• 1,805 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    "When it came to 1973 Dead, I was always drawn to the big second-set jams, 'Dark Star' or 'The Other One,' and all of the places those songs could go that year. One week during my initial stint with the Dead, Dick was spending a lot of time listening to 9/8/73, and he could not stop raving about it. He was very intent on pointing out that despite the absence of the 'Big Two' from 1973, every song, every solo, every moment was out-of-this-world excellent. He played me the first set, giving a play-by-play of each song and what made it special. In those listening sessions, Dick taught me a lot about how to listen critically and objectively. Of course, the subjective self always creeps in, those moments when you whoop and holler at how good a performance is, but that objective listening is critical. After many days of listening, Dick moved to other eras, as was his wont, since he carried the responsibility of selecting the best Dead shows from all eras to represent the Dead’s recorded legacy. But he made it clear and inarguable that he felt 9/8/73 was one of the best-played shows from one of the Dead’s best years." - David Lemieux

Despite the gloriously blustering artwork above, the forecast for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 is blazing hot! With a double endorsement from archivists Dick Latvala and David Lemieux, you know it's a MUST HAVE. This one's got inspired playing from start to finish, with soon-to-be-minted Wake Of The Flood classics, a first-ever "Weather Report Suite," Keith polishing his chops on "Let Me Sing Your Blues Away," Jerry tapping into era-defining sound with his Wolf guitar, and we'd be remiss if we didn't mention Bob's exquisite playing too.

Among our 2021 Dave's Picks subscribers? The subscribers-only bonus disc featuring nearly an hour and a half from 9/7/73 is coming your way too. (P.S. there's 35 minutes of 9/7/73 on Dave's Picks Vol. 38, to boot)

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 was recorded by Kidd Candelaro and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Didn't subscribe? You'll want to jump on this one now as it is guaranteed to sell out.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Vguy72
    Nothing wrong with some surprise philler....

....that's cool. Shipping notice received, but tracking number not working yet.
    Funny. Bob Star was being tossed around here just a couple days ago. Mind Meld!!

• icecrmcnkd

Thanks for the info.
    Hoping for mine to arrive Saturday.

• Slow Dog Noodle

To add to what JJC said, disc 2 has 4-24-83 filler

Space (10:21) > Wheel (6:05) > Playing in the Band (3:14)> Goin Down the Road Feeling Bad (7:29) > Sugar Magnolia (8:52), I Cant Get No Satisfaction (6:36)

Disc 3 has 4-15-83 filler

He's Gone(12:40), Little Star (8:22)

• DeadVikes

Still no shipping notice here.

• jjc

just got it filler from 4-25-83 space thru encore satisfaction and 4-15-83 war memorial he's gone>little star. thank you Dave and the dead for getting the delivery squared at least here in nyc.

• adedhed68

3 days ago. Hasn’t resurfaced since. Ups says it’s coming on Saturday but I kind of doubt it

• unkle sam

still in shock, rest in peace amigo, man, he had just taken time off to have hip surgery, and now, dead. The cause of death has still not been determined but I wonder if it had anything to do with his elective surgery. The same thing happened to Alvin Lee, elective surgery? not me, I will just be in pain of limp or whatever, a hospital can be a dangerous place.

• dmcvt

Thought the same thing for a moment considering 39 artwork, not very convincing pretzels, more "extruded". All the best to you for a quick recovery GaryF, careful with trips and slips, no longer bullet proof youngsters. Mention of City Lights took me back to high school days, late 60s when literate friends got me into Beat stuff, Ginsburg, Kerouac and Burroughs, still have City Lights books from back then, Ferlinghetti was a co founder. Of course we read Paul Bowles translation of Mohammed Mrabet's M'hashish and his own 100 camels in the Courtyard from City Lights. Crazy time with the draft, Kent State, going down town DC for massive anti war demonstrations, the metro police rounded up protesters by bus loads and trucked them over to RFK Stadium. We arranged to host Ginsburg at my small college in 1971 for a reading of Howl. Looking back, pretty amazing, also hosted Brownie and Sonny, Canned Heat and Gary Burton for music that year. Just picked up Ry Cooder's LA Stories, also published by City Lights. Same as some, while I will enjoy DaP 39, somewhere along 1981-82, changes with the Dead, the newer songs, Jerry's voice and behavior... I left Maine for new life in Vermont, got off the bus for a while.

• wilfredtjones

The pick is questionable, but I'll get it and listen to it anyway. In fact, I'll be glad to have it. Syracuse '84 or Merriweather '84 would have been much more obvious choices for the first Shakedown in the DaP series. My choice would have been 7/28/82 for the first Shake. But, that's not why I'm getting paid the big bucks. :-)

• nappyrags

giving a better listen to my CM version of the soon to be "DaP 39"...I thnk I'll dig it more than previously thought but

1...Brent's songwriting is atrocious..His song "Maybe You Know How I Feel" is him being Michael McDonald lite and
    trying to turn the band into the Grateful Doobies...
    2...Somebody please take Bobby's slide away from him...horrid squeaky playing on "Minglewood"
    on the plus side
    3...Jerry's voice warms up a bit and gets better as the show goes on...
    4...the Help > Slipknot > Franklin's > Women shines

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

"When it came to 1973 Dead, I was always drawn to the big second-set jams, 'Dark Star' or 'The Other One,' and all of the places those songs could go that year. One week during my initial stint with the Dead, Dick was spending a lot of time listening to 9/8/73, and he could not stop raving about it. He was very intent on pointing out that despite the absence of the 'Big Two' from 1973, every song, every solo, every moment was out-of-this-world excellent. He played me the first set, giving a play-by-play of each song and what made it special. In those listening sessions, Dick taught me a lot about how to listen critically and objectively. Of course, the subjective self always creeps in, those moments when you whoop and holler at how good a performance is, but that objective listening is critical. After many days of listening, Dick moved to other eras, as was his wont, since he carried the responsibility of selecting the best Dead shows from all eras to represent the Dead’s recorded legacy. But he made it clear and inarguable that he felt 9/8/73 was one of the best-played shows from one of the Dead’s best years." - David Lemieux

Despite the gloriously blustering artwork above, the forecast for DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 is blazing hot! With a double endorsement from archivists Dick Latvala and David Lemieux, you know it's a MUST HAVE. This one's got inspired playing from start to finish, with soon-to-be-minted Wake Of The Flood classics, a first-ever "Weather Report Suite," Keith polishing his chops on "Let Me Sing Your Blues Away," Jerry tapping into era-defining sound with his Wolf guitar, and we'd be remiss if we didn't mention Bob's exquisite playing too.

Among our 2021 Dave's Picks subscribers? The subscribers-only bonus disc featuring nearly an hour and a half from 9/7/73 is coming your way too. (P.S. there's 35 minutes of 9/7/73 on Dave's Picks Vol. 38, to boot)

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 38: NASSAU VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM, UNIONDALE, NY, 9/8/73 was recorded by Kidd Candelaro and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Didn't subscribe? You'll want to jump on this one now as it is guaranteed to sell out.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

It must be true, I heard about it from the internet.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Early subscribers also get a copy of Brent’s studio album which was recorded by recording over the Fall 1980 reels.

Remember when early subscribers to the GD Movie DVD release got a piece of film from one of the film reels that went to theaters?

Early subscribers to the 2022 Brent studio outtakes Box will get a piece of the tape from the Fall 1980 reels that were forever ruined……

I don't want to miss this once in a lifetime offering.

They would be wise to follow-up with a mini holiday box of all the Little Stars ever played. The Bob Star Christmas Box with a Bob Star holiday ornament for the top of the tree. A good follow-up to the garden gnome theme. The ornament would be a high quality painted porcelain miniature replica of the 80's bobby from the short shorts up. A must have for the holidays.

user picture

Member for

3 years 2 months

Phil went phunkytown in Philly!
I only wanna hear this one on my big speaker with the wonder woofer!

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-38.html