• 7,827 replies
    marye
    Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Oroborous

W i n t e r Spring 69

The rainbow ballon band lol

This round I hit every available show that I hadn’t heard before, plus rehashing a few official release ones.

For various reasons, I wasn’t able to get as deep as i usually do, and sometimes the lackluster recordings made it harder to get to the goodness, but usually I at least caught the standout moments, both good and not so good.
    The overall consistency and repetitiveness actually makes it very hard to decipher subtle differences, so combined with my lighter digestion, I wouldn’t say this is a comprehensive consideration. More a go fast and hard and see what stuck approach.

Overall I found almost every show at least good, and don’t recall clunkers.

I had heard January seventeen via Doc on POTD, and the Aoxomoxoa 50th bonus stuff, but rehashed all that in order to get a good reference starting point.
    February 2, 4, 5 and 6 were next, getting seemingly better each night, while noting the fierce Stephen 11 jam on the 5.
    The very fine shows on the 7 we’d enjoyed on POTD via Doc, so skipped
    Same with the Fillmore shows on the 11.

Did hit another hot one on the 12th, though not sure which show, but man it has another scorching Stephen 11 jam!

Followed with the good first night at The Electric factory, but perhaps a step behind the awesome next night previously dug via Doc on POTD.

I skipped the RJ level goodness of the 2 Dream bowl shows, but I did rehash the whole FW run as I’ve never done so completely and in order before. Sigh, words can not convey…

Skipped the previous POTD Doc choice on March 15 (another top shelf) so next up was an equally wonderful outing on the 22 at the Rose Palace. The tape takes awhile to settle but don’t let that stop ya!
    The 28 is another good but perhaps not great outing from Modesto.

I skipped Docs previous choice on the 3/26 and 4/11, along with the Avalon run.
    Again, goal was to hit unheard shows this time around…

February things really start getting unbelievable. Some of the newer songs that were ruff at best earlier, are starting to gel and the “Live Dead” stuff is starting to get more improvisational as their slowly shifting from the “keep it tight and right” for the recordings phase. The consistency is still very good but their starting to morph and explore more, and it’s easy to hear differences in this material, perhaps easier than back in February.

April 12 - 17 are absolute gold! Some of the recorders aren’t great but you must hear your way through that to fully appreciate some extremely fine Dead! The 15 especially got my attention! And I rehashed the 17 since previously my copy was not complete and to compare with the 15. I’d call the 17 the 15 if it was given the treatment. And hey, it’s just a little rain folks lol.

Skipped previous Doc 18, which I think is good, but just a tad behind the previous? Did hit the 20 with similar feelings.
    Though I’ve heard the Ark shows, don’t think ever did them completely in order etc, so rehashed and dug the hell outta those. I find the middle show to be RJ while the others are good, but perhaps missed it by that much?
    Same with the 25. I did the complete shows from the next 2 nights as I’d only heard the DP before. Really strong like all of April but maybe a tad off the peak of a week or two previous?

May is still good, but felt like they peaked and were moving on again with more new material and increasingly longer shows (earlier there were many one set shows, though some of that might be incomplete recordings too)
    Checked out the Sierra college on the 3, kinda weird?, and perhaps even weirder vibe at the Polo fields on the 7. Another beauty at the Rose Palace again on the 10 with a very awesome Dark Star!
    Perhaps the best of May I heard this round was the next night at the Aztec Bowl, followed by perhaps the only dog in the bunch, Moraga on the 16, which I rehashed since Doc mentioned it again lol. More weirdness lol
    Skipped the awesome RT FLA shows, but continued with May 29, 30, and 31st.
    All were good, but the recording was ruff on the 29, and the 31st was perhaps a step above due to the a shenanigans and what not? Yet More weirdness lol
    Finished off with the weird June first show? Was that a show?
    Previously hit the fifth so next up will be the June FW run, but I’m way to burnt on this music for now. I’ll check out more, including the 27 and 28 that BTK has been suggesting…but first, full random cleansing Oxford 88, 5/14/74, 49, and anything else lol. Then, probably starting next week, going to do May through July of 79.
    Onward!

• TN John

Hampton Coliseum
    Hunter Seamons matrix on the archive.
    This is a crisp sounding show with a fantastic set list.
    Peace

Edit: Brent's high in the mix, and playing some really trippy shit.

• dmcvt

Jim, great job there channeling HF. I live close enough to a college campus to know whereof you speak. And I worked for that college for years, so... was with the cosmic spirit yesterday. We drove up to the Canadian border, near Newport, Vermont, found a high bit of snow covered pasture on a dirt road with nearly 360 by 180 horizon to watch. Deep in the sweet spot, totality lasted over three minutes. Had seen partials but now, I get why people will chase totality, way beyond spooky cool, epic. The farm animals made noise as it got dark, then were quiet. Roosters crowed like it was the break of day. It got cold suddenly and the light on the far horizons 25-30 miles away was rose and gold. The ride back was ridiculous with traffic never before and never will be seen again for decades.

• Oroborous

Easy Jim

Just remember there Romeo
    Lovely to look upon, heaven to touch,
    It’s a real shame they got to cost so much…

But you already knew that ; )

JK, glad you had a fun day!

Forgot how much I love 5/14/74,l

• JimInMD

Did not make it into Fur Peace. Had to drive by it, they must have been busy.

Pretty chill college town, nice view of the eclipse. All is good. Did listen to 2/27. It is one of THE classic dark stars. Sunny day in the 80's. Man that town can party.

There's a time and place for everything, and it's called College. Unfortunately, I am at that age where I politely look in the other direction but man.. Well.. there is nothing like the women on a college campus on a sunny spring day with weather in the 80's. And with eclipse glasses on, they can't really tell exactly where you are looking right?

Edit: Did I say that out loud? In my defense, you can't really see anything with eclipse glasses on, right?

• Oroborous

Check it out dude, Jorma won’t bite.
    Hey, worst is their not open, no biggies, but if it is open, it’d be cool to meet him.

Hadn’t thought about eclipse, guess I’ll go 5 fourteen seventy four

Finished my w I n T e r spring 69 run. Just have to find the gumption to battle the evil HN lords

• 1stshow70878

During the totality.
    They will never suspect it.
    Escape with the banana boxes into the darkness. Then release the reels!
    Cheers

• DeadVikes

I am in on this show.

Be careful out there Jim.

• JimInMD
    I don't know, I guess so, nothing holding me back.

I think we have about 90 to 95% totality where I live but I feel compelled to drive a little closer to totality. The last Solar Eclipse I saw was in the late 70's or early 80's. We were instructed to build these lame ass shadow viewers so we would not go blind. So very disappointing. This year we are not expected to have complete sun so I have to drive a bit to get to partially cloudy. I guess I will go, why not?

So whatever you want to listen to tomorrow go for it, but before you decide, consider something with a melodic and meaningful Dark Star to suite this auspicious occasion. I rarely reach for this one, but I am bringing 2/27/69 and just a little extra something to make it interesting even if the sun don't shine.

I decided to stay away from interstates (they will become parking lots) and try to head West from where I live using mostly back roads as the highways are already packed with eclipse travelers. Due West seems to have the least clouds and closest to full totality. It's morel season here now so there's that also. When I look on a map, this logic takes me right past the Fur Peace Ranch, anyone ever heard of that place? I doubt if they let me in, but that's about where I am heading, if the place is locked I have another suitable place about 20 miles Northeast that should work. I figure I can get there and back in time to catch the game tomorrow night.

Seems like a noble adventure, what could possibly go wrong? 2/27/69, a solar eclipse and just enough jungle juice to make it interesting. Who's with me?

• uncle_tripel

...a GOOD time for NOV '73

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months
Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.
user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by bluecrow

Good to hear from you Bluecrow.

Under the radar is right.

I like this show, short, great sounding Bear recording.

Nice China Rider to Start, bummer that Dire Wolf was cut. What a finish with the full Other One suite-Dark Star St. Stephen into Lovelight. Fantastic. You can definitely hear the difference with TC in the mix

Interested in what you all think.

Looking back at it, I think 2016 was an interesting year of releases, very unique.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Howdy BC!
Nice to see ya!

1/23/70, another neglected beauty!
Wanted it so bad I actually forked over on the black market (and worth it!)
Haven’t heard recently or enough! Good call!
So tonight I’ll need to try and squeeze 11/17/71 and 1/23/70, and what ever else I’m delinquent on…

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Good to see you too Senator!

Been so long this is like random arrival of a new primal DaP in the mail.

Really really fine stuff. Yes, nice call DV!

...to 1/23/70 and the little scooby snack from 1/24 just because. This one's a sleeper and a keeper. Perhaps it slithers under the radar due to 2/13 and 2/14 Fillmore East and the May shows at the same venue, but it's got everything going for it. A great recording, a big jam sequence, some rarities and high octane rock and roll. It's got an odd little set list and not quite the momentum you often see with the first set, second set structure but it's a powerhouse and a great release. That's Your Groove is right. Love 1970 GD

Thanks DVikes.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

1/18/78 ? Ok, not sure I see this as a pick but it’s on his “possible” list.
11/17/71✔️ Man what a year, they just keep getting better and better.
11/20/71✔️Digging the TOO weirdness and jams that are starting to become common again.
1/23/70✔️
Gonna hit that 1/24/70 today and???

Jim pretty much hit the nail on the head about 1/23/70. Yeah I really like that one! Good call!
Worth black market purchase!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Really enjoyed CD 1 from Dicks 30. Just picked that up from Real Gone.
Going to wait until I have time to do full 3/28/72 though.
Maybe I’ll hit some Louie 73 later?

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I am definitely up for a pick. Let me know the verdict OB.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Hit 1/24/70 fer a tasty snack, onto 10/29/73!
But if you need something later, I still have a list of BC and others suggestions?
This week while on doc train layover might look at some of Dave’s “list” again.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Sounds good man.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I started on the new box today too.. hitting my second listen. I finished 12/9/71 and on to 12/10. Yummi.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Indeed. So far the 71s have been the wild card/standouts, they sound sooooo good!
10/29 besides the sweet psychedelic TOO hasn’t fully resonated yet. Of course it’s neighbor is hard to complete with.

Hey GO VIKS!
Feck off AR!
Hey man I needed something to make up for Bu fa fa lows embarrassment.
Still feel kinda qweezy KOONTS!

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Yes, it is always amazing when they pull one off against the hated Packers.. It was a great game. Sorry about those Bills OB.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Picked from Dave’s possible list while I work.

I’m worried Bills are done. Tuff road ahead…

EDIT: nice little show. Only heard while working and on a iPad so can’t say wether it’s a keeper, but I enjoyed it.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I had that on cassette in mid-90’s. I listened to it a lot. May have been the best sounding 84 I had at the time.

I’m currently listening to 6-14-84, which I don’t think that I ever had on cassette.

Started playing 1-23-70 in the car this morning. That should get me through this week’s commute.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Alright, I will be checking this show out tomorrow. Looks like kind of a historic show. Looking forward to it. Thanks Oroborous.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Just reading this. I'm intrigued and definitely hitting this tomorrow.

From a guy named Steve on setlists.net:
"This was probably the best show in the 6 night run. Great Smokestack jam in the 1st set. First performance of Gimme Some Lovin' (I think)."

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Always good to listen to shows you have never heard. Good show. What happened during El Paso? Couldn't figure out if it was something with the recording or Bob not remembering the words. Either way, it was different. Last Lost Sailor. I always really liked the Lost Sailor SOC pairing. Especially loved Phil's work in Lost Sailor. Nice Iko Iko and first GSL. HSF is good. Garcia is not in top shape at this point, but the show is still good and worth a listen. Thanks Oroborous.

Makes me want it listen to more Lost Sailor SOC.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Busy doing my 30 DOD and saw the last Lost Sailor was 3-24-86. It had never occurred to me that Sailor/Saint had been separated at that point with Sailor being tossed overboard as it were. It had some cool chord changes.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

I was there. It's one of my personal favorites. The looks on Phil and Brent's faces as they unveiled Gimme Some Lovin' were lovely.
user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

Thanks IstShow. More proof you can't believe everything you read. The show notes from the archive mention it was the last Lost Sailor. Hopefully they got the first GSL right.

Another good show for Marye in Berkeley. Must have been fun.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Best of Arlo Guthrie featuring Alice’s Restaurant!

Hope y’all have an enjoyable holiday!

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

It's a bit bittersweet.. I last saw Arlo on his 50th anniv or Alice's Restaurant in I guess 2018. He recently announced his retirement from touring.

I have seen him and his (I think) daughter and perhaps grandchildren perform many times over the last 35+ years. It was always a privilege. Small venues, festivals at local fairgrounds, reasonably priced tickets and good fun. Bittersweet. Emphasis on the sweet.

Happy thanksgiving all..

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

2 years 5 months

I've been listening to Ace recently through a new headphone/amp setup and really connected with aspects I never tuned into before. Such an important album in the GD cannon. The horn and string arrangements are amazing! I wish there could be a remastered 50th Anniversary of this on Vinyl would be incredible as well as other formats. Please remaster this gem Bob and awaken all the tracks to modern possibilities! Thanks for such such a gem!

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Hope you all had a good one. We have been traveling, but was still able to listen to 2/18/71. That Dark Star Wharf Rat Dark Star is still some of the best music I have ever heard.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

I'm in. I have an itch to revisit some of the official releases where I only have one listen post Normification. This is one of those releases.

We had a big family health scare this week. Several of us, me included, had an unexpected adverse reaction to an unknown chemical, perhaps tryptophan that set off a complex chain reaction ending in a full-blown, dangerous food coma. It was touch and go for a while.. we were drifting in and out of consciousness accompanied by extreme loss of focus.. uncontrollable drooling, slam snoring.. then miraculously.. we pulled out of it relatively unscaithed. Food comas are very dangerous and often occur this time of the year. There is a high potential for relapse almost one month to the day later. Be safe folks.. play dead.

Edit: Amazing and a great recording. I am going to expand this to all the remastered released shows from this run.. so 2/18, 2/19 and 2/21. I think that's it so far, correct?

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Glad you made it through Jim.
Interested in your thoughts on 2/18/71. I can't get enough of it. All three officially released Port Chester shows are so good. I guess they need to still release the last one left?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

and a Anchor Holiday Beer IV drip…
Phew, things were touch and go there!

Managed to squeeze an extra day at home, so trying to reintegrate “normal” activities.
Including first shows in a week!
12/1/71 and 12/2/71. Recordings are varied, but more tight shows, with Pig back slinging grease, including a rare Smokestack! Looking forward to hittin’ the whole Felt run as I’ve not heard all.
Ok, need to get out for a walk while it’s still so nice.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I was in Dane County and the Chicago area over the Thanksgiving weekend. Man, it is great to get out of your home base and see and experience other areas.

Can't remember if we ever hit this show but I saw it was yesterday's 30 Days and thought it would be a good idea. 11/23/73. El Paso.

Hope you all can check it out.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Dooaahh, just catching this now, sorta.
Spinning 11/23/73, which I won’t finish because of late start.
Will definitely finish asap as this is one of about only a half dozen from this tour I’ve not heard until now.
Through Rider, so far just another fine fall 73…

Did hit 12/4&5/71 earlier. Boy you can tell they like playing NY lol.
Still scratching my head about why Dave didn’t go with 12/5?
Going to hit those this WE.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Definitely worth a listen if you have never heard this. Great sounding recording. Not perfect, but not your old dusty cassettes either. Solid A- for the recording. Performance A.

Oroborous, I am definitely going to hit up 12/5/71 this week, really good show.
Another one worthy of an official release at some point.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Golly Gee Nov 73.. I'm still wrapping up my three night run at Portchester. Adding it to my Q. I haven't listened to this one in a few years.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Hey Jim, at least those Port Chester shows are short. Interested in your thoughts on the three.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Got an empty job site with tunes!
So hitting 11/23/73 from the start.
Sorry DV, no Port Chester at this time as I’m
A) still trying to hit all the 71 shows, and
B) getting a little burnt on 71 lol, so not ready to rehash YET!
But I did really dig those. Funny thing, I was not enthused about FTV III, until I got past my hang ups and dove into this 71 challenge. Now, it’s one of my year favs and definitely my fav of the run. Just that Smokestack alone does it for me!
Think I liked 2/21 next, then the 18th? Can’t remember my other preferences as I don’t have my Deadbase?
Great run of shows, but I can understand why they didn’t do a box since their not quite fully formed or as tight as they’d soon be. Meant, I think strong arguments could be made for other things being more a priority and with only one box a year it is valuable real estate, so might not have got as much love as needed?
I think he chose right doling them out separately?
I’m sure he’ll dole more out eventually.
Personally I’m good with 71 for now only because we’ve had several solid 71s the last few years.
But there most definitely more 71shows I’d like to see, eventually…

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Nice, I am sure you are digging the freedom. You have been a stalwart with Doc's 71 tour. Those Port Chester shows are all great. I still have 2/18 at the top of my list, just for that Dark Star, WR, Dark Star. It is unreal.

I still have 12/5/71 in the que for this week. I got side tracked with 10/9/80. Which has a recent Miller transfer from this year.

Would love to see Rhino put out some type of release in December to tie us over until February.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

never straight!

So, I know we’re fumbling around in 71 goodness, but do we want to throw something else in the mix for today and this WE?
Imma gonna hit Daves 22? 12/6&7/71 this WE, but how bout 12/8/73 if you want to stay in that neighborhood or perhaps 10/14/80 off of Dave’s “list”? since DVs been digging fall 80?
Shit this would have been a good time for one of BCs picks but the list is at home?

Yeah, seems like I remember lol, sure I do lol, that they used to work the holiday shopping season more BITD?
Seems like a quick one off or something to boost holiday numbers would make sense, AND feed our insatiable jones lol!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Going with 12/8/73 then…

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Oroborous

been a long long time but i seem to remember that wide-eyed bit of stage "talk" from a fan at 12/8/73. soon, soon.

mid-morning I had the need for an Eyes ca. '73 / '74, First one that fell in my hands was Selland 7/19/74 DaP Disc 3, floating free out of its Digi in a slim case. My freaking heck did that disc 3 sound good!!

2/18/71 - beautiful show, best of the run. Dark Hollow early on and all the others. (edit: oh wait - Dark Hollow is from 2/19, now I'm all confused. "I Like it all!!". 2/19 is really good.) had 2/21 spinning in the ride just past week.

12/5/71 - again been a good long while. "Should" have been released a long long time ago. Same excellent level, end of same year, as Porchester run, but we're in solid new territory here in only a 10 month span (not like that's a rare occurrence with the GD.)

After Hawaii 1/70 rewound to Thelma 12/69 (all of it but really, I mean what can you say, Alligator > Caution > Feedback>Bid You Goodnight) And today thought it was time for 2/2/70 DaP 6. Which IMHO is one of the great releases from the series. I'm paused in that right now just before the crazy good Dark Star > St. Stephen > Mason's sequence I first heard on cassette many years ago. 2/2 was one of many Holy Grail shows from before the days that the doors of the Vault had even (officially) opened. Also on that list 2/15/73. Like a few others here!

as for a few things on another list - maybe 8/24/80 Grand Rapids (audience only but a sweet one is out there) or a few nights earlier 8/19/80 Uptown, an excellent show that is still looking for a better source than what seems to circulate. Had a nice balcony audience back in the day. should have been there, saw Alpine right after. and 3 nights before Uptown the Mississippi River Festival (again audience only) which had a "you are there" write up in one or more of the Deadbase volumes, all lit up by an epic midwestern downpour cutting loose at the beginning of China Cat (IIRC). One of those crazy storm shows, middle of midwest "nowhere" sorta deal that some of us, yes from the midwest, wished we could have experienced in all its glory.

on another musical note - recently picked up from Owsley Foundation:

That Which Colors The Mind
Ali Akbar Kahn
Indranil Bhattacharya
Zakir Hussain

Absolutely beautiful release. Don't hesitate.

And while I'm typing this back to Dead and Co at Wrigley 9/18. Yep one of those shows.

Hoping for cold rain and snow in the dry Southwest. Stay safe and have fun. Onward!!

Oh yeah, DVs been banished from posting for being too nice lol

Found the notes I had with some of BC and other suggestions

and moving right along;

Hit 12/6/71 DaP 22 Friday night. Short but SWEEEEETTTT! Hot show!
Loving these strong first sets, especially been digging the first set Black Petes!
It’s a shame it got so formulaic later on. I like the structure of the later years, but the song slots got too predictable etc.

Trying for 12/7/71 today. Need to get 10/14/80 in, but might save that one for work Monday?

12/8/73: yowsa, how had I not hit this one! No secret I’m partial to fall 73 and especially those last 10 pure quintet shows. 11/23 was good, but I think I liked this one better? I’ve added the few remaining shows from this tour I haven’t hit yet to our list! 10/21, 11/1, 11/25, 12/12, and 12/18, but I’m holding out on 12/18 until they release it!

Ok, have many suggestions from various sources so hopefully we can massage our ears and check some boxes this week!
ONWARD!

Hopefully DV gets turned back on soon.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

What is going on?

Could not post since last Thursday. Very strange. Kept saying access to server denied.

12/8/73, yes Oroborous. Nice call.

10/14/80, will cue it up later today. The acoustic set is missing but sets 2 and 3 are there and they are really good.

Oh and Vikings lost to the Lions!

Yesterday was: DV, yer gonna love that 10/14/80. There is a version of the acoustic set and you should check it out!
Heaven Help AND Bird Song!
Then switch to the SBD Miller as it sounds good!
Nice long well played show! So far most of these off of Dave’s list have been promising.

12/7/71: more of the same 71 madness. And it’s Got a sweeettt Smokestack, the last until 3/25/72 which is the last Pig Era version. Smokestack is perhaps my favorite song from the whole 70-72 transitional period, and this version is another beauty.

2 awesome shows definitely made for a Grateful day, even if the VIKS pulled a Britney….”Ooops I did it again” lol.
Doood, as much as it’s hard being a Buffalo fan, I don’t know if I could handle the Viks ; )

Going with Bluecrows suggestion today.
It is an Aud but the Rob Eaton version sounds good so far.

Nice little show, not a burner, but worth a spin if you like 80!
Probably matters that I listened to that awesome 10/14 show yesterday?

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

New day, same issue. Maybe others are experiencing the same thing?

10/14/80 is still really good. Still hoping they find some two track recordings of this run. Doubtful, but we can hope.

What is next? How does that 8/24/80 audience sound OB?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Howsabout 8/4/79, First Tiger show? Think Billy the Kid was there?

DV, Not sure if you watched the game last night, but if so, you can see it’s no easy thang being a Bills fan either lol.
I don’t mind when your team plays well but gets beat by a team who plays better, but man it frosts my ass when they beat themselves, grrrrrrrrrrrrrr, idiots!

EDIT: 8/24/80 sounded decent, decent show, not mind blowing but not bad. Another notch in the proverbial belt.
I like a good aud so doesn’t have to be a SB for me to enjoy.

DBL Edit: DV, seems like others are having issues of one kind or another, elsewhere at least?

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Hey yes 79 OB, for sure in on that one. I won't quote the shows notes from the archive this time, but...... .
On the docket for tomorrow for me.

Missed the game last night but I feel your pain. At least the Bills are good.

user picture

Member for

2 years 5 months

I was there, fun show. The Dead sounded good in 1979. The Oakland Auditorium took the place of Winterland. They could have put a nice box set out with that whole December 1979 run.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by billy the kiddd

You saw so many great shows Billy. Lucky guy.

Yes, would love to see some box treatment from the Oakland Auditorium shows.
Besides the five shows from December 79, of which two have been released, they did five at the end of 1980, that would make an incredible box and show the band at a different period in their 30 year career. I hope at some point Dave starts exploring the early Brent days.
Okay, back to 8/4/79.

Lol, yeah, Billy surely has been blessed!
Perhaps he’s got some stories? Did they notice and/or know JG had a new axe etc?

Going to try and do the next night 8/5/79 today since were in that wheel house.