• 7/8/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
    Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
    Artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope
    Intro and show-by-show liner notes by Nicholas Meriwether
    Producer's Note by David Lemieux
    Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 15,000
    Release Date: May 13, 2016

Announcing July 1978: The Complete Recordings

We’re pleased to announce JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS, five incredible unreleased shows and the first official release from the long-lost tapes, recently returned to the Grateful Dead’s vault. Follow the Dead on a sonic journey through a superb selection of settings, an often epic adventure that finds them winning over Willie and Waylon fans in Kansas City, conjuring charisma in Omaha, and elevating the Red Rocks beyond their already spiritual planes. With five distinct performances painting the masterpiece of 1978, Betty Cantor-Jackson's always-pristine soundboard recordings, and the "hall-of-fame pedigree" of the Dead's first-ever shows at the legendary Red Rocks Amphitheatre, this is one release that far exceeds excellence in music, sound quality, and rarity.

Limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies, JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS includes Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, MO (7/1/78), St. Paul Civic Center, St. Paul, MN (7/3/78), Omaha Civic Auditorium, Omaha, NE (7/5/78), and Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison CO (7/7/78 and 7/8/78) - all of the performances in this collection are drawn from the band’s master soundboard recordings, each newly mastered by Jeffrey Norman. The set also features original artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope (D.C. and Marvel comics) and in-depth liner notes written by Nick Meriwether (Grateful Dead Archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz), as well as a producer’s note from producer David Lemieux.

Due May 13th, we anticipate that this extraordinary box will sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks right here.

Looking for something a little more byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • cheryleula

Thank You!

• Slow Dog Noodle

just noticed this says sold out. Its about time. I don't know what took so long. This is a fantastic box set.

• eyes43

The first two listening days players are mixed up, on the main page for the July 78 box set. Just thought admin might want to fix that! Peace!

• perithecat

marye , could you have a look at my order number if you can 137400000224478
    ordered on nov 27th and still nothing . any help would be appreciated .

• ecce homo
    Default Avatar
    July 1978: The Complete Recordings delivered today

Hi just an bit of info for people who were in a similar position to me: I ordered the Box Set (as part of a larger order) on 9-21-19, and it arrived today, so a little over 3 months later. I had written CS once (on November 26) and received a reply on December 3 from Warner Music Group Customer Service which read, in part:

Due to a complex warehouse move we now have a significant backlog of both customer inquiries and shipments, and as a result we haven’t been able to deliver at the level that we pride ourselves on.
    For those waiting on their orders, while we wish we could give you an exact estimate as to when your order will ship, we are still awaiting the exact order status details that we urgently want to get to you.
    We are putting 100% of our focus and dedication into a solution to this shipping delay, and are currently working with our warehouse partner to send out outstanding orders.
    We wish we had been able to have communicated this to you sooner, but we had relied on assurances from our warehouse partner that they would be able to quickly resolve the backlog of orders, and they haven’t been able to honor this commitment. We must again apologize for this delay in reaching out to you.
    While it is not our place to be making requests of you, we do hope that you will continue to be patient with us, as we work through these issues and work with our current partner to ship out your order as soon as possible.
    We are genuinely sorry for the delay and inconvenience associated with your order, and we thank you for your patience and understanding to date.

HANG IN THERE FELLOW DEADHEADS!!!!!! AS ALWAYS IT WILL BE WORTH THE WAIT.
    However, I don't see the Box Set currently listed for sale on the Dead's site right now either? My S/N was 091xx of 15000.
    Peace and Happy Hanukkah!

• carlo13

Merry x-mas to you too. Now the july 78 box completely disappeared from the site which makes me nervous. There were still a bunch left too.

• RobbZ

I feel for you, man. I made the mistake of ordering a simple CD (Terrapin Limited--3/15/90) for a Christmas gift some three weeks ago. Alas, it still sits in a "processing" status. Email requests have been answered with the same "robo-response" bullshit. And what makes it even more frustrating is dead.net had absolutely zero problems charging my credit card the day I ordered it...that portion of their logistical process seems to run flawlessly! And by comparison, I ordered other Christmas gifts from the Foo Fighters, Rush, and Pearl Jam websites the same day as my Dead order, and holy shit, like magic, all their merchandise arrived, as ordered, in less than a week.
    This "we're moving our warehouse" excuse has grown pathetic and old...any logistical issues dead.net is having should be transparent to the customer! But allow me to end my complaints with a few suggestions, as I'm the kind of person who won't complain without bringing some solutions to the table....: (1) SHUT DOWN ALL SALES UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO COMPLETE AN ORDER! (2) DO NOT CHARGE THE CUSTOMER UNTIL AFTER A PRODUCT SHIPS!

Merry Christmas All---and Carlo, if you're really Jonesin for those 78 shows, PM me (if it works) I'm sure I have a copy's I could share

• fourwindsblow

It may take a little time be patient.

"Due to a high-volume of email traffic, there will be a delay in response time".

• Kengoesto11

Wish I knew. I was hoping to confirm that the order will be recognized instead of forgotten. So I tried Dr. Rhino and got the same robo-response/apology as regular customer service email. These responses include a reminder that multiple inquiries may further delay an order...so handcuffed, LOL! But I can still play the shamisen and there are far worse things. It's all good.

• carlo13

I also ordered this box 7 weeks ago and still nada. I am waiting patiently because it will eventually ship. I will say it will ship on Dec. 22. What date do you think.

user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

July 1978: The Complete Recordings

What's Inside:

• Five Complete Shows on 12 discs
• 7/1/78 Arrowhead Stadium: Kansas City, MO
• 7/3/78 St. Paul Civic Center Arena: St. Paul, MN
• 7/5/78 Omaha Civic Auditorium: Omaha, NE
• 7/7/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
• 7/8/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
Artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope
Intro and show-by-show liner notes by Nicholas Meriwether
Producer's Note by David Lemieux
Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 15,000
Release Date: May 13, 2016

Announcing July 1978: The Complete Recordings

We’re pleased to announce JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS, five incredible unreleased shows and the first official release from the long-lost tapes, recently returned to the Grateful Dead’s vault. Follow the Dead on a sonic journey through a superb selection of settings, an often epic adventure that finds them winning over Willie and Waylon fans in Kansas City, conjuring charisma in Omaha, and elevating the Red Rocks beyond their already spiritual planes. With five distinct performances painting the masterpiece of 1978, Betty Cantor-Jackson's always-pristine soundboard recordings, and the "hall-of-fame pedigree" of the Dead's first-ever shows at the legendary Red Rocks Amphitheatre, this is one release that far exceeds excellence in music, sound quality, and rarity.

Limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies, JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS includes Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, MO (7/1/78), St. Paul Civic Center, St. Paul, MN (7/3/78), Omaha Civic Auditorium, Omaha, NE (7/5/78), and Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison CO (7/7/78 and 7/8/78) - all of the performances in this collection are drawn from the band’s master soundboard recordings, each newly mastered by Jeffrey Norman. The set also features original artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope (D.C. and Marvel comics) and in-depth liner notes written by Nick Meriwether (Grateful Dead Archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz), as well as a producer’s note from producer David Lemieux.

Due May 13th, we anticipate that this extraordinary box will sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks right here.

Looking for something a little more byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....brought to you by The Music Never Stopped, penned by Weir & Barlow. May it never stop.....playing the Boyz all day long. Took a break for the past few days. The dam had to burst eventually.....
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 6 months

To expand your list of Pete Seeger adjectives, I would offer:heroic & courageous. This is especially well-documented in an album called "The Almanac Singers." Check it out for inspiring (as entertaining) solidarity songs. Warning: it's a highly addictive album.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 6 months

I had read somewhere the 3 bonus tracks were sound checks. Your explanation sounds much more reasonable. As for more Springer's Inn, all I can say is bring it on! While Amazon's track listing has it as either closing out the 1st set or opening the 2nd set, both Deadlists and Deadbase 50 has 'Baby Blue' listed as the encore. I say we and everyone else puts it where we like! I also remember when the series was still ongoing they had 2 shows from Philly (if memory serves me) which are no longer available. I attended both and remember they were really good. Maybe a future DaP or dare I say it a '79 box set? Thanks for taking the time to read through the list.
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

OK, so it's from Civil War instead of Revolutionary, but still it captures the American spirit quite nicely I think...
user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

Then again that's always a possibility. Happy 4th of July everybody, hope you get to spend it with family and friends.
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

I hope to see more from this era, "crossover shows" with Brent's touch and the other ones on a high November / December stocked with many options Who wants a killer "Shakedown Street" "He's Gone" or "Scarlet Begonias -> Fire on the Mountain" ? I do , LOL Also with Springer's Inn - 1.16.70 - a very notable "Easy Wind" PIGPEN !!!!! Dave's Picks Announcement should be coming up, most likely after Dead n Company finish up at Fenway , and before they play on West coast I would like to see a show from 1979 or 1984,, my luck has been fairly good with Dave's picks recently, I wanted a 1973 "Eyes of the World" for number 16 and got one, and also was hoping for a 1976 show,, and got 2 LOL, Bring on the Juicy Wiggle ~ 4.29.84, 6.27.84 Merriweather or something from an Uptown run
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 6 months

OK I'll bite: what did you listen to during your brief Dead sabbatical?
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

I'll play - Dave Matthews Band, I really like the electric violin player, Boyd Tinsley. I also am under the impression when the Grateful Dead stopped touring , a good portion of there soundsystem was sold to his band and they started using in 1996, one song in particular I really like is "Seek Up" A performance of this song that is worth checking out is from San Diego - 8.4.95 - it does not hold the title as "best of" however it opens the show and is very nice. When I saw them perform at Riverbend in May 2016 , the "Seek Up" I heard was incredible. A little different arrangement as the years have passed and members changed, the electric violin portion / sort of a solo - this guy blew the roof off the place , it was magical time. I have a vid of this portion , but I am not too tech savy to post really anywhere. At one point during climax , the video gets a little distored and the image along the roof where it says "Ralph Corbett Pavilion" stretching across becomes a little fuzzy, but nothing else in vid was fuzzy, I am not sure what the heck that was. Only conclusion so far, maybe it was the roof shaking
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....the new Iron Maiden album, Adam Ant, Dylan's Vol 12, U2's Joshua Tree, Black Crowes Amorica, and some Mama's and the Papas. That about covers it....
user picture

Member for

13 years 10 months

Does anyone else subscribe to the theory that they don't release the info for the next Dave's Picks until the prior release's forum chatter slows to a crawl? ;-)
user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

re: DL series. The 4/30/77 show w/ bonus material smokes, and the 1/18/70 show has a nice Tighten Up jam in there somewhere. '72 and '73 have some great moments but the jam segments seem shorter on these than other releases. DL has good shows with great moments. Dead and Co. has been phenomenal - exceeding all expectations. I watched the complete shows at Citified in New York, then again the Boulder shows this past weekend.... Just, Wow! John Mayer has kicked it up yet another notch, and Oteil on bass is a monster. This is no nostalgia act, folks. They are actually rivaling "Furthur" for post-Jerry virtuosity. Check out Archive.org. Also, the sbd's for sale by "nugs.net" sound amazing.
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

I went through a DMB phase when he first became a household name in the mid - late '90s. If you're interested, I would recommend the following live releases, as they capture the band at their rock-solid best, with Tim Reynolds (electric guitar) and their original horn player, LeRoi Moore: * Live at Red Rocks 8.15.95 * Live in Chicago 12.19.98 at the United Center If you liked these two and want more, there are some additional "new" songs on these two releases (they also include the horn player, but not Tim Reynolds - instead they have a keyboard player, Butch Taylor, and some great backup vocalists, The Lovely Ladies: * Listener Supported * Live at Folsom Field These four releases capture the DMB at their pinnacle. While there are some repeat songs, the originals that you're getting cover all of the really kick-ass songs. Top 20 songs from these releases (in no particular order, but definitely go with the Tim Reynolds versions on any of these, if you have a choice): 1) Seek Up 2) Proudest Monkey 3) Dancing Nancies 4) Warehouse 5) Ants Marching 6) The Last Stop 7) Don't Drink The Water 8) Granny 9) Bartender 10) Two Step 11) The Stone 12) Jimi Thing 13) What You Are 14) Pantala Intro => Pantala Naga Pampa => Rapunzel 15) Recently 16) All Along The Watchtower 17) JTR 18) Long Black Veil 19) Lie In Our Graves 20) Too Much
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 10 months

pretty nice package and sound is awesome, although normally prefer the early vintages.so may look also into the first Spring 1990 box, although reviews indicate sound is sort of crappy using just two-track DAT although fuller spectrum was available. Going to hold off on pursuing it for now as Spring TOO and 79 box will keep me busy enough, but what is your verdict wrt the first Spring 1990 box set? thanks
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Re: Syracuse.. Yes, absolutely. I suspect a multi-variable model is used and have been tracking possible data that drives this. The following factors might be used to determine release announcements: - Chatter at Dead.Net slows to a crawl. - Days without a post from wyomissingdeadead, claney and chrisgrand. - Number of references to other bands and types of music people are listening too. There is a hierarchy to this, so they are weighted as follows. Jazz = 25% probability, other jam bands (including Phish and Dave Mathews) 50% probability. Heavy Metal including Ozzy, Sabbath, Metalica, Iron Maiden and the like, 75% probability. Pop and 80's hair bands including ones that have burned down a night club either through excessive use of pyrotechnics or explosions caused by the accidental combustion of hair or hair care products, 90% probability. - Peeing stories. - Migration of man eating sea lions and seals in the SF Bay area. - Finally, extremely windy, overcast days necessary for filming seaside chats. Tornado's and cyclones are good for box set announcements. I believe all of these factors are used to determine release announcements. Good catch, Syracuse. -
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

I would say not a factor, but they do have deadlines. I am sure pick was selected in late May and then it takes about 40 days for others to play a part in completion process. I would suspect the folks at Rhino n Co are very busy at work this week to get things right so there is no snafu and they can make announcement right after Fenway shows before Portland its like waiting for some good cooking, when I hear the call from kitchen or when I here the announcement thats the dinner bell for me and my mouth fills with water "He was lookin' for the place called Lee Ho Fooks Gonna get a big dish of beef chow mein...
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Anyone else still dipping into this great box? Last night, the Scarlet>Fire from 7/3 and Estimated>Eyes>Drums>Space from 7/5 were fantastic to play loud on the interstate. The energy is so intense on this set I'm simply glad not only that they had the sense to tape it, not to mention it is lucky for us that the were able to work something out with whoever has them to get them to see the light of day this some almost 40 years later. Thanks Dead.net and everyone involved in this project!
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

haha the ones you listed I have Live at Red Rocks 8.15.95 Live in Chicago 12.19.98 at the United Center And acoustic release Dave and Tim Luther College funny it is because I dont have many of there recordings and usually recommend the Red Rocks 95. I first saw them in late 90's as well, I was not really interested in them until i saw a live show, it was a treat. Listener Supported album you mention, I think that should be my next target I agree the formation with Leroi are my favorites, I saw one of his last performances that summer in 2008 before the untimely passing I will also check them out again on Friday in between Dead n Co ,, and really hope they play a few of these "Typical Situation" "Two-Step" "Dancing Nancies" "#41" "Seek Up"
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

The first Spring '90 box is great. Sure. We all wish they had sprung for the extra time & money and not released it in 2-track sound, but it is still very good. Not crappy at all as you mentioned. Different sound then Spring TOO for sure, but just as enjoyable IMHO. I make no differentiation in these boxes. Both are great. I often run through both by date and find no clunkers in the tour. Rock on
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Yes.. its still heavy in the rotation. I have found myself going back and relistening to other, similar material and wondering if some of the material in this box replaces some of my more liked song sequences (Dicks Picks 18, Englishtown and the like). In a strange way, we almost benefited from these tapes being lost. It was like Christmas in July, a very strong box set.
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

"Scarlet -> Fire" one of the box highlights 7.3.78 - "Looks Like Rain" ***** Bobby and Donna Jean , what a connection in this one
user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

About 17 years ago I went through a big Phish and DMB phase. Bought all the live stuff I could find because I felt I was being too myopic only following just the Dead. Saw both of those bands a few times and really dug them. Fast forward to today, I never listen to Phish or DMB anymore. Massive respect for them and I recognize those bands have their distinct eras, but I feel like I've done it and listening to them feels like a throwback instead of a walk forward. The Dead, on the other hand, feels like a look into a looking glass - ya never know what you're gonna get but it's gonna be interesting. Between the distinct GD eras, the ongoing releases, and the fact that Dead and Co. continue to push the rock up the hill, the Dead still feel alive to me. But I spent my high-school and college years as a GD fan, then got into the other bands after I graduated college in '89. Given my youth experiences all centered squarely around the Dead, it makes sense that I identify closely with them and had trouble spooling up on Phish/DMB. I feel old. I AM old.
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

Grey Street doesn't make the top 20?
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

I am slowly moving into the 21st century, maybe one day I will get a smart phone. The weekend of June 24th I finally took a step forward. I finally hooked up my blu ray player to the home network. Then learned how to pair my blu ray to a laptop so that I can use the laptop to search youtube. Nice. Allows me to watch youtube on tv with full blown BBS. Awesome sound indeed. The first thing I watched was the 1972 Beat Club. First time i have seen it since it was shown at MUATM. Very nice indeed. Looks very good, even when streaming off of youtube and the sound was excellent. Then, the same night, watched the 1989 summer solstice PPV. Really nice to see how technology can work when you take a little time to understand it. Of course, part of me still prefers sitting outside watching the stars and a camp fire with the music playing through a boom box.

Member for

16 years 11 months

Mr. Strang listed: #6 - 3/17/68 - San Francisco, CA: complete show. Correction ~ incomplete, first set included Dark Star > Born Cross-Eyed before Lovelight. Tapes were messed with during the making of Anthem, and presumably rendered unreleasable. Still a jewel (what isn't from Winter '68?), and a warmer sound compared to Dick's 22 (Tahoe Bowl). Must-have for the Caution alone. Shout-out to Volume 5, 3/27/88. Okay, I attended this one, 2nd row standing between Bob & Jerry, but I daresay this Scarlet > Fire should be a treat to anyone who loves Scarlet > Fire. I might prefer the 4/1 To Lay Me Down performance (if I strive to be impartial), but this one was the breakout after five years, so it was special and followed by a nice Let It Grow. Beautiful High Time filler on the '76 DL. Actually, all the disc 3 filler is excellent, and the main course includes a Mission In the Rain. Springer's Inn highlights, for me, are Black Peter and the jam numbers: Dancin & Good Lovin (sporting a perfectly digestable 10-minute length). Jerry cuts off a just-gettin'-cookin' Mason's jam way too early.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

7/03 was great! Loved the way they started the Music Never Stopped from Deal. Sure wish somebody had taken that dipstick outta Bob's hands during FOTM. Before this I got off on 7/03/66 - the big 5-0!!! - gifted to me by a much missed poster. Also, got in Miles at Newport '67. Yesterday was Monk ('65), Miles ('66) and Jimi's "Freedom" from the Atlanta Pop Festival. Today was/is Miles Newport ('69), Garcia/Saunders, Vol.6 (Lion's Share) and, of course, GOGD 7/05/78, Omaha Civic Auditorium - "Sugaree" plays now. What do you think, Oroboros? Does it hit the spot?
user picture

Member for

12 years 6 months

Not to nit-pick but i think Vol 13 is from 2/4/70... I like the series..its good stuff..although on the 89 release Jerry sounds not good on some of the vocals... i like Vol 4 (76) better than Daves 18.....just sayin.. Take care folks!!!!
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Add that to the list of shows we both attended.. I hope you weren't the guy I was tailgating behind on '95, if so, I apologize.. or did I take 301?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 6 months

You could very well be right. As I said I used Deadlists and Deadbasdd 50 as references and both stated 'Lovelight' as the 1st set. However Deadlists notes at the bottom that Deadbase XI has both 'Dark Star' and 'Cross-eyed' as also being played in the 1st set. It does seem odd that 'Lovelight' would comprise an entire set even though Pigpen could play some VERY extended versions. Thanks for taking the time to check out the list.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 6 months

Great mix of bands and styles. I've been thinking of taking a break myself. It seems like you come back with new/fresh ears.
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

Amazing hlaupa Iceland! Skal! :)
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

His favorite bands are Rush and Kiss. I'm thinking Blues For Allah would be a good entry point based on his tastes. But I'm not really a Rush or Kiss person, so not sure what would appeal to him. What you guys think?
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

You cant go wrong with Blues for Allah, at least through Sage and Spirit. I think your instincts are correct.. Then carefully point out the connection between Kiss (one of his bands) and the roots music that is at the very core of the GD by pointing out what a great banjo player Paul Stanley was and what an influence he had on a young Garcia. I'm sure that will connect the dots in profound ways none of us can predict. Its something I did not fully appreciate myself until it came up on this very thread a couple weeks ago :D. P.S. I really enjoy the song Blues for Allah as well, but lets be honest, its not for everyone. When I was young, my parents had a dislike for that one and the way my room smelled after I finished a good listen. Last week I had the great fortune of watching Warren Haynes and the WV Symphony Orchestra perform it in its entirety. That plus the full Terrapin Station with 40+ trained professionals working through the details was really something... The surprising thing to me was how much these guys were into it and how well they seemed to know the music. I guess we are in fact everywhere...
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

I'll be sure to relate the Paul Stanley connection, that should help immensely, thanks! I was thinking...maybe I'm coming at this the wrong way. I was thinking I had to get him an album, and which was the one I should get, etc. But no one album really encompassed what I wanted him to hear. So now I'm thinking I should just burn a compilation CD for him, some studio, some live, avoid the extended jammed out stuff for now, just something that flows nice together and hits on a bunch of stuff he might dig. Yeah, I think that's what I'll do.
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

I'd place a bet on Terrapin. Epic stories,lightning guitar in some places. Sweet suietes(?).:)
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Terrapin was influential in my early days as was E72. For tapes, I had decent boards of Maples 73 and a couple crisp 74's w/ a flowing Eyes>China Doll. I remember getting a smoking '81 tape with a Let It Grow that could peel paint off the walls if you let it. And a '71 Felt Forum, but the sound wasn't great on that one. Thank God for the Archive...
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

was already planning on a Terrapin, as my "new" friend I think would be very inclined to grasp the mystical feeling and the whole story, etc. Yes sir, a Terrapin is a must. Which Terrapin though? Hmmm I am a bit constrained as it can't really segue into anything too involved for now, e.g. a 5-song sequence, etc. Also, I am seeking the perfect Cassidy, as my friend actually has a real life wolf as a pet which my wife and I have become quite friendly with, and I want to honor that ;)
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

an awesome stand-alone Eyes, Weather Report Suite, and Bird Song as well. This guy is like St Francis, I ain't joking, animals seem to come to him without fear, he's a pure soul. He had a red squirrel crawling on his shoulder and eating from his hand. Can't make this sh!t up...
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Might not hurt to toss in a few cuts from Reckoning just for balance.
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

was just thinking that before you posted. There's my Cassidy, plus a few others. Great (or Grate) minds think alike ;) Thanks, man. Your input is greatly appreciated.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Since I'll be offline for a few days, I'll leave you with this Charlie Miller SBD from 2013. https://archive.org/details/gd1969-07-07.123468.sbd.miller.flac16 07/07/69 Piedmont Park - Atlanta, GA Set 1: Morning Dew Mama Tried High Time Casey Jones Dark Star St. Stephen The Eleven Turn On Your Love Light This was a free concert in a city park -- The Allman Brothers also performed -- Gregg and Duane Allman joined in on Lovelight

Member for

16 years 11 months

Jim,So YOU were that @$$hole heading down 95??? Was there a Shakedown Street sign (or Thin Man Spits) sticker on the bumper? Two years earlier, you may've spotted us passing joints between cars on 95 ~ only one of our three-piece convoy was doing the rolling. (Yes, I digressed to drug stories, but I-95 was directly involved.) Dave, I confirmed my memory here: http://deadessays.blogspot.com/2014/09/missing-1968-shows.html As I recall, it was mentioned in the announcement when that download volume first came out. Not that a '68 first set consisting of Lovelight wouldn't be believable.... Dantian, 5/22/77 (Dick's 2) might be a Terrapin candidate, as it couples with a Dew, and only a Dew (a song that might also reel a casual listener in). 4/6/82 (RT 4.4) could work, too, followed only by drums. I was going to suggest subbing the Kezar 3/23/75 Blues For Allah for the studio version, except that King Solomon's Marbles is inextricably intertwined. Love that version so much. You don't get the crickets, nor the puzzling charm of the rhyme "Blues For Allah/ Insha'Allah." But it's such a deep dive musically. Pure Grateful Dead music. And probably not the place for most to start ; )
user picture

Member for

13 years

The Grateful Dead and KISS don't intersect. They just don't. That said, I somehow managed to like both of them when in my late teens, although I was a little embarrassed when a Deadhead friend found KISS Alive in my stack of LPs. My attraction to KISS was based on heavy, catchy riffs. So maybe the Bertha from Skull & Roses (and also that Johnny B. Goode) would form a partial bridge. Throw in a hot Passenger. Definitely a E72 Sugar Magnolia. You've got the Rush/prog-rock angle covered with Terrapin. And of course your leg was being pulled regarding Paul Stanley's banjo skills. It was dear departed Ralph.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Can we really be sure who the banjo aficionado was underneath all that makeup? I do agree with the common thread song suggestions between the two bands. ..and Antonjo, the only reason I was tailgating was in hopes of intersecting the party favors being passed from one vehicle to the other that fateful day some 30 odd years ago. Sure smelled good. Apparently we were at a bunch of the same shows. I'm sure we passed each other on the freeway or in the hallways at some point or another and I'm quite sure we both had smiles on our faces. One quick shoutout to all the work they have done for us at deadessays.blogspot.com. Its simply the best researched historical reference ever put together an all things GD. If you haven't ever checked it out, its really something. A great body of work painstakingly put together by someone that really seems to care about all things GD.
user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

I can offer a wonderful stand alone Eyes of the World which came up a few times last month - how about the show starter from Giants Stadium 6/17/91? Only time it opened a show in the post hiatus period as far as I'm aware; Bruce adds some mighty fine touches as well. And this whole show smokes. https://archive.org/details/gd1991-06-17.484.sbd.shnf As for the Bird Song, of course there's Veneta '72 one of the all time greats. I'm not as up on Weather Reports as other tunes and I suppose it depends on whether you want the prelude intro from the old days or more of a driving monster from later years. I personally always liked the version on Without a Net. In other happenings; today is my Friday as I'm headed off to Nantucket for the long weekend at the crack of dawn tomorrow with the brood. Looking forward to some R&R with the family, although I have a feeling that vacationing these days with a 3-month old and a two year old will have its challenges. Sand in every crack and crevice, sunscreen to hold it all together, but determined to be accompanied by adult beverages and some kind green. All in all life is pretty good over here. Hope it is for You All as well. Sixtus
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

Dave is keeping his cards pretty close to the vest. Shall we get the DaP 19 announcement today?
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Anyone else hear Phil yell at about 1'36" of Ship of Fools from 7/5? It sounds like there's the yell, some other stage communications and then a blast of some sort. It sounds to me to cause Jerry to smile through the lyrics a bit. Oroboros?
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

I can wait for the Dave's Picks 19 announcement. GarciaLive Volume 6 finally dropped through my letter box today so that will keep me busy this coming weekend. Additionally I still haven't got to listen to 7/8/'78 yet, but that will also get the attention it deserves this weekend. Looks like its gonna be a fine, fine weekend.
product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/july-1978-the-complete-recordings.html