• 7/8/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
    Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
    Artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope
    Intro and show-by-show liner notes by Nicholas Meriwether
    Producer's Note by David Lemieux
    Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 15,000
    Release Date: May 13, 2016

Announcing July 1978: The Complete Recordings

We’re pleased to announce JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS, five incredible unreleased shows and the first official release from the long-lost tapes, recently returned to the Grateful Dead’s vault. Follow the Dead on a sonic journey through a superb selection of settings, an often epic adventure that finds them winning over Willie and Waylon fans in Kansas City, conjuring charisma in Omaha, and elevating the Red Rocks beyond their already spiritual planes. With five distinct performances painting the masterpiece of 1978, Betty Cantor-Jackson's always-pristine soundboard recordings, and the "hall-of-fame pedigree" of the Dead's first-ever shows at the legendary Red Rocks Amphitheatre, this is one release that far exceeds excellence in music, sound quality, and rarity.

Limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies, JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS includes Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, MO (7/1/78), St. Paul Civic Center, St. Paul, MN (7/3/78), Omaha Civic Auditorium, Omaha, NE (7/5/78), and Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison CO (7/7/78 and 7/8/78) - all of the performances in this collection are drawn from the band’s master soundboard recordings, each newly mastered by Jeffrey Norman. The set also features original artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope (D.C. and Marvel comics) and in-depth liner notes written by Nick Meriwether (Grateful Dead Archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz), as well as a producer’s note from producer David Lemieux.

Due May 13th, we anticipate that this extraordinary box will sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks right here.

Looking for something a little more byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • cheryleula

Thank You!

• Slow Dog Noodle

just noticed this says sold out. Its about time. I don't know what took so long. This is a fantastic box set.

• eyes43

The first two listening days players are mixed up, on the main page for the July 78 box set. Just thought admin might want to fix that! Peace!

• perithecat

marye , could you have a look at my order number if you can 137400000224478
    ordered on nov 27th and still nothing . any help would be appreciated .

• ecce homo
    Default Avatar
    July 1978: The Complete Recordings delivered today

Hi just an bit of info for people who were in a similar position to me: I ordered the Box Set (as part of a larger order) on 9-21-19, and it arrived today, so a little over 3 months later. I had written CS once (on November 26) and received a reply on December 3 from Warner Music Group Customer Service which read, in part:

Due to a complex warehouse move we now have a significant backlog of both customer inquiries and shipments, and as a result we haven’t been able to deliver at the level that we pride ourselves on.
    For those waiting on their orders, while we wish we could give you an exact estimate as to when your order will ship, we are still awaiting the exact order status details that we urgently want to get to you.
    We are putting 100% of our focus and dedication into a solution to this shipping delay, and are currently working with our warehouse partner to send out outstanding orders.
    We wish we had been able to have communicated this to you sooner, but we had relied on assurances from our warehouse partner that they would be able to quickly resolve the backlog of orders, and they haven’t been able to honor this commitment. We must again apologize for this delay in reaching out to you.
    While it is not our place to be making requests of you, we do hope that you will continue to be patient with us, as we work through these issues and work with our current partner to ship out your order as soon as possible.
    We are genuinely sorry for the delay and inconvenience associated with your order, and we thank you for your patience and understanding to date.

HANG IN THERE FELLOW DEADHEADS!!!!!! AS ALWAYS IT WILL BE WORTH THE WAIT.
    However, I don't see the Box Set currently listed for sale on the Dead's site right now either? My S/N was 091xx of 15000.
    Peace and Happy Hanukkah!

• carlo13

Merry x-mas to you too. Now the july 78 box completely disappeared from the site which makes me nervous. There were still a bunch left too.

• RobbZ

I feel for you, man. I made the mistake of ordering a simple CD (Terrapin Limited--3/15/90) for a Christmas gift some three weeks ago. Alas, it still sits in a "processing" status. Email requests have been answered with the same "robo-response" bullshit. And what makes it even more frustrating is dead.net had absolutely zero problems charging my credit card the day I ordered it...that portion of their logistical process seems to run flawlessly! And by comparison, I ordered other Christmas gifts from the Foo Fighters, Rush, and Pearl Jam websites the same day as my Dead order, and holy shit, like magic, all their merchandise arrived, as ordered, in less than a week.
    This "we're moving our warehouse" excuse has grown pathetic and old...any logistical issues dead.net is having should be transparent to the customer! But allow me to end my complaints with a few suggestions, as I'm the kind of person who won't complain without bringing some solutions to the table....: (1) SHUT DOWN ALL SALES UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO COMPLETE AN ORDER! (2) DO NOT CHARGE THE CUSTOMER UNTIL AFTER A PRODUCT SHIPS!

Merry Christmas All---and Carlo, if you're really Jonesin for those 78 shows, PM me (if it works) I'm sure I have a copy's I could share

• fourwindsblow

It may take a little time be patient.

"Due to a high-volume of email traffic, there will be a delay in response time".

• Kengoesto11

Wish I knew. I was hoping to confirm that the order will be recognized instead of forgotten. So I tried Dr. Rhino and got the same robo-response/apology as regular customer service email. These responses include a reminder that multiple inquiries may further delay an order...so handcuffed, LOL! But I can still play the shamisen and there are far worse things. It's all good.

• carlo13

I also ordered this box 7 weeks ago and still nada. I am waiting patiently because it will eventually ship. I will say it will ship on Dec. 22. What date do you think.

user picture

Member for

17 years 1 month

July 1978: The Complete Recordings

What's Inside:

• Five Complete Shows on 12 discs
• 7/1/78 Arrowhead Stadium: Kansas City, MO
• 7/3/78 St. Paul Civic Center Arena: St. Paul, MN
• 7/5/78 Omaha Civic Auditorium: Omaha, NE
• 7/7/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
• 7/8/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
Artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope
Intro and show-by-show liner notes by Nicholas Meriwether
Producer's Note by David Lemieux
Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 15,000
Release Date: May 13, 2016

Announcing July 1978: The Complete Recordings

We’re pleased to announce JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS, five incredible unreleased shows and the first official release from the long-lost tapes, recently returned to the Grateful Dead’s vault. Follow the Dead on a sonic journey through a superb selection of settings, an often epic adventure that finds them winning over Willie and Waylon fans in Kansas City, conjuring charisma in Omaha, and elevating the Red Rocks beyond their already spiritual planes. With five distinct performances painting the masterpiece of 1978, Betty Cantor-Jackson's always-pristine soundboard recordings, and the "hall-of-fame pedigree" of the Dead's first-ever shows at the legendary Red Rocks Amphitheatre, this is one release that far exceeds excellence in music, sound quality, and rarity.

Limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies, JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS includes Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, MO (7/1/78), St. Paul Civic Center, St. Paul, MN (7/3/78), Omaha Civic Auditorium, Omaha, NE (7/5/78), and Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison CO (7/7/78 and 7/8/78) - all of the performances in this collection are drawn from the band’s master soundboard recordings, each newly mastered by Jeffrey Norman. The set also features original artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope (D.C. and Marvel comics) and in-depth liner notes written by Nick Meriwether (Grateful Dead Archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz), as well as a producer’s note from producer David Lemieux.

Due May 13th, we anticipate that this extraordinary box will sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks right here.

Looking for something a little more byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Ignore the secret affair that Kate and I are having....
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Does Kate know about it?
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

I haven’t told her yet.....Just waiting for the right moment....
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Jan 26 Stanislaw I of Poland abdicates his throneFeb 5 Methodists John & Charles Wesley arrive in Savannah, Georgia Feb 19 George Frideric Handel's "Alexander's Feast" premieres Mar 31 Belleuve Hospital founded in a New York City almshouse - 1st public hospital in the US Apr 20 French mathematician Pierre Louis Maupertuis begins Lapland expedition to measure latitude and shape of the earth, joined by fellow scientists Anders Celsius, Charles Etienne Louis Camus, Alexis Clairaut, and Pierre-Charles Le Monnier May 26 Battle of Ackia (La), British & Chickasaw Indians defeat French Dec 3 Astronomer Anders Celsius takes measurements that confirm Newton's theory that the earth was an ellipsoid rather than the previously accepted sphere
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Jan 10 Charles Farnese becomes Duke of Parma and PiacenzaFeb 2 George Frideric Handel's opera "Poro" premieres in London Mar 16 Treaty of Vienna signed by Prince Eugene of Savoy, Count Sinzendorf and Count Gundacker, Thomas Stahremberg and the British envoy to Vienna, Sir Thomas Robinson. Mar 24 Jerome (aka Hieronimus) de Salis naturalised as British by Act of Parliamentary. Apr 9 British mariner Robert Jenkins' ear cut off by Spanish Guarde Costa in the Caribbean, later catalyst for war between Britain & Spain May 28 All Hebrew books in Papal State are confiscated Jun 24 Freemason and Mayor of Philadelphia William Allen is appointed Provincial Grand Master of Pennsylvania, the first and youngest Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania Jul 22 Spain signs Treaty of Vienna Sep 3 Willem KH Friso installed as viceroy of Friesland Nov 8 In Philadelphia, Benjamin Franklin opens 1st library in the north American colonies Nov 30 Beijing hit by an earthquake; about 100,000 die Dec 22 Dutch people revolt against meat tax Dec 30 1st US music concert (Peter Pelham's great room in Boston)
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Apr 6 Denmark signs Covenant of HannoverMay 7 Jews are expelled from Ukraine by Empress Catherine I of Russia May 29 Peter II becomes Tsar of Russia aged 11 May 31 France, Britain & Netherlands sign accord of Paris Jun 13 Spain underwrites Preliminairy of Paris Jul 17 Simon van Slingelandt appointed Dutch pension advisor Sep 8 A barn fire during a puppet show in the village of Burwell in Cambridgeshire, England kills 78 people, many of whom are children. Oct 21 Russian & Chinese accord to correct boundaries Oct 29 Severe earthquake in New England Nov 12 France & Bavaria renew secret treaty Nov 15 NY General assembly permits Jews to omit phrase "upon the faith of a Christian" from abjuration oath
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Selling about 1 per day.Slow but steady.....
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Jan 4 Netherlands, Great Britain & France sign Triple AllianceJan 5 Prussian King Frederik Willem I buys conscript for nobles Jan 14 German mob leader "Sjako" sentenced to death in Amsterdam Feb 1 Henri d'Aguesseau's 1st appointment as chancellor of France Mar 2 The Loves of Mars and Venus becomes the first ballet performed in England Mar 31 A sermon on "The Nature of the Kingdom of Christ" by Benjamin Hoadly, the Bishop of Bangor, provokes the Bangorian Controversy Jun 24 1st Free Masons' grand lodge founded in London Jul 17 George Frideric Handel's "Water Music" premieres on the river Thames in London Jul 28 Prussian king Frederik Willhelm I gives compulsory education to 5-12 yrs Aug 1 Nicholas Rowe is appointed British Poet Laureate by George I Aug 16 Prince Eugenius of Savoye occupies Belgrade Aug 17 France, Russia & Prussia sign agreement Aug 22 Spanish troops land on Sardinia Nov 28 Blackbeard attacks a French merchant vessel called "La Concorde", which he would capture and rename as the "Queen Anne's Revenge" Dec 5 English pirate Blackbeard ransacks the merchant sloop "Margaret" and keeps her captain, Henry Bostock prisoner for 8 hours before releasing him. Bostock later provides 1st record of Blackbeard's appearance, and the source for his name Dec 25 Floods ravage Dutch coast provinces, thousands killed
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Jan 14 Massachusetts holds day of fasting for wrongly persecuting "witches"Jan 26 Venice, Poland & Austria sign Treaty of Carlowitz with Ottoman Empire Feb 4 350 rebellious Streltsi executed in Moscow Mar 4 Jews are expelled from Lübeck, Germany Apr 14 Khalsa: Birth of Khalsa, the brotherhood of the Sikh religion, in Northern India in accordance with the Nanakshahi calendar Jun 11 England, France & Netherlands agree on 2nd Extermination treaty of Spain Jul 6 Pirate Captain William Kidd is captured in Boston Sep 22 People of Rotterdam strike over high cost of butter Nov 22 Treaty of Preobrasjensku Denmark/Russia/Saksen/Poland divide Sweden Dec 3 Baron Jacob Hop appointed treasurer-general of the Hague Dec 20 Russian Tsar Peter the Great ordered Russian New Year changed from Sept 1 to Jan 1
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

This show needs to go on sale for Holiday Help On The Way.That might help boost some sales.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Jan 6 Joseph I, later Holy Roman Emperor and son of Emperor Leopold I, becomes King of the RomansJan 14 Clarinet invented, in Nurnberg, Germany Jan 22 Iroquois tribes renew allegiance to British against French Feb 8 French and Native American troops set Schenectady settlement New York on fire Feb 8 Lord Halifax resigns as Lord Privy Seal Mar 16 French King Louis XIV sends troops to Ireland May 11 English troops of W Phips conquer Port Royal, Nova Scotia May 20 England passes Act of Grace, forgiving followers of James II Jun 8 Siddi general Yadi Sakat, razes the Mazagon Fort in Mumbai. Jun 11 English king William III departs to Ireland Jun 24 King William III's army lands at Carrickfergus Ireland [OS=June 14] Jun 30 Battle of Beachy Head: French under Tourville beat Dutch/English fleet Jul 1 Army of Protestant King William III defeats deposed Roman Catholic King James II in Battle of Boyne in Ireland Jul 10 Battle of Beachy Head - French fleet defeat Anglo-Dutch fleet under Cornelis Evertsen Jul 11 Battle of Drogheda Boyne (William III beat deposed James II) Jul 12 Battle of Boyne: in Ireland, Protestant King William III defeats English Catholic King James II Aug 1 Battle at Staffarda: French army beats Victor Amadeus of Savoy Aug 24 Job Charnock founds Calcutta India Sep 6 King Wiliam III escapes back to England Sep 25 Publick Occurrences, first newspaper in the American colonies (Boston), publishes first & last edition Oct 7 English attack Quebec under Louis de Buade Oct 8 Siege of Belgrade, Ottoman troops capture Belgrade Oct 23 Revolt in Haarlem after public ban on smoking Dec 10 Massachusetts Bay becomes first American colonial government to issue paper money Dec 23 English astronomer John Flamsteed observes Uranus without realizing it's undiscovered
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Mar 19 Explorer Robert Cavelier de La Salle, searching for the mouth of the Mississippi River, is murdered by his own menApr 4 King James II orders his declaration of indulgence read in English churches Jul 2 King James II disbands English parliament Jul 5 Isaac Newton's great work PRINCIPIA published by Royal Society in England. Outlines his laws of motion and universal gravitation. Aug 12 Charles of Lotharingen defeats Turkish leaders Aug 12 Battle of Mohacs: Ottoman invaders of Hungary routed by forces of Holy Roman Emperor under Charles of Lorraine Sep 26 Acropolis in Athens attacked by Venetian army trying to eject Turks, damaging the Parthenon Sep 26 The city council of Amsterdam votes to support William of Orange's invasion of England, which became the Glorious Revolution. Sep 28 Venetians take Athens from the Turks Oct 11 Hungary accepts Habsburg sovereignty Nov 10 Pope Innocent XI publishes decree Coelestis pastor Dec 31 1st Huguenots depart France to Cape of Good Hope
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Jan 1 Don Carlos de Gurrea/Aragon becomes Spanish land guardian of S NethJan 5 Battle at Turkheim (Colmar): French army beats Brandenburg Jan 8 1st American commercial corporation chartered (NY Fishing Co) Jan 31 Cornelia/Dina Olfaarts found not guilty of witchcraft Feb 21 Prince Willem III appointed viceroy of Gelderland Mar 2 Prince William III installed as governor of Overijssel Mar 4 John Flamsteed appointed 1st Astronomer Royal of England Jun 20 Abenaki, Massachusetts, Mohegan & Wampanoag indians form anti-English front under Metacom Jun 22 Royal Greenwich Observatory established in England by Charles II Jun 25 Battle at Rathenow: Brandenburgers beat Sweden Jun 28 Battle at Fehrbellin: Brandenburg army beats Sweden Aug 6 Russian Tsar Alexis bans foreign hair styles to those below the nobility Aug 10 King Charles II and John Flamsteed lay the foundation stone of the Royal Observatory in Greenwich, London Aug 10 Portuguese-Jewish synagogue opens in Amsterdam Sep 6 Swedish admiral Stenbock sails out with fleet of 66 ships Sep 9 New England colonies declare war on Wampanoag indians Oct 4 Dutch mathematician Christiaan Huygens patents the pocket watch Oct 29 Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz makes the first use of the long s, ∫, for integral, helping discover integral and differential calculus Nov 2 A combined attack by the Plymouth, Rhode Island, Massachusetts Bay and Connecticut colonies attacks the Great Swamp Fort, owned by the Narragansetts during King Philip's War. Nov 4 Storm hits Western Europe: flood in Amsterdam Nov 11 German mathetician Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz demonstrates integral calculus for the first time to find the area under the graph of y = f(x) function Nov 14 Pope Clemens X declares Gorcumse martyrs divine Nov 22 English king Charles II adjourns Parliament
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Jan 6 The Fifth Monarchists unsuccessfully attempt to seize control of LondonJan 30 Oliver Cromwell, Lord Protector of the Commonwealth of England is ritually executed after having been dead for two years Mar 10 French King Louis XIV ends office of premier Apr 23 English king Charles II crowned in London Apr 29 Chinese Ming dynasty occupies Taiwan Apr 30 Tsjeng Tsj'eng-Kung begins siege of Dutch fort Zeelandia, Formosa May 3 Johannes Hevelius observes 3rd transit of Mercury ever to be seen Jun 5 Isaac Newton admitted as a student to Trinity College, Cambridge Jun 21 Treaty of Kardis: Russia & Sweden sign peace treaty Jun 23 Marriage contract for Charles II of England & Catharina of Portugal Jul 3 Portugal gives Tangier & Bombay to English King Charles II Jul 16 1st banknotes in Europe are issued by Bank of Stockholm Jul 27 English Parliament confirms Navigation Act Aug 6 The Treaty of The Hague is signed whereby the Dutch Republic sells New Holland (Brazil) for 63 tonnes of gold to Portugal Sep 5 Nicolas Fouquet, French Superintendent of Finances under Louis XIV arrested; he died in 1680, never having seen freedom again. Oct 1 Yachting begins in England; King Charles II beats his brother James, Duke of York racing from Greenwich to Gravesend Dec 20 Corporation Act enforced in England
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

You must really love that show because you’ve posted the link on every board I’ve visited on this site.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Jan 24 Duke of Orleans joins Fronde rebelsApr 6 Cape Colony, the 1st European settlement in South Africa, established by Dutch East India Company under Jan van Riebeeck Apr 7 Dutch establish settlement at Cape Town, South Africa May 4 Battle of Etampes: French army under Turenne beats Fronde rebels May 10 John Johnson, a free African American, is granted 550 acres in Northampton, Virginia May 13 Ingen Ryuki invited to become the abbot of Sofokuji temple in Nagasaki May 18 Rhode Island enacts 1st law declaring slavery illegal May 19 Spanish troops occupy Grevelingen May 29 Battle of Goodwin Sands, off Folkestone, Kent: English 'General at Sea' Robert Blake drives out Dutch fleet under Lieutenant Admiral Maarten Tromp Jun 10 In Boston, John Hull opens the 1st mint in America Jun 27 New Amsterdam (now New York City) enacts first speed limit law in North America Jul 4 Prince of Condé starts blood bath in Paris Jul 6 Fire on Dutch Dam (Amsterdam's city hall burns) Jul 10 England declares war on The Netherlands - beginning of the 1st Anglo-Dutch war Jul 25 Nikita Minin becomes patriarch of Russian Orthodox Church Aug 26 Battle of Plymouth: General-at-Sea George Ayscue of the Commonwealth of England attacked a convoy of the Dutch Republic commanded by Vice-Commodore Michiel de Ruyter. Dutch victory Sep 7 Battle of Monte Christo: Dutch fleet under J van Galen beat English Sep 16 Spanish troops occupy Dunkirk Sep 28 English-Dutch sea battle at Kentish Knock Oct 13 Prince of Condé flees Paris Oct 21 King Louis XIV returns to Paris Dec 10 Sea battle at Dungeness: lt-admiral Maarten Tromp beats English fleet
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Jan 13 Jan Pieterszoon Coen's fleet sets sail to Moluccas (from Jacarta)Feb 9 Alexander Ludovisi is elected Pope Gregory XV (-1623) Feb 17 Myles Standish is elected as the first commander of the Plymouth Colony Mar 4 Jacarta, Java, renamed Batavia Mar 7 John Pieterszoon Coen's troops land on Lontor, East Indies Mar 16 Native American chief visits colony of Plymouth, Massachusetts Mar 22 Hugo de Grote escapes in bookcase from Loevenstein castle, Neth Apr 5 Mayflower sails from Plymouth on a return trip to England Apr 9 Spain & Netherlands 12 Year Resistant Pact ends Apr 15 Hugo the Great arrives in France May 3 Francis Bacon accused of bribery May 24 The Protestant Union is formally dissolved May 31 Sir Francis Bacon imprisoned in the Tower of London for 1 night Jun 3 Dutch West India Company (WIC) receives charter for The West Indies (The Americas, Caribbean and West Africa) Jun 25 French government army occupies Fort St Jean d'Angély at La Rochelle Jul 6 Dutch governor general John Pieterszoon Coen takes Banda islands, 15,000 die Sep 15 Swedish troops occupy Riga Sep 21 King James I of England gives Sir Alexander Sterling royal charter for colonisation of Nova Scotia Sep 28 Battle at Chocim Dniester: King Sigismund III Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth defeats an invading Ottoman Imperial army Oct 9 Turkey & Poland signs Peace of Chotin Oct 25 Governor Bradford head of the colony of American Plymouth disallows sport on Christmas Day Nov 19 Rabbi Isaiah ben Abraham aha-Levi Horowitz arrives in Israel Dec 13 Emperor Ferdinand II delegates 1st anti-Reformation decree Dec 18 English parliament accept unanimously, Protestation Dec 25 Governor William Bradford of Plymouth Colony (now in Massachusetts) forbids game playing on Christmas Dec 30 English king James I cracks Protestation of Parliament Dec 31 Hungarian King Bethlen Gabor/Ferdinand II sign Treaty of Mikulov
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Feb 20 Trial against Johan van Oldenbarnevelt begins in The Hague for alleged crimes against the federal governmentMar 12 Dutch settlement on Java changes name to Batavia Apr 19 Theatrum Anatomicum opens in Amsterdam May 18 Hugo the Great sentenced to life in prison Jun 2 England and the Netherlands sign treaty about trading in the Indies Jun 10 Thirty Years' War: Battle of Záblatí, a turning point in the Bohemian Revolt Jun 24 Tsar Michail's father Filaret becomes patriarch of Moscow Jul 20 Gerardus Vossius resigns as Dutch regent States college leader Jul 30 House of Burgesses Virginia forms, 1st elective American governing body Aug 8 Duke Maximilian I & Emperor Ferdinand II signs Treaty of Munchen Aug 20 1st known African Americans in English North America (approx. 20) land at Point Comfort (Fort Monroe), Virginia. They are then sold or traded into servitude. Aug 27 Frederik van Palts chosen as King of Bohemia Aug 28 Ferdinand II elected Holy Roman Emperor Sep 15 Prince Bethlen Gabor's troops occupy Pozsony (Pressburg) Hungary Sep 30 Remonstrant Society forms in Antwerp Nov 4 Frederick V crowned king of Bohemia Nov 10 René Descartes has the dream that inspires his "Meditations on First Philosophy" Dec 4 38 colonists from Berkeley Parish, England disembark in Virginia and give thanks to God. Considered by many the first Thanksgiving in the Americas.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Jan 12 Brazilian city Belem (the entrance gate to the Amazon) founded by Captain Major Francisco BrancoJan 24 Dutch mariner Jacob Le Maire discovers Le Maire Strait, Tierra del Fuego Feb 26 Roman Inquisition delivers injunction to Galileo demanding he abandon his belief in heliocentrism Mar 5 Astronomical work 'de Revolutionibus' by Nicolaus Copernicus placed on Catholic Forbidden index Mar 20 Walter Raleigh released from Tower of London to seek gold in Guyana Apr 23 Netherlands buys De Briel/Vlissingen/Fort Rammekens from England Apr 30 King James I of England leaves Brielle May 3 Treaty of Loudun ends French civil war Jul 11 Samuel de Champlain returns to Quebec. Sep 15 First non-aristocratic, free public school in Europe is opened in Frascati, Italy Oct 25 Dutch East India Company ship "The Eendracht" discovers Dirk-Hartog Island, Australia Nov 20 Bishop Richelieu becomes French minister of Foreign affairs/War
user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

If they wanna burn off the last 1,500 or whatever copies, they need to run a late-night TV commercial, something cheese like "Freedom Rock," kind of deal. Should be easy, just take a look at what late night shit is playing that a Dead audience would likely be into. Sets gone in no time... and this box is a treasure.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Aug 18 Pendle Witch trial begins with 10 people accused of witchcraft in Lancaster, England, key witness 9 year-old boyAug 20 9 Pendle witches hanged at Gallows Hill in Lancaster, England Aug 29 Battle of Surat, India: English fleet beats Portuguese Oct 28 Robert Dowland appointed court luitist of King James I Nov 1 (22 October O.S.) Time of Troubles in Russia: Moscow, Kitai-gorod, is captured by Russian troops under command of Dmitry Pozharsky Dec 15 German Astronomer Simon Marius is 1st to observe Andromeda galaxy through a telescope Dec 28 First observation of Neptune - Galileo observes and records a "fixed star" without realising it is a planet
user picture

Member for

16 years 2 months

I bought this set the day it was released and it blows my mind that it's still available. These are shows I always throw on when I can't figure out what to listen to.
user picture

Member for

16 years 2 months

Wow, if I only lived in Dayton, OH...and didn't just get a new roof last fall.
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

THERE CAN'T BE MANY 'VAULT' SETS, REMAINING! THAT IS A MUST, AS WELL!
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Jan 7 Boris Godunov seizes Russian throne on death of Feodor IJan 8 Jews are expelled from Genoa, Italy Jan 12 Pope Clement VIII seizes duchy of Ferrara on death of Alfonso Feb 17 Boris Godunov chosen as Tsar of Russia Feb 21 Boris Godunov crowned Tsar of Russia Mar 20 Governor of Brittany, Philippe Emmanuel the Duke of Mercœur submits to French King Henry IV at Angers Mar 25 Cornelis de Houtman's fleet departs for East-Indies Apr 13 Edict of Nantes grants political rights to French Huguenots Apr 30 1st theater performance in America (Spanish comedy-Rio Grande) May 1 Jacob van Neck's merchant fleet departs for Java May 2 France & Spain sign Peace of Vervins May 6 Archduke Albrecht & Isabella become rulers of the Southern Netherlands Jun 30 King Philip II moves to Escorial palace Jul 10 Spanish theater plays "Moros y Los Cristianos" in Rio Grande Aug 4 London's head office of Hanze closed Aug 21 -22] Deed of Transfers proclaims Netherlands independence Sep 1 Spanish king Philip II receives sacraments Sep 17 Dutch sailors discover island of Mauritius Sep 22 Playwright and poet Ben Jonson is indicted for manslaughter as the result of a duel. Oct 15 Spanish general strategist Bernardino de Mendoza occupies fort Rhine Nov 8 Spanish troops under Bernardino de Mendoza conquer Doetinchem Nov 25 Jacob Cornelius van Neck's merchant fleet reaches Bantam West-Java on second Dutch expedition to Indonesia Dec 16 Seven Year War: Battle of Noryang Point - in the final battle of the war Korean navy decisively defeats the Japanese Dec 21 Battle of Curalaba: the Mapuche people led by Pelentaru revolt and inflict a major defeat on Spanish troops in southern Chile
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Jan 5 William Louis of Nassau becomes governor/viceroy of DrentheJan 27 Vatican opens 7 year trial against scholar Giordano Bruno Mar 1 The Uppsala Synod is summoned to confirm the exact forms of the Lutheran Church of Sweden. Mar 23 English Separatist Puritans John Greenwood and Henry Barrowe tried and sentenced to death on the charge of devising and circulating seditious books Mar 25 Recantation of Loos, Dutch scholar Coinelius Loos recants his earlier written protest against witchcraft persecution in Trier, Germany before officials in Brussels May 18 Playwright Thomas Kyd's accusations of heresy lead to an arrest warrant for Christopher Marlowe Jun 22 Battle of Sisak: Allied Christian troops defeat the Turks Jun 28 Earl Mauritius conquers Geertruidenberg Jul 25 France's Protestant King Henry IV converts to Roman Catholic faith Oct 24 Alleged teleportation of Spanish soldier Gil Perez from the Philippines to Mexico Dec 15 State of Holland grants patent on windmill with a crankshaft Dec 24 Storm hits Texel: 40 ships hit, 500 killed
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Jan 1 1st day of the Gregorian calendar in Holland & FlandersJan 12 Holland begins use of Gregorian calendar (yesterday was 1/1/1583) Feb 21 Groningen, Netherlands, begins using Gregorian calendar Mar 18 Dutch States General & Anjou sign treaty Jun 17 Brabant: Duke of Parma beats French mercenaries Jun 18 Richard Martin of London takes out first life insurance policy, on William Gibbons; premium was £383 Jun 28 Duke Frans de Valois returns to France Jul 17 Spanish and Walloon troops conquer Dunkerk Aug 5 Humphrey Gilbert claims Newfoundland for the British crown - first English colony in North America and the beginning of the British Empire Nov 15 Gelders Earl Willem of the Bergh flees Nov 20 Duke of Parma conquers Aalst
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I took my boys skiing for spring break... a HS Grad present for son & friend...Listened to the Red Rocks show..7/8/78 on the flight to EAGLE Airprt and caught, for the first time ever, I heard (Phil?) Shhhh somebody at the 4:20 min of Warft Rat!! LOL... I replayed it so many times laughing to myself.... funny CO moment! GREAT Show! Enjoy the weekend, iGrateful
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I took my boys skiing for spring break... a HS Grad present for son & friend...Listened to the Red Rocks show..7/8/78 on the flight to EAGLE Airprt and caught, for the first time ever, I heard (Phil?) Shhhh somebody at the 4:20 min of Warft Rat!! LOL... I replayed it so many times laughing to myself.... funny CO moment! GREAT Show! Enjoy the weekend, iGrateful
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Mar 11 Geuzen army leaves Walcheren to return to OosterweelMar 13 Battle at Oosterweel: Spanish troops destroy Geuzenleger Apr 11 Dutch prince William of Orange flees from Antwerp to Breda Jun 15 Battle at Carberry, Scotland: Protestant troops beat Earl Bothwell's army Jun 15 Republic of Genoa expels Jews from its whole territory Jun 16 Mary, Queen of Scots, imprisoned in Lochleven Castle prison, Scotland Jun 20 Jews are expelled from Brazil by order of regent Don Henrique Jul 24 Mary Queen of Scots is forced to abdicate; her 1-year-old son becomes King James VI of Scots Jul 25 Don Diego de Losada founds the city of Santiago de Leon de Caracas, modern-day Caracas, the capital city of Venezuela Jul 29 James VI is crowned King of Scots at Stirling Aug 8 Duke of Alva's army enters Brussels, Belgium Sep 9 Lomaraal van Egmond & Philip van Hoorne captured Sep 29 War of Religion breaks out in France - Huguenots try to kidnap King Charles IX Sep 29 At a dinner, the Duke of Alba arrests the Count of Egmont and the Count of Hoorn for treason Oct 6 Duke of Alva becomes land guardian of Netherlands Nov 10 Battle at St-Denis: French government army vs Huguenots
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

We’re approaching the 2 year anniversary since the release date. Listened to the St. Paul show recently, very nice.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Jan 10 1st sitting of "Vurige Chamber" in ParisFeb 2 Edward Seymour, Duke of Somerset, freed Feb 7 Giovanni Maria del Monte elected Pope Julius III Mar 24 France & England sign Peace of Boulogne Apr 2 Jewish physician Joseph Hacohen expelled from city of Genoa, all Jews soon after Apr 28 Powers of Dutch inquisition extends Apr 29 Emperor Charles V gives inquisiters additional authority Jul 7 Traditional date Chocolate thought to have been introduced to Europe Sep 5 William Cecil appoints himself English minister of foreign affairs Oct 5 Foundation of the city of Concepción, Chile. Nov 14 Pope Julius III proclaims new seat on Council of Trente
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 5 months

I ordered my July '78 box last week and can't wait for it to arrive! Here I am ordering it two years after it's release and much to my delight, there are still copies available. Isn't this how music should be anyway? I read the posts on these forums and see that new fans are turned onto the Dead all the time. Then, their dismay when they find that so many fantastic shows are out of reach. Why? Because Rhino thinks virtually every release should be limited then gone forever. Sorry but, in my opinion, that's not how music and band legacies get handed down and preserved. Just my opinion here. Honestly, I love the idea of being able to purchase a release from ANY band as my tastes drive me toward them. Personally I don't care if a show I purchase has a number assigned to it or not. The music is what matters. If Rhino came to understand this with a bit more clarity, you'd see less releases in the hands of ebay-ers and more at the ears of fans.
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

I think they are a bit irritating. They surely attract people who are more into collecting than they are into listening to music. Also, there is the fact that people are just going to buy cds or records as investments, or to rip people off who are genuinely interested by snaffling them up as soon as they are released, only to sell on at inflated prices when they are no longer available through legitimate channels.
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

I also like the live albums form this era-especially Brussels Affair from 1973, the one from the American tour 1972, the Roundhouse London on the bonus disc of Sticky Fingers from 1971 and of course Get Yer Ya Ya's Out. The only real clunker is Hyde Park 1969, which is as bad as the others are good
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 6 months

Pulled the trigger on this one. Been on the verge for weeks but couldn't justify it. Just saw Phil at Red Rocks so that pushed me over the edge. I figure the 89 mini box will be easier to fit in to the budget if it starts to get dangerously low and I didn't want to miss this one. Planning to jump on something like a Summer 73 box if that materializes in the near future...
product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/july-1978-the-complete-recordings.html