• 4,023 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    May 1977: Get Shown The Light (All Music Edition)

WHAT'S INSIDE:
    Four Complete Shows on 11 discs
    Four folios housed in a slipcase
    5/5/77 Veterans Memorial Coliseum: New Haven, CT
    5/7/77 Boston Garden: Boston, MA
    5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY
    5/9/77 Buffalo Memorial Auditorium: Buffalo, NY
    50-page book of liners and photographs
    Sourced from the Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings, transferred by Plangent Processes
    Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
    Artwork by Grammy-winning graphic artist Masaki Koike
    Release Date: May 5, 2017

WHAT DEAD HEADS HAVE BEEN SAYING ABOUT...

NEW HAVEN 5/5/77
    "Here is a prime example of the saying ‘the whole is greater than the sum of the parts’ … It’s called synergy and the Dead wrote the book on it.”

BOSTON 5/7/77
    “The music they laid down brought me places I had not been before.”

CORNELL 5/8/77
    “...the single best rock performance anywhere, anytime, by anyone.”

“There was just some kind of magical connection this night between the band members and the band and the audience - some texture, or some type of cosmic or celestial force is in the room.”

"This show is, was, and always will be Mecca.”

BUFFALO 5/9/77
    "...an awesome display of the Dead’s captivating power"

If you've been following this site for quite some time, then you will know we are often flush with hyperbole when it comes to our releases. We can't help it, really - for we, like you, are Grateful Dead fans above all else. Just like you, we've spent countless hours debating the merits of show over show, year over year. We've kept a watchful eye on your wish-lists and carefully considered how to make - excuse the cliché - your dreams come true. And once we've made our commitments, we are steadfast in our determination to conjure up those dreams fully-formed and nearly perfect. Sometimes these heights cannot be reached without physical and cosmic elements aligning, and that, dear friends, is why it has taken so long for us to bring you THE ONE and the epic shows that surrounded it. No need for even the slightest embellishment here, 5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY, has for decades, been THE resounding favorite; you've said it yourselves - the "holy grail" of Grateful Dead shows. Thanks to the passion and perseverance of Dead Heads like you, we are beyond pleased to finally be able to present this show and its brethren, the fabled four of Spring '77, in sonically pristine condition.

MAY 1977: GET SHOWN THE LIGHT is a collection of what is unanimously believed to be the most sought-after previously unreleased complete shows the Grateful Dead ever played. Collected, traded, and debated for decades, "the beloved Golden Trinity" of Boston, Ithaca, and Buffalo, along with their New Haven prelude, have inspired fans to "get on the bus," converted critics, and even garnered national attention (Cornell was added to the Library of Congress’ National Recording Registry). But until now, you've never really heard them quite like this!

The Dead is in the details... how serendipitous is it that the notorious Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings were returned to the archive just in time for the 40th anniversaries of these shows? Lovingly sourced from these well-reputed recordings, we invite you to experience four utopian shows just like they happened, to "be inside the music" as engineer Betty Cantor-Jackson intended. Whether you listen to each night on its own or imbibe the whole lot at once, we suspect you'll hear why every note mattered. Much like we were, you will be hard-pressed to determine which of these fine documents - will it be the understated but nuanced New Haven, Boston's festive fantasy vibes, the monumental catharsis of Ithaca, or Buffalo’s dreamy exuberance - is truly "the best." Does it really matter? We think not.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • daverock

Just to state the obvious, they are indeed fantastic records. I am half way through 5/25/72 at the moment - one that no-one really mentions. Probably because of the night after, which is a shame as it's a great show in it's own right. Curious "Good Lovin" - 14min 53 seconds, and no Pigpen rap - he just sings the opening the verses and the closing ones some 12 minutes later. In between we have spot on r'n'b jamming like no-one else.

• marye
    Fabian, send me a PM and I'll see if the Doc can shed some light here.
  • icecrmcnkd

Send a PM to Marye, she can help.

• fabianope
    Default Avatar
    Does somebody have problems with tracking number?

Hello,
    I've purchased the fantastic Lyceum LPs more than a month ago and still nothing arrived.
    I've searched for the tracking number done by the GD store on the DHL site but nothing appears.
    I've yet written to the customer helpdesk, but I'm curious if somebody encountered my same problem.
    Thanks a lot,
    Fabianope

• daverock

Excellent news ! I wonder if they will re-release other box sets in this format that originally sold out. Fillmore West 1969 is the one I sadly missed out on and would shell out for in a heartbeat.

• henryben

Since they sold out of the regular box set with all the bells and whistles, and had a huge demand, Dead.Net is selling an All Music Edition that "...only includes the 11 CDs in four folios and a booklet of liners, housed in a simple slipcase."

So, still the four shows, just without the special packaging and the unpublished book. This time, the order went through. Nothing on the website about this also being a limited release -- it's not numbered, but they don't specify if it's another set amount.

• howdydoody
    Default Avatar

will do! thank you.

• DaveStrang
    Default Avatar

You should ask on the Dave's Picks 30 thread…there's more people on there and very few if any on here…hope it helps.

• howdydoody
    Default Avatar
    I downloaded the…

Hi there,

I downloaded the ALAC of this digital download but when I import into iTunes it is not recognizing the artist or songs and not creating an album. For the same ALAC download for Pacific Northwest ’73-’74: The Complete Recordings Boxed Set it worked perfectly in iTunes. Why does this download now import correctly? Thanks if anyone knows or can help.

• marye
    they thought they were going for dead people as a marketing niche. Dead heads, dead people, I'm so confused... Anyway, they're gone for the moment.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 6 months

WHAT'S INSIDE:
Four Complete Shows on 11 discs
Four folios housed in a slipcase
5/5/77 Veterans Memorial Coliseum: New Haven, CT
5/7/77 Boston Garden: Boston, MA
5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY
5/9/77 Buffalo Memorial Auditorium: Buffalo, NY
50-page book of liners and photographs
Sourced from the Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings, transferred by Plangent Processes
Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
Artwork by Grammy-winning graphic artist Masaki Koike
Release Date: May 5, 2017

WHAT DEAD HEADS HAVE BEEN SAYING ABOUT...

NEW HAVEN 5/5/77
"Here is a prime example of the saying ‘the whole is greater than the sum of the parts’ … It’s called synergy and the Dead wrote the book on it.”

BOSTON 5/7/77
“The music they laid down brought me places I had not been before.”

CORNELL 5/8/77
“...the single best rock performance anywhere, anytime, by anyone.”

“There was just some kind of magical connection this night between the band members and the band and the audience - some texture, or some type of cosmic or celestial force is in the room.”

"This show is, was, and always will be Mecca.”

BUFFALO 5/9/77
"...an awesome display of the Dead’s captivating power"

If you've been following this site for quite some time, then you will know we are often flush with hyperbole when it comes to our releases. We can't help it, really - for we, like you, are Grateful Dead fans above all else. Just like you, we've spent countless hours debating the merits of show over show, year over year. We've kept a watchful eye on your wish-lists and carefully considered how to make - excuse the cliché - your dreams come true. And once we've made our commitments, we are steadfast in our determination to conjure up those dreams fully-formed and nearly perfect. Sometimes these heights cannot be reached without physical and cosmic elements aligning, and that, dear friends, is why it has taken so long for us to bring you THE ONE and the epic shows that surrounded it. No need for even the slightest embellishment here, 5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY, has for decades, been THE resounding favorite; you've said it yourselves - the "holy grail" of Grateful Dead shows. Thanks to the passion and perseverance of Dead Heads like you, we are beyond pleased to finally be able to present this show and its brethren, the fabled four of Spring '77, in sonically pristine condition.

MAY 1977: GET SHOWN THE LIGHT is a collection of what is unanimously believed to be the most sought-after previously unreleased complete shows the Grateful Dead ever played. Collected, traded, and debated for decades, "the beloved Golden Trinity" of Boston, Ithaca, and Buffalo, along with their New Haven prelude, have inspired fans to "get on the bus," converted critics, and even garnered national attention (Cornell was added to the Library of Congress’ National Recording Registry). But until now, you've never really heard them quite like this!

The Dead is in the details... how serendipitous is it that the notorious Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings were returned to the archive just in time for the 40th anniversaries of these shows? Lovingly sourced from these well-reputed recordings, we invite you to experience four utopian shows just like they happened, to "be inside the music" as engineer Betty Cantor-Jackson intended. Whether you listen to each night on its own or imbibe the whole lot at once, we suspect you'll hear why every note mattered. Much like we were, you will be hard-pressed to determine which of these fine documents - will it be the understated but nuanced New Haven, Boston's festive fantasy vibes, the monumental catharsis of Ithaca, or Buffalo’s dreamy exuberance - is truly "the best." Does it really matter? We think not.

user picture

Member for

10 years 5 months

'Couldn't I try just a little bit harder? Couldn't I try just a little bit more?' I GUESS I COULD HAVE -MYTIME-.I am not looking for sympathy, just the box I spent 4 days trying to order. So what if I had to stop Sat to go get my mother in law from the airport (from Spain) and then Sunday I took a a day off (my mistake, I know ... 'If I had my way...') I must have simply had bad luck that the link they sent me that would not let me buy it, TO BE CLEAR: --I DID NOT USE AN 'IMPROPER PAYMENT METHOD' (as you suggest) ON MY PART AS ALL 4 CARDS I TRIED WERE ALL VALID AS WAS/IS MY PAYPAL ACCT WHICH IS EVIDENCED BY THEM SELLING ME THE 5 LP AND CORN3LL CD Monday ONCE BOX WAS GONE! I used the links they emailed me about the snafu - BUT THE LINK THEY EMAILED ME KEPT SAYING INVALID, MEANING LINK WAS BAD OR CRASHED OR OVERRUN by heads ordering ---I know i am paying 'stupid tax' FOR not calling SAT NIGHT LATE, SUN OR MON morn at 6 am...you know before my 'Day job' and all. I WOULD BE ELATED W/ A NON-NUMBERED LIM ED BOX! I HAVE NOT GIVEN UP AND AM ON THEM ABOUT GETTING AT LEAST A NON-NUMBERED ONE AS I KNOW THEY ALWAYS MAKE EXTRAS IN CASE ONE IS DAMAGED IN SHIPPING, ETC (ANYBODY REMEMBER THE DAVE'S THAT HAD A HUGE BOX CUTTER KNIFE SLICE ACROSS THE SPINE FROM SOME employee WHO SHIPPED THEM??? WELL, THEY SENT OUT A NON-NUMBERED REPLACEMENT AND THAT TIME AND I WAS HAPPY AS A LARK. I WOULD GLADLY PAY THE 139.95 FOR A NON-UNMBERED BOX AND BOOK, BUT NOT FOR A PARTIAL PRODUCT... THEN THERE IS THE ISSUE OF THIS ILLEGAL 'BAIT AND SWITCH' (AND IT IS, BY DEFINITION IN MY STATE, AN ILLEGAL BAIT AND SWITCH... ENTICE BUYER TO COME IN UNDER AN ASSUMPTION OF TERMS, THEN CHANGE THE TERMS ONCE BUYER IS ON THE HOOK AND 'IN THE SHOWROOM' - POPULAR PRACTICE IN CAR LOTS IN THE '80S UNTIL OUTLAWED) IT JUST LEFT ME FEELING EMPTY AS A BUYER WHO DID ALMOST ALL HE COULD TO GET A COPY (ESPECIALLY SINCE GDP/R HAS IGNORED NY EMAILS AND CALLS, BTW I AM NOT FINISHED BOTHERING THEM) I MAY NOT BUY ANYMORE FROM THEM IF THEY DON'T FIX THIS. ANYWAY, THE BUDDHIST IDEALS MENTIONED BY SOME HERE DEF MAY COME IN HANDY, LET IT ALL GO AND MY SUFFERING WILL GO W/ IT. "I've GOT TO GET BACK WHERE I BELONG!"
user picture

Member for

11 years 11 months

Re: HendrixFreak's post, I too had my credit card info stolen and used (for $500 at StubHub) right after I placed my order for the box. Amex notified me of the fraud and issued me a new card (thus cancelling my old card). Then today the notice that my order here was cancelled. Hmmm, something is rotten in Deadland. My browser also notes that dead.net is not a secure site. Details sent to Marye but I thought I'd share in case others experienced something similar.
user picture

Member for

10 years 5 months

I JUST DID THE SAME. SOMETHING SCREWY W/ THE LISTING OF MUSICJAMZ AND SOMTREMKA ($273 IS OBSCENE FOR ONE SHOW!)I WOULDN'T DOUBT IF THEY WERE THE SAME SELLER UNDER DIFF NAMES. ARE THESE REALLY THAT RARE? WHAT WAS THE RUN 10,000?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 2 months

The run was 15,000 I believe. My issue is the way the item picture flipped from the cover of DaP 1 to 3 upon hitting purchase link.... Anyway, disc received, delivery refused, return to sender, address somewhere in New Jersey..... There's an SNL joke in there somewhere, I'm certain.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 1 month

...with a product that is going to create a multi-million dollar revenue stream, the company providing the product would make the acquisition of this revenue as seamless as possible and that there would be a competent attempt to make as many customers possible happy with their product. Limited box set will bring in 2 million dollars revenue. The LP set once sold will bring in 1 million. AME and cornell cd will bring in... That's a lot of money for one project alone. Throw in Dave's picks, 2 million dollars, 7 inch sub ($?), reissue dead LP and cd (?), soon to sell out 78 cd box, another 2 million, Shrine LP, Red Rocks cd, RSD release and the whole Dead catalogue, which consists of over 100 cds, downloads etc... That's a lot of money coming in over the course of 1 year. Considering very little money is spent on marketing, you'd think a little extra effort and money was spent on getting the ordering system right as well as a little foresight into making as many loyal fans happy as possible. IF you're a Canadian head and you want the Cornell cd or LP, you can get it from Amazon for about $23US and $100US with free delivery, with price protection AND they won't charge your CC or Visa debit until the product is available. How can you have top notch people on the production side doing fantastic work and yet totally drop the ball and skimp on the "delivery of product" side? Is it a Rhino thing? GDM? Millions of dollars in revenue and it's like distribution is someone with cds in the trunk of their car. Well, at least the product is nice...unless you bought one product but had to settle for another for whatever reason at the same price. Hey, there's always Ebay, where you can buy the GSTL box set for 3 times the cost. johnkay62 still has 3 left after selling 2. mitchs713 has at least 2 sets for sale. LLamalane5 still has 1 of 6 total sets available. Sorry but Supersweetsarah already sold all 5 of her sets. Yonkers74 sold all 3. It's only been a little more than a week. I'm sure more multiple copy sellers will appear.
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

They printed 12,000 Dave's Picks 1 through 4. That's why the first four have become somewhat scarce. I think several hundred Dave's Picks 3 were stolen or damaged from /in the warehouse before shipping.. so they extended the run by 250 or something like that.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 2 months

Thanks for the clarification brother....
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

....my credit card statement still says pending, but when I click the order status at the top of this page, my order doesn't even show up. Like I said, no panic because this is par for the course, but I will agree, ordering stuff on this site is like pissing into the wind. One just hope's there isn't a sudden gust....
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 11 months

Wasn't it this set that was re-shipped without numbers? It's Doesn't Matter and I don't mean to be a dick but those 13discs ARE SPECIAL. REALLY SPECIAL.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

1-4 : 12000 copies5-8 : 13000 copies 9-12: 14000 copies 13 -> 16500 copies
user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

What if the eBay sellers that bought 5-10 copies or more, and have already sold this "pre-release" have their orders canceled by this stupid credit card fiasco? Ha! I hope MaryE does not help rectify people who order more than say 3 copies. Three copies can be personal use (plus gifting). More than that is like scalping... I mean flipping... I mean resell.
user picture

Member for

14 years 11 months

this is weird. I'm getting this unsafe site on my computer, does that mean I ordered something?
user picture

Member for

11 years 10 months

When I checked my Order Status from dead.net, I got a message reading "You have placed no orders." UH OH! Then I remembered that I had actually placed the order through Rhino. I headed over to their website, and checked my order status there. Sure enough, I saw the order placed and status of "Processing." YAY!
user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

Dusty.rambler, for your negative wishes toward people you've never met, who are not breaking the law, but only trying to make a few bucks in a system that allows for it, I sentence you to one dire cash situation in life, where you'll have to sell your Dead collection on Ebay, but only get retail value for it. ikoiko1010 - for being so obsessed with those same people, such that you would feed your hateful energy looking up their sales productivity, I sentence you to one unforeseen financial calamity, equalling the total amount of money the resellers make off of this box set. Ha just kidding, you guys are probably much cooler than you seem.
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

FUCK SCALPERS...legal or not.:)
user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

"I sentence you to one dire cash situation in life, where you'll have to sell your Dead collection on Ebay, but only get retail value for it." Another interesting quote: "For your negative wishes for people who you have had not met." ??? "Luccccy you got some splannin' to do."
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

The movie Arrival is the Buddhist message in a nutshell. If you could see the future would you change anything? Why?
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I order the box set and, later got an email saying they couldn't verify my funds. The money was put back in my account. I went back and tried to order again with the same card and got the AME. The same card I used on the first transaction, and it goes thru. I'm so pissed.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 1 month

"you would feed your hateful energy looking up their sales productivity, I sentence you to one unforeseen financial calamity, equaling the total amount of money the re sellers make off of this box set." Interesting. I didn't realize that pointing out a misdeed and having an opinion on such a negative action was hateful energy. I thought it was speaking up against an obvious wrongdoing. Scalpers and Flippers are not partaking in positive actions. It's not just a few bucks morally wrong and it negatively impacts music fans. Unless you think the guy who's claiming that the Cornell cd is sold out and supposedly has 10 units for say for around 80 dollars is not doing anything wrong. Record Store Day is being ruined by flippers. Fare the well concerts were negatively impacted by scalpers. Oh, and I'm not sure if you have dial up internet or understand how Ebay works, but with regular high speed internet, it takes about 5 minutes to look up a few Ebay sellers' recent sales. Gave up trying to be cool a long time ago. Now I just try to always do the right thing and I meditate on that daily. Having said that, Love Jerry, I think Jerry would probably have said what flippers are doing here wasn't cool.
user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Mornin' rockers!!!! DISCLAIMER: I bought the box set (after all, I was at 5/7/77, so I felt obligated) and multiple copies of Cornell (mostly--but not exclusively--for my tour buddies from back in the day). Thanks for the comic/cosmic relief, ranging from the initial profound joy to the oh-so-predictable-with-every-release all caps angst because I either missed ordering or my order got f*cked up. OMG some things never change............ Here's my bottom line: if you crave the "physical product", subscribe to the Dead's email, pay attention, and have your money ready. If you only need "the music" then get the music only versions----or do what I did with several releases I didn't or couldn't afford----scrounge them up yourselves, call in some favors, do whatever it takes to get the music. Ask yourselves, is it about having "stuff", or getting the music? Enough "negativity", lmao. Let's switch gears................. Not a big advocate for PC71 box, although I love that run. There's a fair amount of repeats, and one show has been released already. Would much rather have a Normanized mini-box of 12/14-15/71............ Not too excited about the release of 12/7/71 either. Why didn't we get the full Norman 12/5/71? That shows stomps all over 12/7..... Back to quasi-lurker mode, as the deadhead said, "Garcia later"........... Doc Tradition demands that we not speak poorly of the dead
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 11 months

My order bounced back on my bank statement this morning which is cause for concern. Plenty of $ available, not sure why the charge disappeared. Order status at rhino seems to be temporarily disabled? Tried emailing both rhino & dead.net but all call centers closed till Monday so I won't know for sure what's going on until the weekend is over. I'm excited for this release but I have to say that now I am a bit worried... At least I'm not the only one
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Is this only happening with debit cards, or credit cards too? Airline and concert tix charge you when you buy them, even though you buy them months in advance. Seems like a good plan for pre-order music too.
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

A max of 3 units per order/credit card/delivery address during the first week of sale for any limited edition sounds like a good plan moving forward. After 1 week on sale the limit can be removed.This would (maybe) prevent any accusations of hoarding.
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

I missed the E72 box, and was elated to be able to buy the AME version of that run for $450 years later. Don't think for one minute that Rhino does not know what they are doing. They are the experts at this. Here's my little conspiracy theory. They know that the modern world makes all this music freely available via the gray market. What if they know that and plan for it? They are NOT trying to sell a million copies. They are trying to sell enough copies to justify to the suits and bean counters that the project is viable. These folks are music lovers, and just want to get the music out there; in all its Plangent-ized Norman-ized glory. The limited edition buyers fund all of this, allowing us to spread the music freely via online sharing. Point is, we should be grateful that anyone gives a hoot about remastering these dusty old reels. Make enough money on it to justify the project, with the ulterior motive of spreading the music freely to the four corners. Our world needs this music now more than ever. "I want to say to my Sisters and my Brothers, keep the faith."
user picture

Member for

14 years 11 months

The new ordering system at Dead.net/Rhino/Warner Music Group is very strange. When I ordered the original GD album, the charges were reversed and charged numerous times, by Warner, while I was awaiting shipping. It was driving me crazy. As for people whose orders are being cancelled by Rhino/Dead.net/Warner Music Group. You have my condolences. With that being said, if you don't already, PRINT your order confirmation immediately when you order. For some reason, I have always done this on Dead.net as back up. Skipping this set, and I have a feeling the individual shows will be available for purchase like Europe '72 due to the unlimited nature of this release. We'll see. I'm just going to purchase the Cornell official release, and add on Red Rocks '78 at that time. I have too much already. Finally, Warner/Dead/Rhino should just get rid of pre-order all together and just list the product for sale when it becomes available. I've never understood why they don't do that.
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Sure, could have been a lot smoother. (Perhaps akin to Spinal Tap's rollout for the "Smell the Glove" album.) In any event, it is what it is. I wanted a Limited Edition box (when it was still limited) and skipped a day of work to order one (or spend the day trying.) In the end, with the AME available, I would have been fine with that and a book order from Amazon (again did not know that was available at the time.) Whatever. Still fired up for the Normanized versions of these shows we all know and love! As you all know and express in your incisive posts, it is about the music of the Dead above all else. Don't fall into the Collectibles trap--I don't have a Zen Master, but I imagine that's what the Buddha would say. Jerry was my Buddha and I'm still onboard. He and the GOGD are my Zen Masters! Rock on and peace out! For the record, I've purchased lots of Dead off Ebay and thank those kind Heads who ripped and resold there shows so I could get to hear them. Aside from the music, the rest is all just cardboard boxes at the end of the day. Rock on and peace out. Listening to Winterland '77 in a loaner Jag yesterday (don't ask--random story) and life is good! take care of yourselves, your families and each other. Life is very good for Deadheads now! P.S. Not excusing GDM for cancelled orders, ect. My credit card was hacked six months ago and it was a major drag. (No idea fro where.) GDM sure can grow,but distribution could be improved. Have never checked my orders--what's to be is to be!
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I've decided not to listen to this offering, because I want to hear the show from beginning to end on my Fully Normanized version on May 5th. But I'm curious from those who have listened to it - how does it compare to the sound board version that most of us have? Does it sound significantly better?
user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

I thought the world of my Zen Master until I listened to a new Zen Remaster.
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

KeithFan, in a word, Yes. YES! This release will be an excellent case study of the Plangent/Norman work on an already high-quality SBD. As we all know, the archived copy is pristine. I am a huge fan and believer of the Plangent process for analog reels.
user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

I've got an extra copy of "The Golden Gate Gypsy Orchestra otherwise known as The Travelling Jewish Wedding" to give away for free. It's a burnt-on-demand CD-R from Smithsonian-Folkways,HRT15003, a part of their Mickey Hart Collection. Mickey had produced the original vinyl LP way back in 1980. It has been open and played several times and there maybe a scratch or two on the disc, but does not affect play. With sleeve and cover art and link to booklet. I will save you $9.99 which is the mp3 download price or $16.98 plus shipping and applicable taxes. PM me if you or someone you know wants this album. Mailing costs are on me. From the Smithsonian-Folkways site: HRT15003 The Golden Gate Gypsy Orchestra of America and California was an itinerant band of engineers, doctors, teachers, and musicians who played their music at weddings, Bar Mitzvahs, and other celebrations. Formed in 1976 by friends who shared a love of Yiddish, Russian, and Rom (Gypsy) music, the band was among the first of its kind to blossom in California. Violin, lute, balalaika (a triangular, stringed lute), contra-bass balalaika, bouzouki (a pear-shaped, long-necked lute), accordion, domra (another long-necked lute), and guitar accompany singers from Israel, Russia, and Mill Valley. Tracks include Russian and Ukrainian folk songs, an Israeli love song inspired by King Solomon's Song of Songs, a ritual circumcision song in Ladino (the language of the Spanish Jews), and a classic Yiddish riddle song ("Tumbalalaika") about the mysteries of the heart. The album was originally issued in 1980 and later reissued as part of “THE WORLD” series (now part of the Mickey Hart Collection made available by Smithsonian Folkways). PM me if you want this disc.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

I have now identified the 10 first bootlegs I got. I got from my first taper to say hey. Go buy a box of 10 maxell cassettes. I will tape them for you. I saw my first show at 16 at Alpine Valley 1985 I was now at school at KU few years later. I was so happy to get in the game. Tapers were the best. Especially when they liked you enough to tape 10 tapes and write all the music down. Here is the list. One tape labeled MUIR BEACH ACID TESTS 12/something/1965.( I found it in the dead base 12-18-1965 Muir Beach Lodge ) anyone remember that tape. It was a great tape sounded just like a early acid test tape. Alligator, He was a friend of mine, stuff like that. Very early and raw killer stuff and still to this day one of my favorites tapes. Then there was the Anchorage Show the one with Big Railroad Blues opening the second set. I lived in AK for 5 years. That high school still exists. Then there was the Swing Auditorium Show the first estimated and terrapin ever and in the first set if I remember right. Another killer tape. Cornell was there as well. So than there was tapes 8 and 9. It was a tape labeled WAR MEMORIAL BUFFALO NY 5/9/78. It had to be mislabeled with that date or I would have know that it was one day after Cornell. I stared at the tapes for hours when I listened to them. Put them in order, re read them over and over. KU is in the midwest and in 1987 we did not have the same info east coast and west coast dead heads may have had. Anyway with the Shakedown opener the unreal cassidy and the Uncle Johns Closer it was always equal to or better than the Cornell. Funny thing is I started having flashbacks when I looked at the set list from buffalo memorial auditorium on the Dead.Net page after I bought a box set. Thinking I have seen and heard this before. Well I had. So call me a moron but I am very happy to learn that those tapes were one day apart. Which does make sense at this point. I doubt anyone else had that tape mislabeled or have any stories about mislabeled I am sure that Alaska show will show up in Daves picks as well as the Swing Auditorium. Hopefully the Muir Beach tape will show up. Just goes to show that Perception is one thing, Reality is another. The 10th tape it was 2/13/70 Dark Star Cyptical Livelight. Pretty cool thanks to this box I was able to remember my first batch of 10. They were all excellent sound and great sets. Thanks Kent from KU and Rockford Illinois. He was the taper.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

That's encouraging to hear. It's going to be a long 2 months waiting for this thing. And then at the same time we'll be receiving DaP 22 + Bonus. Good times. I read a comment on Heady Version from a guy who swears up and down that 5/19 is the best show of the tour. I always feel compelled to do a re-listen when I hear stuff like that. The second set is killer, no doubt. There's some great stage banter as they discuss how it's going to unfold.
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

Great post. My first box of Maxell's. I remember mine too. Better to go Maxell than TDK in my humble opinion.. I liked the Metals. I know we are much better off now, but you reminded me of the hunt. I got a few boxes of duds from folks, but a few boxes of gems. More often than not.. you get like three good, three decent and a couple great shows that sound like crap. I do remember getting this pristine Legion of Mary tape early on that sounded so good... it was my prize tape until the Archive. Heaven.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

A folio? I'm 1/2 tempted to buy this just to find out. The FULL box set price for the AME is a bit of a deterrent though. The first tape I traded for was 12/1/79 set II, I'd say around January 1985, I still have it in fact I have of all of my tapes. Just a few weeks ago I acquired from a local flea market JGB, Paul's Mall, 11/13/74 some songs from early and late show with excerpts of 11/16/74 a & b as filler not the greatest quality but for a buck I didn't expect to hear a stellar crispy SBD.
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Someone gave it to me because I didn't know Cassidy. Then I got someone to make me a box of 10 tapes, used those to trade for 10 more, went to a different person and traded for 20 more, and it snowballed from there. I mostly used XL, sometimes XL-II, MX if set 2 needed 110 min. I had a limited budget and needed to focus on quantity. The switch to CD-R was huge because it was more affordable than DAT, and you could do it on a computer. Then came the shn vines....... I'm still burning CD-Rs to this day.....
user picture

Member for

14 years 11 months

First Grateful Dead I ever heard was 4/7/71 at the Boston Music Hall. It was left in the cassette player at my first job. I was totally blown away. Then I copied the Dark Star Jam from 4/8/71 and the second side of the tape had part of the Felt Forum from 12/5/71-Muddy Water was on it. My old friend Will hooked me up with this tape/ My collection grew slowly, I obtained a copy of the second set from 10/18/89 at the Spectrum, and 8/19/89 at the Greek Theater, and a tape from Troupers Hall in 1966, that had an amazing Mason's Children to start the tape, before the Troupers Hall show started. I'd still like to figure out where the Mason's Children is from. Side B was the BIG jam from 2/11/70. I needed to have more tapes, as I was rapidly getting hooked; so I used the old Web service-Prodigy-and got on a Grateful Dead forum-this was probably early 1993. I found a place in Washington State and called them up and asked them if they had certain shows. I mailed them a box of Maxell XL-IIs (my preferred tape when I could afford them, otherwise I went with the XL-II). I was making 4.25 an hour working at the mall. Anyway, it took a few weeks for the tapes to get back to me. I received 2/13/70, 12/31/78, 12/30/69, 2/9/73. These tapes are still in my collection and all have some really funny Grateful Dead related fillers on them. One is of an Old Jerry and Phil sitting on a park bench smoking a joint. I can't believe I remember all of this. It's pretty wild to think about it, but I guess it's good for the memory, as I haven't thought about this for years. Needless to say I was completely hooked. My parents wouldn't let me see the Dead until I was 18, and my first show was 6/18/93 at Soldier Field. I managed to catch 39 more including the last one on 7/9/95. My neighbors, Sean and Steve, wanted to take me to the Deer Creek show in the summer of 1989-they went to Purdue. My mom said "No Way" as I was only 14. Who knows what would have happened if I went back then. Thanks for the ramble down memory lane
user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

enjoyed a beer or two after a hard day's work. And so did we. He said, and I quote from memory, verbatim, "But I never had a drink before the work was done!" This is a true story. RIP, Master.
user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

he said, "Sometimes it takes a lot of shit to grow a beautiful flower..."
user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

they were Maxell UD XL II s But unlike most of Y'all I used mine with a Tascam Portastudio 424.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 2 months

Boy, after reading these posts, reminds me, in 1990 got my first computer a Packard Bell 286-12 with Windows 3.0, had a Prodigy account , one thru AOL and then Compuserve, but that was expensive. Began finding little dead forums, and began trading XL2's, found a local head shop with a massive collection and struck up a deal with the owner. I sprang for a Sony dubbing deck, donated it to the shop, in exchange he let me use his collection as a library, where I could borrow, copy and return, still have a good 1000 or so shows in boxes in my basement, and the owner of the headship still has that dubbing deck. Went DAT but it was so expensive, and impractical....then CD-R. Life seemed so simple back then...it was. I still remember the first time I heard a complete show, 1977-09-03 Englishtown, believe it was a board or pre FM feed. My son still has that show in his van...why don't they still put cassette decks in cars? I'd still use one. Happy Sunday!
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Everybody loves filler, still do as you never know what you're gonna get. Back in the late 70's one of my original TDK SA90s had as filler a quick interview with Jerry about comedians mocking the Dead. He referenced an "old" bit he thought was funny by the National Lampoon folks and they played it. A Jetsons like time period. Jerry and Phil sitting on a park bench as old men getting stoned reminiscing 'bout their old band and the days at the Filmore/Pigpen etc. They get paranoid and focus on the pigeons and the modern "pigs". It was pretty funny. I've been searching for it over the years, anyone have a copy or link? Never thought at the time Jerry wouldn't get to that stage in his life.
user picture

Member for

13 years 9 months

PM me. Someone claimed my extra but then decided to steer their money to the new box set (perfectly understandable!). The two CD set is readily available, but the bonus disc is pretty rare. Thanks, and now back to "What was your first bootleg?" Mine might have been 12/5/71 Felt Forum. It certainly was one of the early ones. Good times! I had few enough boots back then that I could hear any segment from any tape and identify the show. How do I know? A girlfriend tried to stump me once with a Name That Tune type quiz.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

Bill Paxton
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Way back bootlegs were on albums. They were inside plain white album covers with the date stamped on the front and the vinyl was colored. This must be early to mid 70's. A head shop on Whittier Boulevard had a whole section. Great stuff. I remember a ton of Stones and Zeppelin but I only bought Dead. There were two "labels" that seemed to produce them, one was a real ugly pig and the other was a really ugly rhino. Wish I had kept them, along with my baseball cards and comic book collection. Jeez...my comic book collection...dresser drawers full...Marvel...DC...
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

....still have all my tapes too. Seven racks of them. Still have all my baseball cards. Three boxes of them. Still have all my comics too. 12 long boxes worth. Was on a comics bender from 1982-1993. Got to the point where I was buying more than I could read. Something had to give....
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 5 months

Limited Ed. box set selling strong on Ebay for $250-$350.Always completely blows my mind how there is so much hostility towards the sellers, but the actual buyers PAYING this money get a pass? Logic is a helluva thing.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 2 months

That's cause the ass douches who pay $350 will flip them for $500 or more.... Making America great again, one sucker at a time....

Member for

16 years 10 months

Belated response to KeithFan's observation (much further below ) that St Stephen wasn't really the same after they brought it back; lacked the same intensity. Hard to argue, and I doubt the band would either, because it wasn't meant to be the same. The '76 arrangement is essentially a rewrite, that version of the band approaching the song as if it were contemporary. So it's a lot more laid back, neither psychedelic nor a balls out rocker as it had been. Indeed, most of my favorite versions are from '69. But Cornell just might be my favorite version of all time. It's utterly a '77 Grateful Dead reading, and utterly exquisite. Slower, but enrichingly so, not lacking intensity at all. And boasting in spades that sentimental depth that came to be such a component of Dead performances. The "Stephen prospered in his time" verse is delivered so perfectly from all voices, and Jerry's lead line out of it is just golden. The whole performance just soars. Similar is Cosmic Charlie, and the bonus disc performance from 7/16/76. That song was even more transformed from its original incarnation, again, to considerably less bite. Yet, is it me, or does that 7/16 version not only transcend every other '76 version, but stands among the finest all-time performances of the song? May as well throw High Time in here, too. Of the three, this one was begging for Keith's keys. Though Jerry struggles to keep the verses straight on some of the early breakout versions, the arrangement actually surpasses the original ~ and the 6/28/76 Download Series bonus track is one of the finest. I think '76 and '80 (Go To Nassau!) saw some of the very best performances of this song. To bring it back around, can't wait to hear Cornell Stephen in its most glorious sonic glory yet!
product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/boxed-sets/may-1977-get-shown-the-light-all-music-edition-1.html