• 7/8/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
    Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
    Artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope
    Intro and show-by-show liner notes by Nicholas Meriwether
    Producer's Note by David Lemieux
    Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 15,000
    Release Date: May 13, 2016

Announcing July 1978: The Complete Recordings

We’re pleased to announce JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS, five incredible unreleased shows and the first official release from the long-lost tapes, recently returned to the Grateful Dead’s vault. Follow the Dead on a sonic journey through a superb selection of settings, an often epic adventure that finds them winning over Willie and Waylon fans in Kansas City, conjuring charisma in Omaha, and elevating the Red Rocks beyond their already spiritual planes. With five distinct performances painting the masterpiece of 1978, Betty Cantor-Jackson's always-pristine soundboard recordings, and the "hall-of-fame pedigree" of the Dead's first-ever shows at the legendary Red Rocks Amphitheatre, this is one release that far exceeds excellence in music, sound quality, and rarity.

Limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies, JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS includes Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, MO (7/1/78), St. Paul Civic Center, St. Paul, MN (7/3/78), Omaha Civic Auditorium, Omaha, NE (7/5/78), and Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison CO (7/7/78 and 7/8/78) - all of the performances in this collection are drawn from the band’s master soundboard recordings, each newly mastered by Jeffrey Norman. The set also features original artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope (D.C. and Marvel comics) and in-depth liner notes written by Nick Meriwether (Grateful Dead Archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz), as well as a producer’s note from producer David Lemieux.

Due May 13th, we anticipate that this extraordinary box will sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks right here.

Looking for something a little more byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • cheryleula

Thank You!

• Slow Dog Noodle

just noticed this says sold out. Its about time. I don't know what took so long. This is a fantastic box set.

• eyes43

The first two listening days players are mixed up, on the main page for the July 78 box set. Just thought admin might want to fix that! Peace!

• perithecat

marye , could you have a look at my order number if you can 137400000224478
    ordered on nov 27th and still nothing . any help would be appreciated .

• ecce homo
    Default Avatar
    July 1978: The Complete Recordings delivered today

Hi just an bit of info for people who were in a similar position to me: I ordered the Box Set (as part of a larger order) on 9-21-19, and it arrived today, so a little over 3 months later. I had written CS once (on November 26) and received a reply on December 3 from Warner Music Group Customer Service which read, in part:

Due to a complex warehouse move we now have a significant backlog of both customer inquiries and shipments, and as a result we haven’t been able to deliver at the level that we pride ourselves on.
    For those waiting on their orders, while we wish we could give you an exact estimate as to when your order will ship, we are still awaiting the exact order status details that we urgently want to get to you.
    We are putting 100% of our focus and dedication into a solution to this shipping delay, and are currently working with our warehouse partner to send out outstanding orders.
    We wish we had been able to have communicated this to you sooner, but we had relied on assurances from our warehouse partner that they would be able to quickly resolve the backlog of orders, and they haven’t been able to honor this commitment. We must again apologize for this delay in reaching out to you.
    While it is not our place to be making requests of you, we do hope that you will continue to be patient with us, as we work through these issues and work with our current partner to ship out your order as soon as possible.
    We are genuinely sorry for the delay and inconvenience associated with your order, and we thank you for your patience and understanding to date.

HANG IN THERE FELLOW DEADHEADS!!!!!! AS ALWAYS IT WILL BE WORTH THE WAIT.
    However, I don't see the Box Set currently listed for sale on the Dead's site right now either? My S/N was 091xx of 15000.
    Peace and Happy Hanukkah!

• carlo13

Merry x-mas to you too. Now the july 78 box completely disappeared from the site which makes me nervous. There were still a bunch left too.

• RobbZ

I feel for you, man. I made the mistake of ordering a simple CD (Terrapin Limited--3/15/90) for a Christmas gift some three weeks ago. Alas, it still sits in a "processing" status. Email requests have been answered with the same "robo-response" bullshit. And what makes it even more frustrating is dead.net had absolutely zero problems charging my credit card the day I ordered it...that portion of their logistical process seems to run flawlessly! And by comparison, I ordered other Christmas gifts from the Foo Fighters, Rush, and Pearl Jam websites the same day as my Dead order, and holy shit, like magic, all their merchandise arrived, as ordered, in less than a week.
    This "we're moving our warehouse" excuse has grown pathetic and old...any logistical issues dead.net is having should be transparent to the customer! But allow me to end my complaints with a few suggestions, as I'm the kind of person who won't complain without bringing some solutions to the table....: (1) SHUT DOWN ALL SALES UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO COMPLETE AN ORDER! (2) DO NOT CHARGE THE CUSTOMER UNTIL AFTER A PRODUCT SHIPS!

Merry Christmas All---and Carlo, if you're really Jonesin for those 78 shows, PM me (if it works) I'm sure I have a copy's I could share

• fourwindsblow

It may take a little time be patient.

"Due to a high-volume of email traffic, there will be a delay in response time".

• Kengoesto11

Wish I knew. I was hoping to confirm that the order will be recognized instead of forgotten. So I tried Dr. Rhino and got the same robo-response/apology as regular customer service email. These responses include a reminder that multiple inquiries may further delay an order...so handcuffed, LOL! But I can still play the shamisen and there are far worse things. It's all good.

• carlo13

I also ordered this box 7 weeks ago and still nada. I am waiting patiently because it will eventually ship. I will say it will ship on Dec. 22. What date do you think.

user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

July 1978: The Complete Recordings

What's Inside:

• Five Complete Shows on 12 discs
• 7/1/78 Arrowhead Stadium: Kansas City, MO
• 7/3/78 St. Paul Civic Center Arena: St. Paul, MN
• 7/5/78 Omaha Civic Auditorium: Omaha, NE
• 7/7/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
• 7/8/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
Artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope
Intro and show-by-show liner notes by Nicholas Meriwether
Producer's Note by David Lemieux
Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 15,000
Release Date: May 13, 2016

Announcing July 1978: The Complete Recordings

We’re pleased to announce JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS, five incredible unreleased shows and the first official release from the long-lost tapes, recently returned to the Grateful Dead’s vault. Follow the Dead on a sonic journey through a superb selection of settings, an often epic adventure that finds them winning over Willie and Waylon fans in Kansas City, conjuring charisma in Omaha, and elevating the Red Rocks beyond their already spiritual planes. With five distinct performances painting the masterpiece of 1978, Betty Cantor-Jackson's always-pristine soundboard recordings, and the "hall-of-fame pedigree" of the Dead's first-ever shows at the legendary Red Rocks Amphitheatre, this is one release that far exceeds excellence in music, sound quality, and rarity.

Limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies, JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS includes Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, MO (7/1/78), St. Paul Civic Center, St. Paul, MN (7/3/78), Omaha Civic Auditorium, Omaha, NE (7/5/78), and Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison CO (7/7/78 and 7/8/78) - all of the performances in this collection are drawn from the band’s master soundboard recordings, each newly mastered by Jeffrey Norman. The set also features original artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope (D.C. and Marvel comics) and in-depth liner notes written by Nick Meriwether (Grateful Dead Archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz), as well as a producer’s note from producer David Lemieux.

Due May 13th, we anticipate that this extraordinary box will sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks right here.

Looking for something a little more byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Regarding the process of guessing the upcoming Dave's Picks using clues from bolo: I love the guessing game, but this past/current game (e.g. Dave's Picks 19) has been a bit frustrating. I spent most of my "game time" trying to actually find the clue posted by bolo. I eventually just gave up searching. I'd enjoying trying to guess, but I/we can't make a guess to something we don't know. I suggest bolo re-post the clue. Please re-post the the clue regardless of the expired deadline. Thanks.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 7 months

reminds me of bootleg shirt you would buy outside the venue...kinda cool
user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

I am a concert that took place on a particularly lucky day, one of a dozen in GD history, featuring a precarious mind trip, with music rising to the gates of heaven and plunging to the pit of hell. ________________________________________________________________ I am = Let It Grow (listen to the thunder shout...) Lucky - universal lucky number is 7; particularly lucky would be multiple sevens ( 3 in this case ) Dozen - there are 12 shows that took place on dates containing 3 sevens Dozen = 12. Add " trip " and you get Road Trips 1.2 Rising = Sunrise ( four winds, rising suns...). Also in OMSN Heaven = One More Saturday Night ( 3 mentions ) Hell = Terrapin Station ( will risk uncertain pains of hell...) Put it all together, and the answer is....
user picture

Member for

14 years 9 months

MY ANSWER: a particularly lucky day = 7/11/70 , one of a dozen in GD history = repeated claims that the 7/11/70 tapes are really from 7/12/70 , featuring a precarious mind trip, with music rising to the gates of heaven = = acoustic set ends with 3 Gospel tunes and plunging to the pit of hell = electric set ends with a Viola Lee Blues. One LMA reviewer, speaking about the poor sound of the existing AUD tapes in circulation, says "Sure the quality is crude, but so much better to capture the raw crowd fear of this monstrous Viola, a far cry from the Santa Claus and his cute dancing bears of recent popular imagery." Edited: After looking at Bolo's riddle posts, i realize that my thinking the riddle pertained to DP19 was my own befuddlement. Angry statements about the disappointment of DP19 being a 77 show have been removed.
user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

I never said, inferred or implied the riddle had anything to do with DaP 19. It was just a contest with a prize.
user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Gracias, bolo24.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Wow, that's a heady brew. I'd give props to anyone that came near that before further clues. Even now, I'm still less than sure.. Looks like 10/7/77? Who's afraid of the big, black bat?
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Uh Oh.. its starting again..
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

No point mentioning those bats, I thought. The poor bastard will see them soon enough.

Member for

16 years 11 months

Couple thoughts ~ 4/24 (only 11 left) is on my short list, but it's available elsewhere as Rockin' the Rhein. So perhaps not as urgent, if you're worried about qty left. 5/24 has one of only two Cold Rains played, and the final Pigpen Lovelight (-> Two Souls). Then again, that final Lovelight > Two Souls is bonus on Rockin' the Rhein. 5/23 ~ Top of the World, Comes a Time, Dark Star > Dew, and Hey Bo Diddley...with an Uncle John's encore? Only 19 left..... Would definitely at least snag either 5/23 or 5/24. 4/14 ~ Hopefully you've got 4/17 already. If not, consider this other Tivoli show. Though its Good Lovin > Caution sandwich is filler on the easily obtained Europe '72 remaster. 4/26 ~ two discs worth (including the big disc 3) are, of course, also released as Hundred Year Hall. But I concur with mbarilla's advice to seek the set lists you like best, since all the performances are stellar. *~*~* And I loved Tony Millionaire's covers, too.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

The thing with the bats is.. I cant get anything done when they are around. oh.. and the locusts. We have the 17 year locusts in the foothills this summer, the buggers are everywhere... driving with these bats and Cicadas is pointless.. A quick shoutout to Johnny 361 You are speaking my language. 74 GFD and 73 Garcia, heavenly! Crickets and Cicada's Sing, a rare and different tune.. the Summer of 2016.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Put me down as one who thinks the Tony Millionaire covers are the best of the DaP series.I am not a big fan of the two covers so far this year. I think the July '78 box may be THE best of any GD release. Period. Rock on
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

New Mexico's basketball arena, site of Grateful Dead concert 10/7/77.
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

The prize will make your eyes sparkle, I swung twice and missed. Next up to bat was a guess of 7.1.79 Mydland !!! , also wrong and aways away from first guess of 10.31.66 ,, second guess was 7.7.69, which I thought was honing in a little closer This one is fun too - Today in GD History 6.27.84 - Merriweather Post Pavilion ~ one of the "Holy Grail" shows and some folks on this board were there !?!? Holy smokes what a blast it must have been
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Holy Cr@p, has it been 32 years since those shows? 6/27/85 was quite good as well, they are playing the end of the second set on TIGDH at SiriusXM today. What I remember about the '84 Merriweather run, first.. both shows were really good. Second.. the scene was quite amazing and all things considered, people were fairly well behaved considering deadheads were literally everywhere that week. The night before they opened with a rocking Casey Jones, a song I normally don't have much excitement for but this one had some extra mojo and did something to the crowd, it set the place on fire and that feeling continued on to the next night. Starting with the Help>Slip>Franlins, the second set of 6/27 was a smoker, high energy and a lot of fun. A decent recording survived which wasn't a given back then. You can hear some wear and tear in Garcia's voice at points.. I'm convinced it was a leftover from the efforts on the CJones opener the day before. My fondest memory of the Merriweather runs was the 6/20/83 show though. The storm so intense but the band cut right through it. Through the torrential rains, thunderous claps and lightning strikes, near misses and direct hits the band outperformed mother nature. I left that show, hiking through floodwaters where roads once stood scratching my head wondering what the hell just happened. The "left a smoking crater" line took on a new meaning that night. The rains alone were biblical and the music yards above it all the entire night.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

You are absolutely right, but a better choice of words escapes me.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

First placed my chips on the 3/17/68 ride at the Carousel (St Patrick's Day, one of about a dozen Born Cross-Eyed) and then over to Wembley on 10/31/90 (one of twelve Werewolves). No payout but a grand time playing!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 7 months

How about "they rode the lightning & mated the thunder"? Then at least they're cooperating with Mother Nature, energized by blending with her splendor.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

ok, I'll buy that. It was a scary, good time.. When I talk to some of my friends that were at this show, it seems to evoke strong responses. The reviews on Archive, setlists, etc. seem to back this up. Too bad no soundboards exist for this show, I often suspect the tape deck at the soundboard is one of the things that got struck by lightning that night. It was the first time they played at Merriweather and although probably not the best played of all the shows there its still my favorite. There was something in the air that night in Columbia.. I left slightly different (and better) than I arrived that fateful night in the Summer of '83.
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

I agree with antonjo, you don't want to let 5/23/72 slip away (aka Good Evening, and Welcome to Here): best Promised Land of the tour, Morning Dew, fabulous Dark Star, solid Sugar Mag, the rarities antonjo mentioned - really just an underrated show. Assuming you have Rockin' The Rhein and Steppin' Out, and Hundred Year Hall, 4/24, 4/26, and 5/24 are dispensable - if you're in a must-choose situation. If you don't have Hundred Year Hall, you must pick up 4/26 - it's that good, and the sound is something special too. I'm not sure how many you are looking to pick up, but in addition to 5/23, I would put in a strong call for 5/18. I would hate to have to choose between these two shows, I enjoy them both the same. The guitars are slightly more crispy in 5/18. Let's see, that leaves one more pick, if you're doing 3 and you have RTR, HYH, and Steppin' Out. I would be hard pressed between 4/7 and 5/4 if I didn't have Steppin' Out. 5/4 is definitely the more popular of the two shows, and it boasts the Dark Star that was released on LP (just to let you know how good a Dark Star is there). It also has Uncle John's Band, which was a rarity for E72, believe it or not, and my favorite year for the song (although I enjoy Ladies and Gentelmen version best of all). Yeah, I'd have to go with 5/4 if I had Steppin' Out. 4/7 IS a great underrated show, especially with Truckin' =>The Other One => El Passo => Wharf Rat, so hopefully you have Steppin' Out.
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

12.1.73 ~ juicy wiggle, this show has a few jaw-dropper wipe the the drool quick before someone see moments - and I think closing portion with "UJB" was up on JOTW on Tapers Section within last month Similar levels as highly respected 9.18.74 performance, but way different
user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Hey mbarilla. My "got it" comment was referring to receiving the clue from bolo, not a correct answer. Thanks for the congrats though. One of these days I'll be clever enough to win something.
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

I thought you won, things for me are a little distorted after the weekend, "Community Festival" was this weekend and I spent some time at the infamous "Bozo" stage. Also took a trip to see Dead and Co in Virginia and Phish in Deer creek yesterday
user picture

Member for

9 years 3 months

I rarely declare a best version of anything, but the Stella Blue from Dave's Picks 12 has no equal. Keith's playing is simple but expressive and mood altering, Jerry's vocals are perfect, the harmonies are spot-on, Phil's bass line sounds great, Jerry's solo is so good it sounds like a rehearsed studio run, and Bobby I'm sure is looking good at whatever he's doing.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

No so quick, Minas... we can't have a one paragraph conclusion to a masterpiece such as Stella Blue. I simply cannot pick a favorite version. It could be because the song changed over the years.. and each period is special in its own way. The song grew over time so the pre hiatus, post hiatus and the later years are hard to compare. I will also stick my neck out and say I find each period rewarding in its own way. The youthful versions evoke drawn out sadness in the final notes that is really special and the solo before it leads to that moment, to me it kind of finishes like China Doll and leaves me feeling the same at the end of the song. Like a life is over or a tragic event has unfolded an there is nothing left to do but reflect. The mid 70's have a clean emotive polish that you don't see in the early nor later versions. I can see why the 11/4/77 version caught your attention, its a classic. Practically perfect in every way. Versions in the later periods have something to say too. Jerry worked towards this amazing, cutting sustain with his guitar in the later versions that I think are brilliant and I find mesmerizing. The master and his axe. I have more to say on this.. but later and hope someone else chimes in. Needless to say, its one of the classic Garcia Hunter Ballads. What a great song.
user picture

Member for

11 years 11 months

Out of the recent E72 shows I picked up, 5/18 is definitely an all around awesome show. One of the most interesting Dark Stars of the tour & the whole show is excellent. Great sleeper pick that does not get much mention as being a fantastic show. And it's my favorite artwork of them all.
user picture

Member for

13 years

I am enjoying the heck out of this Merriweather 84 show mentioned yesterday, but Archives keeps freezing on me, (Error loading media: File could not be played message,) right in the middle of great jams! Problem is, you have to restart the entire song, and I was just knee-deep in this 'Slipknot.' This seems to have been happening more and more, both at home and at work... Has anyone else noticed this problem?
user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

listening to VU's Loaded. visiting Rolling Stone.com. Story about Bill Graham. I read it while "Lonesome Cowboy Bill" plays. Love it.
user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

I listened to 11/4/77 last week an this stood out to me as an amazing version. Empassioned. X-Factor. Get some. 11/4/77 is a really good show but I can't get over the hyper-fast Eyes. Whereas 9/3/77 and 10/29/77 are the poster children for a mellow, jazzy Eyes as I recently mentioned, 11/4/77 is very fast and feels rushed. Not my bag. The rest of the show rocks. They also played Eyes the following night on 11/5/77 and it was much more jazzy - almost on par with 10/29/77 and 9/3/77. Almost...
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

I'm sure there are better versions but other 'legendary' examples are 4/21/78 (So Many Roads disc 3) and 'From Egypt with Love' RT 1.4. I especially like the Winterland one with the SBD to Audience splice.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

They are playing the epic 11/11/73 on SiriusXM today. Enjoying the sixth ever To Lay Me Down as I write this and looking forward to the spell bounding Dark Star>Mind Left Body>Eyes of the World>China Doll later this afternoon. Sorry, no Stella, but a great China Doll in its place. Isn't 11/11/73 some sort of lucky number or lucky day? We need to be better prepared for the next artwork challenge.
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

https://archive.org/details/gd69-06-27.sbd.samaritano.20547.sbeok.shnf Bobby sings while Jerry plays pedal steel on Dire Wolf. Officially released as Workingman's Dead bonus track. Psychedelia and Americana combo. TC on organ. 06/27/69 Veterans Auditorium - Santa Rosa, CA Set 1: Slewfoot Mama Tried Dupree's Diamond Blues Me And My Uncle Casey Jones Dire Wolf Dark Star St. Stephen The Eleven Green Green Grass Of Home It's All Over Now Baby Blue Drums https://archive.org/details/gd69-06-28.sbd.samaritano.20548.sbeok.shnf 06/28/69 Veterans Auditorium - Santa Rosa, CA Set 1: Slewfoot Silver Threads Mama Tried Me And My Uncle Doin' That Rag High Time I'm A King Bee Sitting On Top Of The World Turn On Your Love Light Doin' That Rag and High Time are awesome. Pig really shines on King Bee and Lovelight
user picture

Member for

13 years

Walk up to the market to grab some stuff for dinner, (fish tacos, oh yeah!) While strolling, I decide to listen to set II of Hartford, 10/15/83. Get my groceries and head back as the sky darkens with thunder clouds. Get into the house just as Drums is ending, and I go sit on my back deck and watch the thunder clouds swirl like ominous fractals as that gentle Space flows through my earbuds... at the first HUGE crack of lightning and thunder, the boys drop into that rocking 'St. Stephen', the hair stands up on the back of my neck, and I take the dog inside for cover. Summer time with the Grateful Dead. Gotta love it :) If you haven't heard this show, I recommend it, (at least the second set, though the first set has some good tunes in it too... 'Day Job' ;) This was the show the night after the infamous and much maligned 'DP6.' Don't let that scare you away from this one though! Happy days to you all!
user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

Ever since this forum -- that is, where the usual suspects hang out between DaP releases -- digressed to whether pork chops should touch the mashed potatoes I haven't worried about being "off topic"... Listened last night to disc one of GarciaLive 6 and here are some thoughts: It's either super-strong weed, blow or the electric lady, but these guys are on sumpin' and it ain't kool-aid! (Oh wait, perhaps "ice water" is a better analogy here.) The "tunes" really get loose and out there pretty quick and I can feel Jer trying to reel it in, perhaps as he's the singer. (Though without a singer keeping it straight, After Midnight can get loopy pretty quickly.) Also, the tempo is super fast and Jer is having pick much faster than even fast-pickin' Jer normally does. That suggests Peruvian marching powder, to me. By the same token, nothing wrong with the foregoing, because this is a tiny bar and if the boys wished to catch a buzz and get crazy, that's their business. In that sense, this is a good record (yes, I still must explore discs 2 and 3 and will soon) of an impromptu jam that gets loose and out there -- not designed to be tight and release-worthy. And here, it's a far far better loose and out there than the trashy, incoherent GarciaLive 5 from the Nicky Hopkins' New Yrs meltdown set... I could just feel Jer getting pissed at Hopkins during that set and, indeed, Nicky never returned after his "performance" that night. All that said, my third notion is that it is nothing short of remarkable how the band on GarciaLive 6 is the same band that, one week later, turned out the laid back, groovy, soulful sets that became the classic Garcia & Saunders material. I've seen it in outtakes of Hendrix, where 2-3 shitty takes are followed by a magnificent master recording, and I know from personal experience how "loose and out there" can become laid back and soulful when one is shocked/disturbed by one's own performance -- or, simply, when the medications wear off and you're feeling more like the person you saw in the mirror that morning. So, mysteries abound. I'll have more thoughts to disturb y'all after I sip cold tequila and audition the remaining discs. I know you're holding your breath..............
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 8 months

I too hated Eyes played at breakneck pace, often sloppy mush and evoking a very different mood from the original vibe... #2 or #3 on my personal not-what-I-ditched-everything-for shit list from my early days as a tourhound. Thanks to whoever reminded us of that fabulous Giants Stadium show opener in '91, definitely a great night of inspired playing.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

David, they played part of this Santa Rosa show on Today in GD History this am..(perhaps you caught it), Good timing, good show. Up at dawn this am, which this time of the year is way too early. Went down for a soak before I started my day and caught my first listens of the '73 Garcia Live release as the sun came up. I have to admit.. I just had time for My Funny Valentine and Keepers. I thought the version of Valentine they released on Keystone sounded a little more powerful, but I did like what I heard and didn't find it particularly coked out.. but I skipped disc 1. Just after Keepers people were scurrying in the house and I had to put it down. To be revisited, but consider me in the happy with this release camp so far. More to come... so far so good.
user picture

Member for

9 years 3 months

Duck I says.
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

Agree 11.4.77 is top class performance,, when bolo24 revealed the Show for Riddle my mind wandered to a few shows around same date of 10.7.77 The two shows that appeared - 10.12.77 And 9.29.77 , which includes a stellar "Stella Blue" on a similar level as 11.4.77 and 4.21.78
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

Ole Two-gun "Corky" Corcoran.Nice ;)
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Classic. I missed that. I just assumed Minas was going to 'off' me.
user picture

Member for

8 years 2 months

Being that I've not heard much of Jerry outside his usual setting, I am enjoying this set. The mystery trumpeter adds to the fun, as they get jazzy on Valentine and beyond. I have vol4 and that didn't hit me as anything superb, but this new 6 is making the smiles happen. I enjoy the jazzy take on most of the tunes, and Jerrys playing is a new road here for me. Most of you know his chops much much better than I, admittingly but this is a solid CD for me. I took it on a 4 hour ride this past weekend and enjoyed it immensely.
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

I listen to Captain Beefheart more than I listen to Zappa.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Still no sign of my copy of the July 78 box in Melbourne, Australia. This is the first time in quite a while I have had any ordering or delivery problem. Happy Trails
product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/july-1978-the-complete-recordings.html