• 4,023 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    May 1977: Get Shown The Light (All Music Edition)

WHAT'S INSIDE:
    Four Complete Shows on 11 discs
    Four folios housed in a slipcase
    5/5/77 Veterans Memorial Coliseum: New Haven, CT
    5/7/77 Boston Garden: Boston, MA
    5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY
    5/9/77 Buffalo Memorial Auditorium: Buffalo, NY
    50-page book of liners and photographs
    Sourced from the Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings, transferred by Plangent Processes
    Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
    Artwork by Grammy-winning graphic artist Masaki Koike
    Release Date: May 5, 2017

WHAT DEAD HEADS HAVE BEEN SAYING ABOUT...

NEW HAVEN 5/5/77
    "Here is a prime example of the saying ‘the whole is greater than the sum of the parts’ … It’s called synergy and the Dead wrote the book on it.”

BOSTON 5/7/77
    “The music they laid down brought me places I had not been before.”

CORNELL 5/8/77
    “...the single best rock performance anywhere, anytime, by anyone.”

“There was just some kind of magical connection this night between the band members and the band and the audience - some texture, or some type of cosmic or celestial force is in the room.”

"This show is, was, and always will be Mecca.”

BUFFALO 5/9/77
    "...an awesome display of the Dead’s captivating power"

If you've been following this site for quite some time, then you will know we are often flush with hyperbole when it comes to our releases. We can't help it, really - for we, like you, are Grateful Dead fans above all else. Just like you, we've spent countless hours debating the merits of show over show, year over year. We've kept a watchful eye on your wish-lists and carefully considered how to make - excuse the cliché - your dreams come true. And once we've made our commitments, we are steadfast in our determination to conjure up those dreams fully-formed and nearly perfect. Sometimes these heights cannot be reached without physical and cosmic elements aligning, and that, dear friends, is why it has taken so long for us to bring you THE ONE and the epic shows that surrounded it. No need for even the slightest embellishment here, 5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY, has for decades, been THE resounding favorite; you've said it yourselves - the "holy grail" of Grateful Dead shows. Thanks to the passion and perseverance of Dead Heads like you, we are beyond pleased to finally be able to present this show and its brethren, the fabled four of Spring '77, in sonically pristine condition.

MAY 1977: GET SHOWN THE LIGHT is a collection of what is unanimously believed to be the most sought-after previously unreleased complete shows the Grateful Dead ever played. Collected, traded, and debated for decades, "the beloved Golden Trinity" of Boston, Ithaca, and Buffalo, along with their New Haven prelude, have inspired fans to "get on the bus," converted critics, and even garnered national attention (Cornell was added to the Library of Congress’ National Recording Registry). But until now, you've never really heard them quite like this!

The Dead is in the details... how serendipitous is it that the notorious Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings were returned to the archive just in time for the 40th anniversaries of these shows? Lovingly sourced from these well-reputed recordings, we invite you to experience four utopian shows just like they happened, to "be inside the music" as engineer Betty Cantor-Jackson intended. Whether you listen to each night on its own or imbibe the whole lot at once, we suspect you'll hear why every note mattered. Much like we were, you will be hard-pressed to determine which of these fine documents - will it be the understated but nuanced New Haven, Boston's festive fantasy vibes, the monumental catharsis of Ithaca, or Buffalo’s dreamy exuberance - is truly "the best." Does it really matter? We think not.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • daverock

Just to state the obvious, they are indeed fantastic records. I am half way through 5/25/72 at the moment - one that no-one really mentions. Probably because of the night after, which is a shame as it's a great show in it's own right. Curious "Good Lovin" - 14min 53 seconds, and no Pigpen rap - he just sings the opening the verses and the closing ones some 12 minutes later. In between we have spot on r'n'b jamming like no-one else.

• marye
    Fabian, send me a PM and I'll see if the Doc can shed some light here.
  • icecrmcnkd

Send a PM to Marye, she can help.

• fabianope
    Default Avatar
    Does somebody have problems with tracking number?

Hello,
    I've purchased the fantastic Lyceum LPs more than a month ago and still nothing arrived.
    I've searched for the tracking number done by the GD store on the DHL site but nothing appears.
    I've yet written to the customer helpdesk, but I'm curious if somebody encountered my same problem.
    Thanks a lot,
    Fabianope

• daverock

Excellent news ! I wonder if they will re-release other box sets in this format that originally sold out. Fillmore West 1969 is the one I sadly missed out on and would shell out for in a heartbeat.

• henryben

Since they sold out of the regular box set with all the bells and whistles, and had a huge demand, Dead.Net is selling an All Music Edition that "...only includes the 11 CDs in four folios and a booklet of liners, housed in a simple slipcase."

So, still the four shows, just without the special packaging and the unpublished book. This time, the order went through. Nothing on the website about this also being a limited release -- it's not numbered, but they don't specify if it's another set amount.

• howdydoody
    Default Avatar

will do! thank you.

• DaveStrang
    Default Avatar

You should ask on the Dave's Picks 30 thread…there's more people on there and very few if any on here…hope it helps.

• howdydoody
    Default Avatar
    I downloaded the…

Hi there,

I downloaded the ALAC of this digital download but when I import into iTunes it is not recognizing the artist or songs and not creating an album. For the same ALAC download for Pacific Northwest ’73-’74: The Complete Recordings Boxed Set it worked perfectly in iTunes. Why does this download now import correctly? Thanks if anyone knows or can help.

• marye
    they thought they were going for dead people as a marketing niche. Dead heads, dead people, I'm so confused... Anyway, they're gone for the moment.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 6 months

WHAT'S INSIDE:
Four Complete Shows on 11 discs
Four folios housed in a slipcase
5/5/77 Veterans Memorial Coliseum: New Haven, CT
5/7/77 Boston Garden: Boston, MA
5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY
5/9/77 Buffalo Memorial Auditorium: Buffalo, NY
50-page book of liners and photographs
Sourced from the Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings, transferred by Plangent Processes
Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
Artwork by Grammy-winning graphic artist Masaki Koike
Release Date: May 5, 2017

WHAT DEAD HEADS HAVE BEEN SAYING ABOUT...

NEW HAVEN 5/5/77
"Here is a prime example of the saying ‘the whole is greater than the sum of the parts’ … It’s called synergy and the Dead wrote the book on it.”

BOSTON 5/7/77
“The music they laid down brought me places I had not been before.”

CORNELL 5/8/77
“...the single best rock performance anywhere, anytime, by anyone.”

“There was just some kind of magical connection this night between the band members and the band and the audience - some texture, or some type of cosmic or celestial force is in the room.”

"This show is, was, and always will be Mecca.”

BUFFALO 5/9/77
"...an awesome display of the Dead’s captivating power"

If you've been following this site for quite some time, then you will know we are often flush with hyperbole when it comes to our releases. We can't help it, really - for we, like you, are Grateful Dead fans above all else. Just like you, we've spent countless hours debating the merits of show over show, year over year. We've kept a watchful eye on your wish-lists and carefully considered how to make - excuse the cliché - your dreams come true. And once we've made our commitments, we are steadfast in our determination to conjure up those dreams fully-formed and nearly perfect. Sometimes these heights cannot be reached without physical and cosmic elements aligning, and that, dear friends, is why it has taken so long for us to bring you THE ONE and the epic shows that surrounded it. No need for even the slightest embellishment here, 5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY, has for decades, been THE resounding favorite; you've said it yourselves - the "holy grail" of Grateful Dead shows. Thanks to the passion and perseverance of Dead Heads like you, we are beyond pleased to finally be able to present this show and its brethren, the fabled four of Spring '77, in sonically pristine condition.

MAY 1977: GET SHOWN THE LIGHT is a collection of what is unanimously believed to be the most sought-after previously unreleased complete shows the Grateful Dead ever played. Collected, traded, and debated for decades, "the beloved Golden Trinity" of Boston, Ithaca, and Buffalo, along with their New Haven prelude, have inspired fans to "get on the bus," converted critics, and even garnered national attention (Cornell was added to the Library of Congress’ National Recording Registry). But until now, you've never really heard them quite like this!

The Dead is in the details... how serendipitous is it that the notorious Betty Cantor-Jackson soundboard recordings were returned to the archive just in time for the 40th anniversaries of these shows? Lovingly sourced from these well-reputed recordings, we invite you to experience four utopian shows just like they happened, to "be inside the music" as engineer Betty Cantor-Jackson intended. Whether you listen to each night on its own or imbibe the whole lot at once, we suspect you'll hear why every note mattered. Much like we were, you will be hard-pressed to determine which of these fine documents - will it be the understated but nuanced New Haven, Boston's festive fantasy vibes, the monumental catharsis of Ithaca, or Buffalo’s dreamy exuberance - is truly "the best." Does it really matter? We think not.

user picture

Member for

7 years 7 months

First off, thanks JimInMd for the warm welcome. I think the topic of 1977 Dead coaxed me out of the woodwork. I've been perusing this site on and off for about year. These are the shows that I listened to before I first left home. After reading people's favorites, I thought I'd give 2/27 a listen. So now I have a new favorite.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 6 months

One of the better summer 1993 shows. I'm surprised it hasn't seen more love through the years.
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

http://relisten.net/phil-lesh/1999/4/17/days-between What if you told the world that 3 of the greatest live performances in recorded history occurred at the Warfield around the ides of April 1999, and nobody listened? While in the neighbourhood, see why this version falls within 55 of my favourite musical minutes, then stick around for the Dark Star re-reprise. Oh, and it's (they're) available for download gratis./k
user picture

Member for

12 years

agreed johnny...6.26.93 as weLL as 6.25.93 are 2 very underappreciated shows... vividly remember the massive precussion/drum-jam-out (not reaLLy a circle, twas too massive) by the underpass, like most years @ RFK, but was especiaLLy off the chain in 93, damn we had a blast @ those shows... Days Between: 8.22.93 - 10.18.94 - 12.19.94(!!) & 3.27.95 are aLL worth diggin... and, hope aLL were able to rock out to 3.1.69 yesterday, my favourite show of alltime... ♤
user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

I'll never forget receiving a partial boot (single cassette) of 4.15. Years later upon finding all the shows on the archive I was overjoyed. I haven't revisited them in over a year but, it's strange coincidence that a friend mentioned them last week. Love the Unbroken Chain and so many others (Alligator, My Favorite Things) from those shows. If only to have been in attendance. It was quite a statement of hope/comeback after the transplant {{{Cody}}}
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years

One of the first things that I found a bit disappointing about the "Get Shown The Light" boxset (although trust me, the disappointment was quite minor in the face of the prospect of finally having pristine remastered boards of New Haven 5/5 and Buffalo 5/9, my two favorite shows of the four) was that it was not a 5 show boxset that started with the simply masterful show on 5/4/1977 at The Palladium in NYC. 5/4 was the final show an excellent 5 show run at The Palladium (a run which one could argue helped the Dead solidify that "magical" communication that is so evident in the four shows included in "Get Shown The Light" that immediately followed The Palladium stand). Which brought me to a bit of a dilemma. Certainly the final show (5/4) of the Palladium stand is EXCEPTIONAL. From Set 1's massive and climactic "Mississippi Half-Step" > "Big River" high-energy opener, to exceptional versions of "Cassidy" and "Deal", as well as a Set 1 closing groove-fest "Dancin' In The Streets" which while not the penultimate version, is quite sensational featuring a tight but jammed out vibe which is very fun and ends Set 1 on a very high note while hinting at a special second set yet to come. As with so many May '77 first sets, each song is performed so tightly that even an "average" performance comes across sounding a bit above average simply due to the level of proficiency the band were leaving on display night after night. As for Set 2 of 5/4 at The Palladium (if you've never heard it) it is everything that one would expect from the four classic second sets of the four legendary gigs within "Get Shown The Light". Set 2 of 5/4 is simply astounding, starting with a typically excellent "Estimated Prophet", followed by the blistering and heaving grooves of a near-flawless "Scarlet Begonias" > "Fire On The Mountain" (a version just as legendary in my opinion as that of New Haven the following evening and approaching the level of 5/8 at Cornell). Next is a simply gorgeous, technically amazing, and soulful "Terrapin Station" which ranks in my opinion amongst the all-time best versions of this epic tune and transitions just brilliantly into a nothing short of phenomenal "Playing In The Band" > "Comes A Time" > "Playing In The Band" (reprise). This amazing sandwich further highlights the telepathic-like communication of the band during May '77 (and throughout their career) and a sense that makes one feel almost like the Dead were playing as if for their lives, such is the seriousness of this performance. The transitions throughout the second set are just exactly perfect and very intricate and adventurous in scope. "Playing In The Band" reaches quite far out levels of exploration (this show features tons of amazing playing by Keith) and some very strange tonal manipulation from Phil. Just as one begins to feel as if they're listening to something from '73-'74 the band eases just effortlessly into a nothing short of masterful rendition of "Comes A Time" (which is in my opinion played a bit better overall than the legendary Buffalo version from 5/9, but does not quite reach the soulful climactic finale of Buffalo, in part due to 5/4's fluid and rad, extended transition back into "Playing In The Band"). May 1977 was simply an amazing month for "Comes A Time"! Likely the single greatest month of performances of this timeless classic. After a patient, longer than usual ending "transition jam" of "Comes A Time", the band expertly and exuberantly conclude the "Playing" reprise, ending a sensational second set of the highest quality and a show which easily deserves to be spoken of in the same hushed tones as the four legendary shows featured in "Get Shown The Light". Which brings up my dilemma. Would it be better for 5/4 at The Palladium to have been included in "Get Shown The Light" OR is 5/4 better served as either an individual release (i.e. Dave's Picks, for example) or better yet as part of a potential boxset of the Grateful Dead's spring 1977 Palladium-NYC performances (4/29, 4/30, 5/1, and 5/3 and 5/4)? This run of performances is both of high quality but also, arguably, of huge historical importance due to what immediately followed this classic NYC Palladium run (of which the simply essential final show of April '77 on 4/30, which features an astonishing "Terrapin Station" encore following two sets of quintessential spring '77 Grateful Dead, was chosen as the FIRST volume of the Grateful Dead Download Series) So in the end, I have no clue if the powers that be will deal with The Palladium '77 shows in a manner as large as a multi-show set, however, I wish "Get Shown The Light" would have included the Palladium 5/4 as well making it a 5 show set. However, I'm quite thankful that "Get Shown The Light" is simply available...period. The four show included are shows myself (and many of you) have been listening to for years (in varying qualities, etc.) and are quite familiar with. To finally hear them remastered, taken from the actual restored Betty reels though will be a true pleasure...And as a Grateful Dead "missionary" (haha), I'm always looking to turn on those in my scene (mainly 70-80's heavy metal, punk & h/c, heavy psych, Krautrock, post-psych hard rock, and any mid/late-60's through the 70's indie underground releases) who have not yet become Dead fans. I think "Get Shown The Light" (in part due to the media coverage surrounding the long-awaited recovery and release of the Cornell reels) will serve as one of the best "recruiting" tools of any Dead release, hopefully bringing interest in the Dead to a new segment of music lovers. There are still shows from '72-'74 which I am much more excited about the potential release of (simply due to lack of full remastered, from the reels versions of high quality soundboard releases) than the amazing May '77 shows (which thankfully I've had quite good quality versions of), however the music on "Get Shown The Light" is simply SO powerful that I'm quite sure the release will cause an influx of new Dead fans. And in my perfect world, some of these new Dead fans will purchase a much needed potential Palladium-NYC 5/4/1977 Dick's Picks OR Palladium Spring '77 boxset... In conclusion, I hope you all enjoy "Get Shown The Light" as much as I know I will, but please do not forget 5/4 at the Palladium. It's a show more than worthy to stand side by side with the four shows which followed it....
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....you even made me feel a bit disappointed.....(commence shuffling of one's feet)

Member for

16 years 11 months

Seconding this one for a haunting Days Between ~ that swirls its magic around, then drops delicately into Good Lovin. Which they sensitively build before breaking into. (An inspired '93 show altogether.) The final Fare Thee Well show is a fine reading by Bob.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years

Yes, I really do wish 5/4 at The Palladium was included, but at least finally we're gonna have 5/5, 5/7,/5/8/, and 5/9. It's gonna be a blast hearing those classics with J. Norman masters off the orig. reels. There's gonna be new little stuff that those of us who've listened to those shows even on good quality CDs/tapes over and over for years are gonna notice. I can't wait to hear 5/9 Buffalo remastered!!! Going to be a real treat....But I still hope Dave picks 5/4/1977 someday!
user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

Sorry to the bearer of bad news but the only way Dick will pick 5/4/77 is if he does so from beyond the grave. Spooky. But, Dave is here man and he picked 5/25/77 for the first pick of his series, not the same date but excellent none the less. Cheers, its out there and its awesome!!!
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

evilyn - love your description of the 5/4 Playin>Comes a Time>Playin. Spot on. I agree it would have fit well with this box - more than it would fit in a Palladium box. That show has more in common with New Haven than with the other Palladium shows. For that same reason, I'd rather see an individual release of 5/4. Direwulf - How about a new series? 5/4/77 could be DPFTG 1 :)
user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

I wholeheartedly concur with the assessment that '93 yields some very powerful and poignant 'Days Between'; someone previously recommended the 8/22/93 Autzen Stadium show and it's a great choice: https://archive.org/details/gd93-08-22.sbd.nawrocki.562.sbefail.shnf/gd… This is a fantastic, very listenable show overall. A few observations: during Jack Straw, Bobby has some guitar troubles, so Jerry just keeps on blazing away while that's getting worked out. You can hear an elongated solo emerge and then Bobby jumps back in right before the final chorus. Also, TMNS is HOT as the first set closer and the Help > Slip!> Franklin's is NOT to be missed. Epic playing for the era. Also, I decided I must chime in on the Brown Eyed Women discussion as well. I am very partial to the version from 6/17/91 - an absolute MONSTER of a show (they need to officially release this IMHO). While a divergence from the prior eras for this song under discussion, this particular version really highlights each band member taking a turn during the elongated solo. Jerry tears it up, then steps aside, and Bruce has a few beautiful runs up and down the keys; you can then even hear Bobby step up and give it a go. It's very nicely jammed, fast paced, and brilliantly delivered. definitely worth checking out - but that is also just the tip of the iceberg for this show: https://archive.org/details/gd1991-06-17.137547.sbd.miller.flac16/01Eye… And brings me to my next sneaky slip-in: here's my Dark Star for the Day as well. Even though they never fully get into Dark Star proper during the show, the entire night is like one giant Dark Star Tease - it's all over the place: in between songs, Bruce teases it left and right. DURING some songs he also plays the melody countless times. So even though they never go full-blown, I'm still counting it as my Dark Star Today. Oh, and this doesn't even touch on the fact they OPENED THE SHOW with a 15 minute Eyes of the World - one of the best they ever did in the later years, or perhaps ever(?). The entire rest of the show smokes with too many high points to summarize. but definitely check out this show if you never have before; hell, even if you know it, its a beautiful diversion for Friday. Sixtus

Member for

16 years 11 months

4/24/78 (Dave's 7) 11/1/85 (Dick's 21) ~ my all-time favorite. First time I ever heard the song, and Jerry sang it right in front of me. Arrow to my heart. Sweet version, though, by any standard.
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

"Brave the storm to come" also includes one of my favorite performance of "Looks Like Rain" last year i thought this was going to be released as Volume 18 in Dave's Picks series. However, the Rhinos went with "Comes A Time" from 1976 Orpheum. So, maybe some time before this one shows up , but its going down. Probably with another bonus disc opportunity. Maybe Dave's Picks 26 and portion of something near same date. Most likely not included in May 77 box set #2 ? audio issues / problems with start of show. I think thats it. I really hope it would have been included in box set, new May 77 has 4 shows with higher price tag than box set with 5 shows July 78. I dont really understand that. Also July 78 art work is a little more pleasing on the eye for me. I like the hand drawn stuff, but i guess May 1977 has book and other add-ons to elevate price. take a spin people. sail, float and groove to this one 3.3.81 !!!!! F%CK YEA https://archive.org/details/gd1981-03-03.123978.sbd.miller.flac16/gd81-… "China Cat Sunflower" -> "I Know You Rider" 1981 Rocks !!!!!!!!!
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....yeah sixtus, you could say that. I was at that show. Was on the floor about thirty from the stage. Bobby did have some technical issues and disappeared back stage mid-song. I was at the perfect angle to see him go full on Pete Townsend to his pink axe behind the equipment. I mean, he smashed it to splinters. I remember Jerry glancing back at times laughing. Maybe a hundred or so people saw it go down, and it was epic. Made for a great Jack Straw though. The rest of the show was pretty good too....
user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

Excellent vignette Vguy; and interesting that you actually saw it all go down. Funny stuff - picturing Bobby doing the smashy-smash. The only reason I knew there was actually something going on was cause the first time I had heard this show, it was spun on David Gans' GD Hour and he noted that Bob Weir "had major guitar troubles" necessitating his stage departure. What he failed to mention was the old Pete Townsend treatment to which you reference. What an excellent back fill on that little detail. You were lucky to have been there; I've loved this show (and the preceding night) for a long time. Sixtus
user picture

Member for

13 years 8 months

A few people mentioned some problems with CC #s being stolen when this set was ordered. I found a sizable charge I didn't make on my card yesterday. Not sure if it was a problem that started with my GStL order or not, but be careful out there! On a happier note: Some people have brought up the Days Between from 3/17/93--thought I'd chime in. I was at this show and felt it was taking us to some very deep places indeed in set 2. Lots of the new 90s material in set 1 (I know some people don't dig this, so I can't see it being a popular Pick), but the set 2 sequence is hard to argue with: Crazy Fingers > PitB > Dark Star> Drums > Space > Handsome Cabin Boy jam > TOO > Days Between. The "Days" is indeed strong; I think this is the last time Dark Star and TOO were played in the same show; HCB jam is a treat; one of very few shows with all 3 major jamming vehicles (Dark Star & TOO & PitB). And then, of course, when I thought I'd never hear/see a crowd go crazier than 'heads do when the opening notes of Dark Star emerge, they broke out LSD for the encore. My jaw's still on the floor. Also, yes, whoever remembers the March snowfall, I've got that memory too. Was wandering around the parking lot with my girlfriend trying to find some friends we were meeting, and definitely recall frozen toes (never did find those people until after the show--they got some goodies in the lot that were not exactly as advertised, and serious confusion apparently set in before they made it near the entrance). Was this really 24 years ago? Was there ever a bad Crazy Fingers? Love that song ....
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 2 months

1989-07-02 Foxborough, MA ...PITB Crazy Fingers and Wang Dang Doodle to open the show....no there are no bad Crazy Fingers.....nor wang dang doodles
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Or, at least botched: 7-15-89 Deer Creek...
user picture

Member for

15 years 1 month

Rich was that the show from last year's Meet up at movies? Also why on earth don't they put Meet up shows available on deadnet store as dvds? The production is already done
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 9 months

after being told by Customer service 2/27/17 that the account would be charged in May, I made some other household purchases. Then the next day Bang! the pre-order is charged, My account is negative and my bank is charging me $50. While I'm glad that I don't have to pay in May. Just take the damn money the first time,send me a confirmation and ship the product when released. I am noticing this pattern with many online retailers. Charge, Remove charge and Charge again when the product is shipped. A confusing way to do business. ..Not a Fan of it.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 2 months

Yes indeed it was....those three tunes opened show, two days later they finished PITB in Buffalo with the reprise, then on to Philly for another killer show. Now 1989 was no 1977 by any means but that summer they were en fuego and Brent kicked major ass....at least at the shows I caught...There is no reason not to release, since they did the Truckin' up to Buffalo and Crimson White and Indigo for the latter two mentioned.....
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 2 months

How was the Deer Creek show overall? I got off the bus that tour before it hit Indy....I may need to torrent it if available....
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

YES, my shows were all 89-95, there was some good stuff in there (believe it or not). 3.17.93 was my favorite show out of the 50 or so I saw, minus the Spring of 90 stuff. Cap Centre (or Crap Centre as we called it) was almost always hot. But you had to REALLY watch yourself around the cops. 6.20.92 (RFK) was another under-rated hot show from the late era. End of the day I'm a 70's guy and really looking forward to this release. I thought it would take a week or two to sell out, so I'm glad I decided to order on day 2 (something just told me I should). That list of returned reels is amazing, hoping for a June of 76 box next year. Burns

Member for

16 years 11 months

I've voiced before, I think 3/17/93 would make a fine release. The new songs are a positive for the historical record (Eternity in the first set), and it's a really on night for Jerry. The last great one I caught. Don't forget the show opened with a 15-minute Shakedown. While DS, Playin', and TOO aren't epic lengths, they all add up to a lot of space jams (nice Other One buildup after 2nd verse).... And Handsome Cabin Boy adds extra magic to the festivities. (Broken record again, I knew the jam from 9/22/87 out of Space and LOVED the tape, but as yet didn't know it had a name ~ when they went into it at Cap Centre, I grabbed my brother and whisper-shouted..."it's THIS!" Shady Grove cleared it up a few years later ;) FZ unexpectedly covers it, too, on Mystery Disc.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 6 months

What a magical night at the Capital Centre! I thought the place was going to blow apart when Lucy started! And yes that was a hell of a blizzard in March of 1993
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

I was at the Richfield run 3/13 (cancelled) and 3/14. At the time, this was the first time I experienced any disappointments between my time of going to shows from '84 through '95. Obviously the cancellation was a bummer, but not much could be done regarding nature. The debut of "I Fought The Law" managed to only piss me off as being a booby prize for the hassle at the time. I was fairly critical of this show for years, yet I felt like the band finally showed up to play when they started into Terrapin > Drumz > Miracle > Stella Blue. The Stella Blue from this show is actually one of the best ever performed go figure. Years later when I came back to this show on the Archive, it was overall better than I remembered. Even though I didn't attend, the Rosemont Horizon run that preceded Richfield in '93 is solid and quite nice. Some of the best shows of the tour, and year of '93. I would not be opposed for an official release of the '93 Rosemont run.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years

Dear ever vigilant direwulf, I simply mis-typed Dick's instead of Dave's Picks at the end of my comment. Also, I'm well aware of Dave's first pick, the 5/25/77 Mosque show in Richmond. I've been a subscriber since that excellent release and received Vol. 21 a few weeks back. Usually I just refer to Dick's/Dave's Picks as DP's to avoid confusion, however YOU get the prize for recognizing the one time I mistakenly typed Dick's Picks. Congrats! R.I.P. Mr. Latvala, and thanks for all your work. Keep on truckin' Dave and please consider 5/4/77 at the Palladium for a future pick...or 7/18/72 Jersey City, NJ or 8/24/72 Berkeley, eh nevermind, you're doing just great as is Dave!!!!
user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

Hey Guys, thanks for bringing that up. I was at both the 8-21-93 show and the 8-22-93 show. I was way up in the stands on the Saturday and way down close (pretty close) on the Sunday. Indigo Girls opened up both shows and Ken Kesey read poetry on the Saturday. I remember this as a REALLY GREAT weekend with the GD. The shows were great, the weather was HOT and the vibes were good all around. Thank goodness for the shade off the stage part way through Sunday's first set. Ah, yes. So much fun!! Hard to believe it was that long ago. Like I say ... great memories from that weekend. Half a mile from Tuscon, by the morning light !!
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Finished up listening to this for the anniversary. Just a remarkable amount of energy, and the only reason I'm posting really is because it intersects with the guitar discussion. I love the Gibson SG Jerry used in those days. The first Cryptical notes say it all. Raunchy tube amp fuzz. Townshend played the SG in '69 / '70, and as any Live At Leeds or Isle of Wight fan will attest, Pete sounded great during that era as well, along with the Hi-Watt amps ("place is really jumping to those Hi-Watt amps...") I can see why Jerry moved away from the SG and into Fenders, given the direction the music was going. To be honest, I love all of Jerry's guitars in the 60s and 70s, though I'd be interested to know about his amplification in 1978, because the Wolf sounds much louder and distorted in '78 then in the '73 / '74 era when he played it. On the "Comes A Time" discussion - is 5/4 better than Dave's Picks 18, Opium At The Orpheum?
user picture

Member for

8 years

Posted this on the GSTL thread- might seem out of context there, so... Just wanted to touch on the parents and the Dead connection. About three years back, I was rehabbing my kitchen (tearing down walls and ripping up tiles.. all fun stuff) and my dad was helping with the project. He wasn't a construction guy by trade, but he was always willing to lend a hand with whatever project I decided to get into- he's a good man, my dad. Anyway, I put on DP 29 because it was a nice long listen (2 shows) and by the time we got to Row Jimmy (5/29)- he asked, "Who is this? Is this the Grateful Dead?" I said "Yeah. They're good, right." Without even looking up from prying up a floorboard, he said, "Always were." I looked at him and laughed and shook my head. He never played a Dead record that I could remember, and I'm not sure how much he ever listened to them, but he knew some great music when he heard it. We listened to that whole pick, and then I dropped DP 36 on him, and he loved fall '72 as well. I always think of that time whenever I put on either of those shows. I'm lucky enough to still have my Dad and Mom around- I think I'll have to send a few shows or compilations there way- really turn em on! Favorite '77 show- I think JimMD said this, but- the last one I listened too. (Although 5/29 does get a nod just because of my dad). Happy Friday to all you wonderful heads. Enjoy the weekend. My wife and kids are away, so I'm about to crack a nice frosty IPA, fire up some nice greenery and settle in with Dave's 21- nice and loud. Maybe sneak in a '77 or that 6/17/91 that Sixtus put out there- either way, life is grand, and I'm grateful!!!
user picture

Member for

12 years 6 months

**Days Between** Kate_C...THANK YOU! I never even considered versions from Rat Dog, Phil & Friends, Further, et al. And even better, you've introduced me to those "Lesh/Warfield" shows, and you're right, they are remarkable! Also,--rgergelis, Johnny361, Ace, and anybody I missed, thanks for your input, I'm all over it!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 6 months

I bought a DAT player at auction recently just got it back from my tech. All I have is Steely Dan from their 1993 tour which is nice. But I bought it because of my Dead connection in the past with DATs. If anyone has DATs they would like to pass on down the line. Let me know through a PM. I might have something to trade. Maybe we can work something out.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

I am a little late to the discussion, but 1977 is a tremendous for the boys (and lady). Back in the day of tapes I had many of the 77 shows. In this day of CDs and downloads I have many more. Recently I have been rambling a lot about 12/30/77, as there is a YouTube video of the whole show. I have been jamming to that a lot. Before that I was working through 4/27/77 as that is also a YouTube video. I have done a good amount of surveying the 1977 GD landscape over the years and it really does seem that the vast majority of shows are just top notch. Of course there are some that really take it to another level but it just seems like 77 is marked simply by damn good consistent playing throughout the year. I feel like 77 is different but certainly rivals 72 and 73 which damn good consistent playing was also the norm. Now I have to admit I have never heard 5/4/77, so I playing now. I got a feeling I am in for a treat. Yay!!!!
user picture

Member for

15 years

As a big fan of the 1990's version of the Grateful Dead, I am pleased to see some people discussing some of their favorites from the later years. I just picked up the Cap Center show from 3/17/93, due to the recommendation of several Heads on this thread. Thanks everybody. I'm listening to Crazy Fingers as I'm typing this. Jerry's taking his break right now between verses. Sounds great!!!! Hoping our minds will become more often and fond of the later years, even if there are some pretty rough patches throughout. I'm a big fan of Days Between, and it was nice to see some discussion regarding the song. One of my favorite versions is from 3/23/95-the jam out of it is intense. Looking forward to hearing the version from the Cap Center in '93. If anyone is looking for some other really good late era Dead check out a few of these little hidden gems (at least to me). 3/21/94- pretty well known show, but great 2nd set and possibly the best Stella ever 7/23/94- Great show all the way through-prankster vibe at this show and some Good Old Grateful Dead 7/31/94-underrated gem. New Speedway>Truckin>He's Gone (my all time favorite version). 2/19/95-wish a soundboard circulated. I listen to this show so much. It's great. Amazing Attics 3/23/95-lyrical flubs abound, but inspired playing. My favorite El Paso. Weird, huh? Rockin' Cold Rain too (Digital Dead) 3/30/95-Rock Solid Show. My all time favorite China Cat>Rider the jam in the middle is one of a kind. Huge Alabama Getaway first set closer and other treats. Also all time favorite LL rain 5/21/95-Pretty Well Known too. Jerry disappears after post-drums, but still great show 6/30/95-As Kreutzman says--"The last Grateful Dead prank". Great show. Need SBD. Famous picture of Jerry in the purple shirt with his hair blowing in wind is from this show (either Candyman or Bird Song). So many, all-time favorites. Rose colored glasses perhaps? Listen for yourself. Anyway, feel free to chime in with your hidden gems from the later years. I'm always on the hunt for more, and setlists can be misleading.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Great thread the last couple days.. Great insights, bones and personal stores. ...and from what was previously referred to as the angry page. Go figure. Edit: Missed the antonjo 11/1/85 reference and personal story, so add Great 1980's to the great vibe mix. ..a show we shared and a Dicks Picks. I think the Richmond shows were the best of the 20th anniversary fall tour.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....pinch me, before Rod Serling wakes me up....and yes kevjones, any head worth his or her weight in grilled cheese sandwiches and kind veggie burritos would agree. Never, ever judge a Dead show by its setlist....
user picture

Member for

15 years

Yes folks. Find the China Cat>Rider from 3/30/95 at the Omni. Unbelievably epic, and fast too. Has a bluegrass feel to it. Totally different from any other version I've ever heard. 17 minutes. Is it the longest one ever? Play it really loud, and dance/shuffle around your living room and find out for yourself.
user picture

Member for

10 years

6 26 74 has the longest china>rider, it's 19+ or 22min+ long depending if u include the intro "jam". 7 12 69 is in my opinion the longest "standalone" ChinaCat.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....for tonight's listening pleasure, I cued up Autzen 8.21.93, because why not? Vince sounds pretty good on Walkin' Blues. The HCS was rough, just like I remembered it. The Lazy River Road sings....perfect tune to shuffle to....double clutching indeed
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Good choice with the Autzen Stadium show. A friend of mine procured an unauthorized box set of those two shows many years ago and have familiarized myself well with them. Huey Lewis added some nice harmonica work on that first night. The 2nd set from 8/22/93 is a monster from start to finish. Probably my favorite for '93. Really digging the Victim > Crazy Fingers> Playing in the Band D&S > Corrina > Playin' > China Doll from the '93 Cal Expo Road Trips release. There was some magic left in the band from this particular year. 9/13/93 Spectrum was one of the last of the truly great shows that had it all. A Jerry night.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....the fog lifted in my grey matter, and I recall this was the show where Huey Lewis sat in on harp for Schoolgirl and Smokestack. Yeah, they played those back to back in the nineties....Vince was on point all show....edit. I was typing this as Spacebro was acknowledging the same point....
user picture

Member for

15 years

Love to see fellow Heads jamming some 90's tonight. I've been a 90's bender tonight. I loved those Autzen SBDs when they came out. Used to listen to those driving from show to show way back once upon a time. Dang, so fun. Gonna go work up that Handsome Cabin Boy on guitar now. Once again, let's hear it for the 90's Final note: Listening to that Cap Center show from 93 a little bit tonight. The Other One is superb. Jerry even throws a few '69 style quotes in after the first verse. I always listen for those when I jam out to latter day Other Ones Dave, you listening? One other final thought: I always thought that when the Dead were on in the 90's it was as good as anything from the previous 25 years, maybe even better at some points due to the diversity of material they played those last few years.
user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

Preach it Brother. Right on. I'm probably biased, given my first show in the flesh was summer '90 but I do love the 90s. And I especially hone-in on and agree with your 'diversity of material' detail, which is extremely important. They had access to their entire repertoire in the 90s. Bust outs happened. That made every night double super specially potentially exciting? It always had a mystique about what the night could offer. I'd take it back any second. Sixtus
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....the first day, my friends and I were sitting in the stands towards the back of the stadium slightly stage right when we heard harmonica. Was it the acid? Fellow heads around assured us it was not. Word of mouth travelled back quickly from the floor that it was Huey. Giggles popped up. Really? Huey Lewis? Those giggles dissipated into awe as he just tore it up. The next day we promised ourselves that we NEED to be closer. It paid off with the Bobby meltdown. Totally worth the price of admission....p.s. Sports is a great album and The News made some great videos....just ask Christian Bale. (pop quiz)
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....has Truckin timed at 27 minutes. My grey matter doesn't recall it being that long. I'll check it out, and check back in in 27 minutes....edit. it wasn't. 8 min before Schoolgirl joined the party. Get em Huey! All good tho...tracking totally off, as am I....
product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/boxed-sets/may-1977-get-shown-the-light-all-music-edition-1.html