• 7,816 replies
    marye
    Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • daverock

I had this on a tape back in the day too. It was one of those shows where I was never quite sure if it was a very high energy show - or if my recording had been done at the wrong speed.

• billy the kiddd

Maybe they are saving it for a Greek Theatre Box set. Fun show, they played alot of my favorite songs.

• icecrmcnkd

Good stuff.
    Had it on cassette years ago.

• Oroborous

Hey Jim, think I might go 6 6 69 thru 7 7
    prolly starting next w e e k after my current 84 s w i n g
    Perhaps yee all might want a play along?
    Get the deer fired up!

• Oroborous

6/10/73, I too hit the last two discs and fully dug.
    It’s a shame DB wasn’t more comfortable with the boys and/or had more chance to jam. All discussed in one of those ABB books out sorta recently.

7/13/84 is a good 84 outing. Can’t believe it’s not been released being a Pinkus first show, and…
    Gonna wait till summer for that as I’m back in research mode, chipping away at the mother load!
    ONWARD!

Hit the 8&9 DV, you’ll thank me!

• JimInMD

I've only listened to 7/13 from this run, at least that I can remember. I enjoyed it. I'm going to dig in on the other two but 7/13 gets the most love.

• DeadVikes

I am in. I have never heard this show. Thanks Jim.

• JimInMD

I was thinking of the 7/13 show for the Scarlet/touch/fire because the arrangement derivation reminds me of the Frost Shows in DaP 49. I might do 7/15 for the PITB / UJB. Sometimes in this era the ferocity of Jerry's Playing is contagious. It's also got a late era non-disco Dancin' in Streets and Do It In The Road, a nice prelude to what we would see develop in 1985.

One last later era show and perhaps next time I'll go way back.

• DeadVikes

You call it Jim.

• JimInMD

They played part of the second set last night on TIGDH. I forgot how smoking the Eyes of the World was. Creative jam and Jerry was on fire.

Similar yet different, Dave's Picks 7 and 15 can cure what ails you (ales you?)

I enjoyed 6/10/73 too. It's interesting listening to Betts and Garcia play off each other. A once in lifetime occurance I guess, so glad someone hit record.

What's up next?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months
Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Short but sweet! I kinda dig the shorter shows. This era is so intense and brash, 3.5 hours might be too much?
But for certain situations I think 1:43 is just right!
Good sheet Mon!
Another cool pick.
Oh, what was up with the yelling “mofo” comments end of Rag on 2/21?
Hit m/o 2/22 for extra credit, I can see why they picked this one.
Need to muck about more in spring 69.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

A newbie for me, I enjoyed it especially the Dew.

Nothing wrong with a birthday show from time. I find myself drawn to them on occasion and it's easy to get sucked in.

The whole show was fun. As for Phil's poignant comments.. Just Phil being Phil.

Another few weeks of Winter brings migratory birds and Spring. Another one of my favorite seasons. Darkness Falls and Seasons Change.. Be safe, have fun, play Dead.

A new one for me. I'm in. I have to clean up some digital data first.

So what's the best recording? Looks like a bunch of audience tapes recorded in what has got to be one of the worst acoustic venues ever built, suffered through and ultimately (and thankfully) demolished. The Spring 90 TOO sure does sound good from this venue, however, thanks to some great multi-tracks and the wizardry of Jeffrey Norman et. al.

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

I have a really clean cassette of this show that I got off a community radio show (Lone Star Dead in Dallas) many years ago. It still brings me joy, and I'm not kidding about that non-stop second set.
On a side note: As Bob and the rest repeated "Sure don't know what I'm going for, but I'm gonna go for it, for sure",
the future Mrs. Big made a life changing decision which led to A) Her catching the Radio City run in October, and B) the two of us moving to Texas to seek fame and fortune. But that's a really long story. As you were.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Did someone say 1980?

For sure in on this Oroborous. Jim it looks like there is 2017 Miller SBD. I have never heard this show so I will get it going.

PT Barnum, just finishing up 11/7/71. Another great 71 show. They did struggle with equipment again to start. Thanks for the nudge. Great performance and the recording is really good. You have got to love the FM broadcasts.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by bigbrownie

Looks like there was a pure soundboard (if you can call it that) uploaded by Charlie Miller in 2017 that's ok. Lots of ambient audience noise pumped in. It was a challenging venue to say the least.. the roof is concave up, it curves up on the edges which muddies sound quality for anyone that's not in the first 15 rows.

And a trip down bad trip memory lane, who can forget the ahole cops on horseback there that seemed to love cracking hippies with the wooden hippie smasher thingamagigs they carried on their batbelts.

As someone that suffered through many a show at the Crap.. You could say I am not a fan of this venue.
Back to your regularly scheduled China Rider.

Edit: Looks like DVikes found the Miller I settled in on at about the same time.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

I'm in. One from the cassette days. I've enjoyed spinning this one many times before. I even recall the yellow j-cards I had for it. May still have it, but I know I've let oodles of my tapes find new homes over the years as I've upgraded to digital streaming, FLACs and Cds. Also, a precursor to 9/2/80 one of the better shows of all time. Part of a fantastic run for the boys. Enjoy all, I know I will... :-)

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

Is playing 9/17/72 in its entirety today. That’s my pick of the day!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by adedhed68

DP 23 Baltimore is a nice one with a terrific Other One. Lots of other goodies in there, too. I'll have to check that one out again sometime. Hey, at least we're in the same state of MD with our picks :-)

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

Baltimore ‘72 hit the spot today. All 3 hrs and 20 mins of it.
I have so much GD, sometimes I don’t know what to play, so on a day like this, I’m happy to let Sirius XM choose for me :-)

Aye... I offered a humble guess on this one. If it's a killer show to boot, perhaps I get some extra credit.

I caught a good bit of the Baltimore show on SiriusXM today too. I still haven't added metadata to the Fall '80 show yet. We will see if I get this done before it gets too dark.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by adedhed68

Started out with the 2017 SBD and switched back and forth to an audience. Second set seemed to sound a little bit better. These are all great shows and I would love to see Dave release some more. 9/3 and 9/4 from the download series are great shows as well and don't forget Lewiston from 9/6, super hot!
Good call OB, where are we heading next?
One guess down on the new Contest.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

All I saw was an AUD for set I. Maybe I'll have to look again.

Shoot, I am not touching the contest. No where near an idea for it yet.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

Yes, I go through relisten, it gives a bunch of different options. It looks like the 2017 Miller remastered version is still a remastered audience for set 1. I guess that is why I switched to a different option audience and went back to the Miller for the second set. Either way you slice it, would love to hear an official polished up version.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Hows aboutta 5/18/77, 8/30/83, off Dave’s “list” , or 6/25/92, perhaps a summer show on this snowy day?
Believe Conekid and others suggested the 92?

Edit: remember 8/30/80, which we hit, is on Dave’s “List”? Wish 9/2 wasn’t missing.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Where is this list from Dave?

I have never seen it.

I can't believe you are throwing out a 77 show. What is going on?

I don't know anything about the 83 show, but would be willing to give it a go.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Copied from OB on Dave's 35 thread via dead net search function with 'Dave's List' as keywords.

POSSIBLE LIST
-1/20/68 Eureka DS
-4/21/69 Ark DS
-4/23/69 Ark DS
-1/2/70 Fillmore DS - DaP 30 ✔️
-1/3/70 Fillmore p/o - Dap 30 ✔️
-9/19/70 Fillmore DS
-11/7/71 Harding DS
-1/2/72 Winterland
-8/24/72 Berkeley DS
-2/15/73 Dane DS
-5/26/73 Kezar (BB)
-6/10/73 RFK DS
-6/30/73 Universal Amp. DS
-9/11/73 W&M DS
-5/17/74 PNE - PNW Box ✔️
-5/19/74 Portland - PNW Box ✔️
-6/23/74 Miami DS - DaP 34 ✔️
-7/31/74 Dillon - DaP 2 ✔️
-9/28/75 Lindley - 30Trips ✔️
-6/14/76 Beacon (BB) - 76 Box ✔️
-6/15/76 Beacon (BB) - 76 Box ✔️
-10/3/76 Cobo - 30Trips ✔️
-5/18/77 Fox
-5/26/77 Baltimore
-11/4/77 Colgate - DaP 12 ✔️
-1/18/78 Stockton
-1/22/78 Eugene - DaP 23 ✔️
-1/15/79 Springfield
-8/30/80 Spectrum
-10/14/80 Warfield
-3/9/81 MSG
-5/16/81 Cornell - 30Trips ✔️
-8/30/83 Hult
-10/21/83 Worcester - 30Trips ✔️
-10/9/84 Worcester
-11/2/84 Berkeley
-9/18/87 MSG - 30Trips ✔️
-7/29/88 Laguna
-10/26/89 Miami DS - 30Trips ✔️
-12/27/89 Oakland
-10/27/90 Zenith- 30Trips ✔️
-6/22/91 Soldier Field DSJ
-9/26/91 Boston DS
-3/29/93 Albany HCSS
-9/13/93 Spectrum DS

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Sorry no lynx, ahem
Don’t recall it being too hard to find.

It was his maybe, possibly, someday wish list from the very start, before Dave’s picks etc?
He’s hit like 18 of the 45 (I believe?) shows off that list. Mostly Boxilla, PNW, 76, and DaP 2, 12, 23, 30, 34, and 41.
It’s interesting when you cross reference with ABCD returns etc.

77, hey, I never said I didn’t like 77, just not usually a go too. Just trying to be fair and cover just a little more ground!
But 83 sounds good to me!
Rollin

EDIT: HA! Good work inspector Jones!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

By my unofficial count, we’ve hit the following off of this list here on POT day.
4/21+23/69, 11/7/71, 1/2/72, 2/15/73, 9/11/73, 1/18/78, 8/30/80, 10/14/80, 3/9/81, and 9/26/91.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Looks like we're going to need another check mark to reflect Dave's 41... :-)

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Interesting list. I will have to track it down out there.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Another off of “the list”. I’ve heard the 21 and 25, but not the middle two.

8/30/83: not sure about this one? Was doing things so not fully engaged throughout, but recall some slop i.e., Lightning/Supplication. But there were many great moments too: Great jam outta Terrapin and an unusual Stones. The recording was all over the place too, including almost no drums/space. I’m guessing he has something better in the vault, but to me, releasing this one would be another head scratcher? Another case of good city and neighborhood but going to the wrong house? I think 8/27 and the Santa Fe shows vguy turned us onto are all better.
Interested in the Red Rocks shows, but I’ll probably save those for next year?
I’m also curious about Portland and the other Hults? But to keep things somewhat manageable, I’m putting extra emphasis on 82 and 92 this year, followed by occasional 67, 72, 87 and 77.
Next year it’ll be 83, 93, and 68, with 73, 78, 88…

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I dipped my big toe into 2/24/74 today and made it most of the way and the day is still young. My workday is manageable and with an ice storm moving in decided to get some exercise and brought tunes. Man, what a sweetie.

I have this a hard rain's gonna fall feeling. Oh where have you been my blue eyed son?

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by JimInMD

The one that just came out on the Weir Live in Colorado album is very fine.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Dennis

Funny you should mention Wolf Bros Hard Rain.. I am listening to it as I write this. It just sort of fell into my lap. Love Greg Leisz's Pedal Steel on this one. Exactly perfect.

Fitting.

Heard ten thousand whisperin’ and nobody listenin’
It’s a hard rain’s a-gonna fall

Really well done.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

How many 'No Nukes' benefits did the Dead do? I can only think of 1-13-78, but that's a 'Stop Nuclear Power' benefit. Any dedicated 'No Nukes' shows? Something like that might be appropriate for today, or even for the next several days at least come to think of it...

Stay and be well all and please Have a Grateful Day.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by JimInMD

I was totally out of pocket yesterday. Wasn't able to get any music in at all. Definitely want to check out 8/24/72 OB. I mean, come on it is 72 BCT. I will also need to go back to the 83 OR show, but it doesn't should like it is getting rave reviews.

My first ever bootleg in 1985 was 12/30/83 and that Shakedown Street changed my life. Still have it.

Jim, yes Dave's #13 is a great release. What a show. Definitely in my top 5 of Dave's Picks. Can't wait for #42.

Enjoy it out there.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Another one of my personal Summer/Fall '72 favorites.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

2/24/74: yep, one of my top Dave’s favs, Skeletor Skater, right up there with the Scooby Doo house!
I didn’t partake though as I’m going to wait and follow 42 with it when it comes. “Anticipa-a-a-tion, it’s making me wait”.
8/24/72: as much as I bitched about why did he not pick this one etc when DaP 24 came out, I can now maybe see why. This one starts out, good, but perhaps not necessarily the finely balanced starship of early 72? Is it me, or is summer 72 kinda a no man’s land of 72? Good, but not great comparatively (to the rest of 72? ) Perhaps just a tad mellower?

But as is often the case, they eventually start shifting gears and into the second set really get hold of the old Spockein mind meld. Even DG gets better after a shaky start. Suppose it’ll get released someday, just wonder how?
I mean we’re getting to the point where at the current lumbering pace, there’s only going to be so many more shows released. Say double what we’ve already received? Now that’s a decent output, but when/if you start to really look at things, you can start to wonder how many of these good, but perhaps not great shows, will get chosen instead of some great ones?
Now before y’all gather a lynch mob, look at it this way. Think about how many 72 shows will actually see the light of day, a relatively small number?, Then think about how many great or good ones there are left, and you can see they probably won’t all be resealed. So that means the coach has to make cuts cause there’s only so many uniforms.
So that becomes the uncomfortable part, who’ll make the team and who won’t, at least based on past choices etc?
Now multiply the same scenario of X shows over other Prime years, and perhaps you can understand the logistics, and why I wonder if some of these shows will get out or not?
So with that logic, I wouldn’t necessarily pick this as a single release compared to X number of other 72s, but I could see it included in some kind of box package? That HAS been an MO, package some B, B+ shows in with some A+ etc.
I guess the point I’m trying to get at is, if ya crunch the numbers, this dribbling out single shows with one smallish box a year means questionable choices/cuts are going to get made, and a lot of good stuff will not get out, based on taper bias.
Yes, Fortunately we have streaming options, but why not get a little more aggressive: why not drop what’s left of certain years with perhaps limited worthy/available shows in one fell swoop i.e., say he saves/pulls one or 2 p, or 3 single release worthy shows from 74 and then releases what’s left in a 74 box. Boom, one big year complete. Rinse and repeat with say 68, 69, 76, 77, Save a few big appropriate choices from those choice years to save/have for DaP etc, to doll out, but drop the rest of the best from each year, that doesn’t have a ton of unreleased available shows?
You could probably also do the same with the later years eventually? But The rest of the years/stuff, who knows what or if anything will happen?
Sure some of these might get big and pricey, but not everyone will want say a big 77 box. But the freaks who really dig 77 would love it. Some might grumble about the cost, but most of the truly 77 faithful would do it.
That way the rest of folks, some who might feel they have enough 77, could still get a cherry picked couple of 77s Ala DaP, but could skip the mass release. This would free up more single and other pics and boxes for more variety AND to help ensure that some of these good/great “borderline” picks don’t get skipped over for more headscatchers.

Like 8/30/83, is a GOOD show, (you should check it out DV), but is it a top pick for 83, and thus release worthy? I think this is the taper bias problem again. Many shows are picked because at one time, that was one of the few from that time that had a good tape! So we’re picking today, because of limited choices/tapes from the past, instead of which shows are best, if that makes sense? How could a truly fantabulas show be great, if no one’s heard it?
How many times have we checked out an unknown show here on POT Day, that blew us away, but that relatively no one’s ever heard of?
With the archive and the huge amount of shows that ARE now available, why are we still picking shows based on the limited knowledge/tapes available forty years ago?
Best illustration of this: 5/8/77. Great show to be sure, but best ever? I think if folks had the internet and access to better quality tapes BITD, maybe Cornell would be considered differently? But since there was no net, and it was one of the few great tapes of a great show, the legend/myth grew?
Just a theory, sorry to ramble, but it’s the one thing about this culture I don’t like, taper bias!
Hey HF ain’t the only one with theories! ; )

Ok, going 6/25/92 just cause…

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I had it on cassette and really liked it. Thus, (and wrongfully so) I was disappointed when Dave picked 8-25-72 for release.
So I’m listening to 8-25-72 now.
This weekend I’m planning on processing some torrent files and will get 8-24-72 into the system of audio formats and HD’s, and will then give it a listen.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Oro-I've always had that feeling, that summer 72 is a bit of a lull between the twin peaks of Europe and Fall.

I like that idea about future boxes too-a few cherry picked shoes from a year then all the rest in a big box. It would be nice to see a change of pace ( an accelerated one, obviously!) in the way shows are released. I think the times call for it

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Picked a little at this because of Oro.

Not sure what "copy" of this I have, but it's top shelf. Listening to Dew, GREAT recording, GREAT I tell ya!

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by Dennis

Five dancing bears for this show. Strong show from start to finish. We get a nice Birdsong, end the first set with a Casey Jones. Early Miss Half Step, Truckin Dark Star Dew... really enjoyable. Sing me back Home OMSN and UJB. What a show. Would love to see it released.

I think July and August 72 are both good months. A lot of good shows, I don't hear a let down at all. Check out 7/21/72 as an example, from the Paramount in Seattle, download series #10.

Would love to see them release more shows, but they seem pretty set in their current pattern and I am sure it doesn't help when their box sets don't sell out like LTTR.

We are supposed to crack 30 here today in MN, so need to get out and enjoy it.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Well, I’ll have to try it again?
Definitely strong finish, I just felt like there were more worts etc early on then you’d expect from a release, and especially from 72., at least comparatively to the intensity, majesty, and near perfection of Europe, which is a pretty high bar to match.
I’ll have to give er another spin, and then I should probably hit the 25 to compare, lol. One step up and two back!
Was going to go with Dicks 26, the twofer from 69, but I guess that’ll have to wait?
ONWARD!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

shouldn’t multitask lol.
Yeah I may have over generalized a bit on 8/24. My apologies.
I still think JG takes a little time to? It’s not that he’s off, just not fully on, if that makes sense?
Like Sugaree, ok, but it doesn’t sound like he’s fully on vocally. His solo in BIODTL is not tight either.
The harmonies at the end of Bird Song are ruff on an otherwise great version. Someone hits a big clam on the end of Jack Straw. Mostly small stuff as there is no such thing as a perfect show, but add em up, and pile on the horrible chorus vocals on an otherwise decent Half Step, and I think there’s enough evidence that my previous discussion was at least worth consideration? I think the vocal mix is part of the problem, but think they have Betty’s so…

Personally, the Dark Star alone makes it worth the price of admission, but I would think that folks with more 72 knowledge then myself could argue there are better choices! Which goes back to if there’s more great shows available than possible outlets/releases, then would some of these shows perhaps not be good enough, compared to other 72s?
Ok, I guess I’ll compare the 25th next.

EDIT: 25 miiight be a little tighter overall, but I still like the 24 better, hey a DS/Dew trumps most others ; )

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I always thought we aged well, like fine wine.

With GD music I have learned not to trust my initial reaction of shows unless I really liked it. How much we like a show is so subjective.. your mood, the sound, distractions, is there an issue floating around in your brain that is consuming you.. something unresolved where you just cannot just let go. Some of these barriers are made smaller by mood enhancement, psychedelics tend to blow them up. But we are all human, what we get out of a show or a relisten depends largely on whatever is going on in our heads at the moment.

In a way getting into a good show is like meditation. If you are under the influence of the trance, if you are able to let go completely and become absorbed it all clicks (or doesn't in those cases the show doesn't cut the mustard). If you cannot clear your mind you just don't know yet.

Sorry for rant, this conversation reminded me of something very specific hard to explain.
The last one I listened to or the one I play tomorrow are always the best ones.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Any impressions I have on the music are based on my last listening - and are open to revision on my next one. Not really that healthy to see the same thing the same way twice. If you do, it might be time to move on to something else.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by daverock

Thinking about 10/29/77, Dekalb, Dave's 33 for today. I haven't listened to this show in a while.

Let me know.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

I seem to remember 2-9-73 has some political commentary by Wavy Gravy. I'm still wondering which other shows had political commentary centered around Nukes besides 1-13-78 (Stop Nuclear Power Benefit) and maybe 2-9-73.

I ended up going with a little DaP 30 (1-2 and 1-3, 1970) yesterday and today. I also took a flyer on 8-24-72, but only made it through set I. Fairly uneventful, 8-24-72 set I, but enjoyable.

Have fun with 10-29-77. Black Peter has that nice, rare slide solo by Jerry. Powerhouse show all around. The night before Soldiers and Sailors has long been a favorite of mine since my blanks and postage/trading days. Someone hooked me up with a really clean board recording. Unfortunately, it cuts near the end of set II. I understand the vault recently had the masters returned, so we may see more of this in the future. Fingers crossed!

Be well all...

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Do it DV. I had it dialed in a couple weeks ago. Awesome show. My favorite from latter part of that tour I think. I've been on something of a Fall 77 through Spring 78 groove as of late. Time frame not exclusive for sure in terms of listening but I keep going back to it. Close Encounters in Eugene was part of that.

BTW - really enjoyed a return to Dave's 32 - Philly Spectrum 3/24/73. Way back I had a tape of He's Gone through end Set II. Just got to say that band and audience are hopping from the get-go on this one. Fast and fun show. Nice how deep in the 1st set they finish with Here Comes Sunshine > Bobby McGee > Loser > and then a big ole Playing in the Band.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by bluecrow

Dedicated to Doc as he’s spoken highly of this one. It’s new to me and being my last day on hiatus I thought I’d go big!
Will hit some of that Dekalb later/after.

BC: I just sorta “discovered” spring 78 this past year. Bunch of good Betty’s, especially that awesome DaP 37 from 4/15! Yowsa, didn’t see that coming!

WTJ: 6/22/83 check out Bobs speech before the start of Bucket second set opener.
“I don’t know, maybe you want a radioactive volcano in your back yard?”
Oh, great show BTW if you’ve never checked it out.

JIM: agree 100%, except bad/missed notes aren’t really subjective, there just mistakes.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

After the 72 Steamer Trunk graced my front porch, I became reinvigorated with GD. I listened to each show in sequence and was blown away. So I kept going.. 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 making it halfway through 78 until I paused things.

Eventually I got tired of listening to the same era GD every night, although evolving, it was still a slow-moving same era GD. I seemed to do it at about the same pace as they did, so a year would take me a year more or less. I loved Spring '78. ..but by October, I was in 78 overload and had to jump the tracks.

I like 78 almost as much as 77 GD, except I seem to listen to 78 more. One day I will revisit 77 in earnest, it's just not on my radar at the moment.

Anyway.. the point of this post is that is so much fun to explore a region, really explore it. Spring 78 is a-ok with me.

I think I need to revisit 6/30/74 again.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I read that Phil wore a lab scientist white coat at one of the 2 shows, 83 or 84.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by JimInMD

I don't think I have heard this show. Will get it going later.

Jim, maybe someday they will give us another box similar to the steamer trunk or 30 Trips. Of course, I don't know if it would be possible again.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by bluecrow

I think I listened to this show about this time last year, and no doubt I enjoyed it, but clearly need to listen again. For some reason just now thought this was part of DiP 12 (one of the great releases of that series) and its not. At some point they just have to release all of '74 right?

As part of my Fall '77 thru Spring '78 I went back to DaP 12 11/4/77 Colgate Univ. last week. Literally years since I last listened, sort of fell off the edge of the earth for awhile. And I really enjoyed it.

Jim, when you're feeling like some late fall '78, may I suggest 11/18/78 from the Uptown in Chicago? I pointed at it last fall I think. not sure if you caught it then. it kicks it, big time.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

That sounds familiar.. I was at (I think) the '83 show but they played there in '84 also, maybe he was wearing a lab coat. I am pretty sure we did mushrooms that day because when we left people were already calling the Space the 3 Mile Island Nuclear Jam or meltdown space or some variation of those words and that seemed fitting considering our state of mind. But tripping served to blur whatever memories I might have had.

I remember the walk to the venue more than anything else, it was a weird and long walk. The show was at what looked and felt like a high school football field, no glam and just a fence separating us from them. I'm sure people got in for free, it would have been so easy. The stage was really low, it was a free for all, no rules, little security once you got in, the whole thing was GA and it didn't feel all that crowded.

Fun show, it looks like no soundboards survived and the tapes are not very rewarding.

Edit: I just checked the Archive, there's a new transfer by Charlie Miller where the sound is quite rewarding. I was at the '83 show for sure, the highlights for me were the Stranger opener and the China Rider through GDTRFB with a nice 3 mile island nuclear jam to hold it all together. Someone mentioned the lab coat in the comments section of setlists.net, it must have happened as the internet does not lie.

Not the best show, but it brings back fond memories. I wish I was a headlight!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

I thought you were there Jim! Check out some Auds.
I have one of the best tapes I ever received of that show. Might even be a matrix as you can hear things being adjusted in the mix really prominently? I think it’s one of the best 83 shows, but I’ve not heard enough to really declare it? I had a great tape source for (long story) only a very brief time: who ever was actually taping knew their shit and had great gear: nac deck, sennheiser 441s etc. I’m still bummed I lost that connection! Amazing Aud tapes!
I love this show, Great Stranger, one of my favorite Ramble on Roses, killer China Rider, awesome space into Spanish jam, GDTRFB, our first intro to Bucket, which we were calling Elegant Pride!
Yeah there are some really good Auds of this show. I’ve seen a news video and you can see it must of been a really lose laid back vibe and you can hear how great the sound was even just on the reporters rig!

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

That's what it was labeled on the first tape I had with the song. Throwing Stones seemed to be called Ashes to Ashes a lot too. There were a few others.. but as usual I forget.

So when I got a tape of this show it was a bad recording. I dug around in the archive more than a decade ago to no avail, but some of the more recent seeds including the Miller sound quite good. I caught a few songs today but will try and revisit it. Maybe it will jar a new memory.

What you learn here on dead.net.