• 1,689 replies
    admin
    jq171(document).ready(function (jq171) { var covertArtDownloadMarkup = 'Looking for the digital cover art? You can download it here.'; setTimeout(function() { jq171('#digital_cart').append(covertArtDownloadMarkup); }, 500); });

What's Inside:
    •144-page paperback book with essays by Nicholas G. Meriwether and Blair Jackson
    •A portfolio with three art prints by Jessica Dessner
    • Replica ticket stubs and backstage passes for all eight shows
    •8 complete shows on 23 discs
          •3/14/90 Capital Centre, Landover, MD
          •3/18/90 Civic Center, Hartford, CT
          •3/21/90 Copps Coliseum, Hamilton, Ontario
          •3/25/90 Knickerbocker Arena, Albany, NY
          •3/28/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY
          •3/29/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY (featuring Branford Marsalis)
          •4/1/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA
          •4/3/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA
    Recorded by long-time Grateful Dead audio engineer John Cutler
    Mixed from the master 24-track analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios
    Mastered to HDCD specs by David Glasser
    Original Art by Jessica Dessner
    Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 9,000

Announcing Spring 1990 (The Other One)

"If every concert tells a tale, then every tour writes an epic. Spring 1990 felt that way: an epic with more than its share of genius and drama, brilliance and tension. And that is why the rest of the music of that tour deserves this release, why the rest of those stories need to be heard." - Nicholas G. Meriwether

Some consider Spring 1990 the last great Grateful Dead tour. That it may be. In spite of outside difficulties and downsides, nothing could deter the Grateful Dead from crafting lightness from darkness. They were overwhelmingly triumphant in doing what they came to do, what they did best — forging powerful explorations in music. Yes, it was the music that would propel their legacy further, young fans joining the ranks with veteran Dead Heads, Jerry wondering "where do they keep coming from?" — a sentiment that still rings true today, a sentiment that offers up another opportunity for an exceptional release from a tour that serves as transcendental chapter in the Grateful Dead masterpiece.

With Spring 1990 (The Other One), you'll have the chance to explore another eight complete shows from this chapter, the band elevating their game to deliver inspired performances of concert staples (“Tennessee Jed” and “Sugar Magnolia”), exceptional covers (Dylan’s “When I Paint My Masterpiece” and the band’s last performance of the Beatles’ “Revolution”) and rare gems (the first “Loose Lucy” in 16 years) as well as many songs from Built To Last, which had been released the previous fall and would become the Dead’s final studio album. Also among the eight is one of the most sought-after shows in the Dead canon: the March, 29, 1990 show at Nassau Coliseum, where Grammy®-winning saxophonist Branford Marsalis sat in with the group. The entire second set is one continuous highlight, especially the breathtaking version of “Dark Star.”

For those of you who are keeping track, this release also marks a significant milestone as now, across the two Spring 1990 boxed sets, Dozin At The Knick, and Terrapin Limited, the entire spring tour of 1990 has been officially released, making it only the second Grateful Dead tour, after Europe 1972, to have that honor.

Now shipping, you'll want to order your copy soon as these beautiful boxes are going, going, gone...

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • protondecay123
    Default Avatar
    To Fully reconstruct the show from 3/24/1990 at the Knick, you would need to buy " Without A Net " for the One More Saturday Night that closed the 1st Set, Postcards of the Hanging to get the Desolation Row that followed Loser in the 1st set, Dozin' at the Knick for Walking Blues in the 1st set and all of the 2nd set, and Spring 1990 (The Other One) to get the other songs from the 1st set. That show got hacked to pieces.
  • eyes43
    Does anyone have any definitive information on what exactly this is? Heres a link to the ebay item, it has sold, so if you click on this link and you are on a computer or phone, you will need to click on the item to see the original listing. Then you can see the photos, and the numbered coin, which instead of havings its own number, it says, "miracle"? Im thinking this might be what they decided to do with promo copies, instead of leaving it blank, or stamping it "promo" like the FW69 boxset. The Dave's Picks series, all have blank promo copies. (Would be very interesting to know how many promos they make for each of these limited edition items!!) Ok, heres the link:http://m.ebay.com/itm/Grateful-Dead-Spring-1990-The-Other-One-Box-Set-M… If you have the ebay app, you can also just enter this number in the search box, and it will bring you to the same item. Again, it has already sold, so you will need to click on it, to open the original listing. That item number is: 162549487635 Id really like to know what the miracle means on the numbered coins...it makes sense that it would be a promo, that they sent out to reviewers and whomever else is lucky enough to get all this stuff, we all do everything we can to afford, for free! And instead of stamping promo, or leaving blank, they stamped miracle, as in here is your miracle (free) 1990 spring TOO boxset!!! Must be nice!!! Still, though, would like to know for sure! Thanks.
  • company
    Default Avatar
    I'd check for you but I didn't order this box. Hopefully someone who did will be kind enough to take 5 mins to get you some confirmation so you don't think you're going nuts! beet juice
  • antonjo
    purplekush, I know this is a year after your post, but just for the record, gotta call b/s on your song-length observations: "7 minute Halfstep" ~ yeah, that's short, but so is 12/19/73 (7:29) "8 minute playin's" ~ 8:56 (7/1/78), meanwhile 10:27 (3/14/90), 11:40 (4/3/90) "17 minutes for a Help On The Way>Slipknot>Franklins Tower TOTAL" ~ 14:50 (8/13/75) "8 or 9 minute China-Cat>Rider has no time to even find a groove" ~ 13:17 (3/15/90), 11:09 (3/26/90), 10:24 (4/01/90), 11:05 (9/19/90) No 8 or 9-minute versions I could find on any of my '90 releases. "a 19 minute Scarlet-fire it's over before it starts" ~ really? I guess these are, too? : 19:33 (10/16/77), 18:01 (11/2/77), 18:16 (5/11/78), 19:55 (7/3/78), 18:28 (7/7/78) 3/16/90's Scarlet > Estimated is 22:25. Incidentally, 11/4/77's Other One = 4:25, and 7/5/78's Truckin' = 7:29. They're both pretty hot, though. Morals of the story ~ some older years boast just as short or shorter lengths as '90; not all '90 lengths are as short as you claimed; and most importantly, song lengths alone do not tell the tale on performance heat. I do share your wish for one of the Fall '73 shows with horns!
  • simonrob
    The problem with posting when a release finally sells out is that it inevitably becomes available again a day or two later. Won't make that mistake again. Stranger than fiction.
  • Fogle
    Pulled the trigger just in time this afternoon... Mickey's damn Beam told me, turns out it was the right call. Feels all the more special that it came so close. I'll be returning home to this precious package after nearly 4 months across the pond in a week plus. Perhaps my first post on deadland? I've been reading each and every release comment that you crazies have drummed up for years now. Maybe I'll be back! Nice place to be. Dave, dead.net, all involved in this community, thanks a ton!
  • simonrob
    Finally gone. That will make the folks at Rhino happy. Took a long time for one reason or another. Too soon after the first one? Simultaneous downloads available? 9000 was too many?
  • chr1skol1
    Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees! On yesterday I have got my Spring Box (The Other One). Thanks a lot guys that you have bring to us this exciting and beautiful box!
  • fahrenheit451
    Default Avatar
    Been waiting for what seems like forever for this thing to sell out.
  • DaveandDeeds
    Just wanted to throw this out there, I too was frustrated with iTunes metadata, however I believe this is from lazy and inaccurate individuals who load their poorly labeled discs to Gracenote or whatever, and then the options are usually wrong for the rest of us. This all started for me when I decided to import the E72 box. Nightmare!! My advice is, pick the option that "looks" the most accurate, but DO NOT import it as such. Instead, choose NOT to import, fix the mistakes first, then import away. Sorry for a three moth old reply, but we are all in this together. (~}:-
user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months
jq171(document).ready(function (jq171) { var covertArtDownloadMarkup = 'Looking for the digital cover art? You can download it here.'; setTimeout(function() { jq171('#digital_cart').append(covertArtDownloadMarkup); }, 500); });

What's Inside:
•144-page paperback book with essays by Nicholas G. Meriwether and Blair Jackson
•A portfolio with three art prints by Jessica Dessner
• Replica ticket stubs and backstage passes for all eight shows
•8 complete shows on 23 discs
      •3/14/90 Capital Centre, Landover, MD
      •3/18/90 Civic Center, Hartford, CT
      •3/21/90 Copps Coliseum, Hamilton, Ontario
      •3/25/90 Knickerbocker Arena, Albany, NY
      •3/28/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY
      •3/29/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY (featuring Branford Marsalis)
      •4/1/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA
      •4/3/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA
Recorded by long-time Grateful Dead audio engineer John Cutler
Mixed from the master 24-track analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios
Mastered to HDCD specs by David Glasser
Original Art by Jessica Dessner
Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 9,000

Announcing Spring 1990 (The Other One)

"If every concert tells a tale, then every tour writes an epic. Spring 1990 felt that way: an epic with more than its share of genius and drama, brilliance and tension. And that is why the rest of the music of that tour deserves this release, why the rest of those stories need to be heard." - Nicholas G. Meriwether

Some consider Spring 1990 the last great Grateful Dead tour. That it may be. In spite of outside difficulties and downsides, nothing could deter the Grateful Dead from crafting lightness from darkness. They were overwhelmingly triumphant in doing what they came to do, what they did best — forging powerful explorations in music. Yes, it was the music that would propel their legacy further, young fans joining the ranks with veteran Dead Heads, Jerry wondering "where do they keep coming from?" — a sentiment that still rings true today, a sentiment that offers up another opportunity for an exceptional release from a tour that serves as transcendental chapter in the Grateful Dead masterpiece.

With Spring 1990 (The Other One), you'll have the chance to explore another eight complete shows from this chapter, the band elevating their game to deliver inspired performances of concert staples (“Tennessee Jed” and “Sugar Magnolia”), exceptional covers (Dylan’s “When I Paint My Masterpiece” and the band’s last performance of the Beatles’ “Revolution”) and rare gems (the first “Loose Lucy” in 16 years) as well as many songs from Built To Last, which had been released the previous fall and would become the Dead’s final studio album. Also among the eight is one of the most sought-after shows in the Dead canon: the March, 29, 1990 show at Nassau Coliseum, where Grammy®-winning saxophonist Branford Marsalis sat in with the group. The entire second set is one continuous highlight, especially the breathtaking version of “Dark Star.”

For those of you who are keeping track, this release also marks a significant milestone as now, across the two Spring 1990 boxed sets, Dozin At The Knick, and Terrapin Limited, the entire spring tour of 1990 has been officially released, making it only the second Grateful Dead tour, after Europe 1972, to have that honor.

Now shipping, you'll want to order your copy soon as these beautiful boxes are going, going, gone...

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

I am not sure if my comment posted, but @Vguy72, I am considering the Vegas Phish run. I'm going to do the LA show for sure and probably the San Diego show. If I do Vegas I am going to go 10/31 and 11/1 and will probably skip 11/2 but I have a long time to decide and figure that all out. cheers!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 11 months

OK already dead net you guys can put some samples for us to hear now
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 2 months

Just a quick note to the folks at Rhino who run this site - don't forget to provide cover art for each of the shows within the box. Feel free to post them here for people to download. Please. Thanks.
user picture

Member for

10 years 4 months

Come on over to the Dave's Picks Volume 11 - if you are done in this thread... the water is warm

Member for

16 years 11 months

....I'm in. Too many memories of this tour, and this version of the band, not to have these shows if they're available. And it'll be fun having half the tour in the two-track live feed mixes and the other half in glorious Norman. My brother Nick (who attended Copps, as well as Landover) will be thrilled about my decision, too : ) The Midi reservations are valid. It's truly one of the reasons I'd like more mid-80's out there, to represent the sextet with Brent in a more seasoned version than '79-'80, but sans Midi and also sans Bralove on Drums. Just the guys and their instruments sounding like their instruments. That said, they obviously ARE having lots of fun with the technology here in '90. So many different songs here than on the first box (Loose Lucy the most glaring omission on the latter)...and no way it's musically inferior. Just a matter of which nights are your personal favorites. This one has more shows, in any event! Sigh....guess I'm riding out my proposed final year as a gold-circle dead.net buyer with a bang. Doubt I'll regret obtaining this.
user picture

Member for

16 years 3 months

Speaking of 1990-is the 1990 fall European tour release-worthy? Any thoughts?
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Not sure on the quality of the tapes on that, but I do not think we will see another release from '90 for quite awhile. Grab The Other One while you can. The 24-track remastering of these great shows will not disappoint, so order now while you can. Otherwise you will be sorry you didn't down the road. Much like the crying that is going on over at the DaP sight. Geez folks! Get the subscription and stop your whining. I guarantee you can unload any of those that you do not want, without any problems. Why you would want to sell any great, new release is beyond my comprehension, but whatever. Any new Dead that Dave releases will sound great and I want them all for my collection and listening pleasure, and a pleasure it will be!Rock on.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 11 months

Much more hit-or-miss than Spring, Summer or Fall IMO. The "ons" are quite on, and although there are few "offs" (Stockhom being the most notable), there are also a number of nights that are just "there" and not really release-worthy. If there is going to be another release from 1990 (non video that is, I could see another summer show being released), it needs to be Madison Square Garden 1990: The Complete Recordings. End of story. The Road Trips on this was great, as was the Dick's Picks (I forget the numbers) but there was a lot of incredible playing left on the table from those releases, not the least of which is 9-19-90 set one, which concludes with what I consider to the be the quintessential Help>Slip>Franklin's post-breakout. 9-14-90 is so far off most people's goddamned radar it seems like Putin and Russia should be involved. That Scarlet>Fire, sans Bruce, is incendiary and warrants a release in and of itself, though the rest of the show cooks. The only meh show is 9-15, but I would take it if it meant getting the rest of the run out there. Now I realize this won't happen due to the duplication of a lot of what has already been released. But for god's sakes AT LEAST release a combo of 9-14 and the first sets from 9-19 and 9-20. Outside of the MSG stuff, and possibly a summer show for video purposes, the only other thing from 90 I could see (and hope for) being released is Eugene. More insanity from a really thorough year.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 3 months

That Europe 90 tour was a bit hit or miss, with both Vince and Bruce finding their places. Certainly not worth doing a box of the whole tour, but there are some amazing shows and moments. My favorite shows from that tour come from two venues - Berlin and London. Hornsby was the excited puppy, wanting to jam on Dark Star every night, and when they did play it, Bruce pushed Jerry to new heights. In addition to the Dark Stars, I often go to 11/30 first set combo of Let It Grow/Jam/Valley Road, as well as 11/1 jam out of drums into Dark Star. It really seemed to me that these are perfect snapshots of the joy Jerry displayed in playing with friends like Grisman, Branford, etc... This was some of the most beautiful music I have heard the Dead play. So, I'd suggest a London box of the 3 shows from that run and perhaps a Berlin show or both, released as a DaP. As long as we're on the topic of release worthy shows from the second half of 90... I hereby nominate the three Denver shows as a little box set. They're a perfect time capsule of the Dead's various moods and the book end Dark Stars make it feel like one long show. I know we just got a Branford show, but I find the NYE show pretty magnificent, too. Given the embarrassment of riches that is the entire Spring 90 tour, I don't think anyone is breaking down the doors for another 90 release right away, but when it's time to come back to this excellent year, there is plenty of good source material!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 11 months

JINX! London box would be great, HOW-EVAH, given the state Garcia's voice was in for the final two shows, I think my head would explode if they released that but still no 1983-84.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 3 months

[jinx]Am I even allowed to speak, now that you jinxed me?! If we both say "hit or miss" on Europe 90, we must be onto something... Maybe a "hit or miss" box set from that tour? ;) Point well taken in Jerry's voice on those London shows. I always found the transcendent playing enough to give Jer a pass, but hey, maybe throw his voice through an auto-tuner, screech-extractor, frog-flattener or whatever such device exists today [jk]. Yeah, I like the MSG shows, but it seems that through RT2.1 and DP9, TPTB have culled the essential bits from a nice run. I concur on the Oregon shows! Excellent throughout! Plenty of good shows from Summer 90, but no complete barn burner shows that I'd consider essential listening. I'd buy another video release or two from that tour, though! Does anyone recall if NYE from 90/91 is on video? I think that would be a great choice for release!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 11 months

This is where the whole original Road Trips missive would work well: you could put together a disc or three of 1990 snippets that are not represented here but warrant release. I would construct as follows, going beyond one tour, though perhaps not in this order: 1. Scarlet>Fire 9-14-90 2. Roses, Memphis, Help>Slip>Franklin's 9-19-90 3. UJB>China>Rider 6-8-90 4. Dark Star>Terrapin 12-12-90 5. Wheel>Miracle>Dew 6-23-90 6. Other One>Dew 7-18-90 7. Terrapin>Mags 12-30-90
user picture

Member for

16 years 2 months

I have an Italian bootleg of the above show, complete with it must have Ben the roses! It's superb. First set opening with hotwskft, then later had bird song, second set starts with scarlet fire. The Stella blue concludes with a great solo, though by this time jerry's voice had gone. I remember seeing a review of the gig in the independent newspaper and thought sounds interesting. Bought without a net with Xmas money and 120 odd albums later here I am. Still gutted that that London run was the last time they played in the uk, indeed Europe so I never saw my favourite band! However next week it's Phil lesh and friends in London which is really exciting. It's nice aged 45 to get that feeling again. I saw Robert plant at Glastonbury and that too was like being 16 again... The Paris shows are suppose to be great too. As for the Stockholm show, jerry had apparently eaten a Load of hash before they went on. Doh! I'd love more late period stuff to be released. Hornsby's piano really added another dimension. Great. Droned on for ages and I haven't even had a beer!
user picture

Member for

12 years

thank you...it's post like that that will hopefully bring out BROTHER from SPACE back, at least to this thread where IT FEEL like we are all like minded as to later era gd... WHICH ROCKS!!! because ALL GRATEFUL-GODDAMN-DEAD is good... even when it's not sooooo good, those of you should go listen to your Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, Aerosmith records... AND STOPPED DISSING THOSE OF US THAT LOVE IT ALL!! (man, drinking 2000 Champagne Krug @ the pop up event got me all about it...) can't wait to make a cd of EXACTLY your recommendation... good on ya... AND, whoever asked for more Hornsby (Yeti UK? maybe) absolutely, holmes... such a rich sound... ...bolo24, what's up, we goin or what??!!
user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

> I hereby nominate the three Denver shows as a little box set. Seconded!
user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

What's wrong with Fleetwood Mac? I'm not the biggest blues guy but Live from the Boston Tea Party is great with some great jamming in Rattlesnake Shake; Black Magic Woman and Jumping at Shadows are great too. I'd recommend it to anyone.
user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Is there a trick to uploading a photo? I've got this proud walking jingle here but he's completely upside down. Maybe he's listening to a great "Other One" jam.
user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

missed DaP11; c'est la vie. Oxford88, your story about GOL made me laugh. ditched him in the chips aisle because "your sanity was at stake"...I have met Deadheads like that that are uber-bores. "yeah, that time when Zappa joined them on Foolish Heart in 1976 was the HOTTEST Mexicali ever...Jerry was playing really fast notes, man, and pulled a hippie chick up on stage, and Zappa stripped off his shirt" (YAWN...how many errors in that comment can you find before falling asleep?) and then GOL walks up later..."Jerry gave me a ride on his motorcycle from San Francisco to Portland..." also: I can't believe we STILL have the Spacebrother/others arguing about 80s/90's GD. discuss freely, but man...can we move on? WWJS? (what would Jerry sing?): I wanna say to my "sister" (marye) and my (space) "brothers"...keep the faith...
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

don't laugh, but try flipping it 180 degrees on your device and uploading it again. We don't have serious image editing tools on the site. Let me know if you still have issues and we'll figure something else out.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years

Sorry you missed the DaP fiesta; it lasted about 17 hours. Related to the GOL, my wife and I were just talking about a guy we met at Cal Expo in one of the early '90's runs (sadly, after June 90, they all rolled into one). This guy rode up on his bike and rambled nonsense at us for so long that there were no cars left in the parking lot except ours and another one about 4 spaces over ( my wife is a very patient listener and didn't want to interrupt). Finally he takes a breath, we say our goodbyes and he hops on his bike, makes a large, sweeping arc and crashes hard into the other car. Sorry, I am a bad person, but I burst out laughing as we ran over to help him. He was fine, but his bike was pretty busted up. I am sure we all have plenty of great little tales from the road.
user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

Hilarious, man. You should write a book.
user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Hi marye,Thanks for your suggestion. I tried uploading it right side up and upside down and it still comes out the same. I tried deleting it and posting a picture of my wife and it still came up the same (an upside down cat). I can't seem to change it so I think I am going to delete it for now, wait a week or two, and see if I can upload a different picture. Thanks again for your help. - Automaticslim
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 11 months

Hot dam these sound amazing I think this is the best release so far for me that is
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

I wish this listening party worked on my computer!
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Having listened back to the Listening Party tracks a couple of times, I can say that Jeffrey Norman has truly outdone his self. The hugeness and clarity of the mix, as well as the peak of all peaks performance sets this release leagues above everything else released to date. That's saying a lot considering some of the recent great releases like the E'72 box, Sunshine Daydream, Warlocks box, the first S'90 box and even the last few Dave's Picks (yes, hard for some here to believe, but I actually do like shows from the '60s and '70s, as well as their MIDI era and even some Vince era stuff, so sue me). Now that nearly all of the top popularly traded shows have seen official release, it will be interesting to see how and if they can top this in the 50th year. Regarding the newest video clip featuring commentary from Bob Weir, Jeffrey Norman and Branford Marsalis, there are a couple of points that strike me. The first of which is when Branford states that he came out of his experience of playing with the Dead a better musician. For such a highly regarded musician to give the ultimate compliment really says a lot about how well the band was on during this point into their history. The second point is where Bob restates that this was, hands down, the best era for the Dead, which I totally have to agree with. While there is plenty of spirited debate amongst fans as to what the best eras are, nobody knows the music better than the musicians who performed it, and I whole-heartedly agree with Bob on this one. There were many great eras and performances prior and after, but this is when they became superheroes.
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

All I can say is.....GTFOH! :) OOhhhhh....hehe..PT.1
user picture

Member for

12 years

...totally concur, sounds AMAZING!!!stick around here, you will (should) be attack-free... we here seem to love it ALL, like yourself... SPOILER ALERT! if you wanna be surprised by the Listening Party, don't look down!! ~listening party tracklist: ~Stranger▪3.14 ~Just a Little Light▪3.18 ~Wharf Rat▪3.21 ~Touch of Grey▪3.25 ~Foolish Heart▪3.28 ~DARK STAR!▪3.29! ~Victim▪4.1 ~Estimated▪4.3 definitely a sweet chunk of tunes... happy sunday... ♤ ps... 2 dope axe men no one mentioned: Jack White (VISCIOUS tone, such an original style, & a KILLER new record) & Prince (YouTube him doing the solo during While My Guitar Gently Weeps @ the George Harrison memorial concert... he's in an all red suit... IT'S EPIC!!!)
user picture

Member for

16 years 3 months

I got my fingers in my ears and I'm going nananana! I'm waiting until the box arrives at my doorstep. HA. Happy to hear however about the quality of the music and sound from you'all.
user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

all soundboard shows have been removed from the torrents. People say it was Bobby who did this. It's the end of the world as we know it. Greed has taken over and now runs rampant throughout deadland. I never thought that this would happen but there you have it. Kinda makes me sick to my stomach. I was lucky enough to get tickets for an upcoming Ratdog show, 60 bucks to see them, so that means if you do the math that any "dead" reunion that happens next year will be so expensive that only the rich and privileged will be able to attend. Too bad, most deadheads I know can't afford 200 or 250 for a ticket. Don't get me wrong, I think any and all artists deserve to get paid for their work, but I also believe that this goes against everything that the Grateful Dead were about. The bus has a flat tire and is almost out of gas. Rhino's last year as keeper of the vault is next year, they will release everything and anything in 2015 to make max bucks before they have to renegotiate their contract with the surviving members. Only they know where this is going, but I can only hope that they don't make all us deadheads pay for their retirement. I guess when you become a multimillionaire you get use to it and don't want it to end. It's really sad that the best music ever made is now being held for ransom by the powers that be. This might not be the place to post this, but where else are you gonna post a comment where the band might actually read it. "The times they are a changing"
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Not to start an argument here, but every story has two sides. For much of this band's career they did not get rich. Most everything they made went back into their sound system, instruments, etc., in an effort to bring the best sound possible to their concert experience. That was their main focus.How many other groups make their music available for free as most of the Dead's stuff is on archive.org? So even if they remove their sound boards, there is still plenty of good quality auds available. Take a look at the sales dollars being generated by this release. 9,000 copies @ $240 each, comes to a bit over $2 million. Once Rhino and other production costs are taken out, it does not generate all that much for the band. Think about it. 9,000 is the total sale. Shrinks in comparison to the tens of millions the boy bands and Britney sold. I think it is not fair to accuse this band of being greedy. Sure, they want to make some money, and I for one think they deserve to. I think I get a fair return for every dollar I spend here. It is not as cheap as it once was, but tell me what is? Also, I think we as fans are delusional if we think the band members read these posts. They turned their release rights over to Dave & Rhino and I think they trust them to do what is right for everyone involved. I for one have not been disappointed in any of the releases. I am Grateful to be around at this point in time when so much is coming out. Think back to years past when we did not see much coming from the vault. I am a very happy Dead Head. Rock on
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

Soundboards being removed from Archive.org after a show is officially released is nothing new. Did you fall of the bus or something? Where you been? Please jump back on! I am a person who thinks greed is the worst fucking thing on the planet and it destroying peoples values and ways of life, etc. But this is just simple business...why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free kind of thing. Ever see the Festival Express movie? Bobby talks about how at one show a bunch of people were protesting because the show wasn't free...and he says something people forgetting that they were trying to make a living...
user picture

Member for

16 years 3 months

Refusing to give the music away for free does not make the band greedy. Demanding that they do or complaining that they don't makes you greedy. End of story. Edit: Not directed at you Unkle, or anyone else for that matter. Just the general sense of entitlement many in these parts feel.
user picture

Member for

16 years 3 months

I usually avoid the controversies on these boards-but-greed-are you kidding me? This band has been and still is very generous with their time, money and heritage almost without comparison. They did many benefits over the years and set up charitable foundations as we know which pumped a lot of $ into a lot of good and worthy causes. Still do. So they want to turn some of their musical heritage into income-it is their right and privilege. When they were still performing they kept their ticket prices low, took pains to avoid scalper domination of tickets, spent a lot of money on sound and vision and treated the fans to a marathon show every night. Unlike many others that I can think of who played short concerts of the same stuff over and over and only asked how high they could go with the ticket price. Oh and the Dead allowed you to tape their shows if you made the effort( sometimes right off the Board feed).Come on. They were not greedy and they are still awfully generous with their work product. I will continue to support their endeavors and am thankful for what they gave to me and other fans over the years regarding entertainment, good vibes, rational ideas and a break from the bullshit swirling around everywhere else. The lyrics alone were a great education. God Bless all of the Dead.
user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

Couldn't have said that any better.Short and to the point.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 8 months

I was never one to feel like the band owed us anything. Yes, we were loyal fans who spent hard-earned (and not hard-earned) cash on them, but they rewarded our money with some of the best live music in the history of the world. Everything, including the "right" to trade shows, is because of the band's generosity.
user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

I'm listening to 3/30/1990 from the first box right now, and enjoying it more than ever.
user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

After all these years, you'd think I wouldn't accidentally double post anymore, but those durned clicky buttons will getcha every time
user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

SO of course I ordered this boxed set, though the price was more than I was hoping for. I think they should release all of the spring tour 1990 as individually orderable shows like with Europe 72. Every few months, I find myself buying an individual E72 show, but would never have shelled out the full $450. I always tell myself, well, if I have buyer's remorse, I can always recoup on Ebay. I never do though. I have only sold duplicate shows, never my only copy. I am grateful that several years ago, I bought a giant binder full of Dead CDs (all official releases) on Ebay. THe seller listed only some of the titles, with a few pictures, and all the artwork was in the sleaves of the binder, just no jewel cases. ended up with a few hard to find bonus discs which I never could have afforded if the seller had listed them separately and knew what value they had. I got a 4 disc Can You Pass the Acid Test set that way, along with bonuses from Beyond Description and Golden Road. SOme duplicate other Dicks Picks and vault releses were in the binder, and those shows I sold, at a discount, and still recouped the price of the original binder purchase. I have yet to double order anything on Dead . Net with premeditated intent to distribute, however. Except one Autumn several years ago, I sort of accidentally fell into buying lots of '77 box sets to see if they had the bonus disc in them, then sold them on Ebay with proof that they had the bonus disc, as some of us were under the impression that maybe they would eventually run out of bonus discs.
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

My first comment on this failed to post. So here's the supershort version: It was a better time to be a Deadhead 10 years ago. Every soundboard you could want was freely available via Archive.org or torrent sites like Etree. Since then GDM has been eliminating these sources. Instead of those sources we are restricted to what GDM chooses to release, often edited, and occasionally wrapped up in hugely expensive packages. It is a better time to be an Audiophile Deadhead now. GDM products boast wonderful professional sound, it is true. I had all three nights of Egypt complete on fuzzy cassettes. Then I replaced those with crispy sdbds D/Led from Archive.org as MP3s (pre-DSL). Then GDM commercially released PARTS of these shows and blocked distrobution of the complete shows. I just this week got a wonderful lossless-source matrix recording of the third night complete. This probably was harvested from Etree before being reposted to a site I monitor. Owe us anything? No. Business? yes. Kind? no. Looking for profit? yes. g r e e d..... And Mustin321: Unkle Sam wasn't talking about what happened on Archive.org years ago, he is talking about Etree and now.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years

My favorite memory of this was leading up to Telluride in 87. Please jump in as my memory was battered by a very fun Red Rocks run and a frosty night sleeping on the Continental Divide. The anticipation leading up to the Telluride shows was crazy. In the Denver papers the asking price was over $1000 for the two days. Scalpers were working hard in Morrison, anticipating a huge pay day. I think we were about 20 miles out of Telluride heading in on the one road, when we were stopped by Bill Graham and his crew. They had a camper set up and were checking tickets. And guess what? If you didn't have any, they were selling them for less than what we paid mail order. Once you were past that point, you were in. The scalpers made not a dime. On the night between shows we saw a guy in a bar with about 100 unused tckets in his hand. What a shame! Not sure what is going on with Etree right now, but after nearly 20 years of unfettered online trading and torrenting of incredible soundboards, I don't think the boys owe us a damned thing. I would be very careful about using the word greedy without knowing all of the details, which we on the outside can only speculate about.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

The t-shirts are long gone, but I've still got most of the earrings. The whole town was an amazing vending scene as every shop in the place was full of hippie art and tie-dyes. The official poster was sold out before I even got to town. And yeah, for us Bay Areans, it was a treat to get to the venue and encounter the whole BGP crew, with Clide Williams telling us to have our tickets out and ready.
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

Etree, Archive...whats the difference? They announced that soundboards won't be available once a show is officially released...I'm assuming that means all free websites. Wanting everything for free is...nevermind Great Story Oxford 88
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years

Just checked things out and I guess I am confused. Is Unkle Sam talking about all soundboards or just the officially released shows? I just pulled down an 81 and 71 SB from Etree to test things out. No problems here. Seth Hollander, can you provide more details? Thanks!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years

Marye! Thanks for jogging that one loose. Clide was having a blast for sure. What an incredible weekend.
user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

Just a little sweetness, Just a little light.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years

Mine is still hanging in my bedroom at my Mom's house. Other than the original tack holes, it is in great shape. Marye, I will send it to you as a token of my appreciation for your keeping the peace here. Shoot me a PM and let me know.
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

You took the words right out of my mouth. I just did a quick test as well and no problems... Seth, Unkle Sam, where are you guys getting this info from?
user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

Everything is right where it should be in the mix, and the vocals are a bit relaxed so that when they sing you can still here the mix. It is perfect thanks Jeff. I always thought that with the right mix this spring 90 could compete with 73. Now Do This with Fall 89 tour Please, thank you.
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

My only knowledge of the issue is from Unkle Sam's post. Assumed he was correct. Would love to find out otherwise!
product sku