• 7,817 replies
    marye
    Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • DeadVikes

Great show Jim. Good first set, recording is good. Yes, love that Scarlet, Touch, Fire,Man Smart. Good Miracle Stella Blue, Sugar Mag finish and then wait, what, a Dark Star encore. Billy must have loved this one.

Think I might check out 7/6/84 from Alpine next.

• daverock

I had this on a tape back in the day too. It was one of those shows where I was never quite sure if it was a very high energy show - or if my recording had been done at the wrong speed.

• billy the kiddd

Maybe they are saving it for a Greek Theatre Box set. Fun show, they played alot of my favorite songs.

• icecrmcnkd

Good stuff.
    Had it on cassette years ago.

• Oroborous

Hey Jim, think I might go 6 6 69 thru 7 7
    prolly starting next w e e k after my current 84 s w i n g
    Perhaps yee all might want a play along?
    Get the deer fired up!

• Oroborous

6/10/73, I too hit the last two discs and fully dug.
    It’s a shame DB wasn’t more comfortable with the boys and/or had more chance to jam. All discussed in one of those ABB books out sorta recently.

7/13/84 is a good 84 outing. Can’t believe it’s not been released being a Pinkus first show, and…
    Gonna wait till summer for that as I’m back in research mode, chipping away at the mother load!
    ONWARD!

Hit the 8&9 DV, you’ll thank me!

• JimInMD

I've only listened to 7/13 from this run, at least that I can remember. I enjoyed it. I'm going to dig in on the other two but 7/13 gets the most love.

• DeadVikes

I am in. I have never heard this show. Thanks Jim.

• JimInMD

I was thinking of the 7/13 show for the Scarlet/touch/fire because the arrangement derivation reminds me of the Frost Shows in DaP 49. I might do 7/15 for the PITB / UJB. Sometimes in this era the ferocity of Jerry's Playing is contagious. It's also got a late era non-disco Dancin' in Streets and Do It In The Road, a nice prelude to what we would see develop in 1985.

One last later era show and perhaps next time I'll go way back.

• DeadVikes

You call it Jim.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months
Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Oroborous

on Desolation Row right now

Full on spring here, though late hard freeze curve ball is on the table until end of April. Apricots bloomed last week. Almond and peach in bloom right now.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by bluecrow

Really really nice listen DV. Thank you. Finishing up Set II the on-a-dime segue from a Phil heavy crushing Other One into the Wheel. Knocking encore. Way way back in the day pre-DP had a fine tape of 9/16 and remembering how it blew me away in first deep listen in that Standing On The Moon segment. Show later released as DP 9. That initial MSG run with Bruce is super charged.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by bluecrow

Rasta5Ziggy worked his first Day Job at this show. BITD had a fine board of Set II. Shakedown Set II opener - need I say more? Actually there is so much more to this show. e.g. Deal(!!!), Drums(!!!). This seems to be one of those midwest brain melters that is under the radar. So how about POTD tomorrow to correct that?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by bluecrow

No tunes today : (
But I’m adding 6/30/84 to the list.
Hopefully I’ll get two a days in for the next few days?

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Posted this by mistake in the 41 thread.. but meant to write it here.

They played the second half of 4/4/85 Providence on TIGDH. I had this tape way back when I really liked it.. but none of the versions that circulated sounded as good as my old XLII S. I listed to this once a decade ago adn gave up on all my cassettes so forgot about this show. The version played on SiriusXM sounded nice and crisp which got me to take a peek and see if there were any recent upgrades created.

Sure enough.. there was a Charlie Miller from 2020 that sounds better than my old, dusty cassette. If you like '85, it might be worth checking out. It's got an angry Jack Straw that competes with the 10-20-84 Carrier Dome, a definitive Dire Wolf and a lovely and emotive She Belongs to me in the first set. I'm not sure if I ever had the second set, can't remember.. anyway, just thought I'd mention it. I think it's a neat little show even if there's a little Bobby histrionics on Lost Sailor.. or more aptly Lost Bobby. A cool little show with a big upgrade, a great prelude to Summer and Fall '85.

Cone Kid, thanks for the shoutout... I just roasted a batch of oily Kenyan that I just love.

Been doing taxes, and listening to music just makes me drift off the page into never never land. When I am pretending to be an accountant, I just can't find a groove. Better to get it done, then swing - I just cannot mix these two activities.. coincidentally, I can manage to drink copious amounts of coffee when I am pretending to be an accountant. Two out of three ain't bad.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by bluecrow

Hey Bluecrow, really enjoyed this show as well. Recording is great. Those guys really knew what they were doing.
Love the Half Step opener, Minglewood. The Desolation Row isn't perfect, but it is still really good. The highlight of the first set for my was the next song, To Lay Me Down, it will move you.
Solid second set with an Eyes Opener into Estimated to Foolish Heart that has this interesting Jam at the end. Fun finish with the a nice Encore. Yes, that Other One to Wheel BC is great.
Definitely worth the time if you all have time.

It had to be hard to get back to it in September 90 after Brent passed and was part of your band for the last years, but they did. It is not Spring 90, but it is still enjoyable GOGD.

Okay so on to 6/30/84 tomorrow. Thanks.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Thanks for the update news jim. Bad news was I could not get He's Gone to download,,,, says bad request.

But that copy sounded better than the one I have.

I will keep working on it.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Hey there rockers!!

I was at that April 4 1985 Providence show. Being a huge Bob fan, being there for the breakout--and instantly recognizing it---was a career touring highlight for me. Fine fine fine................

Doc
Proud to steal her anything she sees
But you will wind up peeking through her keyhole
Down upon your knees

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Hey rockers!!!

Pick of the day: Avalon Ballroom April 6 1969

This was one of the first “unofficial” 1969 Dead recordings I ever heard. Even now, decades later, when I hear the radio announcer say “We take you now to the Avalon Ballroom in San Francisco, where the Grateful Dead are performing…….”, I get chills up and down my spine. Can you imagine sitting at home listening to something like this as it was actually happening?

There’s some chewy grease here, bacon greasy Pigpen material. A wonderful Baby Blue. Fabulous Cryptical/Other 1/Cryptical reprise, blazing rock in places, wonderous psychedelic fluidity in places. Typically dark, moody Death Don’t Have No Mercy, powerful and dark as death itself. And it’s all capped off with the crazy, classic, frantic pulled plug Viola Lee Blues.

To me, this always seemed like a very different kind of 1969 show. Exceptionally crunchy, no holds barred, nothing held back, very intense, focally ominous, occasionally challenging for the listener. Not all Grateful Dead was sweetness and light…..

And while I do love 2/28/69 (one of the greatest Dead shows ever), when I’m dead and buried I want a copy of 4/6/69 with me as I transition to the afterlife………………..

Doc
We die only once, and for such a long time……

Well I finally hit 4/3/70 and 9/18/90, but with todays pick I’m 3, 4? behind.

4/3/70 was another sorta short but sweet one. Really dug the unfinished Candyman and all the short versions of even the long songs. Oh yeah, little different version of Katie Mae too.

9/18/90 I’ll need to give a better listen to sometime, but was another beauty from that transitional tour.
I’ve been listening to a lot of 91 lately and so it was interesting to hear Bruce and Vinny still trying to figure parts out etc.

Today perhaps I’ll hit a mid-eighties two for…

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

But I am fitting 4/6/69 into the mix. The Flying Burrito Brothers opened, and that recording is on the Archive so we get an added bonus.

I plan to catch up on missed shows as soon as I finish my taxes...

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Hey Jim-----

Times a wastin', hurry up with them taxes!

Rock on,

Doc
The wages of sin are death, but by the time taxes are taken out, it's just sort of a tired feeling........

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

Twas playing on Sirius this morning. Maybe too late to suggest as a POTD, but that mix sure sounded good to these old ears.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by bigbrownie

Well, as much as I really enjoyed 6/30/84, I liked 4/4/85 better!
Recording did sound good, though I’m listening on average crap at work, it didn’t sound as bad as some of the other things I’ve been checking out, if that makes sense?

Who knew Indianapolis was the home to so many good shows? Great first set energy and set list.
Good Shakedown, six “songs” after Drumz and a Day Job!
Only drawbacks were JG had some vocal flubs, but played pretty solid.
Overall tight show!

85, my naughty mistress! It’s been too long, rrrrrrrrrrrrr! Great pick, not sure I ever heard this one, but you guys weren’t kidding! I remember Doc praising P town, so glad I was able to enjoy it finally and get a lil 85 fix in too.
Smoking energy, great first set list, although perhaps similar to the above? First She Belongs since 66, so basically first time lol. Only First set version but always a favorite! So wish they would have continued, sigh. Was fortunate to catch 2 outta 10 total, but wish it had been more. That and Believe it Or Not, which kinda had the same vibe for me?
Dug Miracle as set opener, and JG not messing around sliding right into CF.
Rest of second nothing out of the ordinary on paper, but from my causal listen working, seemed real energetic, but not manic like mid 80s can sometimes get, well played and JGs voice doesn’t sound too bad. I’ll have to recheck, but my recollection of 4/6 is a good show, but he sounds like he got the “tour” cold?
Still really dig 4/7! Such a fun show and perhaps my best Easter ever!

So, guessing DV will be all over that 12/11/79. If so, I’ll try to fit it in, but may start with 4/6/69 as in spite of all the hype I’ve not heard all the AVs?

It’s Murphy funny that I loaded up a bakers dozen or so shows so I’d have stuff at work since still no Net, so wouldn’t cha know folks are bringing pics outta the woodwork, which is nice lol.

Yeah Jim I’m waiting on our accountant to finish taxes, especially cause I’m getting whacked hard this year.
I’m afraid one of these days the crazy workaholic is going to drop dead in his chair working. To him that would be like dying on stage playing, but man, I’ve had enough bad luck lately ; ) “Come on buddy, just another week, you can do it!”
Onward!

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

……..is an outstanding show.

There is something special about the Fall of ‘79. For me at least, the greatness starts in Cape Cod on 10/27 and 10/28, and it culminates to this 12/11/79 show.
New Year’s ‘79 was special too. 12/26/79? Dicks Picks 5. What an epic show

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Man, OB, you know me to well. I would have to say yes to 12/11/79, which is also a birthday show for a good buddy.. I will put in the que for sure. Thanks Big Brownie for the nudge.
Adedhed68, so much to like about 79, but my favorites ebb and flow and right now it continues to be 11/5. I also think you should add 12/28 to the list. RT3.1.
Hey I hear you OB, if the sound system is not great, the shows can sound very different.
I tried a couple different sources of 6/30/84 and the vocals were a little low for my ears.
Okay back to 79 tomorrow all. And I need to check out the 85 show as well.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

The first set of 4/4/85 is special. Must have been a "mood" that night. At ~7:38 (IIRC) in tuning after Jack Straw you can hear Jerry ask "Monkey and the Engineer?" (no reply audible from Bob) and then they break into Dire Wolf. She Belongs To Me is a Jerry-singing-rarely-sung-cherished-Dylan gift, like Visions of Johanna. Esau > FOTD, Lost Sailor > Saint, Deal . Really and truly fine. For me Set II is solid good but not the "Special" of Set I.

I really really liked Indy 6/30/84. As some may have intuited '84 not really in my wheelhouse most days but this is a real very much solid good show to my ears. It had been ages since I listened to my tape of Set II and hearing the whole show was fun and fun and way very enjoyable. so much so that I'm listening to it again. I agree DV that the recording quality can be a barrier: it's a bit better for the 85 show, but I can still get my brain into the Indy 84 space. I think the Indy source tape changes mid 1st set and vocals are more up front from there on out, seem like from a real good audience to a solid SB for most of the remainder. And like R5Z "suggested" that Set 1 closing Deal is hot hot hot. As a Midwesterner born and raised, I always have a soft spot for those hot shows in places like Indy. And I'm back there now listening to Ramblin' Rose (that's a tune that shares a special place for me and my youngest brother). Set II is fat, trust me. Man, I love what's going in second 1/2 of drumz.

Fall > early winter '79 has so many good shows and solid recordings. Release the hounds and release them all! 12/3/79 will always have a special place in my heart as it was my 2nd show, I think its excellent (and it freaking was!) and never understood why it got dog piled like it did by some. Show after show in that time frame is great. Sampled a little of 12/11 and will definitely come back to the 2 nights at Soldiers and Sailors. And they've got to release 12/1 from Pittsburgh soon, right?! Like, that one is overdue!

So yesterday 4/6 was the 2 year anniversary of Bolo suggesting Pick of the Day. Thank you Bolo24 - this space has been so pleasant and at times flat out necessary to return to day after day. an oasis of cool in some really difficult times. I've heard so much new Dead and rediscovered a whole lot more. a true gift. so yes thank you Bolo and everyone who's been a part of this. and btw little bluecrow was 10 on 4/6/69 :) mIght have to fire up the John Deere for that one also and see what that kid missed!

Onward good friends!!

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by bluecrow

Here, here Bluecrow. Two years of this thread! Wow. It has been a blast and as we continue into the third year, let's keep it going. Thanks you all, a true team effort.

So, the new Vinyl E72 release, I am not into vinyl, but I think it is great for the people that are. Enjoy it.
However, for the rest of us, hard to know what is next, but I hope it includes some new music boxed up with CDs.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

It's the least we can do. Live large amigo.. enjoy your day.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Okay, let's get it rolling. And would love to hear about the show OB.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

No, wait, that comes later!

Surprisingly, 4/8&9/82 were the only shows that just the Booze brothers attended. We went with others, we met up at etc, but these were the only shows that just the three, well four of us if you include the Booze mobile! (I think it was the first year they switched from Galaxy 500 to LTD?)
By this point, the BM had been modified with not only dual overhead openers, but Jim had pulled out the carpet and drilled tiny holes in the floor and trunk. If going off on an excursion we’d fill the trunk up with PBRs (the official beer of the BB) and ice. When it melted it would drain through the holes. After the excursion, the BM floor could be hosed down in a jiffy. I think the only radio station that worked was the AM jazz station?
So we load er up and head up I90 for the Cuse.
Unfortunately the shows there (at least after 81?) were reserved seats, though most people didn’t pay too much attention to all that, but it made it hard to get close and they’re have those goofy old wooden fold up chairs on the floor. So we ended up hitting the first row of the side seats say about 15 rows back. Being in that first row you could sit and still see atop the floor crowd.
So I don’t remember too much about the show except it was the first time we’d seen them since they switched sides on stage. The other thing I still really remember was when Jers Wawa died before playing and Bob saying something like “Jerry’s Wawa gave its all to R&R or something and everybody went nuts.
But it gets interesting after the show. Jim and Keeko are tripping, but I was still a virgin. I probably should have that night as it was a crazy fun night, but I wasn’t ready yet I guess? Probably too scared after hearing so much hype, kinda like something else young folks anxiously await to be old enough for lol.
So, being it’s not far from Syracuse to Chrotchfester, we drive a bit to Ra cha cha, and pull into a motel, looks cheap, this should work. I stayed in the car but the 2 tripping fools go to the window, not the lobby (that should have been a sign).
So I can watch and tell somethings going on and these 2 are just busting over laughing while the guy in the booth is looking nervous. So they come stumbling back still cracking up as can happen under these conditions, and proceed to attempt (they’re booth laughing too hard to talk) to explain how the guy asked if we were some kind of weirdos wanting a hotel room for three dudes, “for the whole night”? like we were some kind of degenerates instead of his now obvious clientele!
So we finally get a room elsewhere and those guys are on fire with energy. Keeko was running, jumping, and doing Swan dives through the air, landing on the bed, yelling weeeeeee like a happy tyke. Now, you have to understand, Keeko was large, and so carrying a six pack and not going through the drive through was his idea of exercise. It’s the only night in all the years I knew him that he showed any kind of “energy” and it was one of the most fun nights watching this big kinda biker, well, more like Casper the friendly ghost with greasy jeans and a blue pocket tee shirt having more fun than even a child! Beautiful!
So after a short night of drinking and debauchery, and being already in town, it was off to the infamous California Brew Haus for liquid breakfast, where they had some ridiculous number of beers on tap etc. This was when things like St Pauli Girl and Heineken were exotic micro beer, at least in our backwoods environment so we’d been wanting to hit the Mecca for a long time.
The place wasn’t quite open, but they let us in and I can still close my eyes and picture being there. The smell of stale beer and cigarettes, and bleach, as they were still cleaning up after the previous nights local rock show etc.
The light, I can still remember the late afternoon light as the sun shown through the lingering haze and the way it filtered through my pitcher of Bass ale! We all got a pitcher of something we’d never heard of, or only dreamed of, and man the Bass ale was awesome! I just sat and looked at the light filtering through it for several minutes before pouring as it looked that good!
So after that we head to the Crotchfester show and as we’re pulling into the lot my still quite young cousins etc come running up and ask if they can stash their gear in our car?
So as I start to come out the back seat, the river of beer cans accumulated over the course of the road trip literally spills out and startles the kiddies. They’d only heard stories, up til now! We of course laughed our areses off.
There was just enough room in the huge back seat for a huge cooler, and me. My job as the junior tadpole member was to pop a top and hand it forward just as Klondike Keek drained his last pull. If I was tardy he’d fire the empty can back directly at me, if I was on time he’d simply drop the empty on the back floor and grab the fresh one in quick flash. So after a few days the empties would pile up, and being environmentally friendly types we didn’t want to liter!
So they kids then inquire about the trunk. So Jim pops the trunk, still relatively filled with beer and melting ice (hey, you can never too much but you can have not enough. Learned that in Boy Scouts!
The kids jaws hit the pavement and we all had great fun!
The Crotchfester show I went up front with the kids, but the 2 old veterans headed to their usual: first row of side seats about 15 or 20’ back. I believe I met the Wild Knights guys, or the early version members anyway in the front row.
But that’s a whole nother story…

My how things have changed in 40 years!

Disappointed that there doesn’t seem to be a good first set? Miller for set 2 though!

What a story. Those were the days. Tossing this show into a device, should be listening shortly.

Edit: Looks like audience only for the first set, correct? I am going with the Miller/ Frank Streeter for the first set and Miller Soundboard for the second, unless someone steers me towards a better recording.

I'm fitting this in on the set breaks of the Skull and Roses fest which is apparently streaming for free. Check it out at Livestream dot com frontslash fans. A pretty cool gift. I'm looking forward to getting familiar with several of the acts.

Love it OB! Yes, definitely remember the days when St. Pauli girl was the big import. It has probably been over twenty years since I have had a St. Pauli Girl. But used to love those and Beck's. If you remember those.
Thanks for sharing. Great story. And great 82.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Would love to see GOGD poke his head out from his turtle shell.. for the longest while he was a force on this thread.

Happy trails my friend, may the sun shine in your back door today

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

He was a quitter and left us alone and broken hearted standing on a corner…
NAaaaa, Just teasing, yeah, good ole was the man. As fun as we all try to make it, it’s just not the same without GOGD!

But at least we have the music and each other!
And speaking of the music, been playing ketchup:

4/6/69: interesting show, seemed different for early 69? Condensed maybe?
Audio was ruff, but another historic gem, though I’m not sure it lived up to the hype?
Meaning, I’ve not heard the Avalons, but have heard a lot about them.
And sometimes that’s the problem with hype/expectations, but in defense, I was working and not listening on good equipment? I guess I’ll need to relisten? But a fine pick none the less in our pursuit of going deep!

12/11/79: this is another that was all over for me, but again, not the best listening. I did the first set at work and felt like they had that end of tour, we already peaked vibe. Then finally caught the second set late last night so was tired and not feeling it. But boy that second set really gets going. I think it’s a fine show, but perhaps a step back from some of the previous monsters of this tour. That’s the thing with peaks, it’s downhill after, and from what shows I’ve heard so far this tour, 12/1 seems hard to beat! But just because your not the best doesn’t mean yer bad.
Overall I thought it was a good show, but the audio/mix wasn’t so good: JG often was lost in the mix etc. Which I think we’ve experienced on other recordings from this tour. Wasn’t that part of the criticism of 12/3?
But this is another I’ll have to give a better listen sometime?
Enjoyed the pick none the less!

4/8/82: it’s a shame the whole show wasn’t like that second set Miller.
First set seemed to be sorta status quo until that fierce Let It Grow, forgot about that one!
Seemed like from there on things picked up and was kinda a nice surprise.
Set list is nothing special but the playing is!
Seem to remember thinking Rochester was decent, but this one was better?
I guess I’ll roll that now, 4/9/82, but The Other One is at work today so I’m hitting at least a two fer, good chance for a DHB too!

I’ve got some other ideas lined up for later, but if someone has something else I’ll hold off?

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Don't tell me he owes you money too!! He told me he'd be right back.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Well, quiet here today?
Normal, healthy people are probably out enjoying the weather?

But we’re not lol, so how bout a taste of 11/1/73?
I think maybe Bluecrow brought this up?
Anywho, there’s only a Sirmick second set available but it gets good ratings…
So since it’s one of only three from fall 73 I haven’t heard yet, why the hell not!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Forgot to mention Chrotchfester 4/9/82.
And, in my reminiscence, forgot the cool part about Crazy Fingers!
So believe the situation was they must have been running late, but things were getting dicey waiting for the doors to open, this being GA. I wanna say they had let us in that goofy glass lobby on the side of the building?
But whatever, while we mashed etc suddenly you could hear music, live music, which of course stirred things up out in the mosh que even worse. People thinking the show was started and WTF are you not letting us in. It started getting kinda ugly, so you could see the fear in the eyes of the poor bastards manning the gates.
This was before high priced security outfits full of steroid bullies looking to clunk heads. No this was retirees and moms that worked PT to pick up a couple easy extra bucks. They were not about to risk bodily harm trying to stop a stampeding mob, so they did what most reasonable folks would do and let us in!
By now they’ve been at it for a while? More than one song but intelligibility was hard out there with all the chaos.
But now that we were in and making that mad dash to the front rail, you could see them in a little half circle, and gulp, they were playing Crazy Fingers, which hadn’t been played since 9/30/76, and wouldn’t get played until 7/18/82.
Well they kept at it seemingly unaware of our premature arrival for perhaps a minute or so. Then someone noticed and they turned and saw us and unfortunately stopped playing and left.
Certainly it was a late sound check as the lights were on and by how they were huddled about etc.
But because of what time it had been it was easy to think maybe the show had started?
So pretty cool non the less, but you have to wonder what might of been if they had the opportunity for a proper sound check of it?
And the show, wow, my listen to this one surprised more than Syracuse.
Some interesting set choices and the Miller sounds pretty fuggin good!
Worth checking out if you haven’t and love 82!

This 11/1/73 is sounding pretty fine too!

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Oroborous

11/1/73 McGaw Hall, Northwestern U., Evanston, IL.

I may well have brought this up awhile ago. Had a good board early on of Set II. Show was close to home so to speak. Born less than a mile away. Just a few miles from the family home at show time (I was a little bit too young for this.) It's a good one for sure! Enjoy!

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by bluecrow

Fortunately (or unfortunately) I already got sucked into the free stream for the Skull and Roses festival. It would be a big lift to weave a '73 show into set breaks and weaker acts.

What's the legal term.. conflict of interest, that's it. But I'd love to rain check. Unbroken chain.. yes.

sorta, but judges say no as 11/1/73 was only second set : (

But after stories about Crazy Fingers, and reminiscing about GOGD, I went with a really tasty one that he recommended from 6/8/92. I know DV and some folks aren’t hot on 92, but this one is worth a spin!
GOGD does it again, top shelf, where mama hides the cookies!

So quite the Grateful Day yesterday! 4/9/82, p/o 11/1/73, and 6/8/92! All 3 pleasant surprises, well 73 perhaps not a surprise…
Phew, I think I have one more in me today while the other one is at work, then tomorrow no Dead as we’ll both be home and after hitting 11 shows in six days I’ll need a break lol. I’m guessing some of our regular cohort might need some ketchup time too?
Cool week though as we hit 69, 70, 73, 79, 82, 84, 85, 90, and 92 here on POTDWD! Let’s keep the mother rolling!

Jim, glad your digging the fest. I didn’t realize Phil was going to be there. I sorta superficially tried to find a schedule, but found only the overall lineup? Did they play all four nights? I should have checked some of it out.
Ok, time for brunch!

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Phil plays tonight. It's been a great background montage while I putter through taxes. Lots of great acts most of which I have never seen before. It's free.. why not check in, guaranteed to improve your vibe. JGB with Seals and kadlecik served up some religion starting just about as Palm Sunday hit the East Coast last night. Didn't make it to Oteil, lots of good stuff and the price is right. It's basically free but they encourage one to donate to the Rex Foundation, which I did.. I'd call it a bargain.

Serving up some serious funk as I write this with Barry Sless on Guitar and several recognizable faces behind the cans, strings, amps and microphones.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Okay, so I will need to hit the second set from 11/1/73 and 6/8/92 tomorrow. Nice work OB. Enjoy your break.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I was tuning in too Jim, popping in and out this weekend. There were some great bands and some great takes on our favorite catalogue.

One highlight for me was seeing Bill Walton playing percussion with the electric waist band. He had the biggest smile on his fact the whole time.

The revolving stage was nice too - no break between bands!

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Slow Dog Noodle

Yes, grate show.
Watched the video yesterday.

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

I'm going with the video of this, as this show, 44 years ago today, was my first encounter with the future Mrs. Big.
It starts out a little off with Jerry's mic malfunctioning and the house lights on, so it's not exactly perfect, but it's a fine representation of Spring '78.

Saw bits and pieces of Skull and Roses fest..the band called Jerry's Middle Finger intrigued me. The guitarist was playing what looked like an Irwin, and he was able to coax some righteous Jerry effects out of it.

Yes, I, too saw Bill Walton on congas. That's my idea of a good time.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by bigbrownie

Haven’t heard that one yet from that fine tour, I’m down!
Playing hookey today, snowing like all get out up here!
Rescheduled my meeting, think I’ll stay safe and warm by the fire and
PLAY DEAD!

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Hey Big Brownie, I think I forgot to post about 12/11/79 last week. What a show, five dancing bears. I mean, what is not to like, early Brent era, with Easy to Love You, Minglewood, what a China Rider to close the first set. Shakedown to start the second set and the rest of the second set is A+ music and then that very unique two song encore with Alabama Getaway and Promise Land. Wow! This would make a great release.

Okay, so a 78 pick next. Alright. Enjoy that snow day OB. It is coming our way as well. I am ready to be done.

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

but now I am found.

Couldn't find my way home. Change in format here??? Is the sight wanting to keep discussions from prying eyes? Not sure, but logging in with old password definitely does not work. Ooops. Dont change passwords when also enjoying life's relaxing tonics.

Hope all are well here.

Enjoyed #41, had not posted since before then.

If this the new format, I kind of like posts being behind the curtain.

G

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

You did good.. somehow you found us.

Whew.. 'finished' my taxes. Now I just have to check and make sure everything is correct and file. I did ok this year.. ended up owing about a box set between Fed and the two states we owe money to. all is almost good with the world and I should be able to pick up on Pick of the Day a bit.

I should warn.. I think I am going to pay homage to E72's 50th anniv. Seem about right to me.

Onward.

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

In reply to by JimInMD

I also started 50th E72 a couple of weeks back, as unfortunately, I cannot listen to that much music that quickly. Not even in order, started with 1st show, but then jumped to Alain's and then Simonrob's first show. Did a couple of listens.

Also had one of those weird co-incides, I was hankerin for a good Smokestack. My mind ran to what was Pig's last Smoke. Went to Deadbase 50th, and saw and then perceived that it was DiP30. The date my mind went looking for that Smoke, was the 50th anniversary of that show with Bo Diddley and "Mona." March 25th. It was such a great listen. Listenend to that Smoke 7 or 8 times over the next couple of days. Meant a lot to me, as PigSmoke was the hook in my jowl that started my journey (off Bear's Choice).

For future reference DAVE and others, an excellent show I went to was 1988-10-15 Tampa. I have not even tracked down the board of that show or even listened to it in over a decade. Our tapes were pretty good, but now have to track down that board. Sure I have it on a hard drive. Whole show is excellent, if memory serves. If you have never heard that Truckin>Smokestack, it is an excellent version. Their is a moment in Truckin they transition the jam back to song format, but they just blow thru that normal transition point to extend the jam, loved that. Hopefuly, Dave might listen to and consider for release. Next day was Bob's birthday and it was a very good show but did not compare to night before. I need to right about those shows at some point, just lots to write.

Onward indeed, thinking about Bill Walton playing congas - Nice.

Went and saw Buddy Guy a couple of weeks ago, still puts on a great show. My buddies in their touring band opened for Buddy Guy, I guess, 25 years ago. Saw a couple of shows then, ole Buddy liked the Crown(Royal). At this show, their was Buddy's tech bringing him a coffee cup in between just about every song. Guessing he still likes the crown.

Now I cant remember is March 1978 the pick for #42?

I feel less encumbered posting underneath the hood of dead.net. Kind of like going commando.

G

Edit: Oh Yeah, supposed to see Primus in a couple of weeks...They are doing a tour "Tribute to Kings." They play all of Rush's "Farewell to Kings." Finally feeling healthy enough to get out and see shows and party some, feels most excellent.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

Careful Gary F., we don't want that thought of commando. I will have to look at that 1988 show. I think it might be a while before Dave gives us an 88 DaP. But you never know what he is going to do next.
#42 is from Winterland, 2/23/74 and I hope we see it soon.

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Thanks. Was a bit confused about #42. Know that will be a doozy. Cant wait.

Been in 80's and 90's for a while as I tweak stereo. The clarity of #40 is amazing, some good jammin also. #40 really shows clarity and shows how good the sound was. Incredible advancement. Buddy Guy had really good sound but didnt compare to the last shows I saw, and that was 33 years ago. Bear/Dan (and all others) really pushed sound way beyond what most engineers understand today. Wow.

Generally the commando days are long gone. As with many other things... might have bought my last ounce as medical now legal here, but probably not.

Anybody else heard of "shatter?"

G

And I too remember the long gone days of European import beer, now in my hometown we have 5 brewers and they are very good, Still, for now, Newcastle is my choice for a splurge,

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

Me too.. especially during tax season.

After April 15th, with the occasional E72 show.. I hope to be more active. Thanks to all for keeping the train a rollin'. GFar, we need a new infusion of shows and ambition, good to see some 80's and 90's love, nothing is off limits here. Feel free to push your own wish list. Pick a show, the worst that might happen is we listen to JGB or Phish instead..

This thread seems to have taken the life of free jazz.. people come and ambitions flow and ebb.. in the end, someone suggests a show and so it is. Thankfully, there has been great cooperation and very little hate.

and do it is.

I do have a tax question, if there are any accountants out there. If you throw your wife's cigar box full of tax receipts out the window and nobody hears it hit the ground, did it really exist?

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Hey Jim,
We should give Gary's show a go, for tomorrow, 10/15/88. It looks like there is 2021 Miller transfer from Pearson/Healy.
I am willing to give it a go. What do you all think?

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

I didn't notice this was a pick, I thought he was giving a shout out to Lemieux. Sure, I am in. I am getting boosted again tomorrow so some 88 might help me kick the blues away.

I also missed the shatter reference. I've yet to try that. It's one of those concentrations they steer you towards a new device, but I hear you can break it up and put it over your weed like hash. I have also heard a few say, "it's too potent for me" Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess.

I am easily distracted, sorry for that. Things will free up tomorrow, I am on the back nine. If I wasn't so cheap I would hire this stuff out instead of struggling but I get the feeling others would not do a great job.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

So, now that the new season of the Deadcast is rolling along, it's sparked the fire for Europe 72! I've been grooving to the England shows (Bickershaw: 5/7/72 at this moment). Love it!

Peace,

-Dave

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Think I am going to take your suggestion and listen to St.Pete(Tampa) Bayfront. Found the nice board you recommended. Cant wait to listen to again later today. Hard to believe that I have not been to Archive in 8 years or so. Since going official release and having Sirius GD channel, I am drowning in riches of my favorite band and music. As is known, I am a all era man. Bet this will be a delightful re-visit,maybe with the possibility of new discovery. Mind Blown.

Real quick, back to the PigSmoke, I was actually perusing thru E72, looking for a E72 PigSmoke. Didnt see any on the disk set,so went to Deadbase,found there wasn't an E72 PigSmoke. A bit revelatory for me. So I stumbled on the March 25th date in the song list for Smokestack. Was floored that it was the Angel's private party with some friends. I may listen to that Smoke again before I put it up for now. It is such a sad statement to have Pig's last Smoke. Priceless Gold toMe.

ooopshedoobby Im in tatters, shattered shattered. Yeah it is translucent amber colored, and it is potent. I have to write about last dose I took at my last show. I actually got right to the point of freakout and considered getting help and leaving the show. I took two small hits, like creeper, it expands once inhaled. I got so high and such a rush, I had to sit down, watch my friend work on a dragster (car). I sat down and told myself, "Self, this will pass in a minute." Only time THC rivaled a strong sugar cube (cube was 1989-10-9.)

I will write about more of this stuff later.

So glad I found my way back. I look at E72-50th and see so many fresh faces (to me) posting. Probably wont buy any of this,but you never know,my weaker side may prevail.

Again thanks guys.

G