• 7/8/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
    Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
    Artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope
    Intro and show-by-show liner notes by Nicholas Meriwether
    Producer's Note by David Lemieux
    Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 15,000
    Release Date: May 13, 2016

Announcing July 1978: The Complete Recordings

We’re pleased to announce JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS, five incredible unreleased shows and the first official release from the long-lost tapes, recently returned to the Grateful Dead’s vault. Follow the Dead on a sonic journey through a superb selection of settings, an often epic adventure that finds them winning over Willie and Waylon fans in Kansas City, conjuring charisma in Omaha, and elevating the Red Rocks beyond their already spiritual planes. With five distinct performances painting the masterpiece of 1978, Betty Cantor-Jackson's always-pristine soundboard recordings, and the "hall-of-fame pedigree" of the Dead's first-ever shows at the legendary Red Rocks Amphitheatre, this is one release that far exceeds excellence in music, sound quality, and rarity.

Limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies, JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS includes Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, MO (7/1/78), St. Paul Civic Center, St. Paul, MN (7/3/78), Omaha Civic Auditorium, Omaha, NE (7/5/78), and Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison CO (7/7/78 and 7/8/78) - all of the performances in this collection are drawn from the band’s master soundboard recordings, each newly mastered by Jeffrey Norman. The set also features original artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope (D.C. and Marvel comics) and in-depth liner notes written by Nick Meriwether (Grateful Dead Archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz), as well as a producer’s note from producer David Lemieux.

Due May 13th, we anticipate that this extraordinary box will sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks right here.

Looking for something a little more byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • cheryleula

Thank You!

• Slow Dog Noodle

just noticed this says sold out. Its about time. I don't know what took so long. This is a fantastic box set.

• eyes43

The first two listening days players are mixed up, on the main page for the July 78 box set. Just thought admin might want to fix that! Peace!

• perithecat

marye , could you have a look at my order number if you can 137400000224478
    ordered on nov 27th and still nothing . any help would be appreciated .

• ecce homo
    Default Avatar
    July 1978: The Complete Recordings delivered today

Hi just an bit of info for people who were in a similar position to me: I ordered the Box Set (as part of a larger order) on 9-21-19, and it arrived today, so a little over 3 months later. I had written CS once (on November 26) and received a reply on December 3 from Warner Music Group Customer Service which read, in part:

Due to a complex warehouse move we now have a significant backlog of both customer inquiries and shipments, and as a result we haven’t been able to deliver at the level that we pride ourselves on.
    For those waiting on their orders, while we wish we could give you an exact estimate as to when your order will ship, we are still awaiting the exact order status details that we urgently want to get to you.
    We are putting 100% of our focus and dedication into a solution to this shipping delay, and are currently working with our warehouse partner to send out outstanding orders.
    We wish we had been able to have communicated this to you sooner, but we had relied on assurances from our warehouse partner that they would be able to quickly resolve the backlog of orders, and they haven’t been able to honor this commitment. We must again apologize for this delay in reaching out to you.
    While it is not our place to be making requests of you, we do hope that you will continue to be patient with us, as we work through these issues and work with our current partner to ship out your order as soon as possible.
    We are genuinely sorry for the delay and inconvenience associated with your order, and we thank you for your patience and understanding to date.

HANG IN THERE FELLOW DEADHEADS!!!!!! AS ALWAYS IT WILL BE WORTH THE WAIT.
    However, I don't see the Box Set currently listed for sale on the Dead's site right now either? My S/N was 091xx of 15000.
    Peace and Happy Hanukkah!

• carlo13

Merry x-mas to you too. Now the july 78 box completely disappeared from the site which makes me nervous. There were still a bunch left too.

• RobbZ

I feel for you, man. I made the mistake of ordering a simple CD (Terrapin Limited--3/15/90) for a Christmas gift some three weeks ago. Alas, it still sits in a "processing" status. Email requests have been answered with the same "robo-response" bullshit. And what makes it even more frustrating is dead.net had absolutely zero problems charging my credit card the day I ordered it...that portion of their logistical process seems to run flawlessly! And by comparison, I ordered other Christmas gifts from the Foo Fighters, Rush, and Pearl Jam websites the same day as my Dead order, and holy shit, like magic, all their merchandise arrived, as ordered, in less than a week.
    This "we're moving our warehouse" excuse has grown pathetic and old...any logistical issues dead.net is having should be transparent to the customer! But allow me to end my complaints with a few suggestions, as I'm the kind of person who won't complain without bringing some solutions to the table....: (1) SHUT DOWN ALL SALES UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO COMPLETE AN ORDER! (2) DO NOT CHARGE THE CUSTOMER UNTIL AFTER A PRODUCT SHIPS!

Merry Christmas All---and Carlo, if you're really Jonesin for those 78 shows, PM me (if it works) I'm sure I have a copy's I could share

• fourwindsblow

It may take a little time be patient.

"Due to a high-volume of email traffic, there will be a delay in response time".

• Kengoesto11

Wish I knew. I was hoping to confirm that the order will be recognized instead of forgotten. So I tried Dr. Rhino and got the same robo-response/apology as regular customer service email. These responses include a reminder that multiple inquiries may further delay an order...so handcuffed, LOL! But I can still play the shamisen and there are far worse things. It's all good.

• carlo13

I also ordered this box 7 weeks ago and still nada. I am waiting patiently because it will eventually ship. I will say it will ship on Dec. 22. What date do you think.

user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

July 1978: The Complete Recordings

What's Inside:

• Five Complete Shows on 12 discs
• 7/1/78 Arrowhead Stadium: Kansas City, MO
• 7/3/78 St. Paul Civic Center Arena: St. Paul, MN
• 7/5/78 Omaha Civic Auditorium: Omaha, NE
• 7/7/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
• 7/8/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
Artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope
Intro and show-by-show liner notes by Nicholas Meriwether
Producer's Note by David Lemieux
Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 15,000
Release Date: May 13, 2016

Announcing July 1978: The Complete Recordings

We’re pleased to announce JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS, five incredible unreleased shows and the first official release from the long-lost tapes, recently returned to the Grateful Dead’s vault. Follow the Dead on a sonic journey through a superb selection of settings, an often epic adventure that finds them winning over Willie and Waylon fans in Kansas City, conjuring charisma in Omaha, and elevating the Red Rocks beyond their already spiritual planes. With five distinct performances painting the masterpiece of 1978, Betty Cantor-Jackson's always-pristine soundboard recordings, and the "hall-of-fame pedigree" of the Dead's first-ever shows at the legendary Red Rocks Amphitheatre, this is one release that far exceeds excellence in music, sound quality, and rarity.

Limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies, JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS includes Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, MO (7/1/78), St. Paul Civic Center, St. Paul, MN (7/3/78), Omaha Civic Auditorium, Omaha, NE (7/5/78), and Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison CO (7/7/78 and 7/8/78) - all of the performances in this collection are drawn from the band’s master soundboard recordings, each newly mastered by Jeffrey Norman. The set also features original artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope (D.C. and Marvel comics) and in-depth liner notes written by Nick Meriwether (Grateful Dead Archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz), as well as a producer’s note from producer David Lemieux.

Due May 13th, we anticipate that this extraordinary box will sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks right here.

Looking for something a little more byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

great story! On the blues side, I had some friends that had some minor succes back in the 90's. They were/are called Brother Cane. At one point, they toured with Buddy Guy. I got to hang with them for a period of time and met Mr. Guy. He too was a gentleman but wow could he drink. He would drink a couple of bottles crown (if memory is right) before he hit the stage. He could and still does tear the roof off. Always been One of my favorite blues guitarists, but also groups, as he always has a killer band. Go see them. Never seen in person a guy handle his liquor like that. You could hardly tell he had anything to drink. I love a lot of the older blues guys as they would lay down the blues with a touch of funk on the side.
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

RIP Rob! You'll be missed greatly. Listening to the above box today and tipping a cup of the coffee in your honor. (It is Thursday morning.) Also, have been listening to DP 35, a personal favorite, yet again. Forget "something that's never been done." More '71 please! Just saying. Always loved the DL series. A bit unpolished (maybe the sources or production), but always allright with me. Happy to see them getting some love from the GD community Peace!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 11 months

I love the expression on Ken Babbs' face during the Dark Star melt, I think it was. RIP Rob, I will spin some of the Long Island Sound this weekend as a tribute. Happy Fourth of July to you all, have big fun- but let's be careful out there, folks. edit: Ooops, meant DS not PITB
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

great donut story. Made me laugh. "take a tubby." Bet she is a cutie. Somewhere in years gone by I did some research on Pigpen and pigpen and the connection there. Wish I could remember it. But dang, just the mention of donuts makes me crave sugar and carbs. Rats - Dog.
user picture

Member for

13 years

In my haste to get the shrink wrap off, I ran scissors along the inner spine and accidentally created my very own "box cutter" slice! Doh! At least it's not on the spine that faces the world when it's on the shelf. The mix is pretty good, except for some moments of low Hammond organ signal and very little kick drum. The trumpet floats in and out as if moving around the stage. Speaking of our Mystery Guest, he really brings it. This unusual flavor is a much bigger part of the show than expected and it adds huge value. The jams are long and way out there for a Garcia show. His guitar has the biting Strat tone advertised by the Nash gift guitar on the cover. Merle folds in some Clavinet and Moog textures for variety. He sings a bit too. There's a lot to like in this release. It will receive regular rotation around here. I'd say don't miss it. Hard to believe the much more serious sounding Keystone show was taped only days later. They buckled down, knowing the multi-track tape was rolling.
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

It would be cool if Dead & Co. do a few Weir/Wasserman tunes the next few shows or the rest of the run.2 cents. :)
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

A couple other random musings.. Anthem has always been my favorite GD album. I like Capt Beefheart more than Zappa, yet I own more Zappa than Beefheart. Go figure. I had a roommate in college that had something around 20k albums. Was into the first pressing vs. this remaster vs. that mindset. He was a vinyl fanatic. And this was in the early 80's. Every semester he would go home w/ a p-up truck full of old albums, and come back with a truck full of freshies. a great resource for the stoner college crowd that we all were a part of.. was the kind of guy that wrapped every album in a separate plastic cover - album condoms, cleaned each lp carefully every time he spun a disc and was anal about his needles (pun intended). Had everything catalogued, etc. One night he got especially loaded, it was comical and we made sure all was well as he made it upstairs to sleep. We were still up when he heard a ruckus upstairs, as we got to the top of the stairs we witnessed a scarcely clad grown man with a fu-manchu mustache peeing all over his treasured album collection. It was a classic, this is not a closet, its the bathroom you asshole and I'm very drunk moment. Perhaps you have witnessed this same behavior yourself. His favorite band was Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band. Random musings...
user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

gotta love those Orpheum shows. Maybe the "something new" is 7/18/76. The thing not done before is a sequential show. I am hoping for Melkweg I bet they announce Friday or Monday (4th day of July) I have plenty of music, but "a little bit more" is always welcome. A shoutout to my friend Craig for his generosity over the years!
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

Finders Keepers on the latest GarciaLive release is an amazing 9 minutes of funk. It might be my favorite track in this set. I hope there are more Jerry side-project Betty boards to come. I really enjoy Jerry exploring blues/jazz/funk. mystery > At the July 5 Lion's Share concert, a trumpet player whose identity is no longer known sat in on the second set. ?????
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

Did somebody say Download Series? There are some excellent shows there. Vol 1 4/30/77? NOTHING to criticize there. I like a lot of the earlier ones.. 68, 70, 71.. because I don't have a ton of shows from those years.
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

I'll probably be gone for awhile again. I hope everyone gets all of the shows they would love to hear. I know I'm working on it whenever I can. Happy boom pop holiday.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 6 months

Watched the film "Hair" on TCM last night...soundtrack clearly inferior to the original Broadway cast album, but I like when they sing in the song Hair: "It's not for lack of bread...like the Grateful Dead..." Seems like a convenient rhyme without much significance or meaning, though.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 8 months

The Dead perhaps just couldn't afford hair cuts, as the song implies. (Could be true.... I've met people who knew them "when they were bums.") The singer's long hair, however, reflected his conscious freak inclination(s). Gimme down to there!
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Barney Kessel "Kessel Plays Standards" 7/01/54 (4 tracks)Anita O'Day "Let Me Off Uptown" 7/01/57 (3 tracks) JC Adderley "Portrait of Cannonball" 7/01/58 (6 tracks) GD Arrowhead Stadium 7/01/78 I was where? Funny, didn't sound like this when I was there! Buena Vista Social Club at Carnegie Hall 7/01/98 And mojitos!!! Irie Friday, y'all!
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

Jim: Yes, I remember a night of the closet bathroom myself. More than likely around the sound time, maybe the same Saturday night. Probably mid 1985. My brother and I had rented a house while in college. It was kind of like animal house. It was not on fraternity row, it was in the middle of a nice neighborhood. We through some ragers. One night a buddy had gone space wrangler and decided to come down with beer and hard liquor. Passed out in our den, stereo cranking, a few of us still partying. All of a sudden he gets up and walks into the closet where he decides relieve himself. A couple of us get up, "Hey Man, this aint the bathroom." He gets mildly belligerent. Turns his head, still using the bathroom, looses balance, falls into his own urine. Rolls over and vomits on himself. Classic. Still a great friend. Had not thought about that in decades. Got to give him a call this weekend and remind him. Ahh good times, not. haha
user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

Hearing it for the first time. WOW. addendum: I have heard the Midnight Hour before. I just forgot. I for sure don't remember the jam. GD
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

David:I was there. Would love to see entire 3 night run from Universal Studios Amphitheater 1973 released as a nice little box. They were all hot as hell and just exactly perfect. Jim:My son told me this story of his dorm days at Cal State Chico. A guy who was very anal about his priceless collection of basketball shoes was found one night in a drunken state peeing all over them in his dorm closet. I wonder if there's some subconscious Freudian desire to rid one's self of unhealthy obsessions or is it just some drunk kid peeing in a closet? Knowing demon alcohol as well as I do I'll go with the latter.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 3 months

Opened this set up today as a gift from my wife for finishing my third year of dental school-only to find disc 1 of the Omaha concert (strategically placed in the center of the box set) to have a crack through the disc, rendering it unable to play. Called the fine people at customer service who pointed me in the direction of Dr. Rhino, who my wife and I just emailed. Hoping for a miracle replacement disc. Is that something that they can do? Thanks all! HarveyDental
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

You'll be fine, Harvey. I've had a couple replacements and they all worked out ok.
user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

Wow, that would be a great release!! Really under the radar shows but they are all excellent!
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

Been wishing for a June '73 box for a while. But speaking of Universal, that 6/30 show is definitely under-rated; the Black Peter, Row Jimmy, and the Eyes especially are stand out, to my ears. "June 1973: The Complete Recordings" would be my wish, and would make everything right in the world. PS - mhammond, you lucky bastard to have been there ;)
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

right after this 6/30/73 Eyes is done...so damn good ;) 7/1, my sister's birthday. Thinking about my father tonight as well (damned tear-jerker movies on cable, lol). Miss and love you both. Thanks for watching over me from beyond...
user picture

Member for

15 years 11 months

Good morning rockers!!!! Temporary departure from lurker/sleeper mode to present this: https://archive.org/details/gd1971-07-02.prefm.cribbs.33659.flac16 Forty-five years ago today, the Dead's last show at Fillmore West, much maligned, perhaps rightly so, but hard rocking and definitely has its moments............ So, in the spirit of sharing and spreading the music, for today only, any kind folks who would like a copy feel free to PM me, include your e-mail (that's how I'll send it to you), and specify if you'd like mp3 or FLAC copy.... Rock on rockers!!! Doc
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 10 months
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

My story is from freshman year. Big keg party. We took one guys mattress, pulled the handles off of it, and threw it out the window to the party below. My buddy walks over and starts to pee on it. We yell down to him that it is HIS mattress. He says "No its not. My has handles"! Priceless! Rock on
user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

Yeah!
user picture

Member for

13 years

Doc hooked me up with this 7/2/71 show, and it is sounding good on this gorgeous Saturday here in B'more! Greasy!
user picture

Member for

13 years

A little searching the ol' interwebs, and I found this bootleg album cover for 7/2/71... I am not sure how to post just the file, so here is the link to the website where I found it: http://lostlivedead.blogspot.com/2014/09/july-2-1971-fillmore-west-san-… If you scroll down, you can see it and grab it to add to the kind gift Doc has offered this fine morning. It's a weird cover, but I like it :)
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

I hope you get some takers. I practically woke up setting my jaw for the 45th. The Ugly Beauty (TM) rules! Jerry on humbuckers. If ever there were a show that left you totaled, this would be it. See ya in August.
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Thanks for the heads up David, I checked my copy of this show and right off audience with people talking loud about bullshit while band was jamming off. The Charlie copy was GREAT. Once again people on this site have pointed me to a better copy than the one I had. Hard to impossible to find "better" copies without more ears. I downloaded the entire collection off the archive years ago, but I don't go back to look for "better", got best while I was there, if better comes along I count on it being pointed out here. Bathrooms and drunks that need to piss - Years ago I had a girlfriend whose parents were big drinkers (not drunks), but boy could they drink. At one of their parties her aunt got pass drunk and pissed in the dryer. How she did that I don't know, but it stunk for quite a while. In my group we had a guy who rented a house and threw huge parties. This was a small house in the woods. The house was a square donut, you came in front door and right in front of you was a door to the bathroom, on left was dining room, behind that kitchen, right into living room, and right again bedroom, and right again back to front door. That square space in middle of the house was bathroom, heat system. Just a small square house. At this one party I was leaning against the bathroom door shootin the shit with buddies and we're all tripping balls. I guy comes up and asked about the bathroom and I said someone's in there. He's standing there looking like someone who has to go. Finally he starts to walk around the house. A second person came up and I told them the same thing. Finally a third came. So now I have these 3 people in a holding pattern walking around the house. We're all laughing about this when after twice around the block the first guy says are you sure someone's in there, I look and say oh good I got to go, and went in first. At Lockn last year me and my buddy still had a chuckle over the holding pattern at that Gates Ave party. Ok, one final one. Saw Simon and Garfunkel in Central Park in 82. We got there very early, like 6 hours before show time. We were in the top 10% of the crowd. They said a half a million people showed up. When I see the crowd pictures I can not believe how close we were. Once again tripping balls. At some point we decide to head to the port-a-potties before crowd got any larger. Well there was a good line in front of every stall. We had to be 30 people back. I started in with a rolling monologue of water and bathroom jokes for maybe a dozen people around me while we're all waiting. Then I start telling people to watch the faces of the people coming out when done. Most spoke of relief, some of disgust, but everyone around me were laughing their asses off. Two quick things about concert,,,, no 3 things. First it WAS a great concert to be at. Among the group of about 12 of us there was one guy who after waiting 6 hours, decided he was going to start to head out and beat the crowd. There was a half a million people there and we we're really squeezed in. Guy says good bye, S&G start playing, now the crowd really squeezes forward. An hour later he was maybe 20 feet from where he started, between songs we kept waving to him and yelling "bye". After show this crowd started moving away, got out to street and still a sea of people. We were going to take the subway back to lower Manhattan, but the people were packed like sardines in the stairways down waiting for the platforms to clear. I had never seen such a crowd. We begged off the subway and just started walking towards the World Trade Center. About a dozen of us, tripping heavily. We seem to move thru some rough areas, we just stay tight together and moved fast, very fast. Never gave anyone time to act upon us. Years later I heard Public Enemy's "Welcome to the Terrordome" for the first time the line hit me "move as a team, never move alone and welcome to the terrordome. Well that rambled on! Have a good weekend all.
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Did anyone else catch the Bravo show with Bob and John? Was a half hour show. Don't remember name (and just watched it last night!) But it was a decent funny interview with the two and they played an acoustic friend of the devil. I only caught it because a friend called me and gave me a heads up. If you can find it somewhere, worth the 20 minutes it takes to watch.
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

anybody know where to get the Red Rocks Tee for this set, I would also be interested in the water bottle ? they have been floating around since time of release,, the graphic is same as 7.8.78 cover art on a burgundy color tee :)
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 6 months

Since peeing has been brought up...My best pee experience occurred on a train in 1973, an open boxcar (between Atlanta & Birmingham). Me & a friend had hopped on, hobo-style. The incredible vision: while the train was speeding, standing at the open door, peeing------the pee did not fall but streamed out horizontally in a straight line------all the way past the caboose------still connected with its pouring source unbroken & getting longer, longer & longer------ An amazing sight indeed.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

You have widened my vocabulary. Juicy Wiggle is making its way into peoples vocabulary in my neck of the woods. Others are using it and it is taking on a life of its own. What does it mean again.. wait, nevermind.. ..and so the juicy wiggle begins...
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

07/03/69Reed's Ranch - Colorado Springs, CO https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/63/af/83/63af83aedb5631990c0e… Devin Mikles (solo act) Holden Caulfield Blues Band Zephyr Alice Cooper The Grateful Dead Charlie Miller SBD 2015 https://archive.org/details/gd1969-07-03.132377.sbd.miller.flac16 Green Green Grass Of Home > Slewfoot Sitting On Top Of The World Morning Dew High Time Me And My Uncle Casey Jones He Was A Friend Of Mine Turn On Your Lovelight
user picture

Member for

15 years

Dr Rhino will take care of your disc problems and replace them, that is part of what he does.Jim
user picture

Member for

15 years 11 months

Good morning rockers!!! Forty-five years and a day................... Eight kind folks asked for a copy of 7/2/71. Not a bad response at all............ Back to lurker/sleeper mode. See you all on August 4, 5 and/or 6.............. Keep it real, keep it rockin'! Doc
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 6 months

I saw the Series being discussed on this thread earlier and thought I'd divert the conversation away from pee stories. I also thought those who purchased the series as well as those thinking of purchasing it might like to have some info on the series. I purchased the entire series at one time and would do so again. There's some great music to be had. Keep in mind I used both Deadbase 50 and Deadlists for the info. If anyone knows differently please say so. #1 - 4/30/77 Passaic, NJ : complete show with bonus material consisting of 'Sugaree', 'Scarlet Begonias' and 'GDTRFB' from the night before. #2 - 1/18/70 Portland, OR: incomplete show missing 'Mama Tried' and 'Me And My Uncle'. #3 - 10/26/71 Rochester, NY: Radio broadcast. Incomplete show missing 'Beat It On Down The Line'. Might have omitted it to announce their call letters (remember those?). One of my favorites. #4 - 6/18/76 Passaic, NJ: incomplete show missing 'Tennessee Jed' but has bonus material consisting of songs from 6/21 & 6/22 & 6/23 at the Tower Theatre in Upper Darby, PA (the 'Playing >Drums > Wheel > Playing' actually opened the 2nd set of 6/22 and 'High Time' was only played on 6/23). I found a flawed Charlie Miller soundboard of 6/21 and a Hunter Seamons matrix of 6/21 and while I couldn't put together a complete 6/21 show, I added all the bonus material to it and made a Tower Theatre compilation of sorts (and it sounds pretty damn good if I do say so myself). #5 - 3/27/88 - Hampton, VA: complete show. #6 - 3/17/68 - San Francisco, CA: complete show. #7 - 9/3/80 - Springfield, MA: complete show and with bonus material consisting of almost the entire 2nd set from the next night 9/4 in Providence, RI. #8 - 12/10/73 - Charlotte, NC - incomplete show missing 'Jack Straw', 'Tennessee Jed', 'El Paso', 'Me And My Uncle' and 'Brown-Eyed Women'. One of the shows I was most looking forward to but still a good listen. #9 - 4/2-3/89 - Pittsburgh, PA: this is a great deal for those looking for later shows. 2 complete shows from Pittsburgh. You can't go wrong with this one. #10 - 7/21/72 - Seattle, WA: incomplete show missing the 'Promised Land' opener but it does have approx, 52 mins. from the next night 7/22 at the same venue. I think 'Morning Dew' and 'Bird Song' more than make up for the missing opener. #11 - 6/20/91: Clarkston, MI: another one for those looking for later shows. Complete show with approx. 50 mins. added from the previous night, 6/19 at the same venue. #12 - 4/17/69: St. Louis. MO: complete show but with a tape cut between the 2nd 'St. Stephen' and 'The Eleven'. #13 - 2/14/70: San Francisco, CA: 'Hard To Handle' and 'China/Rider' were recorded for a PBS special. 'China/Rider' through 'Good Lovin' were found on a tape reel in the Dead's vault with the 2/14/70 date. I'm not sure if 'Black Peter' and 'Me And My Uncle' were also on the tape. I'm also not sure where 'Hard To Handle' was taken from. You can read up on it at Deadlists or someone else may have additional info. It's another in a long line of Dead mysteries! So there you have it. I personally think the series is worth it and enjoy it quite a lot. And again if anybody has additional/contradictory info please come forward.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....quick now. Irvine '88. I was really high and tripping hard. Stumbled upon to the top of the lawn. Had to lay down. Laid down in some bushes across from the bathrooms. Little did I know, those bushes were the "back up" bathrooms. 'nuff said. Did someone say Happy 4th?!....
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Huh, what brings me back? Pee stories: 2006 "Free Speech Festival" in the Berkshires (there were like 100 people there). Pete Seeger was there unofficially, to see his grandson's band play (though Pete and Arlo played an unannounced show). I hung out with Peter for a bit on the porch of the Dream Away Lodge that day, watching him teach a couple of girls how to play spoons. Danced with him watching a band. Felt pretty amazing about it. THEN, I was telling my friend Tom about this when he says, "Pete and I just went into the woods to piss." Got me again Tom. (By the way, Pete Seeger was EXACTLY as wonderful, sweet, generous, and kind as can be imagined). Happy July 4th everyone!
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Well now... double post.
user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

Duodecuple post, sorry.Just look that up.
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

~ Volume 1 does not appear to have soundcheck material, seems like it was from previous night (4.29.77) / the three bonus tracks ~ Volume 2 Springer Inn - I remember something missing and I think thats it, played on Sirius in January, it was really cold that night here, and your post just melted that nugget in my brain. Also just look out, I am pretty sure some stuff from the 1.16.70 Springers Inn will be released as well ~ Volume 9 is ***** really like "Queen Jane Approximately" and this portion is primo We Can Run Brown-Eyed Woman Queen Jane Approximately Tennessee Jed > The Music Never Stopped After 1st set concludes tracklist jumps to encore and it is one of my favorite performances of this track "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue" "Black Muddy River" also ***** Hip hip hooray for the Download Series
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....here in Nevada, the fireworks are strictly regulated. Shame. Awesome though, that the Dead were the furthest from that statement....taking risks and going full on bozo was their bread and butter. Still miss ya Jer....
product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/july-1978-the-complete-recordings.html