• 7/8/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
    Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
    Artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope
    Intro and show-by-show liner notes by Nicholas Meriwether
    Producer's Note by David Lemieux
    Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 15,000
    Release Date: May 13, 2016

Announcing July 1978: The Complete Recordings

We’re pleased to announce JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS, five incredible unreleased shows and the first official release from the long-lost tapes, recently returned to the Grateful Dead’s vault. Follow the Dead on a sonic journey through a superb selection of settings, an often epic adventure that finds them winning over Willie and Waylon fans in Kansas City, conjuring charisma in Omaha, and elevating the Red Rocks beyond their already spiritual planes. With five distinct performances painting the masterpiece of 1978, Betty Cantor-Jackson's always-pristine soundboard recordings, and the "hall-of-fame pedigree" of the Dead's first-ever shows at the legendary Red Rocks Amphitheatre, this is one release that far exceeds excellence in music, sound quality, and rarity.

Limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies, JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS includes Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, MO (7/1/78), St. Paul Civic Center, St. Paul, MN (7/3/78), Omaha Civic Auditorium, Omaha, NE (7/5/78), and Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison CO (7/7/78 and 7/8/78) - all of the performances in this collection are drawn from the band’s master soundboard recordings, each newly mastered by Jeffrey Norman. The set also features original artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope (D.C. and Marvel comics) and in-depth liner notes written by Nick Meriwether (Grateful Dead Archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz), as well as a producer’s note from producer David Lemieux.

Due May 13th, we anticipate that this extraordinary box will sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks right here.

Looking for something a little more byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • cheryleula

Thank You!

• Slow Dog Noodle

just noticed this says sold out. Its about time. I don't know what took so long. This is a fantastic box set.

• eyes43

The first two listening days players are mixed up, on the main page for the July 78 box set. Just thought admin might want to fix that! Peace!

• perithecat

marye , could you have a look at my order number if you can 137400000224478
    ordered on nov 27th and still nothing . any help would be appreciated .

• ecce homo
    Default Avatar
    July 1978: The Complete Recordings delivered today

Hi just an bit of info for people who were in a similar position to me: I ordered the Box Set (as part of a larger order) on 9-21-19, and it arrived today, so a little over 3 months later. I had written CS once (on November 26) and received a reply on December 3 from Warner Music Group Customer Service which read, in part:

Due to a complex warehouse move we now have a significant backlog of both customer inquiries and shipments, and as a result we haven’t been able to deliver at the level that we pride ourselves on.
    For those waiting on their orders, while we wish we could give you an exact estimate as to when your order will ship, we are still awaiting the exact order status details that we urgently want to get to you.
    We are putting 100% of our focus and dedication into a solution to this shipping delay, and are currently working with our warehouse partner to send out outstanding orders.
    We wish we had been able to have communicated this to you sooner, but we had relied on assurances from our warehouse partner that they would be able to quickly resolve the backlog of orders, and they haven’t been able to honor this commitment. We must again apologize for this delay in reaching out to you.
    While it is not our place to be making requests of you, we do hope that you will continue to be patient with us, as we work through these issues and work with our current partner to ship out your order as soon as possible.
    We are genuinely sorry for the delay and inconvenience associated with your order, and we thank you for your patience and understanding to date.

HANG IN THERE FELLOW DEADHEADS!!!!!! AS ALWAYS IT WILL BE WORTH THE WAIT.
    However, I don't see the Box Set currently listed for sale on the Dead's site right now either? My S/N was 091xx of 15000.
    Peace and Happy Hanukkah!

• carlo13

Merry x-mas to you too. Now the july 78 box completely disappeared from the site which makes me nervous. There were still a bunch left too.

• RobbZ

I feel for you, man. I made the mistake of ordering a simple CD (Terrapin Limited--3/15/90) for a Christmas gift some three weeks ago. Alas, it still sits in a "processing" status. Email requests have been answered with the same "robo-response" bullshit. And what makes it even more frustrating is dead.net had absolutely zero problems charging my credit card the day I ordered it...that portion of their logistical process seems to run flawlessly! And by comparison, I ordered other Christmas gifts from the Foo Fighters, Rush, and Pearl Jam websites the same day as my Dead order, and holy shit, like magic, all their merchandise arrived, as ordered, in less than a week.
    This "we're moving our warehouse" excuse has grown pathetic and old...any logistical issues dead.net is having should be transparent to the customer! But allow me to end my complaints with a few suggestions, as I'm the kind of person who won't complain without bringing some solutions to the table....: (1) SHUT DOWN ALL SALES UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO COMPLETE AN ORDER! (2) DO NOT CHARGE THE CUSTOMER UNTIL AFTER A PRODUCT SHIPS!

Merry Christmas All---and Carlo, if you're really Jonesin for those 78 shows, PM me (if it works) I'm sure I have a copy's I could share

• fourwindsblow

It may take a little time be patient.

"Due to a high-volume of email traffic, there will be a delay in response time".

• Kengoesto11

Wish I knew. I was hoping to confirm that the order will be recognized instead of forgotten. So I tried Dr. Rhino and got the same robo-response/apology as regular customer service email. These responses include a reminder that multiple inquiries may further delay an order...so handcuffed, LOL! But I can still play the shamisen and there are far worse things. It's all good.

• carlo13

I also ordered this box 7 weeks ago and still nada. I am waiting patiently because it will eventually ship. I will say it will ship on Dec. 22. What date do you think.

user picture

Member for

17 years 1 month

July 1978: The Complete Recordings

What's Inside:

• Five Complete Shows on 12 discs
• 7/1/78 Arrowhead Stadium: Kansas City, MO
• 7/3/78 St. Paul Civic Center Arena: St. Paul, MN
• 7/5/78 Omaha Civic Auditorium: Omaha, NE
• 7/7/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
• 7/8/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
Artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope
Intro and show-by-show liner notes by Nicholas Meriwether
Producer's Note by David Lemieux
Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 15,000
Release Date: May 13, 2016

Announcing July 1978: The Complete Recordings

We’re pleased to announce JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS, five incredible unreleased shows and the first official release from the long-lost tapes, recently returned to the Grateful Dead’s vault. Follow the Dead on a sonic journey through a superb selection of settings, an often epic adventure that finds them winning over Willie and Waylon fans in Kansas City, conjuring charisma in Omaha, and elevating the Red Rocks beyond their already spiritual planes. With five distinct performances painting the masterpiece of 1978, Betty Cantor-Jackson's always-pristine soundboard recordings, and the "hall-of-fame pedigree" of the Dead's first-ever shows at the legendary Red Rocks Amphitheatre, this is one release that far exceeds excellence in music, sound quality, and rarity.

Limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies, JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS includes Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, MO (7/1/78), St. Paul Civic Center, St. Paul, MN (7/3/78), Omaha Civic Auditorium, Omaha, NE (7/5/78), and Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison CO (7/7/78 and 7/8/78) - all of the performances in this collection are drawn from the band’s master soundboard recordings, each newly mastered by Jeffrey Norman. The set also features original artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope (D.C. and Marvel comics) and in-depth liner notes written by Nick Meriwether (Grateful Dead Archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz), as well as a producer’s note from producer David Lemieux.

Due May 13th, we anticipate that this extraordinary box will sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks right here.

Looking for something a little more byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

my old buddy your moving much to sloooow-wo-o
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

slow but steady sales
user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

This is one of the very-best things I have ever heard from the Dead, and I have them ALL. Seriously, just purchase this and strap yourself in. It's really that great.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 7 months

Love this box set! Shocked that it still hasn't sold out. Where are you guys seeing the amount remaining?
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

"1913: The Year Before The Storm."
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

"Paul McCartney was only in the greatest band ever..........Wings"
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

Marge (to Homer): So you want to go on tour with a traveling freak show.Homer: I don't think I have a choice, Marge. Marge: Of course you have a choice. Homer: How do you figure? Marge: You don't have to join a freak show just because the opportunity came along. Homer: You know, Marge, in some ways, you and I are very different people.
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

(Smoke wafting around) Bart: "smells like Otto's jacket" (While watching Peter Frampton) Otto's friend: "wow, that guy's guitar is talking". Otto: "wow, my shoes are talking" Backstage: Billy Corgan to Homer: "Billy Corgan, Smashing Pumpkins" Homer in response: "Homer Simpson, smiling politely"
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

"The only thing I'm high on is Love for my Son and Daughters. Yes, a little LSD is all I need."
user picture

Member for

8 years 1 month

To Bart & Lisa"Trying is the first step to failure. " So true...
user picture

Member for

8 years 1 month

"When a woman says nothing's wrong, it means everything's wrong. When a woman says everything's wrong, it means everything's wrong. And when a woman says that something isn't funny, you better not laugh your ass off."
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

Lisa while in the sensory deprivation tank: "How am I supposed to hallucinate with all these swirling colors distracting me?"
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

He sang The Witchdoctor song. . . . . . . . "Marge, if this is about laying off the insanity peppers I'm way ahead of you."
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

...let's do this, and then I'll get back to killing you with beer."
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Events October 28: Statue of Liberty dedicated. February 14 – The first train load of oranges leaves Los Angeles via the transcontinental railroad. March – Anti-Chinese sentiments result in riots in Seattle, USA. March 17 – Carrollton Massacre: 20 African Americans are killed in Mississippi. May 1 – A general strike begins in the United States, which escalates into the Haymarket Riot and eventually wins the eight-hour workday in the U.S. May 8 – Pharmacist Dr. John Stith Pemberton invents a carbonated beverage that would be named Coca-Cola. May 17 – Santa Clara County v. Southern Pacific Railroad: The U.S. Supreme Court rules that corporations have the same rights as living persons. May 29 – Pharmacist John Pemberton begins to advertise Coca-Cola (advertisement in the Atlanta Journal). June 2 – U.S. President Grover Cleveland marries Frances Folsom in the White House, becoming the only president to wed in the executive mansion. She is 28 years his junior. June 9 – The centennial of the Stoughton Musical Society is celebrated. July 23 – Steve Brodie fakes a jump from the Brooklyn Bridge. August 20 – A massive hurricane demolishes the town of Indianola, Texas. August 31 – The 6.9–7.3 Mw Charleston earthquake affects southeastern South Carolina with a maximum Mercalli intensity of X (Extreme). Sixty people were killed and damage is estimated at $5–6 million. September 4 – Indian Wars: After almost 30 years of fighting, Apache leader Geronimo surrenders with his last band of warriors to General Nelson Miles at Skeleton Canyon in Arizona. October 28 – In New York Harbor, U.S. President Grover Cleveland dedicates the Statue of Liberty. Undated – Father Augustine Tolton, the first Roman Catholic priest from the United States to proclaim himself African American, is ordained in Rome. Ongoing Gilded Age (1869–c. 1896)
user picture

Member for

15 years 4 months

"Me fail English? That's unpossible!" Where are the downloads? Or did Rhino realize no one wants to shell out $140 for, basically, three shows?
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

the tech folks are working on some issues and the downloads will return when said issues are resolved.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

marye doesn't need me to defend her, but not cool, pvcnova. marye is a blessing to these boards. She has gone way above and beyond the call of duty to help those with problems here. In my book if she says something, it's true.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

For the 1870 census, enumerators recorded demographic information on the following topics, organized by column number: Number of dwelling house, by order of visitation from enumerator Number of family, by order of visitation from enumerator Name Age Sex Color - Enumerators could mark "W" for White, "B" for Black, "M" for Mulatto, "C" for Chinese [a category which included all east Asians], or "I" for American Indian. Profession, occupation, or trade Value of real estate Value of personal estate Place of birth - State or territory of the United States or foreign country Was the person's father of foreign birth? Was the person's mother of foreign birth? If the person was born within the last year, which month? If the person was married within the last year, which month? Did the person attend school within the last year? Can the person not read? Can the person not write? Is the person deaf and dumb, blind, insane, or idiotic? Is the person a male citizen of the United States of 21 years or upwards? Is the person a male citizen of the United States of 21 years or upwards whose right to vote is denied or abridged on grounds other than "rebellion or other crime?"
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

1852 in History January 1 1st U.S. public bath opens, in New York City Netherlands begins issuing postage stamps January 3 1st Chinese arrive in Hawaii January 17 British recognize independence of Transvaal (in South Africa) February 2 1st British public men's toilet opens (Fleet St. London) Alexandre Dumas Jr's "Le Dame aux Camelias," premieres in Paris February 11 1st British public female toilet opens (Bedford Street London) February 15 Great Ormond St. Hospital for Sick Children, London, admits 1st patient February 26 British frigate Birkenhead sinks off South Africa-458 die March 7 Dutch telegraph traffic regulated by law March 13 Uncle Sam cartoon figure made its debut in the New York Lantern weekly March 20 Harriet Beecher Stowe's "Uncle Tom's Cabin" published (Boston) March 25 Friedrich Hebbel's "Agnes Bernauer," premieres in Munich March 29 Ohio makes it illegal for children under 18 and women to work more than 10 hours a day April 19 California Historical Society forms April 29 1st edition of Peter Roget's Thesaurus published April 30 Anton Rubinsteins opera "Dmitri Donskoi," premieres in St. Petersburg May 18 Massachusetts rules all school-age children must attend school July 3 Congress authorizes U.S.'s 2nd mint (San Francisco, California) July 9 Fire destroys 1,100 construction sites in Montreal Canada and no one die July 23 1st interment in U.S. National Cemetery at Presidio July 31 Hottest July in Netherlands since at least 1783 (68.4 degrees F (20.2 degrees C) avg) August 1 San Francisco Methodists establish 1st black church, Zion Methodist August 3 1st intercollegiate rowing race, Harvard beats Yale by 4 lengths August 20 Steamer "Atlantic" collided with fishing boat, sinks with 250 aboard September 3 Anti Jewish riots break out in Stockholm September 11 Olympia Columbian is 1st newspaper published north of Columbia R September 14 18th Postmaster General: Samuel D Hubbard of Connecticut takes office September 24 Henri Giffard, a French engineer, makes 1st dirigible flight September 27 George L Aiken's "Uncle Tom's Cabin," premieres in Troy, New York October 16 Dutch Government recognize Catholics right to organize November 2 Franklin Pierce elected as president of U.S. November 18 State funeral of duke of Wellington (London) November 20 Charles Reade/Tom Taylor's "Masks and Faces," premieres in London November 21 Duke U, founded in 1838 as Union Institute chartered as Normal College November 23 Just past midnight, a sharp jolt causes Lake Merced to drop 30' (9m) December 1 Telegraph company opens throughout Netherlands December 2 2nd French empire established; Louis Napoleon becomes emperor December 8 Gustav Freytag's "Die Journalisten," premieres in Breslau December 17 1st Hawaiian cavalry organized December 23 1st Chinese theater in U.S., Celestial John, opens in San Francisco December 29 Emma Snodgrass arrested in Boston for wearing pants December 31 Future president and Mrs. Rutherford B Hayes marry
user picture

Member for

15 years 4 months

Less cool: some b.s., or calling out some b.s.?
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

And come back with some magic mushrooms. Or complaints are going to start rolling your way. Hahahahah
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 6 months

Any news on when digital downloads will be up and running again?
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Jan 1 1st official horse race in South Australia-AdelaideJan 6 The forerunner of Morse code, the telegraph system, is first demonstrated by Alfred Vail Jan 8 Rebellion at Amherstburg, Ontario breaks out Jan 11 First public demonstration of telegraph message sent using dots & dashes at Speedwell Ironworks, Morristown, New Jersey by Samuel Morse and Alfred Vail Jan 26 Tennessee enacts the first prohibition law in the United States Feb 16 Kentucky passes law permitting women to attend school under conditions Feb 16 Weenen Massacre: Hundreds of Voortrekkers along the Blaukraans River, Natal are killed by Zulu warriors Feb 25 London pedestrian walks 20 miles backward then forward in 8 hours Feb 28 Robert Nelson, leader of the Patriotes, proclaims the independence of Lower Canada (today Québec) Mar 3 Rebellion at Pelee Island, Ontario, Canada Mar 6 Franz Grillparzer's "Weh dem, der Lugt" premieres in Vienna Mar 8 US mint in New Orleans begins operation (producing dimes) Apr 8 Steamship "Great Western" maiden voyage (Bristol, England, to NYC) Apr 9 UK National Gallery re-opens in its new dedicated building in Trafalgar Square, London Apr 22 English steamship "Sirius" docks in NYC after crossing the Atlantic, first transatlantic steam passenger service Apr 23 English steamship "Great Western" crossing Atlantic docks in NYC Apr 27 Fire destroys half of Charleston Apr 30 Nicaragua declares independence from Central American federation Jun 10 Myall Creek Massacre in Australia: 28 Aboriginal Australians are murdered. Jun 11 Iowa Territory is organized Jun 12 Hopkins Observatory, dedicated in Williamstown, Mass Jun 12 Iowa Territory forms with Burlington as its capital Jun 28 Coronation of Queen Victoria in Westminster Abbey, London Jul 4 Huskar Colliery Mining Disaster in Silkstone England: mining pit floods drown 26 children, leads to 1842 'Mines and Collieries Act' bans women and children working underground Jul 7 Central American federation is dissolved Jul 8 Arabs attack Jewish community of Safed Aug 1 Apprenticeship system abolished in most of the British Empire. Former slaves no longer indentured to former owners. Aug 18 United States Exploring Expedition headed by Charles Wilkes departs for the Pacific Ocean and Antarctica Sep 3 Frederick Douglass escapes from slavery disguised as a sailor Sep 5 Central Museum opens in Utrecht Netherlands Sep 10 Hector Berlioz' opera "Benvenuto Cellini" premieres in Paris Sep 18 Anti-Corn Law League established by Richard Cobden Sep 19 Ephraim Morris patents railroad brake Sep 24 Anti-Corn-Law League forms to repeal English Corn Law Oct 1 Civil Code enforced (- Jan 1, 1992) Oct 27 Missouri governor Lilburn Boggs issues the Extermination Order, which orders all Mormons to leave the state or be exterminated. Nov 3 The Times of India, world's largest circulated English language daily broadsheet newspaper founded as The Bombay Times and Journal of Commerce Nov 5 Honduras declares independence of Central American Federation Nov 8 Victor Hugo's "Ruy Blas" premieres in Paris Nov 30 Mexico declares war on France Dec 16 Boers beat Zulu chieftain Dingaan in South Africa Dec 16 Battle of Blood River: Zulu impis defeated by Voortrekkers in South Africa (Great Trek)
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Historical Events 1817 Jan 7 2nd Bank of US opens in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Jan 18 José de San Martín leads a revolutionary army over the Andes to attack Spanish royalists in Chile Jan 22 British freighter Diana sinks off Malaya Jan 25 Rossini's opera "La Cenerentola" premieres in Rome Jan 31 Franz Grillparzer's "Die Ahnfrau" premieres in Vienna Feb 5 1st US gas co incorporated, Baltimore (coal gas for street lights) Feb 17 1st US city lit by gas (Baltimore) Mar 2 1st Evangelical church building dedicated, New Berlin, Pennsylvania Mar 3 Mississippi Territory is divided into Alabama Territory & Mississippi Mar 8 The New York Stock Exchange is founded. Mar 25 Tsar Alexander I recommends formation of Society of Israeli Christians Apr 15 1st American school for the deaf opens (Hartford, Connecticut) Apr 17 1st US school for deaf (Hartford, Connecticut) Apr 22 Curacao prohibits use of white paint due to fierce sunlight May 15 Ambonese uprising against Dutch authority (modern Indonesia), under Thomas Matulesia (aka Kapitan Pattimura) May 15 Opening of the first private mental health hospital in the United States, the Asylum for the Relief of Persons Deprived of the Use of Their Reason (now Friends Hospital) in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. May 16 Mississippi River steamboat service begins Jul 4 Chief Engineer James Geddes begins construction on the Erie Canal, (Rome, New York), one of the first great engineering works in North America Jul 12 1st flower show held (Dannybrook, County Cork, Ireland) Jul 12 Karl Drais von Sauerbronn demonstrates bicycle course Aug 18 60-70ft sea serpent sightings reported offshore in Gloucester, Massachusetts Sep 9 Alexander Twilight, probably first African American to graduate from a US college, receives BA degree at Middlebury College Sep 22 John Quincy Adams becomes US Secretary of State Oct 9 University of Gent officially opens Oct 20 1st Mississippi "Showboat" leaves Nashville on maiden voyage Nov 20 First Seminole War begins in Florida Nov 25 First sword swallower in US performs (NYC) Nov 27 US soldiers attack Florida Indian village, beginning Seminole War Dec 10 Mississippi admitted as 20th state of the Union Dec 16 Leaders of Molukkas uprising hanged in Ambon
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

1798 left Jan 1 Russia appoints 1st Jewish censor to censor Hebrew books Jan 8 11th Amendment ratified, judicial powers construed Jan 22 Coup d'état in Batavian Republic Jan 30 Rep Matthew Lyon (Vt) spits in face of Rep Roger Griswold (Ct) in US House of Representatives, after an argument Feb 2 Federal St Theater, Boston, becomes 1st in US destroyed by fire Feb 10 Louis Alexandre Berthier invades Rome (15th February proclaim a Roman Republic, 20th February take Pope Pius VI prisoner) Feb 20 Louis Alexandre Berthier removes Pope Pius VI from power. Mar 4 Catholic women force to do penance for kindling sabbath fire for Jews Mar 7 The French army enters Rome: the birth of the Roman Republic. Mar 9 Dr George Balfour becomes 1st naval surgeon in the US navy Mar 29 Republic of Switzerland forms Apr 7 Mississippi Territory organized Apr 23 Dutch emperor accepts new Constitution Apr 30 US Department of the Navy forms May 24 Irish Rebellion of 1798 led by the United Irishmen against British rule begins. May 26 British kill about 500 Irish insurgents at the Battle of Tara May 27 The Battle of Oulart Hill takes place in Wexford, Ireland. Jun 5 The Battle of New Ross: The attempt to spread United Irish Rebellion into Munster is defeated. Jun 7 Jews of Pesaro Italy fast commemorating murder of Jews Jun 7 Thomas Malthus publishes the first edition of his influential 'Essay on the Principle of Population' (date of the unsigned preface) Jun 13 Mission San Luis Rey de Francia founded in California Jun 25 US passes Alien Act allowing president to deport dangerous aliens Jul 1 Napoleon's fleet reaches Alexandria Egypt Jul 6 US law makes aliens "liable to be apprehended, restrained, ... & removed as alien enemies" Jul 7 Quasi-War: the U.S. Congress rescinds treaties with France sparking the 'war.' Jul 11 US Marine Corps established by an act of Congress Jul 14 1st direct US federal tax on states-on dwellings, land & slaves Jul 14 US Sedition Act prohibits "false, scandalous & malicious" writing against government Jul 16 US Public Health Service forms & US Marine Hospital authorized Jul 21 Napoleon Bonaparte wins Battle of Pyramids in Egypt Jul 23 Napoleon captures Alexandria, Egypt Aug 1 Battle of the Nile: British Royal Navy under Admiral Horatio Nelson attacks and decimates the French fleet at Aboukir Bay off the Nile Delta, Egypt Aug 2 Battle of the Nile: British Royal Navy under Admiral Horatio Nelson further decimates the French fleet Aug 3 Battle of the Nile: British Admiral Horatio Nelson forces the remnants of the French fleet to surrender, concluding a decisive victory for the British who capture or destroy 11 French ships of the line and 2 frigates Aug 22 French troops land in Kilcummin harbour, County Mayo, Ireland to aid Wolfe Tone's United Irishmen's Irish Rebellion. Aug 27 Battle of Castlebar, Ireland: French army and Irish rebels rout a larger the British force Sep 1 Britain signs treaty with Nizam of Hyderabad, India Sep 2 First bank robbery in the US: Bank of Pennsylvania robbed of $162,821 at Carpenter's Hall, Philadelphia Sep 3 Battle of St. George's Caye: Week long battle begins between the Spanish Empire and Great Britain off the coast of Belize Sep 5 New conscription law goes into effect in France Sep 10 British Honduras beats Spain in battle of St George Oct 12 Flemish uprising against French occupied Boerenkrijg Oct 12 Friedrich von Schiller's "Wallensteins Lager" premieres in Weimar Nov 16 Kentucky becomes first state to nullify an act of Congress Nov 17 -21) Snow storms in New England, hundreds die Nov 27 Rabbi Shneur Zalman, author (Tanya), released from St Petersburg jail Dec 4 Rebellious Flemish farmers occupy Hasselt Dec 5 Dutch troops occupy Hasselt Dec 14 David Wilkinson of Rhode Island patents a nut & bolt machine Dec 17 1st impeachment trial against a US senator (William Blount, Tennessee) begins Dec 24 Russia & Britain sign Second anti-French Coalition
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Your devotion to a human historical chronology of unsold copies is as intriguing as it is inexplicable. Keep the candle burning. I cannot be sure that the title of your last post correlated with Kid's "dumbfounded" observation; however, if so, I should say that I've achieved a state of counterpoint: I think we have so many nice things - with the promise of so much more to come, and on a clockwork release schedule - that appreciation for each is diminished. This is less a problem than an observation; historically, complaints centered around too few official releases from a prodigious vault, so the current regimen is clearly preferable - especially with regard to previously uncirculated material. Non Sequitur: I was pleased to see some love for Greta Van Fleet elsewhere on the site; in the same category of new music that is 'historically inspired, but not imitation', The Necromancers** seem to have emerged directly from metal's primordial soup with the likes of Sabbath and Heap; had they been around in '70, their DNA would be found in every child of the genre today. **Dreadful name, but this is area has always been problematic for metal and hard rock bands who often seem inclined toward monickers that mirror the intrigues of a pubescent male mind.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Jan 21 1st American novel, WH Brown's "Power of Sympathy" is publishedJan 23 Georgetown, 1st US Catholic college, founded Jan 24 Louis XVI of France issues an edict calling for the convocation of the Estates-General, a major event in the French Revolution Jan 26 John Odell signs contract for £336 to build St Peter's church in the Bronx Feb 1 Chinese troops driven out of Vietnam capital Thang Long Feb 4 1st US electoral college chooses George Washington as President and John Adams as Vice-President Mar 2 Pennsylvania ends prohibition of theatrical performances Mar 4 1st US Congress meets and declares constitution in effect (9 senators, 13 reps) Mar 11 Benjamin Banneker and Pierre Charles L'Enfant begin to lay out Washington, D.C. Apr 1 US House of Representatives 1st full meeting, NYC, F Muhlenberg 1st speaker Apr 6 1st US Congress begins regular sessions, Federal Hall, NYC Apr 8 First meeting of the US House of Representatives Apr 16 George Washington heads for 1st presidential inauguration Apr 21 John Adams sworn in as 1st US VP (9 days before Washington) Apr 23 President-elect George Washington moves into Franklin House, NY Apr 28 Fletcher Christian leads a mutiny on HMS Bounty against its captain William Bligh Apr 30 George Washington is inaugurated as the first President of the United States of America May 5 French Estates-General meets for the first time since 1614 at Versailles, summoned King Louis XVI May 7 First US Presidential inaugural ball (for George Washington in NYC) May 12 Society of St Tammany is formed by Revolutionary War soldiers. It later becomes an infamous group of NYC political bosses May 12 William Wilberforce makes his first major speech on abolition in the UK House of Commons, reasoning the slave trade morally reprehensible and an issue of natural justice Jun 1 1st US congressional act becomes law (on administering oaths) Jun 3 Alex Mackenzie explores Mackenzie River (Canada) Jun 8 James Madison introduces a proposed Bill of Rights in the US House of Representatives Jun 9 Spanish capture British schooner Northwest America near Vancouver Island Jun 13 Mrs Alexander Hamilton serves ice cream for dessert to Washington Jun 14 Capt William Bligh reaches Timor Jun 17 French Revolution: During the meeting of the Estates-General, the Third Estate proclaims itself the 'National Assembly' Jun 20 Tennis Court Oath (for a new constitution) in France made at Versailles Jun 23 French King Louis XVI rejects the demands of the Third Estate, calling itself the National Assembly, during the opening stages of the French Revolution Jun 27 French Revolution: King Louis XVI orders the nobility and clergy of the Estates-General to meet with the Third Estate, by then called the National Assembly Jul 4 1st US tariff act signed by President Washington Jul 6 French Revolution: the National Assembly forms a committee of thirty members to write a new constitution Jul 9 French Revolution: the National Assembly renames itself the National Constituent Assembly Jul 11 French King Louis XVI dismisses finance minister Jacques Necker, sparking riots in Paris Jul 14 Bastille Day - the French Revolution begins with the fall of the Bastille Prison Jul 15 Gilbert du Motier, marquis de La Fayette, is named by acclamation colonel-general of the new National Guard of Paris. Jul 16 French King Louis XVI reinstates Jacques Necker as finance minister following riots at his dismissal Jul 27 US Congress establishes Department of Foreign Affairs now referred to as the State Department Aug 1 US Customs begins enforcing Tariff Act Aug 4 French Revolution: The National Constituent Assembly meets and issues the first decrees that abolish centuries of feudalism in France Aug 7 US Congress creates Department of War & Lighthouse Service Aug 23 French Revolution: The National Assembly proclaims freedom of religious opinions Aug 24 French Revolution: The National Assembly proclaims freedom of speech Aug 26 The National Constituent Assembly adopts the Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen at the beginning of the French Revolution Aug 27 French National Assembly issues "Declaration of Rights of Man & Citizen" Aug 28 William Herschel discovers Saturn's moon Enceladus Sep 2 US Treasury Department established by Congress Sep 11 Alexander Hamilton appointed 1st Secretary of Treasury Sep 13 1st loan to US government (from NYC banks) Sep 15 US Department of Foreign Affairs, renamed Department of State Sep 17 William Herschel discovers Mimas, satellite of Saturn Sep 18 1st loan is made to pay salaries of the presidents & Congress Sep 22 US Congresspasses act requiring the first Postmaster General to report to the President through the Secretary of the Treasury Sep 24 US Congress establishes Post Office Department following the new constitution Sep 24 US Federal Judiciary Act is passed & creates a six-person Supreme Court Sep 24 President George Washington nominates John Jay the 1st Chief Justice Sep 24 US Attorney General Office is created Sep 25 US Congress proposes the Bill of Rights Sep 26 4th US Postmaster General: Samuel Osgood of Mass takes office Sep 26 Thomas Jefferson appointed 1st US Secretary of State; John Jay becomes 1st US Chief Justice Sep 26 Edmund J Randolph becomes 1st US Attorney General Sep 29 US War Dept established a regular army Oct 2 George Washington transmits the proposed Constitutional amendments (The United States Bill of Rights) to the States for ratification Oct 3 Washington proclaims 1st national Thanksgiving Day on Nov 26 Oct 5 French Revolution: Women of Paris march to Versailles in the March on Versailles to confront Louis XVI about his refusal to promulgate the decrees on the abolition of feudalism, demand bread, and have the King and his court moved to Paris Oct 6 French Revolution: Louis XVI returns to Paris from Versailles after being confronted by the Parisian women on 5 October Oct 12 French Revolution: King Louis XVI writes secretly to the King of Spain about complaining of harsh treatment; the Count of Artois writes to the Austrian king requesting military intervention in France Oct 15 1st presidental tour-George Washington in New England Oct 21 French Revolution: The National Assembly declares martial law in France to prevent uprisings Nov 5 Fleeing slaves under Bonni attack military post on Suriname Nov 5 French National Meeting declares all citizens equal under law Nov 6 Pope Pius VI appoints Father John Carroll as the first Catholic bishop in the United States. Nov 8 Bourbon Whiskey 1st distilled from corn by Elijah Craig in Bourbon, Kentucky Nov 13 Ben Franklin writes "Nothing . . . certain but death & taxes" Nov 20 New Jersey is 1st state to ratify Bill of Rights Nov 21 North Carolina ratifies constitution, becomes 12th US state Nov 26 1st national Thanksgiving in America
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

This release is quality.But, so is Hampton 89 and that took years to sell out.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

I want the inventory of this great box set to sell out so Dave can convince the accountants of the powers that be to green-light an Ark Box before we original Dead Freaks lose our hearing or shed our mortal coil (whichever comes first). :-(
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

It's a great set, Kid; but, at this point, I don't think anyone need worry that failure to sell out a box will impede such planned releases into the immediate future. TOO took a bit and RRox is still on the table, but the machine keeps rolling. The Ark run may indeed be a consensus nominee, but I'd love to see Summer '73 or '74 (Jai Alai!). Yet, my 'mortal coil' shouldn't be burned by half yet, so I'll defer if time is of the essence. Movie recommendation: I watch a good deal of film - from mainstream to indie to the local university's student screenings - and rarely have I been so moved by a performance as Sally Hawkins delivers in "Maudie". Nuanced, texturalized, and executed to perfection. Not to mention that, immediately thereafter, I went online and purchased a few of Lewis' prints from the Halifax art museum. How had I never heard of her? Then again, no one around these parts ever mentions Husker Du or Bob Mould's career post Du, and I've felt compelled to inhale the catalogue since discovery 6-8 weeks ago. Amazing stuff./K
user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

Do you think that the general poor sales of this box, which I think is better than the Barton Hall box, is because it demonstrates Keith's limitations and why he was asked to leave 9 months later? People say it's too hot, bad mix, not enough variation in the set lists, but avoid the obvious problem and that is the band was ready to move on and some people didn't want to make the change. Like at another time in the bands history, the core 5 move on and leave the keyboard player to be replaced. This beautiful box documents that period in the band history with uncirculated tapes of a time many choose to ignore.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Jan 6 Massachusetts slaves petition legislature for freedomJan 12 First public museum established in north American colonies (Charlestown, SC) Event of interestEvent of Interest Jan 17 Captain James Cook becomes 1st to cross Antarctic Circle (66° 33' S) Feb 26 Construction authorized for Walnut St jail (Philadelphia) (1st solitary) Mar 12 Jeanne Baptiste Pointe de Sable found settlement now known as Chicago Mar 18 Oliver Goldsmith's "She Stoops to Conquer" premieres in London Apr 27 British Parliament passes Tea Act (Boston won't like this) Jun 17 Cúcuta, Colombia is founded by Juana Rangel de Cuéllar Jul 20 Scottish settlers arrive at Pictou, Nova Scotia (Canada) Jul 21 Pope Clemens XIV bans Jesuits Jul 29 1st schoolhouse west of Allegheny Mtns completed, Schoenbrunn, OH Sep 11 Benjamin Franklin writes "There never was a good war or bad peace" Oct 12 America's first asylum opens for 'Persons of Insane and Disordered Minds' in Virginia Oct 13 The Whirlpool Galaxy was discovered by Charles Messier Oct 14 The first recorded Ministry of Education, the Komisja Edukacji Narodowej (Polish for Commission of National Education), is formed in Poland. Oct 14 American Revolutionary War: The United Kingdom's East India Company tea ships' cargo are burned at Annapolis, Maryland. Nov 5 John Hancock is elected as moderator at a Boston town meeting that resolves that anyone who supports the Tea Act is an "Enemy to America" Dec 16 Boston tea party incident - Sons of Liberty protesters throw tea shipments into Boston harbour in protest against British imposed Tea Act Dec 18 A skirmish at Grass Cove in Queen Charlotte Sound results in the deaths of two Māori and nine members of Cook's expedition, New Zealand Dec 26 Expulsion of tea ships from Philadelphia
user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

Betty Boxes, remain!
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

after a detailed study of your posts, I still don't have a firm grasp on your feelings for this release... Hey Phil & DD. Curious as to what y'all are listening to, Dead or otherwise./K
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Right now I'm going through all the officially released GD concerts in order to titillate my GD sweet spot, starting in 1966. I'm sitting here listening to 2/24/68 King's Bowl Lake Tahoe Dick's Picks 22. I plan to go up to DP4 February 1970. Reliving my teenage years. Before that I listened to Neil Young - Hitchhiker David Crosby - Sky Trail Stills & Collins - Everybody Knows Richard Thompson - Acoustic Classics II and Acoustic Rarities Chris Hillman - Biding My Time Van Morrison - Roll With the Punches Frank Zappa - 6 Halloween 1977 concerts from the USB stick box set And some unofficial full concert 1974 GD soundboards that magically arrived in my mailbox - Oakland Coliseum 6/8, Providence Civic Center 6/26, Boston Garden 6/28 and Springfield Civic Center 6/30
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

I’m trying to come up with the words to extol the virtues of this magnificent Box that contains previously uncirculated shows along with the best sounding versions ever of the Red Rocks shows. Especially 7/7 which previously circulated as a mono recording that had been split into 2 channels. I keep on trying, But I could not get the point across.....
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Seems an apt way of describing these days with multiple personalities twixt Fall and Winter. DD, I have lovely floor to ceiling shelves in my study along the wall behind my desk which house my vinyl & cd collection, and a quick spin-n-survey reveals 19 releases through Bear' Choice (counting the 4 shows in the FW69 box as just one) in addition to the superb and largely underrated sets/shows from March 68, April 69, and January & February 70 through the D/L series. You've got your work cut out! I love the King's Beach Bowl compilation; curiously, I've never seen a breakdown as to which tracks are attributable to which of the 2 shows (out of 3). This information vacuum is an anomaly in these days where we know just about everything about recording specs and the band's equipment for official releases. I dearly wonder what else might be available from that run. Did the usb box come with the costume? With my love of Jazz and improvisational RnR, Zappa would seem a natural fit to my tastes, but try as a I might the music doesn't jibe with me - though the Halloween shows are raved about elsewhere. I don't own any of the other albums you listed, though Hitchhiker seems a likely future buy. It was 28F when puppy & I hit the trailhead at dawn, and likely a bit cooler once we reached altitude, as the wind currents were stronger. My tastes ran to punk (pun not necessarily intended) as I began with Stiff Little Fingers' brilliant debut Inflammable Materials and then began working through Patti's catalogue starting with my favourite Radio Ethiopia, while making it through Easter and most of Prophet before ending. At that point, it was in the upper 40s and I'd stripped 2 layers from the torso in addition to a scarf and gloves. Hope y'all had a similarly beautiful day!
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

I have, and I think HotRats provides an easily digestive entrée for initiates, much like Workingman's & Beauty are often recommended as an effective intro to the Dead. Don't get me wrong, consensus trax like Peaches are attractive - its like a soft blend fusion of jazz, indie, and RnR. Beyond a handful of stuff, though, I find myself straining to attach...and with so much else out there, I don't tarry on mixed material very long. As far as the GD community is concerned, however, you are in an overwhelming majority. Per the little yellow ticket in my box tonight, Dylan is calling from behind the USPS counter, but it'll have to wait til Friday morning as loooong work/run/swim days preclude pick up b4. This evening on the trail it was Beggars Banquet, Let it Bleed, and a couple trax off the first disc of the Exile deluxe set (remastered original album)...I've come to regard that 5-year from Beggars through Soup as a nearly unprecedented sustained studio effort; Some Girls feels like it should've been #6 in the sequence as Black and OnlyRnR simply aren't on the same level. I'm curious to hear about your progress along the early years' official release timeline; I imagine your at, or just past, the vaunted 4 shows that constitute the LiveDead killing grounds! 3/1 is one of my top 5 all-time...even the horrid Jude encore seems a necessary closing reminder that boys are - after all - human, though the preceding hours are enough to suggest otherwise.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

"after a detailed study of your posts, I still don't have a firm grasp on your feelings for this release..." I first read 'posts' as 'penis'.
product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/july-1978-the-complete-recordings.html