• 1,210 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Golden era Grateful Dead in the most golden city in the Golden State? Yes, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 46 features the complete unreleased show from the Hollywood Palladium, Los Angeles, 9/9/72. Loosen that tie, this ain't a red carpet rodeo - it's the after party that legends are made of. Consistently excellent from start to finish, this West Coast groove showcases tracks that would soon debut on EUROPE '72, solo material from both Jerry and Bob, a riveting iteration of "China>Rider," a couple of Chuck Berry doozies, a bonkers 35-plus "Other One" that hits all the psychedelic highs, and wraps up with a "Casey Jones"/"Sugar Magnolia"/"One More Saturday Night" finale that'll have you wondering why you wore a tie in the first place. Hooray for Hollywood, indeed.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Owsley Stanley and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Oh, and it ships next week so you'll wanna grab a copy while you can.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • daverock

Thinking about it, King Crimson have also had quite a few of their live shows released over the years, too. Mainly tucked away in era defining box sets.

• jonathan918@GD

Yes, they have released a bunch of shows, maybe even a few tours.

Fantastic band to see live!!!

• Colin Gould

I was reading the latest issue of Mojo magazine which has an article about Pearl Jam. They have, apparently, issued around 500 official bootlegs of their concerts. Who knew?

• jonathan918@GD

I agree!

It's truly amazing, and you're right, no other band can provide this kind of enjoyment for fans, or build a legacy like this.

I was a little late to the party. I started getting tapes in 1988 from my older brother, but didn't make a show until 1991.

I always thought more would come out, especially after One From The Fault was released, but i never imagined it would be like this!!

A lucky bunch, we are!!

• daverock

It's truly astonishing when you stop and think about all the live shows that have been released over the last 30 years. I never expected all this when I started collecting their official releases back in the 70's. No other rock band could stand such a schedule.

• jonathan918@GD

Gave #46 a spin tonight and was absouletly blown away!

Fantastic sound. Fantastic performance.

It's releases like this and the current #49 Frost show, that gives me faith there is plenty more gold to mine in the vault

Rock on, gang

• Oroborous

Goodnight Gracie lol

• dmcvt

Just went up a few ago

• bluecrow

BigBrownie - Estimated > Franklins > Jam from 12/4/79 was filler on DaP 31 Uptown 12/3/79. The Shakedown that opened Set II on 12/4 appears to have a gap in SBD so not usable. (Edit - oops, my mistake, Shakedown opened Set II on 12/5).

I'm all in on this pick from the Kiel. Completely unfamiliar with it but I know that I really dig Fall '79. There are some very favorable reviews on archive, including one from the "legendary" capn doubledose. I know DaP 31 doesn't get much love, but it was my second show and its always a fun listen for me - spun it on a drive just last week. Just gonna say that the Jack-A-Roe is my favorite outside of those early '77 versions - Jerry's solo is exquisite. It is a puzzle that 12/1 hasn't been released but so be it. I mean, what about Gainesville? One thing's for sure, basically every release is a surprise to me. Sometime its something that's on my wish list, sometimes not, but always a surprise.

• bigbrownie

has a Space>NFA>Stella>Sugar US Blues tacked on at the end. That looks like 12/04 Uptown Theater in Chicago.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

Golden era Grateful Dead in the most golden city in the Golden State? Yes, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 46 features the complete unreleased show from the Hollywood Palladium, Los Angeles, 9/9/72. Loosen that tie, this ain't a red carpet rodeo - it's the after party that legends are made of. Consistently excellent from start to finish, this West Coast groove showcases tracks that would soon debut on EUROPE '72, solo material from both Jerry and Bob, a riveting iteration of "China>Rider," a couple of Chuck Berry doozies, a bonkers 35-plus "Other One" that hits all the psychedelic highs, and wraps up with a "Casey Jones"/"Sugar Magnolia"/"One More Saturday Night" finale that'll have you wondering why you wore a tie in the first place. Hooray for Hollywood, indeed.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Owsley Stanley and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Oh, and it ships next week so you'll wanna grab a copy while you can.

user picture

Member for

1 year 2 months

The Dave’s discs ship from Carlsbad, CA.
I’m two hours away in Pasadena.
It typically takes about two weeks for the latest release to arrive after I receive the shipping notice.
Got my notice last Thursday.
I know Cali’s a big state but still… that’s some serious postal meandering right there.
Meanwhile, I live vicariously through those of you in other places who have gotten yours already.

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

In reply to by BedHead77

So I just got home from lacrosse and turned on the TV. Not sure what’s worse. Watching my daughter’s team lose 19-3 or finding out that the Leafs blew a 2-0 lead in a must win game.

We’ve got one period to salvage this season.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by That Mike

....dammit.
I don't agree on the "must win game" regarding game 2's. The next game is though.
I've watched movies like this before. Anywho.
Last Five.
The Animals - Retrospective
Phish- San Diego 12.8.94
My Morning Jacket - The Waterfall II
GOGD - Portland 6.24.73
King Diamond - Abigail

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

In reply to by That Mike

I stopped worrying about that stuff long ago. It builds character. She is part of a team and the girls are having a lot of fun. Besides, she was the 3.

Don’t start the Blue Jays talk quite yet. Florida still needs two more. But it’s not looking good.

Mention of The Animals - I sometimes listen to albums from specific years that I have,to encourage me to get things out I haven't heard for a while. At the moment I am digging things out from 1965, and yesterday, that included The Animals E.P. Collection. I tend to overlook them amongst their peers - possibly because they were less guitar orientated. Big mistake - Eric Burden had more R'N'B authority than most of his ilk.

Not like Howlin' Wolf though. A great book I am reading at the moment is his biography - "Moanin' At Midnight" by James Segrest and Mark Hoffman. A truly incredible life really well told. I found out that he used to perform "Smokestack Lightnin'" in the 1930's on street corners with a guitar and two harmonicas on a rack. Apparently he blew them both at the same time, one through his mouth and one through his nose. I wonder why that didn't catch on? His records, especially the early ones he cut in Memphis, now sound so down home as to be surreal.

Clear Dead connection here, too, with covers of the aforementioned "Smokestack", "The Red Rooster" ( rock groups always seem to refer to this as "Little Red Rooster") and "Spoonful" peppering set lists off and on over the years. Maybe others, too.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

I’m certainly not throwing in the towel, that’s for sure. Just sloppy play that needs cleaning up.
As for the other, I totally agree - I had my kids in hockey, soccer, football, swimming etc etc, and saw some big wins and bad losses, and they grew up taking both in stride - equally.
VGuy - thanks for the support! It is only 2 games.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I would love if the audio is in the same league as 11/17/72 (DaP 11).

Would also love if this thing would end up in my mailbox, but I think I'm a good several days away. 300+ shows on my phone and this is the only one I want to hear.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 months 4 weeks

I received an email on Thursday April 27 stating DP 46 has shipped. Today I again entered the tracking number and finally received an update that stated it was received at the USPS depot on May 4. It seems as though the Howard, Fine, and Howard company is in charge of shipping. Is this common for everyone else waiting for Dave's Picks?

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

Vocals only appear in one channel. Why do they release this stuff if it’s not listenable? An earlier DaP had the same issue. Great show but unlistenable

user picture

Member for

5 years 1 month

I did some comparative listening with DaP #11 and #46. I think you'll be happy with audio on #46. My home system is Polk Audio powered by Yamaha and it sounds great to my ears! Enjoy

user picture

Member for

3 years 6 months

The thing about the Animals is that they’re always going to be compared to the Stones and the Yardbirds, if not also the Beatles, Kinks, Who etc etc etc. England was just raining excellent groups on us in those days, and as good as the Animals were, they probably weren’t as good as the above. Hence the relative neglect. But pretty damned good nonetheless! I spose I’ll have to dig out Animalization later.

Right now I’m listening to vinyl reissue of Bear’s Choice. Now, dig this: I went down to my local record store to pick this up, because I had some store credit. Last week, I sold ‘em 7-8 albums I figured I didn’t need, and they gave me $70 in store credit. Today, I went in the store and saw two of those records for sale: for $39 each! Those fuckers. Wonder what they charged people for the other five.

Anyway, the Bear’s Choice reissue sounds great. Clean, flat vinyl.

Looks like my DaP 46 has made it all the way from Fontana to Carlsbad. Should be here in a few days. Passing the time by listening to the ’73 shows from the Northwest box, which must be the most underrated of all GD box sets.

Well, I got one foot on the platform
The other foot on the train
I'm goin' back to New Orleans
To wear that ball and chain

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Thank you to the Bear's and Betty's and All the other ones all and any that took the time for the love of The Grateful Dead to make these tapes that somehow how lasted this long to be cleaned up from what source material is available to give us these releases we all enjoy for so many years. We all know these tapes most if all were never made for release and for most being nearly 30+ years old we are so lucky to get to hear any of these that could be hoarded away, held for ransom, burnt in a fire or destroyed by the ravages of time. I have listened to this 2-3 times already this week there is nothing wrong with any part of the recording that is presented in DP Vol 46.

Been enjoying Tom Petty live at Fillmore this week too, Really good piano solo during a ripping Call me the Breeze.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Sorry I missed ya'? Or, it was great seeing ya'? Eh, no need to get caught up in the details. But great shows indeed! I'm listing to Saturday night as I type this. Neumann u89i pulls. Like I'm right back there. Which was dead center, second section from the top-- crystal clear sound and a light show that enveloped me ear to ear.

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

In reply to by digiboog

That's how Owsley Stanley, their first soundman and recordist always mixed his tapes. I guess you'll want to avoid Dave's Picks 6, 10, 11, 19, 24, 30, or 43, as they are similarly subpar garbage not worth listening to; so send your copies my way, and I'll make sure they are disposed of properly so that no one's ears may be befouled in future by their crazy panning of vocals. Also, you may want to avoid entirely the Owsley Stanley Foundations awful musical archive release project which is helping to propagate such foolishness upon people as Johnny Cash or Doc Watson singing on one channel and all the music maddeningly emanating from just the other. Never mind the genius behind such aural masterpieces as Old and in the Way, which was the best selling bluegrass album of all time for 25 years until the O Brother soundtrack knocked off its perch.

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

Maple Leafs WILL win game 3!! No doubt about the outcome!!
In other news… Last 5:

The Lord + Petra Haden-Devotional
Elton John-Honky Chateau
Nickel Creek-Celebrants
Jeff Beck-There And Back
David Sanborn-Another Hand

That’s all the news that’s fit to print.

user picture

Member for

5 years 1 month

These fall 72 versions are simply fantastic!

It's a beautiful morning here in Western Maryland so I think I'm gonna que up DaP #46, walk the dogs, and take a bike ride on the C&O Canal.

Cheers, gang!

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Looks like mine will be showing up on the south shore of Lake Erie today. For those of you with shipping/tracking questions, it happens to most. They use UPS Mail Innovations, where UPS gets the package, then takes it to the USPS. My original e-mail came on 4/26. No update until 5/1. Then an update on 5/2. Then updates on 5/4, 5 and 6. That’s pretty much par for the course.

Working until 12:30ish, lunch with my brother, then opening up the patio. Could not have timed the arrival any better!

Yes, things can be a little ( or a lot) screwy with shipping notifications and delays and such.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 6 months

Chicago suburbs here. I got my CD last Saturday, April 29th.

My question is on the CD info. When I put the CD in my PC and load it into iTunes, only Disc 4 and the Bonus CD track info can be found. Too lazy to manually load track info. Does this just take time for the info to get uploaded to Gracenotes or whoever runs this stuff ? I know its a first world problem.

This Bonus disc is fire. Love it. Any chance there are any overseas nuggz in the works for an upcoming release; Copenhagen, Aarhus, Wigan, Paris, Amsterdam, Luxemburg.

2545 arrived in the high desert this morning. A pleasant surprise and so very nice to have it for a weekend first listen. Wasn't scheduled until Monday and based on the tracking a big thank you to the Provo hub that turned this around real quick yesterday. Oro and 1stShow, yours could be waiting at the PO as I type!

Enjoy the weekend everybody!

Having just finished listening to Paris 5/3/72, I have to say this must be one of the best shows they ever played. It's all really good, but that sequence of music from Truckin' to Wharf Rat is the heart and soul. Great rocking finale from Sugar Magnolia to One More Saturday Night too. Hopefully more shows from this tour will eventually come out on vinyl. But if it doesn't, I am well pleased with what has come out.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Not quite yet though BC. Would likely have it if it didn't divert from GJ to Denver first where it says it currently sits. Maybe Monday if I'm lucky.
Got itchy for the HCS selections so I tried my tape of Kezar. Wow! This is far and away the best tape I have! The sound rivals CDs. Amazing separation and soundstage. It says it is a digitally remastered SBD but all I know is I got it from an experienced east coast deadhead and tape trader in the late 90's when we worked together here in CO. It appears I recorded it but if it was tape to tape and not tape from CD it is incredible. Had tape speed issues back in the day using two decks which was what we all did before double decks came around. But this one is dead on speed, so to speak. Loving it!
Cheers
Edit: Jeez, what a great show this Kezar is. They always sounded energized at daytime shows. The first show after Pig's death maybe? There must be CDs of this floating around because this tape sounds too good to be true. Stunning!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by bluecrow

Bluecrow, nice sentiment, but 46 is currently in Denver and needs to pass within a mile and a half of our house again going to GJ, then back here…saying Wednesday by 7:00, which prolly means Thursday, just after they close the front, though they’ll log it in earlier, but hey, every now and then from time to time….whatevs, long as it gets here.
But awesome you’ll be able to give it the proper love it needs, enjoy amigo!

BIG STEVE: when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro!
Good thoughts your way! We are everywhere, and we’re with ya, kinda like the Borg ; )

MIKE: it’s the water I’m telling ya…

Europe: everyone knows the biggies, I always really dug Rotterdam.
I don’t know, maybe it was the tulips?

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I was thinking UPS would throw it off the back of the truck in Junction, didn't realize the hand-off hub was Denver. 2 more days built into that. Oof. Our hand off is Salt Lick hub, which then passes if off to the Provo hub which handles mail for our part of the state. For whatever reason, the Provo folks got mine headed south a solid "postal day" faster than usual, which meant delivery today rather than Monday.

Apropos of nothing I was spinning the WOS road trips bonus disc first time in a good while on my drive home from NM a couple days ago and that sequence from Des Moines - Trucking>Nobodys>MLB tease>Wharf Rat>Going Down The Road - was a force of nature/thing of beauty/ass kicking good time. Damn that Trucking is fun!

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

In reply to by daverock

I remember that Record Store Day, getting 5/3/72 home, thinking, "I'll just check out one record, see how it sounds...", and over 3 hours later, I had played the whole thing in one sitting. It was real, and it was spectacular.

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

I've uploaded episode 004 of DTV from July 1988. It features interviews with
John Cipollina
Merle Saunders
and A Walking Tour of the Historic Haight Ashbury - Past and Present.

DreamsWeDreamed dot com

Please sign up for updates and share with friends.

Peace,
nitecat

user picture

Member for

2 years 5 months

I went simple today, grilled a bunch of anduille sausages: beer, Sierra Nevada Torpedoes, Music, you know what it is.. I put allot on my sausage, peppers,pickles , onions, mustard, the more the better. Lets go S.F Giants!

user picture

Member for

2 years 5 months

In the Bay Area, looks great! Dave its high time for a 1968, 1969, 1970 box set, you heard it here first.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by billy the kiddd

....don't forget sport peppers!! Yum.
Prepping for puck drop soon.
Thought about going to the game, but figured I'd bide my time and go to game 5 next Friday. Unless the Knights sweep, which I don't believe they will. Tix average $220 for upper bowl. Comparing prices to the other teams, Vegas is actually on the less expensive side. Go figure.
Noticed Dicks 12 was still in the carousel. Disc 3 it is.
WRS ->
Jam ->
US Blues
Promised Land ->
GDTRFB ->
Sunshine Daydream
Ship Of Fools
That'll work. That Jam is just sooooo good. They ALMOST go into Dark Star. 🌟 Twice.
The cool thing about being keyed into the Grateful Dead for literally decades, is that one can pick these teases out like its second nature. It's a talent formed over time and countless hours of auditory attention.

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

I popped in this afternoon just to see how people are liking DaP46. My copy is now showing Monday delivery instead of Tuesday.

In the meantime, this talk about Paris 5/3/72 has been a godsend... this show is outstanding! And yet I've hardly heard any of it before today, just the stuff on Europe 72. Back in the day I had a copy of 4/8/72 that I loved and then like so many tape traders I also had 5/23 and 5/26/72. These three London 'bookends' came to be the shows from the tour that I knew and loved. Exploring this Paris show has really graced my Saturday...thanks DAVEROCK for shouting it out <3 and I feel like there were others but perhaps that was on reddit

....Vegas getting punched in the mouth.
Guess I need to play some Paris. Unfortunately I don't have it physically. Streaming it is.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

I’ve only seen one other post about the track order. I understand with having to break things up to fit on CDs, and I’m cool with that. But the first thing I did after ripping was to put things back in the original order.
The sound really is great. Props to Bear!

user picture

Member for

1 year 2 months

Number 3513 landed earlier today.
Been grooving to it ever since.
Sounds mint, especially blasting on my Harman Kardon rolling set up (12 speakers, 2 subwoofers).
Great energy to this gig. Audio is crisp, clear, and full.
If this recording falls into the "unlistenable" category, then I'm all for more unlistenable shows being released.

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

In reply to by Vguy72

As you pointed out, it’s likely going to be a seven game series. All the back-and-forth is what makes playoff hockey so exciting.

You can’t go wrong with 5/3/72. My favorite show of the tour.

I passed on the vinyl version because I didn’t want to flip the album twice during TOO sequence. Same reason I passed on the 6/10 vinyl purchase.

See you in Edmonton on Monday.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

....because they're expensive.
I have a budget.
I'll see you there Mister.
I was sucked into records in 1980. Hard.
Everything cool eventually comes around again. But on 180g pressings. Dammit!

Obeah - I am always drawn to the Dark Star on the following night in Paris after listening to 5/3/72. That also came out on vinyl a while back as a stand alone release. I can see how that would not appeal, though - having to turn it over half way through, but it works for me.

I don't think you would be disappointed getting any shows from this tour in whatever format takes your fancy. 5/26 is a real classic, but as Oro said a few posts back, the off the radar shows are great too. I played Newcastle 4/11/72 last week, and Goddamn if that isn't a classic too.

Obviously, I haven't got Daves 46 yet, and equally obviously this doesn't bother me a jot. This business with the codes is a load of bull.... though. I payed as a guest which I guess is why I didn't see it offered. Early bird prices, bonus discs, limited editions, secret codes....the music is great, but I can't say I care for all the gimmicks they use. They seem to like pandering to elitism, which I would have thought was against the original spirit.

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

Birthday Billy, nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile.

user picture

Member for

5 years 1 month

I just stumbled on a Shakedown on utbe from 11/24/78 Passaic, NJ pretty good audio and video! Check it out

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-46-hollywood-palladium-los-angeles-ca-9972/081227834593.html