• 2,500 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Who's up for a revolutionary evolutionary ride? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, NEW YORK 1/2/70 captures the Grateful Dead as they make their first foray from the experimental 60s into their early 70s acoustic Americana period. Yes, this one is a little bit country and a little bit (psychedelic) rock and roll.

When the "Magnificent Seven" - Pigpen on percussion, T.C. on keys - first took the stage on 1/2/70, evidence was clear that the trip was about to take a turn. From their western wears to the twang in Jerry’s “broken-string blues,” it appeared they'd brought the Bakersfield sound to the Big Apple. They worked through much of what would become Workingman's Dead, stunning the crowd with laid-back numbers like "Uncle John's Band," "Casey Jones," and "Black Peter." Just the same, they satisfied 60s stalwarts with magical versions of "Dark Star," "St. Stephen," and "That's It For The Other One." Sonic alchemy, indeed!

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, ​New York 1/2/70 has been rounded out with a bit of 1/3/70 (the subscribers-only bonus disc features the bulk of 1/3/70). It was recorded by the great Owsley "Bear" Stanley and has been lovingly mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • icecrmcnkd

You are not the only one. Sad, but true.

This is copied from

https://www.dead.net/forum/got-issues-your-store-order

——————-

August 30, 2019 - 4:29pm#2
    WHISKYHAWK

Still Waiting For DaP 30 To Be Delivered
    Anyone else having this issue?

Per Dead.net Customer Service, 'Our new warehouse has advised that they have been unable to locate any numbered copies of Dave’s Picks Volume 30. With that confirmation, we have decided to produce a small, separately-numbered run of this title. We will use these copies to replace your missing or damaged Dave’s Picks Volume 30 shipment. Our production team has advised that the new, limited-edition run will be available in 2 months. "

Well, it's been two months and no word, no communication. Very frustrating.
    ——————-

• marye
    send me a PM.
  • JimInMD

Send a PM to MaryE on this site. ..and do it quickly!! that was a long time ago.

• dajokr

Still have not received my DAve's 30 with Bonus Disc. Multiple emails to customer service and no joy. Anybody who can help????

• daverock

Looks reasonable enough to me. The only holes in my collection are the Fillmore West 1969 box set, and the first 1990 box set. I bought the second one, Spring 1990, after quite along wait, as I am not a big fan of 1990. But I was, and continue to be, surprised at how much I like the show within. Every time I play 3/14/90, which I believe is the first in the box, I feel moved to go on and listen to the whole. I keep looking around for the first one, but I haven't seen it for sale anywhere yet. I wouldn't spend a fortune on it, but if its anything like this second one....then I have missed out big time.

A cautionary tale for me, actually, thinking now that I wouldn't get this years box if it is from beyond 1974.

• Diggey
    Default Avatar

I hope I'm not breaking any rules and can delete this if I am. I have some Dead cds and Dave's Picks for sale and wanted to put them up here. I'm not trying to get rich, just movin' out some clutter. Send me a message and payPal preferred. shipping is included for all of them listed. Thanks

San Francisco, The Warfield 10/9 and 10/10/80- Record Store Day CD- $16 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 27- Boise State U, 9/2/83- $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 28- Capital Theater, Passaic, NJ, 6/17/76 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 29- Swing Auditorium, San Bernadino, Ca, 2/26/77 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Fillmore East, NY, 1/2/70 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Bonus CD- Fillmore East, NY, 1/3/70 - $30 shipping included

• kyleharmon

i'll make my official box set prediction here: Summer '90

• JimInMD

Gave this one last spin before the Dave's 31 announcement. This will be remembered as an excellent release with a great bonus disc if you subscribed.

2019 will be remembered as a good year.

• Oroborous

Fall 79, Awesome!
    Nice to mix it up a little, thanks guys!
    Also, like hearing how their going to keep trying more variety.
    But ultimately, like Dave said, not about the set list or what they played etc, it’s about how they played it!
    Personally, I’m not familiar with this one but ifs it’s anything like 11/9, 11/5&6, 12/1, or the New Years run I think we’re going to be happy!

• wissinomingdeadhead
    Default Avatar

FINALLY 1979

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 2 months

Who's up for a revolutionary evolutionary ride? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, NEW YORK 1/2/70 captures the Grateful Dead as they make their first foray from the experimental 60s into their early 70s acoustic Americana period. Yes, this one is a little bit country and a little bit (psychedelic) rock and roll.

When the "Magnificent Seven" - Pigpen on percussion, T.C. on keys - first took the stage on 1/2/70, evidence was clear that the trip was about to take a turn. From their western wears to the twang in Jerry’s “broken-string blues,” it appeared they'd brought the Bakersfield sound to the Big Apple. They worked through much of what would become Workingman's Dead, stunning the crowd with laid-back numbers like "Uncle John's Band," "Casey Jones," and "Black Peter." Just the same, they satisfied 60s stalwarts with magical versions of "Dark Star," "St. Stephen," and "That's It For The Other One." Sonic alchemy, indeed!

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, ​New York 1/2/70 has been rounded out with a bit of 1/3/70 (the subscribers-only bonus disc features the bulk of 1/3/70). It was recorded by the great Owsley "Bear" Stanley and has been lovingly mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Saw Carlo13's post and thought, you know, maybe it's time to give Eric Burdon and the Animals a listen, its been a while...

I smoked my first cigarette at ten
and for girls I had a bad yen
and I had quite a ball
When I was young...

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

With Real Gone Music re-releasing the Road Trips series, after already re-releasing the Dick's Picks series, I wonder if they might re-release that Winterland 1977 box, maybe an all music edition with generic packaging. I don't recall that release being limited edition, so it seems like there shouldn't be anything to stop them. Sure would be cool if they did.

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

In reply to by nappyrags

Nappyrags, thanks for the info about Gus. I had no idea. In my youth I saw it as not a very serious song, I don't know why.

On another note, I just came back from seeing "Echo in the Canyon" a great music film about the musical explosion of 60's southern cali bands all living in Laurel Canyon. Highly recommend.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/30/movies/echo-in-the-canyon-review.html

Speaking of Real Gone.. it got me to revisit Road Trips 3.3 (just finished this morning). I had forgotten the end of that release including the bonus disc.. I completely overlooked the jam out of New Speedway Boogie that becomes a fully formed Nobody's Fault But Mine jam. Spectacular.. not sure how I overlooked this gem of a jam.

So glad this is being re-released.. if you don't have it.. this might be the last chance you have to get it at a reasonable price. It suffers a bit from the early show / late show shuffle, but it's classic nonetheless.

onward.. back to your regularly scheduled St. Stephen > The Eleven. Have a great weekend all.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

JiminMD, I ordered that Real Gone reissue of the 5/15/70 Road Trips and it was supposed to be released on 6/14, however, the Real Gone site indicates that there was a manufacturing issue that delayed the release. I checked because my amazon order had a delivery date between August 1-September 18 and I was like, whaaaat...? Oh, well, no rush, rather get it a little late and have it right the first time instead of get a defective copy and wait for replacement. Just a heads up for anyone who ordered this and is still expecting to receive it in the near future.

Thanks for the heads up on the delay. I did order a spare.. my copy is showing signs of wear, I hate those Road Trip scratchy cardboard sleeves and I would hate to have to one day replace mine at secondary market prices. I'm a little down they don't come with the bonus discs. Oh well.. no bother.

and hell yes, crank out another few thousand Winterland 77's while you are at it. Too good not to have and too good not to have at the original release price.

oh, and check your pm.

....I'm Only The Piano Player.
Album covers I recall when I was a kid. My babysitter had this record.
Decades later, I understand.
Bear with me family.

I ordered the Fillmore 70 RT, and I got a message saying things got gummed up at the works (Warner Bros, I think...)
The overall message, as far as I can tell, is that we will be getting our orders as soon as they can stop being such mooks.

Road Trips 1.2 is still here on this site... and I got the bonus disc, and I just ordered it two weeks ago when (INSERT YOUR NAME) mentioned it! (Thank YOU by the way!!!) It is a fantastic release, if you like 77 Dead.

Peace

user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Listening to a fantastic aud. of 4-27-91 right now and it showcases the magic that can take place in the desert. Good grief, the second set is fantastic. ( I don't have the first set)
The sound for an audience source is crazy good...especially with the Sennheiser's turned up to eleven.
This one should be a candidate for The Normanizing and Dave's treatment...and I haven't even heard the first set...yet.
and if there's filler or a bonus disc...Bird Song from the next night is with Santana and it's one of the best you've probably never heard...but you NEED to...
Vegas day for me. I got copies of 5-30-92, 4-27/28-91.
:O)

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by jrf68@hotmail.com

... . but, thunderheads showed up more often than not at the Silver Bowl. Don't ask me. I'm high af. Eating avocados, listening to Elton. Nom.

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

This is pretty interesting... I always enjoy hearing others perspectives on selected issues, this being one particularly relevant to this forum.

https://www.gq.com/story/clean-musicians?verso=true

Poster's note:
I am not completely sober, have no agenda, no axe to grind.

Do what thou wilt (just don't fry your ass).

\m/

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I was reading an article on bluegrass music in the paper this morning, and got to thinking how little of this music I have actually heard. And that I never even got to hear the Old and in the Way album that came out in the 70s. So I had a look on Amazon to see what's available...and there seems to be quite a lot. The best one is probably the box set which features the both sets from 10/1/73 and 10/8/73...but that seems a bit much for me at this stage. So I have been looking at single sets that don't duplicate this material, but which are well thought of. Being in England, there are quite a few FM recordings out there. Two that have caught my eye are ones called "Breakdown" in the Acoustic Archive Series-although it doesn't say when it was recorded...or Live at the Boarding House 4/16/73.

Any recommendations would be welcome...if not, I will probably plump for a second hand copy of one of the above.
Cheers!

user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

Yes, yes, and yes. Check out Bill Strings...right now. Seriously stop what you are doing, take a half hour and watch these right now. I still dont know how to embed videos after all these years. The last one is a video of him playing in a local music shop with his father. You can see this is some genuine shit right here. All 4 are amazing. Honestly this is the type of stuff that keeps coming out that makes everyone whose ever said theres no good new music from younger generations eat their foot. 😁😆

"Turmoil and Tinfoil"
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fJmzS_Redh8

"Dust in a Baggie" - Live at The Grand Ole Opry
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6CyQftidOw

KEXP - Seattle Logging Road Jam
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub-naDJbKFY

Music Shop Improv Jam Guitar and Mandolin
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zcPKt2-9P7U

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by direwulf

I saw Billy Strings for the first time a little over a month ago.. what a talent and so energetic. Check out Tommy Emanuel too.. Amazing on the acoustic guitar.

As for Old and in the Way.. if you just want to dip your big toe in, I would start with their original LP. As an added bonus, it's got the best artwork of the bunch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_%26_In_the_Way_(album)

Speaking of great Road Trips.. today is the 45th anniversary of one part I of the Wall of Sound Road Trips (Road Trips vol 2.3).

Too bad they chop jobbed it, both shows should have been released in their entirety.. ah, Summer of '74. Comfort food for the mind. I know what I am listening to today.

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

To all the dads out there. One of the most important "jobs" on the planet. Hugs all around!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by direwulf

Thanks for posting those clips of Billy Strings. I have never heard of him, but...amazing talent. I loved the energy and passion in these performances, as well as the obvious musicality. Maybe I should leave Old and in the Way as they were and look see what this guy has available !

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Great article. Thanks for posting the link.

This and the King Weir articles were two great reads. Regular folks, for the most part, just trying to take the edge off. Until everying spirals out if control.

Happy Fathers Day to all.

And it is not a job. I just spent two days sitting in the rain at an out of town soccer tournament. I hate soccer, but she loves it. Watched my daughter not give her best effort and they lost in the finals. Disappointed, yes. But, she had a blast.

I would not trade it for anything.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 5 months

Hey Daverock
The Old and in the Way set with both complete shows that you mention is the one to get. The other 3 legitimate releases, including the original 1973 album, are all taken from these two shows. Also worth checking out is the new Good Ol Boys release from 1975, also featuring Jerry. Enjoy!

Gotta second the last comment. Billy Strings is wonderful, but get some Old and in the Way. Quintessential, must have Bluegrass. The second most influential Bluegrass Band, Bill Monroe being the King. Love the Hobo Song. It sort of speaks to me.

That High and Lonesome Sound.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

There are many greats, but check this guy out.. if you have never heard of him.

Bluegrass, not so sure,, folk, I don't know.. The first time I saw him the words that come to my mind were The Hendrix of Acoustic Guitarists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mucZneRUfu8

He's really fun to see, watch and listen to. Damned Aussie Hell Raisers!

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

3/2/69
3/2/69
3/2/69

user picture

Member for

8 years

...Daves Picks #3, October 22 1971, Auditorium Theater, Chicago, IL... love’n it, plus the filler from 10/21/71 on the third Disc/CD!!!
This Pick is “Primo”, lol, it’s one of my favorite picks from the series! Everyone in the band is just doing their part with Gusto... and I can’t forget to give my love to Norman for his excelent work with the vault recording! Here is a great review of the Daves Pick #3 Release! http://www.talkfromtherockroom.com/2012/09/grateful-dead-daves-picks-vo…
Have a grateful day everyone, peace be with you all my brothers & sisters! 🙏❤️😎
* ‘That’s Otis’, your welcome about the road trip series Vol1 #2 still for sale with the Bonus Disc thru Dead.net Store...🙏
...on a side note, if I remember correctly the ‘Live Tracks’ included on the lastest 50th Anniversary Release is not completely from the 16 track recording masters but from another source as well...

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Eesshh, that was ridiculous.......like ten pages!

DAVEROCK; Old and In the Way is quintessential and one of the greatest and most influential Bluegrass albums of all time! And to think it was a bit of a lark for Jerry...
That Billy Strings is awesome, thanks to whoever turned us on to that, going to need to check more of that out...

JIMMD; yea that Emmanuel dude is amazing! My BFF turned me on when I was back home this spring. Though his playing is amazing, seems sort of a novelty., like not sure how much I could take in one sitting, but that doesn’t diminish my appreciation for his obvious huge talent....

WEED $; Colorado has taken in over a Billion! in tax revenue in the five years since legal Rec weed came on board....I think a Trump will use this issue to push himself over the top next election i.e., national legalization.....

6/15/85; spun this one up this Saturday......slightly disappointing from what I remember....decent show but definetly some slop, rebounded with 30 trips 69, 2/22? I believe it is? Real burner eh!

6/16/90; did this one on Sunday. Was at this show, out of retirement with my old buddy L. Estee, one of the last shows we hung out, and we had a great time. Recall it being a somewhat trippy show.....very West Coast inward energy versus that balls to the walls east coast energy....forgot about that sweet pre-drums jam etc...also neat song list.
God that whole trip was awesome. First time to the promised land; 3 x at the Ex, 2 JGB at the Warfield, and hanging with old Estee for 3 at the Heep! CALIFORNIA, knock, knocking on the Golden door!

user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

Back at you if you're a father. My relationship with my son takes precedence over everything else. Kid never ceases to amaze me.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Two guys that have been together forever. Great duo acoustic work. Here's one their songs and it's about Cowboy Neal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbG9BloE63g

The Persecution & Restoration of Dean Moriarty (On the Road)

Well I can’t understand what is wrong with the man
Don’t he know how he’s acting is long ago banned
Don’t you think it’s a shame, someone tell me his name
If we let him continue things may get out of hand…

Look at him laughing and carrying on
Like a hydrogen manic or an organic bomb
He’s alive like a child, so terribly wild
He has way too much freedom so of course he is wrong, he’s wrong yeah

He was born on the road in the month of July
And he’ll live on the road ‘til he sees fit to die
‘Cause he learned from the road how humanity cries,
How society lies, he sees with more than his eyes

Look at him running don’t he know how to walk
He’s just too damned cunning you can tell by his talk
You can tell he is rude, like a typical dude
If you want my opinion he belongs under lock…

One look in his eyes and you know he’s unsound
There’s no way to faze him he’s nobody’s clown
He’s as deep as the sea and he’s equally free
That’s why I fear him and hate him and wish he were down, was down yeah

Whether riding the rails out of Denver
Or bumming his friends’ cigarettes
He’s asking them all to remember
Making sure that they’ll never forget

So you’re curious ‘bout this man who I speak
‘Cause he tears you and scares you out of your sleep
I am sure that you’ll find, if you open your mind
That it’s you and not he who is really the freak…

So relax for a moment as you would for your hobby
His beauty abounds in his mind and his body
He’s like the setting sun’s hues, or the dust on his shoes
He’s living he’s naughty, he’s Dean Moriarty, yeah

Whether riding the rails out of Denver
Or bumming his friends’ cigarettes
He’s asking them all to remember
Making sure that they’ll never forget

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by LedDed

....WOW. That article was fantastic. Thank you so much for sharing. What amazing perspectives from people who've obviously walked that fine line and somehow made it out the other side. Truly inspiring. And scary. And heartbreaking. But mostly left me with a feeling of gratitude, positivity, and hope.

Thanks again.
Sixtus

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Dennis

Aztec Two Step; damn Dude, haven’t listened to them in years. Love those guys. Actually used to play Almost Apocalypse in a band back in the day! Unfortunately only have on vinyl and the tables not set up, dooo! Yea, another awesome group that most have never heard of. Thanks!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

.... include me in the group of "who are you talking about?"
I could throw Over The Rhine in that hat btw. Ever hear of them? You should.
I found this gem from Captain Fantastic today
https://youtu.be/g_bJhnJlCDg
Philadelphia Freedom came on and my wife knew all the lyrics. And here I am thinking I knew her. Surprise!!

user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

In reply to by Vguy72

The Deluxe Expanded edition of Capt. Fantastic is well worth owning. Not only do you get the entire original album, along with the bonus tracks of Phila. Freedom, Lucy in the Sky, One Day at a Time & House of Cards, but also a recording of the band playing the album live in its entirety and closing out with Pinball Wizard and Saturday Night's Alright. These days people mostly think of all the cheezoid stuff Elton did later, but he really rocked in this era.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by MrHeartbreak

.... but he did bring it.
I'm not one of those people Mr. Heartbreak. So many good songs.
If there was box set news I wouldn't be here.
The 70's. 👍
Thank you tptb.

user picture

Member for

7 years

I think you could by-pass the whole capthcha bull by not signing out. I leave the site without signing out and I never have to do all that baloney. Just keep the site live by changing Web pages at the top of the heading. It works for me.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by carlo13

I stay signed in for the reason you give, but I seem to have to go through the captcha routine if I go a day without posting a comment - so take this as today's post !

Another odd thing that happens when I look on the board, is that if I go into any of the other headings already being signed in-how to put this...If I was to go now into one of the headline categories-"Store" for example, I seem to get signed out automatically. This doesn't normally bother me, as I tend not to buy from the Store...but I am wondering why this happens, and if I will be able to buy from the store when the time comes - with the new box announcement, for example. There will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth if I can't .

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

Thanks for the advice! I do what you suggest but once in a while I get logged out. I think this time was exactly what Daverock said, I checked out the store. It’s been sorta quiet here, like when theires a new thread, so I thought “hmm, maybe I should see if something new is going on” but nope, nothing new and no box 😩
This time the captcha was way worse than ever before, completely ridiculous! Multiple screens with reoccurring pictures popping up. If I had to do that everyday I would not participate even though this is about all the community I have these days.....
But thank you gentlemen for your kind advice!

user picture

Member for

5 years 9 months

I just listened to a really good sound board of this 12/18/73 show. Whoa. I don't think I've ever questioned one of Dick's picks, but I do wonder why he chose the 19th over the 18th. I guess I need to go back to DP Vol. 1 and hear what I'm forgetting. I know he regards the opening Hear Comes Sunshine as the GOAT / BOAT. I reckon he wanted to get that out there. But the way they were hacking up shows in those days, why not go 3 disc on that puppy and include WRS, Dark Star, EOTW, Wharf Rat, Sugar Mags, and UJB?

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

lost my password and can't log in for a few weeks.
Thanks to Marye for her helpin hand.
Best
JJ

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Exile On Main St.

Hi Oroborous, you are right, it has been light here the last few days. Maybe a bit of box anticipation fatigue. I know I have it. We have waited to long since our last box announcement over a year ago.

Took out Dave's 4 last night in the basement wired stereo system. The sound quality on this 76 show is so damn good, with the exception of some weird distortion during Sugaree. You can really where the drums and Phil's base. Good job on this one for Healy. Not sure why this one sounds better than Dave's 18, which is a great show, but from my ears the sound quality doesn't even come close to Dave's 4 or Dave's 28.

Any Dave's 31 predictions yet? I have my money on a 1979 or 1980 show.

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

12/19/73 has its own charms

but 12/18/73 would have been just a _liiiiiittle_ better.

GET RID OF THAT CAPTCHA CRAP, WILL YA?

Agree with the author's view of the Summer of '85 tour. It's like someone is scanning this forum for article ideas..

Good to see they didn't call out VGuy and Keithfan for swinging from the balcony.

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

In reply to by JimInMD

6/18/83

:))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-30-1.html