• 7/8/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
    Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
    Artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope
    Intro and show-by-show liner notes by Nicholas Meriwether
    Producer's Note by David Lemieux
    Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 15,000
    Release Date: May 13, 2016

Announcing July 1978: The Complete Recordings

We’re pleased to announce JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS, five incredible unreleased shows and the first official release from the long-lost tapes, recently returned to the Grateful Dead’s vault. Follow the Dead on a sonic journey through a superb selection of settings, an often epic adventure that finds them winning over Willie and Waylon fans in Kansas City, conjuring charisma in Omaha, and elevating the Red Rocks beyond their already spiritual planes. With five distinct performances painting the masterpiece of 1978, Betty Cantor-Jackson's always-pristine soundboard recordings, and the "hall-of-fame pedigree" of the Dead's first-ever shows at the legendary Red Rocks Amphitheatre, this is one release that far exceeds excellence in music, sound quality, and rarity.

Limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies, JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS includes Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, MO (7/1/78), St. Paul Civic Center, St. Paul, MN (7/3/78), Omaha Civic Auditorium, Omaha, NE (7/5/78), and Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison CO (7/7/78 and 7/8/78) - all of the performances in this collection are drawn from the band’s master soundboard recordings, each newly mastered by Jeffrey Norman. The set also features original artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope (D.C. and Marvel comics) and in-depth liner notes written by Nick Meriwether (Grateful Dead Archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz), as well as a producer’s note from producer David Lemieux.

Due May 13th, we anticipate that this extraordinary box will sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks right here.

Looking for something a little more byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • cheryleula

Thank You!

• Slow Dog Noodle

just noticed this says sold out. Its about time. I don't know what took so long. This is a fantastic box set.

• eyes43

The first two listening days players are mixed up, on the main page for the July 78 box set. Just thought admin might want to fix that! Peace!

• perithecat

marye , could you have a look at my order number if you can 137400000224478
    ordered on nov 27th and still nothing . any help would be appreciated .

• ecce homo
    Default Avatar
    July 1978: The Complete Recordings delivered today

Hi just an bit of info for people who were in a similar position to me: I ordered the Box Set (as part of a larger order) on 9-21-19, and it arrived today, so a little over 3 months later. I had written CS once (on November 26) and received a reply on December 3 from Warner Music Group Customer Service which read, in part:

Due to a complex warehouse move we now have a significant backlog of both customer inquiries and shipments, and as a result we haven’t been able to deliver at the level that we pride ourselves on.
    For those waiting on their orders, while we wish we could give you an exact estimate as to when your order will ship, we are still awaiting the exact order status details that we urgently want to get to you.
    We are putting 100% of our focus and dedication into a solution to this shipping delay, and are currently working with our warehouse partner to send out outstanding orders.
    We wish we had been able to have communicated this to you sooner, but we had relied on assurances from our warehouse partner that they would be able to quickly resolve the backlog of orders, and they haven’t been able to honor this commitment. We must again apologize for this delay in reaching out to you.
    While it is not our place to be making requests of you, we do hope that you will continue to be patient with us, as we work through these issues and work with our current partner to ship out your order as soon as possible.
    We are genuinely sorry for the delay and inconvenience associated with your order, and we thank you for your patience and understanding to date.

HANG IN THERE FELLOW DEADHEADS!!!!!! AS ALWAYS IT WILL BE WORTH THE WAIT.
    However, I don't see the Box Set currently listed for sale on the Dead's site right now either? My S/N was 091xx of 15000.
    Peace and Happy Hanukkah!

• carlo13

Merry x-mas to you too. Now the july 78 box completely disappeared from the site which makes me nervous. There were still a bunch left too.

• RobbZ

I feel for you, man. I made the mistake of ordering a simple CD (Terrapin Limited--3/15/90) for a Christmas gift some three weeks ago. Alas, it still sits in a "processing" status. Email requests have been answered with the same "robo-response" bullshit. And what makes it even more frustrating is dead.net had absolutely zero problems charging my credit card the day I ordered it...that portion of their logistical process seems to run flawlessly! And by comparison, I ordered other Christmas gifts from the Foo Fighters, Rush, and Pearl Jam websites the same day as my Dead order, and holy shit, like magic, all their merchandise arrived, as ordered, in less than a week.
    This "we're moving our warehouse" excuse has grown pathetic and old...any logistical issues dead.net is having should be transparent to the customer! But allow me to end my complaints with a few suggestions, as I'm the kind of person who won't complain without bringing some solutions to the table....: (1) SHUT DOWN ALL SALES UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO COMPLETE AN ORDER! (2) DO NOT CHARGE THE CUSTOMER UNTIL AFTER A PRODUCT SHIPS!

Merry Christmas All---and Carlo, if you're really Jonesin for those 78 shows, PM me (if it works) I'm sure I have a copy's I could share

• fourwindsblow

It may take a little time be patient.

"Due to a high-volume of email traffic, there will be a delay in response time".

• Kengoesto11

Wish I knew. I was hoping to confirm that the order will be recognized instead of forgotten. So I tried Dr. Rhino and got the same robo-response/apology as regular customer service email. These responses include a reminder that multiple inquiries may further delay an order...so handcuffed, LOL! But I can still play the shamisen and there are far worse things. It's all good.

• carlo13

I also ordered this box 7 weeks ago and still nada. I am waiting patiently because it will eventually ship. I will say it will ship on Dec. 22. What date do you think.

user picture

Member for

17 years 1 month

July 1978: The Complete Recordings

What's Inside:

• Five Complete Shows on 12 discs
• 7/1/78 Arrowhead Stadium: Kansas City, MO
• 7/3/78 St. Paul Civic Center Arena: St. Paul, MN
• 7/5/78 Omaha Civic Auditorium: Omaha, NE
• 7/7/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
• 7/8/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
Artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope
Intro and show-by-show liner notes by Nicholas Meriwether
Producer's Note by David Lemieux
Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 15,000
Release Date: May 13, 2016

Announcing July 1978: The Complete Recordings

We’re pleased to announce JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS, five incredible unreleased shows and the first official release from the long-lost tapes, recently returned to the Grateful Dead’s vault. Follow the Dead on a sonic journey through a superb selection of settings, an often epic adventure that finds them winning over Willie and Waylon fans in Kansas City, conjuring charisma in Omaha, and elevating the Red Rocks beyond their already spiritual planes. With five distinct performances painting the masterpiece of 1978, Betty Cantor-Jackson's always-pristine soundboard recordings, and the "hall-of-fame pedigree" of the Dead's first-ever shows at the legendary Red Rocks Amphitheatre, this is one release that far exceeds excellence in music, sound quality, and rarity.

Limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies, JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS includes Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, MO (7/1/78), St. Paul Civic Center, St. Paul, MN (7/3/78), Omaha Civic Auditorium, Omaha, NE (7/5/78), and Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison CO (7/7/78 and 7/8/78) - all of the performances in this collection are drawn from the band’s master soundboard recordings, each newly mastered by Jeffrey Norman. The set also features original artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope (D.C. and Marvel comics) and in-depth liner notes written by Nick Meriwether (Grateful Dead Archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz), as well as a producer’s note from producer David Lemieux.

Due May 13th, we anticipate that this extraordinary box will sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks right here.

Looking for something a little more byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Finally listened to most of it. Very nice collection. The first three shows sound MUCH, MUCH better than what I had in stock from the archive, very glad to have these replacements. Now release the balance of shows from 1975 and I can cross 75 off the list,,, that be a nice little box set to finish out the year :-)
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

it is a tremendous release. it demonstrates why older GD is preferred by so many. The (relative) formlessness. Show opener: China>Rider>Black Peter, then Yellow Dog Story (yellowest dog story ever told), then HTH. It arrived on Jerry's birthday. I heard disc 1; relistening as I write. Thank you David Lemieux, and God bless the Grateful Dead
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 6 months

I can't help but hope/pray/speculate that the next box set will celebrate the 40th anniversary of 1977 spring tour....possibly from the same batch of the 'return' tapes that Dave teased us with in the video. Cliché choice...but May 5-9, 1977!!
user picture

Member for

15 years

Here's hoping that 1991 would be considered for a box set. I'd love to see Sandstone show released, the "Dark Starred" Meadowlands show, 9/26/91, something from MSG 91 etc.
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

went to Silver Platters (independent record stores) on my way out saw a 2016 Rhino calendar for free picked it up took it home some nice artwork cover art for Ramones and Velvet Underground Loaded and Doors some nice GD images other cool things :)))
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 4 months

Like the idea of those 4/69 Ark shows and 5/5 through 5/9/77. How about a Greek Theatre box set...1968 to 1989 throwing out ideas; A box set of all the special guests, who have joined them. all though not a big fan of compilation releases. How about more DVD's/Bluerays. 7/2/88, 6/23/88 6/28/88 6/17/91, sadly most video is from the screens at the bigger stadiums is all that is in the vault. Just happy to get any releases.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

why is this so difficult
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

This and many other threads deserve much more R.E.S.P.E.C.T. Unfortunately, it seems the spammers drive people away. That and the inclination of most to hover around where the action is, the DaP threads most times...
user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

I'm glad there are some still in stock to be available to those who might want to purchase later. I hope enough were sold to justify continuing to release small and medium size boxes. Perhaps between the 30 trips crate and the Dave's subscriptions, folks didn't feel the need to pick this one up. I like mine, but am still digesting the 30 trips as well. I am a bit surprised that this hasn't sold out yet though. as far as threads, it seems that the most busy conversations take place on the most recent product's page, so Dave's Picks usually.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

..anyone home? The lights are on, any beer is in the fridge? Excellent Box Set. As for the spammers, I traded my FW 69 Box for a bridge from one of them, a great deal.. I expect my deposit check returned any day now. A polite chap, his uncle is the recently deceased king of Nigeria. The other one is trying to hook me up with his hot Russian sister. Oh, happy day.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 5 months

My friend came over to load my 78 box on to his laptop. He loves the band and is getting into them more and more. I told him when I brought out this killer box...be careful man, this set will ruin your ass as far as wanting to listen to any other year/tour!! :)
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I can't get enough of it either. I revisited St. Paul and Omaha today. I still can't believe they got the tapes back. But we're happy campers, aren't we?
user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

After listening to this July 1978 box several times, I dove into "The Closing Of Winterland" 4CD/2DVD set 2 times recently. WOW! I REALLY got it right this time around! Is this the best show of 1978? NO! no way, but this July 1978 box really admitted me to this show, these shows were a ticket into this show. However, May 10 & 11, 1978, better known as Dick's Picks 25 aren't as powerful as the Red Rocks shows in this box, and currently don't do too much for me. Maybe sometime later ;-) I really do like the artwork and packaging of this release. A should have box.
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

Yep.. Finally took the plunge on this one and got it about a week and a half ago. There are high points here for sure, but... For example, I like pretty much every moment of every show from the May '77 box. This one... hit or miss for me. Glad I got it though. I think Omaha was the one mind-blower in this set for me.
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

YES, AWESOME!!!!! Smokin' Scarlet/Fire and that's just to get things started. And complete video.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Is it the best of '78? Well, let's put it this way - if I could I only pick one show from 1978, I would have a hard time not picking this one. The multi-track sound quality is impeccable - you can hear everyone like they were meant to be heard, at volumes they were meant to be heard at; the performances are spot-on; there are incredible versions of rarely played post-hiatus Godchaux era songs, like Stagger Lee, From the Heart of Me, I Need a Miracle, and Dark Star; the rest of the songs are hot performances, and Jerry and Phil are just on fire all night - Jerry's playing is probably the most pleasant I've heard him play throughout a '78 show. I would definitely classify this as a great post-hiatus show, and one of the best'78 releases. Dick's Picks 18 is incredible too of course, as is Red Rocks 7/8 and Dave's Picks 15. So to me, those are the choices for hottest '78 shows, and since this is an academic discussion anyway, we'll just pretend DP 18 is one show, and not the best of 3. Now if I consider these four releases, and I could only have one...and I still have everything else from '76 and '77....I think I'd have to choose the Closing of Winterland. Of course DP 18 has a LOT of different songs that aren't on here, and I'd miss my DP 18 Wheel and Estimated Prophet (not to mention Music Never Stopped and The Other One). Oh fuck it, I don't need to really make this decision. The point is it's both great and necessary. Hell, they play the intro to Scarlet Begonias a full minute before the first verse - they savored a lot of moments like this throughout. Edit - just listened this all the way through at work and wanted to add the Good Lovin' as a highlight, due to the extended "got to have Love" chorus, which I've never heard them do on any other version. Very nice!
user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

Get off these boards you fucking assholes.
user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

kakalot, Blackmagic1 obat batu empedu YOU ARE IN VIOLATION OF THE LAW. PLEASE OBSERVE THE LAW ON BLOG / MESSAGE BOARD SPAM. Each separate message board / blog posting in violation of the BLOG-SPAM Act or EMAIL-SPAM Act is subject to penalties of up to $50,000, so non-compliance can be costly. But following the law isn’t complicated. Here’s a rundown of main requirements: Do not post blog / spam messages on public websites who clearly prohibit it in their Terms & Conditions. Don’t use false or misleading header information. Your name and email address must be accurate and identify the person or business who initiated the message. Don’t use deceptive subject lines. The subject line must accurately reflect the content of the message. Tell the public where you’re located. Your message must include your valid physical postal address. This can be your current street address, a post office box you’ve registered with the U.S. Postal Service, or a private mailbox you’ve registered with a commercial mail receiving agency established under Postal Service regulations. Tell message board sites how to opt out of receiving future BLOG-SPAM from you. Your message must include a clear and conspicuous explanation of how the recipient can opt out of getting email from you in the future. Craft the notice in a way that’s easy for an ordinary person to recognize, read, and understand. You must include the option to stop all commercial messages from you. Honor opt-out requests promptly. Any opt-out mechanism you offer must be able to process opt-out requests for at least 30 days after you send your message. You must honor a blog site's opt-out request within 10 business days. You can’t charge a fee, require the recipient to give you any personally identifying information beyond an email address, or make the recipient take any step other than sending a reply email or visiting a single page on an Internet website as a condition for honoring an opt-out request. Once people have told you they don’t want to receive more advertising / spam blog messages from you, you can’t sell or transfer their email addresses, even in the form of a mailing list. Monitor what others are doing on your behalf. The law makes clear that even if you hire another company to handle your marketing, you can’t contract away your legal responsibility to comply with the law. Both the company whose product is promoted in the message and the company that actually sends the message may be held legally responsible. MAXIMUM FINE IS $50,000 ###### YOU ARE IDENTIFIABLE TO WEBMASTERS BY YOUR IP ADDRESS ######
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

"In the college"Is that the same college printed on the front of Senator Blutarsky's sweatshirt?
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

You have a post offfice box collection of movie reviews?
user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

Wow good stuff
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

someone mentioned video. I don't see any mention of 1978 video? I'll keep digging. Anyine??
user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

This is the first time I've posted anything so here goes... I decided to treat myself to one of July 1978 Complete Recordings CD Box Set from the Dead.Net store. It arrived safely to my address here in the UK & was well packaged to avoid damage. However when I inspected the CD's I found that CD1 from July 5 Omaha Civic Auditorium was missing. Instead there was a duplicate of CD2. I emailed customer services twice in the last couple of weeks about the problem with a photo attached of the missing/duplicate CD but haven't received a reply yet. How long does it normally take for customer service to reply? If anyone can give me any advise then it would be greatly appreciated. As there doesn't seem to be much activity here anymore I will post this somewhere else on the website as well. Thank you.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 3 months

It says the digital download isn't available. Any idea when it would be available again? Thanks, Steve, Founder, DSLR Buying Guide
user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

I would just like to give a BIG thank you to marye & the customer service/Rhino team for sorting out & sending me a replacement disc after I found out that I had a duplicate disc in the box set by mistake. I'm really glad that I bought one of the box sets from the store while it is still available. Happy days!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 3 months

This has been an issue for me as well-both on this and the May 77 box. I want to spend money here. Please help!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 2 months

So what's the status here? Will it actually be coming back digitally as I truly no longer own a CD player. I'm probably not alone here... Thanks!
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

Mine just arrived in the UK, ordered on jan 1st. Looks great. It's no. 14318, so for anybody still wondering whether to get it, now might be a good time to take the plunge.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 5 months

The best service is dealing directly with Rhino (Drrhino@rhino.com, I believe). If you give them your order # and describe the issue, they will help. I have found them to be much more responsive ( often the same day) than contacting dead.net. They helped with bad digital files, and even got me a replacement disc for the May 1977 box that had been out of print for a couple of years. Good folks.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 7 months

It's a crime that this box isn't sold out yet. The shows are all great and the sound is some of the best I've heard from the recent live releases. I had to hit up drrhino@rhino.com for some bad discs I got in the 50 Trips box. They sent me replacement discs quickly. That's definitely the way to go.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

to it's 'home stretch' and sell out so they can offer the digital download(s). I can still remember that fabled summer of 1978, when the Dead did actually did circle back to Nebraska......... They played the Omaha Civic Auditorium (in Nebraska), where the Dead played once before in 1973.. We got there and the venue was half full (about 4,000) but everyone was chomping at the bit in anticipation to hear them live. I took my Nak 550 into the venue and there was no hassle getting the deck in this time, but remember these were the days before ‘tapers sections’. And each venue or even staff may present a different challenge. But not here, thank goodness. Out in the hallway, the Hell’s Angels wandered about sporting full colors and big grins. They may have been transporting ‘party favors’ and decided to take in a show. Or maybe the Angels were just road tripping with the band (although I didn't see them at the next few shows). My buddy even brought his 68 year old mother to the show. She sat up in the stands “It is just too loud down there!” Anyway, I headed down to the floor with my Nak 550 to set up in front of the soundboard. When I started to get my gear set up and saw this guy beside me with a great rig. Luckily this kind stranger (I have since discovered he was famous taper Bob Wagner) then let me patch out of the back of his deck, which was wonderful as he had a great 8 ft. tall mike stand set-up. He had a Sony deck and mics, but with that high stand his mic’s were well above the crowd noise. We were about 15 to 20 feet in FOB. So Garcia treated us to a blistering Sugaree opener, the kind that drove the crowd wild. His leads mounted into a wave that crests, recedes, regroups, and comes back rolling in with such power and delight that adds a synergistic effect to our frenzied response as his rolling/soaring guitar work lift and subside with the band. Then Beat In on Down the Line, TLEO and now it was Bob’s turn in the spotlight with a Look’s like Rain. About halfway through the song, I suddenly noticed something shimmering in the air between the band and me. I thought “what a fantastic light show! Or have I have shifted into fifth gear just a little early that I scheduled?” I staggered towards that disturbance in front of me to investigate. People were dancing wildly in the middle of the floor as a waterfall played over them. It was about 25 feet in circumference. I put my hand in, water…hand out, no rain..I am standing in front of an indoor waterfall. what to do? I jumped into pouring rain that was INSIDE the middle of the auditorium! Then I stepped back and was out of it. I shook my head and then lunged back into the deluge and danced through Looks Like Rain & then during Direwolf as well and a delightful All Over now. (Complete with Donna in perfect pitch!) Then Candyman and Lazy>Supplication before Bobby informed us “We’re going to take a short break”. I staggered back to reload a new tape and then I did look for some validation of my experience. And I asked my friends if I was not in fact ‘soaking wet’ as I patted my soaked shirt. They grinned knowingly and affirmed that, yes, in fact I was “all wet”. And then this unique show continued, (nice indoor water-feature, boys !) with a killer second set complete with a transportive Estimated> Eyes> drums> Wharf Rat> Truckin> Iko Iko> Around. And then after a lengthy absence from the stage the boys returned to play us ‘Promised Land” as an encore. As I left the auditorium I noticed the water standing on the ground outside, a summer storm? Was this a case of a leaky roof or didn't the Dead just conjure up the forces of nature as they were so prone to do? But back to the important stuff, what were the Dead going to do next? Would Phil rev up his reverse gravity machine and pummel us with Phil-bombs at the next show? Would they levitate the crowd, and have us all dance while floating in the 'cool Colorado range'? I HAD to follow them to those Red Rocks shows in 1978. So a road-trip to Colorado it was. This was the Dead’s first Red Rocks jaunt (and my first as well, although my girlfriend (now wife) had seen Joni Mitchell there previously and raved about the venue) so my anticipation was so ‘high’. (In many ways.) So I packed my taping and camping gear and off we went. When we walked up to the Rocks entrance, the Feyline security crew (or were they the John Scher guys?) were stopping people and inspecting any 'carry in' bags. A security behemoth that I will call “BigBoy’ stopped me at the entrance to look through my Boy Scout backpack. He hefted my NAK 550 out of the pack and held it aloft with one beefy paw, exclaiming “Hey, you can’t take this in!” I gave him my best perplexed look and said “What? It’s just a tape player.” (first lie) Then the giant BigBoy instructs me to “take that back to your car”. I retorted “I can’t, I hitchhiked to the show” (second lie). Beefy Bruiser BigBoy points to my ticket and says “the ticket says no recorders on it, you can't take it in” and I tell him “look, I don’t have any microphones” (third lie) and hold up my arms to be searched (of course my comrades had the mics with them). Then I sighed loudly and popped open the back of the Nak deck and let eight D cell batteries drop onto the ground. “Look, I dumped out the batteries, it can't record”. (lie number four) BigBoy stood there with his arms crossed in front of me, but I could see a small crack in his resolve. So I pulled that thread “Look, I hitchhiked all the way here from Nebraska to see this show, would you hold onto this deck for me? It cost me $600 (which in ’78 was a lot of dough) but if you just hold it for me, and then I will find you after the show. You look like an honest guy.” (fifth lie, this guy didn't look trustworthy). I push the Nak towards him, and this deck is huge and weighs a ton, (a goddamn boat anchor). I really played my trump card here and was trying to hold my ‘gameface’, Suddenly all the heads waiting in line behind (and all my friends) erupt with yells at the BigBoy to 'hurry up' and started chanting “let us in”. BigBoy gives his mullet a shake and then he points into the venue and looks at me and exclaims “Go on, get out of here” and I dive headlong into my first Red Rocks show with a grin a mile wide(high)! Followed by Mary with my mics and my buddies with my fresh batteries (re: lie number four) and my blank tapes. The batteries that I dumped out for BigBoy were already ‘dead’ (pun intended). I again ran into that ‘kind stranger’ (Dr. Bob Wagner, FOB right side)) to plug out of his Sony again. Those two shows were stupefying, and the band obviously enjoyed playing there. Bobby's deer joke, and I remember Phil leading the boys through “Cold Rain & Snow” with his bass punching that tune into a triumphant ‘strut’ that evening.I recall Jerry broke a string during the Scarlet>Fire, which really didn't slow the pace of that perfect evening. On into Dancin' >NFA > Black Peter > Around & Around and then a dual encore of US Blues & Johnny B Goode. The next night was much the same. Each night we would watch the clouds chase each other in the sky as the band serenaded us. Until it became dark and then we looked out ‘over’ the Dead to see the distant lights of Denver sparking in the background. Second night second half, we were treated to a tremendous Estimated > Other One> Eyes of the World > drums> Wharf Rat > Franklin's Tower > Sugar Mag. The crowd was especially raucous as Wharf Rat wound down to that tender quiet poignant pause, and then Phil (or was it Bobby) gave a "shhhhh" to quiet us in preparation for the wonderful 'launching' platform/crescendo that night..."I'll get up and fly away" and the band soared with all of us in tow. Those evenings the Dead's aural wonders were matched with the Red Rocks astounding visuals as we were perched in between those massive stony slabs jutting into the sky (and the Dead had a good view as well looking back at us from the stage). As the Dead those two evenings took us all on an astounding journey of Americana, myth, rock and roll, country, space, jam, fable, fun, roller coaster, and turn on a dime delights, it all 'rolled into one'. And then as the Dead finished us all off with “Werewolves of London” we were all crooning back to the dead with our own howl of “Aoooooo”. And Garcia was grinning ear to ear as he bid us all a “good night”. Teachers open the door, but you must enter by yourself.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 2 months

You sold me on it! I just bought it!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 8 months

they havnt gotten all the bugs worked out. Seriously. And to be perfectly honest i dont ever see them fixing it.I dont think you can get any digital downloads right now of anything on the site. Its a JOKE that this site functions as poorly as it does. Plenty of bands that dont earn nearly the money that GDM pulls in have FAR superior sites. Streaming live shows for free, instant downloads, downloads of their entire catalogs, apps that work with their live catalogs, subscription services. Im happy with what i get, but they could be doing so much more.
user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

I'm not sure why this didn't sell out either. I'm digging in to the St. Paul show now, for the third time. Stella Blue just gets me every time throughout the years. I'm sitting here with tears in my breakfast.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

it appears Rhino knows the customer base well when setting the numbers on these "limited editions".
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 2 months

Just got this the other day. Listening to the kc show currently and it is really really good
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Beat it spammer
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 1 month

Lucky enough to finally order a copy of this. Can't believe it's almost been a year and this hasn't sold out yet. Got in quick for the Get shown the light box pre-order. May is going to be a excellent month to dance in the streets
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 2 months

My guess is because 1977 was the last great year for the Dead. But I haven't heard this set yet, so it's just my sense of it.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 8 months

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/july-1978-the-complete-recordings.html