• 7,844 replies
    marye
    Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • PT Barnum

Hey now, gr8 show here, opening Jack Straw high energy and off we go, first set has a Peggy-O and a Loser and ends with a China>Rider. Second set is again where it's at with a monster of a Shakedown estimated>eyes>Drums>Space>Truckin>Black Peter with a Casey Jones encore. check it out

• JimInMD
    I heard from a friend here that today is Harpur College Day

I can only assume it is true. Finished work a little early today, setting the controls for 5/2/1970. A few drops of tincture under the tongue. Hopping on the John Deere. I expect my afternoon will begin by cutting my grass and end destination unknown.

My only wish is that the Hey_Blow nazi's let this post go through unchanged.
    5/1 vs. 5/2. I'm in the 5/2 camp but if you toss in both shows plus the New_Riders from 5/1.. well, lets just throw in 5/6 for a threefor. Trust me, it's going to be alright.

A tip of the glass to what's going on in the world today. I cannot help think of these shows juxtaposed over what's going on in college campuses right now. I refer to my previous statement, chill out a little people, everything's going to be ok. Sit back, listen, enjoy and be.

I love all you guys and girls, the world would be much worse off without us in it.

• Oroborous

What we like and why we like it.
    Used to love how five dudes who all just experienced the same show, sometimes together most of the night, could then have five different opinions in the car afterward lol
    Keep ‘em coming boys!
    I’m rollin on 77 currently.

• uncle_tripel

...those GD aud tape listening days have pasted, however, in the treasure chest can still be found the well-worn AUD cassette tapes with accompanying memories of
    hershey 6/28/85
    rochester 11/7-8/85 [weir and his opening the show by mentioning Rajneesh Bhagwan]
    rochester 7/2/87
    pittsburgh 7/6/87 [welcome our friends the Neville brothers]

and these only see the light of day every 7-8 yrs, & only if, lol, the JONESIN' is OOC,
    which media one prefers to listen to makes no difference as long as
    you all keep on rockin'

• daverock

A bit off piste perhaps, but mention of them reminds me of the great documentary I watched last weekend called "Have You Got It Yet" about....Syd Barrett.

• icecrmcnkd

Unless it’s the audio track of video.
    I’ve recorded video at several shows. They’re on utoob at DeadFloyd69.

Otherwise, with around 4TB of SBDs on HDs, most of which I haven’t listened to yet, there is no reason for me to listen to an AUD recording of GD.

Floyd is a different story because AUDs are mostly what exist.

• Oroborous

I mean I’m not arguing, I totally get it, but hasn’t there ever been a show so ridiculously good that you forget about the tape?
    That you’d regret not hearing?
    Of course, like I said, unless Estimated Prophet yells dumbness next to the mic all night lol Maybe not, there IS a Lot of shows out there!

And that’s so so quality, personally I like a perfectly done aud almost as much, well, I’d take a very well (professionally) done matrix over all, multi track of course ; )

• uncle_tripel

DEADVIKES...I went to that well once too often, the not well audiencetape adventure...yes, those days have pasted

• Oroborous

Just every now and then from time to time…
    Some shows are just so good it’s worth it, unless some Jack ass is screaming dumb shit right next to the mics all night lol

• DeadVikes

Pretty sweet BB, front row center in April 81 and with the future Misses. Prime time Dead in my opinion.

OB, I don't mind an audience recording if it sounds good, just can't take the ones that sound terrible. Spent the first part of my Dead journey listening to a lot of bad tapes, which I am sure you can relate to. Anyway, yes, I am dipping my toes in those May 79 shows per your recommendation. Thanks Man.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months
Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

4/17/82 sounds like a great pick! I'm going to wait to get home and stream it on the Big Boy.

Also, @ IceCreamKid - 10/31/91 is an all-timer! That should definitely be a Dave's pick! I also really enjoy the whole Boston Garden 91 run - one of which (9/25/91) was Dick's Pick 17. I'd like to see some more of those as well! I particularly like the night before, with LTGTR opener, New Speedway 1st set closer, then the Ship of Fools>Dark Star in set 2. Some good shows that late summer/early fall (the MSG run has some gems too!)

Peace

Then I read the soundboard shaming comment from the archive that enthusiastically pointed towards the Glassberg audience. So I pulled that one down, digitized and dove in head first.

I decided I like the Miller soundboard the best, but he has a point, many of the boards from this era sound think and lacking in dynamics. ..but once you get dialed in you adjust. I liked the Miller, it's the one seeded in 2019. I find often is there is more than on Miller, the later date wins the prize.

A good show, great shakedown, very good sound for the era.. interesting.

Not sure why I posted this.. perhaps an audience aficionado will have a different perspective. The comments from LMA are below.

Reviewer: AUD Snob - favorite - May 19, 2019
Subject: it's still only a sbd
the glassberg AUD is again the best recording for this great 1982 show. the description says it's an upgrade to all other sources. it should have the disclaimer that it's a sbd upgrade to sbds. the aud is significantly better. there is simply no reverb, sustain or fullness in these recordings. listen to the slow intro to nfa and the few slams brent gives the organ. it sounds thin and there is NO impact. i don't understand why these sources are hyped. please do yourself a favor and listen to the barry glassberg aud if you want to hear what this show sounded like live.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Another enjoyable 82 show. Thanks for the nudge OB. I will have to go back and check out that Aud at some point Jim.
Good first set, nice It's all over now, Birdsong, Man Smart, Women Smarter. Second set bonanza with Shakedown Street, Lost Sailor, SOC into a really good Jam. Was that a duck in UJB? Love those IAONBB encores. Really good show.

Happy 82 Birthday Phil Lesh!
What a run.
Should we hit his 50th Birthday show today, 3/15/1990?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Looks like our buddy Dennis was at this one? D, if your out there, any comments?
I was at first going to try the BG aud, but went with the Miller SB, which was decent.
Show was ok, started out with some ok energy, nice Sugaree, then cool they rolled right into El Paso, but you could tell it was a tad allegro. Good of Bobby to just go with it instead of some awkward drastic change up. From there it’s a average outing until an ok, but nothing special Bird Song, and what at the time was probably a cool set ending Women Are.
Now the Shakedown on the other hand was amazing. At first I was non plussed, but by the end, phew, beauty eh!
That Shakedown alone was worth the price of admission. Sailor Saint was ok, followed by a sweet jam sans Fatty with Bob and Brent laying down some cool leads in Spanish jam etc. Nice UJB followed by a sorta status quo ending capped off by an always welcome Baby Blue.
Certainly understandable how this gets overlooked by it’s more well know rowdy neighbors, and not perhaps dosent hang with the best of 82, but another off piste enjoyable show, and another notch on the proverbial “dead post”.

Ok, DV with the Philski biffday tribute!
3/15/90, Rollin!

EDIT: almost forgot! Hiya Otis, nice to see ya!
Yaassss that whole fall 91 run has been a real eye opener. I agree love 9/25, 10/31 is a top shelf show worthy of pickery, and 9/22 is another worthy candidate, but so far 9/26 is my fav, though I still need to hit the MSG run. Think I’ve only heard one of those so far but loved it.
Perhaps we need to hit 2/19/91 someday since Bolo brought it up?

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I like the Jack-A-Roe too.. always a treat, and It's All Over Now Baby Blue shined during these years. I never tired of Baby Blue and Brokendown encores. Oh, and that Shakedown was a keeper. Did someone mention 10/31/91? I'm gonna hit that over the next few days if time allows.

How are all you doing out there? Hoping for an end to the stupid war and a decent 2022. Where does the time go?

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Phil Lesh, what a stalwart. I have always thought Phil kind of flew under the radar at least publicly. What a bass player, can't think of too many in his league.
Man, I wish they had incorporated Unbroken Chain into the lineup before 1994.
And he was very instrumental in getting Dick's Picks underway and other releases like 3/15/90 and the Downhill from Here DVD, both in 1997. Look how far we have come since then. Here is to you Phil. Don't know where we would all be without you.

I am sure you have all listened to the 3/15/90 show many times, as I have. Still enjoy it every time. Love that China Rider and Terrapin with the Moc Turtle Jam. It is the jam out of Terrapin that always brings me back and of course Phil gives us a Tom Thumb Blues in the first set.

user picture

Member for

7 years

I'm a King bee, baby......buzzin' round your hive.
I was thinking about a small talk , and hear some legendary acid test shit. It is close to 56 years ago. I might not have enough clout, but I was born 2 years later. Ha.

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

So, I've abandoned my attempt to come up with a sampling of Dead tunes for newbies. Just too hard to accomplish without leaving gems on the cutting room floor - this after surpassing the 6 hour mark.

Going back to a modified 3 disc approach:

Disc 3 of DaP26 (11/17/71)
Disc 1 of One From The Vault (8/13/75)
Disc 3 of DiP18 (2/5/78)

If they don't "get" the Dead after listening to those, there's no hope for 'em.

If they matriculate to graduate-level Dead, I'll throw some 1968-70 their way and watch their heads explode. Probably should include "Steppin' Out" and "Ladies and Gentlemen" after that. And, there I go down the wormhole again...

Anyway, my small contribution to humanity.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by bolo24

I am working on my 83 year old mom.

It's gonna include either the studio or Reckoning verion of Ripple for sure. Ideas welcomed.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Hey Bolo24!!!

Your inclusion of 11/17/71 proves that you do indeed have impeccable taste in Grateful Dead...............

Rock on rockers!!!

Doc
Good taste is the modesty of the mind; that is why it cannot be either imitated or acquired.......

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by JimInMD

The only time my mother ever commented favourably on the Dead I was listening to was when a 1972 show was spinning. "I like that piano playing!" she would say-every time.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by JimInMD

All good choices there Bolo, can't go wrong.

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

Speaking of 11/17/71, what was in the water/kool-aid on November 17 every year?

11/17/71 - DaP26
11/17/72 - DaP11
11/17/73 - DaP5

Pretty stellar threesome. Also played in '68 (Seattle - no tape?), '78 in Chicago (incomplete tape), and Long Beach in '85.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by bolo24

Not to mention the one-off acoustic set by "Bob Weir and Friends" at the Rambler Room in the afternoon before the Uptown show. I can't even . . . . Just an El ride away from the old homestead(s).

"I'm new here."

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Anybody have a pick out there?

I will offer up 11/5/79. A real gem, released as a digital download with RT1. 1.

So much good music to explore from 1979-1982. Would love to see them start digging in a little harder.

Here is an idea for Rhino and Grateful Dead Productions, start releasing some more music. You could start with 11/5/79, which has already been mastered. Nothing fancy required. Through it on the site for $25. I would buy it. Continue on with 11/6/79..

Enjoy the day all.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Sure thing DV. Haven’t hit that one in fo ev a due to how much I like the next night!!! Lol.
11/6/79 is a top pick of the year for moi. Has been since I got a killer Reel to Reel sourced tape probably in 80 or 81?
Used to like to practice playing bass to it too.

I’ve been hitting free range shows at work, though I can’t call them full listens because of never ending BS at work these days. Like if I’m just doing actual work, in the zone, then the dead is awesome, but as soon as the noise of never ending BS that nowadays seems like status quo to get anything accomplished hits, the tunes become background noise, sigh…
But, I can still usually get a good feel by what catches my attention through the din, either noticeably good or bad, even through the noise. So Id recommend 2/19/91, but not as much as 9/8/91 and 9/9/91. But figured I had to hit it since Bolo brought it up. Bolo, Bolo, Bolo, lol, kinda like Jan Brady ; )
Man that fall 91 tour is overall pretty strong, but alas, it’s not 197? whatever, so I’ll probably be dead before we ever see a box of that. Bet that’d sell out fast!
Ok 11/5/79 rolling!
Califoooorrrrnnia! Knock knocking on the golden door!

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

Just saw the video of Keith singing the back up on Midnight Moonlight and Knocking on Heavens Door... Fans of Keith will enjoy the Moog on these 2 also.... Only 4 musicians, Jerry, Ron, Keith and John.... They look like they are having a blast.. bob t

Just finished the encore of NFA... such a different feel...

Missed 3-15-90 for Phil’s bday due to watching hockey.

But, listened to 3-16 on the 16th, and have kept up on the anniversaries since. Played 3-15 on the 17th, and am finishing 3-14 now.

Due to time constraints on weeknights I usually do a few first set songs and then set 2. Have listened to every Drums/Space. Good stuff in those 2 Boxes/Terrapin Limited/Dozin’. May keep the trend going.

Yes, I’m also a fan of 79, 82, etc, but haven’t been keeping up with all of you on the POTD. But I do read the posts.

Going to process some torrent files tonight, think I’ll do some early Brent years.

To Rock my soul.

Was a way from PCs and Phones all day yesterday, pulled off a DHB Hat Trick.

5/4/74
5/2/70
11/30/80

With a partial from 3/19/90

A glorious day, man.. I am a bit out of shape. No rest for the weary.... What's on tap today? I've got a road trip, so almost six hours in the car. If it's in one of my devices it makes it easier. How about something from June 76? By the way.. It had been too long since I heard 11/30/80 the Fox Theatre. Holy smokes that sounded good and hit the spot. What a great release and something that shines from 1980. Dare I say I like it much better than the stuff they put on Deadset.

Hope all you peeps are having as good a weekend as possible and doing your best to avoid life's potholes and quagmires. Keep the peace.

This show for me, is a top tier show and release. Sound quality is A+. Both sets are jam packed with great music.
The Eyes Estimated Franklin's in the second set is outstanding. Lost Sailor SOC, good Sugar Mag and close it out with a rocking Casey Jones.
Really worth checking out. Nudge nudge Jim.
Interested in your thoughts OB.
What are you thinking next?? 11/6/79?
I am open.
Yes, 11/30/80, is a great show I have that in the normal rotation. Time for more.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Day got away from me.

I’ve always dug both these 79 Spectrum shows since as I say I got those killer tapes BITD.
But the 6th has become sorta propped up to we’re I’ve neglected poor 11/5.
So it was really enjoyable to fire that one up yesterday!

Been jazzing out with Bill Evans and now Charles Mingus, but hope to sneak in 11/6 just cause, even though we’ve covered it etc. Have second set from 11/9 cued up after, but might have to wait on that as the other half is working and doesn’t usually dig walking into “that Bob Weird shit”, that’s “too loud” right after work lol.
Might try that 11/30/80, mañana?

Jim, happy motoring! Sounds like you had a perfect day yesterday: DHB, AND no cells or computers!

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Smokin’ China Cat>IKYR to open!
Phil Bombs here and there.

I’ve heard this many times but it’s not burned into my synapses because I never had it on cassette. So I’m getting a somewhat fresh listen.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Hey, rockers!!!

Pick of the day: Academy of Music, March 22, 1972

Fond, fading memories of the hey day of my taping craziness in the early 1980s. Where were the boards of the March 1972 AOM run? We had the audience recordings, ranging from serviceable to cringe worthy. We had heard rumors that the shows weren’t recorded, or had perhaps been destroyed in a flood within the vault. In such circumstances, hard to separate fact from fantasy, questions left unanswered….

Lacking insight, we wondered, what were the 72 AOM shows? Open rehearsals for Europe 72? Revenue raisers for a rolling transcontinental European party? As it turns out, a wonderful run of shows serendipitously placed between the creamy smoothness of Fall 1971 and the seemingly laid back yet wonderfully intense Europe 72 tour.

Our questions were finally answered in October 2003, with the release of Dick’s Picks 30. More came with Rockin’ the Rhein in 2004 and Dave’s Picks 14 in 2015. They had been there the whole time, in all their musical gloriosity!!!

The whole run is great, but I especially like the second set of the 22nd because I’m a greasy Caution kinda guy. For many, this fell through the cracks, as they snuck it out as the bonus disc on Rockin’ The Rhein.

Rockers, dust it off and rejoice!!!!

Doc
Of all forms of caution, caution in love is perhaps the most fatal to true happiness……

Never heard it, so I’ll check it out!

DV: I hit 9/12/91 yesterday.
Great energy, but perhaps a little ruff occasionally for release?
Definitely think fall 91 would make a good box: first of Richfield, say 3 or 4 MSG, 9/22, 24, and mos def 9/26/91 from bean town, with say 2 or 3 from Oakland, definitely 10/31/91!
A lot of good shows lurkin about that tour.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Interesting show.. I rebuilt it using a combination of the Charlie Miller and the Rockin' the Rhein bonus disc.

That jam out of Caution is remarkable.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Okay, OB 9/12/91, I will have to check it out. That MSG run is outstanding.

Interesting to me I have never really connected with the AOM shows, don't know why, but will give it another go.

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

The Dead at Shoreline Amphitheater 9/19/2003. Perhaps the most memorable post-Grateful Dead show I've attended.

The archive has a good audience tape (only choice available). I can send the soundboard to those interested if someone tells me how to do it via email (or something easy).

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Hey Bolo, Thanks again for hooking me up a few years ago – that is indeed mighty fine. I think you should be able to upload 9/19/03 to a transfer site like Dropbox or WeTransfer. If you don't already have an account with one, let me know. I'll see if I have enough room left on my free Dropbox account to upload the show, altho all I can find at the moment is an AAC/Mp3 version.

3/22 was ok, by 72 standards.
Yes that unique jam outta Caution was sweet!
Shoot, forgot to check: does Pig usually play harp on Big RR?
And was JG playing pedal steel on LL Rain?
Good grease too.

Hit 3/23 for extra credit.
Liked this one better, and not JUST because of the Dark Star.
Seemed like they had more energy?

Not mind blowing but I’m glad I finally heard em.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I have those CDs somewhere.. I need to dig them out. Being the completist, I purchased the 2003 tour by either my interest waned or I didn't make room in my budget for each and every 2004 show. I think I purchased some but not all.

Looking for this in a bit..

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

I only have the Red Rocks shows since I went.

That’s a pretty big statement Bolo!
Guess we’ll have to check it out?

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Apparently Oro and I shared a show. It was so cool to be there 25 years after my first show. Phil called it out asking who was there 25 years earlier; big cheers. Also cool, and the first time I had seen it, was being able to order a CD of the show right there and then from a table set up by the entrance. A commonplace thing now I would guess. Great set list including a Mason's Children, a Dylan (Baby Blue), and a Beatles (She Said). Joan Osborne killed it as did Jimmy Herring.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

I am giving up finding these CDs for now. I found the Gorge, Noblesville, Jones Beach and a few others.. so it must be somewhere. I checked out a few songs from the audience on the archive. Perhaps I will look a little harder later but I need to drop this for now, I have a few mega yachts in Italy and Greece that I need to move before they get towed.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

Yep, those were good shows.
Don’t remember too many specifics, just a visual of it being really nice out, and how nice it was to be with all the freaks again! Joan was cool too.
We were in VIP through my cousins business connections so hanging by the SB.
Think Bill Walton was there right in front of the SB towering over everyone, leaning way over the flimsy rope that separates VIP section, thought he was gonna fall over a few times lol.
Of course I might be mixing up my shows/years as I seem to recall he was always there!

Remember even less of 04? Maybe that was the year it got really cold and misty one night and the whole place was literally in a low cloud. Very ephemeral and psychedelic. The lights on and through the mist was awesome, would of been cool tripping.
Think they played Milestones and maybe Lucy in the Sky or some groovy Beatles? Hell it’s all a blur, but was very enjoyable! The shitty weather made the show as the band got inspired.
Can’t believe I didn’t ever see the GD there, sigh…

Only 09 show I went to was at the Can in D town. Don’t recall digging that one so much, but my show circumstances certainly affected my perception. You could almost feel that they weren’t getting along?

Hell, was fortunate to see dozens of Phil shows at the Philmore, the Rocks, Vail, The Dead at the Rocks in 03 and 04, The Other ones at Fiddlers a couple times, Futhur fest 06 and 08, D&C at Folsom several years, and perhaps my favorite, Furthur at several places including that cool little arena in Broomfield that reminded me of a clean, new, up to date Chrotchfester memorial. It really is a great place o be a head, just wish it didn’t take me so long to get here!
Saw most up until D&C for free!

You guys all coming for the first time this summer are in for a treat. HF may be crazy but he’s not wrong ; )
I’m just not sure if my schedule will allow or if I’m up for crowds yet because of underlining heath concerns, but who knows? It’s on my radar…
If the force wills it, I’ll catch up with all y’all somehow?

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

Maybe spoke too soon about the MOST memorable post-GD show I attended. I'd also have to throw in The Dead in 2009 at the Forum in LA (5/9) and Shoreline (5/10 + 14).

First set at Forum: Viola Lee Blues > Bertha > Viola Lee Blues > Caution > Viola Lee Blues > Black Peter, Cosmic Charlie. Warren absolutely wrecked the place!

Shoreline shows were long and had a great vibe, including half-hour+ encores: St. Stephen > The Eleven, Touch of Grey on 5/9 and Scarlet/Fire, Deal on the 14th.

Also Furthur at the Sweetwater for 4 consecutive nights in 2013 with only 300 of my deadhead brothers and sisters. Big fun! Except for the guy behind me one night that talked incessantly about real estate. We had words.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by bolo24

Ha, just teasing ya, hell Dave’s not the only one who likes to riff with the hyperbole. ; )
Hell this place is rife with it, for good or for ill, lol.
BUT, for you to put the ole English on the ball to me intimates that your memories are such to warrant recognition/mention. Or, the point was taken, er, now if I could only grow some more hair and cover that point up, uugghh.
Scarlet currently. Second set definitely starting to gel and take shape. Good pallet cleanse too!
And another, off piste, interesting pick many of us might never had met if not for our cool little freak oasis here at potdwd!
ONWARD!

Oh, Furthur at the Sweeteater…fo git a bot it!, sweet in deed, I woulda broke his knee caps (not really) poor bastid didn’t know who he was dealing with. I hear those NoCal Sharks can get pretty hungry!

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

I managed to squeeze the show onto Dropbox. I gave up on tracking down the FLAC that Bolo sent a few years ago, so the files are AAC. Still, even those of you with youthful ears and kick-ass sound systems may want to check this out.

In 2003 The Dead were: Bob Weir, Phil Lesh, Mickey Hart, Bill Kreutzmann, Jimmy Herring – guitar, Jeff Chimenti – keyboards, vocals, Rob Barraco – keyboards, vocals, Joan Osborne – vocals

I hope this linque gets thru. If you have trouble, PM me with your email address and I'll email the linque back.

Lessee. . . triple w's (dot) dropbox (dot) com (slash) scl (slash) fo (slash) kkksgpnu21h6c9oxtnl3n/h?dl=0&rlkey=0sitikii1vpm2ehrc6aql8cyz

(no spaces)

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by JeffSmith

Joan Osborne was great.
Saw the ATL show and Sammy Hagar sang with Joan on Loose Lucy.

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

As Bolo mentioned below, this was the best show of the tour IMHO, and I felt lucky to have been there. What a first set, and the second set was no slouch either.

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

Jimmy Herring + Joan Osborne + Days Between =

Let the words be yours, I'm done with mine

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by bolo24

Is it the pick of the day or another clue? I'm going with just the music, but.....

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Hey rockers!!

Pick of the day: Dania March 24 1970

Pirate’s World?? Arrrrr!!!!!!!!! Shiver me timbers matie, it’s the Grateful Dead!!!

I came across this while reviewing the February/March 1970 recordings. It’s just what I like with the Dead----raw, rowdy, and raucous!!

Dew to open----I like that position a lot. Short sharp sweet Mama Tried. Very jammy Good Lovin’. The Dead channel their inner garage band and turn Don’t Ease Me In into a crunchy rave up. Unlike Star Theater, this one does have a big jam sequence, although it sounds a bit condensed, as if the band was under time constraints, but it works well. And I must admit, my inner cowboy does enjoy the show-closer Me & My Uncle coming from nowhere out of the Lovelight……..

As with Star Theater, a very decent and listenable recording, but with “issues”. Probably will never be an official release because a big chunk of the Dew is missing, and there’s an edit in the Star. The powers that be seem to shy away from such things. Still worth a listen…………..

X (factor) marks the spot, buried treasure for sure……………..

Doc
There is nothing so desperately monotonous as the sea, and I no longer wonder at the cruelty of pirates…….

One of the more interesting finds on the Archive.

I stumbled on this show years ago, it's an odd little find. It was one of initial thoughts as an answer to Bolo's last riddle, squid.. but I went with a companion show instead, which also turned out to be wrong.

Still an interesting little show if you have never heard it. I think I might do it again..

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

and see what tomorrow brings…
Maybe mañana, no tunes today : (

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Hey OB, looking at 9/11/82, West Palm Beach FL, for tomorrow. I think Bolo would be up for this show.
Fresh Miller transfer from February 2022. If Dave won't give us any 82, at least Charlie will.
My god, we need some release news on this site. I think the last announcement was in December for Dave's 42, which should be hitting mailboxes in about a month.
It is almost Oberon season!

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

only time Scarlet Begonias>Fire on the Mountain>Lost Sailor>Saint of Circumstance>Terrapin Station played. Great Scarlet >Fire, highly recommended.
Went to the next nite in Lakeland, 9-12-82, check out the post drums on that one, Wheel>NFA>Morning Dew with Jerry belting it out in his sad voice. Another great Florida run. Don't know why, but in the 80's, Florida seemed to bring out the best in the band.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by PT Barnum

Looks like I missed an 82. I will get to this tomorrow.

I did finally get and finish the Shoreline 03 Dead Pick. A really good show. The Peggy-O of all things gave me goosebumps this time. Lovely Joan.. what a great addition to GD music.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Looking forward to that Shoreline 2003. From '98 to '03 I saw some great shows, all on the Front Range except for the '02 shows at Alpine that at the last second I had to fly back to cause that was the home turf. The Other Ones, Phil and Friends, The Dead, they were all excellent bands. One of my most beloved musical moments was Phil and Friends at Red Rocks 7/6/01 when they segued into Blues for Allah in the midst of Terrapin and I looked over at my friend in wide-eyed-huge-smile wonder - youhavegottobefuckinkiddingme : )))

I saw the first 4 of the 5 Dead shows in Red Rocks 2003 - I think they were the last "shows" I saw until Wrigley this past fall (crazy to me that 18 year gap, my goodness, WTF). First show, 7/6/03, was outrageously good. Joan killed it. Especially Days Between.

edit - totally forgot, the first "post Jerry" show I saw was Merl Saunders in Colorado Springs maybe winter '95, in some little bar, and that's when I heard my first Dark Star.