• 7/8/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
    Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
    Artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope
    Intro and show-by-show liner notes by Nicholas Meriwether
    Producer's Note by David Lemieux
    Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 15,000
    Release Date: May 13, 2016

Announcing July 1978: The Complete Recordings

We’re pleased to announce JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS, five incredible unreleased shows and the first official release from the long-lost tapes, recently returned to the Grateful Dead’s vault. Follow the Dead on a sonic journey through a superb selection of settings, an often epic adventure that finds them winning over Willie and Waylon fans in Kansas City, conjuring charisma in Omaha, and elevating the Red Rocks beyond their already spiritual planes. With five distinct performances painting the masterpiece of 1978, Betty Cantor-Jackson's always-pristine soundboard recordings, and the "hall-of-fame pedigree" of the Dead's first-ever shows at the legendary Red Rocks Amphitheatre, this is one release that far exceeds excellence in music, sound quality, and rarity.

Limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies, JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS includes Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, MO (7/1/78), St. Paul Civic Center, St. Paul, MN (7/3/78), Omaha Civic Auditorium, Omaha, NE (7/5/78), and Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison CO (7/7/78 and 7/8/78) - all of the performances in this collection are drawn from the band’s master soundboard recordings, each newly mastered by Jeffrey Norman. The set also features original artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope (D.C. and Marvel comics) and in-depth liner notes written by Nick Meriwether (Grateful Dead Archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz), as well as a producer’s note from producer David Lemieux.

Due May 13th, we anticipate that this extraordinary box will sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks right here.

Looking for something a little more byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • cheryleula

Thank You!

• Slow Dog Noodle

just noticed this says sold out. Its about time. I don't know what took so long. This is a fantastic box set.

• eyes43

The first two listening days players are mixed up, on the main page for the July 78 box set. Just thought admin might want to fix that! Peace!

• perithecat

marye , could you have a look at my order number if you can 137400000224478
    ordered on nov 27th and still nothing . any help would be appreciated .

• ecce homo
    Default Avatar
    July 1978: The Complete Recordings delivered today

Hi just an bit of info for people who were in a similar position to me: I ordered the Box Set (as part of a larger order) on 9-21-19, and it arrived today, so a little over 3 months later. I had written CS once (on November 26) and received a reply on December 3 from Warner Music Group Customer Service which read, in part:

Due to a complex warehouse move we now have a significant backlog of both customer inquiries and shipments, and as a result we haven’t been able to deliver at the level that we pride ourselves on.
    For those waiting on their orders, while we wish we could give you an exact estimate as to when your order will ship, we are still awaiting the exact order status details that we urgently want to get to you.
    We are putting 100% of our focus and dedication into a solution to this shipping delay, and are currently working with our warehouse partner to send out outstanding orders.
    We wish we had been able to have communicated this to you sooner, but we had relied on assurances from our warehouse partner that they would be able to quickly resolve the backlog of orders, and they haven’t been able to honor this commitment. We must again apologize for this delay in reaching out to you.
    While it is not our place to be making requests of you, we do hope that you will continue to be patient with us, as we work through these issues and work with our current partner to ship out your order as soon as possible.
    We are genuinely sorry for the delay and inconvenience associated with your order, and we thank you for your patience and understanding to date.

HANG IN THERE FELLOW DEADHEADS!!!!!! AS ALWAYS IT WILL BE WORTH THE WAIT.
    However, I don't see the Box Set currently listed for sale on the Dead's site right now either? My S/N was 091xx of 15000.
    Peace and Happy Hanukkah!

• carlo13

Merry x-mas to you too. Now the july 78 box completely disappeared from the site which makes me nervous. There were still a bunch left too.

• RobbZ

I feel for you, man. I made the mistake of ordering a simple CD (Terrapin Limited--3/15/90) for a Christmas gift some three weeks ago. Alas, it still sits in a "processing" status. Email requests have been answered with the same "robo-response" bullshit. And what makes it even more frustrating is dead.net had absolutely zero problems charging my credit card the day I ordered it...that portion of their logistical process seems to run flawlessly! And by comparison, I ordered other Christmas gifts from the Foo Fighters, Rush, and Pearl Jam websites the same day as my Dead order, and holy shit, like magic, all their merchandise arrived, as ordered, in less than a week.
    This "we're moving our warehouse" excuse has grown pathetic and old...any logistical issues dead.net is having should be transparent to the customer! But allow me to end my complaints with a few suggestions, as I'm the kind of person who won't complain without bringing some solutions to the table....: (1) SHUT DOWN ALL SALES UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO COMPLETE AN ORDER! (2) DO NOT CHARGE THE CUSTOMER UNTIL AFTER A PRODUCT SHIPS!

Merry Christmas All---and Carlo, if you're really Jonesin for those 78 shows, PM me (if it works) I'm sure I have a copy's I could share

• fourwindsblow

It may take a little time be patient.

"Due to a high-volume of email traffic, there will be a delay in response time".

• Kengoesto11

Wish I knew. I was hoping to confirm that the order will be recognized instead of forgotten. So I tried Dr. Rhino and got the same robo-response/apology as regular customer service email. These responses include a reminder that multiple inquiries may further delay an order...so handcuffed, LOL! But I can still play the shamisen and there are far worse things. It's all good.

• carlo13

I also ordered this box 7 weeks ago and still nada. I am waiting patiently because it will eventually ship. I will say it will ship on Dec. 22. What date do you think.

user picture

Member for

17 years 3 months

July 1978: The Complete Recordings

What's Inside:

• Five Complete Shows on 12 discs
• 7/1/78 Arrowhead Stadium: Kansas City, MO
• 7/3/78 St. Paul Civic Center Arena: St. Paul, MN
• 7/5/78 Omaha Civic Auditorium: Omaha, NE
• 7/7/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
• 7/8/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
Artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope
Intro and show-by-show liner notes by Nicholas Meriwether
Producer's Note by David Lemieux
Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 15,000
Release Date: May 13, 2016

Announcing July 1978: The Complete Recordings

We’re pleased to announce JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS, five incredible unreleased shows and the first official release from the long-lost tapes, recently returned to the Grateful Dead’s vault. Follow the Dead on a sonic journey through a superb selection of settings, an often epic adventure that finds them winning over Willie and Waylon fans in Kansas City, conjuring charisma in Omaha, and elevating the Red Rocks beyond their already spiritual planes. With five distinct performances painting the masterpiece of 1978, Betty Cantor-Jackson's always-pristine soundboard recordings, and the "hall-of-fame pedigree" of the Dead's first-ever shows at the legendary Red Rocks Amphitheatre, this is one release that far exceeds excellence in music, sound quality, and rarity.

Limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies, JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS includes Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, MO (7/1/78), St. Paul Civic Center, St. Paul, MN (7/3/78), Omaha Civic Auditorium, Omaha, NE (7/5/78), and Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison CO (7/7/78 and 7/8/78) - all of the performances in this collection are drawn from the band’s master soundboard recordings, each newly mastered by Jeffrey Norman. The set also features original artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope (D.C. and Marvel comics) and in-depth liner notes written by Nick Meriwether (Grateful Dead Archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz), as well as a producer’s note from producer David Lemieux.

Due May 13th, we anticipate that this extraordinary box will sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks right here.

Looking for something a little more byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 7 months

looking for the riddle! seriously...hours. Would love a chance to answer and win but just seems impossible to find it on a site this big!! oh well!! good luck to everyone who had the luck to even find the clue :)
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

I was indeed at the Camden show on Monday (and in Philly last November for their 1st tour). I wasn't really keen on re-listening to the 2015 show but this year I walked to my car remembering multiple moments - the entire Wheel > Eyes of the World jam was insane, Morning Dew was fantastic, All Along the Watchtower.., etc. We also got a really good setlist compared to some recent shows. I don't think it sold out as pit tickets were still for sale the day of but it was a very large crowd. Tons of old heads and a good showing of young ones. I am betting on one of the upcoming NYC shows to be a real beast (although I'll be watching from home). Who knows - they might blow the roof off of Virginia tonight...
user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

i really have no other place to say this, so you are the lucky ones. I am still giggling at the randomness of this: "Aerosmith blows mule." from the rolling stone comments section about the LZ S2H trial. that quote just makes me giggle. I am 52 going on 12.
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

Blowing the dust off of the WL73 box. Some real gems in there. The Brokedown Palace is out of this world. China Cat > Rider is the usual November 73 heat. The 35 minute Dark Star into Eyes? Fuggetaboutit.
user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

Ralph Stanley89 :(
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

The dinosaur raises its head and with tacit approval slides off on a surf board over the edge as chickens riding tricycles come up the opposite stairs. Visual courtesy of 7/5 Estimated>Eyes>Drumz This is such a wonderful release! Peace to all!
user picture

Member for

15 years 11 months

My, oh,my,oh, my...The rain stayed away, the crowd was great and the show was excellent. The second set, especially from Viola Lee Blues on, was incredible. If you have not seen Dead and Co and you love the music of the Grateful Dead go see them. You are only cheating yourself if you don't...take care!
user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

I just found out they played a secret/surprise show earlier this month on the 2nd at the Caribou Room in Nederland,Colorado under the name Whibble for someone's birthday.If you go to their website they're giving away free downloads. Get some. :) Happy Birthday Chris!
user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

thanks for the heads up, got the show. they also are giving away a free album. I believe its 3 new songs.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 7 months

Ralph Stanley was (is) great. Thank you for sharing the news of his demise. His was a real-deal authentic sound. I have the double CD of Stanley Brothers complete recordings on the Mercury label...and it (unlike we) never gets old.
user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

Got it in mail yesterday. Was recorded the week before "Saunders/Garcia: Live at Keystone". Need I say more? Ok, how about if I say "recorded by Betty"? It's hard to imagine Jerry playing in a little 200 capacity club in 1973, but here it is. It has all the same material as the Fire Up album as well as The Keystone CD's. Not a single Garcia composition in the bunch. Sounds just like Keystone, but all the versions are new and unpredictable - you don't have every solo and nuance memorized. And if you don't have "Live at Keystone" and "Fire Up", I would GET THOSE IMMEDIATELY. You shouldn't be walking around not having heard this stuff.
user picture

Member for

9 years 2 months

What did he die of? I never would have guessed there were this many KISS fans on a Dead site.
user picture

Member for

14 years 9 months

It's Ralph Stanley, not Paul...unless you're being facetious.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Cousins.. aren't we all big fans of the terrific banjo solo's and heavenly harmonies on Kiss Destroyer? :D RIP Ralph.. you left this world much more than you took from it and the world is a better place as a result.
user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

This a good show it's not July 78 or like other shows that fall, but just maybe Jerry didn't want to play it that way. The Dead was a different band every night this is a first of three at the same venue maybe Jer didn't want to rip the roof off the first night.
user picture

Member for

8 years 2 months

Wow! I am going down south about 2 hours for a show and this is all Im taking with me for road tunes. Amazing!My first exposure to Jerry and Merl, and its a real treat for me. I have Garcia Live vol 4 and this is way beyond that win my first listen. Good weekend to all
user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

indeed rest in peace. what a monster he was. truly the god of thunder...
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

Some years ago my friend Al and I went to see Ralph Stanley in concert at the wonderful La Paloma Theater in Encinitas CA. The music was wonderful. Between each song Ralph would remind us there was a lot of Ralph Stanley merchandise for sale in the lobby and he would sign any purchased items after the show. After the show Al grabbed a flier for the show and approached Ralph for an autograph. Ralph took one look at the flier and yelled "For free?" Al just stood there holding the flier and they stared at each other for what seemed like an eternity. Finally Ralph grabbed the flier, signed it, and stormed off. I told Al that was pretty ballsy to stare Ralph down for an autograph. Al replied "Not at all. I was so shocked by his initial reaction I was frozen in place."
user picture

Member for

11 years 10 months

Ralph Stanley had such an extensive ridiculous career. He was one of the greats of the claw pickin banjo style. Some of my favorite stuff is the clinch mountain sound I believe that came about in the 70's. He was always on the road playing. He lived for bluegrass. Actually passing the tradition on down through his family who is now playing this wonderful music. I agree with Jim that Dr. Ralph made this world a better place. He was 89 and died from complications with skin cancer. He started his career in the 40's with his brother Carter.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years

first rest in peace to mr stanley at 89 he had a great run and left good tunes. the day before mr wayne jackson 74 passed. now as a trumpet player myself he was a big hero. listen to any stax records and there he is. peacce to all
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

Wow such a great soundboard from Betty. We're not worthy!!! I Second That Emotion deserves a serious volume crank up. I am planning on a 5 hour+ road ride early tomorrow morning and it will begin with this show. This release is why we must wait a week or 2 for DaP 19 announcement. yargh!
user picture

Member for

9 years 2 months

My bad, I'm not neither a KISS fan, nor a Ralph Stanley aficionado. and I'm never facious. Ugggh, I just looked up when DaP 15 was announced (last year's August release). wasn't until july 15! more watering.
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

Loving the release so far.... Still need to give it a thorough and complete go-through though... Dave's P 19: Missed the "something that hasn't been done" clue, but a 90's show would work fine for me. Thought the 30 Trips shows from those years were great. Hornsby is always a welcome addition in my book! And "Days Between"--sublime song--proving Garcia and Hunter still had lots to offer even in '93! Reading Browne's "So Many Roads." Not sure why. Reading about the Dead lacks the ecstasy of listening to them. Hell, all you really need is "The Illustrated Trip," although a mention of DaP's in the 50th Anniversary Edition would have been welcomed, IMHO. Typo's don't bother me. Make lots myself. Anyway, back to Jerry and Merl! Have a great weekend all. Peace.
user picture

Member for

13 years

Saw ol' Ralph on 10/30/04 in the Plant City FL High School auditorium. He had a tiny PA and a room full of country folks, and the whole scene could have been right outta the 1940s. I have never felt so transported back in time -- way before my own time, even. It was a one-of-a-kind experience. And yes, he was a relentless merch hawker, bless him. Paul Stanley also transported me back in time, in a very different way. KISS looks exactly the same as ever because of their makeup. I hope Paul is still kickin'. Gene Simmons can suck a donkey.
user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

Bernie Worrell:(
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

You got that right.
user picture

Member for

13 years 7 months

passed on to the mothership. I met him a few times in late 1990s when he produced and costarred on an album by some friends of mine in Kentucky. He had semi retired to his wife's family's home area in Kentucky, and would often mentor younger funky folk in the area. He had class, heart, and total funk.
user picture

Member for

15 years 1 month

After listening to this more, I like it more, listening to 2nd disc tonight. The Dead growing into a very hi energy band that night and they sound quite hearable, you can hear all sorts of things that you do not normally hear, like Keith is very in the mix, you hear all sorts of percussive stuff, very good "The Other One". Jerry is just plain on that night. Fun Show.
user picture

Member for

15 years 11 months

Thanks for the heads up on the String Cheese downloads. If you sign up for the newsletter at the Band Of Heathens website you can download their Clams & Jams live series for free. I think many of you would enjoy them...take care!
user picture

Member for

9 years 2 months

In case anyone is in need, there are a couple of good '79 deals on ebay. There's a Road Trips Fall '79 w/bonus New on auction, starting bid $30 (no bids yet). There's a 30 Trips 39.99 on auction.
user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

Last call for guesses. I thought about dropping another hint, but that would be like, "Here's the answer." Not very exciting for a prize of decent value. So, if you've yet to offer your 2nd stab at this, midnight tonight (pacific time) signals the end of the contest. If no one gets it, I'll do another one sometime after the DaP 19 announcement. Which, by the way, is.....hang on, someone's running around on my roof. Probably one of those damn Iranian Revolutionary Guard dudes again! If you don't hear back from me in an hour, call Langley.
user picture

Member for

9 years 2 months

Trying to figure out what order to buy things, I looked at some inventory here. In case others have not gotten their E72 shows before what seems like it really is the last chance, here's what appears to be left. All others have been sold out for several weeks (except Wigan 5/7, which sold out in the past week): 5/24 8 left 4/24 11 left 5/4 25 left 4/7 37 left 5/18 24 left 5/13 37 left 4/26 23 left 5/23 19 left 4/8 over 99 4/11 over 99 4/14 over 99 4/16 over99
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....Dead & Co at the Met's field and Phish at Wrigley. It's so Americana, it's dripping red, white and blue. Spent my afternoon at the pool. Summer kicks ass....
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Just a suggestion, but it might help to re-state what the contest is or provide a link to where it is defined. Your last two posts assume everyone knows what the contest/riddle is.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....like dead ahead, I too am lost. Too many rules. I'm no spring chicken ya know....
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 7 months

Sounds to me like Summer isn't a season you're too particularly fond of (LOL)! Glad you're having a great time.
user picture

Member for

13 years 1 month

...listen to that China/Rider! Now that's a damn fine band!!!
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....now, there's a season. Vegas Summers hit hard at first. The trend has been low '90's in late May, then June arrives with it's version of an EZ Bake Oven, except it ain't so easy at first. The 110 degree mark smacks your energy around quickly. But, after accepting the heat, and appreciating the low humidity, one finds themselves seeking the rays. At least one doesn't have to shovel sweat....
user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

no way, my vote for worst is from the 2016 subscription, not a fan of either volume, I did get sucked into buying the tee for 7.19.74 release LOL It seems like this art is lacking serious X-factor, for me its too fabricated / generic. Same artist has done some recent work for Dead and Company, if I recall correctly the Dead and Co MSG 2015 poster was one that caught my eye, but not that much LoveJerry - are you looking for some specific songs , or just going off what is most urgent according to count ? Basically all the shows are top notch, go for the stuff / setlists with songs you like the most However, If you do not have 5.4.72 , you are missing out
user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

I call that one Skeleton Skaters, and it's the only one I really like from the 2015 artist. He had way too many soft lines and colors for my personal taste. I like the DaP 17 art (aka Skeletons & Coattails), but not crazy about the orange juice meets news of the world DaP 19 cover. Tony Millionaire is the guy I liked best (DaP 9. 10, 11, & 12). Not a stinker in the bunch, IF you count the color version of 11 instead of the black and white. I like the idea of the black and white turns to color approach, but as far as the illustration itself, the black and white is too....bland.
user picture

Member for

13 years 1 month

The only artwork I really thought was good from the 2015 artist was DaP16, the little funky psychedelic house, but even that one was just ok. I thought the original artist was good... I always liked volumes 2, 3, 5, and 8. I think the best of the Millionaire run was Thelma, otherwise, I didn't really love his color choices, (and I agree with you that the black and white Wizard of Oz was better in idea than in execution.) Kind of the same thing with the new guy - I like the ideas, but I have found the first two volumes pretty meh. The Millionaire ship on that record store day release, that one was pretty f'n awesome! Wish I would have had the cash to scoop that up. Oh well, just one man's licorice. Peace all, and Happy Sunday!
user picture

Member for

13 years 1 month

... the artwork for this 78 box is high on the list of new releases for me as well :)
product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/july-1978-the-complete-recordings.html