• 7/8/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
    Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
    Artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope
    Intro and show-by-show liner notes by Nicholas Meriwether
    Producer's Note by David Lemieux
    Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 15,000
    Release Date: May 13, 2016

Announcing July 1978: The Complete Recordings

We’re pleased to announce JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS, five incredible unreleased shows and the first official release from the long-lost tapes, recently returned to the Grateful Dead’s vault. Follow the Dead on a sonic journey through a superb selection of settings, an often epic adventure that finds them winning over Willie and Waylon fans in Kansas City, conjuring charisma in Omaha, and elevating the Red Rocks beyond their already spiritual planes. With five distinct performances painting the masterpiece of 1978, Betty Cantor-Jackson's always-pristine soundboard recordings, and the "hall-of-fame pedigree" of the Dead's first-ever shows at the legendary Red Rocks Amphitheatre, this is one release that far exceeds excellence in music, sound quality, and rarity.

Limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies, JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS includes Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, MO (7/1/78), St. Paul Civic Center, St. Paul, MN (7/3/78), Omaha Civic Auditorium, Omaha, NE (7/5/78), and Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison CO (7/7/78 and 7/8/78) - all of the performances in this collection are drawn from the band’s master soundboard recordings, each newly mastered by Jeffrey Norman. The set also features original artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope (D.C. and Marvel comics) and in-depth liner notes written by Nick Meriwether (Grateful Dead Archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz), as well as a producer’s note from producer David Lemieux.

Due May 13th, we anticipate that this extraordinary box will sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks right here.

Looking for something a little more byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • cheryleula

Thank You!

• Slow Dog Noodle

just noticed this says sold out. Its about time. I don't know what took so long. This is a fantastic box set.

• eyes43

The first two listening days players are mixed up, on the main page for the July 78 box set. Just thought admin might want to fix that! Peace!

• perithecat

marye , could you have a look at my order number if you can 137400000224478
    ordered on nov 27th and still nothing . any help would be appreciated .

• ecce homo
    Default Avatar
    July 1978: The Complete Recordings delivered today

Hi just an bit of info for people who were in a similar position to me: I ordered the Box Set (as part of a larger order) on 9-21-19, and it arrived today, so a little over 3 months later. I had written CS once (on November 26) and received a reply on December 3 from Warner Music Group Customer Service which read, in part:

Due to a complex warehouse move we now have a significant backlog of both customer inquiries and shipments, and as a result we haven’t been able to deliver at the level that we pride ourselves on.
    For those waiting on their orders, while we wish we could give you an exact estimate as to when your order will ship, we are still awaiting the exact order status details that we urgently want to get to you.
    We are putting 100% of our focus and dedication into a solution to this shipping delay, and are currently working with our warehouse partner to send out outstanding orders.
    We wish we had been able to have communicated this to you sooner, but we had relied on assurances from our warehouse partner that they would be able to quickly resolve the backlog of orders, and they haven’t been able to honor this commitment. We must again apologize for this delay in reaching out to you.
    While it is not our place to be making requests of you, we do hope that you will continue to be patient with us, as we work through these issues and work with our current partner to ship out your order as soon as possible.
    We are genuinely sorry for the delay and inconvenience associated with your order, and we thank you for your patience and understanding to date.

HANG IN THERE FELLOW DEADHEADS!!!!!! AS ALWAYS IT WILL BE WORTH THE WAIT.
    However, I don't see the Box Set currently listed for sale on the Dead's site right now either? My S/N was 091xx of 15000.
    Peace and Happy Hanukkah!

• carlo13

Merry x-mas to you too. Now the july 78 box completely disappeared from the site which makes me nervous. There were still a bunch left too.

• RobbZ

I feel for you, man. I made the mistake of ordering a simple CD (Terrapin Limited--3/15/90) for a Christmas gift some three weeks ago. Alas, it still sits in a "processing" status. Email requests have been answered with the same "robo-response" bullshit. And what makes it even more frustrating is dead.net had absolutely zero problems charging my credit card the day I ordered it...that portion of their logistical process seems to run flawlessly! And by comparison, I ordered other Christmas gifts from the Foo Fighters, Rush, and Pearl Jam websites the same day as my Dead order, and holy shit, like magic, all their merchandise arrived, as ordered, in less than a week.
    This "we're moving our warehouse" excuse has grown pathetic and old...any logistical issues dead.net is having should be transparent to the customer! But allow me to end my complaints with a few suggestions, as I'm the kind of person who won't complain without bringing some solutions to the table....: (1) SHUT DOWN ALL SALES UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO COMPLETE AN ORDER! (2) DO NOT CHARGE THE CUSTOMER UNTIL AFTER A PRODUCT SHIPS!

Merry Christmas All---and Carlo, if you're really Jonesin for those 78 shows, PM me (if it works) I'm sure I have a copy's I could share

• fourwindsblow

It may take a little time be patient.

"Due to a high-volume of email traffic, there will be a delay in response time".

• Kengoesto11

Wish I knew. I was hoping to confirm that the order will be recognized instead of forgotten. So I tried Dr. Rhino and got the same robo-response/apology as regular customer service email. These responses include a reminder that multiple inquiries may further delay an order...so handcuffed, LOL! But I can still play the shamisen and there are far worse things. It's all good.

• carlo13

I also ordered this box 7 weeks ago and still nada. I am waiting patiently because it will eventually ship. I will say it will ship on Dec. 22. What date do you think.

user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

July 1978: The Complete Recordings

What's Inside:

• Five Complete Shows on 12 discs
• 7/1/78 Arrowhead Stadium: Kansas City, MO
• 7/3/78 St. Paul Civic Center Arena: St. Paul, MN
• 7/5/78 Omaha Civic Auditorium: Omaha, NE
• 7/7/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
• 7/8/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
Artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope
Intro and show-by-show liner notes by Nicholas Meriwether
Producer's Note by David Lemieux
Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 15,000
Release Date: May 13, 2016

Announcing July 1978: The Complete Recordings

We’re pleased to announce JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS, five incredible unreleased shows and the first official release from the long-lost tapes, recently returned to the Grateful Dead’s vault. Follow the Dead on a sonic journey through a superb selection of settings, an often epic adventure that finds them winning over Willie and Waylon fans in Kansas City, conjuring charisma in Omaha, and elevating the Red Rocks beyond their already spiritual planes. With five distinct performances painting the masterpiece of 1978, Betty Cantor-Jackson's always-pristine soundboard recordings, and the "hall-of-fame pedigree" of the Dead's first-ever shows at the legendary Red Rocks Amphitheatre, this is one release that far exceeds excellence in music, sound quality, and rarity.

Limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies, JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS includes Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, MO (7/1/78), St. Paul Civic Center, St. Paul, MN (7/3/78), Omaha Civic Auditorium, Omaha, NE (7/5/78), and Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison CO (7/7/78 and 7/8/78) - all of the performances in this collection are drawn from the band’s master soundboard recordings, each newly mastered by Jeffrey Norman. The set also features original artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope (D.C. and Marvel comics) and in-depth liner notes written by Nick Meriwether (Grateful Dead Archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz), as well as a producer’s note from producer David Lemieux.

Due May 13th, we anticipate that this extraordinary box will sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks right here.

Looking for something a little more byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day.

user picture

Member for

15 years 2 months

Crazy Fingers from this year's 30 days of Dead (7/13/76), is just spectacular. 15 minutes of perfection, 2 great long jams. I had missed downloading and saw it on Spotify a couple weeks ago, can't quit listening to it.On a related note, anyone that downloaded it when it was up feel like sharing? I'm guessing since it's just a single file it could be emailed. PM me if you wouldn't mind it.
user picture

Member for

15 years 2 months

thought it was too late to download Everybody should check this one out
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

I've been going thru the iTunes list and adding the number of beats before B.I.O.D.T.L.Don't know why other than it's funny & I'm crazy. As in: 7-5-78 from the new Rocks Box.....B.I.O.D.T.L.(12) :) Have fun out there.Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke.
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

JRF68 - That's pretty funny - I've been listening to Download Series '72, and you can hear them discussing how many beats they're going to do before they get started. Jerry says, "47??? that's too many, I get confused after 3......" Speaking of Stella, I like the 3 that got mentioned a whole lot, but I really dig this '72 version on the DL series. It's cool to hear them performing it stand-alone with that '72 sound. Gentlemen - we need an official '73 Bird Song
user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

.... Phil and Friends will be at Lockn this year. Also,,, Dead & Company is selling the whole 2016 summer tour at Nugs.net? My buddy has bought the entire tour (so it's still coming in). I've only skimmed the first 10 shows he sent me, some really good shit. But the recordings are outstanding!
user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

why is 10/14/83 "maligned"? Disc 2 is very nice indeed. another synchronicity: driving around Seattle listening to the Oddities 66 disc. Walking the Dog plays while I'm at a stop light. Of course someone crosses in front of me...walking their dog. :)
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

I gave a few listens to these and I myself will have to go with the slower versions. Not that the faster ones are bad, I just prefer the slower ones. Rock on
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

I don't think that is weird at all. Every time I hear BIODTL, I also find myself counting the beats to the intro. Fun times! Rock on
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

A true R'n'R pioneer! Time to pull out those Sun 78's...
user picture

Member for

9 years 2 months

I've never listened to it, heard it's not that good - what does KeithFan say (since you are listening to '72?)
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

I was listening to the RT Full Show Download from Philly and I'll be if they weren't still in full on jam mode well past 20 minutes into Eyes of the World. I thought it was at a fairly chunky tempo, too. Not real sped up like some the late '70's - early '80's ones. Unfortunately, my listening session got interrupted otherwise I would have enjoyed the rest of the segment: Eyes>Estimated>Franklin's>Space>Drums>Space...I'll have to get back to it. Anyone know the longest Eyes? My guess is it's either this one or a 90's version.
user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Wilfred, this Eyes of the World of which you speak from the Spectrum 11/5/79 was also the one that immediately came to my mind as the longest one I am aware of - clocks in at 23:11 by my count. And man, what a trifecta with Eyes > Estimated > Franklin's. If there is a longer one out there (not meandering but on-point) it would be cool to know. This is I think my favorite GD song - in fact when I first sought out tapes, I would seek out shows with Eyes of the World as I found them all fascinating. It also taught me very early on how the band could birth a song with one structure and tempo, and then have it go through many manifestations through the years. Some of my favorite versions span the decades alike - the very first time it was played on 2/9/73 is perhaps one of the finest ever played IMHO. I also really dig the pre-hiatus versions with the long outro jams as well as the 'early summer '76 versions with the long outro jam played BEFORE the first verse instead (my fav of all time being 6/11/76). Even when they started speeding it up I didn't mind so much but then in the 80's it seemed to have out-paced itself and the jamming seemingly went away - only to then get slowed down again and resurrected at Albany in spring '90 wherein it stayed in that format until the end. I Am also a fan of the midi- in the later years; I am aware of at least one version from Boston Garden in late September 94 (9/29/94 to be exact) where Jerry plays the intro with the midi-flute, which is pretty cool and unique. It seems there can be something to love about this song for everyone, depending on preference and era but overall it has always exemplified for me both the mastery of the song imbued with the ongoing adaptation that makes the GD so unique through time and space. Enjoy the day, All. Sixtus
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

I believe I have all of these and I enjoy the heck out of all of them and I do not see any issues. Perhaps I am not discriminating enough? Who cares! I love them! Rock on
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

I enjoyed the download series, but lost a few because of a disc crash (they have since been replaced). I think the consensus many of the DL series shows were "B" shows and I am not convinced they ever got the Full Norman treatment. I heard they pulled the plug on the series due to poor sales, likely the result of copying and sharing. Without the physical product, there is no difference between a purchased and pirated copy.. Nice Eyes conversation. It took me a while to get used to the Peruvian paced Eyes.. but they were fun for a while. Still I was glad to see them slow it down a tad and I often wondered why the faster Eyes of the World got, the slower Friend of the Devil got. I think I wrote a couple weeks ago it was one of the songs that attracted me towards the light. It has the elastic grove that is classic GD. Edit: Looks like hbob and I replied at the same time. Good thing we both agreed we like them :D
user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Jim excellent point about Friend of the Devil. Wonder why they slowed it down SO MUCH?? a treat was hearing the version from the meet up at the movies that opened that second set at Sullivan Stadium - it was a blatantly faster pace but obviously still not the near-bluegrass scorcher they used to do acoustically. I have always wondered why they never brought that back to its original form; the Sullivan Stadium show is the only one in later years I am aware of that came close, but then again I could be very wrong on that take too. Anyone aware of other times they sped it up again that are worth a listen? Sixtus
user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

A long and unique Eyes is 9/11/74 Alexandra Palace. Ned Lagin sits in with the band. From Playing in the Band to end the first set, the Phil and Ned (that Jerry and Bill join around the 15 minute mark) and the Eyes is an hour and a half!!! The Eyes of the World is 31 minutes with the jam going into Wharf Rat.
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

bob t - yup thats the one, with all the good stuff surrounding this "Eyes of the World" makes this one heck of a sequence
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 7 months

I hate to be repetitive, but with all the recent "Eyes of the World" references, I've can't help but re-mention that that song title is a direct shout-out to one of the most enlightening books ever written: "You Are The Eyes Of The World" by Longchenpa (1308-1364), one of the highest masters of Tibetan Buddhism to ever walk the planet.
user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

mbarilla, glad you like that sequence also. I hope one day after they have released everything, and they go back to Dave's Pick 7 or the 74 Winterland shows that they released parts of, and they will release the whole shows. I think 10.16.74 is the closest version of this show as far as the jam goes. I have the cassette tapes from when i traded in the 80's, but they are 30 years old! Bob
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

Another fine old folk tune covered by our favorite band. Once I got on a kick digging up as many versions of this as I could. This is another tune that will have a tempo range from slow as winter molasses to greased lightenin' bluegrass. Be thankful yer livin...
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

This is actually kind of a funny story. I bought them all to complete my collection, but never listened to them, because I have too much other "required Dead listening" queued up ahead of it. Two weeks ago, I spoke to a buddy who I don't see much, to plan 4th of July activities. He was not a Dead Head last 4th of July, but he commented how good they sounded when I had the Fare Thee Well shows playing. He told me he's not listened to anything BUT the Dead for the past year. When I asked which albums he picked up, he said the Download Series. So I'm thinking he just downloaded some albums off iTunes, but he's like no, it's called "Download Series", everything in the series from the 60s & 70s. I was befuddled. There's someone out there who loves the Dead and ONLY knows them by the DL series - and swears by it (we're talking A++ ratings across the board, it can't possibly get any better, best 10 live shows ever played, etc). So, 1972 came highly recommended. I've been enjoying it for a few days. Set list & bonus material A+; performance A+; stage banter A-; audio B; historical significance = first post'E72 official release (which also means no Pigpen), and it's one of only two released summer shows from '72 (Veneta is the other; everything else came in the fall, or late September at least), so I would say it's a worthwhile acquisition, because 1972 is so damn good. I can't comment much on any other shows, except '76, which is decent and '77. Which sounds like every other show from April '77. I agree with JimMD (aka Dr Jimmy) - the audio on '72 and '76 sounds a bit under-produced.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....Wasserman! Really! Saw him and Weir three times. 2016 continues to sink into the shittiest year ever for the music muses. Enough already....
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....truly sorry for your loss. The Heavenly Band just called up a truly classic bassist. And to Bob. I've got a shoulder here if you need it....
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

Hey 2016! ENOUGH ALREADY!!
user picture

Member for

16 years 7 months

Damn. Didn't see that coming. "The whole world seems so cold today..." Thanks Rob for so many great listening experiences.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 5 months

Wishing you safe travels. Seeing you with Bob in 1995 and the infancy of Ratdog, got me through some trying times. My deepest sympathy to your family. Thanks for sharing your time and gifts. Cheers
user picture

Member for

13 years

Covered in full/by: Let it Be / Spring 71 Dead When's that sea side chat, Dave?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

Rob Wasserman
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 6 months

I can't recall another year when we lost so many musicians.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

RIP Rob, 64 is too young. Got a complete, uninterrupted listen to the new Garcia Live '73 San Anselmo show last night. My opinions have changed since my first listen of select tunes. When they get dialed in on this one, they really take this somewhere. Favorites include the recording, My Funny Valentine, Like a Road, the Second that Emotion, Night the Drove Old Dixie Down and How Sweet it is are really nice too. The trumpet on Valentine and Merl's Tune is really well done and makes this a little special. Once these guys get dialed in, they have great chemistry together. Wow, what a treat.
user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

I had only seen yesterday in the span of a few hours saying Mr. Wasserman was gravely ill only then to be followed shortly thereafter that he passed into the clearing at the end of the path. RIP, Friend. The reality is that time moves on, and our time will come one day; but so many of our heroes are getting ever closer by the day. Would be nice for it to slow down, but alas. Sixtus P.S. Thanks for the hint on the 9/11/74 Eyes; I have this on a very old CDR which I don't think plays in any of my CD players anymore so its been a while since I've listened to this one, but I do recall Ned playing the keys on there too giving it a little extra umph. I hadn't realized the length of it though - will need to hit the archive for a listen.
user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

RIP Rob - you tore it up. DL series: I always felt these were not the best shows/recordings available. Good, but a slight step down from the DP/RT/DaP series. KeithFan, It will be interesting to hear your friend's reaction after hearing some of the DP, DaP and other stuff that he seems likely to migrate to. Listening to the Dead and Company shows from Citified this past weekend - stunned at how good they sound. Clearly a step up from the Nov Mpls show I saw, which was stellar. Can't wait to see them at Fenway. I didn't want to like Mayer with them, but Wow, he can play. A wonderful new chapter, and a great time to be a Deadhead.
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Yeah Thin,wo I'm going Veneta on him this weekend. It's funny to me, that we all turn our nose up to these DL series shows, but to the uninitiated, they're gold. Kind of like smoking weed for the first time - it could be swag, but you're still going to enjoy it. Listening to Veneta now. Gunther.....your child is is in the child care kiddie center....your child's name is Carl, if you forgot.... I love The ongoing lost child saga that goes on throughout the show. Who does the Springfield Creamery know in the Dead anyway? Keith Godchaux, Keith Godchaux ladies and gentlemen....
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

I warned my wife at the beginning of this year, that unfortunately this is a trend that is going to continue with increased frequency. Most of my / our musical heroes from the 60's & 70's are now reaching the age of 70 years old or better so their demise becomes more imminent with each passing day. Even our own Mr. Weir is 69 now. Makes Keef even more of an amazing legend then he already is! Rock on
user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

Otis said: "Let it Be / Spring 71 Dead. When's that sea side chat, Dave?" Yeah, make it a returned tape treat from 1970-71... sumpin' they "haven't done before..." Bring on the grease!!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 11 months

also there was a great cbs sunday morning with mayer and weir, i believe aired on 6/12 and can find segments on youtube about this. weir notes dead and company have reached the second plateau now and will eventually reach a third. just go and see dead and company if they're anywhere near you!
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

The Springfield Creamery was owned by Chuck Kesey, Ken's bro', so there is the connection for the Dead doing a benefit concert I think it speaks volumes about the Dead, that the show did not raise enough money on its own to save the Creamery so the Dead kicked in the rest of the money to get it done! Absolutely awesome!!! Rock on
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 7 months

Veneta: a favorite Dark Star for sure. On DVD, Jerry seems ecstatically transfixed during DS, like the extreme (weather) heat that day couldn't touch him.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

I was the kid sitting in the tire at the beginning of Jack Straw. Damn dog stole my donut. (kidding, but I did look him at 12 months) By the way, anyone seen my parents? Still looking...
user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

As all have said, we are having one of the worst rolling 12 month periods as far as losing wonderful musicians. Rob was one of my favorite bass players. Loved his unique gift on the big axe. I have not seen much post Jerry music but saw Ratdog at the Ryman in Nashville in 2002. It was a fun show, and the heads were everywhere. But my little Rob story goes like this. He was opening for the band Particle in my little backwater town in say 2005. It was just him for like 45 minutes and then he also came out and played for another 30 minutes with Particle. There were probably 150 people there. Very intimate. Steve Molitz commented, "who knew you could have this much fun on a Tuesday night in Podunk." Name changed. Well I was pounding some beers and go into the clubs clean but ecletic bathroom. As I am at the urinal, who walks in uses the urinal next to me but Mr. Wasserman. I made some joke to whcih he laughed. He was an extreme gentleman. I started talking to him about Ratdog and the Ryman as we washed hands an all. As we walked out, we continued chatting and he stayed close, not running me off. Ended up chatting with for close to a half an hour. It was so much fun as I was extremely impressed with his skills and although I did not drool over him, he knew how to answer my questions and how to engage me also. Thanks forever Rob for that night. In no way was I expecting it. He will be truly missed. RIP G
user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

I watched Venetta last Friday. Every month or two I have to watch some video. Got to see the boys practice their craft. When I got the crummy board tapes of the show in the late 80's, everyone I knew called it Kesey's Creamery and that is how the tapes were labelled. The classic show has several names but I think Kesey's Creamery is/was the most recognized moniker.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years

i really like Family Dog Great Highway '70 release a lot despite what people say about sloppy playing, 3/17/68 is a great one at the Carousel. The Other oNe at Washington University 4/17/69 is incredible, Springer's Inn 1/18/70 is also pretty cool. I think my next download will be either the 72 or 73 release.
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Dr Jimmy - that's so funny that you mentioned donut-baby from Sunshine Daydream. I had it on when it came out a couple of years ago, and my 4 year old daughter was with me. Right before they show donut-baby with all of that chocolate on his face, there is a shot of Jerry, and I said, "look - there's Jerry Garcia"; a moment later that filthy baby came onscreen and she said, "eewwww, is that Pigpen?" Prior to that, she had been infinitely amused that the Grateful Dead had a band member named Pigpen, as she is a big Peanuts fan, and knows all about "the little boy who needs to take a tubby".
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

juicy wiggle filler on almost eveyone of them and I will always want to know the filler they were going to use on 4.24.78 , which was supposedly next in line for DL series Here is a few highlights among the many ~ Download Series Volume 4 = nearly flawless !!!!! ~ Download Series Volume 7 = "Candyman" is phenomenal along with "Space -> He's Gone" MYDLAND !!!!! ~ Download Series Family Dog at the Great Highway = "Dancin in the Streets" one of the most mesmerizing jams packs a punch and will lift you off your feet !!!!! ~ Download Series Volume 10= "Ramble on Rose" a dream come true for lovers of Captain Trips and Keith Godchaux !!!!! This series was most appreciated by me at work, on the road when internet was not an option, and walks with the dog, Mr. Charlie. He is especially fond of Download Series Volume 7 !!!!!
user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

I once met Luther "Guitar Junior" Johnson (Chicago blues man - check out his tune "Doin the Sugar Too") in the bathroom - at the urinals - at a Chicago Blues Review show he was playing in Europe. He was so happy to have found an English speaker besides his own troupe that he invited to the back room of the club - backstage. So blues guitar man Jimmy Dawkins was topping the bill - He was pounding Jim Beam straight from the bottle and in a foul mood - they'd been on the road for a month and were clearly all sick of each other. He saw me and barked "What's that CRACKER doin' in here?!" and took a few steps toward me, wagging a finger at me. The backup singers all looked at me like I smelled funny. Luther (who is HUGE) immediately barked back "He's cool - he's with ME...". Jimmy Dawkins glared at me but lowered his finger, and gave up. Next thing Luther is rolling a blunt with littles pieces of hash sprinkled in - just hanging with me, smoking a fatty, and talking about how he can't wait get home again. It turned out it his dad had died the day before, and he was leaving the tour the next day to go the funeral. He just wanted someone to talk to and hang with. The show started and back in our seats I told my friends where i had been - told them the whole story. Luther's set sizzled and he had tears streaming down his face as he played at one point - he just let his emotions go. My friends and I were the only one who knew his dad had just passed - a very intense live music moment. At the end of that song I remember saying "I think that one was for his Dad".
product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/july-1978-the-complete-recordings.html