• 1,210 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Golden era Grateful Dead in the most golden city in the Golden State? Yes, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 46 features the complete unreleased show from the Hollywood Palladium, Los Angeles, 9/9/72. Loosen that tie, this ain't a red carpet rodeo - it's the after party that legends are made of. Consistently excellent from start to finish, this West Coast groove showcases tracks that would soon debut on EUROPE '72, solo material from both Jerry and Bob, a riveting iteration of "China>Rider," a couple of Chuck Berry doozies, a bonkers 35-plus "Other One" that hits all the psychedelic highs, and wraps up with a "Casey Jones"/"Sugar Magnolia"/"One More Saturday Night" finale that'll have you wondering why you wore a tie in the first place. Hooray for Hollywood, indeed.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Owsley Stanley and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Oh, and it ships next week so you'll wanna grab a copy while you can.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • daverock

Thinking about it, King Crimson have also had quite a few of their live shows released over the years, too. Mainly tucked away in era defining box sets.

• jonathan918@GD

Yes, they have released a bunch of shows, maybe even a few tours.

Fantastic band to see live!!!

• Colin Gould

I was reading the latest issue of Mojo magazine which has an article about Pearl Jam. They have, apparently, issued around 500 official bootlegs of their concerts. Who knew?

• jonathan918@GD

I agree!

It's truly amazing, and you're right, no other band can provide this kind of enjoyment for fans, or build a legacy like this.

I was a little late to the party. I started getting tapes in 1988 from my older brother, but didn't make a show until 1991.

I always thought more would come out, especially after One From The Fault was released, but i never imagined it would be like this!!

A lucky bunch, we are!!

• daverock

It's truly astonishing when you stop and think about all the live shows that have been released over the last 30 years. I never expected all this when I started collecting their official releases back in the 70's. No other rock band could stand such a schedule.

• jonathan918@GD

Gave #46 a spin tonight and was absouletly blown away!

Fantastic sound. Fantastic performance.

It's releases like this and the current #49 Frost show, that gives me faith there is plenty more gold to mine in the vault

Rock on, gang

• Oroborous

Goodnight Gracie lol

• dmcvt

Just went up a few ago

• bluecrow

BigBrownie - Estimated > Franklins > Jam from 12/4/79 was filler on DaP 31 Uptown 12/3/79. The Shakedown that opened Set II on 12/4 appears to have a gap in SBD so not usable. (Edit - oops, my mistake, Shakedown opened Set II on 12/5).

I'm all in on this pick from the Kiel. Completely unfamiliar with it but I know that I really dig Fall '79. There are some very favorable reviews on archive, including one from the "legendary" capn doubledose. I know DaP 31 doesn't get much love, but it was my second show and its always a fun listen for me - spun it on a drive just last week. Just gonna say that the Jack-A-Roe is my favorite outside of those early '77 versions - Jerry's solo is exquisite. It is a puzzle that 12/1 hasn't been released but so be it. I mean, what about Gainesville? One thing's for sure, basically every release is a surprise to me. Sometime its something that's on my wish list, sometimes not, but always a surprise.

• bigbrownie

has a Space>NFA>Stella>Sugar US Blues tacked on at the end. That looks like 12/04 Uptown Theater in Chicago.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

Golden era Grateful Dead in the most golden city in the Golden State? Yes, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 46 features the complete unreleased show from the Hollywood Palladium, Los Angeles, 9/9/72. Loosen that tie, this ain't a red carpet rodeo - it's the after party that legends are made of. Consistently excellent from start to finish, this West Coast groove showcases tracks that would soon debut on EUROPE '72, solo material from both Jerry and Bob, a riveting iteration of "China>Rider," a couple of Chuck Berry doozies, a bonkers 35-plus "Other One" that hits all the psychedelic highs, and wraps up with a "Casey Jones"/"Sugar Magnolia"/"One More Saturday Night" finale that'll have you wondering why you wore a tie in the first place. Hooray for Hollywood, indeed.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Owsley Stanley and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Oh, and it ships next week so you'll wanna grab a copy while you can.

So are posts about your tracking number and the location or lack of a location of your in-transit new DaP release.

I have a tracking number but UPS is still waiting for the details regarding said tracking number.

Looking forward to another 70’s release. What a grate decade for the Good Ole Grateful Dead.

Speaking of boring sports. Soccer. I’d rather watch professional bowling or professional fishing.

As the wiseman Nelson Muntz often says, “Ha Ha”.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Jack - I couldn’t agree more. A fair bit of hypocrisy here. Example - I recall a week long discussion not long ago about Pink Floyd, a band I don’t care about, but I keep an open mind, and the discussion was passionate, and interesting. So many interesting people post here, on topics ranging from white water rafting to hiking to craft brewing to the significant others in their lives - all interesting. So many great film, music, and book recommendations. Yes, lots of Dead talk, it is the tie that binds us, but thankfully, a lot of other stuff, too.

PS - Jack, that is amazing your daughter plays lacrosse, that is a bad ass sport, not for the timid. I was walking my dog in the local sports park recently, and a couple of pretty college aged gals we’re practicing their lacrosse on the open air arena, and they were terrific. I asked them if they played varsity - yes, and competitive- absolutely! No boundaries for anyone that has the Will and the desire.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by That Mike

"Because of the formlessness"

Yup.

I dont have the entire FW69, but I did get a three disc compilation a while back at Easy Street Records. I start listening to that today.

:)))

user picture

Member for

2 years 5 months

Hopefully, this whole run will be released as a complete box set one day.. I know allot of this music has been released, but its such a historic run of shows, like Fillmore West 1969 that it deserves to be out for there in complete form. There are no 1971 box sets, so this would be a great place to start. I think it would sell very well.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Hey rockers!!

Just got my tracking number. It's for my missing hockey puck, it's been MIA since Bobby Orr retired. Take that, you puck haters!!

Speaking of 1971............

Probably will not be a complete April 71 FE box. Big chunks released already, plus legal issues due to the "guests" that appeared.

HOWEVER, there WILL be a 1971 box set, one of two possibilities:
1) April 71 non-FE. Trouble with this one---maybe too many repeats? Not as much variety as in the Fall shows.
2) Fall/Winter 71 box. The bootleggers did it already, time for TPTB to make it official???

Either way, bring it on, I'm all in!!!

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.....

Doc
If you spend your whole life waiting for the storm, you'll never enjoy the sunshine......

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 3 months

nothing against beer, nothing against hockey, even nothing against pets and phish. but who ever decided that religion and politics are no-go-areas. and "generally taboo". hey, what are you afraid of?

Use your Google machine to look up "Topics of discussion to avoid".

Politics and Religion are the first two that come up.

So . . .

When any of you go to work, do you only talk about work?
I try to spend as much time as possible NOT talking about work at work…
Since many of us spend almost as much time here (supposedly hanging out with friends?) are we really ONLY going to talk about the GOGD, No! It gets too repetitive here as is….
So we talk about all kinds of interesting things, as friends will do, including sometimes, subjects you or me aren’t that into. But like friends, we just listen, smile and be nice and wait our turn. Hell sometimes we learn or get interested in something we didn’t think we liked, just because it came from someone here we like or respect.

So while some of us have to endure endless posts about certain English bands from within a narrow window of time ad nauseam, or all about birds, or boring books, or World Cup, or tv series ya never heard of, or 1970, 1970, 1970, 71, 71, 71, 71, 71 etc, or Brent sucks, or why does my mail take so long, or why aren’t songs in sequence…or at some point or another, pretty much anything or everything under the sun…is it really that much of a bummer to have to skip a few friendly, often funny posts once in a while, especially once a year when things here are pretty much slow otherwise? It’s like folks who don’t like what their hearing on THEIR radio station, so bitch and moan and bum others out, rather than just change the channel ffs.
NOTE !!! Not trying to specifically pick on anyone or ANY topic, so the above are just what popped into my head, to use as examples, so save the indignation, I’m only trying to make a point, not call anyone out! Which is: next time you don’t like something, think of how many times that person politely listens to your topics….there’s that ole golden rule thing again!

And here’s the thing: is it really so hard for you to not have it always be about YOU, ESPECIALLY when the topic you don’t like is bringing other people together etc,…ya know strangers stopping strangers, just to shake their hand?
Isn’t that perhaps the main thing that’s supposed to happen here: folks who if nothing else, all have the GD in common, and just like BITD at shows, we all came together and we’re kind to each other, shared, and learned from each other, and to get turned on!
Yes the music should be the main glue that binds us, but it’s also about the diversity and culture that’s apart of the music/scene.
I sometimes actually enjoy posts about topics I’m not that into because of the friendliness, bonding, and positive vibes that come from such nice interactions! Sometimes you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if YOU look at it right!
What is the real, main reason you come here? For me if you dissect it, it’s socializing. Personally I’m mostly a loner, but even a lone wolf needs pack occasionally. So if I’m going to socialize, it’s nice to do so with folks who also love the thing I enjoy best, but I don’t expect for a NY minute that that’s all we’re gonna discuss. In fact I’m glad we don’t.

I know one thing for sure, I’d rather come here first thing I get up, all groggy and mellow and see kind folks getting along and putting out a peaceful easy feeling about something I’m not that into, then folks being stubborn, judgmental, and douchey, even if it’s a topic I love and would normally rather talk about.
Oh, and if you just have to sound off about something, do it respectfully, be nice! You don’t have to be a dick just because you disagree!
So PUCK OFF, this is becoming a bummer, I’m going back to bed, or where the water tastes like wine and the climate suits my clothes, cause y’all are becoming a drag…

Oh, and congrats PF, the mighty Kraken totally deserved it last night! Hopefully the Leafs will change history tonight.

user picture

Member for

2 years 5 months

43 years ago today I was up at the Frost Amphitheatre for the start of another great weekend with the Good ole grateful Dead. The Dead were really on this weekend, Garcia's voice was a little rough, but they played great! Put 1982, 1983 & 1985 together at the Frost and you would have a great box set. As far as the setting, the absolute best place to see the Dead. I do wish they would have sold beer there. Fun times!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Oroborous

There have been more posts from a greater variety of people since that chap through the gauntlet down about ongoing hockey posts than there were before. So its arguable that the criticism of hockey posts has brought more people together than discussion of the actual game did. But for different people.

I've always wondered about why politics and religion are taboo - not just here but generally. I've had some great ding dongs talking about those over the years. My mother bless her soul, was a great advocate of what she called "the art of conversation", which basically meant not talking about anything that might cause unpleasantness. The subjects she mentioned were politics, religion and sex. Funnily enough, she didn't mention hockey.

Hey Billy, don’t stop there lol
I’m currently getting into the 88 run, and so far not bad.
Being an 85 nut, always dug those Greeks even if as you say Jer bears throats a bit ruff in spots.
It’s like Jim says: he almost seems to play harder to make up for it!

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

There, at least I started with the GD.
Testing some speakers I just bought this morning. So I'm playing something I am very familiar with.
Nice pair of Sansui SP-50 model, 8" two-way with horn tweeter and ported cabinet. Looks to be the 1969-1971 era model with the wood lattice grills. $30 on Craig's list. Perfect shape inside as the coated cloth surrounds hold up well. Grills are a bit scuffed but overall a Good + pair. Guy had nine pair of vintage speakers all at $30/pr., 6 pair of Sansui, I got the second smallest pair to add to my bedroom system.
But..... (there's always a but) .... they don't sound better than my 6.5" two-way Infinitys! Goes to show, you don't ever know. (there, back to the GD) Watch each card you play and play them separately on your home system A/B against that other pair. But for $30 they sound damn good, just not great. Sounds like a yard sale soon, lol.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

What would the greatest hockey player in history be called if he would have chosen not to play hockey?
Wayne Regretzky

What do you call a hockey player in a leaky barn?
Grain Wetzsky

Why can't a pig play hockey? They hog the puck...

I'll pick on football next. The kind with the round ball. And I like that version. Unless people would prefer to discuss religion?

Tomorrow's the big day!! Who can figure out why?

Doc
Why was the dog who was playing hockey put in the penalty box? He got 2 minutes for ruffing.....

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

They both can be spiritually pure, but usually suffer from dogma

It seems to me we have gotten much better and offend far less often then we used to.

This is a Grateful Dead thread, but topics vary and conversations naturally stray.. I pass on things that do not interest me and chime in on the ones that do.. for the most part it all starts and evolves around the music, the band, the life and times of we intrepid travelers and all that comes with it. We are all connected but our interests vary..

As long as things are polite and don't stray too far i.e. into another orbit.. the world spins merrily along. This latest divergence got away from us because at it's core.. the post that threw us off was not particularly nice, not polite and it soured the moods of a whole lot of people reading it. The pox on bad manners..

A little beer, a little wine, a little sports, a little window pane is alright with me. Sometimes someone loses their car at a show it doesn't find it until the next week.. makes for a great story. I do like hearing and checking out some of the non-GD music ideas that spawn from these threads, they usually circle back to the core conversation pretty quickly. In this world of trouble, what you guys and gals post here is almost always interesting and moves the conversation forward. Keep it coming folks, just don't piss on somebody else's parade.

Hope that's ok to say.. really.. there is stuff to learn here in between the drums, space and mayhem. That's all I've got.

Dicks Picks 18.. goodness, that is one great release.. the first one that really opened my eyes to 1978 Grateful Dead.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

HF here, and clearly I haven't been reading the posts on this release, because all I want to know is:

Has anyone explained why this 3-CD set is $38.98? And why no talk of the bonus disc?

Don't tell me I have to listen to the Seaside Chat!!

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

DAVEROCK, I laughed my ass off when I read:

My mother bless her soul, was a great advocate of what she called "the art of conversation", which basically meant not talking about anything that might cause unpleasantness. The subjects she mentioned were politics, religion and sex. Funnily enough, she didn't mention hockey.

I realized that there are times when I read this thread only, and feel no need to comment. I still like reading everything though.

When it comes to music, I think there are certain bands/genres that don’t go over generally as well on the opposite side of the pond.
As an example, I never quite cottoned on to ‘pub rock’, ‘NWOBHM’ or ‘Northern Soul’. It just seems much more popular on the East side of “the big pond”. However, I never mind READING about these, or any other types of music. I’m quite pleased that we have so many Heads in Europe, and I love hearing from all of them. Keep it coming lads!!

Differences, that’s what make threads like this one great!!
Go Leafs, go Orioles, go Reds from Anfield, go everybody!!

Think I might get my #46 this weekend?? Hoping, but not expecting.

....thats a fact jack.
Fingers crossed the Knights close it out tonight.
No email/shipping here yet.
Apologies if I brought up a certain band from Vermont ad nauseum. But I was, obviously, very excited and wanted to share my enthusiasm with the awesome peeps here.
Scroll on by if it's not your cup of tea. Just don't be a dick. Thanks!

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

Anyone know what's really up with Billy sitting out the "final" tour? Playing drums in a rock band is an athletic pursuit, and often the drummer is the first to go as guys get into their sixties and beyond. U2's Larry Mullen, Jr. is currently unable to go, Aerosmith is going on without Kramer, etc. Which is why Charlie Watts, gentleman drummer, is one of the greatest rock drumming legends of all time. Charlie pushed 80 behind the kit and never missed a beat.

I don't believe the tripe about "creative differences." Even with old new blood in the band like Burbridge, Mayer and Chimenti, the D&C repertoire and style has been well established now for several years. There's really not a hell of a lot of room for creative differences in this context.

They certainly slowed things down enough for Bill to keep up... if the tempos had gotten any more leaden they would have called it, "Wolf Bros."

It must be something else... could it be money, or a deep conflict with another band member? I doubt it. Bill the drummer sat out shows last time around and Jay Lane filled in admirably. I think he's just run out of steam and they didn't announce his absence until 2/3 of summer tour was sold.

Or maybe he's changing teams and joining back up with Phil. Stranger things have happened.

Last several hours:

Eric Clapton: "Give Me Strength: the '74/'75 Studio Recordings (Deluxe)

Greatest, most amazing Clapton set ever. Ton of live shit included as well which makes the title somewhat misleading. Excited to be seeing Clapton one more time in Denver this September, and one week later he's bringing his Crossroads Guitar Festival back around to L.A. The man is going out with fire.

\m/

That wasn’t the Leafs best effort. You can pin that one on the Samsanov. That soft second goal seem to deflate them. Vasilevskiy, on the other hand was outstanding. Now things start to get tight.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

A tale of two goalies.

“Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown"

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by hendrixfreak

40 for the release...steep

Its just that eevveerryytthhiinngg costs so much more.

WHY.

I really wish I knew.

I know: BIDEN! Lets get nutz with politix!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by proudfoot

....a burrito on Shakedown Street now costs $10 instead of $5.
Balloons were still 3 for 20 though. Ugh.
Inflation doesn't apply to inflated plastics apparently.
Lol. I just made a joke up on the fly.

user picture

Member for

3 years 6 months

I, too, am really wondering what's up with Bill the Drummer. "Artistic differences"? WTF?

I suppose there could be a disagreement about, say, who some of the sidemen are going to be or something like that. But you'd think that after all these years, Bob and Micky and Bill would've figured out how to talk through stuff like that.

I'm worried that he's sick. Like, real sick. Sick enough that he doesn't want to talk publicly about it.

I don't think it's any secret that there were long periods where various guys in the band didn't along very well. I kind of thought all that was over. Especially now that it's really down to Just Three Guys and One Last Tour. But who knows?

OK, please go back to talking about hockey now. I'm serious! I don't give a shit about the NHL but I like hearing you cats yak about it. Wish more of y'all were into baseball, but I love ya anyway.

Still waiting on that shipping notice.

Last five, because why not?

Bill Evans: Everybody Digs Bill Evans
TTB: Best of Europe '22
Led Zeppelin: Physical Graffiti
Glenn Gould: some Bach thing, can't remember which, but it was damn good
King Crimson: LTIA

....explaining what he did and why he did it.
He's having more fun playing with The Kids than Dead & Co. Because of spotineity.
He deserves it. Rock on Bill. You tha man.
He's not sick. Looked and sounded grate in that reel.
They played tonight in New Orleans btw.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 7 months

To really appreciate Pub Rock you had to be in a pub. A few beers on a Friday night along with Dr Feelgood or Brinsley Schwarz, wonderful. Listening to vinyl on a Saturday afternoon not so much, it never seemed to work in the studio. Same with punk in 1976/77.

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

In reply to by hendrixfreak

Been interesting reading all the speculation about Bill the drummer. Just saw VGUY72s mention of his insta, thanks much for that, I'm off to check that out.

And yes hendrixfreak I thought I was imagining it: no talk of the bonus disc. Peculiar. Welp Seaside chat, here we come

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Nick1234

The first time I saw Dr Feelgood was when they supported Hawkwind live, I think at the tail end of 1974. They were so different from the freak ambience of the times that they seemed almost futuristic. The same with The Sex Pistols in 1976. I still enjoy looking at the odd video clip of those two bands - but overall, neither pub or (British) punk rock has lasted well with me. I like rock n' roll and blues from all decades - the great music of the1950's still sounds spectacular - but the music that has lasted least well with me is the Brit punk/pub rock of the mid-late 70's.

On the Dead front, 5/7/77 vinyl from RSD shipped yesterday - you surely don't think I queue up for these things - and Gong Live In Lyon 1972 arrived yesterday. That one is a wild, anarchic ride - acid rock with the "rock" bit taken out. If you like hockey you will love this. Maybe.

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

Hi everybody, long time, no see, good topics here, as always. I don't watch hockey, or follow hockey, but if you all want to talk about hockey, or anything for that matter, it's ok with me.
Billy, we all know why you are really leaving Dead and co. it must be really hard for him to play those classic dead tunes so sloooooow. I also hear that Bobby has turned into a real task master, telling everyone how and what to play, and if you have seen any of those Wolf bros shows, you know how slow he likes to play dead songs now. Acoustic dark star? really?
No talk at all about the bonus disc? any one got any idea what's on the bonus disc? just curious as it's only one disc so if they are going to bastardize the other two shows, I hope they release the jams. Sure don't want a bonus disc full of first set songs.
a track list would be cool.

Congrats on your boys being the first to move on. Well done.

You are correct about the Devils. They looked like they were going to be swept, and now they are in command. Nice.

I just grabbed some tickets to go see Billy of the Strings on his next tour. Thanks to all of you who recommended seeing him.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Rhino releasing a Mingus collection. I may only get the cd version. Waiting for word on this years big dead box,,,,, oh and tubes.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

I think at age 76, Bill K has certainly earned the right to gear down a bit, maybe play music more pleasing to him now, and stepping away from D & Co. One of the most enduring rhythm sections in “rock” has always been anchored by Bill, so he has earned his legacy. Happy sailing Bill!

As for Billy Strings, a great choice. Talk about a guy who was a prodigy as a kid (like Chris Thile, Derek Trucks), and has amazing chops. Should be a decent show, Jack. Speaking of Chris Thile, I was planning to see Nickel Creek on their summer tour for a dose of bluegrass, but moving has put a pause on shows for a bit.

Paging the AVs. Paging AVs. Where are you AVs?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by That Mike

....I'm going to see him May 24th. #4 for me. You'll have a good time AJS.
Go Knights Go!!
My Avs lovin cousin has been awfully quiet lately. Steve!!! You ok?

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

1 year

No mention of the artist John Vogyl. Amazing artist and have a few of his posters. Check him out.

I meant to tell you that I was kindly “gifted” a copy of Gorge ‘98 by the group (NAME REDACTED), and it’s first rate! I ordered the two albums you suggested, as well by (NAME REDACTED), so they will be in my rotation in the coming days. Thanks for the good word, and congrats on the VGK - the Jets are a pretty pesky group, so well done. Hopefully, we see you guys in the Final.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

I listened to parts of the latest seaside chat. Dave should be in espionage or something, because he never reveals anything! Chats about the setlist on 46 etc. But, he did say that the bonus disc is pulled from 9-3-72 and 9-19-72, which we knew -- but because both shows have "issues," they're delivering some of what was "salvageable." Recall that the bonus disc must be all original material for tax and royalty purposes, so review the jams on those nights...

Dave also said (am I being compensated for hazardous duty??) that No. 47 is "in the can" and they've started work on No. 48. As usual, all he said on this year's box set is "great things" are happening. Give us a ton of Summer '73 please, along with the Watkins Glen soundcheck with the reissue of WotF...

Okay, took one for the team. Ya gotta love Dave, but as he never reveals anything, the seaside chats have become "extremely optional," if you catch my drift. On the other hand, the OSF is ready to spill on its next release when the last Dead & Co. tour begins. (I gotta believe that Billy K has banked a few odd millions over the past few years (he owes Bobby big time for a late-life job!) and wants to spend it while he's able to enjoy it.)

Ciao!

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-46-hollywood-palladium-los-angeles-ca-9972/081227834593.html