• 1,689 replies
    admin
    jq171(document).ready(function (jq171) { var covertArtDownloadMarkup = 'Looking for the digital cover art? You can download it here.'; setTimeout(function() { jq171('#digital_cart').append(covertArtDownloadMarkup); }, 500); });

What's Inside:
    •144-page paperback book with essays by Nicholas G. Meriwether and Blair Jackson
    •A portfolio with three art prints by Jessica Dessner
    • Replica ticket stubs and backstage passes for all eight shows
    •8 complete shows on 23 discs
          •3/14/90 Capital Centre, Landover, MD
          •3/18/90 Civic Center, Hartford, CT
          •3/21/90 Copps Coliseum, Hamilton, Ontario
          •3/25/90 Knickerbocker Arena, Albany, NY
          •3/28/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY
          •3/29/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY (featuring Branford Marsalis)
          •4/1/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA
          •4/3/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA
    Recorded by long-time Grateful Dead audio engineer John Cutler
    Mixed from the master 24-track analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios
    Mastered to HDCD specs by David Glasser
    Original Art by Jessica Dessner
    Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 9,000

Announcing Spring 1990 (The Other One)

"If every concert tells a tale, then every tour writes an epic. Spring 1990 felt that way: an epic with more than its share of genius and drama, brilliance and tension. And that is why the rest of the music of that tour deserves this release, why the rest of those stories need to be heard." - Nicholas G. Meriwether

Some consider Spring 1990 the last great Grateful Dead tour. That it may be. In spite of outside difficulties and downsides, nothing could deter the Grateful Dead from crafting lightness from darkness. They were overwhelmingly triumphant in doing what they came to do, what they did best — forging powerful explorations in music. Yes, it was the music that would propel their legacy further, young fans joining the ranks with veteran Dead Heads, Jerry wondering "where do they keep coming from?" — a sentiment that still rings true today, a sentiment that offers up another opportunity for an exceptional release from a tour that serves as transcendental chapter in the Grateful Dead masterpiece.

With Spring 1990 (The Other One), you'll have the chance to explore another eight complete shows from this chapter, the band elevating their game to deliver inspired performances of concert staples (“Tennessee Jed” and “Sugar Magnolia”), exceptional covers (Dylan’s “When I Paint My Masterpiece” and the band’s last performance of the Beatles’ “Revolution”) and rare gems (the first “Loose Lucy” in 16 years) as well as many songs from Built To Last, which had been released the previous fall and would become the Dead’s final studio album. Also among the eight is one of the most sought-after shows in the Dead canon: the March, 29, 1990 show at Nassau Coliseum, where Grammy®-winning saxophonist Branford Marsalis sat in with the group. The entire second set is one continuous highlight, especially the breathtaking version of “Dark Star.”

For those of you who are keeping track, this release also marks a significant milestone as now, across the two Spring 1990 boxed sets, Dozin At The Knick, and Terrapin Limited, the entire spring tour of 1990 has been officially released, making it only the second Grateful Dead tour, after Europe 1972, to have that honor.

Now shipping, you'll want to order your copy soon as these beautiful boxes are going, going, gone...

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • protondecay123
    Default Avatar
    To Fully reconstruct the show from 3/24/1990 at the Knick, you would need to buy " Without A Net " for the One More Saturday Night that closed the 1st Set, Postcards of the Hanging to get the Desolation Row that followed Loser in the 1st set, Dozin' at the Knick for Walking Blues in the 1st set and all of the 2nd set, and Spring 1990 (The Other One) to get the other songs from the 1st set. That show got hacked to pieces.
  • eyes43
    Does anyone have any definitive information on what exactly this is? Heres a link to the ebay item, it has sold, so if you click on this link and you are on a computer or phone, you will need to click on the item to see the original listing. Then you can see the photos, and the numbered coin, which instead of havings its own number, it says, "miracle"? Im thinking this might be what they decided to do with promo copies, instead of leaving it blank, or stamping it "promo" like the FW69 boxset. The Dave's Picks series, all have blank promo copies. (Would be very interesting to know how many promos they make for each of these limited edition items!!) Ok, heres the link:http://m.ebay.com/itm/Grateful-Dead-Spring-1990-The-Other-One-Box-Set-M… If you have the ebay app, you can also just enter this number in the search box, and it will bring you to the same item. Again, it has already sold, so you will need to click on it, to open the original listing. That item number is: 162549487635 Id really like to know what the miracle means on the numbered coins...it makes sense that it would be a promo, that they sent out to reviewers and whomever else is lucky enough to get all this stuff, we all do everything we can to afford, for free! And instead of stamping promo, or leaving blank, they stamped miracle, as in here is your miracle (free) 1990 spring TOO boxset!!! Must be nice!!! Still, though, would like to know for sure! Thanks.
  • company
    Default Avatar
    I'd check for you but I didn't order this box. Hopefully someone who did will be kind enough to take 5 mins to get you some confirmation so you don't think you're going nuts! beet juice
  • antonjo
    purplekush, I know this is a year after your post, but just for the record, gotta call b/s on your song-length observations: "7 minute Halfstep" ~ yeah, that's short, but so is 12/19/73 (7:29) "8 minute playin's" ~ 8:56 (7/1/78), meanwhile 10:27 (3/14/90), 11:40 (4/3/90) "17 minutes for a Help On The Way>Slipknot>Franklins Tower TOTAL" ~ 14:50 (8/13/75) "8 or 9 minute China-Cat>Rider has no time to even find a groove" ~ 13:17 (3/15/90), 11:09 (3/26/90), 10:24 (4/01/90), 11:05 (9/19/90) No 8 or 9-minute versions I could find on any of my '90 releases. "a 19 minute Scarlet-fire it's over before it starts" ~ really? I guess these are, too? : 19:33 (10/16/77), 18:01 (11/2/77), 18:16 (5/11/78), 19:55 (7/3/78), 18:28 (7/7/78) 3/16/90's Scarlet > Estimated is 22:25. Incidentally, 11/4/77's Other One = 4:25, and 7/5/78's Truckin' = 7:29. They're both pretty hot, though. Morals of the story ~ some older years boast just as short or shorter lengths as '90; not all '90 lengths are as short as you claimed; and most importantly, song lengths alone do not tell the tale on performance heat. I do share your wish for one of the Fall '73 shows with horns!
  • simonrob
    The problem with posting when a release finally sells out is that it inevitably becomes available again a day or two later. Won't make that mistake again. Stranger than fiction.
  • Fogle
    Pulled the trigger just in time this afternoon... Mickey's damn Beam told me, turns out it was the right call. Feels all the more special that it came so close. I'll be returning home to this precious package after nearly 4 months across the pond in a week plus. Perhaps my first post on deadland? I've been reading each and every release comment that you crazies have drummed up for years now. Maybe I'll be back! Nice place to be. Dave, dead.net, all involved in this community, thanks a ton!
  • simonrob
    Finally gone. That will make the folks at Rhino happy. Took a long time for one reason or another. Too soon after the first one? Simultaneous downloads available? 9000 was too many?
  • chr1skol1
    Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees! On yesterday I have got my Spring Box (The Other One). Thanks a lot guys that you have bring to us this exciting and beautiful box!
  • fahrenheit451
    Default Avatar
    Been waiting for what seems like forever for this thing to sell out.
  • DaveandDeeds
    Just wanted to throw this out there, I too was frustrated with iTunes metadata, however I believe this is from lazy and inaccurate individuals who load their poorly labeled discs to Gracenote or whatever, and then the options are usually wrong for the rest of us. This all started for me when I decided to import the E72 box. Nightmare!! My advice is, pick the option that "looks" the most accurate, but DO NOT import it as such. Instead, choose NOT to import, fix the mistakes first, then import away. Sorry for a three moth old reply, but we are all in this together. (~}:-
user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months
jq171(document).ready(function (jq171) { var covertArtDownloadMarkup = 'Looking for the digital cover art? You can download it here.'; setTimeout(function() { jq171('#digital_cart').append(covertArtDownloadMarkup); }, 500); });

What's Inside:
•144-page paperback book with essays by Nicholas G. Meriwether and Blair Jackson
•A portfolio with three art prints by Jessica Dessner
• Replica ticket stubs and backstage passes for all eight shows
•8 complete shows on 23 discs
      •3/14/90 Capital Centre, Landover, MD
      •3/18/90 Civic Center, Hartford, CT
      •3/21/90 Copps Coliseum, Hamilton, Ontario
      •3/25/90 Knickerbocker Arena, Albany, NY
      •3/28/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY
      •3/29/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY (featuring Branford Marsalis)
      •4/1/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA
      •4/3/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA
Recorded by long-time Grateful Dead audio engineer John Cutler
Mixed from the master 24-track analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios
Mastered to HDCD specs by David Glasser
Original Art by Jessica Dessner
Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 9,000

Announcing Spring 1990 (The Other One)

"If every concert tells a tale, then every tour writes an epic. Spring 1990 felt that way: an epic with more than its share of genius and drama, brilliance and tension. And that is why the rest of the music of that tour deserves this release, why the rest of those stories need to be heard." - Nicholas G. Meriwether

Some consider Spring 1990 the last great Grateful Dead tour. That it may be. In spite of outside difficulties and downsides, nothing could deter the Grateful Dead from crafting lightness from darkness. They were overwhelmingly triumphant in doing what they came to do, what they did best — forging powerful explorations in music. Yes, it was the music that would propel their legacy further, young fans joining the ranks with veteran Dead Heads, Jerry wondering "where do they keep coming from?" — a sentiment that still rings true today, a sentiment that offers up another opportunity for an exceptional release from a tour that serves as transcendental chapter in the Grateful Dead masterpiece.

With Spring 1990 (The Other One), you'll have the chance to explore another eight complete shows from this chapter, the band elevating their game to deliver inspired performances of concert staples (“Tennessee Jed” and “Sugar Magnolia”), exceptional covers (Dylan’s “When I Paint My Masterpiece” and the band’s last performance of the Beatles’ “Revolution”) and rare gems (the first “Loose Lucy” in 16 years) as well as many songs from Built To Last, which had been released the previous fall and would become the Dead’s final studio album. Also among the eight is one of the most sought-after shows in the Dead canon: the March, 29, 1990 show at Nassau Coliseum, where Grammy®-winning saxophonist Branford Marsalis sat in with the group. The entire second set is one continuous highlight, especially the breathtaking version of “Dark Star.”

For those of you who are keeping track, this release also marks a significant milestone as now, across the two Spring 1990 boxed sets, Dozin At The Knick, and Terrapin Limited, the entire spring tour of 1990 has been officially released, making it only the second Grateful Dead tour, after Europe 1972, to have that honor.

Now shipping, you'll want to order your copy soon as these beautiful boxes are going, going, gone...

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

...and I've come to the realization that not a single show from this tour should be limited in edition. ALL are mandatory listening. If people are passing on this because they don't like the era, it's probably best for them to give up on music altogether and focus on other things in life like sports, cars or politics because they obviously don't have an ear and/or an open mind for greatness. Musical/artistic taste is subjective in nature. Some people get it, some don't. I would like to once again express my gratitude for those whose generosity is making this release possible for me to acquire. It's the single coolest thing anybody has ever done for me!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 8 months

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. sub·jec·tive səbˈjektiv/ adjective 1. based on or influenced by personal feelings, tastes, or opinions.
user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

From an exchange with Star Dark on June 22: Star Dark: Which was inadvertent, Bolo? "He's Gone" or "Might as Well?" Are you teasing us again? Me: It's either "Might As Well" or the other one. >> The Other One ============================================ From June 23 Pralines, coffee and tea Summertime done Come and gone my Oh my! - summertime done come and gone >> a fall show - I put "Oh My!" on it's own line to make it stand out. Probably the most famous use in history is from the "Wizard of Oz" - lions, tigers and bears - oh my! Which has the same cadence as "pralines, coffee and tea," which is what most of the discussion around here involved on that day. Yeah, weird, I know. ==================================== From June 24 Stir this into the mix: 28% of the songs have something in common. - you stir with a straw >> Jack Straw (from Wichita) - I addressed the whole 28%/future hall of fame player earlier: Craig Biggio, one of the Astros' Killer B's wore uniform #7. Should get in the Hall next year. 7 of the 25 songs start with the letter "B" (28%) ===================================== Different avatars: Jester represented the GD songbook on which it was featured, published in November of 1972. The jester I chose was from the GD playing cards, the joker, in response to those who surmised that I might just be messing with everyone. The "volume 11" avatar showed a smidgen of clouds above. Tornado clouds. =========================================== I think that's about it. Enjoy all the good music hitting our mailboxes in the next couple months!
user picture

Member for

11 years 11 months

"Musical/Artistic taste is subjective in nature". Basic meaning: We like what we like, which is most definitely true. But I think Spacebro you meant if we don't like every show included in the Spring 90 Too box set then we have no taste. That makes you a Music Snob cause you are saying I love this & if you don't, you need to stop listening to music altogether. People "get" what they are listening to when they hear late 80's or early 90's Dead, it's not exactly like listening to Ornette Coleman's Free Jazz. A lot of that I don't get & as much as I tried I did not like it. Look I am guilty as well. My family calls me a music snob, cause I dismissively put down certain songs or groups. Case in point years ago I called the Police song wrapped around your finger "horrible elevator music" & my Mom freaked out on me. I still hate that song but if others like it I have come to realize that they are entitled to. No point in me sucking the joy out of it for them.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

'If people are passing on this because they don't like the era....they obviously don't have an ear and/or an open mind for greatness' A lot of people who don't always agree with you have been really understanding about your passionate outbursts and many were pleased at your recent good fortune. And then you have to come out with this comtemptuous nonsense. Sometimes you seem so rational and switched on Mr SB, and then every now and then you seem to lose it. Are you OK?
user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

I think he was just trying to make a very passionate point about music he loves.I'm sure he meant no disrespect to anyone... He sure does ilicit a lot of response!
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

I think he elicits a lot of illicit responses, but it's possible that he is soliciting them too.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 2 months

Wrapped around your finger! I always thought this was a song from the perspective of a band-aid. Was kind of hoping for a follow-up song about triple antibiotic ointment- "I'll be...disinfecting your finger!"
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In addition to the definition you posted, I tend to use the word "subjective" as it pertains to... 2. of, relating to, or emanating from a person's emotions, prejudices If you were at an art museum looking at a painting and it evokes an emotional response that pleases you personally, but the guy next to you absolutely hates it, is one person more right than the other person? Is that emotional response "subjective"? There is an entire discussion that could be had in regards to subjectivity versus objectivity. I'll leave that debate to the philosophy majors here. All I know (besides, "is something like a bird within her sang"), is that some people here trash and diminish shows and eras in which I adore, regardless of the audio quality of the recordings themselves and the precision/inspiration of the performances contained. I'll set up a hypothetical situation here - lets say that somebody states that they hate the song "Terrapin Station" (I don't know of anybody who would in their right mind), does that make them right in their assertion, wrong, or is it just personal taste and opinion? To go a step further, if you have tapes from shows that from an audiophile perspective may be ranked no better than a B+, but the performances are stellar, does than diminish the level in which a person can or should be able to enjoy listening to them? I mention and ask this because to my ears, I would rank DaP6 and 10 in this category. Not the best sounding tapes or Picks, but great performances none-the-less. Speaking for myself, and as a person who finds value in every single era of the Dead, even with my preferences being the Brent era, would I be in the wrong for stating that a B+ quality tape of a very average-ish to below average show from a peak year is of more value than an A+ quality tape of a top 20 of all time show from an unrepresented less popular year? I would answer that as a yes, I would be in the wrong. It's all good and I feel it should all be represented, regardless. The reality is that not every show in the vault will be released. At least not in a physical form. Perhaps someday tptb will fulPhil the "Terrapin Limited" "Terrapin Station" promise from years ago where anybody can download any show from any era they desire. If they were to do that, I would first stock up on all of the '84 through '91 shows and can get a hold of then work my way backwards and forwards from there, within my budgetary means. Anyways, enough rambling from me for now. I had spent a significant amount of time giving a play by play preview of the new S'90(TOO) box shows I'm most familiar with in a post and accidently deleted it without posting it. To sum up that lost post, none of these shows from the S'90 boxes should be limited edition. Every single one of them are mandatory listening and the utmost highest standard setters. Every bit as important as the FW and E'72 boxes. Everything else is icing on the cake.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

I post a comment and it's totally taken the wrong way. reijo29 - I didn't state that anybody had to like every show from the S'90 box, or even one show. Comtemptuous nonsense? I respect your opinion cosmic badger but you totally missed my point and are now hurling an insult my direction. Bottom line, I don't understand the whole era specific animosity here. The Dead were great in the 60s, '70s, 80s and '90s. They are still great at doing their own thing even this far after the fact. There are those of us who like every era of the Dead. Some people have expressed that they only want to see certain eras released. Some people here treat those of us who like the later years like we're chumps. If the same people are going to continue to rewrite and reinterpret my commentary as a means to put me down for standing up for myself, or others in my similar situation, it says a lot more about you than anything else. Kjohnduff1 gets it! Right on! Sincerely, Dead.net's lightning rod and punching bag.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Seems you can even get people to write your apologies for you! Clearly I am outclassed here and will therefore leave you to it. I will check out Coconut Phil's page, where maybe even us deficient deadheads can find a home.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

"Genius" "Seems you can even get people to write your apologies for you! Clearly I am outclassed here and will therefore leave you to it...." Besides the obvious tone of sarcasm, what exactly do you mean by that and what exactly should I be apologizing for? Should I not speak up when somebody takes the liberty to rewrite my posts for me, cherry pick comments out of context and/or completely misinterpret what I said? I'll go back several posts to a specific comment - "I likes me some croaking, wheezing 80s Dead as much as the next 50-something. But IT IS second or third class shit, let's agree on that, ok?" ...and this was under the header that read "so many assholes, so little mind"... Do you share this person's point of view and/or sentiment? If you do, then that's fine, but why the personal attacks towards those of us who like the '80s? Should we not be expected to speak our mind at "contemptuous" insults directed towards us for liking and expressing our views about an era that you/they might not have a fond opinion of? It's really sad that the good will of generosity expressed by some truly awesome people here has once again been overshadowed by a wave of negativity. Oh well. I'm thankful and blessed to be in the presence here with such generous people and won't let the bad attitudes of a few diminish that for me. and yes Vguy72, I am pleased with this release as per your inquiry at the beginning of this thread!
user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

Hey bolo24: Thanks for providing answers to your clues related to Dave's Picks 11. It's amazing that Zuckfun was able to guess correctly...especially so quickly. He/she must have a method for quickly searching setlists and shows. Regardless of whether all or most of the songs were guessed correctly from the clues, also finding a show with exactly 25 songs is very impressive. I guess it will soon be time to begin guessing Dave's Picks 12? I'm counting down the days until I hear that lovely 11/17/72... Thanks again.
user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

Spacebrother, a lot of your posts seem to be just to instigate but I'll bite this time anyway. If you think that Spring 90 is on par with, or better than Europe 72 or Fall 73 or May 77 that's fine with me, even though I disagree; I enjoy the many different opinions from deadheads. If you think those who don't like Spring 90 should just give up on music altogether, fine, that's your opinion. You say that some people get it, some don't, you, presumably being one who does get it. Okay fine. If you feel you are "deader than thou," or "deader" than those who don't agree with your opinion that's okay with me too. What's irksome is that you've often lashed out at others for being "deader than thou," yet you often seem to take that very attitude. In fact, many of the things you complain about from others here are things that you do yourself. You ripped a newer poster here a few weeks ago because he said if someone thought the Miami 89 show was better than the ones from 73 he must have a tin ear. Then today you state that those who don't like 1990 don't have an ear for greatness. Today you mention that you don't understand the era specific animosity. You'll disagree, no doubt, but imo you seem to be the torchbearer for said animosity. You've compared 70s Dead to smelly shoes; 1976 GD "puts you to sleep." Maybe you didn't really mean those things, maybe you were just trying to win an argument. You certainly have knowledge of this music and could have a lot to add to various discussions if you could get past the need to convince everyone that you are right. And I suppose that's why so many of us respond to your posts. Your reviews of the Spring 90 shows probably would have been a good read...too bad that one got deleted instead of the deader than thou post. As for the lightning rod/whipping boy thing, you seem to eat that up; and why not? It got you a Spring 90 box (not that you were asking, of course). For the record, I enjoy my Terrapin Limited and Dozin at the Knick CDs and preordered the Branford show but definitely can't spend the $$ on the big box.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Is there a listening party for this release yet? After all, it's due in mere weeks...P.S. Re: Miami '89 I'm trying to 'get' this one. I have tried. It along with 11-24-78 (another highly thought of show) I can't handle due to Jerry's atrocious vocal condition. I will try again! (someday)
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

Spacebrother said, "If people are passing on this because they don't like the era, it's probably best for them to give up on music altogether and focus on other things in life like sports, cars or politics because they obviously don't have an ear and/or an open mind for greatness. Musical/artistic taste is subjective in nature. Some people get it, some don't." I don't like the era very much, so I'm not getting it [the box set]. Not sure why I should give up my love of music altogether though. That, I really don't get.
user picture

Member for

11 years 11 months

Dantian-don't give up. But if you have to start focusing on other things in life I suggest family should be included along with the cars, sports and politics.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 1 month

My man and I say that without really wanting to insult you or maybe I do, just let me know. You have the unique ability to argue with anyone, including yourself without the ability to recall what you said, what someone else said, but somehow you can clarify what they meant, you meant, what the band meant, what Reagan meant all wrapped in no one have any idea what we are commenting on. Kinda like this post. Could give 2 shits what you like or dislike, but to be honest with you we wouldn't get along that well. Get the fact that you get pissed that some don't prefer late dead, count me in as one of them. I could care less what you think but my tastes are my tastes. Get the fact that you want more late dead, hope it comes your way. But please don't insult me or anyone else that we don't get it. I do get it and my opinion is that it's lacking big time. That's my opinion and great for me, as I get to save a lot of cash and buy more of what I do like. Love the band, but not most of entire Brent era or beyond don't dislike the man, but the music they played with him in it makes me cringe. Your entire style is so far from of what the dead were about, it's amazing. Oh shit, I opened a can of worms there. Post your loves, your hates, whatever but please stop whining, Jerry would be pissed at you, not really, but that's the whole point of this post, no one cares what you like. Enjoy it and let go of what others don't.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 6 months

I too have been listening to tapes of shows from Spring tour 1990. I agree they are all great in their own way. My copies are almost all soundboard source. Although I now wish I had some more spring "90 DAT source audience tapes. I am looking forward to hearing some beautiful, full, warm, kick ass, 24 track source, Live Grateful Dead. Not a whole lot of that left in the vault.Only within one Era did they use a full on, state of the art, mobile studio. I'm so psyched that they took the time, effort, and expense to do it right then, and now.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years

But the similarities are too much. At Alpine 86, we ran across a guy we dubbed the "ghost of Lennon". Initially he was engaging and informed...Soon he became more argumentative. Okay, whatever... We went our separate ways. After the post show downpour in Akron, the entire parking lot cleared out (sadly our favorite burrito guy's groovy rig burned up as well). Anyway, curled up outside our van, soaking wet, was the ghost of Lennon. We brought him in for the night. The guy would not shut up and go to sleep. It was impossible to have a discussion with GOL as his opinion was obviously the best and any thing other than total agreement made him feel persecuted. This went on until the wee hours. In the morning, as we watched a guy delicately seek police help to get his keys out of his ganja laden trunk (he made it happen), GOL asked us for a ride to Buffalo...umm, sure... What's a few more hours of amazing enlightenment from our all knowing GOL. When we stopped in Eerie for provisions, without prior discussion among our group, we ditched our grocery cart and ran from the store, leaving GOL in the chips aisle. Like I said, we were not proud of this, but our sanity was at stake. On the field at Rich Stadium, just as the Farm Aid segment started, up walked our GOL, starting in without missing a beat with another round of incredible opinion, rendering our own thoughts pointless.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years

But the similarities are too much. At Alpine 86, we ran across a guy we dubbed the "ghost of Lennon". Initially he was engaging and informed...Soon he became more argumentative. Okay, whatever... We went our separate ways. After the post show downpour in Akron, the entire parking lot cleared out (sadly our favorite burrito guy's groovy rig burned up as well). Anyway, curled up outside our van, soaking wet, was the ghost of Lennon. We brought him in for the night. The guy would not shut up and go to sleep. It was impossible to have a discussion with GOL as his opinion was obviously the best and any thing other than total agreement made him feel persecuted. This went on until the wee hours. In the morning, as we watched a guy delicately seek police help to get his keys out of his ganja laden trunk (he made it happen), GOL asked us for a ride to Buffalo...umm, sure... What's a few more hours of amazing enlightenment from our all knowing GOL. When we stopped in Eerie for provisions, without prior discussion among our group, we ditched our grocery cart and ran from the store, leaving GOL in the chips aisle. Like I said, we were not proud of this, but our sanity was at stake. On the field at Rich Stadium, just as the Farm Aid segment started, up walked our GOL, starting in without missing a beat with another round of incredible opinion, rendering our own thoughts pointless.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 6 months

I care what you like. By the way. Just what was the band all about ? Listening to Frank Zappa right now. I'm pretty sure Frank didn't listen to Grateful Dead. I care what he liked too.
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

I was at the super market earlier today, scouring the chips aisle. Great mental picture. Told my girlfriend the story, she even got a kick out of it.
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

A big THANK YOU goes out to Angry Jack Straw-Strider88-Zuckfun-FloridaBobaloo!!! ...more to come... :)

Member for

10 years

The way I got HERE was by listening to music I may have not been wild about after one hearing! I described my path to the Dead when I first showed up. It took some time. Over the years I have been lucky to have people turn me on to a wide variety of both music and art. I feel very blessed for each experience. I may not turn on Miles Davis Bitches Brew or Ornette Coleman everyday, but man when I do I take a big hearty helping and smile widely. I feel fortunate to enjoy so many different artists. Has anyone here ever heard of Terje Rypdal? Just one example of something I picked up along the way and got a whole lot out of for the trouble.So my two cents would be never be afraid to try something new in art. Somebody ask you to go to an Avante garde show, do it! The opera? Can't kill ya! A poetry reading ? Art exhibit of something you've never seen? I say give it a shot. It's so cool to find more stuff you love. Life is a pretty damn big buffet ya'll. Get you a scoop of all you can get on your plate. And ENJOY !

Member for

10 years

It's a pleasure brother! I thank you for giving me the chance to walk the walk....
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

So this is a request forum for new releases and if we don't agree... we debate. I do like the differences in sound of those eras (72-76, and 80s->Early-90s). In retrospect, the band as seen through the eyes of history and the changes they made throughout it is one of the 'funner' things about the liking the band. Someone here wrote Dave is the Professor here at Rhino/Dead and he guides us to whats right for us, I like that idea. He's been at this for some time and I do to have faith in Dave in regards to choosing what is best at that particular time for the 'heads'. If you have you heart set out for a certain era your heart might be crushed from the wait. I like all eras, as well as can't stand to listen to all eras at certain times, other times I might, maybe want to listen to 1968 Dead, or 1973 Dead, or 1977 Dead, or '80 Dead, or '87 Dead, or '89 Dead, or '93 Dead. But really thats it. Yeah, '66 primordial soup Dead, sure, like a history lesson, and its great course I don't HAVE to take all the time, I can SWITCH directions, take turns throughout the DEAD history, and end up wherever it takes me, like all music, I listen to what feels good, or bad for that matter. ROCK ON! *if you want to know, I bought the release because I enjoyed the 1st box so much, I know a rarity here on Dead.net, and just to add my 2 pence, I could really USE a DYLAN & the DEAD Box set, really. And for seconds I'll take some more Vince Welnick-era Dead, with or without Mr. Bruce Hornsby is fine, I just want more Wave to the Wind, no joke. If you want to know, my 1st (and ONLY) show was a Vince show so I certainly am biased on that one, but just don't condemn me for it, thanks.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 4 months

This is as bad as it gets. The From the vault series wasn't so bad, then they added Dick's Picks, Road Trips, Annual Box sets, Dave's Picks... When I am driving in my car I am forced to choose from shows that range from 1968 – 1992. How do they respond to this imposition? They release 9 more shows from separate peaks. How am I supposed to choose? How??? The horror, the horror.
user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

Dave's an errand boy...sent by a grocery clerk...to collect the bill...
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

I'm sitting down giving GarciaLive Vol. 4 it's first listen.I'm reminded of when I first felt the fire and didn't know what I didn't know.The Jerry Garcia Band.I thought it was a pet name or lot slang for The Grateful Dead. Boy did I have a lot to learn......and love. :)
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years

Thanks Bolo for posting the logic behind your clues. I missed most of them, but did hit on a few! It was a fun distraction while we were waiting for the release. I hope you have another installment of clues for us when DaP 12 is rolling around! Pelke
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

rdevil - I respect your opinion and appreciate your input as well, but please bear with me my I say that there are a number of people who feel the need to create a negative atmosphere here. Heck, the first hint of negativity on this thread began within the first 20 posts (directed at me of course). It really escalated with the DaP11 announcement though. Incidentally, I didn't comment about the next installment being a '72 show. I'm not entirely surprised by the choice, but that's neither here nor there. Regarding my recent post though, which seems to have ignited a mini a firestorm here, perhaps I should have clarified more explicitly for whom my commentary was in response to, though I believe I did made it clear in one my follow-up posts. I want to say that I'm not trying to convince anybody of anything or saying my opinions are any more valid than the next guys. dantian - you should get into whatever you want to get into whenever you want to get into it and in any way you want to get into it. Just make sure it's fun for you and doesn't hurt others. When somebody implies that I'm of a lesser intellect for liking the croaking and wheezing of so-called second and third rate music from an era they don't particularly like, well, it is what it is. Am I justified to respond to that? SanFranWanabee - I'm sorry you feel that we "wouldn't get along". You don't even know anything about me. You don't even have to give any "shits" about me, and I'm not asking you to. Perhaps I shouldn't "give two shits" when somebody implies that I'm ignorant for liking the era they hate. I can't, and won't assume how Jerry would or might have felt about anything. Only Jerry would have known how Jerry might have felt. I imagine that he likely wouldn't have given "two shits" one way or the other. Whatever the case, my post wasn't directed towards you and sorry to paraphrase your "not giving shits" commentary throughout my response. I can't imagine that you care one way or the other, that is if I interpret your post correctly. TN Dead - You asked me... "By the way. Just what was the band all about ?"...my best answer... It was/is about whatever you want it to be about, though somebody here might imply that that you are ignorant for being a fan on the croaky, wheezing 2nd and 3rd rate '80s stuff though. All of that nonsense aside, there are some truly awesome people here. There are some who I haven't always seen eye to eye with, but they have shown me an unexpected gesture of goodwill, and that really blows my mind in the best possible way. I hope to reciprocate that same positive energy. I guess I'll just have to grin and bear the title of being the "ignorant fan of the 2nd and 3rd rate wheezing '80s Dead" and wear it like a badge of honor.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 6 months

Ordered Terrapin Limited on July 12. Order went through without a hitch. Checked order status on July 14 and noticed it was listed as back ordered. Received a delivery confirmation on July 15, and received TL on July 18. Hope this helps. Have a grateful day out there.
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

Spacebrother said, "dantian - you should get into whatever you want to get into whenever you want to get into it and in any way you want to get into it. Just make sure it's fun for you and doesn't hurt others."------- Ok, well, I'll try not to "hurt others" with my musical preferences. That is what we were talking about, remember? I'm beginning to suspect these misleading statements of yours are completely intentional.
user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

Someday everything's gonna be different when I paint my masterpiece. Thanks for everything.
user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

Man, there are some not kind people here for some reason, who cares who likes what, just enjoy the music. What I seem to read here is that a lot of people love the seventies output from the band, ok, cool. Lets not attack people for having a different opinion than you. I'm not gonna list all the offenders, but reading what most of you say, a turd from the 70's is better than anything from any other era. Too bad. Keep gobbling up those turds and they will keep dropping them on your doorstep. With this kind of response, we will never get any of the great shows from the eighties or nineties. Wait, did I hear someone say "what great shows?". I thought so, so lets have a debate about that, without name calling and hate. All though I think that might not be possible for some of you.
user picture

Member for

13 years 10 months

If people are passing on this because they don't like the era, it's probably best for them to give up on music altogether and focus on other things in life like sports, cars or politics because they obviously don't have an ear and/or an open mind for greatness. Musical/artistic taste is subjective in nature. Some people get it, some don't. I find it laughable that you don't see this as the very epitome of a "Deader Than Thou" mentality. I personally am happy when different folks have different opinions on whether they like the Dead, and what eras they tend to enjoy the most. But the (paraphrasing here) "This is great and if you can't see/hear it, you really should find another passion as you OBVIOUSLY don't get it" idea is a tad condescending. It seems like the exact mentality that you say you are being persecuted for is the EXACT SAME MENTALITY that you are espousing. I don't tend to fully appreciate the "I can make my guitar sound like a clarinet" sound, so don't usually choose to spin MIDI era shows, but that is just my opinion of what pleases me. Once in a while I put that era on, and I never cry about it when TPTB choose to market that era in a box set or DaP. You see, it's just not what suits my ear the best. I truly thought the most humorous post ever (I really thought you were kidding) was, after agitating for an '80s/'90s release for seemingly forever, the first thing you say about the new box is that it will be great, but you don't have the cash to buy it. Glad that's working out for ya.
user picture

Member for

10 years 6 months

I tried listening to some 90s dead Terrapin lmtd, and Dozin ...I couldn't get past Brent's carnival antics and Jerry's gruff voice. I really tried, but couldn't handle it...I put on May 77 to save my sanity...
user picture

Member for

11 years 9 months

So im actually gonna talk about the box set for a second if thats allowed here. Theres a version of 3/29 in the archive that you all gotta hear. its one of the downloadable versions so i imagine its an audience recording. You can really here how electric this show really is because the crowd is so loud. There singing along with every song and when they bust into dark star the place goes absolutley nuts. I really hope that when Jeff mixed this show he puts that crowd noise in. I think it gives the show more of a kick in the ass. Check it out its really cool and you can tell Jerry and Bob really brought there A game to this show.
user picture

Member for

15 years 4 months

Sorry to load up on you, Spacebro, but I didn't see any post directed at you that called for your antagonistic post-- and that is what it was. Don't deny it either, people have pulled out the quotes and paraphrased its meaning quite well. Really, to claim to be the victim after that is laughable. I saw the one post about "wheezy 80s era," but who the hell cares. That was just one dude's opinion, why did you let that get your undies in a bunch? I didn't see it as directed at anyone, just his opinion about the music. I am with many others here-- I like Brent era just fine and would like some releases from 1980-89, but 1990 has too much MIDI for my taste. If I wanted to hear a trumpet solo during Mexicali Blues, I would see a Mariachi band. So, I made a decision to save $250 on a box set that would likely get minimal listens. Between Dozin', Terrapin Limited, and 3/29/90, I will have enough of that tour.
user picture

Member for

11 years 11 months

Good Morning Uncle-Who the heck is attacking Spacebro for having an opinion? People are simply defending their right to continue listening to music altogether even if they don't think that every show in the new box set or entire Spring 90 tour is some of the greatest art ever created. If your stars align with Spacebro, that's fantastic. But people will defend themselves and call out an insulting remark (or opinion if you see it as that) all day long. On the other side a lot of people don't like the processed midi sounds which have kind of aged poorly. It was just a moment in time like having a mullet back then. This from the recent Branford interview: Jerry found a way to adapt to whatever the situation was and add a color. When he switched to the [MIDI] guitar synth, I never felt he needed it. Intrusion is too strong a word. It obstructed his sound. But I guess when you've been doing the same shit for 30 years, you need to get something to spike it up a little. I don't see Branford or other people suggesting you have to give up on all music if a particular effect sounds like an obstruction. Perhaps we should stop watching all other Football games if we don't see the greatness, and are not fans of the Green Bay Packers. Silly
user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

I am really looking forward to this release. 68-69era is what I listen to the most, with 73 also being played a lot. But I am also one of the few that holds Spring 90 up there as just as great. Sure there isn't the crazy May 77 Scarlet Fire, but May 77 didn't have the crazy Here Comes Sunshines or Birdsongs that 73 had, and in turn 73 had no DS-Attics-DS-SugMagjam-DS-StStephen-China-Rider that 1970 has. Reminds me of how 70 doesn't have any New Potatos or Clementines. 90 has many of my favorite tunes such as Black Muddy River, Built to Last, Blow Away, Standing on the Moon, Believe it or Not, Foolish Heart. Spring 90 has a Truckin-Drum-Space-Other One-Hey Jude-Mr Fantasy-Hey Jude-SugMag, Baby Blue finisher. crazy stuff I love having all of these different eras of the Dead represented. Here are some listening suggestions: 10-29-77, 8-03-69, 1-26-69, 2-2-68, 12-06 or 12-12 1973
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

We each have our likes and dislikes. With the Dead, I really do not have any "dislikes". There are some things I don't care for as much as some other things I do care for, but I think it is just a different degree of "like". I am not a big fan of Jerry's midi, but sometimes it fits really nicely in a particular spot. But it is what he chose to do on a given song and I will live with his decision and his right to try it out. After all, we all know this band was about experimentation, so where would they / we be if they did not try some different stuff?I would hope that I never attack or disparage anyone's opinion on this site. I read everything posted here and am sometimes amazed by what I read. Some folks skip some of my favorite songs when they are listening and other folks love a song that I do not particularly care for. It just goes to show the wide variety of the Dead experience. I never skip any song when listening. When something comes on that is not a fave of mine, I usually try to listen to it more carefully to see what it is that turns other on. Sometimes my attitude does change as time goes on. I think we all can state our feelings here without being nasty about it. I hope that everyone here is sincere in their posts and that the trolls stay away. Maybe I am too trusting but I would think that if you are not a true fan of the Dead you will just stay away and spend your valuable time on other endeavors. Spring '90 TOO and DaP11 are spread apart by 18 years, but I am looking forward to them both very much. I think DL is always looking for shows that sound great. I think that is his main focus. I don't think Rhino has to worry too much about profit. EVERYTHING they release sells out, most of it very quickly. Buy what you want, don't buy what you don't, and if you get a DaP you do not want, I guarantee someone will take it off of your hands immediately, and maybe for a profit if that is what you want. Rock on
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

but I think the Spring of 90 box is the best thing the Grateful Dead have released with the exception of Sunshine Daydream. I am really looking forward to this new box set. I've heard people say that didn't think the box sounded good...but I think the sound is incredibly good. I just recently pieced together 3/24/90 (not sure why I waited so long but the announcement of this new box definitely sparked my motivation) and I've listened to the whole show 4 times in about a weeks time. Now, I will say, I'm not a huge fan of all the MIDI stuff either. I think its okay in small doses or during Space but sometimes it seems jump out and mess up the flow. For example, the Candyman from the first night of the Formerly the Warlocks shows is moving along just beautifully and then errrgggg, the MIDI just destroys the beautiful Jerry solo that would have been. On the other hand, when Jerry goes into the flute sound (or whatever) during the Birdsongs or something like that, I think its great.

Member for

10 years

Back in the day when these things came out, they were seen as a cool new toy. I think it's always been the fact, if you can't play, you can't hide behind effects. But guys like Lee Ritenour took the thing in a new direction. Roland had a better unit in the 90's as well. Beside the sounds there was a delay issue initially with these things. But the idea was clear. Make your guitar sound like a sax, or a trumpet, or Godzilla farting!At the time, I couldn't afford one, and didn't have chops or gigs to justify trying to get one. For me, they have aged poorly. A little sprinkle goes a long way. One artist that did use the Roland unit very well was Joni Mitchell, but she used it to have one guitar that could instantly be retuned. She has like 50 turnings she uses! She played one on a Parker Fly and could spin a knob and the guitar changed tunings and sounds. Joni however didn't try and make her axe sound like a Prophet 5 synth. Which was the coolest synth back then I always thought. Ah youth and the 80's!
product sku