• 1,689 replies
    admin
    jq171(document).ready(function (jq171) { var covertArtDownloadMarkup = 'Looking for the digital cover art? You can download it here.'; setTimeout(function() { jq171('#digital_cart').append(covertArtDownloadMarkup); }, 500); });

What's Inside:
    •144-page paperback book with essays by Nicholas G. Meriwether and Blair Jackson
    •A portfolio with three art prints by Jessica Dessner
    • Replica ticket stubs and backstage passes for all eight shows
    •8 complete shows on 23 discs
          •3/14/90 Capital Centre, Landover, MD
          •3/18/90 Civic Center, Hartford, CT
          •3/21/90 Copps Coliseum, Hamilton, Ontario
          •3/25/90 Knickerbocker Arena, Albany, NY
          •3/28/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY
          •3/29/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY (featuring Branford Marsalis)
          •4/1/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA
          •4/3/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA
    Recorded by long-time Grateful Dead audio engineer John Cutler
    Mixed from the master 24-track analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios
    Mastered to HDCD specs by David Glasser
    Original Art by Jessica Dessner
    Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 9,000

Announcing Spring 1990 (The Other One)

"If every concert tells a tale, then every tour writes an epic. Spring 1990 felt that way: an epic with more than its share of genius and drama, brilliance and tension. And that is why the rest of the music of that tour deserves this release, why the rest of those stories need to be heard." - Nicholas G. Meriwether

Some consider Spring 1990 the last great Grateful Dead tour. That it may be. In spite of outside difficulties and downsides, nothing could deter the Grateful Dead from crafting lightness from darkness. They were overwhelmingly triumphant in doing what they came to do, what they did best — forging powerful explorations in music. Yes, it was the music that would propel their legacy further, young fans joining the ranks with veteran Dead Heads, Jerry wondering "where do they keep coming from?" — a sentiment that still rings true today, a sentiment that offers up another opportunity for an exceptional release from a tour that serves as transcendental chapter in the Grateful Dead masterpiece.

With Spring 1990 (The Other One), you'll have the chance to explore another eight complete shows from this chapter, the band elevating their game to deliver inspired performances of concert staples (“Tennessee Jed” and “Sugar Magnolia”), exceptional covers (Dylan’s “When I Paint My Masterpiece” and the band’s last performance of the Beatles’ “Revolution”) and rare gems (the first “Loose Lucy” in 16 years) as well as many songs from Built To Last, which had been released the previous fall and would become the Dead’s final studio album. Also among the eight is one of the most sought-after shows in the Dead canon: the March, 29, 1990 show at Nassau Coliseum, where Grammy®-winning saxophonist Branford Marsalis sat in with the group. The entire second set is one continuous highlight, especially the breathtaking version of “Dark Star.”

For those of you who are keeping track, this release also marks a significant milestone as now, across the two Spring 1990 boxed sets, Dozin At The Knick, and Terrapin Limited, the entire spring tour of 1990 has been officially released, making it only the second Grateful Dead tour, after Europe 1972, to have that honor.

Now shipping, you'll want to order your copy soon as these beautiful boxes are going, going, gone...

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • protondecay123
    Default Avatar
    To Fully reconstruct the show from 3/24/1990 at the Knick, you would need to buy " Without A Net " for the One More Saturday Night that closed the 1st Set, Postcards of the Hanging to get the Desolation Row that followed Loser in the 1st set, Dozin' at the Knick for Walking Blues in the 1st set and all of the 2nd set, and Spring 1990 (The Other One) to get the other songs from the 1st set. That show got hacked to pieces.
  • eyes43
    Does anyone have any definitive information on what exactly this is? Heres a link to the ebay item, it has sold, so if you click on this link and you are on a computer or phone, you will need to click on the item to see the original listing. Then you can see the photos, and the numbered coin, which instead of havings its own number, it says, "miracle"? Im thinking this might be what they decided to do with promo copies, instead of leaving it blank, or stamping it "promo" like the FW69 boxset. The Dave's Picks series, all have blank promo copies. (Would be very interesting to know how many promos they make for each of these limited edition items!!) Ok, heres the link:http://m.ebay.com/itm/Grateful-Dead-Spring-1990-The-Other-One-Box-Set-M… If you have the ebay app, you can also just enter this number in the search box, and it will bring you to the same item. Again, it has already sold, so you will need to click on it, to open the original listing. That item number is: 162549487635 Id really like to know what the miracle means on the numbered coins...it makes sense that it would be a promo, that they sent out to reviewers and whomever else is lucky enough to get all this stuff, we all do everything we can to afford, for free! And instead of stamping promo, or leaving blank, they stamped miracle, as in here is your miracle (free) 1990 spring TOO boxset!!! Must be nice!!! Still, though, would like to know for sure! Thanks.
  • company
    Default Avatar
    I'd check for you but I didn't order this box. Hopefully someone who did will be kind enough to take 5 mins to get you some confirmation so you don't think you're going nuts! beet juice
  • antonjo
    purplekush, I know this is a year after your post, but just for the record, gotta call b/s on your song-length observations: "7 minute Halfstep" ~ yeah, that's short, but so is 12/19/73 (7:29) "8 minute playin's" ~ 8:56 (7/1/78), meanwhile 10:27 (3/14/90), 11:40 (4/3/90) "17 minutes for a Help On The Way>Slipknot>Franklins Tower TOTAL" ~ 14:50 (8/13/75) "8 or 9 minute China-Cat>Rider has no time to even find a groove" ~ 13:17 (3/15/90), 11:09 (3/26/90), 10:24 (4/01/90), 11:05 (9/19/90) No 8 or 9-minute versions I could find on any of my '90 releases. "a 19 minute Scarlet-fire it's over before it starts" ~ really? I guess these are, too? : 19:33 (10/16/77), 18:01 (11/2/77), 18:16 (5/11/78), 19:55 (7/3/78), 18:28 (7/7/78) 3/16/90's Scarlet > Estimated is 22:25. Incidentally, 11/4/77's Other One = 4:25, and 7/5/78's Truckin' = 7:29. They're both pretty hot, though. Morals of the story ~ some older years boast just as short or shorter lengths as '90; not all '90 lengths are as short as you claimed; and most importantly, song lengths alone do not tell the tale on performance heat. I do share your wish for one of the Fall '73 shows with horns!
  • simonrob
    The problem with posting when a release finally sells out is that it inevitably becomes available again a day or two later. Won't make that mistake again. Stranger than fiction.
  • Fogle
    Pulled the trigger just in time this afternoon... Mickey's damn Beam told me, turns out it was the right call. Feels all the more special that it came so close. I'll be returning home to this precious package after nearly 4 months across the pond in a week plus. Perhaps my first post on deadland? I've been reading each and every release comment that you crazies have drummed up for years now. Maybe I'll be back! Nice place to be. Dave, dead.net, all involved in this community, thanks a ton!
  • simonrob
    Finally gone. That will make the folks at Rhino happy. Took a long time for one reason or another. Too soon after the first one? Simultaneous downloads available? 9000 was too many?
  • chr1skol1
    Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees! On yesterday I have got my Spring Box (The Other One). Thanks a lot guys that you have bring to us this exciting and beautiful box!
  • fahrenheit451
    Default Avatar
    Been waiting for what seems like forever for this thing to sell out.
  • DaveandDeeds
    Just wanted to throw this out there, I too was frustrated with iTunes metadata, however I believe this is from lazy and inaccurate individuals who load their poorly labeled discs to Gracenote or whatever, and then the options are usually wrong for the rest of us. This all started for me when I decided to import the E72 box. Nightmare!! My advice is, pick the option that "looks" the most accurate, but DO NOT import it as such. Instead, choose NOT to import, fix the mistakes first, then import away. Sorry for a three moth old reply, but we are all in this together. (~}:-
user picture

Member for

17 years 1 month
jq171(document).ready(function (jq171) { var covertArtDownloadMarkup = 'Looking for the digital cover art? You can download it here.'; setTimeout(function() { jq171('#digital_cart').append(covertArtDownloadMarkup); }, 500); });

What's Inside:
•144-page paperback book with essays by Nicholas G. Meriwether and Blair Jackson
•A portfolio with three art prints by Jessica Dessner
• Replica ticket stubs and backstage passes for all eight shows
•8 complete shows on 23 discs
      •3/14/90 Capital Centre, Landover, MD
      •3/18/90 Civic Center, Hartford, CT
      •3/21/90 Copps Coliseum, Hamilton, Ontario
      •3/25/90 Knickerbocker Arena, Albany, NY
      •3/28/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY
      •3/29/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY (featuring Branford Marsalis)
      •4/1/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA
      •4/3/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA
Recorded by long-time Grateful Dead audio engineer John Cutler
Mixed from the master 24-track analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios
Mastered to HDCD specs by David Glasser
Original Art by Jessica Dessner
Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 9,000

Announcing Spring 1990 (The Other One)

"If every concert tells a tale, then every tour writes an epic. Spring 1990 felt that way: an epic with more than its share of genius and drama, brilliance and tension. And that is why the rest of the music of that tour deserves this release, why the rest of those stories need to be heard." - Nicholas G. Meriwether

Some consider Spring 1990 the last great Grateful Dead tour. That it may be. In spite of outside difficulties and downsides, nothing could deter the Grateful Dead from crafting lightness from darkness. They were overwhelmingly triumphant in doing what they came to do, what they did best — forging powerful explorations in music. Yes, it was the music that would propel their legacy further, young fans joining the ranks with veteran Dead Heads, Jerry wondering "where do they keep coming from?" — a sentiment that still rings true today, a sentiment that offers up another opportunity for an exceptional release from a tour that serves as transcendental chapter in the Grateful Dead masterpiece.

With Spring 1990 (The Other One), you'll have the chance to explore another eight complete shows from this chapter, the band elevating their game to deliver inspired performances of concert staples (“Tennessee Jed” and “Sugar Magnolia”), exceptional covers (Dylan’s “When I Paint My Masterpiece” and the band’s last performance of the Beatles’ “Revolution”) and rare gems (the first “Loose Lucy” in 16 years) as well as many songs from Built To Last, which had been released the previous fall and would become the Dead’s final studio album. Also among the eight is one of the most sought-after shows in the Dead canon: the March, 29, 1990 show at Nassau Coliseum, where Grammy®-winning saxophonist Branford Marsalis sat in with the group. The entire second set is one continuous highlight, especially the breathtaking version of “Dark Star.”

For those of you who are keeping track, this release also marks a significant milestone as now, across the two Spring 1990 boxed sets, Dozin At The Knick, and Terrapin Limited, the entire spring tour of 1990 has been officially released, making it only the second Grateful Dead tour, after Europe 1972, to have that honor.

Now shipping, you'll want to order your copy soon as these beautiful boxes are going, going, gone...

Member for

16 years 10 months

LOVE the box. Nice Baltimore-centric art for Landover ; ) (Orioles are about to clinch the division, speaking of...) Being one who mostly loves the live feed sound on the first box, I can't argue that Jeffrey's mixes on this are just something to revel in as you listen. 3/14 never sounded so good--though I can't yet bring myself to listen to Memphis Blues. Quite the letdown song choice after Jerry busts out Loose Lucy (!) Jerry seemed to agree, and didn't sing many, if any, harmonies on the choruses (my favorite element) as I recall. All was forgiven two nights later with BTW, of course : ) The E72 box listed all the songs and how many times played, so since the new box doesn't have that, here it is, albeit horizontally so it fits on one post: All Along the Watchtower (2), And We Bid You Goodnight (2), Althea (2), Around and Around (3), Attics of My Life (1), Beat It On Down the Line (1), Believe It Or Not (1), Bertha (2), Big Railroad Blues (1), Big River (2), Bird Song (3), Black Muddy River (2), Black Peter (2), Black Throated Wind (2), Blow Away (2), Box of Rain (1), Brokedown Palace (2), Brown-Eyed Women (2), Built To Last (1), Candyman (1), Cassidy (2), China Cat Sunflower (3), China Doll (2), Cold Rain and Snow (2), Crazy Fingers (4), Cumberland Blues (2), Dark Star (1), Deal (2), Dear Mr. Fantasy (4), Death Don't Have No Mercy (1), Desolation Row (1), Dire Wolf (1), Don't Ease Me In (3), Dupree's Diamond Blues (1), Easy to Love You (4), Estimated Prophet (4), Eyes of the World (3), Far From Me (1), Feel Like a Stranger (3), Fire On the Mountain (1), Foolish Heart (3), Franklin's Tower (2), Friend of the Devil (1), Gimme Some Lovin (3), Goin Down the Road Feeling Bad (3), Good Lovin (2), Greatest Story Ever Told (1), He's Gone (3), Hell In a Bucket (3), Help On the Way (2), Hey Jude/verses (1), Hey Jude/finale (2), Hey Pocky Way (2), High Time (1), I Know You Rider (3), I Need a Miracle (4), I Will Take You Home (3), Iko Iko (2), It's All Over Now (2), It's All Over Now Baby Blue (2), It Must Have Been the Roses (1), Jack Straw (2), Jack-a-Roe (2), Just a Little Light (2), Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues (2), Knocking On Heaven's Door (2), The Last Time (3), Let It Grow (3), Let the Good Times Roll (2), Little Red Rooster (2), Looks Like Rain (3), Loose Lucy (3), Loser (2), Lovelight (3), Mama Tried (1), Man Smart Women Smarter (3), Me and My Uncle (2), Mexicali Blues (1), The Mighty Quinn (1), Mississippi Half-Step (2), Morning Dew (2), The Music Never Stopped (2), New Minglewood Blues (3), Never Trust a Woman (2), Not Fade Away (4), One More Saturday Night (1), The Other One (4), Peggy-O (1), Picasso Moon (5), Playing In the Band (5), The Promised Land (3), Queen Jane Approximately (4), Ramble On Rose (2), Revolution (2), Row Jimmy (3), Samson and Delilah (2), Scarlet Begonias (3), Shakedown Street (2), Ship Of Fools (2), Slipknot! (2), Spoonful (2), Stagger Lee (1), Stella Blue (3), Sugar Magnolia (3), Sugaree (2), Standing On the Moon (2), Stuck Inside of Mobile (1), Tennessee Jed (3), Terrapin Station (3), Throwing Stones (4), To Lay Me Down (1), Touch of Grey (3), Truckin' (4), Uncle John's Band (3), U.S. Blues (1), Victim Or the Crime (3), Walking Blues (3), Wang Dang Doodle (1), We Can Run (3), The Weight (2), West LA Fadeaway (1), Wharf Rat (3), The Wheel (3), When I Paint My Masterpiece (4) 16 shows 123 different songs (only counted Hey Jude once ; ) 3 breakouts after 10+ year hiatuses average 17 songs per show (+ jams, drums & spaces) 31 songs played just once each. 3 Scarlets, but only 1 Fire. 4 Crazy Fingers in one tour, previously unheard of. And 2 Jack-a-Roes! Just one US Blues and only 3 shows with Bob cowboy medleys--pretty surprising. All in all, quite a vast & tasty repertoire for one little tour. Some songs not played: Alabama Getaway, CC Rider (Walkin kind of stole its slot), Comes a Time, El Paso, Johnny B. Goode, Might As Well, Saint of Circumstance, Smokestack Lightning, They Love Each Other, Tons of Steel, When Push Comes to Shove. Dancing In the Streets & Brother Esau, like a few of the preceding MIAs, were gone for good, though that wasn't certain just yet. Currently enjoying the Knick show. Yes, the Eyes is sublime (even with requisite beaches/seasons flubs), and the first set is WONDERFUL. Gotta love a Greatest Story opener.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

.....nice stats antonjo.....quite the tour indeed. Love that they only repeated an encore once. Getting ready to spin Copps 3/21, second set. So far, except for a flub during Ramble On in Hartford, I can't single out a sour note. So much music, so little time. Nice intro into Pocky Way BTW... Now, onto the artwork. Quite impressive Dressler. Top three covers... Omni 4/3....Terrapin Tambourine, plus a slot machine...go Vegas!!! Cap Center 3/14....love the yo-yo Nassau 3/28.....regal.... There's my 2 cents...feel free to reply...
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

...and into Drumz, Billy & Mickey break out those church bell samples that I remember so well...I refer to the Hamilton version of course....good times...
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

Only about 1/2 way through the set. Man does it bring vivid memories of days gone by.Thanks to all that made this happen again..... :) Who says time machines aren't real?!?
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

this deep into it and I keep going back to 3-29.:0)
user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

There were at least two "Spoonful's"
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

and up to 3/28/90.... SOUNDS AWESOME. Almost as good as being there... and I was AT this show. Granted now that I'm listening at work, I was in a bit different mental state, being 18 at the time of this show... and 42 now... and my BAC was different during New Minglewood (playing now) than it is here at 8:35am today... but oh well... sounds great... what memories. This is STELLAR. and I stand by my statement that this may be the best box they've released. It' definitely comparable to the E72 trunk... personally I'm thinking I like it better. Can't wait to hear 3/29/90 later on... was at that one too.
user picture

Member for

14 years

Really bummed that both 3-25 and 3-26 from Dozin' got full show releases between the two boxes, but 3-24 (one of my favorites) is still spread across 4 releases with different mixes/mastering. Can we start a campaign to have Jeffrey Norman rework 3-24 from the multis and release it as a digital only in HD Flac to really complete the Spring 1990 tour?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 10 months

YES! on 3-24. That is in most people's minds, one of the top five shows from this tour (I have it in the top 2), yet it has to be spliced together to enjoy. There was part of me hoping that it was going to be included as a secret part of this, or even a free download to those who purchased the box set. Alas. We have to go to the grass roots approach
user picture

Member for

15 years

This is a very classy release. I have to recommend it to anyone who might be on the fence. It is beautifully presented, and the music sounds unbelievable. The multi-track mixes added in my decision to purchase it! Sounds beautiful.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 3 months

I agree on 3-24. They should re-do it as a stand alone release mixed from the multi-tracks. I would prefer buying it as a physical product, however it's hard to see them doing anything other than a download.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Y'all musta somehow read my mind today. When I got home from work I was all ready to compile 3/24/90 and insert it next to all the Spring '90 goodies in my iTunes. But then I realized how choppy it would be with so many fades and breaks. I do have the technology to knit it all back together, but it would be a ton of work and I'm not quite that obsessive. So, like you, I hope there is a full release of this show. I would buy it if reasonably priced (not like that Terrapin Limited b.s. that I paid way too much for, thinking the revenues were going toward a worthy cause).
user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

And I am happily listening to 3/14, pretty hot Stranger. OMG all the tunes I have to listen to in this box! Unlike many of you, I heard some of this tour when it first happened, and now it's discovery time cause I haven't heard these shows in a while, so I am totally psyched! The SOUND is incredible!!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 1 month

It's been said before, though still not enough. This Box is one of Norman's greatest achievements- A brillant illustration of his mastery. The sound quality achieved here sets the standard- the high water mark of live concert recordings. Thanks for all the efforts- Just exactly perfect is an understatement.
user picture

Member for

15 years 3 months

Just got back from the show, three drummers with full kits at the front of the stage and the rest of the band on risers behind - nice! Latest Crimson lineup (Mark VIII) – Fripp, bassist Tony Levin, singer-guitarist Jakko Jakszyk, saxophonist Mel Collins and drummers Gavin Harrison, Pat Mastelotto and Bill Rieflin. Here's the dates: Thu 18 Sep New York, NY Best Buy Fri 19 Sep New York, NY Best Buy Sat 20 Sep New York, NY Best Buy Tue 23 Sep Madison, WI Barrymore Theatre Thu 25 Sep Chicago, IL The Vic Theatre Fri 26 Sep Chicago, IL The Vic Theatre Tue 30 Sep Los Angeles, CA Orpheum Theatre Wed 01 Oct Los Angeles, CA Orpheum Theatre Fri 03 Oct San Francisco, CA The Warfield Sat 04 Oct San Francisco, CA The Warfield Mon 06 Oct Seattle, WA Moore Theater For the limited shows I've seen this year -> Better than Ratdog show 2nd nite in Boston (very good show) and the Jerry Garcia Symphonic also 2nd nite in Boston. And a lot of the music was first listens for me. Very good show - check out the RS review (set list spoiler alert)... (sorry for the duplicate post - posted on DaL11 page)...
user picture

Member for

10 years

This box sounds great! That first Loose Lucy is awesome. Just finished getting through all of it for the first time round, and I am happy with this release. It does make one wonder how the first box might have sounded, though I enjoy that ones mix also. Tried to order tickets to King CRimson in Seattle but was too late, sold out. Oh well the King Crimson I listen to the most was only together for like 2 years back in the 60s hahaha. Fripp is awesome though.
user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

#494 in Saint Paul is wow. Just wow. What a treasure for the eyes, ears, and hands. I have realized just how special this tour was, even if it has made my 23 shows from 1991-1993 much less interesting. p.s. I thought that the first 1990 box set sounded great, too; that one is very warm and analog-sounding, and how it might have sounded in the auditoriums. The new one is crystal clear and sounds wonderful in a different way.
user picture

Member for

16 years 2 months

sound quality-maybe the best job to date? King Crimson-yes looks like something important is happening again with Fripp and new configuration-I am hoping some studio release or live release of this band ( studio may be out of question given Fripp's recent comments)-also The "lost" spring 90 show-release on vinyl for back to Black Friday record event? Out of thread-for those classical fans out there-big box coming out in a couple of months commemorating Vienna Philharmonic on Decca-this one to be done right unlike the previous DG box
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

After listening to this, is it any wonder that they wanted him to play the second set - I am surprised they didn't offer him every penny they had to stay in the band - wonderful. Can we have David Murray and Ornette Coleman collaborations next?
user picture

Member for

11 years 8 months

not because of the money (though it is a factor) but because i'm afraid i wont listen to it as much as i would all the 60's/70's stuff i have. y'all are making it hard to resist however. is the sound really that good?
user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

...Yes it is really that good. I enjoy the older stuff too but it is definitely worth having in your collection. If you want the box id buy now but get the download you will be happy you did.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

The sound is phenomenal, period. Worth every penny. I too would say I am primarily a '70's guy, but I love all Dead, and this is just pristine and amazing. Not to be missed.
user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

David Murray of course has a world of non-Dead-related jazz worth checking out: "Home" -- an older one by his Octet -- is wonderful. But... If you haven't heard his disk "Dark Star" you have missed out; rectify that ASAP!!!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

I saw King Crimson twice in 1995 during the double trio line-up with Mastelotto and Bruford on drums, Adrian Belew and Fripp on guitars, and Trey Gunn and Tony Levin on bass and stick. Man! The Cincinatti show at Taft (Belew's home town) was one of the best shows I've ever attended. I was 2nd row in Atlanta at the Fox Theatre. Had tix for Columbus, and realized when I was getting ready to leave, the show had been the night before. I was devastated. I was going to try to see them at the Vic in Chi Town, but the tix are steep and I haven't got the scratch. I would love to see Bill Rieflin (Ministry) with KC! Fripp says no dice on a studio release. High hopes for live downloads on the Discipline Global Mobile website.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

I had the luxury of working from home today and my soundtrack was 3 complete shows from this new box. I am a GD 70s snob AND an audio nut, and I still was bowled over by these shows. Granted, I may not listen to these as much as my 70s collection, but I will certainly re-visit them pretty regularly. There is something about having the songs in context that helps the appreciation of them. The sets vary widely. And Jeff Norman hit it out of the park this time. I am critical of the E72 box (mixed by JN in a rush) and Formerly the Warlocks (mixed by some other guy at TRI), but this one is about perfect.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 10 months

If you purchased the last box set and experienced some serious "wow" factor there, this release has the same amount and more that is indeed worth the additional price of admission. These two volumes are like yin and yang together, with TOO being more like the yang - laced with some ultra-pure White Lightning! All of these shows are just as good as the first Spring 1990 collection performance-wise. Major pluses of TOO have already been noted here: *Utterly fantastic 24-track mix by Jeffrey Norman *Two additional shows in the box, which includes the epic Branford Marsalis show on 3/29 *Very beautiful artwork and design that complements the other box well, with an individually numbered Tiger Coin! (#4501 here) If there have been any comments regarding what the box needs more of - as if there was not enough already - they have been around the sound not being as ambient or spacious as the first box. That being said, the mix is significantly better produced and sounds a lot nicer; there is much more clarity and separation between the instruments, with a very nice warmth to it. The results are stunning. Saying this is one of the best sounding GD releases ever is hardly an understatement, so there's nothing to be unhappy with or any reason to have buyer's remorse. My only quibble, if I had to have one, would be with the CD cases. Why not put the whole set list on one panel and use the extra panel for a great photo from the show itself or some other archived material? That little, flipping-over motion to read the whole set list is...wholly inconvenient. Unwholly. One All-TOO Satisfied Buyer
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....it's minor, but I'm going to throw it out there. What is the blue ribbon/bookmark for? That's all.....otherwise, absolutely perfect...
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Mine is attached at one end. It's to help pull the cardboard sleeves out of the box. Maybe yours came loose. That happened to mine on the first box.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

.....I thought that too one man, but in the first box, each compartment for the cases had their own ribbon to help pull them out, but TOO only has one ribbon for all four. Not practical, at least to me....so what is the blue ribbon for? Oh yeah, first place...Winner, Winner, Chicken dinner.......
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Not to belabor this, but the first box had one ribbon for each of the two disc wells. This box has only one ribbon for the cardboard stuff ABOVE the disc wells.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....and it came together like a thunderclap....ohhh, it lifts the cardboard inserts!!....(palm of hand smacking forehead motion). Disregard my last two posts. The set IS perfect!! Blue Ribbon Redux would be a cool name for a band...
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 9 months

This box is great. If only as much care had gone into the Europe '72 box (not complaining too much given how unbelievable the music is.) Yes, the mix is better than the first Spring 1990 box but it's like two sides of the same coin. I'm much more of a 60's/70's head but this box has made me appreciate later Dead a lot more. I will be coming back to these shows often in the coming years. Can you believe all the great shows released in the last 5 years alone? And never did I think I would own the FW '69 shows, E '72 complete tour, SSDD and Spring '90 tour all in outstanding fidelity. GRATE time to be a Deadhead!
user picture

Member for

15 years 3 months

I thought the ribbons were a pain in the butt on the first set. Liked how they cutout a slot to slide them up with a finger. Ribbon was good so you don't bend the prints on the second box...
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

As I listen to #2229 here in Mass. I have to Marvel at how Brent Mydland played and the justice that is done by the mix of this Box Set, to him. He simply is amazing on this set..the hot hand indeed. I even balanced the stereo far right just to hear more of him. His Hammond sounds beefy,and right in your face, even nuanced. What a player, they should have kissed his ass for being in the band. Overall this is the best box I have and I own most. Please do more like theis...AMEN
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 5 months

I have to put my 2 cents in as I have been reading this forum for a month and could not agree more with what people are saying. I am more of a 70s fan but my first show was not until Buckeye Lake on 6/25/88. This box set speaks to me as this is the Grateful Dead I saw in concert. It brought tears to my eyes listening to these shows. Damn how I miss seeing these guys! These were some of the best times in my life, hands down. This box sounds amazing and I echo what others have said, Brent is the man! The rest of the guys are in fine form as well, to say the least. What a sound. Please keep them coming.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 3 months

I am in utter awe of this box set. Not only is it from one of my top 3 favorite tours (spring 77 and E72 being my other 2 faves), the sound is truly unparalleled in the embarrassment of riches of releases that we've enjoyed. I've only been through the first show, and despite what I'd normally chalk up as a pretty pedestrian set list, I'm FLOORED! I picked up moments that would normally be passed over with only mild interest - Brent oozing blues with his perfect Hammond/voice scatting on Never Trust a Woman. You can feel Brent's spit coming through the speakers - Phil's astonishing Bass lines in Crazy Fingers is among the best documents of his abilities I've heard - Jerry's poignancy in both Black Peter and Black Muddy River, heartfelt and heartbreaking - the interplay during the Jam... The mix is so damn IMMEDIATE and accessible, it makes the listening of the music a much more emotional experience for me. I feel like I'm on the stage with them, watching their eyes and intuiting their non-verbal communications. Really a whole new way to listen to the band. Anyone else having such a profound listening epiphany? That being said, I'm a greedy (but grateful) completist and having predicted this release on these boards a while back, I'm wondering if anyone else feels like spring '77 (or at least May '77) is next in line for the "fill in the gaps" box set treatment. I have this sneaky suspicion that TPTB finally negotiated for the missing Betty Boards, including Barton Hall, and will give them their due in 2015. After all, they need to dazzle us with something stunning for the 50th anniversary, and they're running out of high demand classics that all the masses want. Sure, they will continue to release surprising one off gems that none of us have heard before as DaP's, but really, what other tour is left that would command such attention... and sales? If they want to complete the May shows, that would be 9 full shows to release, which is pretty much in line with recent box sets. If they want to complete the spring tour (and wouldn't we all love it), it would be 15 more shows to release. So, if I were a Vegas odds-maker, I'd say the next box set will be the remaining 9 shows from May '77. It's within reach and it's high time. That would be 5/1-4 Palladium, 5/5 - New Haven, 5/7 - Boston, 5/8 - Barton f'in Hall, 5/9 - Buffalo, 5/18 Atlanta and 5/26 - Baltimore. In the meantime, bring on something REALLY rare for DaP 12, like from 79-81. Spring '77 4/22 - philly 4/23 - springfield 4/25 - passaic 4/26 - passaic 4/27 - passaic 4/29 - palladium - 3 songs, download series 1 4/30 - palladium - whole show, download series 1 5/1 - palladium 5/3 - palladium 5/4 - palladium 5/5 - new haven 5/7 - boston 5/8 - barton 5/9 - buffalo 5/11 - st. paul - '77 box set 5/12 - chicago - '77 box set 5/13 - chicago - '77 box set 5/15 - st. louis - '77 box set 5/17 - tuscaloosa - '77 box set 5/18 - atlanta 5/19 - atlanta - dp 29 5/21 - lakeland - dp 29 5/22 - pembroke - dp 3 5/25 - richmond - DaP 1 5/26 - baltimore 5/28 - hartford - To Terrapin
user picture

Member for

15 years 3 months

speaking of 77, I'd like them to put out the Swing Auditorium 2/26 show... Terrapin Station - First Play and starts the show - people in the crowd must have been blown away... Wonder what the people at the show called Estimated Prophet as they were writing down the set list - "California"???
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

...on this set sounds amazing. I can't think of enough adjectives to describe the sound, so I'll just stick with "sexy". Possibly the best Organ sound mix I've ever heard on any recording by any band, and I've heard many for many years. Dialed in perfectly. Just amazing!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 10 months

I see, the CD cases are meant to be experienced fully opened, so it reads that way. The box is perfect. I suppose they broke up the setlists to different panels in the cases to accommodate the "hand-writing" size. It's just that every time I want to read the setlist on a case, I get faked out by reading only set two first on the back, which is taxing.
user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

Good call / prediction on 50th anniversary. Nice list. I checked DP 3, because I knew there was something missing. That 'something' is: El Paso Peggy-O New Minglewood blues FotD Ramble on Rose BE Woman Good lovin' Sugar Magnolia There's a bonus disc for you, and the same problem as with 3/24/90...
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 10 months

So the band releases a 24-year old, 8 show box set that is mixed impeccably and sounds better than anything that could be recorded today, by any band, and, well to paraphrase Allen Iverson we're talking ribbons? Ribbons? We talkin Ribbons?? Ribbons?? Ribbons??!?!? Not even the shows, but Ribbons?!?!?! An odd lot are we Deadheads. And I love it!
user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

...its been said that putting together the first spring 90' box, dozin, and without a net the entire 3/24 show has been released with OMSN from whithout a net and Desolation row from Postcards of the Hanging. What about Walkin Blues? was the version on Without a net taken from 3/24 too? Thanks all. lovin the box. I had to take a 90's break and im listing to Dave's 11 again, its good to be a HEAD!
user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

Meh. Lots of DP shows were missing tunes. DP3 of 5/22/77 is really one of the least troubling examples -- that would be a mighty big disappointment to me as a bonus disc: no songs with any real jamming to them at all. We already got the cream from that show, without any question. The very first pick, 12/18/73 is missing much more material, but even a dyed-in-the-wool Fall-73-o-phile such as me would think that there are many, MANY, better things to do than revisit that pick to get the missing pieces, which are mostly first-set material that honestly differed quite little from one performance to another in that era. I really hope Barton Hall (and Buffalo, which is astounding in its own right) can get official release. It did almost sound as though something was cooking on those Bettys, sub rosa, so it would be great to get them for the band anniversary. My fingers are definitely crossed for luck. But at the risk of heresy, aren't we getting our fill of Spring '77 yet??? The fall of that year is relatively neglected in comparison -- in spite of gems like Colgate U. that just beg for release. And then there's everything that isn't 1977, too...
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 10 months

On second thought, no, they reduced the handwriting size for under the CD's and on them, so they were not adhering to "real-life" size standards for the CD cases. They really could have done something a little extra visually on one full panel that would have also taken care of the out-of-order setlist reading problem I have had. This is minus points in my book, but that does not mean it is no longer the best box set the GD have released.
user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

We have one report so far of a "Miracle" coin - any others? Also, I'm wondering if the little cardboard square covering the coin has variations. Mine has a jewelled (and diced) crown with "The Golden Road To Unlimited Devotion" inscription. Any different ones?
user picture

Member for

15 years 3 months

I have the same cardboard message. The cover is very heavy - was wondering if there was hidden secret... I tried the dice on the cover, but all the rolls were random, so my thought that the cover would show the dice were loaded was wrong. Musically this release is awesome.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 7 months

The music is awesome and the box is great, but I have no coin. Anyone else missing a coin? I'm assuming it would be under the crown tab in the cover.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....back in the day, I had a great source of tapes from a brother who has since passed on. (RIP Tom). There was a cool little clique of heads at UNLV back then, and good quality tapes abounded. This was before the Sam Boyd shows arrived. Anyway, 3/28 was a show that we all treasured. I remember playing that in my deck over and over. Especially the pre-drumz. That show got somewhat lost in my gray matter over time. But, now, in my relishing of the box, it rears it's majestic head. In all it's 24-track glory nonetheless. Bravo!! Atlanta is around the corner. Of all the Spring 90 shows, I never had any of the Omni. They look great on paper. I'm sure I won't be disappointed. Grate, grate box. As far as the coin, mine was there, has a tiger on one side, and the Golden Road quote w/ crown is on my cardboard flap as well... edit....The Atlanta Falcons are whipping Tampa Bay tonight. Ergo, bring on some ass-kicking Omni....
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

The 3/24 set can be cobbled together in the following order and from the indicated sources: Disc 1 1)Let The Good Times Roll -Spring 1990 2)Help on The Way -Spring 1990 3)Slipknot -Spring 1990 4)Franklin's Tower -Spring 1990 5)Walkin' Blues -Dozin' At The Knick 6)Loser -Spring 1990 7)Desolation Row -Postcards Of The Hanging 8)Tennessee Jed -Spring 1990 9)One More Saturday Night -Without A Net Disc 2 1)Playin' In The Band -Dozin' At The Knick 2)Uncle John's Band -Dozin' At The Knick 3)Lady With A Fan -Dozin' At The Knick 4)Terrapin Station -Dozin' At The Knick 5)Mud Love Buddy Jam -Dozin' At The Knick 6)Drums -Dozin' At The Knick 7)Space -Dozin' At The Knick Disc 3 1)Space -Dozin' At The Knick 2)The Wheel -Dozin' At The Knick 3)All Along The Watchtower -Dozin' At The Knick 4)Stella Blue -Dozin' At The Knick 5)Not Fade Away -Dozin' At The Knick 6)And We Bid You Goodnight -Dozin' At The Knick I put the first disc together with a little bit of editing, fading in and out, and volume adjustment. I also appended Bobby's "We'll be back in a little bit," from one of the Spring 1990 [The Other One] sets after One More Saturday Night, since the track from Without A Net ends rather abruptly. The disc flows together pretty good. The second and third discs can be directly copied from Dozin' At The Knick.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

...when I was first getting into the Dead, I saw a lot of Nassau tapes. The only Nassau I knew back then was the capital of the Bahamas. I thought to myself, "man, they sure like playing that little island a lot". Seriously....I did....
product sku