• 1,210 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Golden era Grateful Dead in the most golden city in the Golden State? Yes, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 46 features the complete unreleased show from the Hollywood Palladium, Los Angeles, 9/9/72. Loosen that tie, this ain't a red carpet rodeo - it's the after party that legends are made of. Consistently excellent from start to finish, this West Coast groove showcases tracks that would soon debut on EUROPE '72, solo material from both Jerry and Bob, a riveting iteration of "China>Rider," a couple of Chuck Berry doozies, a bonkers 35-plus "Other One" that hits all the psychedelic highs, and wraps up with a "Casey Jones"/"Sugar Magnolia"/"One More Saturday Night" finale that'll have you wondering why you wore a tie in the first place. Hooray for Hollywood, indeed.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Owsley Stanley and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Oh, and it ships next week so you'll wanna grab a copy while you can.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • daverock

Thinking about it, King Crimson have also had quite a few of their live shows released over the years, too. Mainly tucked away in era defining box sets.

• jonathan918@GD

Yes, they have released a bunch of shows, maybe even a few tours.

Fantastic band to see live!!!

• Colin Gould

I was reading the latest issue of Mojo magazine which has an article about Pearl Jam. They have, apparently, issued around 500 official bootlegs of their concerts. Who knew?

• jonathan918@GD

I agree!

It's truly amazing, and you're right, no other band can provide this kind of enjoyment for fans, or build a legacy like this.

I was a little late to the party. I started getting tapes in 1988 from my older brother, but didn't make a show until 1991.

I always thought more would come out, especially after One From The Fault was released, but i never imagined it would be like this!!

A lucky bunch, we are!!

• daverock

It's truly astonishing when you stop and think about all the live shows that have been released over the last 30 years. I never expected all this when I started collecting their official releases back in the 70's. No other rock band could stand such a schedule.

• jonathan918@GD

Gave #46 a spin tonight and was absouletly blown away!

Fantastic sound. Fantastic performance.

It's releases like this and the current #49 Frost show, that gives me faith there is plenty more gold to mine in the vault

Rock on, gang

• Oroborous

Goodnight Gracie lol

• dmcvt

Just went up a few ago

• bluecrow

BigBrownie - Estimated > Franklins > Jam from 12/4/79 was filler on DaP 31 Uptown 12/3/79. The Shakedown that opened Set II on 12/4 appears to have a gap in SBD so not usable. (Edit - oops, my mistake, Shakedown opened Set II on 12/5).

I'm all in on this pick from the Kiel. Completely unfamiliar with it but I know that I really dig Fall '79. There are some very favorable reviews on archive, including one from the "legendary" capn doubledose. I know DaP 31 doesn't get much love, but it was my second show and its always a fun listen for me - spun it on a drive just last week. Just gonna say that the Jack-A-Roe is my favorite outside of those early '77 versions - Jerry's solo is exquisite. It is a puzzle that 12/1 hasn't been released but so be it. I mean, what about Gainesville? One thing's for sure, basically every release is a surprise to me. Sometime its something that's on my wish list, sometimes not, but always a surprise.

• bigbrownie

has a Space>NFA>Stella>Sugar US Blues tacked on at the end. That looks like 12/04 Uptown Theater in Chicago.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

Golden era Grateful Dead in the most golden city in the Golden State? Yes, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 46 features the complete unreleased show from the Hollywood Palladium, Los Angeles, 9/9/72. Loosen that tie, this ain't a red carpet rodeo - it's the after party that legends are made of. Consistently excellent from start to finish, this West Coast groove showcases tracks that would soon debut on EUROPE '72, solo material from both Jerry and Bob, a riveting iteration of "China>Rider," a couple of Chuck Berry doozies, a bonkers 35-plus "Other One" that hits all the psychedelic highs, and wraps up with a "Casey Jones"/"Sugar Magnolia"/"One More Saturday Night" finale that'll have you wondering why you wore a tie in the first place. Hooray for Hollywood, indeed.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Owsley Stanley and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Oh, and it ships next week so you'll wanna grab a copy while you can.

user picture

Member for

1 year 9 months

Can someone please explain to me why, just why did he have to stick the BEW after the China-Rider? This is the kind of thing that just makes me nuts! Why not just leave them in the order they were played? Everyone sits in order except that one! I just don't get it.

#5549 arrived here in the Mohawk Valley on 5/1, I guess I'm lucky this time.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

What Jim said…

Joey: I bet it’s to alternate Jer/Bob songs…?

user picture

Member for

1 year 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Okay, maybe. I still don't like it though. ;)

And another for what Jim said.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Received today in the north mid-eastern part of the US. I always take a picture of the cover to let everyone I know I received the new Dead. My one friend without me asking txt back, Corey Feldman?? About the cover art hehehehe. I know there's been some speculation on whom it might be....

Any how digging 5/2/1970...its a mans world(Pig doing JB)...can you sing that, say that now a days? Peace to all...

user picture

Member for

11 years 10 months

Ah the worst of all the game 7's. My NY Rangers did not show up at all.....Still shocked that Billy won't be making that last go round with Dead & Co. I bought tix for CitiField back in September for upcoming June show. I was only in it to see Billy along with Mickey & Bob one last time. Otherwise the slow pace almost kills it for me. I'm heading out to New Orleans for Jazz Fest tomorrow. Hitting the Fairgrounds on Thursday & Friday. Saturday night JRAD for me. I'm wondering if anyone knows if Billy will play one last show this Saturday at Jazz Fest as Dead Co headlines. If so, I'll make it 3 days at the Fairgrounds

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

In reply to by reijo29

Pristine Recordings. Peak Year. Birthday Show.
Might need to find the tractor fuel for this one!!

This is how we DaP!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 5 months

Summer 73 Box? Where is my wallet? Great, I like It.

China/Rider, as good as Europe 72 version is, the DP 12 version has something different that I like more.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I am still waiting on my DaP 46, with a projected delivery date for tomorrow (5/3/23). I am certainly up for this show and the bonus disc. I did not scroll back to far to see if anyone posted the tracklist from the bonus disc but I think I saw a reference to a few songs from it as I scrolled. I know Dave L. said the material is pulled from two shows (9/2/72 and I can't recall the other), so it wail be cool either way.

As for the Summer 73 box, I bought it as soon as I saw it was announced. I was on my lunch break at work and and I put on YouTube only to see the Dave L. video in my feed. I played that and went right on to Dead.net to make my purchase. I have heard 6/10/73, but I have to admit, I have not heard the other shows. I think I will do as I always do and wait for the box before listening to them. I feel like that is a fun way to experience the recordings.

user picture

Member for

5 years 1 month

Has arrived in Western Maryland! Started with bonus disc, and as you can imagine, the sound is fantastic!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I have also been speculating what may be added to WOTF 50th. My first thought was to put a some of the September shows with the horns. I do have mixed feelings on those performances as when I listened to some of those it didn't jive with me. However, I listened those shows a long time ago and I had high expectations. Since I had already heard the Branford sit-ins from the 90s, that was my standard of comparison. It might be worth me revisiting those shows again regardless if they make their way on to WOTF.

Yet the other thought I have for the extra material for the WOTF 50th is selections from some of the early 1973 shows. There are few shows that are not complete in the vault. *One in particular (2/19) had a portion of this show that got released for 30 Days of Dead a few years back. It contained a He's Gone > Truckin' > The Other One that was really good. That would be nice to have as extra material. (edited for correct show date and song sequence)

Now if the crew would go all out, they could release another complete show as bonus material. I could see 2/9/73 getting the honor as it has so many debuts. However my dream would be 2/15/73. That was one of my first tapes ( I did have 2/9/73 too), which got a lot of playing time back in the day.

In the end it is all good. I know I will be busy with Summer 73 box set. Plus with 2 more DaP on the way this year, anything extra added to WOTF will simply be the icing on the cake.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

I'm thinking they will stay with a three disc release with one being the WOTF album the other two a live show I'm going to go with 2-22-73 Assembly Hall.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Guss West

We should team up on tractor fuel and a relisten. I hear what you preach

Just sayin

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I was eating lunch at work, scrolling Google News, and saw the announcement for the box, I dropped lunch and ordered within minutes.

I used to wonder if I would ever get sick of listening to the GOGD but I stopped asking myself that question years ago, I am still in awe of this music.

I couldn't always afford to order these big boxes, I missed a few of them when I was a stay at home dad for my twin boys. I am so grateful for this music and that I can afford to bring these official releases into my collection without hesitation at this point.

I don't know the first two May shows, but I am familiar with 5-26 and the two RFK shows. For those that might not know, He's Gone>Truckin>Playin from 6-9-73 is excellent. I can't wait to hear this in great sound quality, the recording I'm familiar with is very thin, not much bass, too much midrange.

Got home today and #46 was waiting for me, what a great day to be a deadhead!

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Not to be confused with Woke. Wake of the Flood is most certainly in play. I expect a stunner...

Do not be tempted to surf the dark web for Woke of the Flood.. ( if you're crazy or stupid, google it's a small world and duff beer, then burn your computer before the FBI finds you). The world will be better off if no one knows this unhappy truth.

Duff beer for you, duff beer for me, I'll have a duff's, you have one too.

Edit: Do not take the brown acid, do not drink the It's a small world water. That is all.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

....look up the official definition. Not the made up ones.
Only the ignorant do that.
My official political post of the month.
Bud Light always sucked. This is not new news, but they trolled the asinine. To hilarious and pathetic results.
Hat trick in Dallas. Yet tied.

user picture

Member for

1 year 9 months

I've been wondering if we will get a Garcia Live Vol. 20 announcement sometime soon. Aren't we due?

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

What is that gigantic bass Phil is playing in one of the pics?
Things has more knobs than I have ever seen, like 13!
Are they all tone controls?
Cheers

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Looked them up. This is the one right before Mission Control.
Also done by Alembic though and started as his red Starfire.
Alembic stripped the red color off and modified it heavily.
Started off with 12 knobs and eventually had 13 knobs.
Called "Big Brown" and is currently in his collection.
His first two are "location unknown". (Oro has it?)
Figures that he would love messing with mods and new stuff.
The inquisitive mind!
Cheers

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

Postal carrier just pulled away from the curbside mailbox, and I ran out to find 70-degree sunshine, new daffodils blooming, AND DaP46 in the mailbox. Hope you all get yours soon!

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Big Brownie was the nickname given to me by a couple of pals when we were 10 or so. It comes from a Felix the Cat episode about a misunderstood bear. The name just stuck. At that time I was unaware of the Grateful Dead. On a side note, I DO make a mean batch of pot brownies.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Phil’s Basses you say, I wish I had one lol.
Actually, I wish I had the Alembic I have, but a five string with a variable rotary pickup selector instead of the four position switch, but I digress…

Didn’t look at what all he may or may not have used in the early years, but in 69 they started working on a ridiculous mod to the Guild Starfire II, which upon completion, he started playing after spring of 71. In the meantime he was mostly using a modded Gibson EB 0. The Guild became known as The Godfather, or more commonly Big Brown.
By the fall of 73 Mission Control was ready, and he eventually used both, often depending on if one was in the shop.
I guess Big Brown had especially delicate circuitry.
But he went back and forth with those until fall 79 when he switched to the Red looking Irwin that was like Jerry’s.
Interestingly, JGs was fully custom, while the bass was one Doug had already. But he eventually didn’t like the sound of that and perhaps more importantly, it didn’t hang or balance right.
I heard Jer never ended up sticking with any Alembic because of the balance?
Then in 81, Phil starts using a rad 67 Fender Jazz bass briefly before switching to a G&L 2000 which he played until later 1982, at which time he switched almost exclusively to Modulus Graphite 6 strings.
In late 89 he jumped again to Ken Smith BT 66s, while using a Frankensteined Modulus for midi, until having Smith modded MIDI basses for space etc. After that I’m not so sure…

Funny 1stshow mentions Brownie Stolen?
Phil mentions the 67 Jazz disappearing, but my understanding is he’s had, or at least has Big Brown.
Mission Control was thought to be stolen, but ended up being “misplaced” in the Dead’s storage somewhere where until 1995 when they moved to new digs. But, supposedly it still was not know of, and ended up in a storage bin that the owner couldn’t afford, so went to salvage. Sounds familiar….?
Can you even image opening some mysterious roadcase and finding THAT!!
Since then a Shop picked it up and redid a few things and sold it to a collector who’s had Rick Turner, Irwin, Wickersham etc all do restorative work on it in 2020…
There’s pictures and a brief write up on it in the cool book: Historical Axes: Guitars that Rock by Lisa S Johnson, which also includes the Pretzel Guitar!

EDIT: there’s a couple cool pics of some of Phil’s basses on page 202 from 5/9/2000 in Jay Blakesberg’s Between the Dark and Light.
Big Brownie is present, but no Mission Control.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

I knew you would know this stuff Oro. In the list his first two basses he played with the GD are the ones listed as "location unknown". Big Brown is listed as in his collection. Nothing about any theft that I saw.
Now that's a GD specific post. Oro shoots, he scores! Thanks.
Cheers

Wow
Oro, that history lesson has totally schooled me in the coolest way.

Thanks for sharing your Phil Bombin' knowledge droppage.

Sixtus

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

arrived today. Listened to the bonus disc first then the full show.

The audio quality continues to be outstanding. The show itself is solid, but I did not find it to be extraordinary. And I don’t care one bit that the songs are not all in the correct sequence. I prefer that to a long, continuous jam being chopped up.

I am interested to hear what others think about the newspaper reviews that were included with this release. I felt it was an odd decision at first, but after listening to the show, I somewhat understand it.

Mike - the Leafs are allowed a little slack after winning round one, but they already put themselves in a tough spot. The Panthers had a much tougher task beating the Bruins, but they remain hot. Gotta win game 2.

Vguy - sorry brother, but we now part ways. Taking the Oilers in this series. Good luck though.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

....you are Dead (get it?) to me. See you in H E double hockey sticks.
Knights in 7.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Vguy72

The old shipping blues continue. Received a notification last week and it just left CA today. Shows delivery next week. Shoot.
How does this release sound to the lucky people out there?

Would love to know how their shipping process works.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

You know what they say about friends and enemies..

An enemy of my friend is a .. forgot that one.
A friend of an enemy is my .... (blaming this on short term memory loss)
A friend of a friend cannot be...
An enemy of an enemy is .. (argh)

Shows there's only one person you can really count on. A friend of the devil.

Looks like my 46 is supposed to show up Saturday. They did play the Dark Star from the next night at the same venue (9/10/72) on satellite radio a couple days ago. One word. Gorgeous. Here's to hoping the 9th is as good. Wonder if we will ever see the 10th come out?

As for shipping and delivery woes.. yes, you are all correct. Mildly frustrating, you'd think they could pull this off to show up approx. on the 1st. That being said.. we have been waiting fifty years, eight months and five days for this to be found, cleaned up and restored, remastered, liner notes written, cut to CD and packaged, boxed, shipped and delivered.. what's another week or two between friends?

To be honest.. when I listened to that Dark Star from the next day, I thought it was coming in this release. I was a little deflated to hear this one will remain just beyond our grasp. There is really only one remedy. Meet up next weekend and form an angry mob, storm the vault, find and rescue the reels, grab Jeffrey Norman (assuming he comes voluntarily, otherwise.. well...) get this remastered, grab Lemieux and get this out hopefully by next weekend if all goes well. A solid plan if I do say so myself. Who's with me?

user picture

Member for

4 years

I have listened to the bonus disc (maybe my new favorite) but not the main show yet. I did read the articles and was initially scratching my head about the second one which was especially negative. After some more thought it does seem appropriate given the point in time that this show occurred. This was the Dead going on without Pigpen while everyone was still expecting him to return. I am currently working on my fourth iteration of the entire Europe ‘72 tour after finally acquiring all of those shows last year. I realized that Pig’s contribution to the band’s repertoire is almost entirely the kind of rocking blues and boogie numbers that the reviewer claims are lacking here.

While the band drives ahead for the time being without the Pigpen songs, some of their audience at the time were probably expecting something more than they were delivering. It takes me back to my own experience with my one and only Dead show in the fall of ‘76 which I attended not as a Deadhead but a general rockn’roll fan. Aside from the endless tuning breaks during the first set, I thought the music itself was excellent but I was still expecting different, unlike the mostly Deadhead audience who knew the score. It took 40 years for me to rediscover the legacy of this band and gain some historical perspective to my own experience.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

There has been almost forty Dave's Picks vol. released since it's only Matrix Mix.

Don't know if they settled on this pick yet, but I'd like to suggest?

Grateful Dead Live at Rainbow Theater on 1981-03-23

Set 2 Bird Song opener, Yes!

Please and Thank you.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by JimInMD

No need to storm the vault, just watch the seaside chat.
If I recall correctly, Dave implies that 9-10-72 will come out.
In the meantime, there is a fairly new Miller version out there in the torrentverse

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Congrats on the game 1 victory. A great game indeed.

Draisaitl's goal from behind the net was unreal. You could actually "see" him thinking about the bank shot before it happened. A four goal night wasted. McDavid gets all the press, but Draisaitl is a jammer.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Curses... Foiled Again...

And I would have gotten away with it too.. if it weren't for you meddling kids.

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

Has anyone received Dave's Picks Volume 46 yet? I received a shipping tracking number 10 days ago and UPS/USPS/FedEx don't recognize it

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

I've passed the issue, and your excellent debugging skills, up the line. Stand by, stay in touch, thank you.
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

As many as half a dozen posts have said they received already. Seem to be from all over the country. My email notice Apr. 27 and that tracking number worked today for the first time. Says I should get it Wed. 10th. The tracking number was not a linque so I didn't know whether to put it in the USPS tracker or the UPS one. UPS worked today. Good luck.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

....should have it Monday. Which works, because next week my work is transferring over to a new OS and I'm going to need something positive to help de-stress.
That reminds me. Need to stop at the dispensery.

You could always buy something else while you are waiting. This vinyl box of 5/7/77 is keeping me happy at the moment. Beautiful sound, no surface noise, great show. What's not to like? Apart from the fact that you've probably already got it on perfectly good cds.

user picture

Member for

5 years 1 month

#7806 is sounding great with a typically hot fall 72 ripper! I hope all who are waiting receive this gem ASAP! Also, I seen that a movie meet up will happen this year with 6/22/91 Soldier Field

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

...with the shipping blues again. Same experience here as what DEADVIKES reports - my shipping notice is 6 days old and yet the tracking info was only updated as of yesterday. I'm in Northern Cal, the package apparently left Fontana this morning at 3:00am, and yet somehow delivery is expected on the 10th. Not a problem, though: Dick's Picks 36 is a recent and mostly unlistened-to recording in my collection, so I have some Sept '72 goodness to keep me warm for the nonce.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Mine arrived Tuesday.

I hope that Soldier Field show gets released as a CD/BLU-RAY set. One of the best shows of 91.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I've been running to the mailbox everyday this week like I was waiting for my decoder ring in the mail. After reading all these posts i decided to check my Tracking # .... Tuesday May 9th :-(

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

I haven't dropped into the deep end yet with this one but while listening to it on the periphery of going about this and that, I'm finding the sound to be perfectly fantastic. Great separation to give a lot of space between everyone. The energy is really up there too. Like they're playing on the east side of the Mississippi or something. Actually makes me want to pull out the St Louis box set for some comparative listening.

Cover artwork is a fabulous fit and immediately took me back to being in LA two weekends ago for Phish's run at the Hollywood Bowl (an awesome venue that's worth the trip). Walking down Hollywood Blvd for Saturday's night show I went a few blocks out of the way to check out the Palladium. My guess is there's something about those streets that holds true nowadays just as much as fifty years ago. A lot of raw energy that never intends to let up. Pigpen must have loved playing there three months prior.

....I was at those Hollywood Bowl shows too! Walked down Hollywood Blvd Saturday before Saturday's show too! Maybe we passed each other.
Great shows huh?
Definitely worth the trip.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-46-hollywood-palladium-los-angeles-ca-9972/081227834593.html