• 7,817 replies
    marye
    Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • DeadVikes

Great show Jim. Good first set, recording is good. Yes, love that Scarlet, Touch, Fire,Man Smart. Good Miracle Stella Blue, Sugar Mag finish and then wait, what, a Dark Star encore. Billy must have loved this one.

Think I might check out 7/6/84 from Alpine next.

• daverock

I had this on a tape back in the day too. It was one of those shows where I was never quite sure if it was a very high energy show - or if my recording had been done at the wrong speed.

• billy the kiddd

Maybe they are saving it for a Greek Theatre Box set. Fun show, they played alot of my favorite songs.

• icecrmcnkd

Good stuff.
    Had it on cassette years ago.

• Oroborous

Hey Jim, think I might go 6 6 69 thru 7 7
    prolly starting next w e e k after my current 84 s w i n g
    Perhaps yee all might want a play along?
    Get the deer fired up!

• Oroborous

6/10/73, I too hit the last two discs and fully dug.
    It’s a shame DB wasn’t more comfortable with the boys and/or had more chance to jam. All discussed in one of those ABB books out sorta recently.

7/13/84 is a good 84 outing. Can’t believe it’s not been released being a Pinkus first show, and…
    Gonna wait till summer for that as I’m back in research mode, chipping away at the mother load!
    ONWARD!

Hit the 8&9 DV, you’ll thank me!

• JimInMD

I've only listened to 7/13 from this run, at least that I can remember. I enjoyed it. I'm going to dig in on the other two but 7/13 gets the most love.

• DeadVikes

I am in. I have never heard this show. Thanks Jim.

• JimInMD

I was thinking of the 7/13 show for the Scarlet/touch/fire because the arrangement derivation reminds me of the Frost Shows in DaP 49. I might do 7/15 for the PITB / UJB. Sometimes in this era the ferocity of Jerry's Playing is contagious. It's also got a late era non-disco Dancin' in Streets and Do It In The Road, a nice prelude to what we would see develop in 1985.

One last later era show and perhaps next time I'll go way back.

• DeadVikes

You call it Jim.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months
Bolo24 says: An Idea, Perhaps? Since we're all going to have a fair amount of spare time on our hands for the foreseeable future, what about starting another thread where we all listen to the same show/release on a given day and then share impressions afterward? Folks can submit suggestions and one person (not me) picks what we'll all listen to - call it Deadnet Picks or something. Anyway, if this idea is deemed to have merit, I'd suggest one of the loyal regular posters take the lead and do the picking - y'all can decide who. Might be fun. If it does go forward, I nominate Dick's Picks 18 for the first listen. Been talked about here lately, and, had it been a single show rather than a compilation, we'd probably be talking about it in the same conversation as Cornell, Veneta, etc. Or perhaps even Gainesville?? Stay safe and healthy, friends - this planet needs as many Deadheads as possible.

I noticed that too. It was also released as Grateful Dead Download Series Volume 12 in April 2006. I've got that. I wonder how the sound compares to the new Miller.

I'm hoping to get to this tonight... my afternoon is toast.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by JimInMD

all ears : )

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Mornin', rockers!!!

Pick of the day: April 18, 1969 Purdue University, Lafayette, IN

A short sharp shot of good old Grateful Dead, just before the supernova Ark shows. Raw, raucous, and rowdy, just the way I like my early Dead. It's got the grease, it's got the jams, what's not to like???

The talented Mr Miller did a remaster of this one also, quite a while back, and while it's a little rough here and there, it's certainly worth a listen..............

Rock on,

Doc
Memory is a complicated thing, a relative to truth, but not its twin......

user picture

Member for

4 years 1 month

In reply to by DeadVikes

OB & DV ...re: Omaha 73, I've had a sb on cassette for maybe 40 years ... one of my favorite shows. The PITB>1/2 Step>BigRiver>PITB is glorious, and the rest aint bad either! Grew up there, but was too young to be at the Civic at the time..... You want a hoot, enjoy the BIODTL!

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by topchinacat

Started last night, finishing now.
Good stuff.

Listening to the download series version.
Anyone compare it to the new torrent version?

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Hey Topchinacat, I like that name.
Yes, I gave this one a go, recording was decent, not great. Would love to hear an upgrade of this show. I am assuming you have an audience copy? This was of course a good stretch, as after Omaha they headed up to The Met Center in Bloomington MN, where the North Stars used to play and then to Dane County.
Anybody out there receive their #42?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

as soon as our drummer learns to count to 20

Topchinacat, good to see ya! Yaaasss, nice under the radar show!
Really enjoyed this in spite of looks on paper: no big dogs
I picked it only because it’s one of like 3 from this tour I haven’t heard any of.
So it was a nice surprise as I’ve never heard it mentioned.

Mulling through 4/18/69 now. Good show, recording not great, but not bad for the time either.
4/17/69 my second disc is unplayable but I’m going to fire up the first disc later.

Edit: after receiving notice a week ago, 42 has started moving last night. Says due Thursday, but I won’t hold my breath. All good as long as it gets here.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Oroborous

how in the hell is there only one circulating audience tape of Alpine 6/26/87? Not only are the boards for this run MIA, but only 1 audience (currently on Archive is simple benchmark) in a very thoroughly taped year of our lord 1987? like wth?

3/9/92: spun this up after some 69 lovin’
Decent first, nice Cassidy.
2nd, Victims not bad, but not the beast it used to be, fun Iko, Corrina sounds a little flat, then, after a sorta abrupt end, Jer keeps it going and they get into a little jam and eventually Dark Star. From the Corrina jam onward this set is pretty fine. Another calming space (better than therapy) with a sweet Shenandoah theme, into a status quo Miracle, with a Decent Dew (one hiccup early) to bring her home. A loose but fun Satisfaction encore.
Mind blowing, perhaps not, but another enjoyable show, and a solid 92 outing.

Bluecrow: good question?

Anyone up for a double shot of Nitecat over the next day or 2?
Was thinking 6/7&8/80 might round out a nice WE. And it seams appropriate to pair em, no?
I’ve only heard one set I had on tape, and after seeing several great D&C shows at Folsom, have always wanted to check these out…and wonder what it must have been like seeing a show at the peoples republic way back then. I’m sure things are much different.
Plus I’d like to hear the recordings on my home gear.
Just a thought…

Yes Oro, it's a damn good question. This was a smoking crater of a show in 1987, "known" venue, first night of summer tour. 1 tape??

Cassidy jam way out there. Deal maybe the craziest I saw? Estimated?? Brent channeling dinosaurs, or maybe it was Healy?? Watchtower??!! Whole show is nutz.

Damn i might have to bust out my audience from the vault, hook up the HK deck, and see how it compares

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by bluecrow

Hey Bluecrow, yes the 87 Apline shows were great. Don't worry, we will all have great versions when the box comes out.

1980 works for me, and you were thinking, Nitecat's, absolutely!

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

15th Anniversary shows. Drove all the way from Gunnison (and back same night) to catch up with Front Range friends at the Sunday show. Rip roaring start with Uncle John > Playin > Uncle John and ends with a double encore Alabama > Brokedown. This one was a rocker and the sound was excellent. I was first tier up off the field on Brent's side. He absolutely revitalized their game. Big hiatus after that for me, all the way to 1990 Compton Terrace. Got lost in the woods.
Cheers!

Better late than never.

One reviewer compared this to 5/2/70 Harpur College. I think it is more akin to Château D'Hérouville, but no matter. It's a great little show that's small and compartmentalized enough that one can absorb it even after a difficult day starting late and a little buzzed. A perfect late Saturday night closer, but who am I to judge.

Another new one for me and for that I am grateful. A good one to boot. What's not to like.

Edit: I no sooner posted this than noticed a whole page of comments appeared (I have been gone since early this am and was replying to Doc's suggestion). Great to see lots going on here... even if I am late to reply. Still, loved 4.18.69, but it's right up my wheelhouse and I was in the mood for just such an adventure.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Hey, rockers!!!

Pick of the day: Alfred College May 1, 1970

May 1970. The nation in conflict, colleges in turmoil, and friendly campus visits from everybody’s favorite hippy band, the Grateful Dead.

Musically speaking, I always thought May 1970 was a great month for the band. Naturally everybody knows of Harper College, the Fillmore East late show, the MIT free show, the Hollywood Festival, and even Kirkwood. But who knows about Alfred College?

Alfred opens with a short but sweet five song acoustic set. The second set opens crunchy with Not Fade Away and has decent doses of grease and jammy gooey goodness. One never hears about this show, but it’ll do quite nicely…………..

This is “a nice little show” that would make a great official release some day…….

Until then, there’s a Miller remaster, treat your ears to it!!!

Doc
The sole art that suits me is that which, rising from unrest, tends toward serenity…..

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Sounds a lot like the one I looked up last week, my sister's first show 4/24/70 from Mammoth Gardens. Now she tells me she also saw the final Jimmy Hendrix Experience performance of 6/29/69 at the Denver Pop Festival a couple of months before Woodstock. Wow, ya think ya know someone and then you find out she's way hipper than you knew.
Cheers!

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

From the vantage point of the 21st century, seeing Jimi Hendrix live seems more like a supernatural event than a rock concert.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by daverock

1st Show - RUFKM - I would have bet good money that no way in heck that in 1980 there was show opener UJB > Playing > UJB. Unreal.

So I clicked in on Friend of the Devil from night before (cave up in the hills mythos) and it may be the best post-Keith / Brent-era FOTD I have ever heard (and no, not a backhanded compliment - its really really good.) Ramble on Rose - you bet ya! This first set kicks it.

They are very much "on" opening 6/7 - Colorado always brought out the hi-energy best . And no doubt same for 6/8. Can't help but notice that soundboards of these 2 shows are not in general circulation. release worthy 1980.

I saw the show almost just prior to this Folsum 2-fer, Minneapolis 5/31. Set II has got some fun and interesting song selection. They seem to be in a strong space just then?

I don’t know if you saw my post regarding your Sis’ Mammoth Garden show. 2 nights for sure, and recording attributed to 4/24 is, in fact, from the second night 4/25 (per JGMF blogspot). Did your sister have any foggy/clear recollections of the Mammoth Garden show she saw? Of seeing Hendrix in Denver?

So yes, agree DR Seeing Jimi = Supernatural Event

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

No, I was too busy BMXing my 5-speed Stingray Fastback over table tops in the dirt fields of Dry Creek in S.Denver to be going to shows in '70. Sis said the Mammoth show was trippy and like a big roller rink (wider than it was long so you were close no matter where you stood, and black lights and a really good sound system). Hendrix not so good. Maybe not her thing at that time. All a bit vague. I can imagine. I didn't trip until I was 19 or so.
Edit: I've created a monster, she's looking up a Johnny Winter show from around '73 too. All you have to do is connect some unused synapses and voila'.
Edit 2: Oh yeah, and I just emailed her about the years she lived in SF CA ('72-'75?) Total hippies driving out in a '50s International bread truck converted into a camper with the required Indian print cotton spread on the ceiling and following a guy named Father who was an Indian mystic. Incredible guy for real.

user picture

Member for

4 years 1 month

In reply to by Oroborous

thanks OB & DV... I'm a long time listener, first time caller to this site ... have to say how much I appreciate all the reviews, comments & recommendations.... years/shows I probably would have passed over turn out to be gems! My first show was Pauley (ucla) '82 ... did most of the west coast shows pretty intensely for about 5 years, tape collection of prob 400+ hours. I had a pal who had copied sound boards (1st gen?) onto reel-to-reel .... he let me borrow & copy them and I was hooked. The Omaha '73 sb I have is the same as what's in archive, judging by the missing start to HCS. Thanks again to all for the great tips, reviews & enthusiasm. My two most memorable dead events was the "annual Red Rocks rain out" of '82 and the Friday 13th ('84) Dark Star at the Greek. I still get an ear-to-ear grin!....tc

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Experience Vinyl has pushed release dates back to "summer 2022".

Not too vague :-)

For those that were wondering.

Is that one of the releases you mean, Dennis ? That was supposed to be being re-released last year-I had it on order for about 12 months-then my order was cancelled and it never came out. Good if it finally does.

Istshow - interesting that your sister only considered the Hendrix concert not so good. I didn't start going to gigs until 1972, and Hendrix cast a massive shadow over the 70's. So for someone like me he was already mythic. But if you actually saw him, it might have been more a case of "yeah, he was okay, but..."
I know from events I experienced, bands I saw etc, that the reality I experienced was often very different from how it has been written about and presented subsequently.
Sorry for diverting !

Yes.

Experience Vinyl is releasing the entire vault series,,, I ordered back in January, but the dates keep getting pushed back.

Also, the idiot that I am I ended up ordering two copies of Vault 1. (and they both have been pushed back :-) )

Like the old saying - “They also serve who only stand and wait.”

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by topchinacat

Hey Topchinacat, 82 was a good year to get the ball rolling and at Pauly Pavilion. That must have been fun. Would love to see more 82 released. A lot to offer. Thanks for joining in on the fun.

How about releasing the official fifteen year anniversary show from 6/8/80. You are right Bluecrow, what a start with the Uncle John's Band ,Playing, UJB. I have it going now. Man, these guys are good.
Was that John Scheer in CO with the introduction?

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Yup. Did he use his patented, "OK..... the finest band in the land, The Grateful Dead!" ? Isn't he the one on the Englishtown introductions?
Cheers
Edit: My ticket stub says Feyline and CU Program Council. I'll give it a listen.
Edit 2: Yeah, that's him.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

Yes, he is the promoter from the Englishtown show. I thought he was mainly an East Coast promoter and thought it was odd he was in CO in 1980?
But I guess it was the official 15th anniversary show, so maybe that is why?

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by Dennis

Surprisingly I don't think I've done this yet. If the records/cds don't arrive the day after I have ordered them, I usually forget what it is I have ordered though. So opening the large 12"" sized packages is often a voyage of discovery. Box set of cds? vinyl? Quite exciting - whoever orders these things has excellent taste.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

Hit 6/780 & 6/8/80 yesterday and 5/1/70 today.

Finally got to scratch the Folsom 80 itch as I’d only heard the second set from 6/8 previously.
Good sheet Mon! And nice job, again, Nitecat!
The seventh built up nicely and how can you go wrong with an opening like the 8th.

5/1/70 was ok, nothing mind blowing, good little show for at work. Another that I’ve been meaning to check out as I went on a field trip there to check it out in HS. Not sure if I was seriously interested in going there or just wanted to get out of school and road trip lol. Obviously wasn’t a good student back then.
Quite the difference between this and it’s famous neighbor…more notches in the ole Deadbase bedpost!
NEXT!

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

How were the 1980 shows? Both off my radar. I think I missed the fall 73 show also.. argh, responsibilities. I hate being responsible, but someone's gotta do it. Take a load of fannie.... a song with more meaning to me than words can express.

So steer me guys, of the three mentioned, where should I go today? Or should we just start anew? I might be getting my 42 soon, which will only gum up the wheels further, but in a good way.

Also.. I've been neglectful on a couple of my slipped promises. Burning a few now and putting a package together soon.

Hey Jim, it happens, we all fall behind. The 1980 shows are fantastic, I would definitely recommend both 15 anniversary shows. I really liked 6/8. But I am biased on 1980.
Thanks for the picks OB.
Send us something new Jim.

Good to hear you are starting to see #42 out there.
These are all shipped through UPS Mail innovations and UPS my choice still says I have no packages on the way. Why??

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Don’t want to pile on so thinking 5/18/77 Fox?
Guessing Jim’s heard it so he can catch up, but those needing an immediate fix can score?
But I’m open to suggestions…

This is one off of Dave’s list, but reviews are somewhat mixed i.e., it’s great, versus its good but not great etc, no one said it sucked…if used as pick, would Dave have gone to the right street but wrong house again? We’ll let you decide.
Of course there’s not many houses left on that street.

His job is to shed light, not to master: all 3 of those shows are good in their own ways. Obviously era differences, but all are good era comparatively. So Chever way your pleasure tends.
All good things my friend! Time is elastic, keep at it and it will loosen.
Having to be an adult can really suck, especially when one is not prepared to be one. At least that’s my story lol.
Hang in there baby (remember those posters with the cat?)

Topchinacat: Glad you jumped in, need more folks to participate, we won’t bite!

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

The other Fox show from 1977. Have never listened to this one but I will get it going, I mean we better, it is not very often OB recommends a 77 show.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

What too obvious? :-P

P.S. Traffic Lights (get all the pole) and Crosswalks (get all the paint)

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

you been hangin’ out at the Bong Rec center again ; ) I wish I had 42! Hopefully I can drive the Other Half nuts this WE!
Oh, speaking of, she thinks there should be a board for “Deadhead significant others”, a place where the poor folks who have to live with us nuts can commiserate! Perhaps we should lobby Marye?

DV, recommend is a strong word!
Occasionally I might actually recommend something, but usually I’m just scratching some itch, or more likely shooting in the dark lol. I don’t know what I’m goin for, but I’m gonna go for it fo sure!
To go where not many Deadheads have gone before! Like Star Trek for shows!

5/18/77: so as I said, this was on Dave’s “list” which we’ve been trying to chip away at the last couple years.
It’s May 77 so definitely not a bad show, but it seemed a tad lesser than some of its neighbors.
This is perhaps why it hasn’t been released?
Meaning, the bar can be pretty high when it comes to May 77, so though this was a good show, I didn’t find it great, comparatively. Like it’s good, but not Buffalo good…
Hopefully that makes sense and no one’s going to torch my house tonight lol.
Daves 41 I found to be up to the task, for example.
Now, my listening conditions where not optimum, but I think I was able to get a good enough read? But maybe not?
Interested to know how y’all feel about this one?
I’m sure some 77 nuts will want this (all 77) out, but I’m from the camp that feels there’s enough 77, at least for a while, since it’s been covered more than any other year: 5 DP, 6 DaP, 1 RT, 1 DL, and four boxes if you include Hartford.
To me, this would be another good street, wrong house pick, of course he’s been to all the other houses already lol.

So since no one’s offered up a pick, I might hit some more 82. Perhaps a little west coast warm vibe on this cold snowy morn? Say 7/17/82 and/or 7/18/82? A little California dreaming for hump day?
Maybe tomorrow Doc can take us primal again, though we’d love to hear from some new blood, or GOGD, Cept he’s a slacker now ; )

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Hey OB, we will take a 77 show mention out of you.
I like this show. Sound quality is great. Enjoyed the whole show. Love these early versions of Jack a Roe. Great FOD. Groovy Estimated Eyes. Stella Blue! And close it out with Brokedown Palace, yes! Another good May 77. Not sure if it ever gets released, but who knows. I think they will release more 77, would love to see 10/2/77. One of my favorites from the fall. But hey, more variety, mix it up, absolutely. Like start hitting the early Brent years a little more......

Was thinking about other Nassau show from Spring 1990 for tomorrow, 3/30/90. Everyone knows that night before with BM. Let me know.

Still no tracking for me.
Conekid, did you get notified through UPS my choice?

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

has safely made port here in the high desert red rock country.

dug deep into the vault yesterday and pulled out the discs for rockin the cradle (Egypt '78).

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

It took 5 days from the “your order has shipped” email from the GD Store until UPS My Choice said “package received for processing”.
It then took another week for transport and delivery.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Thanks Conekid.
I am at day eight with your order has shipped and still nothing in UPS or USPS.

Enjoy it.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

My "Your Order Has Been Shipped" email sent, I think the 28th still reads my shipping label has been created with no updates.

Par for the course. I have waited 48 years for this, what's another few days.

Still.. I want a job in the Shipping Label Created department at Rhino. Looks to be a kushy gig..

Too funny Jim, laughing hard!

Yes, it is really hard to understand their process, maddening at times. I try not to think about, but I will for now. I can go on eBay right now and buy #42 sealed with bonus disc, but loyal fans like us can't even get tracking information on orders we placed in early November, much less our CDs. Come on!
I have said it before, but how did I get on this shit list and how do I get off it?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

More like their smoking too much kush!
Great idea, have the whole thing, right down to the shipping crew, be actual Dead Heads!

DV, I think it’s because your a Viking fan ; )

Mine has the same message and has been sitting in GJ since the 2. BUT, the green slider thing on the bottom has moved almost all the way to the end so maybe it wall show up tonight like it says?
Whatever, just so it gets here. Yeah Jim, like pops used to say “you made it through life this long without it”

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Ok, it’ll be interesting how it sounds off of interweb. Should be good for the task at hand!

Glad you liked 5/18/77. I wouldn’t consider it a release or not soon anyway, but Dave has it on that list so it’ll probably be next years first pick,lol.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Hey rockers!!!

Pick Of The Day: MIT Free show, May 6 1970

A cold day in May brings forth some hot music...........

Was free then, is free now.....................

Absolutely worth a listen.........

Rock on,

Doc
No one is free, even the birds are chained to the sky.............

I'm in for 5/6. It's been ages since I listened to it. A neat little show with some history I believe..

Up early on my second cup of strong, dark roasted Kenya Nyeri Chinga. Yummi Double Dose.

I like almost all the spring 1970 stuff that was fortunately recorded. Some of these are sleeper, under the radar shows or as Doc says - well worth a listen. I like Alfred a lot for some reason too. Bottled history that seems to improve with age. When you take these shows in context that have something to say. I think this one might have been the first time they played since the Kent State Massacre, if not the first very soon after.

Anyway enough caffeinated blabbering, I'm in.

Man, they played some goods shows at Nassau Coliseum and this one to my ears is one of the better ones. I haven't listened to the full show in years. Of course you start with a Help Slip Franklins and end with an Attics of My Life. And all kinds of greatness in between.

Hope you were able to enjoy it OB. Jim, you are still behind.

It is finally warm here in MN. Enjoy the weekend all.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

And it looks like I was behind on the thread and did not see 3/30/90 suggested. Looks like I am in for a twofer today, which is just fine with me.

Stay warm and dry all.. it's cold rain here in the mountains East.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by JimInMD

what a kick ass show. every freaking second. started yesterday afternoon and finished this morning. Great late era Help > Slip > Frank opener. Excellent Standing on the Moon, such a beautiful song. Attics?- OMFG. what a mind blowing encore. riding the same big wave of the previous night. Listened to the Miller cause I don't have either box - what was I thinking back then?!

I mentioned the Egypt release a few days ago though not specifically as a POTD. It was something of a disappointment back then. I guess they chose it because it was a multitrack and an epic adventure. Been years since I listened to it. so far given Disc 2 and the bonus several spins. its got its moments. the Shakedown is very cool to me. I got to thinking that it had to be only the second or third time they played it and sure enough it was second time.

4/17/69. thanks Doc! ran through this one several times. more classic '69 goodness. is that Bobby playing slide on that early Hard to Handle? seems a tad rough. the It's a Sin segue in St. Stephen is energetically jarring, interesting but not really feeling it (will have to "relisten" again.) Really painful to have Caution cut off like that. Damn.

Have a good safe and fun weekend everyone. Started in on DaP 42 and boy does it sound sweet. So that's where you'll find me later today.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by bluecrow

Agree with you wholeheartedly on 3/30/90.

I will take the Egypt release with me in the car today. Such a fascinating trip, the whole process, how it came about, financing the trip, borrowing the Who's sound system from London. And there is a lot of good music there. My memory is the bonus disc wasn't that great, but I will have to check it out again and confirm.
Enjoy your #42, mine is now scheduled for next Wednesday. So at some point I will join you all..
And I hope we don't have to wait until July/August until we find out about this year's box.