• 1,689 replies
    admin
    jq171(document).ready(function (jq171) { var covertArtDownloadMarkup = 'Looking for the digital cover art? You can download it here.'; setTimeout(function() { jq171('#digital_cart').append(covertArtDownloadMarkup); }, 500); });

What's Inside:
    •144-page paperback book with essays by Nicholas G. Meriwether and Blair Jackson
    •A portfolio with three art prints by Jessica Dessner
    • Replica ticket stubs and backstage passes for all eight shows
    •8 complete shows on 23 discs
          •3/14/90 Capital Centre, Landover, MD
          •3/18/90 Civic Center, Hartford, CT
          •3/21/90 Copps Coliseum, Hamilton, Ontario
          •3/25/90 Knickerbocker Arena, Albany, NY
          •3/28/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY
          •3/29/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY (featuring Branford Marsalis)
          •4/1/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA
          •4/3/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA
    Recorded by long-time Grateful Dead audio engineer John Cutler
    Mixed from the master 24-track analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios
    Mastered to HDCD specs by David Glasser
    Original Art by Jessica Dessner
    Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 9,000

Announcing Spring 1990 (The Other One)

"If every concert tells a tale, then every tour writes an epic. Spring 1990 felt that way: an epic with more than its share of genius and drama, brilliance and tension. And that is why the rest of the music of that tour deserves this release, why the rest of those stories need to be heard." - Nicholas G. Meriwether

Some consider Spring 1990 the last great Grateful Dead tour. That it may be. In spite of outside difficulties and downsides, nothing could deter the Grateful Dead from crafting lightness from darkness. They were overwhelmingly triumphant in doing what they came to do, what they did best — forging powerful explorations in music. Yes, it was the music that would propel their legacy further, young fans joining the ranks with veteran Dead Heads, Jerry wondering "where do they keep coming from?" — a sentiment that still rings true today, a sentiment that offers up another opportunity for an exceptional release from a tour that serves as transcendental chapter in the Grateful Dead masterpiece.

With Spring 1990 (The Other One), you'll have the chance to explore another eight complete shows from this chapter, the band elevating their game to deliver inspired performances of concert staples (“Tennessee Jed” and “Sugar Magnolia”), exceptional covers (Dylan’s “When I Paint My Masterpiece” and the band’s last performance of the Beatles’ “Revolution”) and rare gems (the first “Loose Lucy” in 16 years) as well as many songs from Built To Last, which had been released the previous fall and would become the Dead’s final studio album. Also among the eight is one of the most sought-after shows in the Dead canon: the March, 29, 1990 show at Nassau Coliseum, where Grammy®-winning saxophonist Branford Marsalis sat in with the group. The entire second set is one continuous highlight, especially the breathtaking version of “Dark Star.”

For those of you who are keeping track, this release also marks a significant milestone as now, across the two Spring 1990 boxed sets, Dozin At The Knick, and Terrapin Limited, the entire spring tour of 1990 has been officially released, making it only the second Grateful Dead tour, after Europe 1972, to have that honor.

Now shipping, you'll want to order your copy soon as these beautiful boxes are going, going, gone...

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • protondecay123
    Default Avatar
    To Fully reconstruct the show from 3/24/1990 at the Knick, you would need to buy " Without A Net " for the One More Saturday Night that closed the 1st Set, Postcards of the Hanging to get the Desolation Row that followed Loser in the 1st set, Dozin' at the Knick for Walking Blues in the 1st set and all of the 2nd set, and Spring 1990 (The Other One) to get the other songs from the 1st set. That show got hacked to pieces.
  • eyes43
    Does anyone have any definitive information on what exactly this is? Heres a link to the ebay item, it has sold, so if you click on this link and you are on a computer or phone, you will need to click on the item to see the original listing. Then you can see the photos, and the numbered coin, which instead of havings its own number, it says, "miracle"? Im thinking this might be what they decided to do with promo copies, instead of leaving it blank, or stamping it "promo" like the FW69 boxset. The Dave's Picks series, all have blank promo copies. (Would be very interesting to know how many promos they make for each of these limited edition items!!) Ok, heres the link:http://m.ebay.com/itm/Grateful-Dead-Spring-1990-The-Other-One-Box-Set-M… If you have the ebay app, you can also just enter this number in the search box, and it will bring you to the same item. Again, it has already sold, so you will need to click on it, to open the original listing. That item number is: 162549487635 Id really like to know what the miracle means on the numbered coins...it makes sense that it would be a promo, that they sent out to reviewers and whomever else is lucky enough to get all this stuff, we all do everything we can to afford, for free! And instead of stamping promo, or leaving blank, they stamped miracle, as in here is your miracle (free) 1990 spring TOO boxset!!! Must be nice!!! Still, though, would like to know for sure! Thanks.
  • company
    Default Avatar
    I'd check for you but I didn't order this box. Hopefully someone who did will be kind enough to take 5 mins to get you some confirmation so you don't think you're going nuts! beet juice
  • antonjo
    purplekush, I know this is a year after your post, but just for the record, gotta call b/s on your song-length observations: "7 minute Halfstep" ~ yeah, that's short, but so is 12/19/73 (7:29) "8 minute playin's" ~ 8:56 (7/1/78), meanwhile 10:27 (3/14/90), 11:40 (4/3/90) "17 minutes for a Help On The Way>Slipknot>Franklins Tower TOTAL" ~ 14:50 (8/13/75) "8 or 9 minute China-Cat>Rider has no time to even find a groove" ~ 13:17 (3/15/90), 11:09 (3/26/90), 10:24 (4/01/90), 11:05 (9/19/90) No 8 or 9-minute versions I could find on any of my '90 releases. "a 19 minute Scarlet-fire it's over before it starts" ~ really? I guess these are, too? : 19:33 (10/16/77), 18:01 (11/2/77), 18:16 (5/11/78), 19:55 (7/3/78), 18:28 (7/7/78) 3/16/90's Scarlet > Estimated is 22:25. Incidentally, 11/4/77's Other One = 4:25, and 7/5/78's Truckin' = 7:29. They're both pretty hot, though. Morals of the story ~ some older years boast just as short or shorter lengths as '90; not all '90 lengths are as short as you claimed; and most importantly, song lengths alone do not tell the tale on performance heat. I do share your wish for one of the Fall '73 shows with horns!
  • simonrob
    The problem with posting when a release finally sells out is that it inevitably becomes available again a day or two later. Won't make that mistake again. Stranger than fiction.
  • Fogle
    Pulled the trigger just in time this afternoon... Mickey's damn Beam told me, turns out it was the right call. Feels all the more special that it came so close. I'll be returning home to this precious package after nearly 4 months across the pond in a week plus. Perhaps my first post on deadland? I've been reading each and every release comment that you crazies have drummed up for years now. Maybe I'll be back! Nice place to be. Dave, dead.net, all involved in this community, thanks a ton!
  • simonrob
    Finally gone. That will make the folks at Rhino happy. Took a long time for one reason or another. Too soon after the first one? Simultaneous downloads available? 9000 was too many?
  • chr1skol1
    Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees! On yesterday I have got my Spring Box (The Other One). Thanks a lot guys that you have bring to us this exciting and beautiful box!
  • fahrenheit451
    Default Avatar
    Been waiting for what seems like forever for this thing to sell out.
  • DaveandDeeds
    Just wanted to throw this out there, I too was frustrated with iTunes metadata, however I believe this is from lazy and inaccurate individuals who load their poorly labeled discs to Gracenote or whatever, and then the options are usually wrong for the rest of us. This all started for me when I decided to import the E72 box. Nightmare!! My advice is, pick the option that "looks" the most accurate, but DO NOT import it as such. Instead, choose NOT to import, fix the mistakes first, then import away. Sorry for a three moth old reply, but we are all in this together. (~}:-
user picture

Member for

17 years 1 month
jq171(document).ready(function (jq171) { var covertArtDownloadMarkup = 'Looking for the digital cover art? You can download it here.'; setTimeout(function() { jq171('#digital_cart').append(covertArtDownloadMarkup); }, 500); });

What's Inside:
•144-page paperback book with essays by Nicholas G. Meriwether and Blair Jackson
•A portfolio with three art prints by Jessica Dessner
• Replica ticket stubs and backstage passes for all eight shows
•8 complete shows on 23 discs
      •3/14/90 Capital Centre, Landover, MD
      •3/18/90 Civic Center, Hartford, CT
      •3/21/90 Copps Coliseum, Hamilton, Ontario
      •3/25/90 Knickerbocker Arena, Albany, NY
      •3/28/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY
      •3/29/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY (featuring Branford Marsalis)
      •4/1/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA
      •4/3/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA
Recorded by long-time Grateful Dead audio engineer John Cutler
Mixed from the master 24-track analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios
Mastered to HDCD specs by David Glasser
Original Art by Jessica Dessner
Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 9,000

Announcing Spring 1990 (The Other One)

"If every concert tells a tale, then every tour writes an epic. Spring 1990 felt that way: an epic with more than its share of genius and drama, brilliance and tension. And that is why the rest of the music of that tour deserves this release, why the rest of those stories need to be heard." - Nicholas G. Meriwether

Some consider Spring 1990 the last great Grateful Dead tour. That it may be. In spite of outside difficulties and downsides, nothing could deter the Grateful Dead from crafting lightness from darkness. They were overwhelmingly triumphant in doing what they came to do, what they did best — forging powerful explorations in music. Yes, it was the music that would propel their legacy further, young fans joining the ranks with veteran Dead Heads, Jerry wondering "where do they keep coming from?" — a sentiment that still rings true today, a sentiment that offers up another opportunity for an exceptional release from a tour that serves as transcendental chapter in the Grateful Dead masterpiece.

With Spring 1990 (The Other One), you'll have the chance to explore another eight complete shows from this chapter, the band elevating their game to deliver inspired performances of concert staples (“Tennessee Jed” and “Sugar Magnolia”), exceptional covers (Dylan’s “When I Paint My Masterpiece” and the band’s last performance of the Beatles’ “Revolution”) and rare gems (the first “Loose Lucy” in 16 years) as well as many songs from Built To Last, which had been released the previous fall and would become the Dead’s final studio album. Also among the eight is one of the most sought-after shows in the Dead canon: the March, 29, 1990 show at Nassau Coliseum, where Grammy®-winning saxophonist Branford Marsalis sat in with the group. The entire second set is one continuous highlight, especially the breathtaking version of “Dark Star.”

For those of you who are keeping track, this release also marks a significant milestone as now, across the two Spring 1990 boxed sets, Dozin At The Knick, and Terrapin Limited, the entire spring tour of 1990 has been officially released, making it only the second Grateful Dead tour, after Europe 1972, to have that honor.

Now shipping, you'll want to order your copy soon as these beautiful boxes are going, going, gone...

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

I stopped attending Grateful Dead concerts in 1986 after some disappointing shows. My collection of Dead recordings focuses on the pre-Brent period, particularly '69 to '73. I bought the first 1990 box and enjoyed it, with its in-the-audience sound perspective, sometimes muddy vocals, and other audio problems, but I didn't love it. When this batch came along, I could not resist buying the Branford show. HOLY MOLY! Aside from Branford Marsalis's performance, the fantastic sound quality and terrific performances by the Dead, themselves, simply blew me away. Had to download the rest. I've been listening to it (still a long way to go) ever since. All the polish of '77 and then some, with most of the youthful energy of prior decades. The psychedelia of the early days comes through from time to time, as well. I'm having a hell of a good time with this. Thanks to all involved. (Re: the great Branford debate: I've been a jazz fan for quite a while, and a fan of Branford Marsalis's ever since I saw him and his younger brother perform as members of Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers in about 1980. I think it's important to understand the pushback he was getting for performing with rock groups, particularly Sting, and for forming his own funk/jazz group in the '80s. Jazz purists just hate it when one of their own finds success as a crossover. Branford had to defend himself in every interview with the jazz press and assure them that he was not abandoning jazz. Typically, he would tell them politely that they had their heads up their butts, rock music is fun for him, and artists like the Grateful Dead were a little different from Madonna in terms of complexity and artistic merit. Let's not get carried away by a phrase or two that he's uttered over the years.)
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

So far I've made it through the first 5 shows of this set beginning with Cap Center through the first Nassau show and am utterly blown away. Every show so far is a highlight unto themselves. Even without the Branford show and the two Omni stops, a run I attended, this would have been a satisfying box set. '87 - 'Summer '90 was truly a magical period for the Dead. Seeing as how they recorded most if not all of the shows from Summer '89 through Spring '90, there is enough quality material on par with this box left to release another 4 or 5 box sets from this peak era. So far I've resisted listening to the Branford show and the two Omni shows, both of which I attended in order to put myself into a more spiritual space. I was familiar with much of this tour with a few exceptions (Hartford and the first night in Nassau), and this listening experience reaffirms my view that this was a time when the Dead went beyond being mere musicians to superhero status. What can I possibly say about Brent that already hasn't said? THIS is the tour that you play to turn people onto the Dead. A few bars of Loose Lucy from 3/14/90 should do the trick! I have to thank everybody involved with the production of this set and congratulate for an exemplary job all around, but most of all, I have to thank everybody whose patience with my sometimes blunt commentary who showed such an amazing level of generosity when I hardly deserved it. Thank you!
user picture

Member for

15 years

Hello Everyone, I don't want to hijack the thread, but I wanted to let you know that I ordered a few single discs from Dead.net last week after receiving the box set. I guess when it rains, it pours. Anyway, I ordered the Fall 1977 Road Trips and, lo and behold, it had the bonus disc in it. I had heard about that there were some bonus discs floating around on some of the old Road Trips. Well, the 77 bonus was in my set. I was kind of hoping for this to be honest with you. They must be at the bottom of the barrel, so I'm guessing the inventory is running low. I also ordered the MSG '90 set, sadly no bonus disc there. The bonus disc I really wanted was from that MSG set and From Egypt with Love. Anyway, just thought I'd let you know.
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

Fall 77 came with bonus disc, I got in the spring of 2014. I got MSG 90 last week and sadly, no bonus. I have ordered a few others since the Spring time, just hoping it would have showed up with bonus. And the only one was Fall 77'. For some odd reason I have a gut feeling the Valentines 68' show is being sent out with Bonus as well. But I don't have any proof. I already own that 68' set but it looks like a lot of sealed RT from Fall 77 and Feb. 68 showed up on eBay around the same time with bonus included.
user picture

Member for

15 years 4 months

Well as many folks have expressed, this box set is amazing. I got it on the 15th, and have only been through three shows so far. Quite possibly the BEST sounding live Grateful Dead recordings, ever.....and that says a lot. You actually feel like you're in the front row when you listen to them. I am totally enjoying these shows, and taking my time. :). Hope everyone is too. :)
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I am listening to the whole (released) tour in order and am up to Copps 3-21. It seems the Audience presence is greater on this show more so than the ones leading up to it. Maybe it's just my imagination. The other things I'm hearing is more separation on TOO than the first box and a more prominent Phil on TOO as well. Still can't figure out exactly why they would not have taken the opportunity to mix the first box right when they had the tapes. Bobby is going with the effeminate squealing on Estimated, and it makes cameos elsewhere which may not be for everyone. I like how the Victim gets way out there in the first set and into Standing on the Moon is sweet. Crazy Fingers>Cumberland is just Great. Brent is the MVP for me so far (China Doll 3-19, high harmonies on Loose Lucy 3-14 and 3-21), but really the whole band is cranking on all cylinders.
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

That's a great point steve73, about the pushback Branford got from the jazz community about playing with the Dead. I knew a jazz musician years ago: he loved Branford but thought his playing with the Dead was a "sell out". I suppose he was also trying to "get my goat" a little bit.
user picture

Member for

10 years 6 months

I wonder how much "pushback" he got from the jazz community as the bandleader for "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno"? On these performances, Branford seems to me almost a little lost at times just keeping up with the band, trying to get a note in wherever he could that would fit. All good though! Wish I had been there.
user picture

Member for

14 years 11 months

This is an incredible box set, "Eyes Of The World" sounds better than ever , Garcia plays as freely as ever. Marsalis seems at ease "playing in the band" WOW 54 3de
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

I purchased a Road Trips 2.2, Carousel 2-14-68, and it had the bonus disc in with the other two discs, not in a separate jacket.
user picture

Member for

16 years 2 months

I dug out my collection of his CDs and am revisiting them. "Bloomington" and "random Abstract" are terrific.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 8 months

I've finally completed my run through the new box. The sound is perfect. Definitely the best sounding GD release yet, although Go To Nassau and Nightfall of Diamonds also sound amazing and crystal-clear. The box is beautiful as well. Not as cool as a steamer trunk, but definitely well-done. As for the performances, I think I've stated before that I prefer the shows on the first set to all except the 3/29/90 show. I have to revise my original statement slightly. The 4/1/90 show is a revelation. Although I've heard it before, I definitely had not heard it like this. To Lay Me Down and TMNS to end the first set is fantastic, and the entire 2nd set just smokes. I don't think I can write anything new about 3/29. While the Jack Straw - Bertha opener is a bit lackluster for the time period, once Branford steps in, the band elevates its game to the highest level. Fantastic second set (although Branford seems to disappear on The Wheel). As for the other shows, they're fine. I enjoyed 4/3 more than I thought I would, and the second set to 3/25 as well. Still would take the first box performance-wise, but with the improved SQ, you can't go wrong here either. Next box? Dave has said several times that the tours he felt merited full release were Europe '72, Spring '90, May '77, and Fall '73. Unless the rest of those May '77 shows come home to the Vault, we're looking at a MASSIVE peak Dead set in 2015.
user picture

Member for

13 years 9 months

...that given the almost universal praise that this box has gotten, that the last 1500 sets haven't sold out. It seems that the "1500 left" banner was raised around the time when the first boxes were hitting the streets, er, mailboxes. Usually that moves the fence sitters off the fence and into the poor house, LOL.
user picture

Member for

12 years 5 months

...just finished digesting 3/28. Great show,great first set(as usual). New Minglewood,Queen Jane,Loose Lucy are great and I'll tell you, thats one of the best versions of "Cassidy" I've ever heard! It really rocks! Its a great show until the encore when they absolutely butcher "Revolution". I love ya Jer but that was not a fine moment. Taking a little "Dead Break" with some Jimi Hendrix(Cry of Love) and some George Harrison(Living In The Material World) and also the hi-light CD of CSNY 74. After purchasing this set corners had to be cut somewhere. Then it will be off to 3/29!!...Take care folks!!!!
user picture

Member for

11 years 11 months

3.24.90 Set:1 multi track remastered...~it all fits on one disc~ just that alone woulda had this sold out long ago... just a thought, as i'm listening to Brent SHRED through his solo during Sugaree from 4.3.90... oh well, maybe/hopefully they'll just do it... THIS BOX SET IS EPIC!!!!! SOUNDS EPIC!!!!!!! but we, all agree we NEED 3.24.90 Set:1 sounding like this... period... this woulda been thee perfect time to rectify that... just sayin... ♤ ps... 3.14.90... oooooooooooh man... whatta way to start a tour... ...a crazy, crazy tour!!!
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....4/1 was a revelation for me also. Awesome, awesome show...the first set is top notch Dead....
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

However GarciaLive Volume 5, 12/31/75, finally available for preorder at jerrygarcia.com. The t-shirt is cool. Already ordered the CD/T-shirt bundle shipping date is approx. 10/17/14. I've been waiting for the "official" announcement since August 25th. This show ROCKS, HAPPY WEDNESDAY, DEADLAND!!!!!!
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

A couple of folks have suggested a box set with one show from every year. Even if that is ONLY 100 discs, @ $10 per disc, that is $1,000. Count me out on that one!Rock on
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 8 months

I agree with all the praise of this box set so far! Just magnificent. I'm making my way show by show in order. I had read or heard I think on a DL Seaside chat about the Drums>Space being particularly strong during this tour and I agree. The 3/25 Drums is beautiful, very meditative. My only gripe with anything regarding the box - and it's a minor one - is that the 3/25 drums I mentioned gets cut at the end of disc 2 and of course continues on disc 3. Naturally there always has to be a cutover, but Bill and Mickey were in the middle of a beautiful groove at the cut that lasts for about another 35 seconds on disc 3 before there's a clear segue to Space as Jerry comes in. Would've loved to have that groove all on one "track" for disc-changer and for iPod shuffle purposes (and I don't think the issue was disc 2 space, the music was under an hour)...oh well, told you it was a minor gripe.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 7 months

Received last week my box 3657 in France. Great job !I'm very glad to listen this wonderful shows.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 8 months

Is there a website that has the proper timings for seamlessly joining GD tracks once you upload them to iTunes? A rather specific request, I know, but some epic sequences need to be joined (looking at you, Dick's Picks 4 and Dick's Picks 16).
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....the cool thing about 1990 space was, they all lasted anywhere from 8-12 minutes, and if you listen closely, at about halfway through every one, they tease the song that will be coming out of it. Every time......you just need to listen closely......
user picture

Member for

13 years 9 months

Is there a website that has the proper timings for seamlessly joining GD tracks once you upload them to iTunes? A rather specific request, I know, but some epic sequences need to be joined (looking at you, Dick's Picks 4 and Dick's Picks 16). That would be especially helpful on the TOO box between the end of disc 2 drums and the beginning of disc 3 space.
user picture

Member for

10 years 6 months

I bought from dead net Road Trips Vol. 1 #1, Vol. 1 #2 and Vol. 2 #2, and all three had the bonus CDs! I don't understand the bonus CD concept anyway. You make a limited number of CD sets with a bonus CD, those sell out, then you have the leftovers that don't sell as fast. Why not make 'em all that way, with the extras? They're already tooled up to crank out the CDs and print the covers. ???????????
user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

I'm enjoying this box so very much..haven't had a lot of time to really get into it..but have had a fair share of listening moments. So nice to have a couple of days off from work finally to dive Into this big ole box! Thanks for making this happen! On the posts about bonus discs coming with road trips..I ordered both winterland boxes over the past year and received the bonus disc with both boxes. Just a thought..wish my random road trips would have come with them also, oh well!
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

I saw on another thread that there may have been some pitch correction done on the 3/29 show. Does anyone have any info on this? I guess its on Bob's vocals during eyes? I hope thats not true - if it is can the TPTB just leave us alone with all this commercial garbage- we want the whole shows, no alteration, no gimmicks, just good ol grateful dead- the way it happened. end rant. On a lighter side- anyone else keep a notebook on the shows in their collection or the ones they have heard? I was thinking of starting one with this tour and the E72 and then going into the whole collection and wonder if anyone else does that now and if they have any cool systems for recording their thoughts. Reading about Dick L really inspired me to get my own notes going for constructive listening and being able to pin point what I want to hear in my collection at a certain time.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....but I do know awesome sound....Spring TOO is an example of the finest mixing and production of a live recording I have ever heard.....simply jaw dropping. Best $ ever spent.....I'm sure you all feel the same....if you want to turn someone onto the Dead, play this box of this tour...universal if you ask me. p.s. I may be biased a bit...Play Dead!!
user picture

Member for

13 years 9 months

Isn't pitch correction meant to fix problems caused by the recording process (speed of recording is off) rather than fix problems caused by the performances (forgetting words, guitar out of tune, missed note, etc.)? I don't see why someone would object to a recording error being fixed.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Sorry for the drama, but I think this is important- From what the person said in the wake up to find out thread - Bob's EOTW vocals during the chorus were originally out of tune, but in this release it has been corrected. So its the pitch of the vocal - but maybe auto tune is a better way to say it. This box is awesome no doubt about it - but after what I heard about the Going Down the Road song incident in the '77 box, this seems believable (also heard some magic was done on the E72 box)…. Anyway I just hope that those who make these releases do not confuse trying to get something sonically right with changing the performance. I for one like a performance to be released with warts and all - performance wise. If there are wrong notes, bad vocals thats fine and if pieces of a performance missing I would prefer just supplemented with an AUD recording, etc...
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

To get all three bonus discs. I got one with Fall 77. I had a feeling more were floating around. I ordered Fall 79 next and no Bonus. I had Feb. 68 (no bonus) before they started to restock ( or discovered more in the warehouse). I did notice at one time those 3 volumes went out of stock and then came back a week or so later. So they may have found more in the warehouse or printed more by mistake with bonus included. I'm not sure if they have more than one warehouse. It may be where you live also that will depend on getting a bonus in one of these. If there is more than one warehouse. I live in Ohio and my packages all seem to originate in Hebron, KY when I order from dead.net. And with limited edition releases. My number is usually always in the middle of the run. A few weeks back I ordered MSG 90 and the package got lost. Dead.net replaced the order, but I still wonder if that MSG 90 that was lost had bonus disc included. The one I got did not have
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

Sorry for the double post
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

I really can't believe this box set has not sold out yet I mean this is the best music that has ever been released if you have not purchased this box you must you will not be disappointed
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

I really can't believe this box set has not sold out yet I mean this is the best music that has ever been released if you have not purchased this box you must you will not be disappointed
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 7 months

What is the OP's evidence that this was done? As I recall reading, the OP says something like (I'm paraphrasing): I heard an AUD of this show a long time ago and, if memory serves, Bob was out of tune. Ok, sure: Bob is occasionally off-key. I doubt anyone would deny that. Is there a link to the AUD in question on the archive? Has anyone compared that AUD to the new release? What about to the prior Without a Net release. I understand the OP says this is where all the pitch correcting started. Is there some published source where pitch correcting is acknowledged? This seems kind of like bullshit to me.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 7 months

Just listened to one of the AUDs on archive.org. I'm no Randy Jackson, but Bob didn't sound particularly pitchy to me on Eyes. Maybe there is a vast conspiracy where Bob's vocals have been corrected on the AUDs as well?
user picture

Member for

12 years 6 months

Does anyone know if the sound quality of HD FLAC is better, equal or worse than HDCD?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 7 months

Pitch correction is necessary when the machine recording the tape, or one along the chain of a vine - is moving at too slow or too fast a speed. So guys like Charlie miller and Hseamons have to either slow down or speed it up. But all the tracks have the problem. So if you were trying to play along on your guitar. It would sound like they were playing eyes in the key of f instead of e, and it would sound faster. Rev it up another half step and they start sounding chipmunk like.So you slow the tape down until what you know is an e chord sounds like an e. Unless Bob was singing the whole thing a half step off ) which is pretty much impossible to do, heaybe just hit a few bum notes) pitch correction would not solve your problem, he'd have to go into the studio and redo the part. And I think some of the vox on the original Europe 72 release they did that. But not here.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Sorry for the confusion- Yes I agree pitch or speed of tape should be corrected when necessary (wish that was done with the RT from Cornell). I'd like them to keep the off note parts to maintain the integrity of the recording. I'm sure there is so much technology that could make lots of changes, but I think that works against the whole concept of live recording. I realize mostly all bands that officially release live recordings do some doctoring - even the original Europe 72 is famous for the re recording of vocals and organ - I guess I was just hoping to have just a mastered version of the original live recording without any changes.
user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

Yeah jpreston, I agree, this is an awesome box. The sound is outstanding. Peak 90's Dead.I'm musically in fantasy dead heaven.
user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

mpace--The past year or so I've been trying to keep notes every time I listen to a CD, GD or no. I have so much music, and to hone in on the best of it, I'm feeling like I need to be more critical. So for things like Van Morrison's Astral Weeks and Moondance, I don't take notes, because those are classics--everything is fantastic. But I give grades for the songs on his next three or four CDs, and keep the notes in the CD cases, so that the next time I pop in those discs, I can program the player to play only the really good tracks. Same thing with Dead shows--I'm trying to be diligent about grading the songs on the non-perfect shows, so that I can listen to the best of the best. I'm one of those folks who wishes that most Dead releases were thoughtful compilations, as I would rather have the best three hours from a three-show run than have one complete show from that run. With my notes, I can skip a bunch of mediocre performances from a release, which gives me more time to hit the high points of another release. The Road Trips series had the right idea, IMHO, but they jumbled things a bit too much and turned the tide against compilations.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Good point about the Road Trips. My pet theory about what happened with that series is that, uncharacteristically, the first release had a lot of issues which set a negative tone for the series (even though later releases addressed the issues) 1. The packaging was not good at first. The first release (Fall 79) had rough, unpleasant cardboard which can scratch discs. It was too tall and narrow. The graphics were, IMO, flat out ugly. BUT, by the last year they had totally fixed these issues - the covers of most of the Road Trips were spectacular, they shortened them and made the spines wider, allowing for easier insertion / removal of discs, and a more flush appearance on the shelf (to collectors like us, that is not a minor point). 2. Sound quality on the first release was not pleasing to the ears, harsh, too bright, seemed overly loud (like something mixed for MP3) and was apparently not pitch-corrected. This was also addressed on later releases. 3. I agree with Deadheadbrewer that the compilation idea was a good one. I've always said I like good compilation releases AND good full show releases - I don't know why a series has to be one or the other. But the first compilations seemed more scattered than something like, say DP18. All of this set a tone which, unfortunately, led to the abandonment of the idea. Too bad. I would be fine if DaPs were compilations once and awhile. So for example, if that's what it takes to get something released from 84, then bring it on...
user picture

Member for

16 years

Has remastering specifications re the newly available HD FLAC files for Spring 1990/ Spring 1990 TOO been published? The "more info" link is simply an FAQ; absent anything relevant to the file mastering. Note that the "Wake Up to Find Out (3/29/90)" digital files via dead.net are also missing the bit-depth/sample rate specs. The latter is available in both 24/96 and 24/192 downloads at HD Tracks. Will purchases made through dead.net provide the same options? As there is only one price for the download via dead.net, it's doubtful. Clicking through the ordering process does not reveal any more information and would be quite a financial gamble if you're hoping for a specific resolution. Can any one shed light on this?
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Don't know for sure about this second box, but I downloaded the first and it's 24/88.2.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

Are you saying they made the first spring box downloads in 24 track like spring too
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 8 months

ppenock is correct - that's a loon on the cover of the Hamilton show, not a duck. additionally, the flower is a trillium, which is the official provincial flower of Ontario.
product sku