• 4,023 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    May 1977: Get Shown The Light (All Music Edition)

WHAT'S INSIDE:
    Four Complete Shows on 11 discs
    Four folios housed in a slipcase
    5/5/77 Veterans Memorial Coliseum: New Haven, CT
    5/7/77 Boston Garden: Boston, MA
    5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY
    5/9/77 Buffalo Memorial Auditorium: Buffalo, NY
    50-page book of liners and photographs
    Sourced from the Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings, transferred by Plangent Processes
    Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
    Artwork by Grammy-winning graphic artist Masaki Koike
    Release Date: May 5, 2017

WHAT DEAD HEADS HAVE BEEN SAYING ABOUT...

NEW HAVEN 5/5/77
    "Here is a prime example of the saying ‘the whole is greater than the sum of the parts’ … It’s called synergy and the Dead wrote the book on it.”

BOSTON 5/7/77
    “The music they laid down brought me places I had not been before.”

CORNELL 5/8/77
    “...the single best rock performance anywhere, anytime, by anyone.”

“There was just some kind of magical connection this night between the band members and the band and the audience - some texture, or some type of cosmic or celestial force is in the room.”

"This show is, was, and always will be Mecca.”

BUFFALO 5/9/77
    "...an awesome display of the Dead’s captivating power"

If you've been following this site for quite some time, then you will know we are often flush with hyperbole when it comes to our releases. We can't help it, really - for we, like you, are Grateful Dead fans above all else. Just like you, we've spent countless hours debating the merits of show over show, year over year. We've kept a watchful eye on your wish-lists and carefully considered how to make - excuse the cliché - your dreams come true. And once we've made our commitments, we are steadfast in our determination to conjure up those dreams fully-formed and nearly perfect. Sometimes these heights cannot be reached without physical and cosmic elements aligning, and that, dear friends, is why it has taken so long for us to bring you THE ONE and the epic shows that surrounded it. No need for even the slightest embellishment here, 5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY, has for decades, been THE resounding favorite; you've said it yourselves - the "holy grail" of Grateful Dead shows. Thanks to the passion and perseverance of Dead Heads like you, we are beyond pleased to finally be able to present this show and its brethren, the fabled four of Spring '77, in sonically pristine condition.

MAY 1977: GET SHOWN THE LIGHT is a collection of what is unanimously believed to be the most sought-after previously unreleased complete shows the Grateful Dead ever played. Collected, traded, and debated for decades, "the beloved Golden Trinity" of Boston, Ithaca, and Buffalo, along with their New Haven prelude, have inspired fans to "get on the bus," converted critics, and even garnered national attention (Cornell was added to the Library of Congress’ National Recording Registry). But until now, you've never really heard them quite like this!

The Dead is in the details... how serendipitous is it that the notorious Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings were returned to the archive just in time for the 40th anniversaries of these shows? Lovingly sourced from these well-reputed recordings, we invite you to experience four utopian shows just like they happened, to "be inside the music" as engineer Betty Cantor-Jackson intended. Whether you listen to each night on its own or imbibe the whole lot at once, we suspect you'll hear why every note mattered. Much like we were, you will be hard-pressed to determine which of these fine documents - will it be the understated but nuanced New Haven, Boston's festive fantasy vibes, the monumental catharsis of Ithaca, or Buffalo’s dreamy exuberance - is truly "the best." Does it really matter? We think not.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • daverock

Just to state the obvious, they are indeed fantastic records. I am half way through 5/25/72 at the moment - one that no-one really mentions. Probably because of the night after, which is a shame as it's a great show in it's own right. Curious "Good Lovin" - 14min 53 seconds, and no Pigpen rap - he just sings the opening the verses and the closing ones some 12 minutes later. In between we have spot on r'n'b jamming like no-one else.

• marye
    Fabian, send me a PM and I'll see if the Doc can shed some light here.
  • icecrmcnkd

Send a PM to Marye, she can help.

• fabianope
    Default Avatar
    Does somebody have problems with tracking number?

Hello,
    I've purchased the fantastic Lyceum LPs more than a month ago and still nothing arrived.
    I've searched for the tracking number done by the GD store on the DHL site but nothing appears.
    I've yet written to the customer helpdesk, but I'm curious if somebody encountered my same problem.
    Thanks a lot,
    Fabianope

• daverock

Excellent news ! I wonder if they will re-release other box sets in this format that originally sold out. Fillmore West 1969 is the one I sadly missed out on and would shell out for in a heartbeat.

• henryben

Since they sold out of the regular box set with all the bells and whistles, and had a huge demand, Dead.Net is selling an All Music Edition that "...only includes the 11 CDs in four folios and a booklet of liners, housed in a simple slipcase."

So, still the four shows, just without the special packaging and the unpublished book. This time, the order went through. Nothing on the website about this also being a limited release -- it's not numbered, but they don't specify if it's another set amount.

• howdydoody
    Default Avatar

will do! thank you.

• DaveStrang
    Default Avatar

You should ask on the Dave's Picks 30 thread…there's more people on there and very few if any on here…hope it helps.

• howdydoody
    Default Avatar
    I downloaded the…

Hi there,

I downloaded the ALAC of this digital download but when I import into iTunes it is not recognizing the artist or songs and not creating an album. For the same ALAC download for Pacific Northwest ’73-’74: The Complete Recordings Boxed Set it worked perfectly in iTunes. Why does this download now import correctly? Thanks if anyone knows or can help.

• marye
    they thought they were going for dead people as a marketing niche. Dead heads, dead people, I'm so confused... Anyway, they're gone for the moment.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 6 months

WHAT'S INSIDE:
Four Complete Shows on 11 discs
Four folios housed in a slipcase
5/5/77 Veterans Memorial Coliseum: New Haven, CT
5/7/77 Boston Garden: Boston, MA
5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY
5/9/77 Buffalo Memorial Auditorium: Buffalo, NY
50-page book of liners and photographs
Sourced from the Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings, transferred by Plangent Processes
Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
Artwork by Grammy-winning graphic artist Masaki Koike
Release Date: May 5, 2017

WHAT DEAD HEADS HAVE BEEN SAYING ABOUT...

NEW HAVEN 5/5/77
"Here is a prime example of the saying ‘the whole is greater than the sum of the parts’ … It’s called synergy and the Dead wrote the book on it.”

BOSTON 5/7/77
“The music they laid down brought me places I had not been before.”

CORNELL 5/8/77
“...the single best rock performance anywhere, anytime, by anyone.”

“There was just some kind of magical connection this night between the band members and the band and the audience - some texture, or some type of cosmic or celestial force is in the room.”

"This show is, was, and always will be Mecca.”

BUFFALO 5/9/77
"...an awesome display of the Dead’s captivating power"

If you've been following this site for quite some time, then you will know we are often flush with hyperbole when it comes to our releases. We can't help it, really - for we, like you, are Grateful Dead fans above all else. Just like you, we've spent countless hours debating the merits of show over show, year over year. We've kept a watchful eye on your wish-lists and carefully considered how to make - excuse the cliché - your dreams come true. And once we've made our commitments, we are steadfast in our determination to conjure up those dreams fully-formed and nearly perfect. Sometimes these heights cannot be reached without physical and cosmic elements aligning, and that, dear friends, is why it has taken so long for us to bring you THE ONE and the epic shows that surrounded it. No need for even the slightest embellishment here, 5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY, has for decades, been THE resounding favorite; you've said it yourselves - the "holy grail" of Grateful Dead shows. Thanks to the passion and perseverance of Dead Heads like you, we are beyond pleased to finally be able to present this show and its brethren, the fabled four of Spring '77, in sonically pristine condition.

MAY 1977: GET SHOWN THE LIGHT is a collection of what is unanimously believed to be the most sought-after previously unreleased complete shows the Grateful Dead ever played. Collected, traded, and debated for decades, "the beloved Golden Trinity" of Boston, Ithaca, and Buffalo, along with their New Haven prelude, have inspired fans to "get on the bus," converted critics, and even garnered national attention (Cornell was added to the Library of Congress’ National Recording Registry). But until now, you've never really heard them quite like this!

The Dead is in the details... how serendipitous is it that the notorious Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings were returned to the archive just in time for the 40th anniversaries of these shows? Lovingly sourced from these well-reputed recordings, we invite you to experience four utopian shows just like they happened, to "be inside the music" as engineer Betty Cantor-Jackson intended. Whether you listen to each night on its own or imbibe the whole lot at once, we suspect you'll hear why every note mattered. Much like we were, you will be hard-pressed to determine which of these fine documents - will it be the understated but nuanced New Haven, Boston's festive fantasy vibes, the monumental catharsis of Ithaca, or Buffalo’s dreamy exuberance - is truly "the best." Does it really matter? We think not.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 6 months

To me, pre-order means you're simply purchasing it in advance. I pay then I wait. Regardless of the form of payment, it should be a fairly simple and direct process. You're right, Lightfoot510. They're running a "test" to make sure funds are consistently available until they decide to extract them altogether. But whether it's a credit card, debit card, or PayPal, why not just complete the transaction and be done with it? For most people, a debit card is an immediate and easier form of payment. Oh, and interest free (the reason I personally don't always put it on a credit card unless absolutely necessary). I'd rather just be able to deduct the amount from my balance and move on. But this game of transaction hop-scotch is exasperating.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

When I first placed my order for the box set I got a email from Rhino.com confirming. The letter I received from today was from Rhino for canceling my order for not having the funds. So when my order was canceled, Rhino put the money back on to my card. That supposledy I didn't have in the first place. I went back and placed the order for the box set and received a letter form Grateful Dead not Rhino this time saying my order went thru. Check my card and says the charge is pending from Warner Music Group. I think the first charged was from Rhino, not sure because its not on my statement anymore. UPDATE: from Dr. Rhino I was able to to purchase the box set again and got an email saying. Your original order was cancelled due to an authorization failure with your payment method. However, your recent order for the May 1977: Get Shown The Light (All Music Edition) is active and processing. Your card has been charged successfully and your order will ship out on or around 5/5/17. I apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.
user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

Logged in.... "pending?"...yes, now I see and agree "Fuckery" is properly used here. So while listening to Dave speak about this being the beginning of Rhino filling in the gaps, I'm thinking this is a pretty shitty way to kick things off. Sure, I'm a sucker for most of these sets including Dave's Picks for a few years now. I'd think they'd get how important this is for bringing in new folks and how much positive buzz this should have. The comment section should be all stoked for the future, not pissed and bummed this is what we're going to have to face for this and the next releases? Fix this RHINO/WarnerMusic. Push it through and just charge us for the pre-order already. We trust you to deliver us the goods obviously.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 2 months

As previously posted at one point I had 13 copies of the boxset in my cart last Thursday as I was unable to complete any transaction and each time I retried to initiate the purchase, another package was in my cart, but did not have the ability to remove them. I just checked my credit card, and I have been charged and then charges deleted for each of 13 potential purchase. I am very confuzzled now....If I end up with a fuck load of limited edition box sets, they are up for the taking at cost here, not eBay. I've got nothing left to do but smile, Smile SMILE....said with teeth clenched and currently somewhat stressed.....
user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

I also would have preferred to have Rhino just charge my card immediately. But I seem to recall they did that for the 30 Trips box and people were complaining here about paying for something not yet shipped, as if it were a scheme to bank interest. Rhino is damned if they do and damned if they don't.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

When I finally got through to buy the damn thing I was cut off so I went right back in to try and buy it again. Then I noticed it said quantity 2 so I clicked on quantity to bring it down to 1 and every click just added until I ended up with 9 of these damn things in my cart. I have to admit I thought about about clicking "purchase" at that point. What the hell. But I didn't. Logged out. Logged back in and started over. This time it said quantity 1 and I clicked "purchase" as quick as I could. Crazy. Shouldn't have to be so crazy. I guess I'm lucky so far, my cart at Rhino says 1 quantity purchase confirmed. We'll see. Wouldn't be surprised if there's more nonsense ahead. P.S. Talking about the Get Shown The Light limited edition.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 10 months

Paypal took my payment the first day and my order appears to be all set. Looks like Im glad I didnt use my CC this time. I doubt they will refund my pp account and charge me again in a few weeks
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 5 months

I've collected every release from Dead.net, so I was stoked to get the numbered boxed set. After all the frustration ordering I finally got a confirmation email and my credit card was charged. Hallelujah! Then a day or two later. Just kidding! The transaction was canceled by Rhino and now sold out. Wow, burned.
user picture

Member for

16 years 2 months

This is the email I got tonight: Dear Rob, Thank you for you contacting Dead.net customer service. Your Order was cancelled by our system, due to an authorization failure with your payment method. We now have the May 1977: Get Shown The Light (All Music Edition) available to order at the following link: http://www.dead.net/store/1970s/may-1977-get-shown-light-all-music-edit… I apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience. If you have any questions, please let me know.
user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

The day the 'Get Shown The Light" box set went on sale, I encountered issues with the shopping cart/check out procedure that could not process the purchase. The Dead Net site confirmed there was a problem, encouraging us to continue to try to purchase this.I tried several times, and eventually encountered the box set was Sold Out!! Now they are offering the Audio CD Only recordings at the HIGH price of $139.98,less the items included in the original Box Set. #1 Why should we pay the HIGH $$ for Audio only? At least offer this version at a REDUCED price,not equivalent. #2 It would be Democratic of Dead Net/David Lemiux to re-distribute more of this item for those of us who wish to Savour such a Gem. Marshall
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 1 month

I do try and avoid the criticism, but I can stay silent on this no more. Let's say the Box costs $150...The notion that this amount needs to be available each week until May is ridiculous. I can't speak to whether or not this is the truth, but if it is, it's unacceptable. Either please charge us when we order, or charge us before it ships. There shouldn't be a weekly test of your customers for 10 weeks straight to ensure the funds are available. And I hope to never meet the person that thinks this is a good business practice.
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

I agree Zuck. Just bill us when we order. I bet there is a very frustrated, Rhino employee I will refer to as Hal trying to manage this weird, unnecessary workflow. Honestly.. I'm a bit relieved to see you post. The FBI is in possession of a tainted/poisoned bottle of hot sauce delivered to a Chitown salsa bar. I'm sure it was meant for you and your band of nefarious, tape returning thugs. It purportedly contains the same radioactive poison manufactured by the Kremlin.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

Is why after holding true to their word about limited editions they finally succumb to the people whose word clearly means nothing to them aka liars.Maybe they don't do the Democratic thing because the are libertarian. No that's not right libertarians believe in the sanctity of a contract
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 1 month

Jim is quite right, and is obviously privy to Def-Con 2 intelligence. The Kremlin Habanero, aka Operation Duck Tamale, is proceeding according to plan. And if everything goes right, the Ghost of Dantian's Past will soon take human form, and deliver our box sets from the sky using Santa's Sleigh. Until then, I'll be looking up...
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

...at what they do, but they are the only ones who do what they do. We are captive to their crappy business practices as long as we want these products. The nice thing is that the pain of the purchase process will melt away long before the pleasure from the products ceases. Umm, right?
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

Amen brother. I do feel for those on shakier ground. I would follow through with Customer Service / Doc Rhino and hope some the returned boxes get in the hands of their rightful owners. Honestly.. I have had to go through the customer service route twice, and both times they did make right. Hang tight all, and best of luck.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

I am currently studying the philosophy of Buddhism with a Zen master. He would say the example of stress involved with the ordering of Get Shown The Light is a perfect example of the perils of "attachment." To attach your sense of worth and happiness to ordering and receiving a physical product is misguided and shallow in the extreme. Totally without wisdom and perspective. I say to hell with that! I want my box set and I want it processed correctly! Damn it! I guess I have a ways to go.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Doesn't really seem to be a real difference between the two. The difference is the book, which you can get on amazon and some notes. And being numbered. I guess I can live with that because it's all about the music.
user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

After purchasing The Light, and receiving an order number. Seven days later the money that was taken out of my account was then placed back in my account, by Warner Bros. WTF. No explanation, no reason.
user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

I am getting...old! I made comments about Grateful Dead SACD discs...I meant....HDCD discs. The older versions of OPPO played both formats...like the one I own. If you can find a good used OPPO dvd player on Ebay, etc., it might be worth your time/money to do so. Sorry for the error(s). If you see me posting about Grateful Dead concerts in Esperance, New York, you know it is time for dead.net to "cut off" my ability to post on this site. Again....sorry for the error(s). Mr. Pete--------> aging hippie
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

mhammond, that post is perfect. Actually, your humor and outlook have you well on the way to Zen Master status. As for the AME, I seem to recall other things that were going to be in the original box - besides the book, wasn't there going to be what sounded like extensive liner notes from someone? I didn't think I'd have to memorize what that page said... Anyway, I ordered the box, with all the attendant techbug frustration. If something happens to my order, when I have a receipt for purchasing the original box, I would not just accept the AME as equivalent, at all. If you got your order canceled, I would pursue this - they should definitely have a way to make that right in the form of reinstating your original order. It's too bad that the technical glitchery keeps taking over what should be a joyous discussion of the incredible music being released. PS - I got a new credit card in the mail - un-asked for - right after ordering this box. It's my same card number, new expiration date and security code. I'd love to start using it, because the strip on my old one sucks (but hey, everyone's supposed to have chip readers, right?). But I will most likely sit on the new card until my box arrives. First world problem alert!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 2 months

I have a question for those here. I have been trying to complete my Dave's Picks collection, for whatever reason I missed the first 5 Dave's Picks selections and began ordering at #6. So for the past year or so, I've been watching Amazon, eBay etc. On Tuesday I came across a third party seller on Amazon who advertised DaP Vol.1 for $239, while steep, it was pictured, purported to be a numbered limited edition and factory sealed. This is the cheapest (not that the word cheap even entered my mind on this potential purchase) I have seen it. So, I pulled the trigger and bought it. A few hours later, I went to my order history and found out that the seller confirmed a purchase of DaP Vol. 3, I responded immediately that I did not order that volume. Withing 5 minutes of my email, I received a text that Vol. 3 shipped to me first class and a tracking number was provided. That was followed by an email from the seller stating they were certain I ordered Vol. 3 and they honored my purchase. I am appealing this to Amazon. My question is, am I losing my mind or is this a "bait and switch" tactic. Has anyone else experienced this? I went back to Amazon and looked for DaP Vol. 1 offers, on more than one occasion after clicking the hyperlink for Vol. 1 another random Volume shows up in the description.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 2 months

I believe the notes in question were to be provided by Nick Merriweather if my memory serves.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 11 months

In pursuit of efficiency and possible savings we are run through another wild purchasing process. My card was not charged initially. I have a confirmation number. My order was pending until this morning; I am now listed as processing. I hope in this process, that my card goes through. This chaos has become the norm on the big ones (E72, TTATS, the current box). Maybe this is just a bit of Jerry's thoughts that they never really nailed any of the big ones in concert... We will all make it out of this alive. Anyone who really wants the music will have it in their hands in any number of formats. The system is a mess, just like many other systems in our current world. Relax and hang in there. It is going to be an amazing May with all the upgraded tunes rolling in.
user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

in and out, in and out, what does that sound like to you? My wife commented and said "sounds like a good F**k job" I laughed hard on that one. So, who knows if you got an order in or not, obviously they are afraid that people will get the shipment and then cancel the payment, keeping the box for free. I would and not feel bad about it at all. I mean, they seem to have turned into the 1% who are ruining this country. Who would have thunk it. Laughing all the way to the bank. They should have entitled this one, don't get shown the light even if you look at it right, or order it right. Cosmic ButtF*8K if I ever did see one. Did anybody else hear the news? White house to crack down on Marijuana laws. So glad I did not invest in any of those grow houses in the legal states, cause these guys mean business, will swoop in and arrest all,take all the money and pot and leave you with a "smoking crater" so watch out out there folks, we don't need a time machine, we are going back to ronnie's and nancy's days of "just say no, or we will destroy you". Here's another one, white house to up nukes, says we will be the leader of the pack. Pack of what? Murderous rednecks? No political rant, just the facts. God save us all.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

239 for DaP1 is actually an awesome deal...But you should clearly see in your order history the description of the item you ordered. One thing with Amazon... you can return it. Even on ebay, there's a return policy. No matter what happens, you're not out your money. $239 for Volume 3 is overpriced and I'd definitely return it. I will say that you definitely have to be careful that someone matches the picture of the item to the item for sale. People mess up. I did have once where the guy had a picture of like 6 road trips discs, for $70. I jumped and bought it... he said "oh sorry, it wasn't for all 6, just 1 of the 6" I quickly canceled that transaction. It could just be a case of wrong picture w/ the description. Worst case scenario, return it.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 2 months

Brian, Thanks for the input. I just looked at Amazon for DaP Vol1 there is a 3rd party listing for the disc at $273.99, with picture of artwork and Mosque show clearly displayed, for shits and giggles I clicked purchase and sure enough Vol 3 showed up under description, so I know Its not my imagination, buyer beware...
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

They may be the master of their zen, but that doesn't mean that their zen is the right zen for you.Find your own zen. I find mine by listening to GOGD concert recordings. The question is, are those zen masters masters of their domain? :)
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Take a screen shot and send it to customer service.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

You can still find the original page if you type "Get Shown the Light" into the search bar at the top of the page. Here is what the original page has in terms of "extras": Four Complete Shows on 11 discs • 5/5/77 Veterans Memorial Coliseum: New Haven, CT • 5/7/77 Boston Garden: Boston, MA • 5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY • 5/9/77 Buffalo Memorial Auditorium: Buffalo, NY • Sourced from the Betty Boards, transfered by Plangent Processes • Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman • Artwork by Grammy-winning graphic artist Masaki Koike • The unreleased book Cornell ‘77: The Music, The Myth And The Magnificence Of The Grateful Dead’s Concert At Barton Hall by Peter Conners, published by Cornell University Press • In-depth essay by noted Dead scholar Nicholas Meriwether • Producer's Note by David Lemieux • Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 15,000 • Release Date: May 5, 2017 Peace
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

OK I'm looking at that amazon listing nowthat's odd.... Dave's 1 Has a top part (used and new) and a bottom part (used and new). Best suggestion, click the album title, that brings you to the listing. then you can see what people listed.. used/new/collectible. I hate that collectible listing description. that's stupid. anyway, that way you're sure the wording goes w/ the listing. the DaP1 on there, you have 4 listings... starting at 699! ouch! MuzicJamz is the seller, he also sells on ebay. that listing is used, and sorry, 700 is overpriced by about $300 on a used copy based on the market. He's also got a complete set...also overpriced by easily $1500 The other 2 sellers I'm not familiar with but they're too high too. I'd suggest assuring the wording all matches up when ordering. I did get the link to Dave's 3.. but it was by clicking the offers from $239.99 in the bottom of the link... must be something about "related items" or something
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

ok so here's what I think is happening. On amazon you put Dave's Picks Mosque into the search. You get the listing.... with prices to the right. prices on top... a solid line.. prices underneath. Seems the top is the item. Second/bottom is "related items". If you search Dave's Picks 2, scroll down you will see a 1990 Box Set. $900. OUCH! Overpriced!!!! But it has the same thing... top prices... solid line... bottom prices (less). Click the bottom, you get Spring 1990 TOO. So it seems in those cases, top is the item, bottom is related. I looked at my seller account, I can't see where you can list an item and list other choices or link it to another item. This might be an Amazon thing... based on "people who bought this also bought"... because on those items I see the top says prices, and the bottom says "more buying choices". I think that's misleading honestly, I agree with you. But I think that's what's happening.
user picture

Member for

15 years 3 months

Guess State's choice and will of the people (democracy) is only valid when it supports one's argument. Let's see - the AG from WA stopped the immigration executive order; Million of illegal voters voted in CA; Liz Warren is from MA. What did ME, CO and NV do? Oh yeah, they did not vote for the winner... Hope the WA AG takes it up in court based on tax revenue / economic argument.
user picture

Member for

10 years 5 months

I hear ya bro! This is exactly what happened to me. I refuse to pay the same for less and am disgruntled w/ gdp and rhino for this sloppy roll out. Why should I have to order the AME and then order the book on Amazon for another fee just b/c their system was down (and still miss out on liner notes and numbered stamp) I tried every day and 5x on sat until I finally gave up and then called on Mon morn to find it sold out. For $100 I would be happy to buy the AME as I could then buy the book w/ the rest of the dough ... but not for $139. That is an insult to my intelligence, I am not a teeny-bopper and this is not the new Taylor Swift record. Pay more for less - I am starting to believe that was their plan all along. They make more dough that way b/c it clearly costs them less to make the AME. As the Buddhists make clear, all this attachment just causes suffering, maybe I should give it up and meditate on archive also, about the amazon/Dave's picks vol 1 dilemma. (the guy who ordered vol 1 for $239 and vol 3 was shipped by seller instead) Cancel the transaction immediately and refuse the package when it comes and it will be returned to sender (meaning you have to tell the postman that you do not want it and to send it back unopened and he will keep it and return to sender, there is some way to prove you refused it as well, ask the post office about that.) Also, if the seller is difficult about it, report him to amazon right away as he is being fraudulent. They will refund and give you a claim/ticket # and also will rail on him. It sucks that they are so expensive! I missed out on Dave's 1-4 and it looks like I will never complete my Dave's collection... o well ... time to go pure Buddhist and let it go :)
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Please send me a PM with your order details so we can straighten this out. Thanks! Sorry for the hassle.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

It used to be that when one pre-ordered an item from here, one's credit card was charged when the item shipped, typically a couple of months after the announcement (and the pre-order). At a particular moment, this changed. I cannot remember what the item was, but it was a box set which cost quite a lot. When it was announced on here, I pre-ordered it and my credit card was charged straight away. I was naturally surprised by this turn of events and contacted Dr. Rhino for an explanation. He was very helpful and in his reply he basically said that they had experienced problems with the payment-at-shipping-time system. They would ship the item then discover that the card charge was refused due to insufficient funds etc. This occurred in a sufficient number of cases that they felt obliged to change the system to charging up front. This later mutated into the system of checking the availability of funds at order time and this occurred with many orders that I placed. At order time, the charge appeared on my credit card account, a few days later it disappeared, then at shipping time I was charged for real. I never experienced any problems with this. Since Warner Elektra Atlantic took over the ordering system, however, all sorts of problems seem to be occurring with dire consequences for the orders concerned. That a check would seem to be required every week for the next three months seems quite absurd and would seem likely to exacerbate the current problems. What the solution to this is, I don't know, but if they made it clear that pre-orders would be charged at the time of ordering and the funds were duly taken at that time, I don't think many people would be too upset about it. At least it would remove the uncertainty that currently exists - and the inherent stress that results from that uncertainty.
user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

The key is with the Feds to loosen up/ As long as it stays Sch 1. there will be trouble.Ironically did you know in 1972 Nixon was told to decriminalize or back down, but being afraid he would lose the election, he passed. Nixon was told, you will have jails and prisons filled with non violent offenders for pot. He passed! Maybe one day, but until then as Bobby said in Lakeland in 77 on DiP29. If you're doing something illegal, be aware the law is looking for you. All over a little herb!! Crazy Crazy............
user picture

Member for

16 years 2 months

Hi Mary---just sent you that PM with my order number, situation, etc. Ty! Best, Rob Drapeau
user picture

Member for

15 years 3 months

More death, violence, health issues, employee non-productivity are due to alcohol than weed. What medicinal values does Tobacco offer? Weed a gateway drug to H? I think Dr's legally prescribing opioids like candy have contributed more to the opioid/H epidemic than weed. But if one wants to look strong against drugs, no easier statistical win than go after something a significant minority enjoys and pad their stats on the war on drugs. Wouldn't it be better to legalize it so there's tax benefits and take it out of the hands of the cartels? I know I'm preaching to the choir, just needed to vent...
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 2 months

That is exactly what I did, just shoddy that when I pointed out the discrepancy they mailed before they read my questioning the product. I will not open package and return to seller, musicjamz or some such seller. Amazon is aware, I also notified Visa of my dispute over the charges. God almighty life was so much simpler when Jerry was alive and all I had to worry about was making labels for my Maxell UD-XLII's... I miss Jerry....
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Thanks nergelis and That's Otis! So the AME is missing the book, essay from Merriweather and production notes from Dave. And the packaging (I love the aesthetic of these May 77 boxes). My feeling - just for me, not saying anyone is wrong for feeling otherwise: -- If I missed the preorder for the original box because I was on a trip or something, and then found out there would be an AME, even at the same price, I'd be thrilled. -- If I ordered the original box (as I did) and then it was canceled and I was told my only option would be to buy the AME at the same price, I'd be pissed. Ain't humans funny?
user picture

Member for

11 years 11 months

Hi Marye, I too sent you a PM with my cancelled order situation. Thank you in advance!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 2 months

Windows is now warning my laptop that dead.net is an unsafe website. Not surprising in view of recent events.......
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 2 months

Windows is now warning my laptop that dead.net is an unsafe website. Not surprising in view of recent events.......
user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

It appears that simultaneously with my original order, my credit card # was stolen and used in Oakland. True fact. VISA caught it after two transactions (only $200) and stopped the card, preventing 10 other attempted charges in the thousands of $$. Yesterday, got the new card and immediately called dead.net to tell them what happened, to ensure the order remained good. So, guess what? Despite a confirmation # on my initial order, and my call yesterday, the Warner $ computer reached out to check my card and found it was blocked. Thus an email today cancelling my order. I'm pretty sure the website problems also involved hacking and exposure of our financial data. At least that appears to be the case in my case, though one cannot be sure until VISA completes its investigation. Just sharing because a) I may not be alone in this snafu, and b) cuz I'm bummed! Yes, I emailed our friend marye on this and let's see what happens. I think they need to straighten this out before the next special release. Just guessing...
user picture

Member for

11 years 10 months

I have been reading up about cancelled or missing orders so I figured I should double check my order using my confirmation #. I almost had a heart attack as there was no proof of my order # on dead.net or proof of purchase on my CC. I was on hold with dead.net for 20 minutes (where the recorded announcement offered me a chance to purchase a Dave's Picks 2017 subscription) while at the same time I kept trying to find my order online. Turns out I found it via the Rhino site. So perhaps I was routed to that site when I purchased.
user picture

Member for

9 years

My confirmation also is from Rhino, I have been checking it religiously since all the horror stores have been coming out. Interesting today when I look the GSTL Box says processing and the record order (i placed separately) still says pending. I would hope if you have confirmation even if something went wrong with validating funds they will honor the confirmation. They have had some bad issues in the past but this one seems to be the worst.
user picture

Member for

16 years 2 months

The note that Rhino/Warner Bros will do weekly authorizations makes me nuts. How can a person work a budget if ya don't know when funds are coming out and when they fall back in? Not to mention the possibility of fraud alerts (as some folks have conjectured) if the same site repeatedly dings yr account. It almost seems like one might need a dedicated credit card just for GD music purchases. For me, I would have no prob if they just took the $$$ when the order was placed (like they do with the Dave's Picks subscriptions) and that's that. This temp hold stuff is BS.
product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/boxed-sets/may-1977-get-shown-the-light-all-music-edition-1.html