• 4,023 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    May 1977: Get Shown The Light (All Music Edition)

WHAT'S INSIDE:
    Four Complete Shows on 11 discs
    Four folios housed in a slipcase
    5/5/77 Veterans Memorial Coliseum: New Haven, CT
    5/7/77 Boston Garden: Boston, MA
    5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY
    5/9/77 Buffalo Memorial Auditorium: Buffalo, NY
    50-page book of liners and photographs
    Sourced from the Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings, transferred by Plangent Processes
    Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
    Artwork by Grammy-winning graphic artist Masaki Koike
    Release Date: May 5, 2017

WHAT DEAD HEADS HAVE BEEN SAYING ABOUT...

NEW HAVEN 5/5/77
    "Here is a prime example of the saying ‘the whole is greater than the sum of the parts’ … It’s called synergy and the Dead wrote the book on it.”

BOSTON 5/7/77
    “The music they laid down brought me places I had not been before.”

CORNELL 5/8/77
    “...the single best rock performance anywhere, anytime, by anyone.”

“There was just some kind of magical connection this night between the band members and the band and the audience - some texture, or some type of cosmic or celestial force is in the room.”

"This show is, was, and always will be Mecca.”

BUFFALO 5/9/77
    "...an awesome display of the Dead’s captivating power"

If you've been following this site for quite some time, then you will know we are often flush with hyperbole when it comes to our releases. We can't help it, really - for we, like you, are Grateful Dead fans above all else. Just like you, we've spent countless hours debating the merits of show over show, year over year. We've kept a watchful eye on your wish-lists and carefully considered how to make - excuse the cliché - your dreams come true. And once we've made our commitments, we are steadfast in our determination to conjure up those dreams fully-formed and nearly perfect. Sometimes these heights cannot be reached without physical and cosmic elements aligning, and that, dear friends, is why it has taken so long for us to bring you THE ONE and the epic shows that surrounded it. No need for even the slightest embellishment here, 5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY, has for decades, been THE resounding favorite; you've said it yourselves - the "holy grail" of Grateful Dead shows. Thanks to the passion and perseverance of Dead Heads like you, we are beyond pleased to finally be able to present this show and its brethren, the fabled four of Spring '77, in sonically pristine condition.

MAY 1977: GET SHOWN THE LIGHT is a collection of what is unanimously believed to be the most sought-after previously unreleased complete shows the Grateful Dead ever played. Collected, traded, and debated for decades, "the beloved Golden Trinity" of Boston, Ithaca, and Buffalo, along with their New Haven prelude, have inspired fans to "get on the bus," converted critics, and even garnered national attention (Cornell was added to the Library of Congress’ National Recording Registry). But until now, you've never really heard them quite like this!

The Dead is in the details... how serendipitous is it that the notorious Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings were returned to the archive just in time for the 40th anniversaries of these shows? Lovingly sourced from these well-reputed recordings, we invite you to experience four utopian shows just like they happened, to "be inside the music" as engineer Betty Cantor-Jackson intended. Whether you listen to each night on its own or imbibe the whole lot at once, we suspect you'll hear why every note mattered. Much like we were, you will be hard-pressed to determine which of these fine documents - will it be the understated but nuanced New Haven, Boston's festive fantasy vibes, the monumental catharsis of Ithaca, or Buffalo’s dreamy exuberance - is truly "the best." Does it really matter? We think not.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • daverock

Just to state the obvious, they are indeed fantastic records. I am half way through 5/25/72 at the moment - one that no-one really mentions. Probably because of the night after, which is a shame as it's a great show in it's own right. Curious "Good Lovin" - 14min 53 seconds, and no Pigpen rap - he just sings the opening the verses and the closing ones some 12 minutes later. In between we have spot on r'n'b jamming like no-one else.

• marye
    Fabian, send me a PM and I'll see if the Doc can shed some light here.
  • icecrmcnkd

Send a PM to Marye, she can help.

• fabianope
    Default Avatar
    Does somebody have problems with tracking number?

Hello,
    I've purchased the fantastic Lyceum LPs more than a month ago and still nothing arrived.
    I've searched for the tracking number done by the GD store on the DHL site but nothing appears.
    I've yet written to the customer helpdesk, but I'm curious if somebody encountered my same problem.
    Thanks a lot,
    Fabianope

• daverock

Excellent news ! I wonder if they will re-release other box sets in this format that originally sold out. Fillmore West 1969 is the one I sadly missed out on and would shell out for in a heartbeat.

• henryben

Since they sold out of the regular box set with all the bells and whistles, and had a huge demand, Dead.Net is selling an All Music Edition that "...only includes the 11 CDs in four folios and a booklet of liners, housed in a simple slipcase."

So, still the four shows, just without the special packaging and the unpublished book. This time, the order went through. Nothing on the website about this also being a limited release -- it's not numbered, but they don't specify if it's another set amount.

• howdydoody
    Default Avatar

will do! thank you.

• DaveStrang
    Default Avatar

You should ask on the Dave's Picks 30 thread…there's more people on there and very few if any on here…hope it helps.

• howdydoody
    Default Avatar
    I downloaded the…

Hi there,

I downloaded the ALAC of this digital download but when I import into iTunes it is not recognizing the artist or songs and not creating an album. For the same ALAC download for Pacific Northwest ’73-’74: The Complete Recordings Boxed Set it worked perfectly in iTunes. Why does this download now import correctly? Thanks if anyone knows or can help.

• marye
    they thought they were going for dead people as a marketing niche. Dead heads, dead people, I'm so confused... Anyway, they're gone for the moment.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 6 months

WHAT'S INSIDE:
Four Complete Shows on 11 discs
Four folios housed in a slipcase
5/5/77 Veterans Memorial Coliseum: New Haven, CT
5/7/77 Boston Garden: Boston, MA
5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY
5/9/77 Buffalo Memorial Auditorium: Buffalo, NY
50-page book of liners and photographs
Sourced from the Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings, transferred by Plangent Processes
Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
Artwork by Grammy-winning graphic artist Masaki Koike
Release Date: May 5, 2017

WHAT DEAD HEADS HAVE BEEN SAYING ABOUT...

NEW HAVEN 5/5/77
"Here is a prime example of the saying ‘the whole is greater than the sum of the parts’ … It’s called synergy and the Dead wrote the book on it.”

BOSTON 5/7/77
“The music they laid down brought me places I had not been before.”

CORNELL 5/8/77
“...the single best rock performance anywhere, anytime, by anyone.”

“There was just some kind of magical connection this night between the band members and the band and the audience - some texture, or some type of cosmic or celestial force is in the room.”

"This show is, was, and always will be Mecca.”

BUFFALO 5/9/77
"...an awesome display of the Dead’s captivating power"

If you've been following this site for quite some time, then you will know we are often flush with hyperbole when it comes to our releases. We can't help it, really - for we, like you, are Grateful Dead fans above all else. Just like you, we've spent countless hours debating the merits of show over show, year over year. We've kept a watchful eye on your wish-lists and carefully considered how to make - excuse the cliché - your dreams come true. And once we've made our commitments, we are steadfast in our determination to conjure up those dreams fully-formed and nearly perfect. Sometimes these heights cannot be reached without physical and cosmic elements aligning, and that, dear friends, is why it has taken so long for us to bring you THE ONE and the epic shows that surrounded it. No need for even the slightest embellishment here, 5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY, has for decades, been THE resounding favorite; you've said it yourselves - the "holy grail" of Grateful Dead shows. Thanks to the passion and perseverance of Dead Heads like you, we are beyond pleased to finally be able to present this show and its brethren, the fabled four of Spring '77, in sonically pristine condition.

MAY 1977: GET SHOWN THE LIGHT is a collection of what is unanimously believed to be the most sought-after previously unreleased complete shows the Grateful Dead ever played. Collected, traded, and debated for decades, "the beloved Golden Trinity" of Boston, Ithaca, and Buffalo, along with their New Haven prelude, have inspired fans to "get on the bus," converted critics, and even garnered national attention (Cornell was added to the Library of Congress’ National Recording Registry). But until now, you've never really heard them quite like this!

The Dead is in the details... how serendipitous is it that the notorious Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings were returned to the archive just in time for the 40th anniversaries of these shows? Lovingly sourced from these well-reputed recordings, we invite you to experience four utopian shows just like they happened, to "be inside the music" as engineer Betty Cantor-Jackson intended. Whether you listen to each night on its own or imbibe the whole lot at once, we suspect you'll hear why every note mattered. Much like we were, you will be hard-pressed to determine which of these fine documents - will it be the understated but nuanced New Haven, Boston's festive fantasy vibes, the monumental catharsis of Ithaca, or Buffalo’s dreamy exuberance - is truly "the best." Does it really matter? We think not.

user picture

Member for

9 years 2 months

It always amuses me that 1) people here liken the resale marketers to scalpers (not even close, and completely legal), 2) those same people have no clue that the resellers are an essential element to keeping the vault release program viable, which is good for all of us who want to continue having new Dead CDs available, and 3) not so amusing, but ironic that the "anti-scalper" posters are usually pretty nasty about it. They hope the "scalpers" get screwed, and seem to take it personally that a man or woman should try to profit from collector's items. Yet they will accuse those free market capitalists of being somehow "un-Dead-like". As if they've broken some code of conduct of the Grateful Dead Universe. And I guarantee while those resellers are going about their LEGAL activities, there are plenty of people criticizing them who, I am sure, must have illegally copied a Dead release for a buddy. Guranteed. Well listen up - nobody here is losing opportunities at buying Dead sets that they didn't already pass up on. Buy a Dave's Picks subscription if you don't want to miss out. This new set was available for a few days and has an All Music Edition, so it's here for all. You take away the eBay resellers, and Rhino can't offer as much product throughout the year. Period. And shame on anyone wishing ill will to their brothers who are stimulating the vault market, and doing it legally. You miss Cal Ripken's rookie card, should Topps and Fleer start reprinting them? Of course not. What's discouraging about the whole thing is the sense of entitlement I hear in these complaints. You're not entitled to anything - go work for it. If you were hospitalized or otherwise unable to get a certain release with the system being what it is, I'm truly sorry. I missed FW 1969 and E72 because I kept putting off purchasing until it was too late, and DaP 12 because I was in the hospital, and it sold out in 24 hours. Next time I bought the subscription. I went and got it. If you're cheering for resellers to fail, that's just nasty, shameful ill-will. No, I'm not a reseller, but clearly they're a big part of the Rhino marketing scheme, and they play a significant role in keeping us stocked with new Dead music.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

So you "shared"your NYE tix.Think not But like Trump you and the cool hip withit heads keep changing the subject. It's about one's word which as I've said you've shown what yours is worth absolutely nothing. You can keep saying look over here or it's about the music but we both know that's the trick. And like I said if it's about the music why not wait for the downloads. Because it's about the physical the collectable. No more moral compunction about passing out freebies
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

....nobody cares....well, they might care, but take it somewhere else, pretty please? Smoke a joint or something and wind down....
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

When people stop calling honest collectors scalpers and questioning their "Deadness" I'll stop using Trump as a noun/adj. Minas how right you are. There are very few people who don't collect something and ebay is the greatest thing sinced sliced bread. I collect Zappa records from all over the world. 20 years ago it was a lot harder and no I don't feel ripped off or scalped when I pay $150 For a used record
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 2 months

Now that precedent has been set, how about All Music editions of other sold out boxes such as FW69 which is many hundreds of dollars if purchased on eBay? Perhaps Rhino could have considered selling unlimited editions of the four GSTL concerts for $30-35 apiece once the box sold out so that all could share in the music for about the same price, but those that purchased the limited edition box would have something a little different and special for having struggled through the original purchasing process.
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Rub it on your forehead. :)
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

That, ICKid, is the funniest thing I have heard today.I've never tried AmericoneDream.. Thanks for that.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 8 months

Don't give a crap about them, what they do, or what they're called. Not saying I wish them good or ill, or what they do is ok or not. Just that they take the risk if they're going to buy up 10 copies and try to make a mint off them. So I don't feel sorry for them if they lose out on making big bucks due to more reissues. tough shit. If they do buy up tons of copies with the intent to make bank, and a few regulars here lose out on getting a copy at a more reasonable cost because of them, and then get no chance to buy a reissue at the normal price but have to pay a highly bumped rate that they may not be able to afford, sure it's legal. But I'd rather those here (and those longtime deadheads who don't hang out here all the time to catch the release on time but will want this box set) get more of a chance than a few days to buy this sparkler. I got mine in time, but that's not all that matters. Hell, I could always buy used copies at Amoeba in the past, ebay just takes away the geography problem. I bought many of my early Dick's Picks at used record stores when they first came out. Now you don't see them there much. "nobody here is losing opportunities at buying Dead sets that they didn't already pass up on" --maybe nobody here for the last few days, but there's tons of fans who may not hang out here enough to catch the 3 day sellout. So, it's great that they're making more available at the normal retail price, is my point. The resellers will get their chance, but I don't see any reason to give it to them after 3 days. Don't need a lecture on capitalism.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 7 months

Flexibility, and responsiveness, that's nice to see! Keep the feedback tone friendly and constructive. Win-win.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 7 months

Making this music available to everyone was the right thing to do. I coudnt' imagine being a loyal fan and customer of this site and missing out on such a thing. I bought the all music edition of Europe 72 and am happy to have it. Most of us know that the streamer trunk for that box is still on ebay for usually around 800 dollars, it IS collectible, and I would love to have one, just not at that price. This box will still be collectible but the music which is what it is really all about should be available to everyone. I mean, how could you keep true fans from being able to buy these shows which we have waited for for so long. Missing out on FW is probably my biggest regret, if I could only go back to that release date! That is an example where the music is not available and I think dead.net regrets how they worded that release, at this point they really cannot reissue that music which should be available to fans like myself who get so much joy from it. Now I have to admit the collection piece does add a bit of enjoyment for me. Take Dave's Picks for example. There are several I could have passed on and wouldn't be in my "collection" now if they were not limited and I could hop on here and order them anytime. But now I HAVE to have them all! Can't miss out! It has become something I really enjoy and has me checking this site at least once a day waiting for the next announcement. I do find it funny how some of the aftermarket has shaken out. I don't know if people are really paying 600 for FW, but that is simply too much. I hold the second 90 box in MUCH higher regard than the first. I mean, it is the best sound quality GD music available, period. They used 2 track for the first 90 box (shamefully) yet it goes for around 600 on ebay while the latter is just above the original price tag. The 77 winterland box is crazy high and the 73 box is around the original price? With all the other 77 music available? Anyway, I look forward to these releases so very much. I will be checking in everyday listening to the regulars ramble on here once the smoke clears from this. Everyone should be happy about what is taking place here. The music is what matters and music this good shouldn't be only for a select few.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Making these all available in a physical format in addition to the downloadable will assure that everybody who wants one can do so without getting ripped-off by second hand sellers. Ultimately, I'd rather see the band and those who are heirs to the estates of those who have passed and those employed by them who keep the ship sailing get paid for their own product than secondhand marketeers. Now can you PLEASE make an all music edition of the Fillmore West '69 box available for those of us shut out of the most significant live concert archival release the Dead ever put out?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 2 months

As well intentioned as the All Music Edition is, it just doesn't go far enough. It's painfully obvious that the people who put together this box set underestimated demand to an absurd degree, and by doing so, have fostered the creation of an eBay "scalper's market" for this set. By offering only a bare bones All Music Edition as a consolation prize for the potentially thousands of Deadheads who were shut out, they have -- unwittingly??? -- rewarded eBay scalpers. Seriously, why not simply press up another 5-10,000 box sets? They don't have to be individually numbered, but they should contain everything that was in the original box. Only people who bought the set not for the music but to make a quick buck would have any reason to complain. I don't know why Rhino/GDP are going out of their way to help eBay scalpers, first by restricting supply of the box sets to only a fraction of the demand, and then by going out of their way to preserve the exclusivity of the original box set release. And for those who are now applauding this new release by saying its "all amount the music" -- well, if that were true, then they'd be pressing up more of the original box, not preserving its exclusivity so eBay scaplers can continue to profit.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

Doesn't appear to be limited edition. This might be worth while to order I can keep the Ltd edition box set intact and order the book from Amazon on April 11th and I'll basically just have an unnumbered box set. And this way I'll keep the AME for travel purposes. Not a bad idea I'll sleep on it. Even though I have the E72 box I have 15 separate shows from E72 and 11 from 30 TATS. The reason I do it because I keep the DEAD SETS tucked away in the closet & pulling them out is a real hassle. I keep separate shows on the CD shelf. I'm such a DeadHead.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

The only significant difference between the box and the all music edition, other than some minor packaging differences, is the Cornell book which will also be available independently outside from the box set. The HD download I assume will have a digital version. Othewise, those getting the all music edition who also want the book can order it here... https://www.amazon.com/Cornell-77-Magnificence-Grateful-Concert/dp/1501…
user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

Ten years ago in a David Gans interview Jeffrey Norman said: And I wish I’d known about it [The Plangent tool] when I did the Fillmore West, because as much as I like that Fillmore West box set, it would’ve sounded even better. I own a FW '69 box set already but All I am saying Is give Jeffrey a chance...
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

An upgrade with plangeant processing would be further incentive to re-release the FW '69 box, even as an "all music" edition or HD download option. Money just waiting to be made sitting there in limbo.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 1 month

Who runs this ship? They knew before this went on sale that it was going to be hot and sell out quickly, yet they initially did not limit orders to a maximum and later changed that to 20. Seems to me that this was the plan from the go. Let the numbered edition sell out quickly, get the hype machine revved up, and supplant the mix with a music only copy for the same price. Even a limit of 2 or 3 would seem respectable, but definitely not 20. They love the flipping and hype and people will still fork over ridiculous amounts of money for something they could download for free if they searched hard enough. Seems like a money making / marketing scheme that is working great for Rhino and GDP. People are lapping it up, limited or not. It's great music and it'll be around for everyone to listen to, one way or another, rich or poor, pick your poison. Hopefully the packaging will be significantly different for the music only and the limited edition versions, maybe similar to how different Europe 72 was, although I don't think they can top that packaging. Still my favorite even more than the 30 trips. Now the long wait. 73.25 days away from release day. What do people want for next years Betty Board box set release? I'm surprised there are 2690 July 1978 box sets left. I love that set and thought it would be gone by Christmas.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 2 months

But why have any significant differences at all? Why not just offer the same box set in a non-numbered edition? If the All Music Edition was intended to serve as a low-cost alternative to the limited edition set, it would have been offered at the same time as the Limited Edition box set.
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

I got burned by the "false urgency" of this announcement into spending hours Thursday to make sure I wasn't shut out. I concur Rhino/Warner never planned on capping this Holy Grail box set at 15K. Live and learn. A little fishy guys. Next time I relax and buy later or elsewhere as needed. Fool me once.......
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 2 months

<> People were allowed to buy as many as 20 copies of the box set? That's ridiculous. I wonder how many of the people selling the set on eBay are Rhino employees. Look, I get the need to make these sets limited editions. If supply wasn't limited, a lot of people would wait to buy the set, and in all likelihood fewer copies would be sold. But in this case it's obvious that Rhino/GDP restrict production to levels guaranteed to ensure that demand would far exceed supply. Seriously, the almost immediate sell out could not have come as a surprise.

Member for

16 years 10 months

...gobbled by eleven alligators doin' the rag with a cautious king bee.... So what would grant a legal green light on a music-only release of FW '69? The written consent of all original buyers? I admit, it felt cool to be one of the lucky few at first ~ 'cause I came so close to sleeping on it one more night, which would've been too late. And how.... The market surge I woke up to was outrageous, as it's been ever since. Dumb luck as much as seizing an opportunity; I mainly just wanted 3/1 at the time (and you can never have too many versions of Mountains of the Moon, or shows with TC). But I've had beyond enough time to bask in my good fortune. Take this as this buyer's written waiver of future protest against re-release of Fillmore West '69. If collectors need be appeased (and I get that), at least open up audio download. I understand about Cal's rookie card. But that was issued his rookie season, a real-time collector's object. This music was made in 1969, the collector's item is merely how it was presented for sale in 2005. Not exactly a seamless analogy. Should heritage music belong only to one exclusive club whose members bought it, and were there to buy it, for one brief moment 36 years after the fact? I was 14 months old when this music happened ~ yet I deserve to be in the club that precludes its dissemination? Life's too short, I say.....
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

From the marketing perspective, this is one way to sell three versions of the same thing to the same people. I've seen one poster suggesting buying the "all music" edition as well as to having ordered the box. Some of the more hardcore faithful might also also buy the HD download just to have every single version. I know a couple of people who bought both, the TTATS box and lightning bolt. That's some deep pocket action there. I can see a future episode of Hoarders where somebody is buried in Grateful Dead music and memorabilia.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

So how long before the Dead become indistinguishable from the Stones. You know very expensive deluxe sets reissuing the same material. Oh wait that one's covered how many times has captain trips been issued. Next up Stereo and mono version. Then the phony website issue to ramp up fever to convince normally honest people that there is a shortage. Sorry 3 days was plenty of time for those of us that really really wanted it to buy it. Hell on the 3rd day I went back to buy a second one because my friend is a little short right now. He just told me I could cancel and he'll buy it when his tax return comes.the real tell will be how many and how fast subscriptions they'll sell next year. You do reap what you sew. So to all the Trumpsters having a good laugh at the fools who go out of the way to sell the releases fast the price will be paid somewhere down the line
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 9 months

now i get it. will wait for individual shows rather than all music. who needs new haven!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 9 months

i pity the fools what bougt 20 limited, which are now worth far less thanks to unlimited all music. trolled!
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

....well, me for one....comparing the Stones with the Dead? That's like comparing neopolitan with moose tracks....releasing the same old stuff in a new package? Every show the Dead played was a new package. Now, lets look at the set lists from the last Stones tour, shall we? Might as well pick any city and you get the tour imo....what is this Captain Trips re-re-reissue you speak of? I don't think I have that one.....unless you meant their first release, which came with an awesome live P.N.E '66 disc included. Good enough for my dollar....
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 5 months

I hate this All Music Edition.I was hoping to sell my copy for 2X to a buyer who would be more happy with the box set than with his money. And maybe with that money, I might buy more stuff from dead. net. You see how that works?
user picture

Member for

14 years 11 months

Skipping this set. These shows have been available for so long, in such pristine quality that I find it hard to stomach the cost of the set. Sure it's collectible, but how many Heads are actually going to part with their copy? I purchased 30 Trips and still have not made it all the way around. That set equals 7.5 years of vault releases. I've been digging it a little bit lately, and have been enjoying the '83 show this week. Sometimes, I think about piecing it out over on the secondary market. Shows are going for $40-$50 a piece easily. I ask myself-"How much is enough?" I have so many shows now, I can't even possibly enjoy them all and listen to them as much as I would like to. I'll pick up the Cornell stand alone release, and add the Red Rocks show when it becomes available. The work Charlie Miller does over on the archive rivals what Jeffrey Norman does, no disrespect to either of them. I guess it comes down to the old phrase-"He who dies with the most shows wins". Anyway, I hope everyone enjoys their sets and I'm looking forward to the feedback when it is released. I'm also still trying to process the most recent Dave's Picks show. I'm rambling.
user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

what are some of your favorite Dark Stars? I'm partial to 11/11/73, 9/21/72 and 5/25/72. Just asking...
user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

Gonna pack my lunch in the morningAnd go to work each day And when the evening rolls around I'll go on home and lay my body down And when the morning light comes streaming in I'll get up and do it again Amen. I'm gonna be a happy idiot And struggle for the legal tender Where the ads take aim and lay their claim To the heart and the soul of the spender And believe in whatever may lie In those things that money can buy Thought true love could have been a contender Are you there? Say a prayer for the Pretender. Who started out so young and strong Only to surrender.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

I can't figure out why this is a bad thing that has some people really pissed off.
user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

when I resurrected FloridaBobaloo, I pledged NOT to be nasty or say mean things, therefore I won't.Wishing ALL you Heads Happy Listening............
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

Was july 13 1984. Not necessarily because of the music but it was the encore at the Greek and they had a killer vid screen of photos that had just come back from God knows what space flight. It was phenominal
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

After reading the posts and having a personal Ebay experience, I think I understand why this All Music Edition has some people pissed off. I wasn't around for Dave's Picks until 2015. In my scramble to backfill my collection, I ended up with two copies of DaP 1, aka "Hokey Religions & Ancient Weapons". I sold one on Ebay, and was met with a furious response from the buyer who demanded a refund, stating that the CD set was "not as advertised" Why? Because it wasn't a numbered copy. Everything else looked and was manufactured the same as every other copy, just no number. Apparently these numbers are important to some folks, I gathered, because it makes their set a "Collectible". So I assume anyone who just bought a numbered copy of the Cornell box set (or several), just felt they lost future value in their own personal CD set(s). I believe they feel Rhino just worked both sides of the street, after advertising the set as their typical limited edition release, then turning around in 3 days and watering down the value of the limited edition by basically re-releasing an unlimited amount more. Whether you bought 1 copy for yourself, or 20 for resale purposes, your investment just lost equity. And here's the kicker for those who are really interested in the "collectible" value - this All Music Edition was completely planned. It's being framed like an oh gee, we didnt anticipate the demand, but who wouldnt anticipate 15K easily sold for these particular shows, and when has Rhino ever responded this quickly and decisively with a plan as they did with this All Music Edition? It was literally ready to go as soon as the 15K sold out - it was planned. So, as someone mentioned, the whole Limited Edition marketing schema IS a sales device to not only get people to buy quickly, but to make them feel they bought something MORE than the music (which they have been in every other Limited Edition product thus far, except E72 - but there are big differences there); the Limited Edition / numbered copy marketing schema is an unstated, assumed promise to the buyer, that they are investing in a Collectible that will apprecite over time. To some extent, Warner has devalued the original 15K, for casual Collectors and resellers alike. I think there will be backlash from the resellers. I think they may have just double crossed a large portion of the market. Or maybe not, what do I know - I have a psychology degree and a job as a software engineer (not to mention a PhD in E72). Personally, I paid a lot of money for my Dead collection, so I am not interested in seeing anything reissued or published as an All Music Edition - I would like it to maintain its worth, and maybe appreciate some. I'm not complaining about what I paid, because after all, I'm the moron who didn't buy FW 1969 Complete box set, on the grounds that I didn't need multiple versions of the same songs, when the best of the set was being released on a 3 disc compilation. What a maroon! FloridaBobaloo - I gotta say - I don't recall you ever being mean spirited.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

You say the value of the limited numbered collectible version took a hit when the umlimited unnumbered version was announced, but you also say the collector shopping for this will insist on a numbered item. Not sure that adds up.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

...listen to the music play"
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

It is and always should be about the music. I will never understand those who would hope and/or want to deny others from the opportunity to acquire this music in order to maximize the resale value of their own purchase.
user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

I agree with Antonjo I wish that they would at least release download versions of past sets like FW69. I made the mistake of pausing on that one at the time. Since I only really care about the music, I would have gladly paid for a download. A very kind person burned the whole set for me but I would have bought it from GDM. They have it sitting there all remastered and ready to go. I don't think that collectors would be upset at all about a download reissue. I don't get that one...
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 11 months

This one is on the bean counters... They knew the demand was double that of any other box they have released (I don't recall any previous releases of more than 7500-maybe the Spring 90 sets) They blew it wicked bad. Obviously, the selected shows and nearly three decades of hype brought this all to a fine froth. For me, the size and price of the box is a big factor. I didn't go for the steamer trunk due to the size and cost. I did purchase TATS, but I am not really digging the whole thing it is too much to digest and doesn't fit on a shelf. 3-5 show boxes hit a sweet spot for me. What did they know and when did they know it? I don't think they called an emergency meeting yesterday morning to hastily pull together the All Music package. The model already existed with E72. It would be really interesting to know how many All Music E72's have sold as well as the individual shows from the run.(Am I correct in remembering that both E72's were priced the same?) When this box went haywire on Thursday, the framework was already built for releasing more music. I don't have a problem with this-the more the merrier. I got caught up in Thursday's sausage grind and eventually got a confirmation on early Friday morning. I camped for plenty of concert tickets only to have additional shows added. Was I pissed at the band for meeting demand? Was I pissed at the people who walked into the record store and scooped up tickets without any hassle? For those who are pissed about paying a little more for a little less (but the music is still all there) I look at it like an early subscription with free shipping or a bonus disc, etc. Early buyers are getting a book and groovier packaging. Big deal. Spread this set of shows far and wide! Let the Dew cry out from every mountaintop! And of course, eat more ice cream!
user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

Thanks brother........
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

this release. But then I rationalized this must the powers of the universe telling me I had enough Dead in my collection, possibly similar to what others have posted. Then I told myself I was sad as I would not be able to have this pristine sound from those great shows. Of course I am constitutionally incapable of making a long story short, but here is my take. I welcome the 'music only' opportunity. I also echo SpaceBrother, Antonjo (and others) that a 'no frills' music only (even download, maybe I could get my sons to help me with that) version of that 1969 box set would be very welcome for those of us who did not jump on that opportunity. I recognize others do not agree with this and view this approach as reducing the 'worth' of their collections. Once upon a time, some of us recorded the Deads shows. One of my best 'pulls' was from the Dead's original Red Rocks jaunt in 1978 (now available here). Many of you already had the audience tape that I provided of those shows, prior to the official versions release. I shared those with all who wanted them. Some tapers would not share the best or finest from their collections. There were even tapers who would place a 'pause' within a critical part of a song to imprint their 'mark' on that Dead show they were sending out to others. Controlling the music or 'marking my territory' is not part of what I wanted to participate in. As we Deadheads do, we can disagree, bicker, ask for more, argue on the best era, line up, show, tour, etc. But from where I sit, I believe what Jerry said regarding the music (and I am paraphrasing here) "we played it, we are done with it". They were fine with the taping, their music 'model' had the music industry shaking their heads, and now look at how much live music is recorded and shared. And you don't even have to mail the tapes to someone else! ;o) I am thankful for another bite at the musical apple. And not at double the price from Ebay. Sure I wish all the bells and whistles were included, but since I can get upgrades on these shows, despite being awol from Deadnet over the weekend, I really have no complaints and appreciate this added chance to get the upgrade. And I will be forever grateful for the help of all who have provided access to the aural record of this transportive band of hooligans (including tapers, many kind persons on this site, etc.). "every time that wheel goes round, bound to cover just a little more groud..." you know the rest. Teachers open the door, but you have to enter by yourself.
user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

Maybe this is an observation.Lets say you are a fan of Renoir. To own a genuine painting, well you know the score right? BIG money!! But how many prints of say "Luncheon of the Boating Party" are there? They are NOT anything but copies, mass produced to let people enjoy the painting or the "visual". To me I see a same example with this box. I did go nuts for 5 hours to secure one of 15k. That can make me a fool, or a fan. Thats up to interpretation. But I made the choice and thats how it is in our economic way of life I suppose.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 7 months

It's a lot to carry through life, and there is a ton of all kinds of music to enjoy. One of the best things I did in recent years was to stop buying all the GD releases, and not subscribe reflexively to Dave's series every year. As it turned out, I am not a Dave customer this year. It's feels good and healthy to relax and say you can take it or leave it. What else can you do with your money? Or that less may be more. And besides, tapes, the archive, and CDRs provide joy unmatched by "product."
user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Hey deadheads, hope you are not all feeling the burn from this announcement. This is the exact same thing that they did for the E72 box. This is false advertisement in its purest form. Why do they do this? Tell everyone on line that there is a limited number of copies, get those sold super fast, then tell everyone that there are more, just different. But it's the same. What a ripoff. They will continue to do this if the demand is there and I for one will not buy into this scam. I have pristine copies of all of these shows, have had them for years and I enjoy everyone of them, why would I pay 140.00 for 4 shows that I all ready have? Then they turn around and burn everyone who bought the first series. I suggest that everyone who bought the first set, the numbered ones, not to pay for them, this set is tainted and will always leave a bad taste in my mouth, just like E72. Stop payment on all credit cards, your reason is "Not as Advertised", therefore, not libel to pay for it. It's time we deadheads stood up to the greed that is taking over this site and the world. I shall shout this from the rooftops for years, ripoff rhino and the tainted betty's. I guess 2 million wasn't enough. I wonder how many of the surviving members are thinking about how their brand name is being shat on. I wonder if they even care. The words to "Throwing Stones" kinda fits here "I got mine...."
user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

I own FW 59, and I'm completely fine with a rerelease of FW69: whether it's - digital only, or - simple packaging, or - similar packaging but unnumbered, or - a complete new set numbered, with a prefix ('2nd run') or - no prefix. I think most FW69 owners think like this but apparently there is some legal issue why they can't. If they could, they would, to please customers, and to make money. Which is why I think they phrase things carefully nowadays, and there is nothing illegal about the all music edition of May 1977 (and E72) as such. And your moral judgment will vary. I for one do not feel 'burned' that there will be more people who can buy this music in hard copy! However, one could argue that a new improved version of FW69 (through the plangent process, whatever that is) would not consititute an infringement of rights.
user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

I can't feel bad for greedy people trying to make a profit on a limited release then getting burned. I feel the same way for people that buy up tickets via rock groups site only to sell them as a profit. This only frustraights the true fan from getting to see the show or owning the music. I like the fact they broke up europe 72 shows I am still trying to purchase those. I would like them to breaks up the 69 box set. I guess my only take from all of this is why are downloads pretty expensive compared to the physical media. No box no shipping no physical store. You would think that downloads would be half the price. Just saying
user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

The 69 box set hurt me the most as they broke up the Europe 72 shows. Like I stated up above why are downloads so expensive. They might be a higher resolution but it's a download that is only a a few bucks cheaper than the cds
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 5 months

I see this kind of comment routinely. I'm not sure how much it reflects a common view, but I think its not contained to one person. Personally, I don't feel ripped off. Spending money on things comes down to what you can afford and what you value. I value the GD releases as a fan. I used to think that since I already have soundboards, why would I bother ever purchasing another GD release. Somewhere in the last 5 years that changed for me, and I'm not exactly sure why other than listening to the GD releases provides me with pleasure that I can't put a limit on. So for me, these are invaluable. I like to look over at my CD section and see all the GD stuff. In the end, no one forces anyone to buy anything. You can pass, you can buy...you can feel ripped off, you can feel fulfillment...so to counter this argument, I am feeling fulfilled and I really look forward to receiving this release.
product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/boxed-sets/may-1977-get-shown-the-light-all-music-edition-1.html