• 1,210 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Golden era Grateful Dead in the most golden city in the Golden State? Yes, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 46 features the complete unreleased show from the Hollywood Palladium, Los Angeles, 9/9/72. Loosen that tie, this ain't a red carpet rodeo - it's the after party that legends are made of. Consistently excellent from start to finish, this West Coast groove showcases tracks that would soon debut on EUROPE '72, solo material from both Jerry and Bob, a riveting iteration of "China>Rider," a couple of Chuck Berry doozies, a bonkers 35-plus "Other One" that hits all the psychedelic highs, and wraps up with a "Casey Jones"/"Sugar Magnolia"/"One More Saturday Night" finale that'll have you wondering why you wore a tie in the first place. Hooray for Hollywood, indeed.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Owsley Stanley and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Oh, and it ships next week so you'll wanna grab a copy while you can.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • daverock

Thinking about it, King Crimson have also had quite a few of their live shows released over the years, too. Mainly tucked away in era defining box sets.

• jonathan918@GD

Yes, they have released a bunch of shows, maybe even a few tours.

Fantastic band to see live!!!

• Colin Gould

I was reading the latest issue of Mojo magazine which has an article about Pearl Jam. They have, apparently, issued around 500 official bootlegs of their concerts. Who knew?

• jonathan918@GD

I agree!

It's truly amazing, and you're right, no other band can provide this kind of enjoyment for fans, or build a legacy like this.

I was a little late to the party. I started getting tapes in 1988 from my older brother, but didn't make a show until 1991.

I always thought more would come out, especially after One From The Fault was released, but i never imagined it would be like this!!

A lucky bunch, we are!!

• daverock

It's truly astonishing when you stop and think about all the live shows that have been released over the last 30 years. I never expected all this when I started collecting their official releases back in the 70's. No other rock band could stand such a schedule.

• jonathan918@GD

Gave #46 a spin tonight and was absouletly blown away!

Fantastic sound. Fantastic performance.

It's releases like this and the current #49 Frost show, that gives me faith there is plenty more gold to mine in the vault

Rock on, gang

• Oroborous

Goodnight Gracie lol

• dmcvt

Just went up a few ago

• bluecrow

BigBrownie - Estimated > Franklins > Jam from 12/4/79 was filler on DaP 31 Uptown 12/3/79. The Shakedown that opened Set II on 12/4 appears to have a gap in SBD so not usable. (Edit - oops, my mistake, Shakedown opened Set II on 12/5).

I'm all in on this pick from the Kiel. Completely unfamiliar with it but I know that I really dig Fall '79. There are some very favorable reviews on archive, including one from the "legendary" capn doubledose. I know DaP 31 doesn't get much love, but it was my second show and its always a fun listen for me - spun it on a drive just last week. Just gonna say that the Jack-A-Roe is my favorite outside of those early '77 versions - Jerry's solo is exquisite. It is a puzzle that 12/1 hasn't been released but so be it. I mean, what about Gainesville? One thing's for sure, basically every release is a surprise to me. Sometime its something that's on my wish list, sometimes not, but always a surprise.

• bigbrownie

has a Space>NFA>Stella>Sugar US Blues tacked on at the end. That looks like 12/04 Uptown Theater in Chicago.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

Golden era Grateful Dead in the most golden city in the Golden State? Yes, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 46 features the complete unreleased show from the Hollywood Palladium, Los Angeles, 9/9/72. Loosen that tie, this ain't a red carpet rodeo - it's the after party that legends are made of. Consistently excellent from start to finish, this West Coast groove showcases tracks that would soon debut on EUROPE '72, solo material from both Jerry and Bob, a riveting iteration of "China>Rider," a couple of Chuck Berry doozies, a bonkers 35-plus "Other One" that hits all the psychedelic highs, and wraps up with a "Casey Jones"/"Sugar Magnolia"/"One More Saturday Night" finale that'll have you wondering why you wore a tie in the first place. Hooray for Hollywood, indeed.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Owsley Stanley and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Oh, and it ships next week so you'll wanna grab a copy while you can.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by jonathan918@GD

At least they are on the DaP 46 I received in the mail yesterday.
Arrived 9 days after I received the email with the tracking number. That’s normal for my orders.

Yesterday listened to the bonus disc first as a warm up, then set 1.
Now on set 2 and the China Cat->Rider was very nice.
Sound quality is great.
Will listen to all the CD’s to make sure that they are not defective, then copy to HD, rearrange the tracks to correct order, convert to ALAC, and load onto a music player.
Will also combine and put in order all tracks from 9/3 that we have from the bonus disc and DP36.

And yes, just ejected CD2 and put in CD3 so that I can listen to the show in order.
Still less work than flipping vinyl.

The cover artwork makes me think of Hotel California.

Thanks Dave/Rhino/OSF/Norman/etc.
Keep the releases coming!
And where’s 3-2-69 vinyl?

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Finishing my excellent Kezar '73 tape - 2nd set left.
23rd annual Telluride Bluegrass festival - 6-22-96, Sam Bush & friends sets.
Doc & Richard Watson - Third Generation Blues
If I can get all that in.
Aren't they playing some hockey today/tonight? Seems like a lot of time between games. Playoffs take forever and viewing competition with NBA and now even baseball.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

5 years 1 month

I wound up breaking out the dvd Ticket To New Years.

Back in the day my roommates and I had this on repeat for months!! Wonderful stuff, indeed

Cheers, gang, Happy Sunday spinning

user picture

Member for

5 years 1 month

Good call on Sam Bush!

I wasn't overly familiar with him until a festival called, Del Fest, came to my hometown of Cumberland, MD!

Sam Bush has been there I think every year of the festivals 15 years.

His enthusiasm and skill radiate from the stage!

Also, how cool is the fact that my hometown is called, Cumberland!!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

Istshow- I had a really good sound quality of that on tape too. Then a recording I downloaded onto a cd from a website -possibly called Deadshow of the month. There were a few podcasts I used to be able to record onto cds about 15 years ago. I could never separate the tracks though - so a 7 track cd would only play as one track, with no way of accessing individual tracks. If you had a break half way through - you had to go back to the beginning.

But the Kezar recording stands out in my memory as being really good quality, and a really good show. I can remember thinking at the time though,that the first set seemed really, really long. Almost as though they played two first sets,then came on and played the the third - and this third was more like a typical second set. One I used to like playing in the car on long drives "up north". Memory is a funny thing, though.

It's a three-set wonder, as are all the shows in May plus 6/10/73.

These shows were so long it would have been tricky to get them released as Dave's Picks. May 73 had box set written all over it. HF, did they contact you for the liner notes on 6/9 or 6/10? (kidding, but they should have contacted you)

Haven't made the Telluride Bluegrass Fest yet.. but it's on the list. Been to many DelFest's. Lot a poor man got them Cumberland Blues....

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Yes DR, looks like a 3 set show. 11 song 1st, 11 song 2nd, 9 song 3rd, and 2 encores. Now those were the days (that I never saw). Hometown crowd, daytime show, Jerry acknowledges crowd with a real happy to be here or the like on third song or so. Notes say first show after Pigpen's death but not sure. Should be a killer for the HCS box!
Sam Bush has been at every (I think?) Telluride Bluegrass, now on it's 50th year! Now that's durability. His sets are usually billed as the house band. A very talented and versatile musician. So many greats have graced that little stage. Would have been killer to see the Dead there in '87. I passed foolishly.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Another pathetic effort. Matthews, Marner and Tavares should be ashamed of themselves. All of the big money boys failed to show up.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

Things are never so bad they can't be made worse.
Humphrey Bogart

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

In reply to by That Mike

Well, at least you and I are not one of those poor devoted souls hanging out in Maple Leaf Square. I’ve seen that dejected look on those faces far too many times over the years.

It won’t be long before my beloved Oilers are the only team left from the North.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....was a must win.
You're next AJS.
Big Money. Had a discussion with my cousin today regarding the Mets payroll. 90 mil over the next closest team. Put up or shut up. Money doesn't decide winners.
He's a Mets fan, so it's extra spicy.
His excuse? "It's not my money".
Ghaaa!
He's also suddenly an Oilers fan as well.
Die hard sports fans are in a cult. Rock on.
Ninety. Million. Dollars. And tied with the Miami Marlins. 1st vs 26th regarding throwing cash around lol.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

...watching hockey.
Kraken on a roll, 3 in a row in like 5 minutes.
My fault Toronto lost, I rooted for them.
Always rooting for the underdogs.
Cheers
Edit: 4 now in like 6 minutes.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....that is all.
Playoff hockey is very exciting.
I'm constantly amazed at the skating abilities. They just flow. Cue Dave's 14. Winterland was primarily an ice rink.
I'm especially fond of the tip ins.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

1373 - Julian of Norwich had the first of her "shewings". "All shall be well" was the conclusion she came to.

1911 - Robert Johnson was born. If I could only have one blues cd, I would not be a happy chappy. But if that was the case, Robert Johnson's "The Centennial Collection" is the one I would plump for.

Doh...no wonder Kezar seemed like 3 sets !

HF writing the liner notes for June 73? Sounds good to me - I can think of two other posters who have written good liner notes in the past, so here's hoping.

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

…THATMIKE, if I had known that Samsonov was going to get hurt, I never would have made my bold prediction. AJS was spot on though, the Leaf’s stars disappeared.

I have a good friend who for the last 25 years has repeatedly told me Kezar was his all time favorite show. He’s not a poor man, but I’m not sure the show is worth $200.00 to him. We shall see. Of course, he can copy my upcoming box, but seems to me you’d have to have the real thing, in hand.
I can’t wait to hear Kezar, in all of it’s glory. As well as Des Moines and the other 3 shows. In the meantime, I may have a couple of other Dead cds I can listen to.
Is it not a good idea, after box sets sell out, to make the individual shows available?? It’s certainly been done before.

Music is the Best!!

P.S./Edit-Thanks to DAVEROCK, for forcing me to look up information about St. Julian of Norwich. Fascinating stuff and thankfully, I’m never too old to learn. Beware though, it’s not specifically Dead related!!

Don't know if you're into Nick Cave, Daverock, but I've always liked his lyrics from Higgs Boson Blues:

We came upon a crossroad
The night was hot and black
I see Robert Johnson
With a ten dollar guitar strapped to his back
Lookin' for a tune
Well here comes Lucifer
With his cannon law
He got the real killer groove
Robert Johnson and the devil man
Don't know who's gonna rip off who...

I'm still on the fence as to who got the better deal.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Just in.

Also Vinyl Me Please's album of the month,,,,

Freddie Roach - Brown Sugar

They always give little stickers with your album. This month's is my avatar. Thought it give some a smile.

Enjoy

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

But at Dennis' house it may take a team of firefighters to get them out safely. I'll put it right next to the sticker to save the pets.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

You leave me with the obvious line...... Pets can be replaced!

Go ahead boo and curse me:-)

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

That the firefighters will need a crane.
Not likely an overstatement.
You can get another pet but they are hard to replace.
Love using you as an excuse too, well at least I don't buy as much vinyl as Dennis (as I shell out over $100 for one GD show on vinyl). Secretly I'm sure many of us wish we could do the vinyl 401-K plan. I for one think your values will outpace inflation easily in the future.
Cheers

Edit: My DaP 46 has been sitting at the handoff to USPS in Denver for over 3 days now. Come on Louis!

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

My lowest # yet, 534, landed just south of SF. Initial listen on first few songs from each disc indicates the recording will be superb! Will give the bonus disc a listen on my way to Sweetwater for the MHI Benefit tonight. Saw Wavy Gravy at his birthday and SEVA celebration, great set with Vince Herman from Leftover Salmon and Sam Grisman. Maria Muldaur joined in for Catfish John and Stealin'. Hope everyone is doing well and getting ready for the summer (~):)

user picture

Member for

3 years 6 months

Right on time, really: I generally get my DaPs about 8-10 days after the release, and this one is no exception, arriving with today's mail, praise be ye gods and goddesses.

Oh, and just btw, it fucking smokes.

Or at least bonus disc does (will have to save the 9/9 show for this evening. Excellent audio quality (vocals maybe a little 'hot' but definitely stereo). Garcia's vocal are just so (what's the word I'm looking for here?) ... animated: check out the "wish I was headlight" from this excellent China-Rider. Yeeeeeah buddy.

Man, the Dead could do no wrong in '72. So many of my all time favorite shows (Veneta, Bickershaw, Paris, Lyceum) and then when you hear a "new" one, it's almost always almost as goddamn good. Whatever they were smoking, I wish I could get some.

BTK, my man, glad there's another Giants fan 'round here! A little bbq, a little IPA, a little GOGD on a Sunday afternoon, that's living.

....has Pure Jerry Hampton, VA 11.9.91 5 lp up for sale. $80.
Features Hornsby.
Oops. Out of stock. Darn. I would like to have that one.

I just stumbled across a new (for me) web site for vinyl...from Tipitinas the famed New Orleans club...exclusive vinyl from James Booker, Dr John, Fats Domino and others tipitinasrecordclub dot com

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by JimInMD

saw one that said Obi Juan Kenobi and Han Cholo with the characters suitably pachucoed out...

bullmoose-dot-com

/p/35537210/jerry-garcia-band-pure-jerry-coliseum-hampton-va-november-9-1991-5lp-rsd-black-friday-exclusive-ltd-7500-usa

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Tough break for your GKs and Brossoit.

Looks like a pulled groin. Those suck.

Yeah, I know. Easy joke fodder.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....but Vegas has goalie depth. And staying out of the sin bin. So far. Evander Kane is still a lil bitch.
#2293 is here.
Like most, I'm going with bonus first, as I usually do. The bonus cover art is cool.
Hitting play.....now.
Dead & Co opened Barton with Minglewood. Hopes were high (time), but they are not DSO'ing recreating it.
Thanks for the linq Conekid.
The audio is free on the toob.
Han Cholo? Ha!
Edit. I second Crow Told Me's comment regarding Garcia's animated vox. And I'm still in Jersey.
We miss you Jerry.
Vegas has some spring in their steps!!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

....looked up the Hollywood Palladium set list from the 10th in my DeadBase. David Crosby sat in from Dark Star on??
The more you know. And I'm always learning.
Go Vegas. Tip ins are the best!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by lebowski99

Lebowski99 - thanks for those lyrics by Nick Cave - excellent. I don't have nearly enough by him, but I do think he is a very powerful singer, songwriter and performer. I saw him once, many moons ago-about 1985, supported by Sonic Youth.

Another great song about Robert Johnson is "Robert Johnson's Wake" by Michael Messer. The original recording is one of my favourite blues by anyone from these fair isles. It also works as a poem - I couldn't easily find them to print off, but they are really good.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 2 months

Dave’s 46 made it to my mailbox yesterday. Looking forward to digging in to this one.

A couple favorites of mine have been in the discussions here lately.

Paris 5/3/72 every song is played so good on that one. I listened to pieces of it for the anniversary.

Kezar 73. Back when I first got on the bus in the 90s, I got my second batch of tapes from a head who I moved around the corner from. He had a huge collection and hooked me up with a bunch of good music. He taped two shows for me that were personal favorites of his - Veneta 72 and Kezar 73. Mind blown! Veneta Dark Star ! The Kezar show was really popular with friends. We had never heard much 73 Dead. So many beautiful versions and incredible jamming on that one. Tapes disappeared before long with friends but hearing that show stuck with me. Amazing to encounter such beautiful music like that in the time before there was much information or reference about it.

I’ve been hoping to see that show released. Still on the fence on the box. I just splurged on some other music. 17cds is a lot. May need to sell one of my older boxes to finance it.
Because it’s Kezar 73.
On top of that I’ve maybe listened to portions of 6/10 once. A long time ago.
Gonna have to figure it out before it sells out ! Ha

For now. Looking forward to the new Dave’s on my good speakers. Have a good week folks !

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

In reply to by estimating prof

Congrats on the big win. The GKs didn't even lose their stride, so to speak, by losing their goalie.

Just curious is anyone listened to D&C at Cornell last night. I caught the first few notes of Mingleweir on my drive home. Seems to me like they played a "greatest hits" show of sorts. Would be interested in any comments.

user picture

Member for

2 years 5 months

36 years ago today I was up at Laguna Seca Raceway, for another great day with the Good ole Grateful Dead. The Dead kicked off the show with Sugar Magnolia. Bill Kreutzmann dedicated He's Gone, to the memory of Paul Butterfield. Fun show, cool venue. They filmed the Touch of Grey video that night.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

Holy cow! THIS one goes right up the Dave's Picks charts for me! While the first set is sleepy to my ears, the second disc really got my juices flowing yesterday, and now I just finished the HUGE jam with a non-distracted, full-on-listening session. Wow. At some point during Truckin' I'm pretty sure I turned into the skeleton who is being blown back in their chair by the music blasting from the speakers. This suite of music is like the entirety of my 3500-CD classical, jazz, bluegrass, and rock collection all melted into one CD.

I'll have to save the bonus disc because I don't think I can digest music for another day after that disc 3. I love that when Keith joined the band and started holding down the basic pulse, it allowed Jerry to fly out into space, rather than trying to be the rock in the middle that the others could focus on. Thank you, Donna, for boldly introducing yourself to Jerry that fateful evening.

Thanks, Dave, thanks, Rhino, and THANK YOU, GRATEFUL DEAD!!

Be kind, rewind.

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

I have to second deadheadbrewer's comments. I finally got my copy and listened to the second set last night. That TOO is a mind blower! Awesome sound! WOW!

....but youtoob phish the documentary. Or not. Uploaded two days ago. Focuses on '83-'87 when they were just forming gills. '88 is when they ventured from the comforts of the NE in a box truck to Colorado. By 1992 they were gaining serious traction. They put in the work.
Revisiting the 9.9.72 TOO. The 7:30 mark is where it gets fun.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Vguy thanks for the Phish update, will have to watch that. Still have Colorado 1988 best of tape. Havent listened to in years. You saw them at Hollywood Bowl, I think. Got lots of reading to catch up on.

Wanted to update here instead of '73 Box, my mom did pass away peacefully a few weeks back. It was truly a blessing to watch her in her peace. Dad in hospital now - but most certain he will be ok. He had hernia surgery Monday, and then Tuesday developed a hematoma.

I still have to track down 2 "Death...Mercy" from 1969 and 1970 (?) that were referenced last month, one was 4/6/69 (by Obi-Wan, I think), and the other I think was from Doc 04-26-70.

Have had one good listen to Dave's #46. Hope to get a better listen this weekend.

Hope all are well!

G

user picture

Member for

7 years

Pretty sweet.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Thanks for all the work you do. Tracked down DreamsWeDreamed, will definitely be checking it out. Many years ago I was a member of deadvids dot com. Looked it up it is still running but has moved the site to vimeo, you can still get there by the address given. I received my copy of some lengthy book in pdf. Think I still have, cant remeber the book but was about the early lsd years, cant believe I forgot about them and the book. Fortunately, I fired up a 19 year old computer last week and it still works. Think the book is on that. Will start looking.

Weird, in the last month my town had a young couple open the first video store since blockbuster closed down. They have 4000 blu rays, dvd, and video tapes. They expect another 3000 soon. It is in an old downtown house, I am guessing the couple that started it live upstairs with the store down stairs. Plan to drop by soon. So I have a couple of things on my to do list.

#46 arrived the date of official issue, so since I live near IceCream, it makes no sense his was held up. Oh well, post office here still runs somewhat efficiently. Of course, now mostly junk mail and ads. I dont think I have any official mail come to me at the house, except like when debit and credit cards expire.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-46-hollywood-palladium-los-angeles-ca-9972/081227834593.html