• 1,210 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Golden era Grateful Dead in the most golden city in the Golden State? Yes, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 46 features the complete unreleased show from the Hollywood Palladium, Los Angeles, 9/9/72. Loosen that tie, this ain't a red carpet rodeo - it's the after party that legends are made of. Consistently excellent from start to finish, this West Coast groove showcases tracks that would soon debut on EUROPE '72, solo material from both Jerry and Bob, a riveting iteration of "China>Rider," a couple of Chuck Berry doozies, a bonkers 35-plus "Other One" that hits all the psychedelic highs, and wraps up with a "Casey Jones"/"Sugar Magnolia"/"One More Saturday Night" finale that'll have you wondering why you wore a tie in the first place. Hooray for Hollywood, indeed.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Owsley Stanley and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Oh, and it ships next week so you'll wanna grab a copy while you can.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • daverock

Thinking about it, King Crimson have also had quite a few of their live shows released over the years, too. Mainly tucked away in era defining box sets.

• jonathan918@GD

Yes, they have released a bunch of shows, maybe even a few tours.

Fantastic band to see live!!!

• Colin Gould

I was reading the latest issue of Mojo magazine which has an article about Pearl Jam. They have, apparently, issued around 500 official bootlegs of their concerts. Who knew?

• jonathan918@GD

I agree!

It's truly amazing, and you're right, no other band can provide this kind of enjoyment for fans, or build a legacy like this.

I was a little late to the party. I started getting tapes in 1988 from my older brother, but didn't make a show until 1991.

I always thought more would come out, especially after One From The Fault was released, but i never imagined it would be like this!!

A lucky bunch, we are!!

• daverock

It's truly astonishing when you stop and think about all the live shows that have been released over the last 30 years. I never expected all this when I started collecting their official releases back in the 70's. No other rock band could stand such a schedule.

• jonathan918@GD

Gave #46 a spin tonight and was absouletly blown away!

Fantastic sound. Fantastic performance.

It's releases like this and the current #49 Frost show, that gives me faith there is plenty more gold to mine in the vault

Rock on, gang

• Oroborous

Goodnight Gracie lol

• dmcvt

Just went up a few ago

• bluecrow

BigBrownie - Estimated > Franklins > Jam from 12/4/79 was filler on DaP 31 Uptown 12/3/79. The Shakedown that opened Set II on 12/4 appears to have a gap in SBD so not usable. (Edit - oops, my mistake, Shakedown opened Set II on 12/5).

I'm all in on this pick from the Kiel. Completely unfamiliar with it but I know that I really dig Fall '79. There are some very favorable reviews on archive, including one from the "legendary" capn doubledose. I know DaP 31 doesn't get much love, but it was my second show and its always a fun listen for me - spun it on a drive just last week. Just gonna say that the Jack-A-Roe is my favorite outside of those early '77 versions - Jerry's solo is exquisite. It is a puzzle that 12/1 hasn't been released but so be it. I mean, what about Gainesville? One thing's for sure, basically every release is a surprise to me. Sometime its something that's on my wish list, sometimes not, but always a surprise.

• bigbrownie

has a Space>NFA>Stella>Sugar US Blues tacked on at the end. That looks like 12/04 Uptown Theater in Chicago.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

Golden era Grateful Dead in the most golden city in the Golden State? Yes, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 46 features the complete unreleased show from the Hollywood Palladium, Los Angeles, 9/9/72. Loosen that tie, this ain't a red carpet rodeo - it's the after party that legends are made of. Consistently excellent from start to finish, this West Coast groove showcases tracks that would soon debut on EUROPE '72, solo material from both Jerry and Bob, a riveting iteration of "China>Rider," a couple of Chuck Berry doozies, a bonkers 35-plus "Other One" that hits all the psychedelic highs, and wraps up with a "Casey Jones"/"Sugar Magnolia"/"One More Saturday Night" finale that'll have you wondering why you wore a tie in the first place. Hooray for Hollywood, indeed.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Owsley Stanley and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Oh, and it ships next week so you'll wanna grab a copy while you can.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

HF doesn't post for months, then a double post. Okay, jammies from 9-3-72 are all original songs:
Truckin'
Loser
He's Gone
The Other One
Wharf Rat

Other possibilities: Mississippi Half-Step

And from 9-19-72 (my first show!):
He's Gone
The Other One
Stella Blue
Sugar Magnolia
Casey Jones

Yes, repetitive. Other possibilities: Brokedown Palace (at a stadium show), Bird Song

(Give me a Stella, Brokedown and Bird Song and I'll wet my pants....)

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Repeating here but the DiP 36 has these 3 from 9-3-72 Boulder.
He's Gone
The Other One
Wharf Rat
So if those are not on the bonus disc then... we will see.
Cheers
Go Kraken. Yeah, I'm a Colo. boy but we had our turn.
Shipping notice yesterday for 46. Maybe next week.

Kudos for wading through, bonus points... all I can remember about it was it was by the seaside and the attack by the Haematopodidae. At which point I developed an uncontrollable urge for something on the half shell... What a pity the teases of the specials to come couldn't hint a little harder... pearls of wisdom... but then the kraken would rise up and devour Dave and where would we be. Shipping notice sent yesterday but nothing tracking.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

Seems a shame they can't serve up a Fall Dark Star on the bonus disc, which may have made for a more satisfying release, overall.
Not the Dead, but Dead like, I have been re-listening to the Allmans "Brothers and Sisters" 4 cd box that came out a few years ago. I came to the Allmans late in life, and have tended to pole vault over this release, from the Duane years onto the Warren Haynes ones. But this lineup, with Chuck Leavell, and these discs - the original album, outtakes and live show 9/26/73, with Chuck Leavell are really sounding good to me at the moment.

So my last 5 are that little lot
Live in Lyon 12/14/73 - Gong
The Lost Trident Sessions - The Mahavishnu Orchestra
Starless and Bible Black - King Crimson
The Story of................ - Bo Diddley. That's the mighty Bo Diddley.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

There were two years they "disbanded" after Greg testified against a road manager (?) named Herring, in a drug case I think, (Is it possible he was/is related to the later ABB, Panic, Jazz is Dead, Phil & Friends and The Dead member Jimmy Herring?) and the rest of the band was pissed at Greg. So Chuck was on piano before and after maybe. His band Sea Level is worth investigating. I think I have their first two. And Dangerous Dan Toler was a huge part of their post Duane sound. Great guitarist! All eras of ABB are peerless. The kings of what was termed southern rock.
How's that Mahavishnu Dave? On my ever expanding list of things to keep an eye out for now.
Cheers
Just saw John McLaughlin and Jimmy Herring are doing some gigs. That would be a wowzer.

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

Its a crime that 4/27/85 is not yet released.
What a fantastic show this one is high on my list of lists.
Still no ship notice for 46 as of yet.

Be Well People,
Sixtus

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Just heard Dave spin up the second set opener China>Rider on Sirius. Sounded really good at full volume in my car!

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

I forgot about the 9-3-72 tracks in our hands. So... with the main jammies from that show already released, that favors getting the jammies from 9-19-72, playing right into my hands! Maybe we'll get the Truckin', Loser from 9-3, maybe Mississippi Half-Step (a live fav of mine). Pretty sure Dave will pack that bonus disc with 79:59 minutes of goodies.

daverock -- '73 ABB is extremely hot, at least for me; saw them four times that year and each show, er, changed my life.

dcvt -- thanks for the thanks on my courage in watching the seaside chat. Speaking of clues, isn't it about time to conjure up an appearance by Bolo, who hands out (indecipherable) clues like candy?

user picture

Member for

2 years 5 months

38 years ago today,I was at the Frost for the
second of two great shows by the Good old Grateful Dead. Hopefully these shows along with 1982 & 1983 from the Frost will see an official release someday. Fun times!

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

All this talk of 80s Frost shows brings back good memories. Frost Amp box set, anyone?

I forgot all about those 'filler' tracks on DiP 36! Thanks to whoever called that out. I haven't listened to that in forever. That's an outstanding 50 minutes of live firepower. Makes me all the more excited to get DaP 46, and speaking of which, the 'shipped' notice just hit my inbox this afternoon... I'm guessing I'll take delivery on Wednesday May 3.

4/28. I was actually thinking of that final weekend of April in 1991 at UNLV. That weekend was one long party from front to end...

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

...To speculate about DP 47...?
I'd love an 85 release, how about Hershey 6-28-85 or 4-8-85?
For a box set how about a themed release instead of a venue release? I'd like a New Year's Box... 12-31-69, 12-31-70, 12-31-71 & 12-31-72
Got my shipping notice and have been binging on 72 Dead in honor of what's coming soon... recent playlist includes:
- Download Series #10 7-21-72 and partial 7-22
- Dave's #24 8-25-72
- Sunshine Daydream 8-27-72
- Dicks 23 9-17-72
- Dicks 36 9-21-72
On Deck:
- 9-24-72 from 30 Trips
- Dicks 11 9-27-72
Then I'll be ready for #46

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

Scooter Herring and Jimmy Herring aren't related as far as I know. Jimmy is from Fayetteville, NC, and was just learning Frank Zappa stuff on guitar about the time Gregg testified against Scooter. That was the incident, by the way, that strained relations between the Dead and the ABB for a long time. It put a strain on relations in the ABB for a while, too, which didn't need much help by the mid-70s.

The Jimmy Herring/John McLaughlin Meeting of the Spirits Tour in 2017 was amazing. They put out a single disc of the combined Mahavishnu set from one of the nights in San Francisco that is representative of what I saw. And there's a video of a livestream of the whole concert of one from the Capitol Theatre on that tour on youtoobs. Jimmy Herring and the Invisible Whip for a set (including a ripping Les Brers in A Minor by the ABB), John McLaughlin and the 4th Dimension for a set, then all 9 musicians together for a set of Mahavishnu material that McLaughlin largely didn't play for decades. So good. I took my pastor at the time, gifting him tickets for Pastor Appreciation. But he was next door neighbors to Jimmy growing up, and still remembers when Jimmy got his first guitar for Christmas. So, that was pretty cool to see him have his mind and ears blown by those guys.

Can't wait for DaP 46. Hoping the meat of the Bonus is the He's Gone> Other One> Stella Blue from 9/19. Don't care if repetitive, they have their own flavors. Would take another Bird Song, too, if that's available.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by alvarhanso

....I've been meaning to ask for a while what your avatar means.
And your username.
Vguy came from my GD touring days. Stands for Vegas Guy and my name is Vince, so my crew back then gave me that nickname.
And no. It's not Vagina Guy, which I was usually trolled with re gaming lol. Kids these daze.
I changed my username on PS. Got so old. $10 well spent.
Although, I do enjoy the V. So those kids weren't entirely wrong. They're just jealous.
Boston got 135 pts this season and the "lowly" Panthers forced a game 7. Prez Cup curse incoming again?

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

In reply to by Vguy72

An obscure one, on a classic TV show filled with obscure ones. He's a wealthy philanthropist who bankrolls a multi-specialty scientific research outfit from University of Michigan (the Dharma Initiative) that conducts experiments on the island the plane crashes on. The avatar is an image online of that character, though he's never seen that clearly on the show, and is only mentioned maybe twice. The numbers on it are the numbers that play a significant role over the course of the series. But my buddy and I used to watch Lost and jam as I was learning the bass. We'd often have the projector showing it while we jammed. We even learned a theme from it, and called the band Alvar Hanso & the Dharma Initiative. We weren't the only ones with that idea as we found out there was a band in the Virginia Beach area called The Dharma Initiative. Like the Spanish Inquisition, I bet you weren't expecting that response!

For the record: NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Their chief weapon after all, is surprise. Surprise, and fear. Their two chief weapons are surprise and fear. And an almost fanatical devotion to the pope. Amongst their weaponry...

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 7 months

listening to a record you've played hundreds of times before and you just can't believe what you're hearing? It happened to me yesterday with In a Silent Way. Totally blew me away. Not my wife however. 'What on earth is that crap you're listening to now?' she asked. She doesn't like jazz, sounds sleazy she says. I love her anyway.

Great Britain won the 1936 Ice Hockey Olympic gold medal. Maybe we should try to get into it a bit more over here. Or maybe not 🙂.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

Istshow - that "Lost Trident Sessions" album by the Mahavishnu Orchestra is great - very powerful. As you probably know, the tracks on this were recorded in 1973 for a possible third album, and then languished in the vaults for about 25 years. I am not that discerning when it comes to fusion, as it used to be called, but to me it's definitely as good as "Inner Mounting Flame" and "Birds of Fire".
I was going to say about Jimmy Herring playing on a live cd called "Live in San Francisco" - and have just read Alavarhanso's post. I knew nothing about this and ( say it quietly) don't know who Jimmy Herring is - but it looks worth checking out.

HF - well the Allmans were clearly worth seeing live in 1973, going off this set. I notice there are a few "grey area" live shows from this years available. One of them - Cow Palace 12/31/73, features Jerry, as you would obviously already know. Also, of course, they played at some of the big 1973 summer shows with The Dead. In fact, as I understand it, they may have unintentionally made it more difficult to release those shows officially through getting up to jam. A real pity - great bands at the top of their game on the same show.....but never a good idea to have lead guitarists from different bands jamming with each other on old blues/rock n' roll staples. I can't think of a single one I would want to hear more than once. Or once, now, having heard what they get up to.
Blimey - I just seem to have talked myself out of getting Cow Palace 12/31/73.

Nick1234 - that's exactly what happened to me listening to this Allman Brothers set based on "Brothers and Sisters". I have heard it before, and thought it was alright - but when I played it again earlier this week it was like a revelation. Makes me wonder what else I've got up there.

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

DAVEROCK-loved the Lost Trident Sessions reference. For some reason, my 13 year old Beatles, Grand Funk, Black Sabbath loving self started listening to Mahavishnu Orchestra. Birds Of Fire was the album. Was mystified back then, still love it today. The follow-up album to that was Between Nothingness And Eternity, a live album with 3 songs-42 minutes total time. The 3 songs on the live album were not on Birds Of Fire nor the debut Mahavishnu album.
When Lost Trident Sessions finally came out, Lo & Behold, there were the 3 songs from the Live album!! Along with a small handful of other great tunes. I still prefer the live versions, but that’s just me, Live music is the best music.
To wrap up this (admittedly, non G. Dead) story, Columbia records released a series of “complete Columbia” boxes maybe 20 years ago. Dylan, Miles, and many more. Mahavishnu was one, and there was an extra live album in that box, kind of like Disc 2 of the first live album. How I do love/treasure this CD. In fact, I’m off to play it right now!!
Thanks to all on this site for your patience. We have both similar & dissimilar musical tastes, but that’s a highlight for me. What I’ve also taken note of about y’all is this. Most folks here have a brilliant sense of humor. That’s what keeps us together.
Cheers!!

Edit/P.S. I was lucky enough to catch the aforementioned McLaughlin/Herring guitar-o-rama show. Good God, so magical. I bought 2 Jimmy Herring cds in the lobby, both excellent. One has a fantastic George Harrison cover. I’ll probably play these 2 after the Live Mahavishnu.

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by Mr. Ones

Lucky to get over to The Egg in Albany for MacLaughlin's reputed farewell tour fall 2017. One of the more unusual venues. Long time fan of John's music, saw Mahavishnu Orchestra at American University April 1973, with camera, good photos, down front of that outdoor show under a tent. Billy Cobham drumming was a physical experience. That was just after my first Dead show at the Baltimore Civic Center.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by Peaceful Man

It's never too early to speculate about future releases.

85 is tasty, but if 77 didnt sell out (or did it?) 85 will prolly be ignored.

But again...they never ask me.

My GD shelves are mighty full so I am in no rush, but 47...48...speculate away.

I say a whole lotta GD 68 and 69 for 4 straight releases.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Received my notification yesterday. They definitely changed the format of these notifications. Mine was just a USPS number and that was it. A noticed the Warmer Electric address was listed as New York. Did they move out of California?
This release hasn't sold out either, so I think this really is becoming the norm regardless of release year.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

The discussion had me remembering a show with this billing I saw in Ft. Collins, Co 9-20-86. New acoustically near perfect town sponsored concert hall. ($14.50 ticket) Weather Update was between Weather Report and Zawinul Syndicate for about two years. Wayne Shorter, out on his own supporting his solo album, did not let Joe use the W.R. name and gave him only 5 weeks notice that he wouldn't be coming back. So guitarist Steve Khan filled that spot. Wonderful group but Kahn later said he felt out-classed by opening for McLaughlin and the Orchestra. I think J.M. did some solo tunes then the whole Orchestra came out. Lots of the Birds of Fire as I recall. Later the Zawinul Syndicate would, according to at least one review, "wipe the floor with the Mahavishnu Orchestra". Even the billing reversed with Zawinul Syndicate as the headliner. Not sure who was in the later Syndicate but Zawinul just got better and better.
Sorry, couldn't tie in a GD reference. Jon Fishman, of a band with a name similar to his own, cites the Mahavishnu Orchestra as an influence. The wiki page on the Orchestra is a who's who and who they played with and remarkably quite a shitshow history of personal differences. And so it goes.
Cheers

He was in Aquarium Rescue Unit along with Col. Bruce Hampton, Oteil Burbridge (bass player for Dead & Co), and a few others.

I saw ARU in 2015, here’s some video.

youtu.

be

/0Ymi4ptHMEE

Piece those back together.

That’s Jimmy Herring’s son playing guitar on the first song in the video.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Talk about listening habits, I typically listen to each GD release (those I buy or were gifted) and put it on the shelf, with the intent to hear it again for the "first" time sometime later. This usually works. But as the releases have soared -- basically five shows per year via the DP series, another six in a box, that's ~one show per month, like compound interest I'm getting buried. At this point, if I don't start listening rather aggressively, I'm a goner. Yet one needs to listen to lots of completely new artists and music or your brain becomes a brokedown juke box.

Yeah, changing my moniker to "Brokedown Juke Box." Man, this coffee is good, and so is the sip of tequila I had before it.

daverock -- at Watkins Glen, at age 15, we were already seasoned GD veterans, and two days of big shows took their toll. When it was time for the Big Jam, we walked away. And, from reports, we didn't miss anything! The Band, the ABB and the GD onstage together? Guess they'd reached their limits as well by that time. The daytime shows probably merit release. The nighttime jams, no so much, eh?

user picture

Member for

3 years 6 months

And blessed be they who drop a Python reference, which causeth the morning coffee to spill forth from my very mouth, such laughter it bringeth.

And blessed be the Mahavishnu fans, who remindeth me of that cool Live in SF album I haven't played in a while.

And blessed be the Five Peace Band Live album, with McLaughlin, Correa, Kenny Garrett, Christian McBride, and Vinnie Colaluta, which is similar and very very good as you would expect with such cats involved.

And blessed be the auto correct, which geteth not jokes.

And blessed be the shipping notice, which arriveth yesterday, and whose meaning is known only to Jehovah.

(Uh oh. Not supposed to say Jehovah.) (D'oh!)

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

I attended a ARU show in a small club once

JH walked right by but I didnt say hi

Shoulda...

I did talk with mike gordon briefly in 92

Glad i did that

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Off hand do you know what year it was for the Frost that Godzilla fought Gumby??? At least I think it was the Frost....

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

In reply to by Mr. Ones

For Daverock, he's a guy that I first heard of in a Guitar World magazine from 1997 that was devoted to Southern Rock, which I got for the plethora of Duane articles and transcriptions. At the end of it was a top 10 current Southern Rock type bands to know, and at the very top of the list was the improbably named Col. Bruce Hampton and the Aquarium Rescue Unit. And they say the music is just as weird, but incredibly high level musicianship with Oteil Burbridge on bass and a guitarist to remember: Jimmy Herring. Not long afterward, I got into Phish, and through that portal got some tapes of Aquarium Rescue Unit or Phish shows where they sat in. Then I found out about Jazz is Dead featuring Jimmy playing Jerry's lead lines and lead vocals as guitar lines. Then, the ABB suddenly fired Dickey Betts, and Jimmy was the chosen replacement. He and Derek Trucks have a unique telepathic bond and elevate each other to heights that are just unreal. Turns out, the ABB had tried to hire Jimmy before, even once trying to get him to learn slide to fill the slide guitarists slot when Warren Haynes left the first time, and Derek was too young for his dad's permission then to join. Jimmy left the ABB for Phil Lesh and Friends' greatest lineup, the Quintet, or Q, for five years 2001-05. In 2002, Jimmy was tapped by Michael Houser of Widespread Panic to be his successor, as he was dying of cancer. This plan was interrupted by another offer, this one to join the reforming members of the Grateful Dead at Terrapin Family Reunion in August 2002 at Alpine Valley, and between 2003-04, he was the lead guitarist in The Dead. He did join Panic in 2006, where he still is, but has had a nice side career of jazz fusion instrumental bands that do some pretty great covers like Zappa's Zoot Allures, Mahavishnu's Dawn, the Jungle Book Theme from the Disney cartoon, Sweet Dreams by Roy Buchanan (wow!), Within You Without You by George Harrison (double wow!). He uses only volume pedals and reverb. He used envelope filter and some distortion with The Dead, but incredible tone, note choice, fluidity, jazz notes/scales and sounds. Listen to Jazz is Dead do Weather Report Suite, it's incendiary. Those two solo albums Mr Ones mentioned are Lifeboat and Subject to Change Without Notice are great. I'm obviously a bit of a fanboy, but the guys has killer tone and his chops are just out of this world. My all time favorite guitarist is Duane, but for almost 25 years, my favorite living guitarists have been Jimmy and Derek Trucks. It was crazy to me when I moved to his hometown and got to know people like my pastor who grew up next door to him, and the guy who was his bass player in high school; basically he and Jimmy were the only guys in town who loved Frank Zappa and the Dixie Dregs and Mahavishnu, or at least only guys playing that kind of stuff.

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

In reply to by proudfoot

and I were classmates. Neither one of us liked modern physics very much. We both agreed that attending class just added to the confusion. So we didn’t go very often.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by proudfoot

I recommend Shakti to those who enjoy John McLaughlin. The second side of their first album is a single track’What need have I for this-what need have I for that-I am dancing at the feet of my Lord-all is bliss-all is bliss’ this is magnificent and becomes more so when you hear applause at the end and realise that they were playing live.

Alvarhanso - thanks for that. Obviously a major omission, me not knowing about him. I'll have a look on you tube later to see if there are any clips of him.

Mr Ones - I was more Black Sabbath than the Mahavishnu Orchestra in the 1970s too. It was my brother who bought albums by the Orchestra - he sowed a seed. Another one he had was by a later line up, featuring Jen Luc Ponty on violin, called "Visions Of The Emerald Beyond". Must be about 45 years ago since I've heard that one.

HF - that sounds like a vision of hell, The Dead, AAB and the Band all on the same stage at the same time. A bit like going for a meal and having the starter, the main course and the sweet all served on the same plate.

user picture

Member for

2 years 5 months

Nappy, I recall hearing that story but I don't recall the show, it could have been the Frost. Today on the smoker we are cooking ribs and chicken, we are drinking Sierra Nevada Torpedos and we are listening to lots of Grateful Dead and Blues. Kick it off Louisiana Fog by Charlie Musslewhite. 4/29/71 what a great show, put it together with 4/28/71, what a killer release that would be!

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

In reply to by Colin Gould

McLaughlin has kept his farewell to touring with the 4th Dimension in the US since that 2017 tour, but will return this summer with Shakti, and at some of the shows (unfortunately, not Boston), Bela freaking Fleck will open with a solo set. Talk about musicianship!

Daverock, Jimmy doing Within You Without You at the New Universe Music Festival in Raleigh in 2010 is a great video from a dvd of that 2 night jazz fusion fest at a small club in Raleigh, NC that closed with John McLaughlin and 4th Dimension, followed by an all star tribute to Mahavishnu with Jimmy on lead guitar throughout and McLaughlin only listening, not performing to his classics being played by Scott Kinsey, Lenny White, Ranjit Barot, Zakir Hussain, Matt Garrison, Anthony Jackson, Gary Husband, Wayne Krantz. That was the first time I got to see McLaughlin, and the first time I got to experience Mahavishnu music being played at full stage volume, which is incredibly loud. Also, check out that whole Meeting of the Spirits video from November 4, 2017 at the Capitol Theatre. 3 hours plus of amazing instrumental music. The drummer for Jimmy Herring's band in both is Jeff Sipe, aka Apt-Q258 as he was known in the Aquarium Rescue Unit, and he is an incredible drummer. He was also in Phil and Friends for a bit (but not at the same time as Jimmy); he plays with a small kit, but explores it in wondrous ways as Moon or Peart used much larger kits. He's that good.

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

Please don’t look below if you don’t want to know about the bonus disc. But if you do:

Tracks 1-5 from Jersey City
Bertha, GSET, Bird Song, Mississippi, Brokedown Palace!!
6-11-Boulder CO
China>Rider, BEW, Truckin’, CR&S, Ramble On Rose. Pushing play now!!

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

So besides my subscription, I did my part to help sales by ordering two a la carte Da46 for two good friends. My subscription shipping notice came 4/27 and my a la carte notice came 4/28. Just saying.

For those of you interested in my re-release of Dead Head TV, please sign up for updates on our web site

DreamsWeDreamed dot com

There's a lot more fun stuff to check out in the coming weeks and months.

Last five:

Fleetwood Mac "Bare Trees"
Fleetwood Mac "Lived from the Record Plant 12/15/74" Really a great Bob Welch showcase
Buffalo Springfield debut album
The Kinks "Transmission Impossible- radio broadcasts from 1960s to 1980's"
Santana 3
Thelonius Monk with John Coltrane (their only studio recording)

Currently reading:
"For What It's Worth: The Story of Buffalo Springfield" by John Einarson and Richie Furay

nitecat

The John Einarson book on the Springfield is a good one. He is actually a decent writer, and does his research. I suggest his Gene Clark book (Mr Tambourine Man) and his Flying Burrito Bros book (Hot Burritos) if you enjoy their music, which I do.

In the mid-80s, Bruce Palmer & Dewey Martin put together a bastardized Buffalo Springfield, I think it was called Buffalo Springfield Again, something that pissed off Stills, Furay and Young, who filed a cease and desist. I saw them I think twice, and actually chatted with Palmer one time when I ran into him. At that time he was pretty unkempt, as if it had been a rough few years since the heyday of the Springfield. The music was what you would have expected, great songs done by a bar band. I wish I’d asked about the infamous hearse story in LA, where Stills & Furay, driving in the opposite direction in LA traffic, saw Young with Palmer driving in Neil’s hearse. Talk about a chance encounter. The Springfield was born. I would have loved to have seen them in their heyday.

user picture

Member for

2 years 5 months

What an incredible musician! I heard about Billy Strings here on the Dead Forum , hopefully Ill turn someone on to a real rocker! Check out Junior Brown.

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by billy the kiddd

BTK, he has a bunch of great videos on youtube....check out "My Wife Thinks You're Dead"...also his instrumental tunes playing his Guit-Steel are awesome....

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Heavy Giant King Kong Monkey off the back!

“You’re going to need a bigger boat!”

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by That Mike

....congratulations. The drought is over!
I was watching the Super Mario movie, but I was there in spirit!!
Super Mario featured Donkey Kong, and That Mike mentioned monkeys off his back. Nice.

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

In reply to by That Mike

Big time win. Congrats. Well done.

Despite the victory, Draft-kings still has Tampa as a 2/1 favorite to win the series. Even they don’t believe it.

Hoping for an Oilers close out to make it a great night for all of Canadaland.

Alvarhanso -thanks for the tips about Jimmy Herring on youtube - he's clearly an astonishing guitarist. I have just watched the "Within You Without You" clip - it actually made me wonder if I could be transpose it to play on slide guitar in open tuning. Minus about 3 quarters of the notes, obviously.
I also saw an interesting interview with him on playing with both The Allmans and The Dead. Without putting words in his mouth, he seemed to suggest that the biggest challenge was toning his natural speed and aggression down to fit in with and honour the traditions of the two bands. I will have a look at more shows online of him playing with John McLaughlin. I don't think he's the type of musician I could listen to every day, though, excellent as he clearly is.
It reminded me a bit of the 1980's, and this chap I once knew, who was very into technically great guitar playing - of that decade. The only two I can remember that he liked were Joe Satriani - "Surfing The Alien" I think the album was that he leant me - and Steve Vai. I lent him "Europe 72" in return. He was polite - but underwhelmed. I was also polite - but a bit overwhelmed.
All worth checking out though/

Thanks for the pointer to some great stuff. Loved "My Wife Thinks You're Dead".

Anyone fat in the Junior collection department and would like to share/trade?

I only have two songs by him currently,,, Dead wife which I got off utube and Highway Patrol.

This is one of the great things about this forum, not hockey :-), but pointers to new music.

thanks all!

Thatmike, thanks for the recomendations for the Gene Clark and Burrritos books, I didn't know he wrote those. I read some amazon reviews of Tamborine man that weren't very positive. I do like the Springfield book, although it leans heavily on Richie Furey's point of view. I guess that's better than noone from the band commenting. Did yo like Tamborine man?

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by nitecat

I did enjoy the Gene Clark book. I’d read other Byrds books in the past (Johnny Rogan wrote a comprehensive one called Timeless Flight), but this one dialled in on Clark, including his post-Byrds career. He really was an under appreciated songwriter during his lifetime, and it took people like Robert Plant to get him the exposure he was due. The Burritos book was a good read, too, as there is not much written about them, although I have a number of books on Gram Parsons.
I’ve read scores of music bios, I find it a fascinating way of life.
Enjoy!

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-46-hollywood-palladium-los-angeles-ca-9972/081227834593.html