• 1,689 replies
    admin
    jq171(document).ready(function (jq171) { var covertArtDownloadMarkup = 'Looking for the digital cover art? You can download it here.'; setTimeout(function() { jq171('#digital_cart').append(covertArtDownloadMarkup); }, 500); });

What's Inside:
    •144-page paperback book with essays by Nicholas G. Meriwether and Blair Jackson
    •A portfolio with three art prints by Jessica Dessner
    • Replica ticket stubs and backstage passes for all eight shows
    •8 complete shows on 23 discs
          •3/14/90 Capital Centre, Landover, MD
          •3/18/90 Civic Center, Hartford, CT
          •3/21/90 Copps Coliseum, Hamilton, Ontario
          •3/25/90 Knickerbocker Arena, Albany, NY
          •3/28/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY
          •3/29/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY (featuring Branford Marsalis)
          •4/1/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA
          •4/3/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA
    Recorded by long-time Grateful Dead audio engineer John Cutler
    Mixed from the master 24-track analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios
    Mastered to HDCD specs by David Glasser
    Original Art by Jessica Dessner
    Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 9,000

Announcing Spring 1990 (The Other One)

"If every concert tells a tale, then every tour writes an epic. Spring 1990 felt that way: an epic with more than its share of genius and drama, brilliance and tension. And that is why the rest of the music of that tour deserves this release, why the rest of those stories need to be heard." - Nicholas G. Meriwether

Some consider Spring 1990 the last great Grateful Dead tour. That it may be. In spite of outside difficulties and downsides, nothing could deter the Grateful Dead from crafting lightness from darkness. They were overwhelmingly triumphant in doing what they came to do, what they did best — forging powerful explorations in music. Yes, it was the music that would propel their legacy further, young fans joining the ranks with veteran Dead Heads, Jerry wondering "where do they keep coming from?" — a sentiment that still rings true today, a sentiment that offers up another opportunity for an exceptional release from a tour that serves as transcendental chapter in the Grateful Dead masterpiece.

With Spring 1990 (The Other One), you'll have the chance to explore another eight complete shows from this chapter, the band elevating their game to deliver inspired performances of concert staples (“Tennessee Jed” and “Sugar Magnolia”), exceptional covers (Dylan’s “When I Paint My Masterpiece” and the band’s last performance of the Beatles’ “Revolution”) and rare gems (the first “Loose Lucy” in 16 years) as well as many songs from Built To Last, which had been released the previous fall and would become the Dead’s final studio album. Also among the eight is one of the most sought-after shows in the Dead canon: the March, 29, 1990 show at Nassau Coliseum, where Grammy®-winning saxophonist Branford Marsalis sat in with the group. The entire second set is one continuous highlight, especially the breathtaking version of “Dark Star.”

For those of you who are keeping track, this release also marks a significant milestone as now, across the two Spring 1990 boxed sets, Dozin At The Knick, and Terrapin Limited, the entire spring tour of 1990 has been officially released, making it only the second Grateful Dead tour, after Europe 1972, to have that honor.

Now shipping, you'll want to order your copy soon as these beautiful boxes are going, going, gone...

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • protondecay123
    Default Avatar
    To Fully reconstruct the show from 3/24/1990 at the Knick, you would need to buy " Without A Net " for the One More Saturday Night that closed the 1st Set, Postcards of the Hanging to get the Desolation Row that followed Loser in the 1st set, Dozin' at the Knick for Walking Blues in the 1st set and all of the 2nd set, and Spring 1990 (The Other One) to get the other songs from the 1st set. That show got hacked to pieces.
  • eyes43
    Does anyone have any definitive information on what exactly this is? Heres a link to the ebay item, it has sold, so if you click on this link and you are on a computer or phone, you will need to click on the item to see the original listing. Then you can see the photos, and the numbered coin, which instead of havings its own number, it says, "miracle"? Im thinking this might be what they decided to do with promo copies, instead of leaving it blank, or stamping it "promo" like the FW69 boxset. The Dave's Picks series, all have blank promo copies. (Would be very interesting to know how many promos they make for each of these limited edition items!!) Ok, heres the link:http://m.ebay.com/itm/Grateful-Dead-Spring-1990-The-Other-One-Box-Set-M… If you have the ebay app, you can also just enter this number in the search box, and it will bring you to the same item. Again, it has already sold, so you will need to click on it, to open the original listing. That item number is: 162549487635 Id really like to know what the miracle means on the numbered coins...it makes sense that it would be a promo, that they sent out to reviewers and whomever else is lucky enough to get all this stuff, we all do everything we can to afford, for free! And instead of stamping promo, or leaving blank, they stamped miracle, as in here is your miracle (free) 1990 spring TOO boxset!!! Must be nice!!! Still, though, would like to know for sure! Thanks.
  • company
    Default Avatar
    I'd check for you but I didn't order this box. Hopefully someone who did will be kind enough to take 5 mins to get you some confirmation so you don't think you're going nuts! beet juice
  • antonjo
    purplekush, I know this is a year after your post, but just for the record, gotta call b/s on your song-length observations: "7 minute Halfstep" ~ yeah, that's short, but so is 12/19/73 (7:29) "8 minute playin's" ~ 8:56 (7/1/78), meanwhile 10:27 (3/14/90), 11:40 (4/3/90) "17 minutes for a Help On The Way>Slipknot>Franklins Tower TOTAL" ~ 14:50 (8/13/75) "8 or 9 minute China-Cat>Rider has no time to even find a groove" ~ 13:17 (3/15/90), 11:09 (3/26/90), 10:24 (4/01/90), 11:05 (9/19/90) No 8 or 9-minute versions I could find on any of my '90 releases. "a 19 minute Scarlet-fire it's over before it starts" ~ really? I guess these are, too? : 19:33 (10/16/77), 18:01 (11/2/77), 18:16 (5/11/78), 19:55 (7/3/78), 18:28 (7/7/78) 3/16/90's Scarlet > Estimated is 22:25. Incidentally, 11/4/77's Other One = 4:25, and 7/5/78's Truckin' = 7:29. They're both pretty hot, though. Morals of the story ~ some older years boast just as short or shorter lengths as '90; not all '90 lengths are as short as you claimed; and most importantly, song lengths alone do not tell the tale on performance heat. I do share your wish for one of the Fall '73 shows with horns!
  • simonrob
    The problem with posting when a release finally sells out is that it inevitably becomes available again a day or two later. Won't make that mistake again. Stranger than fiction.
  • Fogle
    Pulled the trigger just in time this afternoon... Mickey's damn Beam told me, turns out it was the right call. Feels all the more special that it came so close. I'll be returning home to this precious package after nearly 4 months across the pond in a week plus. Perhaps my first post on deadland? I've been reading each and every release comment that you crazies have drummed up for years now. Maybe I'll be back! Nice place to be. Dave, dead.net, all involved in this community, thanks a ton!
  • simonrob
    Finally gone. That will make the folks at Rhino happy. Took a long time for one reason or another. Too soon after the first one? Simultaneous downloads available? 9000 was too many?
  • chr1skol1
    Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees! On yesterday I have got my Spring Box (The Other One). Thanks a lot guys that you have bring to us this exciting and beautiful box!
  • fahrenheit451
    Default Avatar
    Been waiting for what seems like forever for this thing to sell out.
  • DaveandDeeds
    Just wanted to throw this out there, I too was frustrated with iTunes metadata, however I believe this is from lazy and inaccurate individuals who load their poorly labeled discs to Gracenote or whatever, and then the options are usually wrong for the rest of us. This all started for me when I decided to import the E72 box. Nightmare!! My advice is, pick the option that "looks" the most accurate, but DO NOT import it as such. Instead, choose NOT to import, fix the mistakes first, then import away. Sorry for a three moth old reply, but we are all in this together. (~}:-
user picture

Member for

17 years 1 month
jq171(document).ready(function (jq171) { var covertArtDownloadMarkup = 'Looking for the digital cover art? You can download it here.'; setTimeout(function() { jq171('#digital_cart').append(covertArtDownloadMarkup); }, 500); });

What's Inside:
•144-page paperback book with essays by Nicholas G. Meriwether and Blair Jackson
•A portfolio with three art prints by Jessica Dessner
• Replica ticket stubs and backstage passes for all eight shows
•8 complete shows on 23 discs
      •3/14/90 Capital Centre, Landover, MD
      •3/18/90 Civic Center, Hartford, CT
      •3/21/90 Copps Coliseum, Hamilton, Ontario
      •3/25/90 Knickerbocker Arena, Albany, NY
      •3/28/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY
      •3/29/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY (featuring Branford Marsalis)
      •4/1/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA
      •4/3/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA
Recorded by long-time Grateful Dead audio engineer John Cutler
Mixed from the master 24-track analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios
Mastered to HDCD specs by David Glasser
Original Art by Jessica Dessner
Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 9,000

Announcing Spring 1990 (The Other One)

"If every concert tells a tale, then every tour writes an epic. Spring 1990 felt that way: an epic with more than its share of genius and drama, brilliance and tension. And that is why the rest of the music of that tour deserves this release, why the rest of those stories need to be heard." - Nicholas G. Meriwether

Some consider Spring 1990 the last great Grateful Dead tour. That it may be. In spite of outside difficulties and downsides, nothing could deter the Grateful Dead from crafting lightness from darkness. They were overwhelmingly triumphant in doing what they came to do, what they did best — forging powerful explorations in music. Yes, it was the music that would propel their legacy further, young fans joining the ranks with veteran Dead Heads, Jerry wondering "where do they keep coming from?" — a sentiment that still rings true today, a sentiment that offers up another opportunity for an exceptional release from a tour that serves as transcendental chapter in the Grateful Dead masterpiece.

With Spring 1990 (The Other One), you'll have the chance to explore another eight complete shows from this chapter, the band elevating their game to deliver inspired performances of concert staples (“Tennessee Jed” and “Sugar Magnolia”), exceptional covers (Dylan’s “When I Paint My Masterpiece” and the band’s last performance of the Beatles’ “Revolution”) and rare gems (the first “Loose Lucy” in 16 years) as well as many songs from Built To Last, which had been released the previous fall and would become the Dead’s final studio album. Also among the eight is one of the most sought-after shows in the Dead canon: the March, 29, 1990 show at Nassau Coliseum, where Grammy®-winning saxophonist Branford Marsalis sat in with the group. The entire second set is one continuous highlight, especially the breathtaking version of “Dark Star.”

For those of you who are keeping track, this release also marks a significant milestone as now, across the two Spring 1990 boxed sets, Dozin At The Knick, and Terrapin Limited, the entire spring tour of 1990 has been officially released, making it only the second Grateful Dead tour, after Europe 1972, to have that honor.

Now shipping, you'll want to order your copy soon as these beautiful boxes are going, going, gone...

user picture

Member for

11 years 10 months

Just a few other thoughts... 1) I'd love it if we could all say what we mean and not say it mean. Alas, I can only control myself, so that is what I will do. 2) The lack of Brent/80's releases -- or releases outside of a few choice years -- is a valid complaint. If I went to a buffet that advertised "something for everyone," and they served way more of two or three dishes and barely any of the dishes I loved -- say 6 different types of pizza, but only 1 chicken dish -- I'd be annoyed and might not go back there again. 3) The release of Spring 1990 (TOO) is not, I believe, a valid response to the Dave's Picks needs more of a variety argument. First of all, it's not a Dave's Picks release. I subscribed to Dave's Picks the last two years, and I've gotta say that I've been a little disappointed with the breadth of the release years as well. Second of all, it's expensive. I don't have enough income/savings to buy everything, so I couldn't "spring" (pun intended) for the new box set, and opted for the stand-alone Branford show. But you know what, I was hoping they would've released that show as a Dave's Picks at some point. That would've saved me a some money. 4) I love me some Brent. The most played Dead music for me has Brent playing. Took me a while to hunt down all the View From The Vault Soundtracks, but I did. And I love them. It's not asking too much to throw a little more love for those eras of shows into the mix. Peace.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I myself cannot really understand anyone saying that the subscription is too expensive. You get four, 3-disc complete shows plus 1 bonus disc. That is 13 discs for less then $100. That is $7.62 per disc. AND free shipping. Plus what you are receiving is available nowhere else. To me, this is a TREMENDOUS value. If you get a release that you do not want, do not open it and re-sell it. I GUARANTEE you will not lose any money on that sale and then you can sit back and wait for the next release, and it has cost you nothing. This way you will not be 'forced' to have something that you feel is not worthy of your consideration. Am I missing something here? This is a NO BRAINER!I myself would also like to see a little more variety in the eras released, but I am happy to see what DL releases. The shows always sound great, which to my uneducated mind, is amazing. How they can take tapes that are over 40 years old and restore them to such sonic quality is beyond my comprehension. Plus I love the great artwork and the liner notes. Maybe you are not happy with a particular release, but I really find it hard to believe that you would not subscribe next year. It is a no lose deal that offers the possibility to everyone that they will get "that" show, or "that" era, that they long for. Rock on.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 6 months

so, it's a rainy Saturday and I have some time to reflect and I want to sum it up into one word....... First, the Meet Up at the Movies was awesome. The sound quality and video was amazing. You got a really good example of that magic "chugging" rhythm that makes the Dead unique. Only loud clean tight playing makes that chug. Mr Charlie being the standout for this. I could barely keep still wanting to move the music. I loved the bands gear shots as well. I really hope this comes out on DVD, cause I think a lot of people once they bought it would be really stoked. Secondly, though my favorite era and years of the Dead are 1972 to 1979, specifically, 74 and 76, the awesome quality of the Spring 90 set soon to be released has me super stoked, that I will be able to complete my Spring 90 tour and hear the band at one of their many zeniths. Last, the announcement of Wichita from fall 1972 has me super super stoked. It's an amazing time for the band and it will be an amazing release with amazing chugging tone and playing. I'm stoked because we are being treated with so much and in my opinion, a good mix. This entire year has had some great, different, and really cool releases so far. Just imagine if NONE of it was happening? I shudder to think....... So to end how I began, I'm stoked
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 11 months

HUNTER: I wrote the words for “Touch of Grey” for a planned solo album that was dragging along. My version was much slower and Jerry asked if I minded him recasting it for the Grateful Dead. I And all of a sudden we had a hit single and I had enough money to buy a house. Interviewer: That song changed everything for the band. HUNTER: We were just about done. The Grateful Dead was virtually broke and there wasn’t enough money coming into the enterprise to cover expenses. I’m actually glad the success didn’t happen earlier because to my way of thinking everything went wonky after that. The old days were gone. There was suddenly huge money, which simply attracts huge problems. http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014/07/18/lyricist-robert-hunter-on-fin…
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 11 months

Aside from the special releases (SSDD and E72 - and can you really complain about those releases?) no show from 72 has seen the light of day since Dicks Picks 36 back in 2005. It was not represented in the Road Trips Series nor in Dave's so far. In terms of subscriptions and regular programming, we haven't seen 72 for nine years. Considering the level of play and the quality of these recordings, where's the beef? Since RT started, we've seen as much 93 as 72. And at the risk of poking a bear with a stick, we've been over saturated with the 80s in the last ten years. That and all that terrible 69 and 74. It's so frustrating as a fan that they were so well recorded, so creative and consistently on fire during those years. So please no more 80s and 90s unless it is a great show with great playing and recorded well. And I hope I don't have to wait another 9 years for another 72 show in the series (please sometime before DaP 47!)
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 8 months

DL2 has been very transparent about the entire process. The stated mission is to release shows thata. are well-played b. sound great c. are complete d. not from 1994 and 1995, as the band has squashed those. He has never stated that the archival series was meant to be representative of their career. It's to bring us the best shows that sound the best. With those stated criteria, there should be no surprise that the majority of releases are from 1968-1978 (as they have always been; more than 70% of Dick's Picks and Road Trips are also from this time period). DL2 has been very clear that the sound quality of tapes drops off precipitously once you get in to the early 80s. This is also reflected by the shows that have been released. DP13, DP32, DP6, and DP21, while good shows, are amongst the worst-sounding releases in the catalog (The 82 RT is a bit better). Sometimes the quality of the performance can overcome the poor recording quality, sometimes it cannot. I think the fact that 1979, 1980, 1989, and 1990 are well-represented shows that DL2 doesn't have an anti-Brent bias. Rather, there happen to be well-recorded shows from these years, and they've been released. 1990 in particular, is more represented than any other GD year excepting 1972. Prior to 1980, there just happen to be a higher proportion of well-played shows and a higher proportion of well-recorded shows. That's all.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Agree with the comment above that this was a great show. I was there, I loved it.
user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

Out of town for a wedding. I'll do a recap when I get back for those who care. I don't remember everything I said, so I'll have to go back and look at my posts. By the way, kudos to Zuckfun - he's the first one to go on record with the correct guess.
user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

I got really bored so I just decided to rip up a 20 dollar bill.Thank you for the inspiration. Not one, but two posts about destroying something of value. Yeah, we get it, you're a troller...congratulations.
user picture

Member for

11 years 8 months

these are high times indeed for the tribeBremen the other night blew my mind a crispy fall 72 release on the way spring 90 for those so inclined the Branford show in all it's glory bob, Phil, Mickey and bill still fanning the flame And the 50th of dead on the horizon I find all of this extraordinarily fortuitous and choose to let all of it make me happy If you can't do that yourselves than I truly am sorry for you PSA the fall 77 road trips still available is shipping with the bonus disc Anyone wanting my extra copy of the main release hit me up on PM and I'll send it out to you
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Great candid interview with Hunter!!! I'm excited for the Spring 90 and DaP 11. All good for me. May need to pick up disc only Europe 72 at some point. If only they'd release Fillmore 69 box I'd have every official release, which prob qualifies me for a diagnosis of some sort. I'm visiting beautiful Whidbey Island across the pond from Vancouver Island. I got the binoculars out but no DL sightings for the seaside chat!!!
user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

Writing you here since I know you don't often see PMs.... Just wanted you to know that I didn't make the P.O. here in my small town before they closed today, so your package will go out on Monday. Sorry for the delay, but it will be worth the wait! I'll be mailing you a treasure trove of live & rare AKAK -- a "freak-folk" soundtrack for psychedelic travels. Peace, Neb PS - ANYONE reading this who is interested in an Akron/Family sampler can PM me & I'll be happy to turn you on.
user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

Disclaimer: I say this everytime I listen to a new Dead or Jerry release. This GarciaLive Volume 4 might be my favorite so far. Great fat sound, great recording, nice vocals. How sweet it is indeed.
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

I want more 80s/90s releases (God, I am SUCH a troll!). 70s releases are great too. Dave's Picks are not enough! Last year I suggested a series focussing on releasing the Charlie Miller remasters. I suggest it again. There are hundreds of well mastered soundboards that Charlie miller has worked on. GDM has blocked the downloading of these works from LMA. How about you and Charlie get together and make some money! The masters are ready, so that cost is eliminated. Dave's Picks are not enough!
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

Google "Bittorrent" and "etree.org"
user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

I wonder how many of the Spring 90 Too sets have sold. If there's any left in a couple weeks I may have to take the plunge. I would think if they were down significantly they would show it on the site. Tempting I must say. Reassuring knowing there will be digital format although still no word on individual shows.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

My Dick Latvala signed Dick's Picks cd just arrived.. I could cry.
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

I know about the torrent option. I have have a few reasons why i haven't gotten into that world, but If I ever buy a new laptop I will. There are some very kind people out there who make a practice of pulling torrent posts and then making that content available as D/Ls from free-access storage sites. I rely on these people's kindness for more than half the music I accrue each month. One of these people is currently engaged in posting every non-released Dead show from '69, but he is in the middle of relocating and so his internet access and time for this project has been extremely limited. He is still working through February (2/7 is a super-high quality sdbd of hot music!). My policy is to buy what is commercially released and happily D/L whatever I see that isn't commercially available. Thanks for the suggestion. I hope other folks take your advice. Almost every concert you can think of was recorded by somebody (or the sdbd has slipped into fans' hands) and can be found as a torrent! You need plenty of free Hard Drive space and a willingness to allow remote access to your HD. If that is no problem for you, you are able to access 1000s of shows, Dead and otherwise!
user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

Yes...very well done, Zuckfun. Being the first to guess 11/17/72 was very impressive. bolo24: I would also enjoy your breakdown of the clues, when you get a chance. The obvious hints were Sugaree, Box of Rain, Brokedown Palace Casey Jones and Johnny B Goode. Thanks.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 1 month

Another great week in DeadLand. Excited for the folks who are lovin the 90's Box. Personally it does nothing for me, but that's a stash of cash still in the BAccount, good for me. Dave 72 right up my ally, but still hear the folks wanting more from Dave in Diversity. Kick myself for not hearing about DAP's till about a year and 1/2 ago. Missed out on some great shows, especially Pauley P from 73. That year really amuses the S..... out of me. Let's be a Jazz band for a year, Brillant.I've always been of the opinion that if the Dead had figured out a way to have gotten a lot of these releases in the Day they would have exploded. That might have been a bad thing, who knows. But remember Europe 72 3 record blowing people away that only casually liked the Dead. We are so lucky that the dead spent the extra cash ( something they were very good at) to record a ton of stuff. They didn't fly the Grateful Dead Jet and surely didn't make much cash for most of their careers, had way too many on the payroll which for all intents kept them from caving to the record industry and kept going on their own path. Claney, I also live in the Berks and am lucky to do so, except for this past March. Heading to Gathering in a couple weeks? If so give me a shout, I'll buy you a clean crisp Rollin Rock.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 5 months

Any other subscribers not receive the e-mail about vol.11?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 5 months

I can see the point of more variety. I can also see the point of being completely STOKED for fall 72!! :)

Member for

16 years 10 months

Heading out to an overnight musical jamboree in the forest. For driving soundtrack, will replace Ladies & Gentlemen (its Dark Star jam being perhaps TC's finest moment--perhaps tied with Caution jam from Dave's 10) with Dick's 36 (released 9 years ago, as opposed to Sunshine Daydream, released 1 year ago)...which itself boasts a fine He's Gone > Other One from 9-03-72 in anticipation of Dave's 11. Maybe I'll pack Dave's 10 also, and Eric Dolphy's Out to Lunch. Happy Saturday all...!
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

4/28 Dark Star is love!A Box of 4/71 Fillmore East complete shows would get nothing but love from me! Probably impossible due to guest artists issues, but maybe it will be part of the 50th Year releases?

Member for

16 years 10 months

Ok, so it's not Dave's 10, it's RT 1.3 (summer '71) & "24 of Hank Williams' Greatest Hits" --what could be better road music than that? Yeah, I hadn't heard that 4/28 Dark Star in a long time, I remembered it being kind of short--was really delighted how rich it is. Ok, I'm really running away from the 'puter now..... (anybody remember Deathlok?)
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I bought 2 Dave's Picks subscriptions (one for my friend) and I always get the notice for each one at different times. You can ways log into the site and check on your order for reassurance, but if they sent them to you before you should be good.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Check your PM.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Neb - wow, that sounds fantastic, can't wait to hear it. I'll be sending you something in return soon... Right you are about the PM, I basically never check that (not sure why). But I do check my email a lot - so that email address I sent you is a good way... Hopefully A/F will tour soon.. would love to see them (going to see White Denim in September, actually at a pretty small club in Western Mass, so pretty thrilled about that). Sanfran - holy crap, really, you live in the Berkshires? Agreed about last March (and much of April for that matter) - especially since we were starting a farm. (Been a freaking gorgeous summer though). I'll send you a PM with my email (for reason stated above!)
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 9 months

Hi people, Aussie Dead fan here. Anyone else not excited about the new Dave's Picks release? I just feel like he has taken the safe option most times. The man even started the series with a show from May '77. 1990 is my favourite year and even though 68-77 is prime Dead I would love to see some 80's releases. Dick's Picks 21 (11.1.85) kicks major ass. Awesome Dead. Daves's Picks 7 & 8 were nice changes of pace (78 & 80) and I always welcome a 1969 album but I think he needs to lay off the famous years for a few releases. Road Trips Vol.2 No.4 Cal Expo '93 is sooo much fun to hear. Great release! Some mid 80's Dead (not the safe 1989 option) or even some post 1990 Dead would be a nice change of pace. The Dick's Picks releases were great because chances were taken (just like the band) Imagine this place go off if a 1994 release was coming...
user picture

Member for

12 years 6 months

Funny, the crowd at Archive may be older - and sometimes grumpier, though certainly not more factionalized - but they damn well know their Dead. Your post is hyperbolic to the point of fiction: "even though 68-77 is prime dead" and/or "the famous years", Dave has allegedly "taken the safe option most times" by selecting shows from this self-admittedly peak era. Oi vey. I realize that I likely just fed the troll, but c'mon.../K
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 1 month

'Not to be a downer, but please folks. We hear ya that you want more 80's, more 90's and that you are subjected to way too much 70's and 60's. But Holy SHIT if you don't get the fact that these were the years that the Dead were in their peak you simply don't get it. Someone has to say it, but wake up. I get the fact that many caught their first show in the last half and want more releases from that era, but compared to the pre 80's this was lacking in so so many ways. Bobby likes to point out that the later years were tight, but it's simply not the case musically. The releases are way too many for complainers and to see the 90's box release after the 90 a spring would make most thank their lucky stars the the PTB have heard you, bent over backwards and fulfilled your wildest dreams. But still the complaints continue. Thank God Dave is in charge, we have person who's first Dead experience is late Dead, has access to the entire history and as much as he would love to push his era, still gets the fact that pre 80's is the best of the best. Love for all to be fulfilled, but if anything the Dead have done right, it's providing a proper history lesson of what they were and the material that represented their best efforts. Yes they had larger crowds in the later years, but those numbers never represented the best music they produced. For a clearer picture of that fact just check out the top selling albums in Rolling Stone each month, great #ers,rating, etc, pure garbage. Give Dave Break and take what you like and avoid not your taste, not that hard.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 2 months

Sometimes they go over the line but in general we should welcome them. I doubt Dave is offended, but, it will make him stronger eventually.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

...if it doesn't have a Wizard of Oz or Superman/Smallville reference, I'll be surprised. Methinks a tornado is in order....
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 1 month

Before the belief is paraded that pre 80's is "the best" Dead, perhaps it's worth remembering the entire Spring '90 tour is now released. The best Grateful Dead? Any night they are on is the best Grateful Dead, IMO.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Very happy about this pick! Great set list, playing, and era for recordings - what more could you ask for? I do hope in the future we get an 80s pick with some of the early versions of In The Dark tunes (early 80s) - but for now I am content to wait, especially with plenty of Brent being provided with the TOO box. I think Dave has been very adventurous with his picks and the only pick that isn't as solid as I would like is the '78 pick but its true to the year and I think I will just have to go back and try it again. Getting into the 90's is risky for me- I really like some of it but there are a lot of pitfalls - thin bass sound, guitars sounding too metal, midi (some is good, others not so much), electronic drums, calypso keys, bad vocals, missed lyrics - some of these negatives are in a lot of the eras but sometimes the later era playing could not make up for it. Just my opinion to each his own- but is the call for more '90s based more on nostalgia or is it really for the playing - playing wise I just don't see how that version of the band could hold a candle to fall '72-'74. Hoping for another '73 box in 2015 - Utica, Nassau, Boston run...
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 3 months

Just saw CSN at Ravinia in Highland Park Il. Great concert!!! If they show up in your town, see them. OUTSTANDING!!!
user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

That's like complaining about eating or breathing. There is no way we'll ever get everything we want from these releases. The way I see it, these releases are shows I've neglected and should pay attention to. I didn't want a '78 Pick but got it. And you know what? I like it! Enjoy this stuff as it comes out. You could be a Doors fan who was promised a 10 CD set of outtakes from the band's last album only to have the release quietly cancelled, never to be heard from again. Trust me, it could be worse! Everyone should head on over to the Archive for some 11/19/72 listening. Phil is especially prominent on this recording. And the little WRS jam after DS is a treat. Should prep you all nicely for DP 11.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 9 months

katky111 There was really no need for the line "I realize that I likely just fed the troll" I love The Dead and would not waste my time here starting trouble. I read a lot of comments here but hardly ever comment myself, and when I do I get your rude replies? Look, I understand there are going to be more releases from certain years and era's than others, but the amount of official live material from the 80's (apart from '80 & '89) is very thin to the point of being ridiculous. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't there just one cd release from 1987? None from 1986 and 1984 and just one from 1985? Releases from the prime Dead years will always form the bulk, and that is fine. Just do not like the fact that an era of Dead has been ignored for decades. Dick's Picks and Road Trips both went through all 4 decades the Dead were in and I hope David will do the same. D.P 17 (9.25.91) and D.P 27 (12.16.92) are also a taste of how great the 90's could be.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 9 months

After taking in a few of these recent comments, I've been compelled to quit lurking. Why is it that anyone who disagrees with the majority here is branded either a "troll" or "too stupid to realize that the '70s were the Dead's peak years?" The counterargument seems pretty straightforward: other years are underrepresented, even given the quality differential. So why all the mob-like foot stomping?
user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

just listened to the bird song from 3-29-90, beautiful. Then I listened to the bird song from 11-17-72, not bad but really no comparison. Then I listened to the Dark Star from 3-29, wow. Then I listened to the other one from 11-17, once again, no comparison. The 11-17 show has Donna singing that mussel shoals sound and I can't stand it, Sorry Donna but for me you did not fit in. So just go and listen to the two and you can hear the difference, one is a great show, almost perfect, the other is just ok, barely. So Dick wrote a note about the 11-17 show being off the hook, if it was so good, why was it not released before now? I'll tell you why, cause it's just not that good. Think about it, 500 people in attendance, very laid back crowd and this is what you get, the dead sounding like they were just going thru the motions and trying to get thru another show. Once again it's just an opinion and my opinion is 3-29-90 is head over heels a better show. What I see here is a total lack of respect for the later years the band performed, even when they themselves stated that after 25 years, it was like opening a bottle of fine wine. So I stand by my last post, 11-17-72, yawn, nothing here to really shout about, move along now. There were a lot of great shows in the 80's and 90's, I saw a few myself, and the total dismissal of these shows says to me that rhino is in it for the money. They sold these subscriptions for dave's picks and they all but sold out this time, so they can release what ever they please, even if it ain't that good, it's a captive audience and I for one feel let down again by the powers that be.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

unkle sam wrote: "So Dick wrote a note about the 11-17 show being off the hook, if it was so good, why was it not released before now? I'll tell you why, cause it's just not that good." According to that logic, 3/29/90 is an even worse show, since it is being released *after** 11/17/72. :)
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 8 months

"They sold these subscriptions for dave's picks and they all but sold out this time, so they can release what ever they please, even if it ain't that good, it's a captive audience and I for one feel let down again by the powers that be." So by this "logic", Rhino is run by a bunch of sadists who derive pleasure from tricking mindless Deadheads into buying subscriptions, and releasing the opposite of what they want? That's not a business model. It's also borderline insane to think it is a business model. It's also not sustainable. For example, if I started selling...oh, I dunno...burritos that weren't very good and gave people terrible gastroenteritis, eventually people would stop buying my terrible burritos and go to the stand next door (ie archive.org) that was giving away supposedly better burritos for free. You certainly wouldn't expect my burritos to sell out every day to the point where I was having to work longer and longer hours every day just to get the burritos out there. And yet, all of the releases sell out...and the subscriptions increase every year. I've had this conversation with others here before. No one cares if you really love 1986 Jerry and can't stand 1970. That's wonderful for you. Also, no one is saying that no one has the right to express an opinion. The problem is when people erroneously assume that Rhino/DL2/TBTB have some weird agenda to mess with Deadheads or release inferior product. But anyways, this argument is old, tired, and boring. I think I'm going to start resisting the urge to engage. Some people might like that anyway.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Of course Rhino is in it for the money. What else would they be in it for? None of this would exist if they didn't make a profit. The 70s get more love from them because they sell better, simple as that. It is pointless to argue about which era is best. TPTB care about what is popular, just like all merchants. They are working inside a tight niche market and are managing their risks very well -- the success of their stewardship of the vault is testament to that. I think it's awesome. Who would have thought that this business model would succeed? I am amazed. And why does anyone thank Dave for "giving" us anything (other than 30 Days of Dead)? He is selling us stuff, not giving it, and that works great for everyone -- Dave, Rhino, and Heads. While I'm here, can we stop calling people trolls? I don't think we hear from actual trolls on this site. Mary squashes them before they get published. People with opinions that don't match yours do not deserve the abuse they get around here.
user picture

Member for

11 years 8 months

folks lamenting the lack of releases of a certain line up of the band, in a thread promoting the simultaneous release of EIGHT shows featuring that line up priceless...
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 9 months

One potential (if admittedly imperfect) resolution to some of the expressed "era aggravation:" Dave could reveal each subscription's lineup before sales commence. Yes, this would require some planning. But so what? The only other reason to keep subscribers in the dark would be to bump sales to fans uninterested in all four shows. While this doesn't resolve the underlying issue of era representation, it WOULD provide Dave with a better idea of true demand and allow uninterested Heads to "tune out" until their number comes up. @ Chris Grand: Years, rather than lineups, seem to be the issue. But I think you know that. Funny, though... no one will call you a troll!
product sku