• 7/8/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
    Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
    Artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope
    Intro and show-by-show liner notes by Nicholas Meriwether
    Producer's Note by David Lemieux
    Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 15,000
    Release Date: May 13, 2016

Announcing July 1978: The Complete Recordings

We’re pleased to announce JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS, five incredible unreleased shows and the first official release from the long-lost tapes, recently returned to the Grateful Dead’s vault. Follow the Dead on a sonic journey through a superb selection of settings, an often epic adventure that finds them winning over Willie and Waylon fans in Kansas City, conjuring charisma in Omaha, and elevating the Red Rocks beyond their already spiritual planes. With five distinct performances painting the masterpiece of 1978, Betty Cantor-Jackson's always-pristine soundboard recordings, and the "hall-of-fame pedigree" of the Dead's first-ever shows at the legendary Red Rocks Amphitheatre, this is one release that far exceeds excellence in music, sound quality, and rarity.

Limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies, JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS includes Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, MO (7/1/78), St. Paul Civic Center, St. Paul, MN (7/3/78), Omaha Civic Auditorium, Omaha, NE (7/5/78), and Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison CO (7/7/78 and 7/8/78) - all of the performances in this collection are drawn from the band’s master soundboard recordings, each newly mastered by Jeffrey Norman. The set also features original artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope (D.C. and Marvel comics) and in-depth liner notes written by Nick Meriwether (Grateful Dead Archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz), as well as a producer’s note from producer David Lemieux.

Due May 13th, we anticipate that this extraordinary box will sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks right here.

Looking for something a little more byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • cheryleula

Thank You!

• Slow Dog Noodle

just noticed this says sold out. Its about time. I don't know what took so long. This is a fantastic box set.

• eyes43

The first two listening days players are mixed up, on the main page for the July 78 box set. Just thought admin might want to fix that! Peace!

• perithecat

marye , could you have a look at my order number if you can 137400000224478
    ordered on nov 27th and still nothing . any help would be appreciated .

• ecce homo
    Default Avatar
    July 1978: The Complete Recordings delivered today

Hi just an bit of info for people who were in a similar position to me: I ordered the Box Set (as part of a larger order) on 9-21-19, and it arrived today, so a little over 3 months later. I had written CS once (on November 26) and received a reply on December 3 from Warner Music Group Customer Service which read, in part:

Due to a complex warehouse move we now have a significant backlog of both customer inquiries and shipments, and as a result we haven’t been able to deliver at the level that we pride ourselves on.
    For those waiting on their orders, while we wish we could give you an exact estimate as to when your order will ship, we are still awaiting the exact order status details that we urgently want to get to you.
    We are putting 100% of our focus and dedication into a solution to this shipping delay, and are currently working with our warehouse partner to send out outstanding orders.
    We wish we had been able to have communicated this to you sooner, but we had relied on assurances from our warehouse partner that they would be able to quickly resolve the backlog of orders, and they haven’t been able to honor this commitment. We must again apologize for this delay in reaching out to you.
    While it is not our place to be making requests of you, we do hope that you will continue to be patient with us, as we work through these issues and work with our current partner to ship out your order as soon as possible.
    We are genuinely sorry for the delay and inconvenience associated with your order, and we thank you for your patience and understanding to date.

HANG IN THERE FELLOW DEADHEADS!!!!!! AS ALWAYS IT WILL BE WORTH THE WAIT.
    However, I don't see the Box Set currently listed for sale on the Dead's site right now either? My S/N was 091xx of 15000.
    Peace and Happy Hanukkah!

• carlo13

Merry x-mas to you too. Now the july 78 box completely disappeared from the site which makes me nervous. There were still a bunch left too.

• RobbZ

I feel for you, man. I made the mistake of ordering a simple CD (Terrapin Limited--3/15/90) for a Christmas gift some three weeks ago. Alas, it still sits in a "processing" status. Email requests have been answered with the same "robo-response" bullshit. And what makes it even more frustrating is dead.net had absolutely zero problems charging my credit card the day I ordered it...that portion of their logistical process seems to run flawlessly! And by comparison, I ordered other Christmas gifts from the Foo Fighters, Rush, and Pearl Jam websites the same day as my Dead order, and holy shit, like magic, all their merchandise arrived, as ordered, in less than a week.
    This "we're moving our warehouse" excuse has grown pathetic and old...any logistical issues dead.net is having should be transparent to the customer! But allow me to end my complaints with a few suggestions, as I'm the kind of person who won't complain without bringing some solutions to the table....: (1) SHUT DOWN ALL SALES UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO COMPLETE AN ORDER! (2) DO NOT CHARGE THE CUSTOMER UNTIL AFTER A PRODUCT SHIPS!

Merry Christmas All---and Carlo, if you're really Jonesin for those 78 shows, PM me (if it works) I'm sure I have a copy's I could share

• fourwindsblow

It may take a little time be patient.

"Due to a high-volume of email traffic, there will be a delay in response time".

• Kengoesto11

Wish I knew. I was hoping to confirm that the order will be recognized instead of forgotten. So I tried Dr. Rhino and got the same robo-response/apology as regular customer service email. These responses include a reminder that multiple inquiries may further delay an order...so handcuffed, LOL! But I can still play the shamisen and there are far worse things. It's all good.

• carlo13

I also ordered this box 7 weeks ago and still nada. I am waiting patiently because it will eventually ship. I will say it will ship on Dec. 22. What date do you think.

user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

July 1978: The Complete Recordings

What's Inside:

• Five Complete Shows on 12 discs
• 7/1/78 Arrowhead Stadium: Kansas City, MO
• 7/3/78 St. Paul Civic Center Arena: St. Paul, MN
• 7/5/78 Omaha Civic Auditorium: Omaha, NE
• 7/7/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
• 7/8/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
Artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope
Intro and show-by-show liner notes by Nicholas Meriwether
Producer's Note by David Lemieux
Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 15,000
Release Date: May 13, 2016

Announcing July 1978: The Complete Recordings

We’re pleased to announce JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS, five incredible unreleased shows and the first official release from the long-lost tapes, recently returned to the Grateful Dead’s vault. Follow the Dead on a sonic journey through a superb selection of settings, an often epic adventure that finds them winning over Willie and Waylon fans in Kansas City, conjuring charisma in Omaha, and elevating the Red Rocks beyond their already spiritual planes. With five distinct performances painting the masterpiece of 1978, Betty Cantor-Jackson's always-pristine soundboard recordings, and the "hall-of-fame pedigree" of the Dead's first-ever shows at the legendary Red Rocks Amphitheatre, this is one release that far exceeds excellence in music, sound quality, and rarity.

Limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies, JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS includes Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, MO (7/1/78), St. Paul Civic Center, St. Paul, MN (7/3/78), Omaha Civic Auditorium, Omaha, NE (7/5/78), and Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison CO (7/7/78 and 7/8/78) - all of the performances in this collection are drawn from the band’s master soundboard recordings, each newly mastered by Jeffrey Norman. The set also features original artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope (D.C. and Marvel comics) and in-depth liner notes written by Nick Meriwether (Grateful Dead Archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz), as well as a producer’s note from producer David Lemieux.

Due May 13th, we anticipate that this extraordinary box will sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks right here.

Looking for something a little more byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

I figure once all hope has faded..then we will get the #19 announcement. I guess it's all juicy wiggle in the end eh? Note: DaP 15 seaside chat was Published on Jul 15, 2015. Another week? yargh!!! Now that you point it out..that M80 is pretty loud during Ship of Fools. I guess it was pretty close to the 4th..
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

in the comment sections on archive.org someone who went to the 7/5 show someone set off an m80 in the venue during ship of fools
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

That was a great line from Doc, wasn't it? Thin - yeah, I feel the same way, that's why I called it a Dave Phase. It just doesn't resonate with me like it used to. Haven't seen them or listened to them since just before LeRoi died. It may come back around some day. I used to listen to Zeppelin a lot too, but that doesn't happen much anymore either. Gary Farseer - yeah, Grey Street is great, it just isn't on any of the shows I put in the list. If I was talking greatest hits, I wouldn't have been able to stop at 20 lol. Besides Grey Street, I would have needed to get Crush in there, #41, If I Had It All, Louisiana Bayou, Hello Again, Everyday, Ants Marching from Luther College (is that not THE best version???), and What You Are live from the expanded Everyday CD (man this version is good!!). Dr Jimmy - did you see New Deadland??? Dantian - I'm both a Rush and Kiss fan, but as One Man pointed out, they really don't intersect, so it's tough to make a Dead recommendation. I would go with a mix for your buddy. These are the Dead songs that caught me early on: Bird Song, Promised Land, Bertha (Veneta); Sugar Magnolia, Lovelight, Wharf Rat, Playing In The Band, Not Fade Away I (Rhein); Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad (E72 5/10/72); Not Fade Away II (E72 4/16/72); Uncle John's Band, Ripple, Midnight Hour, Dark Star=> St. Stephen (Ladies & Gentlemen); The Eleven (Two From The Vault); Franklin's Tower (Go To Nassau); Estimated Prophet, The Wheel, The Other One (DP 18); Eyes Of The World stand-alone that you requested (Live From The Cow Palace; if not standalone, One From The Vault has a drum solo in it, and So Many Roads has the uncut Movie Soundtrack version - so so good); Help On The Way => Slipknot! => Franklin's Tower (One From The Vault); The Music Never Stopped (DaP 7); Scarlet Begonias => Fire On The Mountain (May 1977 Box Set, Tuscaloosa); Mississippi Half-Step, Brown-Eyed Women, Peggy-O (DaP 1); Truckin' (E72 4/14/72); Stagger Lee, I Need A Miracle, and Dark Star => The Other One => Dark Star (Closing Of Winterland); Iko Iko (Crimson White & Indigo); Greatest Story Ever Told => Johnny B. Goode (Three From The Vault); Morning Dew (Movie Soundtrack); Brokedown Palace (E72 5/25/72); Jack Straw (E72 5/23/72); China Cat Sunflower (E72 5/3/72) => I Know You Rider (E72 5/24/72); Samson & Delilah (To Terrapin: Hartford '77); Shakedown Street (Rocking The Cradle: Egypt 1978); Black-Throated Wind (E72 5/18/72);
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....I was playing that Omaha Ship Of Fools on the way to work today. That M80 definitely caught my attention....
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

3/27/88 I was at that one also. How is the download series of it? Still have the old audience cassette.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

The download series of this is good. Ballet of a Thin Man, To Lay Me Down and Let it Grow are the highlights for me of the first set. The Scarlet Fire Estimated Eyes is the highlight of the second set. The recording is typical of the era, Jerry's a little raspy. The So What tease before Sugar Magnolia is a novelty at best... but to me its what I remember from Spring '88. I tried real hard to catch the Hampton shows even though I wasn't living that close to VA at the time. Not sure why... I think catching the Box of Rain breakout in '86 is what kept pulling me towards that spaceship each spring. A few songs made their way to YouTube, here is the Eyes of the World. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I1OTu4jN7Q&feature=related
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

Have a great weekend, know you deserve some time off. Has it really been 3 months since birth. Wow time does truly travel...
user picture

Member for

8 years 1 month

Since there are two anniversary shows right around the corner from the latest box set (7/7/78 and 7/8/78), I'm guessing the DaP 19 announcement won't come until at least 7/9. But since that leaves a lot of scope for being right, I'll put my nickle down on a July 11 announcement. I had a draft reply to the Dave Phase thread all ready to go yesterday and then somehow closed the tab before sending. D'oh! Nonetheless, I'm totally in agreement with everyone is saying. Used to listen a lot and see them live. Have lots of the live releases. Still like them a lot, but don't listen much. I fall into a Dave phase now and then and listen a lot for a week or two. When I do, I end up thinking about how DMB was on top of the world and then, what seems like almost overnight, they were yesterday's news. Then I think: How did the Dead manage to do it for 30 years... Then I think: Boy-howdy, I could go for a nice jazzy Dark Star right about now. And then DMB is forgotten and the cycle begins anew. Come to think of it, I could substitute just about any of the other artists I used to listen to (or currently listen to) for DMB in the above, and it would still be true. My wife thinks it's a sickness...
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

Jim, thanks for the info on Hampton 88 DL Series, I think #5. I plan to get that one and maybe the Pittsburg 89 to start. Keith and others. I have been a big fan of DMB, Phish, and Widespread Panic for 20 plus years. I do occasionally use them as a palette cleanse but the days of really paying attention have come and gone. I was floored by the 50th anniversary announcement last year, I just was not paying attention or aware. So youth, nostalgia everything pulled me back in close to the boys universe. I was still listening to about 15 hours a week of GD music but mostly old stuff (audience and boards) off the archive. Was not really buying official releases. Then, particularly the June/July FTW shows hit me hard. Made me reminisce about youth and fun and all. Ending up buying about $3,500 worth of release in the last 6 months of 2015. Been on a tear ever since. Ordered E72 on 7/4 last year as the FTW shows were going on after ordering the 30 TATS box. But I too need to cleanse the palette occasionally . I say I listen to 97% GD, 2% other GD things, and 1% Phish, DMB, and Widespread Panic. I would go see Phish and DMB if they came to my town but my days of traveling for concerts has closed. Maybe, occasionally Nashville. As we wait for the 19 announcement, here is a little palette cleanse if any one needs it. From my home town back in February. I had posted then that my home town was lightening up a little and let the party rage. Police were giving out free bottles of water afterward, instead of busting people going in, during, or trying to drive away. Made me feel a little better. The first post is in black and white the second is in color. It is Widespread Panic and it is from their official posting. Why they posted the first one in black and white I have no idea. From a song perspective, post 2 is actually first and leads directly into post 1's songs. But post 1 has the better song jams . https://www.facebook.com/widespreadpanic/videos/vb.5834737661/101545917… https://www.facebook.com/widespreadpanic/videos/vb.5834737661/101545849… Just in case anyone needs a palette cleanse
user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

KeithFan - I hear you on the Led Zep and only being able to listen to so much. How many times can you listen to the same version of any song? Heck, I panicked when I realized I only had 20 Help>Slip>Franklins. As I have said, I worship Stevie Ray Vaughan and its frustrating how little of his stuff is there to enjoy in good sound quality. I shudder to imagine if the GD hadn't recorded so much and preserved it carefully.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 6 months

JiminMD: Love the way you typed "Ballet of a Thin Man" instead of "Ballad." It would be kewl to see Mr. Jones in a tutu!
user picture

Member for

8 years 1 month

Well maybe not everyday, but when the mood strikes, it's a full course meal.Not huge on their boots, but the new remastered are sweet and I'm still a fan. My first live show was LZ in Tampa 6/77.
user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

one-syllable lyrics (check it out) except party. and firehouse. theater appealing to prurient interests (nobody else has ever done that) juvenile pap enough dissing one man's opinion
user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

yeah. and Exploited although kind of out of that phase. why am I typing
user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

where is itwhere is it where is it oink MELKWEG don't want 50% off Sit (on) Your Face bar stools don't want coffee mugs don't want none dat I want MUSIC new DAVE'S PICKS please
user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

TTATS releases have been great, but I am having difficulty getting off on 11/28/80. I called NFA > Black Peter. if it goes into A&A > GL I will scream. OK, Sugar Magnolia. 11/3/65 7/3/66 11/10/67 10/20/68 2/22/69 3/18/71 9/24/72 9/18/74 9/28/75 5/16/81 are all great. set list of 80 show good for a bit there...To Lay Me Down and Let It Grow in the second set but so far after that...meh. it shoulda been 9/6/80 grumble grumblkins
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

..yep, that's a typo that will slip through spell check.
user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

97% GD 2.5%, essentially in order The Band Ryan Adams Traffic Remaining 0.5% Wilco (with Billy Bragg) Pink Floyd Freddy Jones Band From Good Homes Little Feat Dylan Bid Head Todd Bands that are great, but I have outgrown The big three, Beatles, LZ, RS Bands that can play the notes, but can't make the music DMB WSP UM SCI And sadly, almost every iteration of the band since Garcia's passing. I try, but just can't get there. Yeah. I said I have outgrown the Beatles. How can you develop a song in three minutes or less?
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....I like the Milkweg theory. They played three shows there. First Spoonful ever. First Lovelight, Ain't No Lie, Far From Me and Gloria in a while. Only Hully Gully. Loads of acoustic stuff. Hmmmm.....
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

I'm going to work on it this weekend, no doubt agonizing over every decision, trying to keep in mind this is the first time he's hearing this stuff and trying to make the best choices in that respect. Should be a fun project though. If I'm feeling brave enough, I may even post what I eventually come up with ;)
user picture

Member for

15 years 11 months

Good morning rockers!!! When I want a break from the Dead, I go way back in the alley: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eriK3nD4bQ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWLAAzOBoBI https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpKB6OZ_B4c Always fun to re=explore the roots of how wee got here........... Rock on rockers!!! Doc
user picture

Member for

9 years 3 months

I thought the Dave Matthews Band was still alive and thriving. Are they not still touring and playing the arenas and outdoor amphitheaters?
user picture

Member for

8 years 1 month

You're right Minas, DMB is still alive! The Google Machine tells me they're playing in Columbus, OH tomorrow night, and in various (mostly eastern) venues through the summer. I never seem to hear anything about them anymore, and I stopped actively paying attention a while back, so that's my bad. Any Buckeyes going to the show tomorrow?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 8 months

Usually takes about 10 days. Try to avoid headphones. And other people. I start with about a day of Pharoah Sanders' best, pretty much anything up to 1972. Then the Art Ensemble... very early years, same time frame, 2 days nothing but. And then the main event....Cecil Taylor.... Cycle thru Nefertiti, the Blue Note records, Student Studies, and then a few solo records (Freedom & FMP). Can toss in some of Jimmy Lyons' best. Then good to go, all clear.
user picture

Member for

8 years 1 month

Try some. Randy Weston........... Marrakech a great starting point.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Isn't that what the studio albums are for? :D I was listening to the delicate sadness of the studio version of China Doll this morning. Palate and soul adequately refreshed.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

T-Bone - two thumbs up!Howlin' Wolf - was that a $20.00? BB got the chills goin' as usual! It doesn't take long - a little over ten minutes - to become grateful again. Thanks. Now back to that 7/07/69 Lovelight!
user picture

Member for

9 years 3 months

Well they're certainly not on my radar anymore, I just thought I recalled hearing of another obligatory summer tour this year. I have those CDs mentioned earlier and used to listen a lot, but then I discovered the Dead and realized the true meaning of jam band. I also realized that the DMB songs I enjoyed most were those that were most stylistically akin to the Dead. I think in hindsight, DMB songs have a limited spectrum of appeal, so you get your initial fill, but there's not much treasure after that, no matter how much digging you do. The only purpose of buying a recent show is to get live versions of new songs, and perhaps find a best version of something old, but that ship has pretty much sailed. The best versions of all of their older songs are on those CDs that were mentioned below.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I too went through a big DMB phase. I have all of the studio cds and quite a few live shows, both "official" and boots. I still throw one on now & then to break things up. Last saw them just a couple of weeks before Leroi's accident. They have some really fine numbers in their catalog. I see folks here often mention Phish. I came to them a bit late but I do like them. String Cheese is also good. I also see Umphrey's McGee mentioned here. Great light show and good jammin'. One band I LOVE that no one here talks about much is moe. Really good guitar work. Check them out if you have not. Saw them a few years ago at a small, local, outdoor venue and they were great. Rock on
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Caught my first Dead show 27 years ago today, and let me tell you - it's just as hot outside today. Crimson White & Indigo, last event held at the esteemed JFK Stadium in Philadelphia. I was aware of the Dead, but only knew In The Dark at that point. Steel Wheels and The Who Reunion were the big shows that I was amped for that summer. The Grateful Dead happened unexpectedly.... I was sitting at the kitchen table futzing around with my brother's glock after seeing Lethal Weapon II (it just came out that day, and everyone between the ages of 17 and 21 wanted to be Martin Riggs in those days); when in walks a bearded stranger and a tall stranger. I thought, wow, who the fuck just walked into my house without knocking, and do I shoot them or flee out the back door? But when the bearded guy started talking, I recognized him as my cousin from Buffalo - you have to remember, we were only 17, and this guy had never had a beard before. So I didn't shoot him (or his friend). We'd been to a half a dozen concerts in the past couple of years, and we were more like brothers than cousins. He and his buddy had just seen the Dead at Rich Stadium on the 4th for the famed Truckin' Up To Buffalo show, and I guess the fever was upon them. The funny thing is they didn't have a ticket for me (but they were "sure we'd be able to find one on the way in". Ok, sure. So we got to JFK and the place seemed just crazy. I'd never seen so many women with hairy armpits in my life. What a bizarre and joyous atmosphere that whole scene was. When Jerry took the stage, the ovation was incredible. Never had I seen one person in a band receive that much attention as when he walked on stage. My cousin turned to me and said, "well, there he is." And I was like "who?" And he said "Jerry Garcia - he's like a God to these people". Interesting... I actually knew Hell In A Bucket, so that was a cool opener, and I thought, hmmm, this is looking promising, people are rocking out like I'm used to. Next came Iko Iko, and talk about a change in atmosphere. In one quick moment, this crowd went from rock 'n roll to something I can't even describe. The music just took hold, and the dancing seemed to reflect this uplifting song that I was hearing for the first time; and all of the sudden the clothing and accessories, the loose look of everyone, the care-free attitude - all made sense. These people were dressed for Iko Iko and all that was played in its vein. I remember beach balls too; and I remember everyone singing Fire On The Mountain; and I remember hearing Knockin' On Heaven's Door to close the show, and turning to my cousin and saying, "this is a great song - I only heard it for the first time earlier today." Indeed, the melancholy overtones had surrounded me just hours before, as the life blood drained from Martin Riggs aboard that doomed cargo ship. Indeed, he would die there with his enemies, contented, as he had levied judgement upon those who took his wife from him. A flash in the barrel he was, the loose cannon of L.A. justice, a man who was only ever good at one thing, and in fact had done a guy in Laos from 1000 yards - a rifle shot in high wind (only 10 guys in the world could have made that shot)...but wait!...he's making jokes now...yes, YES! He will live to fight another sequel or two, no longer crazy from the loss of his wife, because vengeance is sobering....yes, the aphrodisiac of Hollywood, sweet sweet retribution. Stoltzfus, I feel bad that you missed out on the KISS express - you need a good dose of Alive! maybe some Cold Gin, Parasite, Black Diamond, and 100,000 Years (sans drum solo). Ace is the place!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 8 months

Yes! And what post-show-drive-home palate cleanse could ever top Reflections?
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

thanks for the 3/27/88 youtube eyes. I have not listened to that show in a long time. Need to get that DL upgrade for sure. I had never seen that eyes, well except live. Man their are so many wonderful heads everywhere. I wonder who this one was. I wonder when they taped it if they new (I am sure they did not) that some day they would be able to sync video to SBD. Awesome.My understanding, that until computers evolved into true workhorses, maybe around 1999, that it was not possible to sync video to SBD. Of course, software had to be developed. The first example professionally done was View From The Vault. They recorded the board but also recorded the video that was projected on the screen. As they recorded the video projections there was no way to really edit the video, or take out special effects. Does not bother me. I saw only a few minutes of the band as I was tucked behind Dan in the taping section. The nice thing about the taping section was that there was always a way over abundance of stuff. Not that that was not true everywhere but in that spot, it was crazy crazy.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Good job grabbing that show when opportunity knocked, KeithFan and great judgement and restraint with the glock. I really like the first set from that show.. the Memphis Blues, Let it Grow and Blow Away have a nice juicy wiggle going on.
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

With tonight being this box sets big anniversary, I can't decide whether to partcipate in fun this evening and listen or just get a good night's sleep. What say you? https://scontent-atl3-1.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/e35/13561568_14299… picture of David Gilmore getting ready for tonights anniversary concert at Pompeii, 45 years, wow. Guess the show has been over a couple of hours now. Again tomorrow night, sure hope they vid record it.
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

Forensic- That T Bone Walker was the heat. Muchas gracias. Angry Jack - The Band, The Band, The Band. I can never get enough of The Last Waltz, the brown album, various bootlegs with only 2 or 3 members. I was kind of goofing with the Kingfish/Bobby tracks being a GD departure but there is not much else I have been listening to lately. The real list? The Outlaws, CSN, Dylan, Petty, Tedeschi Trucks, Allman Brothers Band, Peter Tosh, Groundation(anything Harrison Stafford), Tribal Seeds, Slightly Stoopid, Dead Milkmen, Taj Mahal..it goes on. Don Carlos + Slightly Stoopid + Karl Denson. Yup forget what you knew > https://youtu.be/rcT5x8P82Eo 2 members of Groundation bringing the heat. Check out Harrison Stafford everything > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAsmY2OOOdg I agree on the Beatles. They were fascinating until I discovered the George and John solo stuff.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

..and thank you for the link to the Pompeii pics.. great memories and I am still riding high from the other black shirted guitarist giving me a birthday show here in the East Coast a few months back. The guy is a major talent.
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

Well when I mentioned my palette cleanse i left off the Allmans and many others, point being our fellas are my fellas. In new acts I enjoy Blackberry Smoke, and the brothers from Dawes, and of course Derek and Susan. Always hoping for new incredible musicians to blossom into entertainment monsters. Stoltzfus (and a bunch of others of course) crack my a$$ up, thanks.
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

thanks for the slightly stupid, I follow them, but their is only so much economic output I can handle right now. That is a tasty jam. I bet partying with them would be an enormous trip!
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

cleaning the palette with wire brush, awesome. I was a huge BS fan in 1981(?) when RJD first joined them. Jim seeing Dave for birthday, bet that was a true treat. Moe: again got into them around 2000 or so and saw them several times. Once at Jazzfest in 2003 where Umphreys'Mcgee opened. Old vaudeville theater, was great. Thank you Dr. Grafenburg. Also saw them the night before in Birmingham with Medeski Martin and Wood opening. That was a great show also. SCI of course, their live dvd from about 10 years ago is awesome. First heard of them if I remember in 1994 when hiking through Colorado with my "freaky friend." In 2004, our local music fest had Moe Friday, Blues Traveller Saturday, and SCI on Sunday as headliners. That was a fun weekend.
user picture

Member for

15 years 1 month

This talk of taking a break from the Dead made me think of something a friend in Alaska told me about 10 years ago--She said she and her husband listen to BOTH kinds of music: the Grateful Dead and JGB. Always gives me a chuckle Anybody Else love Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes?
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

I have to wonder.. if Johann was still alive and well.. would he be into Black Sabbath too? You guys all crack me up on a regular basis.. what a cast of characters. All this other music stuff reminds me of what I cut my teeth on before I stumbled on the good ole GD. Some hits, some misses.. but there is a lot of crossover into what you guys bring to the table. And there's even more that I plan to explore when work doesn't get in the way. I am also in amazement, that from a bunch of fans that only listen to one band where every song sounds the same and concerts are essentially mindless, drugged out noodling for 3+ hours or until they turn off the power.. you have vast, deep musical interests that rival any non gd-fan I have ever met. Not only do many of you all listen to more GD than I can fit in on a given day (which says a lot), but you manage to hit the notes on the stuff that's on my hit parade for tomorrow. A special shout out to deadicated, forensicdoc and a few others that consistently bring the goods and highlight other areas that I am sure to explore more in my retirement. You guys cover some deep territory. Endless information and amusement here.. many sincere thanks to all.
user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

Does anyone else think this is the most unique non-guest appearance set for it's time period or year??? Was anyone there? I have heard the rumors, and can hear, of no Bob to start the second set... It is not the best show of the year, it just is different just curious.. thanks Bob T
product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/july-1978-the-complete-recordings.html