• 1,689 replies
    admin
    jq171(document).ready(function (jq171) { var covertArtDownloadMarkup = 'Looking for the digital cover art? You can download it here.'; setTimeout(function() { jq171('#digital_cart').append(covertArtDownloadMarkup); }, 500); });

What's Inside:
    •144-page paperback book with essays by Nicholas G. Meriwether and Blair Jackson
    •A portfolio with three art prints by Jessica Dessner
    • Replica ticket stubs and backstage passes for all eight shows
    •8 complete shows on 23 discs
          •3/14/90 Capital Centre, Landover, MD
          •3/18/90 Civic Center, Hartford, CT
          •3/21/90 Copps Coliseum, Hamilton, Ontario
          •3/25/90 Knickerbocker Arena, Albany, NY
          •3/28/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY
          •3/29/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY (featuring Branford Marsalis)
          •4/1/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA
          •4/3/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA
    Recorded by long-time Grateful Dead audio engineer John Cutler
    Mixed from the master 24-track analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios
    Mastered to HDCD specs by David Glasser
    Original Art by Jessica Dessner
    Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 9,000

Announcing Spring 1990 (The Other One)

"If every concert tells a tale, then every tour writes an epic. Spring 1990 felt that way: an epic with more than its share of genius and drama, brilliance and tension. And that is why the rest of the music of that tour deserves this release, why the rest of those stories need to be heard." - Nicholas G. Meriwether

Some consider Spring 1990 the last great Grateful Dead tour. That it may be. In spite of outside difficulties and downsides, nothing could deter the Grateful Dead from crafting lightness from darkness. They were overwhelmingly triumphant in doing what they came to do, what they did best — forging powerful explorations in music. Yes, it was the music that would propel their legacy further, young fans joining the ranks with veteran Dead Heads, Jerry wondering "where do they keep coming from?" — a sentiment that still rings true today, a sentiment that offers up another opportunity for an exceptional release from a tour that serves as transcendental chapter in the Grateful Dead masterpiece.

With Spring 1990 (The Other One), you'll have the chance to explore another eight complete shows from this chapter, the band elevating their game to deliver inspired performances of concert staples (“Tennessee Jed” and “Sugar Magnolia”), exceptional covers (Dylan’s “When I Paint My Masterpiece” and the band’s last performance of the Beatles’ “Revolution”) and rare gems (the first “Loose Lucy” in 16 years) as well as many songs from Built To Last, which had been released the previous fall and would become the Dead’s final studio album. Also among the eight is one of the most sought-after shows in the Dead canon: the March, 29, 1990 show at Nassau Coliseum, where Grammy®-winning saxophonist Branford Marsalis sat in with the group. The entire second set is one continuous highlight, especially the breathtaking version of “Dark Star.”

For those of you who are keeping track, this release also marks a significant milestone as now, across the two Spring 1990 boxed sets, Dozin At The Knick, and Terrapin Limited, the entire spring tour of 1990 has been officially released, making it only the second Grateful Dead tour, after Europe 1972, to have that honor.

Now shipping, you'll want to order your copy soon as these beautiful boxes are going, going, gone...

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • protondecay123
    Default Avatar
    To Fully reconstruct the show from 3/24/1990 at the Knick, you would need to buy " Without A Net " for the One More Saturday Night that closed the 1st Set, Postcards of the Hanging to get the Desolation Row that followed Loser in the 1st set, Dozin' at the Knick for Walking Blues in the 1st set and all of the 2nd set, and Spring 1990 (The Other One) to get the other songs from the 1st set. That show got hacked to pieces.
  • eyes43
    Does anyone have any definitive information on what exactly this is? Heres a link to the ebay item, it has sold, so if you click on this link and you are on a computer or phone, you will need to click on the item to see the original listing. Then you can see the photos, and the numbered coin, which instead of havings its own number, it says, "miracle"? Im thinking this might be what they decided to do with promo copies, instead of leaving it blank, or stamping it "promo" like the FW69 boxset. The Dave's Picks series, all have blank promo copies. (Would be very interesting to know how many promos they make for each of these limited edition items!!) Ok, heres the link:http://m.ebay.com/itm/Grateful-Dead-Spring-1990-The-Other-One-Box-Set-M… If you have the ebay app, you can also just enter this number in the search box, and it will bring you to the same item. Again, it has already sold, so you will need to click on it, to open the original listing. That item number is: 162549487635 Id really like to know what the miracle means on the numbered coins...it makes sense that it would be a promo, that they sent out to reviewers and whomever else is lucky enough to get all this stuff, we all do everything we can to afford, for free! And instead of stamping promo, or leaving blank, they stamped miracle, as in here is your miracle (free) 1990 spring TOO boxset!!! Must be nice!!! Still, though, would like to know for sure! Thanks.
  • company
    Default Avatar
    I'd check for you but I didn't order this box. Hopefully someone who did will be kind enough to take 5 mins to get you some confirmation so you don't think you're going nuts! beet juice
  • antonjo
    purplekush, I know this is a year after your post, but just for the record, gotta call b/s on your song-length observations: "7 minute Halfstep" ~ yeah, that's short, but so is 12/19/73 (7:29) "8 minute playin's" ~ 8:56 (7/1/78), meanwhile 10:27 (3/14/90), 11:40 (4/3/90) "17 minutes for a Help On The Way>Slipknot>Franklins Tower TOTAL" ~ 14:50 (8/13/75) "8 or 9 minute China-Cat>Rider has no time to even find a groove" ~ 13:17 (3/15/90), 11:09 (3/26/90), 10:24 (4/01/90), 11:05 (9/19/90) No 8 or 9-minute versions I could find on any of my '90 releases. "a 19 minute Scarlet-fire it's over before it starts" ~ really? I guess these are, too? : 19:33 (10/16/77), 18:01 (11/2/77), 18:16 (5/11/78), 19:55 (7/3/78), 18:28 (7/7/78) 3/16/90's Scarlet > Estimated is 22:25. Incidentally, 11/4/77's Other One = 4:25, and 7/5/78's Truckin' = 7:29. They're both pretty hot, though. Morals of the story ~ some older years boast just as short or shorter lengths as '90; not all '90 lengths are as short as you claimed; and most importantly, song lengths alone do not tell the tale on performance heat. I do share your wish for one of the Fall '73 shows with horns!
  • simonrob
    The problem with posting when a release finally sells out is that it inevitably becomes available again a day or two later. Won't make that mistake again. Stranger than fiction.
  • Fogle
    Pulled the trigger just in time this afternoon... Mickey's damn Beam told me, turns out it was the right call. Feels all the more special that it came so close. I'll be returning home to this precious package after nearly 4 months across the pond in a week plus. Perhaps my first post on deadland? I've been reading each and every release comment that you crazies have drummed up for years now. Maybe I'll be back! Nice place to be. Dave, dead.net, all involved in this community, thanks a ton!
  • simonrob
    Finally gone. That will make the folks at Rhino happy. Took a long time for one reason or another. Too soon after the first one? Simultaneous downloads available? 9000 was too many?
  • chr1skol1
    Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees! On yesterday I have got my Spring Box (The Other One). Thanks a lot guys that you have bring to us this exciting and beautiful box!
  • fahrenheit451
    Default Avatar
    Been waiting for what seems like forever for this thing to sell out.
  • DaveandDeeds
    Just wanted to throw this out there, I too was frustrated with iTunes metadata, however I believe this is from lazy and inaccurate individuals who load their poorly labeled discs to Gracenote or whatever, and then the options are usually wrong for the rest of us. This all started for me when I decided to import the E72 box. Nightmare!! My advice is, pick the option that "looks" the most accurate, but DO NOT import it as such. Instead, choose NOT to import, fix the mistakes first, then import away. Sorry for a three moth old reply, but we are all in this together. (~}:-
user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months
jq171(document).ready(function (jq171) { var covertArtDownloadMarkup = 'Looking for the digital cover art? You can download it here.'; setTimeout(function() { jq171('#digital_cart').append(covertArtDownloadMarkup); }, 500); });

What's Inside:
•144-page paperback book with essays by Nicholas G. Meriwether and Blair Jackson
•A portfolio with three art prints by Jessica Dessner
• Replica ticket stubs and backstage passes for all eight shows
•8 complete shows on 23 discs
      •3/14/90 Capital Centre, Landover, MD
      •3/18/90 Civic Center, Hartford, CT
      •3/21/90 Copps Coliseum, Hamilton, Ontario
      •3/25/90 Knickerbocker Arena, Albany, NY
      •3/28/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY
      •3/29/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY (featuring Branford Marsalis)
      •4/1/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA
      •4/3/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA
Recorded by long-time Grateful Dead audio engineer John Cutler
Mixed from the master 24-track analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios
Mastered to HDCD specs by David Glasser
Original Art by Jessica Dessner
Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 9,000

Announcing Spring 1990 (The Other One)

"If every concert tells a tale, then every tour writes an epic. Spring 1990 felt that way: an epic with more than its share of genius and drama, brilliance and tension. And that is why the rest of the music of that tour deserves this release, why the rest of those stories need to be heard." - Nicholas G. Meriwether

Some consider Spring 1990 the last great Grateful Dead tour. That it may be. In spite of outside difficulties and downsides, nothing could deter the Grateful Dead from crafting lightness from darkness. They were overwhelmingly triumphant in doing what they came to do, what they did best — forging powerful explorations in music. Yes, it was the music that would propel their legacy further, young fans joining the ranks with veteran Dead Heads, Jerry wondering "where do they keep coming from?" — a sentiment that still rings true today, a sentiment that offers up another opportunity for an exceptional release from a tour that serves as transcendental chapter in the Grateful Dead masterpiece.

With Spring 1990 (The Other One), you'll have the chance to explore another eight complete shows from this chapter, the band elevating their game to deliver inspired performances of concert staples (“Tennessee Jed” and “Sugar Magnolia”), exceptional covers (Dylan’s “When I Paint My Masterpiece” and the band’s last performance of the Beatles’ “Revolution”) and rare gems (the first “Loose Lucy” in 16 years) as well as many songs from Built To Last, which had been released the previous fall and would become the Dead’s final studio album. Also among the eight is one of the most sought-after shows in the Dead canon: the March, 29, 1990 show at Nassau Coliseum, where Grammy®-winning saxophonist Branford Marsalis sat in with the group. The entire second set is one continuous highlight, especially the breathtaking version of “Dark Star.”

For those of you who are keeping track, this release also marks a significant milestone as now, across the two Spring 1990 boxed sets, Dozin At The Knick, and Terrapin Limited, the entire spring tour of 1990 has been officially released, making it only the second Grateful Dead tour, after Europe 1972, to have that honor.

Now shipping, you'll want to order your copy soon as these beautiful boxes are going, going, gone...

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 2 months

Consider this another plea for individual show cover art images. It'd be great to have consistent, quality images for everything in the set along the lines of the overall box cover already available.
user picture

Member for

11 years 10 months

Sounds amazing! Thank you!
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

#119 has hit the ground runnin' out here in Wyo!
user picture

Member for

15 years 4 months

MikeT I had same issue with one of the May77 discs - looked perfect, but skipped during estimated prophet in every player I used. Contacted Dead.net and they resolved quickly. I'm sure they'll make it right - if you don't hear from anyone give MaryE a heads up... Good luck!
user picture

Member for

10 years

I was excited that it was coming by UPS -- USPS won't trek up my 265 ft driveway (81 meters for those outside the U.S.) -- and was disappointed when I saw that UPS had passed the package off to the Postal Service. Got home today expecting a note from the carrier that I had to go pick it up at the post office, but my mailbox was just large enough to accommodate it. Brought it inside, and opened it just like the woman in the "Unveiling Spring 1990 (TOO)" video. I'm feeling under the weather, and was already planning to take tomorrow off as a sick day. The timing was fortuitous. Beautiful box, amazing sound. Thanks to John, Jeffrey, David L., David G., Jessica, Nicholas, Blair, and everyone else.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 3 months

Yes! 23 disks of Good Ol' Grateful Dead has come home. Now, what can I procrastinate doing for the next few days? Thank you to all the folks in DeadLand that made this happen. Here's to many more!! I feel like a 10 year old who just got the Christmas present he's been anticipating with barely contained excitement.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

As a recent lurker, just wanted to say hello and glad to be the recipient of #7012 today. I'm a Dylan guy / certified nut (however you prefer) but got into the Dead slowly and have found it is an addictive, heady brew. My tastes spin out from Dylan, the Band, old folk, blues, early country, jazz, Western swing, everything in between. The Dead seem to fit right in the mushy haze. Still absorbing, so won't pretend to be an expert...Europe '72 got me hooked and since I've taken advantage of archive.org, the XM Dead channel and these archival releases to make up for lost time. I still find '72 to be a peak, but have certainly appreciated other eras and I'm open to the merits of all of them. I got in moderately last year and started to get up to speed, mining the archives while concurrently picking up May '77, Sunshine Daydream and some of the Dave's Picks. Things have escalated this year and I've been preparing for this box set with the first one, as well as Terrapin Limited and Dozin' at the Knick. I guess I don't know the 'down' years (subjective) as well as people here, but I can tell this is a tight band at this time. Terrapin Station (the song) has been my Dead glue holding everything together since I first heard it a few months ago. It never seems to leave my head. I probably couldn't articulate it, but somehow it seems to sum everything about them up. Anyways, that was long-winded and disjointed, so in short, hello world! ;) "There are a lot of spaces and advances between the Carter family, Buddy Holly and, say, Ornette Coleman, a lot of universes, but he filled them all without being a member of any school."
user picture

Member for

13 years 3 months

I really don't understand why Dead.net/Rhino/TPTB/whoever don't have the art available right here on the site.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 11 months

my lid to the boxset is very heavy, but not sure if it is meant to come apart. Also where is the number on the box?
user picture

Member for

15 years 4 months

That box has magnetic personality - surprises aboundRoll the Dice - you might be found You've just entered The Other One underground BOLO's involvement is gettin' around But we get to listen to that amazing sound
user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

Here's how I see it then. High quality 16 and 24 multi-track recordings would transfer at 24/192 for mastering then dithered to 24/96 for the listening source. 2-track reels, cassettes, dat would transfer at 24/96 for mastering then dithered to 16/44 for the listening source.
user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

That lid is heavy and is made to last a long time. The box number is on the coin under the lid. I got #343 here.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 7 months

Just got my box today and noticed that the box that holds the book as well as the cd dividers have come unglued and damaged. Does anyone else have this problem? I'll try Dead.net tomorrow. Also noticed that my coin does not have a number on it - has the word "Miracle" instead. What's up with that? At least until I get the box situation figured out, I have some awesome music to keep me company. Listening to the two Atlanta shows. Was at both and was surprised to find them just as good as I remembered!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 3 months

@muleskinner_blues - Welcome to deadheaddom. I love that Dylan quote from his eulogy for Jerry. There's an almost endless trove of musical treasure to be discovered (at least a lifetime, which is enough). I have always loved how the Dead's music crosses paths with so many other musical streams - pointing even well versed music lovers in some new directions. Enjoy the ride.
user picture

Member for

15 years 4 months

If you're on the fence for the Spring'90 TOO boxset based purely on the sound quality of the first Spring'90 boxset, step up before they go. It's like a veil was lifted off the soundstage compared to the first one. For me, the first 90 boxset did not meet the sound quality of Without a Net. This boxset surpasses it.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Just gave 3/29/90 a good listen. Sound quality is as good as everyone hoped and everyone is now reporting. And of course Branford really makes this a special show. My only complaint is the sound of Brent's keyboards. A classical music critic once said that a harpsichord sounds like "two skeletons making love on a tin roof" and while that's an interesting concept for a Grateful Dead album cover it's a terrible sound for a rock band. Brent's keyboards sound like a harpsichord. Hey, there's a reason they invented the piano. All that technology used to mimic a harpsichord?
user picture

Member for

16 years 3 months

To the 1st show-Wonderful playing in great sound. Can't wait to hear all of these in order. After hearing the Landover show all I can think is what a huge sound improvement in these 24 tracks. Big bass, Jerry is as loud as he should be and the interplay is all there with out the excessive brightness that sometimes marred the sound quality on the first box. Ok how can we get 24 track replacement discs for box one from Rhino? Revolution or ballot box? (Ha). Thanks for putting this box out in the high quality sound that this music deserves.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 3 months

Listened to the first show. The energy is just super high, everyone sounds like they're having a blast, and every band member is clear in the mix. And Phil. Phil. What is it about his playing that makes the bass sound like fun turned into sound? Thanks again all involved. And Jeffrey Norman - thank you, thank you thank you.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 11 months

Still listening to 3/14 and it sounds great! A big Thank You to all who made this possible! Nice to see some folks on here getting some really low numbers. I am intrigued by lundyw1's coin with no number, just 'miracle'.... I am dying to know the story behind that.... but I think I can put two and two together... lundy, did you ever get billed? Check your CC statements! And I'm halfway through that excellent essay by Mr. Meriwether... good reading.
user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

Perhaps holders of the "miracle" coins will soon gain entrance to DL's legendary vault. For the fortunate few: whilst inside there, for God's sake, don't sneeze on the tapes!
user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

Received number 5000 last night. Has a few dings and a page in the book is extra long and folded in but the whole set is intact. But I like the round number 5000 so it's a keeper. Only got through 3/29. I'm hoping that we can see a release of 9/10/91 from MSG with Branford at some pont. I was fortunate to attend and that was my penultimate show. *Quick shout out for Pete Hanson and his wife Sue Kim and daughter Christine, being yesterday was 9/11. We'll miss you always, never forget you and, Pete you were a Classic Head,and A Great Guy!
user picture

Member for

13 years 9 months

Bolo wrote: Perhaps holders of the "miracle" coins will soon gain entrance to DL's legendary vault. For the fortunate few: whilst inside there, for God's sake, don't sneeze on the tapes! Sneeze> allergy> for me, that's May and August> two of the most famous Dead shows took place in May (Cornell) and August (Springfield Creamery> 8/27/72 recently released> therefor it's 5/8/77! Of course, if your allergies hit at different times, your show will be different. Either way, the next release will be nothing to sneeze at. ;-)
user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

Wow, these tunes are great. Listened to 3/29 last night and have decided that I have a favorite Bird Song. Branford adds a lot to it (and we all know the song was perfect to begin with.) There's something about Branford and Jerry's playing (their solos=AMAZING) and Brent's harmonies that is magical. Such a moving listening experience for me. The album art is genius. Probably the best art I've seen on a Dead release. Happy listening, folks!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 8 months

Listening to 3.29.90 first. Just put in 1st disc. Looking forward to killing some time with this.
user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

I'm really enjoying this show. Only Friend of the Devil performed on the entire tour.
user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

Listening to show #1 [03/14/90] it sounds sweet, and this box set is nice TOO ! I like the coin & dice, a lot of thought went into the design of this release. Nice work Dead Net / Rhino. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Thoughts on the "Miracle" coin(s). Maybe these folks will see there CC statements credited back their purchase price. Now that would cool. Happy listening ! Weve
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 1 month

I'm sorry I missed the first one. Here's hoping the release it digitally!!!!.....it was done with da ROAD TRIPS so who knows.......nice sturdy box ....well thought out ....I will catch grief for this comment but I'm gonna throw out it ....plus most of stuff with it ..... It's the music that matters to me.....the rest unnessitary....the booklet will make good reading .....the sound great ....here's hoping like Europe 72 ( music only) there are more releases like that ....just 2cents from #8976
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

@wjonjd Thanks! Been enjoying lurking, looking forward to contributing. Haven't got into the new box yet's music yet, but it is a great collection and visual piece. I am wrapping up the shows from the first Spring 1990 set now, and then will start with the new ones later tonight maybe. Listening to 4/2/90 from the first now during these last few hours of work..
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 9 months

Wow,sold vol 1 to pay for this box and glad I did! Possibly the greatest quality live recordings I have ever heard. I played Without A Net to death for 20 years and was incredibly let down when vol 1 came out. This has now made up for that.Its been said here before;but if you are on the fence and haven't got it yet you had better act fast! I have the steamer 72 box also and feel this is an equal. If the 2 volumes would have been combined into a huge box with this quality..who knows the accolades it would be getting
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Some have wondered how the nos. are decided. I am sure there is no rhyme or reason. It just is the luck of the draw as they pull your order off of the pallet in the warehouse. I always order the minute I get the email and I never get a low number. I don't really care, just saying. It is all about the music and this music is unbelievable! The sound is probably about as good as you can get. I am about half way through 3/14, I would never listen out of order the first time, and it is sounding very pretty indeed. Once I get through these 8 shows, I will cue up all 16 and go through the whole tour as if I was literally on the bus and not just mentally. Get it now if you haven't already. You will not be disappointed Rock on
user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

Everybody's Dancin' # 8489 arrived in Erie CO. I'm opting to listen in chronological order over the next few days, the whole tour, including previous releases.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....the online tracking shows by box was transferred from UPS to USPS at 11:15 AM. My mail usually arrives between 3:00 and 3:30 PM. Here's hoping it made it on the bus....I mean truck...
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 3 months

This is a joyful day. My favorite Dead. I'm riding high. The first one to listen to is 4/1/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA "Just a little light" brought tears to my eyes and shivers throughout my body it's good.
user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

My favorite part of the artwork so far is the back of the book which has a bolt and the caption "Put a bolt on it" WHich has me grinning. Maybe some artists get told their art is great, but it needs to be Deadified! Certainly a wink to Portlandia, I would think.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 10 months

I am not a tracking kind of guy. I received my shipping notice and left it at that. Had a planned short Friday at work and came home to the package. Nice way to start the weekend. Sounds so sweet. Show two up next. I think I need more beer. Cheers!
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Not to distract from the box set, but wanted to see what people thought. As a rookie, I only first heard They Love Each Other on the May '77 box set, and then in various later live recordings. Never did anything for me, besides being a pleasant enough song. I heard a version from 1973 on XM the other day and it was fantastic, like a completely different (and better) song, to me at least, at a little more upbeat tempo. Any input for best TLEO?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 7 months

Checked the credit card statement - "Miracle" or not, the charge for the box was still there. Will let you guys know what's up as soon as I hear something from the Dead.net folks.The plot thickens...
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

#1350 arrived here in Metuchen, NJ yesterday. Music to one side, just for a moment: This thing is lovely! It's all very attractively designed. I am enjoying Jessica Dessner's beautiful drawings, trying to relate each image to the appropriate venue or song (why a tortoise on the final Omni show?). The included paperback book contains a serious, readable -- if somewhat "scholarly" -- treatment of the tour experience, synthesizing the viewpoints of band, management, press, "locals" (including police & government) and Deadheads. I decided to digest the whole thing before digging into the shows. Nick Meriwether has really done a great job with this! It's something genuinely deeper than any other set of liner notes I've seen & it makes a great companion to the (more typical and expected) glossy photo books & Dennis McNally's notes in the first box set. The construction of the box interior itself is somewhat flimsier than the first set & like some others, I have found that the heavy cardboard separators between some of the discs have already gotten a bit smooshed, probably just from the force of the CD cases wanting to shift around in transit. Oh well. The other geegaws (coin, dice, repro tix & passes and the "art prints") are fine novelties, but not much more than that. I did finish reading the Meriwether essay this afternoon and so, skipping (for now) Blair's individual show blow-by-blow accounts, I dug into the Capital Center tour opener. Everyone has been saying the same thing: the sound and mix are fantastic. Everyone is correct: the sound and mix are fantastic! I found listening to the previous Spring 1990 box to be a little wearing -- everything seemed washed together, harsh. This has got beautiful separation of every instrument and voice. All the timbres sound clear and full. This simply sounds good as anything released from any era & far better than many, and I have heard all of them (except that elusive Beyond Description bonus disc -- Hello!). Also, and most important of all, the band are just playing with fire. The brief, intense jam in Feel Like A Stranger, just the second song of the tour, conveys everything. This is essential Grateful Dead. Maybe there is someone reading this still on the fence about plunking down big change for so many shows at one go, particularly if they felt disappointed by the first Spring 1990 box. If that's you, I implore you: Get This Set. It is the real deal. There is nothing "lesser" about the performances here & everything "greater" about the mix and mastering jobs by Messrs Norman and Glasser. Hat off, rant over, stereo ON.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 5 months

Just started listening to the 1st show. Quality is awesome as in most of the releases. The packaging is wonderful.
user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Box showed up Thursday but didn't have time to start with class, but damn, this is great. The sound is fantastic and the first show, like the first piece in the book says, is amazing already. I've made it through the first box twice...I think this one will get more play...even without a Box of Rain :/
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 11 months

Started at the beginning... up to 3/25 Knickerbocker.... THIS THING IS A WINNER. Wow... Brent on Hey Pocky Way at an earlier show... uh... 3/21? was AMAZING!
user picture

Member for

11 years 10 months

...Here on Long Island! YES! Haven't listened to anything, yet, but the box itself is a thing of beauty. I really enjoyed opening it up and looking at all the little details. My 2-and-1/2-year-old son got a kick out of it, too! "Open" and "Knock, knock," he said, tapping on the blue shipping box. "D," he said when he saw the dice.. "E"... "A"... "D"... Can't wait to listen and play some of this for him. When he was just a few months old he would lay on his back and dance to "Shakedown Street," even vocalizing to the "Well, well, well..." Can you tell I'm a proud, happy dad? That is a GRATEFUL DAD!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 11 months

Wow all I have to say not to be mean but if you pass on this one your a fool this is by far the best release yet please release more 24 track shows I don't care if they are 90-95 if they sound like this I will buy everything
user picture

Member for

12 years 5 months

O.K., on to the 2nd show. I was at the next night and I remember listening to this on the radio as it was simulcast. I think this show is just as good,wish I could've went to both. The two shows on this tour I went to are on the first box and I wish they sounded like this. I've listened to this box set(2shows) on all my devices and it sounds great on everything! Especially my home 5.1 system, its like the Dead are in my living room! "When I paint My Masterpiece"is one of my favorite Dead covers. Bobby sings Bobby great! Yes, if you are still on the fence, get this set, you wont regret it! So far the music is fantastic!!! Take care folks!!!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 10 months

Blown Away, that's what I am right now over this box. I am familiar with these shows, inside and out. Have been for roughly 24 years now, after the rough auds came out immediately after tour and before the Carson May shows, then to the better FOBs, then to the early SBDs, the DSBDs and well, you know the progression. This tour is and will always be on my short list of best ever. While that is more accepted a theory now, my friends and I felt that way 20 years ago when it wasn't as much of a consensus opinion to say the least. I am simply out of my skull over the quality of the mix on these, it is stellar and second to none in terms of prior releases. While there is something jaw dropping over what Jeffrey and the gang do with a 1969 or 1970 show when releasing it some 40+ years later, this is a different impressive. A more hi-fidelity experience for the faithful indeed. I have read a lot about the shame of the first box mix being subpar to this since that contained better shows. That last part is horseshit. This batch contains the secret shows, the glue if you will, that binds and elevates this tour. Night one Cap. Night one Hartford. Night one Copps. Night One Nassau. Atlanta bookends. These are the shows that may not look great "on paper" as the saying goes, but which deliver in what makes this tour special.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 8 months

I think I've finally been accepted into "The Low Number Club," not that it matters! As long as it's one of the existing copies! :) But the copy I received of the most recent Dave's Picks was #94! Just sayin'. Anyway, the set is beautiful! I especially like the little (but many-paged) book! So cute, and nicely designed. Anyway, time to climb into bed and listen to as much of 3/14/90 as I can stay awake for. Not that it won't be stellar, it's just been a long week! Party on, Dead fans! And thanks for all the hard work, Dead.net folk!
user picture

Member for

14 years

Dead.net, please post some high quality pics of the individual show covers for those of us who are importing. Please? :)
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

On the first show of the 1990 Spring Tour now - sound is great. And really enjoying the start of the tour energy- there was a rip in one of my cases (3/21) but I think it just adds a little character. Any ideas for some good Dice games? I actually like the goodies for this one and cannot wait to have a library/music room so I can frame the prints I have received from this box and others. This is a great time to be into the dead- so much quality coming out consistently each year - IMO Dave's Picks has blown away the RT series and the boxes have been awesome. Anyway, back to listening-
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Almost the halfway mark for mine. Speaking of halfway, I am just finishing loading the forth show into iTunes. I have an early morning meeting, but I will have it on my iPod in the car for the ride. Can't wait! I've had the 3/14/90 Loose Lucy for years. Remember when you could download the tracks that were posted to dead.net? I am so looking forward to hearing it! Goodnight brothers and sisters :-)
user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

Anyone dare tear it open yet?? Maybe the dice are loaded to play on top? Like bolo hinted at?
product sku