• 1,689 replies
    admin
    jq171(document).ready(function (jq171) { var covertArtDownloadMarkup = 'Looking for the digital cover art? You can download it here.'; setTimeout(function() { jq171('#digital_cart').append(covertArtDownloadMarkup); }, 500); });

What's Inside:
    •144-page paperback book with essays by Nicholas G. Meriwether and Blair Jackson
    •A portfolio with three art prints by Jessica Dessner
    • Replica ticket stubs and backstage passes for all eight shows
    •8 complete shows on 23 discs
          •3/14/90 Capital Centre, Landover, MD
          •3/18/90 Civic Center, Hartford, CT
          •3/21/90 Copps Coliseum, Hamilton, Ontario
          •3/25/90 Knickerbocker Arena, Albany, NY
          •3/28/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY
          •3/29/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY (featuring Branford Marsalis)
          •4/1/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA
          •4/3/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA
    Recorded by long-time Grateful Dead audio engineer John Cutler
    Mixed from the master 24-track analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios
    Mastered to HDCD specs by David Glasser
    Original Art by Jessica Dessner
    Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 9,000

Announcing Spring 1990 (The Other One)

"If every concert tells a tale, then every tour writes an epic. Spring 1990 felt that way: an epic with more than its share of genius and drama, brilliance and tension. And that is why the rest of the music of that tour deserves this release, why the rest of those stories need to be heard." - Nicholas G. Meriwether

Some consider Spring 1990 the last great Grateful Dead tour. That it may be. In spite of outside difficulties and downsides, nothing could deter the Grateful Dead from crafting lightness from darkness. They were overwhelmingly triumphant in doing what they came to do, what they did best — forging powerful explorations in music. Yes, it was the music that would propel their legacy further, young fans joining the ranks with veteran Dead Heads, Jerry wondering "where do they keep coming from?" — a sentiment that still rings true today, a sentiment that offers up another opportunity for an exceptional release from a tour that serves as transcendental chapter in the Grateful Dead masterpiece.

With Spring 1990 (The Other One), you'll have the chance to explore another eight complete shows from this chapter, the band elevating their game to deliver inspired performances of concert staples (“Tennessee Jed” and “Sugar Magnolia”), exceptional covers (Dylan’s “When I Paint My Masterpiece” and the band’s last performance of the Beatles’ “Revolution”) and rare gems (the first “Loose Lucy” in 16 years) as well as many songs from Built To Last, which had been released the previous fall and would become the Dead’s final studio album. Also among the eight is one of the most sought-after shows in the Dead canon: the March, 29, 1990 show at Nassau Coliseum, where Grammy®-winning saxophonist Branford Marsalis sat in with the group. The entire second set is one continuous highlight, especially the breathtaking version of “Dark Star.”

For those of you who are keeping track, this release also marks a significant milestone as now, across the two Spring 1990 boxed sets, Dozin At The Knick, and Terrapin Limited, the entire spring tour of 1990 has been officially released, making it only the second Grateful Dead tour, after Europe 1972, to have that honor.

Now shipping, you'll want to order your copy soon as these beautiful boxes are going, going, gone...

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • protondecay123
    Default Avatar
    To Fully reconstruct the show from 3/24/1990 at the Knick, you would need to buy " Without A Net " for the One More Saturday Night that closed the 1st Set, Postcards of the Hanging to get the Desolation Row that followed Loser in the 1st set, Dozin' at the Knick for Walking Blues in the 1st set and all of the 2nd set, and Spring 1990 (The Other One) to get the other songs from the 1st set. That show got hacked to pieces.
  • eyes43
    Does anyone have any definitive information on what exactly this is? Heres a link to the ebay item, it has sold, so if you click on this link and you are on a computer or phone, you will need to click on the item to see the original listing. Then you can see the photos, and the numbered coin, which instead of havings its own number, it says, "miracle"? Im thinking this might be what they decided to do with promo copies, instead of leaving it blank, or stamping it "promo" like the FW69 boxset. The Dave's Picks series, all have blank promo copies. (Would be very interesting to know how many promos they make for each of these limited edition items!!) Ok, heres the link:http://m.ebay.com/itm/Grateful-Dead-Spring-1990-The-Other-One-Box-Set-M… If you have the ebay app, you can also just enter this number in the search box, and it will bring you to the same item. Again, it has already sold, so you will need to click on it, to open the original listing. That item number is: 162549487635 Id really like to know what the miracle means on the numbered coins...it makes sense that it would be a promo, that they sent out to reviewers and whomever else is lucky enough to get all this stuff, we all do everything we can to afford, for free! And instead of stamping promo, or leaving blank, they stamped miracle, as in here is your miracle (free) 1990 spring TOO boxset!!! Must be nice!!! Still, though, would like to know for sure! Thanks.
  • company
    Default Avatar
    I'd check for you but I didn't order this box. Hopefully someone who did will be kind enough to take 5 mins to get you some confirmation so you don't think you're going nuts! beet juice
  • antonjo
    purplekush, I know this is a year after your post, but just for the record, gotta call b/s on your song-length observations: "7 minute Halfstep" ~ yeah, that's short, but so is 12/19/73 (7:29) "8 minute playin's" ~ 8:56 (7/1/78), meanwhile 10:27 (3/14/90), 11:40 (4/3/90) "17 minutes for a Help On The Way>Slipknot>Franklins Tower TOTAL" ~ 14:50 (8/13/75) "8 or 9 minute China-Cat>Rider has no time to even find a groove" ~ 13:17 (3/15/90), 11:09 (3/26/90), 10:24 (4/01/90), 11:05 (9/19/90) No 8 or 9-minute versions I could find on any of my '90 releases. "a 19 minute Scarlet-fire it's over before it starts" ~ really? I guess these are, too? : 19:33 (10/16/77), 18:01 (11/2/77), 18:16 (5/11/78), 19:55 (7/3/78), 18:28 (7/7/78) 3/16/90's Scarlet > Estimated is 22:25. Incidentally, 11/4/77's Other One = 4:25, and 7/5/78's Truckin' = 7:29. They're both pretty hot, though. Morals of the story ~ some older years boast just as short or shorter lengths as '90; not all '90 lengths are as short as you claimed; and most importantly, song lengths alone do not tell the tale on performance heat. I do share your wish for one of the Fall '73 shows with horns!
  • simonrob
    The problem with posting when a release finally sells out is that it inevitably becomes available again a day or two later. Won't make that mistake again. Stranger than fiction.
  • Fogle
    Pulled the trigger just in time this afternoon... Mickey's damn Beam told me, turns out it was the right call. Feels all the more special that it came so close. I'll be returning home to this precious package after nearly 4 months across the pond in a week plus. Perhaps my first post on deadland? I've been reading each and every release comment that you crazies have drummed up for years now. Maybe I'll be back! Nice place to be. Dave, dead.net, all involved in this community, thanks a ton!
  • simonrob
    Finally gone. That will make the folks at Rhino happy. Took a long time for one reason or another. Too soon after the first one? Simultaneous downloads available? 9000 was too many?
  • chr1skol1
    Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees! On yesterday I have got my Spring Box (The Other One). Thanks a lot guys that you have bring to us this exciting and beautiful box!
  • fahrenheit451
    Default Avatar
    Been waiting for what seems like forever for this thing to sell out.
  • DaveandDeeds
    Just wanted to throw this out there, I too was frustrated with iTunes metadata, however I believe this is from lazy and inaccurate individuals who load their poorly labeled discs to Gracenote or whatever, and then the options are usually wrong for the rest of us. This all started for me when I decided to import the E72 box. Nightmare!! My advice is, pick the option that "looks" the most accurate, but DO NOT import it as such. Instead, choose NOT to import, fix the mistakes first, then import away. Sorry for a three moth old reply, but we are all in this together. (~}:-
user picture

Member for

17 years 1 month
jq171(document).ready(function (jq171) { var covertArtDownloadMarkup = 'Looking for the digital cover art? You can download it here.'; setTimeout(function() { jq171('#digital_cart').append(covertArtDownloadMarkup); }, 500); });

What's Inside:
•144-page paperback book with essays by Nicholas G. Meriwether and Blair Jackson
•A portfolio with three art prints by Jessica Dessner
• Replica ticket stubs and backstage passes for all eight shows
•8 complete shows on 23 discs
      •3/14/90 Capital Centre, Landover, MD
      •3/18/90 Civic Center, Hartford, CT
      •3/21/90 Copps Coliseum, Hamilton, Ontario
      •3/25/90 Knickerbocker Arena, Albany, NY
      •3/28/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY
      •3/29/90 Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY (featuring Branford Marsalis)
      •4/1/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA
      •4/3/90 The Omni, Atlanta, GA
Recorded by long-time Grateful Dead audio engineer John Cutler
Mixed from the master 24-track analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios
Mastered to HDCD specs by David Glasser
Original Art by Jessica Dessner
Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 9,000

Announcing Spring 1990 (The Other One)

"If every concert tells a tale, then every tour writes an epic. Spring 1990 felt that way: an epic with more than its share of genius and drama, brilliance and tension. And that is why the rest of the music of that tour deserves this release, why the rest of those stories need to be heard." - Nicholas G. Meriwether

Some consider Spring 1990 the last great Grateful Dead tour. That it may be. In spite of outside difficulties and downsides, nothing could deter the Grateful Dead from crafting lightness from darkness. They were overwhelmingly triumphant in doing what they came to do, what they did best — forging powerful explorations in music. Yes, it was the music that would propel their legacy further, young fans joining the ranks with veteran Dead Heads, Jerry wondering "where do they keep coming from?" — a sentiment that still rings true today, a sentiment that offers up another opportunity for an exceptional release from a tour that serves as transcendental chapter in the Grateful Dead masterpiece.

With Spring 1990 (The Other One), you'll have the chance to explore another eight complete shows from this chapter, the band elevating their game to deliver inspired performances of concert staples (“Tennessee Jed” and “Sugar Magnolia”), exceptional covers (Dylan’s “When I Paint My Masterpiece” and the band’s last performance of the Beatles’ “Revolution”) and rare gems (the first “Loose Lucy” in 16 years) as well as many songs from Built To Last, which had been released the previous fall and would become the Dead’s final studio album. Also among the eight is one of the most sought-after shows in the Dead canon: the March, 29, 1990 show at Nassau Coliseum, where Grammy®-winning saxophonist Branford Marsalis sat in with the group. The entire second set is one continuous highlight, especially the breathtaking version of “Dark Star.”

For those of you who are keeping track, this release also marks a significant milestone as now, across the two Spring 1990 boxed sets, Dozin At The Knick, and Terrapin Limited, the entire spring tour of 1990 has been officially released, making it only the second Grateful Dead tour, after Europe 1972, to have that honor.

Now shipping, you'll want to order your copy soon as these beautiful boxes are going, going, gone...

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

I just realized the cardboard flap is magnetized. So, no need to damage the flap by over-squeezing it back into its slot. Too late for me, I'm afraid I already damaged mine. :/
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 3 months

"but really, what other tour is left that would command such attention... and sales? " '89 or "Dylan and the Dead" The fact the Robert Zimmerman is involved would insure sales that dwarf '72 or '90. Dylan disciples and Deadheads would both buy it. It could possibly get Rolling Stone cover status, depending on Jenn Werner's mood. And would probably get blurbs in main stream media outlets. I'm sure it will be released at some point, either through the Dylan bootleg series or dead.net. And since it's more Dead than Dylan, I'm betting on dead.net. Musically it may not be as "jazzy" as '72 or as important to the Dead's career/longevity/commercial viability as '90 was, but it's a gold mine for Rhino and Mr. Zimmerman's children. "Any day now. Any day now, I[t] shall be released." -- even though it got some bad reviews at the time it was going down.
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

Listening to TOO,I don't think now that I ever got on the bus completly of my own volition.I think I got RAN OVER between fall '89 & spring '90. Pow! Of course everyone already on board gave me a hand and got me there but this shit bowled me over in a big way......for life. :) Thanx P.S.-Cowboy Neil had to swerve,but he got me.......
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 5 months

Holy guacamole!Awesome! I though it would be good, but not this good! And I'm only on the first show, but some of the appeal certainly comes from the amazing box itself. WOW! I wonder how many are left now? 1200? 800? It is a fun game to watch the "less than n" note change.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

I've been taking my time and listening to each show in the tour - some quick observations: Does anyone else feel that the shows on the TOO box have more aggressive playing than the others? It just seems that they have a little more energy - not that the other shows are not as good but they seem to not reach that frenzy level. For instance Hartford - Shakedown to Red Rooster out of the gate is insane. I was hesitant about the RR but they kill it in the number two slot and there you have two big jams right at the start of the show. The other thing that's pretty obvious is Brent- man he is just going off and lighting fires under everyone! It's like he thought that his job was in jeopardy because of the recent issues and was like screw it, I'm going out with a bang! Lastly, since becoming a father I have a new appreciation for "I will take you home" - before the tune really didn't resonate and now I look at it totally different - all in all I think this era of shows is really special because you have 90% of the GD catalog (minus some songs here and there and the tunes that would be dev after) being played at such a high level and in many different places in the set list. Also, I am digging some of the Midi - never thought I'd say that but again its a nice change of pace.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 10 months

Anybody reading this needs to do the following: When you go to bed make sure you put your ear phones in and listen to Shakedown Street>Little Red Rooster from 3/18 Music always sounds best just before going to sleep. Do this and feel free to thank me later. However, the most thanks has to go to those who worked on this release.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 5 months

The sound quality and mix of this box set is simply Beautiful !The next best thing to being there. Being able to hear the separation of the drummers in the soundstage / mix is amazing. As Spacebrother mentioned, The B-3, sounds deep, warm, and clear. Worlds apart from Dozin' and Without a Net. IMHO... Vocal blends are wonderful. Phil's Bass is powerful without over coloring the rest of the mix. This is truly a labor of love. Time Well Spent ! Thank you John Cutler, Jeffrey Norman, and Crew !!! Especially you Jeffrey ! WOW.
user picture

Member for

15 years

I've been jamming a show from this set each night over the past three days. Well, I guess I was cranking up the 3/21/90 show a little too loudly last night. I'm sitting there, watching the baseball game, listening to the show and a see a flicker of light. I thought that I was going to blow a fuse or something. Then I look behind me, in my den, and this guy yells "POLICE". There was a cop looking in the window in my den. It was just his face and he was pressed up against the screen. He scared the crap out of me. He told me I had to turn it down. I guess a neighbor complained. It was during "Throwing Stones". It was about 10:15pm. Man o life, it scared the hell out of me. I politely obliged, but I guess I need to close my windows when I listen to these releases. I live in a detached house. The music on this set just begs to be cranked up; it sounds that good.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Kev you made me laugh out loud. I am with you. My philosophy is that there are two ways to listen to music, loud & louder! If it is too loud, you are too old!Rock on
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

You guys are very persuasive. From the glowing reviews, to the sparkling and plentiful samples, I finally got off the fence and ordered the box. I really had to wait, to see if our finances could stabilize after some unexpected things came up, and lo! I feel like I can afford it, and it isn't sold out yet (barely). Anyway, it's an investment - if we're ever that hard up, I think I can always sell it for at least what I paid. (Unlike the downloads, I will never never understand the appeal of that). But I hope that never happens - damn this sounds good. I still don't care for the MIDI, or the occasional rinky-dink Brent piano sounds (but the organ, as Spacebro eloquently points out, sounds perfect) - or the Miami Vice drum sounds that crop up at times, but what the heck. And no doubt they are playing at a peak. So, I'm in. Looking forward to getting this one...
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

than the Branford show. I've always loved the show and had a decent (by the standards of the day) tape that I played a lot, but this is off the chart. However, if you are planning to listen to it and get any work done at the same time, forget it. I'll get to some of the other shows in a bit, but I think I need to play this one a few more times.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I think the art is wonderful on this box. So varied and beautiful, colorful and pretty. I love it.
user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

After buying the first box and selling it after a few listens, that won't happen here. As noted, the sound is incredible! Really great separation and clarity. I usually gravitate to 73-77, but this offers too much in great song selection and first rate performance to resist. This is a class release all around. What other band puts this kind of thought and care into 24 year old concert releases? It brings me back to my youth, staring at the album cover, reading the sleeve notes, buton steroids!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

Started listening to this today I got it on Tuesday the 9th however I've been so wrapped up with DP 11 (Fall'72) I pretty much forgot about this, plus the wife & kids are away in Hershey, PA. for the weekend, just the girls no guys allowed, so I have the house ALL to myself which gives me plenty of opportunity to give this a real listen. I can describe it with one word, SPECTACULAR!! Not only is it pleasing to the eye it's eargasmic. Other than the obvious (3/29) my favorite show so far is the 1st one (3/14), 1st Loose Lucy in 979 shows plus a raging Let It Grow & a 2nd set that opens with Crazy Fingers>Playin. Overall the mix is superb, the sound quality is amazing. This is my 2nd favorite box set after Europe '72. A GREAT job by TPTB. If you don't have it yet, ORDER YOURS TODAY!!!!! HAPPY FRIDAY, DEADLAND
user picture

Member for

10 years

I got mine, the highest number I've seen posted yet 8177. And whats up with miracle coin? crown tab? Is that all for real? oh yeah and unfortunately no coin? whats going on? I wonder?
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

I hate to be critical - hey some people may enjoy this essay that is in the book, but I found it disjointed and lacking clarity - what was the author trying to say? At first it tells of the persecution of deadheads at every concert with notes concerning the overall atmosphere and in the end it tries to compare the whole dead movement from 1966 onward to a "seminal" study from the New Left (Democratic Society)… whaaa? That the deadhead movement is a minority meant to create a generational legend - Before that he states that the scene had become a drag to the cities, band, and management- so what is it? Is the dead scene a democratic utopia as describe by the New Left (I just threw up in my mouth) or a drag? Am I reading this wrong? Why does the essay need to have a prophetic vibe especially at the end? Sorry this is a sore spot because not every deadhead can be classified as blue, red - conservative or liberal. To me its simply Americana at its truest.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years

Anyone hear Standing On The Moon on Sirius today around 2:45 PM PST?? Loved it. Anyone know what show it's from?? Again, it's a long shot. Thanks
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

mpace -- agreed. as somebody who's done some academic writing, i get what Meriwether was trying to do. he's a historian, who was trying to tell a story of the tour through a particular filter of oral history. the oral history he chose was the stories being told in 1990 in the press and by city officials, which was the negative connotations (mistakenly) associated with the band. to the extent that he balanced that with sympathetic accounts, it was those that appeared quoted in the media, or came from enlightened journalists. so, while it works from a pure oral history perspective, it fails as a complete history -- it purports to tell the story of the 1990 tour, but draws from a source that doesn't tell the whole story. he would've done far better to troll the postings on this thread after the set was announced to get better accounts from those that were there. in other words, he should've left the ivory tower ...
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

Eh, maybe for the sake of argument/discussion. I still can't help but think Branford's remarks about this release were condescending towards the Dead. I gave this opinion earlier, then recanted, and now I am re-asserting it. Jeez, I just don't feel he has much respect for the Dead's musicianship. In the various interviews for this release, he refers several times to the dead as "pop music" and how easy it is to play "pop music". This is a put down. Branford is way too smart for it to be anything else. I take exception to this. I don't consider the Dead "pop music". Were the Fillmore West 69 shows, the Europe 72 Dark Stars and Other Ones, the Watkins Glen soundcheck all "pop music"? Even post-hiatus Dead- the PITB jams and "space"- these are all a far cry from "pop music", in my opinion. Probably Branford has never bothered to listen to any of that music. I think "pop music" in the last few decades means more like Madonna, Michael Jackson, Beyonce, etc. Yeah, Branford spoke warmly of the Dead: he was surprised at how much fun he had playing simple pop music! Hey, no big deal- I love Branford, but I think a lot of jazz musicians are condescending towards other music. In most cases, I don't blame them. I do admire Branford's honesty. He certainly speaks his mind. I remember him really trashing avant-garde jazz. I think it was in the Ken Burns Jazz documentary- he dismissed artists such as Cecil Taylor as "pretentious bullshit". Funny cuz Garcia idolized probably the greatest avant-garde jazz musician of all, Ornette Coleman. Honestly, I love Branford and think he is the greatest guest musician the Dead ever played with. But I can't resist a little jab- Branford could never fit in with pre-hiatus Dead. The dude plays waay, waay too many notes. Economy is essential in the best music. Even a 30-ish Branford couldn't play with pre-hiatus Dead. Post-hiatus, sure, beautiful! Hey, if Branford can dish it out he can take it.
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

I was listening to this in my car this morning. And kept hearing some voice. For a split second around the 20 second point it Sounded like Siri from iPhone. I started the track over 4 times, I heard it every time. It sounds like the voice is saying "take out" or eject now". ?? Can anybody else confirm ?? Side note: it is a very nice Estimated > He's Gone
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

DP1 was 12/19, though I wish it had been 12/18. To be fair, 12/19 does have one of the best HCS ever, for which I'm certainly grateful. But 12/18 has one of my favorite segments, i.e. the WRS>DS>Eyes>Wharf Rat>Sugar Mag. Hope it's released someday.
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

I hate to tell you this...but the voice is actually saying, "Get out...leave now" and it means you have a ghost in the house.
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

I know this sounds funny. But I just want to clear this up. I heard this in my car, so it's definitely not a ghost in my house. I even stopped my car, for a few listens. And you are correct 12-18-73 is awesome. I read an article from Dick Latvala and he said he would release 10 shows in a row from Fall 73' if he was allowed.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....is so good, that when it ended, I hit the repeat button. Wonderful song selection if you ask me. Brilliant playing by the entire band. They were ON..... And the mix is off the charts....
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Sure, the Dead could be called pop music. Why not? I think it's just a way to distinguish it from full-on jazz, blues, classical or other (lame) "categories". We need some kinds of quick words to describe music even if the labels are not nearly descriptive enough. I still don't see that as a put-down. It did sound like he was worried that kids might latch onto simpler music (than jazz or classical) and not study harder, but that's just his wish that music students would take it as seriously as he does, not a knock on the GD. Anyway, Branford Marsalis certainly does not need me to defend him. I'm just not interpreting anything he said as negative toward the Dead.
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

Is by my favorite from the Space portions of the first 3 nights of the box. Great tease into I Need A Miracle.
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

I'd check for you but I didn't order this box. Hopefully someone who did will be kind enough to take 5 mins to get you some confirmation so you don't think you're going nuts!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 3 months

Finally gotten to the Atlanta shows also. Although they're all great, my favorites up to this point were the first one 3/14 (smokes) and 3//29, now I've gotta add 4/1 to that list. What a great show! And on top of sizzlingly great music, with inspired playing from everyone, the mix makes this show a complete Phil-Phest to boot. I remember really liking 4/2 from the first box a whole lot, so here's to hoping that 4/3 lives up to its predecessors. Highlights on 4/1 include what is now one of my favorite To Lay Me Down's, a Big River that cooks and simmers, a Music Never Stopped that you can't not dance to, fantastic jam from China to Rider ..... Oh never mind, the whole show is a highlight. I even found myself bopping and smiling to Just a Little Light. I don't think of Pig as primarily a keyboardist, so Brent is without question my favorite of the keyboardists, and there's no question that this box has some of the best examples of why he so loved by so many of us that started the trip as the 80's were inaugurated. He brought fantastic creativity and passion and fit into the groove like he was born for it. Do you remember what he could add to the orgasm at the end of a Dew?, a piece that already used to routinely reach bliss? Just listen to him on these shows. He's jaw dropping good. I love the wild energy of the 60's, the completely unrivaled creativity of the early 70's, the transcendent power of 77 and 78. But, I consider myself lucky that Brent got on board the same time as me.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 1 month

@PalmerEldritch - I dare say you've completely misconstrued Branford's statements. He never once says the Grateful Dead is simple pop music. It's fairly clear that was exactly what he was expecting as he had not heard them play before, but was instead absolutely delighted to find it to be anything but that. He's simply comparing what he thought it would be to what it actually turned out to be.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

...from 4/1 has a great intro, and an inspired outro. A pleasant surprise....
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

3-14 Row Jimmy , the jam after Crazy Fingers into Playin > UJB , Black Peter 3-18 Shakedown opener. 1st set is probably my favorite of the 3. Friend of the Devil through the Music Never Stopped is very nice. TMNS has a great jam. 3-21-90 Half Step, Queen Jane, Victim or the Crime > Standing on the Moon. 2nd set is great and my stand out is Lovelight. Great version plus the small jam at the ends just rips. This set also has Crazy Fingers. I think this one is just a tad better than 3-14,. Even though I like the jam in 3-14 better. Estimated Prophet is very good and it goes into an excellent He's Gone.
user picture

Member for

12 years 5 months

...sitting here on Sat. night grooving to 3/25. Very good show! Masterpiece and Bird Song are great. The 2nd set seems laid back kind of bluesy. So far this show has my favorite "Space". I agree, 3/14 is a great show! Already one of my favorites. Take care folks!
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

So far Hartford is in the lead… Besides the strong Shakedown>Rooster opener there is a great Stagger Lee and a definitive IMO Masterpiece. The rest of the first set is great as previously stated. Seconds set is not as great as the first but it really gels and overall- great playing and the uniqueness of both set lists combined make this a show to come back to. From what I hear - I am very much looking forward to the rest: 4.1 and of course 3.29 with the new mix. I've got my eye on 3-25 because I think it may be a sleeper pick… we'll see.
user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

Yup, that's a typo. It happens. & Yer right about 12/18/73 second set (I mean, it NEEDS to be released!)
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....was top notch. Loving every minute of it...nice how it just fell into Mr. Fantasy at the Omni....outstanding!!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 3 months

Just started the last show, 4/3. Will comment more later, but sugaree just finished. Check out a couple minutes of the song starting 7.30. Just WHAT exactly was Phil doing? It was really good. It might not have been sugaree he was playing, but it was .. Something.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

I feel the need to back Palmer up on this one... I don't have the box set yet (just ordered it), so I'm not sure if you are debating something he wrote in that or in some other source. But I did just re-read the Rolling Stone interview with Branford, and yes he does say some complimentary things about the band, but he also says this: ------------------ "The one thing about the Dead was their level of intensity. Harmonically most of the music was simple - one, two chords. But the intensity was off the chain." "The 7/4 time [in Estimated Prophet] was not a big deal to to a guy who plays jazz. Where jazz guys fuck up playing with pop and rock bands is they seem insulted by the simplicity." "Harmonically it was simple enough that I could catch on quickly." ------------------ I'm not sure if Palmer was reading that or another article, but I really don't see how the above quotes can be construed any other way. One could argue Branford is saying that simplicity is a good thing, but you can't argue that he isn't saying the Dead's music was simple pop/rock music, because that is literally what he is saying.
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

Thanks for the back-up claney. So I'm not completely nuts. I think we all love Branford here, but he has a healthy ego and is outspoken. My guess is he's never heard the Dead's best music: i.e. FW 69, Europe 72, Watkins Glen....
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 10 months

None of these songs appear on the first box: All Along the Watchtower - 3/18 Althea - 4/1 Big River - 3/14, 4/1 Black Peter - 3/14, 3/25 Candyman - 4/1 Cassidy - 3/28 Cold Rain and Snow - 3/14, 3/28 Crazy Fingers - 3/14, 3/21, 3/25, 4/3 Cumberland Blues - 3/21, 3/28 Dark Star - 3/29 Far From Me - 3/21 Friend of the Devil - 3/18 Greatest Story Ever Told - 3/25 Hey Pocky Way - 3/21, 3/28 High Time - 3/28 I Will Take You Home - 3/25, 4/3 Jack Straw - 3/29 Knockin' on Heaven's Door - 3/21, 3/29 Loose Lucy - 3/14, 3/21, 3/28 Mama Tried - 3/14 Me and My Uncle - 3/18, 4/1 Mexicali Blues - 3/18 The Music Never Stopped - 3/18, 4/1 Never Trust a Woman - 3/14, 3/25 Promised Land - 3/21, 3/29, 4/3 Quinn the Eskimo - 3/25 Ramble On Rose - 3/18, 3/29 Revolution - 3/28 Shakedown Street - 3/18, 4/3 Spoonful - 3/18, 3/25 Stagger Lee - 3/18 Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again - 3/14 Sugaree - 4/3 Throwing Stones - 3/21, 3/29, 4/3 To Lay Me Down - 4/1 Turn On Your Lovelight - 3/14, 3/21, 3/29 U.S. Blues - 3/18 Walkin' Blues - 4/1 Wang Dang Doodle - 3/25 We Bid You Goodnight - 4/3 Wharf Rat - 3/21, 3/28 The Wheel - 3/18, 3/29 When I Paint My Masterpiece - 3/18, 3/25, 3/29, 4/3 My apologies for any errors. I did this quickly. Very quickly while listening to 3/18.
user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

Branford also said this: "Those guys can play music...they're American musical icons. They're fantastic! As a matter of fact, I just bought their records. I went out and copped 'em all."
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

hseamons - that is just incredible, thanks for doing that. One of the things which finally conviinced me to shell out for this box was the unbellievable variety of setlitsts. Much as I love the May 77 box, it sure has more repetition. (Not to mention Europe 72 - Mr. Charlie anyone?) Bolo, I don't disagree at all re: Branford. As I mentioned, he does say a lot of positive things too. But, I don't think Palmer was misconstruing anything either... I just felt like offering a little back-up there.
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

If you're the matrix guy, I just want to say thanks for all the great work you do. I have many of your matrices and they're top notch. Thanks!
user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

It is harmonically simple. Isn't it? Yeah, it mostly is. And Marsalis' point is that some jazz players are so full of themselves that they think that means they're above it. If anything, that reads as a dis to many jazz players. Like some jazz players, it seems some rock fans apparently also think the observation that the music is harmonically simple is an insult. Marsalis is saying that's wrong. This is really making something out of nothing.
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

Like Dantian said, if you're Hunter Seamons: Thank You! I am listening to the Seamons matrix of 7/1/85 right now. Sounds FANTASTIC! The three tracks I picked from my former (audience) source of the show are about to be replaced by eight tracks from this matrix mix source. Obtained through the wondrous graces of "Wolfclan77", perhaps someone who frequents this website's comment threads (Wolfclan77 has also posted 9/18/74 and e few others that have been mentioned recently here...hmmm...). Big thanks to Hunter Seamons for all the matrix mixes you worked on and made available to the on-line World and to Wolfclan77 for recently posting so many Dead shows that I want to a website I can D/L them through. I have a personal goal of upgrading my remaining LMA MP3-sourced shows to GDM releases or "Lossless Source" D/Ls. W77 has enabled me to do more upgrades in a couple of months than GDM has in 3 years! Big thanks to Charlie Miller while I am at it!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 10 months

Here are the 30 songs unique to the first box set: Attics of My Life - 3/30 Beat It on Down the Line - 3/22 Believe It or Not - 3/22 Big Railroad Blues - 3/26 Black Throated Wind - 3/16, 3/26 Blow Away - 3/16, 3/26 Box of Rain - 3/19 Brokedown Palace - 3/19, 3/26 Brown Eyed Women - 3/19, 4/2 Built to Last - 3/26 China Doll - 3/19, 3/30 Death Don't Have No Mercy - 4/2 Dire Wolf - 3/30 Don't Ease Me In - 3/22, 3/30 Dupree's Diamond Blues - 3/26 Fire on the Mountain - 3/22 Franklin's Tower - 3/24, 3/30 Gimme Some Lovin' - 3/19, 3/26, 3/30 Help on the Way - 3/24, 3/30 Hey Jude - 3/22 It Must Have Been the Roses - 3/22 It's All Over Now - 3/19, 3/30 Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues - 3/30 The Last Time - 3/16, 3/22, 4/2 Let the Good Times Roll - 3/16, 3/24 Loser - 3/16, 3/24 Peggy-O - 3/16 Slipknot! - 3/24, 3/30 Terrapin Station - 3/30 West L.A. Fadeaway - 3/22 TOO has 13 more unique songs, at 43. Fence sitters have no choice now. Thanks!
user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

I believe the following quotes demonstrate that Branford immediately recognized the difference between the GD's 'sometimes tricky' songs & 'most popular songs.' Also that he understands that listening and playing within context is fundamental to the art of jamming and as such he joined the group onstage as a supportive listener, rather than a star soloist. “When we did ‘Bird Song,’ the first thing I wanted to do was learn the form of the song. The Dead have some incredibly tricky tunes, but for the most part, popular songs are quite simple. People don’t want to go to music school when they’re listening to their music. Jamming doesn’t mean you can play whatever you want. You have a tremendous amount of leeway in context. If you understand the rules, then you have context. But it was a jam session. And I wasn’t going to step on the mainline. I was going to compliment what Jerry was doing. I would just respond to what I was hearing.” “Every time I had played at a popular concert, I was in a horn section. There are specific spots where you play and specific spots where you don’t play. I’d never been in a situation where I was up there and they said ‘OK, let’s do this song.’ What I started to figure out was something I learned as a kid playing in New Orleans. One of the rules of playing in popular styles of music is that the singer is the most important person on stage – you can’t step on the singer. Then it was a matter of figuring out how I could function in a group context. One of the things I basically did was never play a note when [Jerry] sang the first chorus. I always waited to the second chorus. The world just doesn’t need that much sax playing in the middle of a song.” http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014/09/08/grateful-dead-branford-marsal…
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 7 months

Got in touch with someone from Rhino via email, and the mystery was solved about the "Miracle" coin. Was told that the promotional copies of the box set that they gave away all had coins with "Miracle" on them and that I shouldn't have received it. Bummer - was hoping for that trip to the vault! Was told by Rhino that they would replace the set with a numbered one. Listened to the copy of the Branford show today for the first time in the early hours of the morning while on the way to work - it really is worth the hype. Wow.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I think the awesomeness of this box speaks for itself, but just scroll down through the posts here if you are not sure. There is not one show out of the eight which does not have someone here singing its praises. The box, the cases, the accoutrements, and the great set lists mixed to perfection make this one for the ages. When the first Spring '90 box came out, I stated that it would be THE box set that all others would be judged against. Well, I may have to correct myself as this one has probably outdone that one! I love both, but the sound on this one is just amazing. It is surely a great time to be a listener of the best band in the land.Rock on
product sku