• 1,210 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Golden era Grateful Dead in the most golden city in the Golden State? Yes, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 46 features the complete unreleased show from the Hollywood Palladium, Los Angeles, 9/9/72. Loosen that tie, this ain't a red carpet rodeo - it's the after party that legends are made of. Consistently excellent from start to finish, this West Coast groove showcases tracks that would soon debut on EUROPE '72, solo material from both Jerry and Bob, a riveting iteration of "China>Rider," a couple of Chuck Berry doozies, a bonkers 35-plus "Other One" that hits all the psychedelic highs, and wraps up with a "Casey Jones"/"Sugar Magnolia"/"One More Saturday Night" finale that'll have you wondering why you wore a tie in the first place. Hooray for Hollywood, indeed.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Owsley Stanley and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Oh, and it ships next week so you'll wanna grab a copy while you can.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • daverock

Thinking about it, King Crimson have also had quite a few of their live shows released over the years, too. Mainly tucked away in era defining box sets.

• jonathan918@GD

Yes, they have released a bunch of shows, maybe even a few tours.

Fantastic band to see live!!!

• Colin Gould

I was reading the latest issue of Mojo magazine which has an article about Pearl Jam. They have, apparently, issued around 500 official bootlegs of their concerts. Who knew?

• jonathan918@GD

I agree!

It's truly amazing, and you're right, no other band can provide this kind of enjoyment for fans, or build a legacy like this.

I was a little late to the party. I started getting tapes in 1988 from my older brother, but didn't make a show until 1991.

I always thought more would come out, especially after One From The Fault was released, but i never imagined it would be like this!!

A lucky bunch, we are!!

• daverock

It's truly astonishing when you stop and think about all the live shows that have been released over the last 30 years. I never expected all this when I started collecting their official releases back in the 70's. No other rock band could stand such a schedule.

• jonathan918@GD

Gave #46 a spin tonight and was absouletly blown away!

Fantastic sound. Fantastic performance.

It's releases like this and the current #49 Frost show, that gives me faith there is plenty more gold to mine in the vault

Rock on, gang

• Oroborous

Goodnight Gracie lol

• dmcvt

Just went up a few ago

• bluecrow

BigBrownie - Estimated > Franklins > Jam from 12/4/79 was filler on DaP 31 Uptown 12/3/79. The Shakedown that opened Set II on 12/4 appears to have a gap in SBD so not usable. (Edit - oops, my mistake, Shakedown opened Set II on 12/5).

I'm all in on this pick from the Kiel. Completely unfamiliar with it but I know that I really dig Fall '79. There are some very favorable reviews on archive, including one from the "legendary" capn doubledose. I know DaP 31 doesn't get much love, but it was my second show and its always a fun listen for me - spun it on a drive just last week. Just gonna say that the Jack-A-Roe is my favorite outside of those early '77 versions - Jerry's solo is exquisite. It is a puzzle that 12/1 hasn't been released but so be it. I mean, what about Gainesville? One thing's for sure, basically every release is a surprise to me. Sometime its something that's on my wish list, sometimes not, but always a surprise.

• bigbrownie

has a Space>NFA>Stella>Sugar US Blues tacked on at the end. That looks like 12/04 Uptown Theater in Chicago.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

Golden era Grateful Dead in the most golden city in the Golden State? Yes, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 46 features the complete unreleased show from the Hollywood Palladium, Los Angeles, 9/9/72. Loosen that tie, this ain't a red carpet rodeo - it's the after party that legends are made of. Consistently excellent from start to finish, this West Coast groove showcases tracks that would soon debut on EUROPE '72, solo material from both Jerry and Bob, a riveting iteration of "China>Rider," a couple of Chuck Berry doozies, a bonkers 35-plus "Other One" that hits all the psychedelic highs, and wraps up with a "Casey Jones"/"Sugar Magnolia"/"One More Saturday Night" finale that'll have you wondering why you wore a tie in the first place. Hooray for Hollywood, indeed.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Owsley Stanley and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Oh, and it ships next week so you'll wanna grab a copy while you can.

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

In reply to by That Mike

The Bruins are out.

Congrats to everyone who called for the upset. Which is, well, pretty much everyone. Did not expect it in the first round, though. A repeat of Tampa gacking it up a few years ago.

Mike, Toronto must be partying just as hard as last night. Let’s hope the Kraken can pull off another stunner. Sorry Oro.

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

My Caps took the President’s Trophy a few years back, and also did a first round flame out. Infuriating and embarrassing. A year’s worth of hard work down the drain. I’m still riding the Leafs train, all the way to the last stop.

So, I’ve had one full listen. Played the bonus disc first, I had never done that before. I like the flow and song selection. Bird Song & Truckin’, Cold Rain & Ramble On Rose, all very sweet. Played the full show in proper song order (of course). Not much I can say after one listen. It’s so much fun. How could it have been anything but?? Loved the 45 minute Other One. I will say I like this show better than the ‘72 show from boxzilla. Also, I’m one of those weird guys, into song timings and length (yes I know, longer is not always better, but usually it is!!). I was intrigued by the length listed for OMSN. All I can say is, don’t walk away from the stereo until that track is over. That’s all I’m going to say. Nothing more. Nothing else. Nada.

That outweighs Scarlet-Fire in every department for me. A seamless combination of 60's psych with traditional song. Countless versions from 1972 - 1974 are off the map. Among my favourite live Dead music.

Alvarhanso - it's not the winning or losing that's the problem - it's the taking part.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

I’m with DaveRock on this one - China>Rider for sure. They really hit their stride in 1972 on this one.

Ding Dong! The Witch is dead
Which old Witch? The Bruin Witch!
Ding Dong! The Wicked Witch is dead

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Neither!
My favorite China Cats were in '69 with TC on keyboards. Favorite Scarlets are '76, before they introduced Fire.

user picture

Member for

3 years 6 months

I've sometimes thought that if somebody who had never heard the GD asked me for one track they could listen to that would clue them in to why the band is so special, I might choose China-Rider. It's got a little of everything: some psychedelia, some funk, some jamming, some country/folk. If we listen to, say, the one from Europe '72, we get absolutely fantastic interplay between Jer and Bob's guitars. And it's a really good showcase for everything we love about Jerry's vocals.

I'm always up for a good Scar-Fire, but I do think they're probably less consistent than China-Rider.

Got my shipping notice a couple days ago, still shows "status not available" when I try to use the tracking number. Whatever. It'll get here in a week or so.

user picture

Member for

8 years

Bonus Disk Set list.
1. Bertha -6:24
2. Greatest Story Ever Told -5:33
3. Bird Song -11:01
4. Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toddeloo -7:03
5. BrokeDown Palace -5:45
*** 9/19/72 Jersey City, NJ Rosevelt Stadium
6. China Cat Sunflower- 6:43
7. I Know You Rider- 5:59
8. Brown-Eyed Woman -5:26
9. Trucking -10:24
10. Cold Rain & Snow- 5:30
11. Ramble On Rose- 6:17
*** 9/3/72 Boulder, CO ‘Folsom Field

Crow - I was about to write a post with exactly the same message you wrote re China-Rider. And I would have referenced the same one , from the original Europe 72 album. It's got so much of what I like about the band in a short space....well, what you said basically. The other one that came to mind was the one from 8/27/72.

I also like the stand alone Scarlets. I like the fact that the 77 versions of Scarlet-Fire have such a different feel to them than anything they played pre-retirement - a bit calypso to me sometimes -a World music vibe. Trouble is I'm not always that keen on it! Definitely good to hear now and again though.

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by daverock

Checked tracking this morning, said it was 150 miles away and would deliver by Saturday May 6. My tiny rural PO is temporarily closed for repairs, those who do not get home delivery have to pick up at another PO for a while. And there it was, a total surprise. Just the first disc in so far, first impression. Simply excellent, strong vocals, great Bird Song, Jeffrey Norman has done magic again and of course, it's a Bear to begin with. Would not be surprised if this sells out before 45.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Have had a tracking number since Thursday, but still not tracking. Whatever. I've been in this situation before where it showed up and there was never any tracking. Not confident with the ole USPS. Three weeks ago, had a mail stop for a road trip to Nashville and Memphis. Came home to a box full of mail.

Used to be Scarlet>Fire. Now I'm more China>Rider. But that's like picking which child you love more.

I agree on 5/3/72 and 8/27/72 as standouts, but the off the beaten track sleepers always pull me in.

I was thinking about this very topic over the weekend I had a mystery waterproof device playing while I was on the river.. I have five or six waterproof shuffles and never know what's playing. I think it was 2/24/74, anyway.. it got me thinking about the under the radar excellent versions. For me, a couple that sneak up on you are 5/24/72 Lyceum, 5/17/74 Vancouver and toss in 7/9/89 Giants Stadium simply because I listened to it Saturday night and it's one of those versions where there's is a verse flub and boy did they make hay filling in the empty space with some incredible playing.

Anyway, like someone else in this thread commented, it does a good job of highlighting all the things the GD did that no other band seems to have been able to crystalize so purely, it almost seems effortless but we know better. Man, I miss Jerry.. a 20th century heavyweight.

Love the stand alone Scarlets but there's a few Scarlet Fires I really like, both pre and post Brent. Still.. I could listen to enjoy sequential listens of every China Eleven and China Rider they ever did and never get bored.

That's all I've got.. back to the taboo topics and psycedellic mayhem that makes us all tick.

I’ll take S>F over C>R. I prefer the 77 S>Fs over any other year. The spring tour specifically. Agreed that 72-74 was the peak for C>R. The duo seemed to lose something once the band discontinued MLB during the transition.

That being said, the 6/26/74 C>R from DP12 trumps all of the versions of both combinations. For me at least. One of my favorite pieces of GD music.

The Devils are flying. Hope they can continue the momentum.

....oh yeah Angry Jack. First time I heard that, I think I replayed it three or four times. Still have it on tape.
As a matter of fact, I haven't listened to it for a while, so its going in.....now.
It's approximately 20 minutes long. Same length as hockey intermissions. Imagine that.

I got that about a month to six weeks ago. For years I had the Jam>C>R out of sequence in my digital library, meaning all devices, etc. And I always forgot to fix it until about a year ago.. imagine the frustration....

No right or wrong answer.. no majority or minority. I guess what attracts me to the China Riders is that the progressed or changed more from year to year, decade to decade. It seemed to morph quicker and for a longer period where the Scarlet Fires were seemingly more stable and had less change.

A fun topic certain to draw me out of the woodwork along with many others apparently.

P.S. I loved the redacted passages. Creative harmless humor that seemed to solve whatever problem existed at that moment. Cracked me up. Now where were we.. ah yes.. back to our evil plans to rule the world. If you are at a loss on where to begin, might I recommend the excellent book by André De Guillaume simply titled, "How To Rule the World." It's a must read for the aspiring dictator in us all. (Ooops, should I have redacted some of that?)

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

Was just finishing up Leonard Bernstein & the NY Philharmonic’s recording of Holst’s The Planets while catching up on this thread.
Neptune:The Mystic fades to an end, and now, thanks to you folks; I reached over about three feet to my right, Grabbed Dick’s 12, and am ready for Jam->China->MLB->Rider. Have not played this in a while. Thanks guys!!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Carolina/New Jersey - Carolina in 6.
Toronto/Florida - Toronto in 7.
Seattle/Dallas - Dallas in 5.
Vegas/Edmonton - Vegas in 7.
Let's see how that pans out. Edmonton scares me.
Gonna be looking for game 2 tix tomorrow.
Friday Knights alright for fighting, Friday Knights alright.
I'll be honest though. This is the most interesting quarter finals in at least five years. At least to me.

user picture

Member for

2 years 3 months

#46 is due to be the second installment in my annual plan purchased 4 months ago. I thought that shelling out a year's worth of cash up front would get me something like early or priority access to new releases, or at the very least i wouldnt get it LATER than if i'd never bothered subscribing at all. but, yep thats where i'm at. I got the supposedly "good news!" email on friday, claiming that vol. 46 is "on the way." but here at close-of-business on monday 5/1, and the tracking info says still waiting to receive the item from the shipper! is it the end of the world? obviously not, but still its lame.

...."The Great South Bay Music Festival will run from July 20-23, with Hot Tuna performing on July 20. The festival also features an impressive lineup of other performers, including Phil Lesh & Friends, Gov’t Mule’s “The Dark Side of the Mule,” Dirty Heads, Jason Bonham’s “Led Zeppelin Evening,” Goldfinger, and many more. The festival will close out on Sunday with ex-Allman Brothers guitar legend Warren Haynes & Gov’t Mule, who will perform a tribute to Pink Floyd’s classic album “The Dark Side of The Moon” complete with full “over-the-top” visual effects and laser light show."
Be careful throwing out "over the top" though.
Dirty Heads and Goldfinger are a surprise. Well deserved imo.
Seems like Mister Ayed hasn't experienced the black hole of tracking #'s. There is no jumping the line here. Welcome aboard! And all good things in all good time 😉.

I'm not sure anyone who feels they ought to be prioritised really should be. In fact, without meaning to be unkind, it can be quite comical sometimes when they aren't.
Having said that, it makes perfect sense that someone who subscribes, who lives in California, should get Daves Picks before someone who doesn't subscribe who lives in a place like England. Especially Lowestoft - the furthest point East and cold as a witches teat.
Unless of course they'd like to fly one out special delivery as a gesture of sympathy.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

A terrific body of work, and he was big mojo in these parts. (Weird coincidence, I happened to be at the same hospital late yesterday he passed at, for a meeting with my doctor.)
Always on the cutting edge, the Dead covered Lightfoot way back in the mid-60s.
RIP GL

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by That Mike

I guess that means that a shipping label with my name on it has been printed and adhered to a DaP 46.
Expected delivery is 5/8.

Note that 12-9-81 has both a China>Rider and a Scarlet>Fire in the same show.

user picture

Member for

5 years 1 month

Apples and oranges. Both of these really satisfy and I look at them as different jams for different moods. I live in Appalachia and I must admit during a hike and looking out at the mountains with a China Rider playing is really amazing! Likewise, during a starry night stroll Scar>Fire takes me "there" big time! So, I guess I can't answer the question. lol! And, yes, the Jam>China>Rider from Dick's 12 is BIG!!!! Cheers, gang

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

Has anyone received DP's 46 yet? I received a "Your Grateful Dead Store Order has Shipped" email/notice over a week ago - but the tracking number says it hasn't been mailed yet.

The dead.net website says it is "IN STOCK"

Mr. Ones, nice note connection on Holst, any one who associated with Ralph Vaughn Williams and influenced Benjamin Britten, well, nuff said. Composer William Herschel has a fascinating life story of music and astronomy, some major advances and discoveries star gazing. And is credited with the discovery of Uranus, which I put out there knowing it may draw further comment beyond the tired Star Trek joke. 46 noted as dropped here yesterday, will venture into the second disc later on, reserving further comment until more folks get theirs.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Didn't get an email, but it's up here. Includes 6/10 with Betts/Trucks jam.
6/10 also available on vinyl, 8 LPs

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Wow, what a nice selection.
Even some vinyl.
Not a bad deal for 17 CDs. Like $11 each CD?
Debating but ordered the 4CD on the spot.
This will make everyone happy! HF predicted?
Cheers
Thanks Cousin, I don't look in the store much and it is not on the home page yet this morning.

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Very nice. Thank you.

Once TPTB get around to releasing the 69 Ark shows and the September 70 Fillmore run, my collection is effectively complete.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Nice set. Bought both boxes, cd & lp.

Guess I'll hear from wife when CC bill comes. (I ordered the tubes yesterday also)

Glad to see they worked something out with the two allman brother guys.

Looking forward to this.

footnote - The redone Iowa show (5/13) sounds heads and shoulders above the copy I have in stock. The RFK show I have in stock doesn't sound bad at all, we'll see when new copy gets here. :-)

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Dennis

This looks incredible. A perfect release for summer. I have ordered just the cd box, so far...but I know how it ends up.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by daverock

I guess that means that 7-27-73 will be the bonus with Wake Of The Flood 50th.

Where is HendrixFreak? Hope he didn't faint.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Does everyone think the WOTF bonus should be 7/27?
They should give us at least one of the sweet fall horn shows.
9/11/73 has four songs off the album, plus a Dark Star.
9/15 and 9/17 are great shows and have 6 songs off the album
(NOTE: including whole WRS sequence as one song)

I know not everyone likes these, so I can see not going big, but come on, it’s one of the most unique and cool things they ever tried so we ought to get at least one of these fine shows…

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I agree - I'd like to see one of those shows come out. Something a bit different. Years and years since I heard one- and then it was poorly recorded.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Because Wake of the Flood and 7-27-73 will fit on 2 CD's.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Never heard the first three of the 73 box shows, but got tired of waiting, so listened to them this past week lol.
Have heard the other two, sorta, on an iPad at work years ago, so almost like I haven’t heard them yet lol.
Though I’m stoked and love 73 etc, the picky DH thinks the first six shows of 73 are far better than these!!
These shows are looonnnnggg, and they do have excellent jam sequences, but overall, I’d take the first six.
And only one DS : (
Ok, picky over ; )

Congrats PF, your team deserved it and we will now be rooting for the mighty XXXXXXXX!
AND,
GO XXXX GO!

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

In reply to by daverock

I know what it's like to see these vinyl sets and groan at the prices (whether good or bad pricing).

But what irks me more is when I don't get the set, it sells out and I see the resale prices.

I didn't buy Veneta vinyl (wasn't Investing :-) in vinyl at that point). Now I see the box is 1200 bucks on ebay!!!!

Will it sell at that price,,,? who knows.

But anymore, screw it. My wife makes enough money (though she works 18 hour days). So while the funds are there I'm going for it.

Besides, the shelf looks good filled with all these box sets :-)

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

The horns are actually distracting.
That said, I still listen to them, but don't necessarily need them officially released.
There are better shows from 73 that should come out first, like 12-18-73.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years

In reply to by daverock

With the new box, Dave's 21 (4-2-73) and the PNW box (6-22, 24 and 26-73), this will be 9 consecutive dates released. Cool.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

We got full shows for Beauty and Working mans?
Your probably right, though knowing Dave I can see us getting something that doesn’t make sense lol.
Guess I’m just being greedy ; )

Man those September shows I mentioned are choice though!
EDIT: I know the line has always been to hate on these and I’m not sure why?
Yeah there different, and I understand why some don’t like, but I did the whole tour in sequence a couple years ago and really liked it. I’m a jazz nut so maybe that has something to do with it?
Hell, I think a couple of these shows are as good as the summer ones we’re getting.
They obviously were really into the experiment enough to work it up and try it, and if they’d practiced more, who knows…
I just feel at least one should be released as a historical document…

Yes, 12/18 fo sure but number uno on the 73 hit parade should be the 2 Dane shows!

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

Thanks for the tipoff, that 73 box looks Grate and is a very welcome surprise.

Still waiting on this DaP, with any luck the carrier pigeons have delivered it to my mailbox, low tech.

Be Well People
Sixtus

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

Then found this "secret" 1973 release!--I heard nothing of this release in my e-mail?? I wondered if they weren't going to do RFK for the 50th, given how Dave alluded to the shows a few years back in a, "Yeah, we DO need to get those out, don't we . . . " kind of manner. Got the coffee mug, too, since I never have had a GD coffee mug.

No DaP46 in MN yet . . .

Be kind, rewind.

p.s. Two hours after ordering the big box I received the announcement e-mail!

RIP Gordan Lightfoot. I head him a ton on the radio in the 70's but really didn't pay much attention until about five years ago. It's possible I paid more attention once I learned he wrote Early Morning Rain.. but in my old age I began to realize what a talented songwriter and singer he really was. He had poor health the second half of his life, but lived to 84 nonetheless.. a life well lived.

WTF, finally.. the summer 73 Box set we have been begging for.. the angry mob was successful! I think the date on my Way Back Machine on my Avatar has been set for 6/10/73 for over a year. It finally worked... you all can thank me!! Mission accomplished.

But don't relax just yet. Angry mob, take the rest of the week off, diggers and tunnel builders, keep digging. Next week we hit them even harder for more 1967 through 1970 GD. They gave us the 73 box, I say we tripple the effort and get more primal GD. If that fails, we should have the tunnel built under the vault by June or July. Never give up!!

A happy day in deadland.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-46-hollywood-palladium-los-angeles-ca-9972/081227834593.html