• 2,500 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Who's up for a revolutionary evolutionary ride? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, NEW YORK 1/2/70 captures the Grateful Dead as they make their first foray from the experimental 60s into their early 70s acoustic Americana period. Yes, this one is a little bit country and a little bit (psychedelic) rock and roll.

When the "Magnificent Seven" - Pigpen on percussion, T.C. on keys - first took the stage on 1/2/70, evidence was clear that the trip was about to take a turn. From their western wears to the twang in Jerry’s “broken-string blues,” it appeared they'd brought the Bakersfield sound to the Big Apple. They worked through much of what would become Workingman's Dead, stunning the crowd with laid-back numbers like "Uncle John's Band," "Casey Jones," and "Black Peter." Just the same, they satisfied 60s stalwarts with magical versions of "Dark Star," "St. Stephen," and "That's It For The Other One." Sonic alchemy, indeed!

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, ​New York 1/2/70 has been rounded out with a bit of 1/3/70 (the subscribers-only bonus disc features the bulk of 1/3/70). It was recorded by the great Owsley "Bear" Stanley and has been lovingly mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • icecrmcnkd

You are not the only one. Sad, but true.

This is copied from

https://www.dead.net/forum/got-issues-your-store-order

——————-

August 30, 2019 - 4:29pm#2
    WHISKYHAWK

Still Waiting For DaP 30 To Be Delivered
    Anyone else having this issue?

Per Dead.net Customer Service, 'Our new warehouse has advised that they have been unable to locate any numbered copies of Dave’s Picks Volume 30. With that confirmation, we have decided to produce a small, separately-numbered run of this title. We will use these copies to replace your missing or damaged Dave’s Picks Volume 30 shipment. Our production team has advised that the new, limited-edition run will be available in 2 months. "

Well, it's been two months and no word, no communication. Very frustrating.
    ——————-

• marye
    send me a PM.
  • JimInMD

Send a PM to MaryE on this site. ..and do it quickly!! that was a long time ago.

• dajokr

Still have not received my DAve's 30 with Bonus Disc. Multiple emails to customer service and no joy. Anybody who can help????

• daverock

Looks reasonable enough to me. The only holes in my collection are the Fillmore West 1969 box set, and the first 1990 box set. I bought the second one, Spring 1990, after quite along wait, as I am not a big fan of 1990. But I was, and continue to be, surprised at how much I like the show within. Every time I play 3/14/90, which I believe is the first in the box, I feel moved to go on and listen to the whole. I keep looking around for the first one, but I haven't seen it for sale anywhere yet. I wouldn't spend a fortune on it, but if its anything like this second one....then I have missed out big time.

A cautionary tale for me, actually, thinking now that I wouldn't get this years box if it is from beyond 1974.

• Diggey
    Default Avatar

I hope I'm not breaking any rules and can delete this if I am. I have some Dead cds and Dave's Picks for sale and wanted to put them up here. I'm not trying to get rich, just movin' out some clutter. Send me a message and payPal preferred. shipping is included for all of them listed. Thanks

San Francisco, The Warfield 10/9 and 10/10/80- Record Store Day CD- $16 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 27- Boise State U, 9/2/83- $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 28- Capital Theater, Passaic, NJ, 6/17/76 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 29- Swing Auditorium, San Bernadino, Ca, 2/26/77 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Fillmore East, NY, 1/2/70 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Bonus CD- Fillmore East, NY, 1/3/70 - $30 shipping included

• kyleharmon

i'll make my official box set prediction here: Summer '90

• JimInMD

Gave this one last spin before the Dave's 31 announcement. This will be remembered as an excellent release with a great bonus disc if you subscribed.

2019 will be remembered as a good year.

• Oroborous

Fall 79, Awesome!
    Nice to mix it up a little, thanks guys!
    Also, like hearing how their going to keep trying more variety.
    But ultimately, like Dave said, not about the set list or what they played etc, it’s about how they played it!
    Personally, I’m not familiar with this one but ifs it’s anything like 11/9, 11/5&6, 12/1, or the New Years run I think we’re going to be happy!

• wissinomingdeadhead
    Default Avatar

FINALLY 1979

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 2 months

Who's up for a revolutionary evolutionary ride? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, NEW YORK 1/2/70 captures the Grateful Dead as they make their first foray from the experimental 60s into their early 70s acoustic Americana period. Yes, this one is a little bit country and a little bit (psychedelic) rock and roll.

When the "Magnificent Seven" - Pigpen on percussion, T.C. on keys - first took the stage on 1/2/70, evidence was clear that the trip was about to take a turn. From their western wears to the twang in Jerry’s “broken-string blues,” it appeared they'd brought the Bakersfield sound to the Big Apple. They worked through much of what would become Workingman's Dead, stunning the crowd with laid-back numbers like "Uncle John's Band," "Casey Jones," and "Black Peter." Just the same, they satisfied 60s stalwarts with magical versions of "Dark Star," "St. Stephen," and "That's It For The Other One." Sonic alchemy, indeed!

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, ​New York 1/2/70 has been rounded out with a bit of 1/3/70 (the subscribers-only bonus disc features the bulk of 1/3/70). It was recorded by the great Owsley "Bear" Stanley and has been lovingly mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

7 years

I forgot to mention that I use the ultra power saving mode on this site. I do this because I don't need color and it saves me battery time when I'm out. This may be the reason why it does not sign me out. It has to be something I'm doing because I never need to do all those pictures. Strange.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by carlo13

6-18-74 in the car today.
As Jim pointed out, ‘chop job’.
Maybe time to revisit with a Plangentization of the whole show. Returned reels?

6-18-76 in the living room now.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grateful_Dead_Download_Series_Volume_4

https://youtu.be/6oh9pu4nsxk

Box Set announcement withdrawal.......

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

The system seems to be operating very slow.

Or maybe they are just trying to drive us away since there is not going to be a new Box announcement this year.

Or maybe Count Vlad is hacking the system in an attempt to get back the reels.

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

Checked out that article on the SPAC shows VGuy posted, brought back a lot of good memories. I was giving the 6/27/85 Crazy Fingers another listen after almost 34 years and once it gets going that is some good stuff. Continuing with the Supplication and High Time. I would be all in for an official release of that '85 SPAC show. While listening to some of the '85 show I scanned the rest of the article - which brings me to the random weirdness.

Over the weekend I stepped out onto my patio and much to my surprise heard what sounded an awful lot like some dead coming from the direction of the neighbors house. I must have looked like the RCA dog to my wife and daughter, who gave me much grief and chuckled at my homing in on the sound of the dead. After listening for a minute, I could hear it was a live version of Row Jimmy followed by Victim or the Crime and then someone shut the car off and the music stopped. While reading the SPAC retrospective and scanning the set list for the '88 show, I noticed the show contains a Row Jimmy followed by Victim. Random weirdness.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Ordered cd and lp copies of Warfield from amazon 2 months ago(+/-). Emails saying it's coming, then coming tomorrow, then today by 8, then sorry we ain't go no lp's and we'll let you know about the cd's!

Bastards!

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Hanging from the balcony wasn't really an option for me- there simply wasn't anywhere to stand or sit. You have to remember, this is the night they crammed 40K into a 25K venue....but honestly there was a part of me that wanted an exasperated Bobby to holler "don't hang from the balcony idiot".

I forgot about the Road Trips WoS anniversary. Those might be the best sounding shows from '74. The Wolf sounds extra crispy. Getting dialed in now.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

....I told keithfan "No! Thal shall not pass!" But he did. He said the gravity was fine. Who am I to argue? Until Phil and Bobby sent us to the corner with no pudding. Smokestack set us on the correct path though.

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

Dennis, the CD is still available here at dead.net, not sure if you knew.

Jim, I will Be On the Look Out for the maroon BMW.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

.... pudding is the shit!
And the Holy Grail from you. "Green. No blue!"
Listening to SPAC '85 currently. Yeah....sounds....drippy.
My Warfield CD came all the way from Germany in between "in stock" and "out of stock" notices.
The next night is Blossom. One of the first tapes I got. Yum.
Dammit David Lemieux! Summer '85 would make for a great box.

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

So have we reached a consensus on what's most likely for the next box set? Probably a '91 Hornsby-era box, right? It might make the most sense. There hasn't been a Hornsby box yet, and it would coincide nicely with the movie meet-up. The digital sound quality should be excellent and musically the Hornsby era is highly regarded. That would be fine with me, especially if we get some good jams, maybe a Bird Song or two? I'm not familiar enough with the era to guess which shows would be good candidates.
I did re-read bolo's clues. complete gibberish this time

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

I am just about 100% sure that when the box is announced we will be discussing it on the DaP 31 thread. Since DaP31 is supposed to drop around August 2, seems like that announcement should come by mid-July, well before the next box set is announced at the MUATM.

...funny, I was JUST listening to that Crazy Fingers > Supplication myself last evening right before the boys went on at SPAC....that '85 show is a lot of fun, balcony idiots included.

Sixtus

P.S. any time a Lord of the Rings / Gandalf reference and pudding are made in the same sentence, this makes me happy

user picture

Member for

8 years

...”I feel thin... stretched. Like butter scraped over too much bread”...🙏❤️💀

...today’s listening pleasure will begin with, ‘Daves Picks’ #5, UCLA performance. I wish I had the Bonus Disc, I’ve long gone sold that CD for some meds...still, this show is a “Killer”!!! One of my top Five Favorites performances released from the Daves Picks Series! (Vault/Audio Quality)...

user picture

Member for

9 years 3 months

You'll be amazed my friends! Every Deadhead will be overjoyed by this box set! Lemieux and Norman have done such a great job with the selection and the quality this time that nobody is going to be disappointed who's a Dead fan! It won't be long now. Stay patient my friends. And the artwork is Primo.

user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

You wrote in your subject: "*Re/ First Boxset 2019".

Are you saying that there is a clue about what the box said is in your post where you go on to say:
"feel thin... stretched. Like butter scraped over too much bread”...🙏❤️💀

...today’s listening pleasure will begin with, ‘Daves Picks’ #5, UCLA performance. I wish I had the Bonus Disc, I’ve long gone sold that CD for some meds...still, this show is a “Killer”!!! One of my top Five Favorites performances released from the Daves Picks Series! (Vault/Audio Quality)..."

Obviously another Lord of the Rings quote, but is ot a clue or do you not really know the box set? Just curious

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 1 month

I couldn't wait any longer and put together my own release. I uploaded Miller FLACs to my VOX player this morning.

6/25, 27, 28, 30 and 7/1 1985 - listening party in my truck!!

EDIT - I posted this and then scrolled down to read recent posts and see that these shows are already in the news around here - synchronicity?!!

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Thanks for the pointer to dead.net for the Warfield CD. I ordered one from the dead and cancelled the Amazon cd order. But I did find that although "amazon" was unable to provided the vinyl, one of their 3rd party vendors had it. (MovieMars). The lp's were 40 bucks.

I guess I'll find out if I'm really getting them soon enough :-)

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Dennis

Okay MinasMorgul, have you seen the box? What else can you tell us?
When is the announcement coming?

Thank you!

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

In reply to by MinasMorgul

"the Minas touch"

do you reeeeeally know something we don't?

I agree we will like it, but I'm sure someone somewhere will complain about something.

I am getting a bit starved for GD. lots of unusual occurrences in my life right now, severely limiting my time to listen to the band beyond description.

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

In reply to by daverock

Plasmatics
"New Hope for the Wretched"

high energy fun, I tell ya

user picture

Member for

9 years 3 months

Train wreck asked a question to my good friend LMG. I was being rambunchus and piggy backed off his question. Trying to get my good friend LMG to speak further to it since he does know. Nothing more.

Two years ago I would have concluded this post with something to the people who responded badly about my original post with something like 'but thanks for rushing to judgement ya dickheads'

But that's not me anymore. I told you. I tried changing to MinasIthil on dead net but it errors out when I go to login for the 1st time. Box set? I've seen way more than a box set. The box set seems momentous right now to everyone. but in the timeline of every person reading this it's about as important as catching your breath after getting the wind knocked out of you. That's a fact.

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

MinasIthil, is that an image from "What About Bob?" as your avatar? For what it's worth, your initial post about the undoubtedly fantabulous upcoming box seemed like a fairly good natured jab at the sometimes intense speculation about what the next box will be, at least to me. I will admit, I am glad others were critical so that you could demonstrate your emotional maturity and restraint by not calling them dickheads;) That cracked me up.

user picture

Member for

7 years

I think when tensions get high, ball busting is just a whole lot of fun. Some people are just to sensitive on here. Us guys have to bust balls when stupid things are said. It's in our nature. Peace!

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

Gave discs 1 & 2 of this release another listen this afternoon after a little break from the dead over the last few days, and man is it hitting the spot. I liked it the first time that I listened to it, but disc 3 was so good it just overshadowed the rest of the release. Particularly digging the Pigpen stuff this time through.

Emotional maturity is something that I am sure I lack. I generally just stick to faking adulthood. I seem to recall a poem by Hartley Coleridge on the topic...

Long time a child, and still a child, when years
Had painted manhood on my cheek, was I, -
For yet I lived like one not born to die;
A thriftless prodigal of smiles and tears,
No hope I needed, and I knew no fears.
But sleep though sweet, is only sleep, and waking
I waked to sleep no more, at once o'ertaking
The vanguard of my age, with all arrears
Of duty on my back. Nor child, nor man,
Nor youth, nor sage, I find my head is grey,
For I have lost the race I never ran:
A rathe December blights my lagging May;
And still I am a child, tho' I be old,
Time is my debtor for my years untold.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Prospect fell through, lil bummed. But not end of world. Thanks for the support all.

user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

So true. I threw up in my mouth a couple weeks ago when someone was griping about getting busted on for a comment they were most certainly asking for. If you're going to spew questionable nonsense and then play the dodge and obfuscate game when called upon, then someone's going to take notice and call BS. And if you don't like it, just say tough luck ya dickheads (Minas). Guys are guys and we bust stones from time to time.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

Sorry it didn’t work out, but maybe something better will happen in the long run.
“I don’t trust in nothin’, but I know it come out right”

user picture

Member for

7 years

And how!!! P.S. this new box set seems to be on everyone's mind. I hope it's a short and sweet one. The small boxes seem more interesting to me and less chance of problems like the PNW box, like I've heard.

Ah yes...Shoreline 89, I believe that was the second year of Shoreline. Shoreline was fun, as long as we were in the 100's, which we usually were. We called it the house that Bill built.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by nitecat

....we used to call it home away from home. The sun sets behind the crowd, so sunglasses by the bands playing there were a necessity, esp on Sunday early shows. God I miss Jerry.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by carlo13

Maybe the humour, if such it was ,got lost in translation. It always seems better to me when someone is trying to laugh with someone, rather than at them. Maybe I've got it wrong...in which case apologies all round. But if be careful, because tomorrow the joke could be on...you.

user picture

Member for

8 years

...good morning my fellow brothers & sisters, I was hoping to find everyone doing well when I logged in today?! And than bada bing bada boom, lol, I find everyone’s (not everyone, you guys know who you are,😉, and thank you all for the support, humility and kindness that I experience on a daily bases here with All you Grateful Dead Fans, friends & family!) in the usual state of ‘Up Coming BOXSET Freak Out Mode’! “Up and Coming Grateful Dead Material” OUTBREAK symptoms usually starts to occurs and escalate rapidly about a month before it’s presented itself through the regular stream of media outfits like our very own, ‘Dead.net’, ‘Rolling Stone’ or ‘JamBase’ ect...
Symthoms include(s) strange behavior, anxiety , depression, out bursts, normal behavior , comedic, rude & uncouth statements, and most importantly the lack of “Integrity”. That’s the key word here folks, integrity! Everyone I know from this message board has integrity!
* in·teg·ri·ty
noun
the quality of being honest and having strong moral principles; moral uprightness.
"he is known to be a man of integrity"
synonyms: honesty, uprightness, probity, rectitude, honor, honorableness, upstandingness, good character, principle(s), ethics, morals, righteousness, morality, nobility, high-mindedness, right-mindedness, noble-mindedness, virtue, decency, fairness, scrupulousness, sincerity, truthfulness, trustworthiness
"I never doubted his integrity"
the state of being whole and undivided.
"upholding territorial integrity and national sovereignty"
synonyms: unity, unification, wholeness, coherence, cohesion, undividedness, togetherness, solidarity, coalition
"internal racial unrest threatened the integrity of the federation".
A very strong word in my cosmic mind blown middle aged man addicted to the greatest band ever, the Grateful Dead. Lol ha ha ...everyone here should know me by now, “Make Love Not War”. LOL(avatar). “Can’t we all just get along”! 🙏❤️😉 please everyone, let’s move on and put these Out Burst, Hysterics and a “Miss Understood Post” from a friend of mine behind us. I know he meant no Ill or nevative feelings/vibes. 🙏 it’s just comes down to people’s own interpretations and their point of view...🙏❤️💀
* LOTR post was meant to follow the recent discussions & quotes being posted. A Clue?!
Now after all that is said and done, I think it is, yes, indeed,it is! 😉🤠
Have a grateful day everyone! I’ve been in bed recovering for the last week or more. One day at a time. In lots of pain recently. I’ll be better soon, I’m not a victim I’m a survivor !
Rock on my brothers and sisters, god bless and smile smile smile! Time is precious!...

.....makes me think of that old song that they used for the theme song for that show Weeds....
Speaking of boxes....

WADEOCU; your box sounds perfect!

Charlie; say it ain’t so.....but your probably right about finding out about Dave’s 31 first, but man I hope not..

LMG; “first box of 2019” so there’s more than one this year? Hmmmm? Well that would be something, but they better hurry up as some people are on a budget and stacking them up can’t be good for business, and the year is rapidly passing......so you’d think they’d want to space then accordingly etc.....

user picture

Member for

8 years

...Disc Two, ‘ The Grateful Dead Movie’ -soundtrack ! ...
‘Scarlet Begonias’
‘He’s Gone’ >>
‘Jam’>>
‘Weirdness’>>
‘The Other One’>>
‘Spanish Jam’>>
‘Mind Left Body Jam’>>
‘The Other One>>
‘Stella Blue’
‘Casey Jones’
...Primo! There I said it, lol, ha ha , on my tube system set up play back control is amazing.
It sounds like the band is playing in my livin room! 🙏❤️💀

user picture

Member for

6 years 7 months

In reply to by Lovemygirl

Thought I'd listen to an anniversary show today at the office and came across this great '74 soundboard from Atlanta. Can't go wrong with Summer '74 and so far this one sounds great to my ear! Very relaxed but not boring. Keith and Bill are very prominent in the mix which is interesting and welcomed by me. The U.S. Blues opener and a Scarlet with great sounding Donna backing vocals are the highlights so far. Can't wait for that second set although seems like a short show for the era. Enjoy!

https://archive.org/details/gd74-06-20.sbd.clugston.2179.sbeok.shnf/gd7…

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

In reply to by Vguy72

Double I hear you. On Shoreline and especially Jerry and really especially Jerry at Shoreline

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

...can be a fine line sometimes. To my sensibilities nothing posted lately seems to have been on the bullying side of the coin, but seems more along the lines of joking with friends and acquaintances. Daverock, hopefully I did not cause or contribute to any bad feelings.

Oroborous, Weeds was a great show for the first few seasons, then it kind of switched up the premise and I lost interest. But the Andy and Doug (Kevin Nealon) stuff in the first 3 seasons or so was the highlight for me, some of their exchanges were priceless. As far as the order of the announcement of DaP 31 and the next box, I'm pretty sure the planned announcement of the box is August 1 at MUATM although it seems like maybe last year it leaked before the official announcement. DaP 31 is set for release on or about August 2, so that announcement will have to come at least a couple of weeks early so there is time for folks to purchase the 3 available for purchase al a carte. Whatever the order, it ought to be a couple of announcements coming between mid-July and August. And no, the comment about there being 3 available for purchase al a carte is not a prediction or inside knowledge, just a sarcastic reference to the undoubtedly low number actually available.

I remark to my better half Ingrid, often in moments of off-guard wonderment, how I can't actually believe we've finally achieved what occurred in 'Weeds', in real life. What seemed like, literally, a total impossibility but with 'man-wouldn't-that-be-fucking-awesome-if-it-were-real' as the running mantra...BOOM! Here we are. Weed is legal. At least in my state, and several others. It's only a matter of time.

This was all a dream we dreamed, one afternoon long ago

Sixtus

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

Yea, after over forty years of being a “criminal”! It’s still hard to fathom....unfortunately, I’m still paranoid lol, old habits die hard! I predict trump will try to use national legalization to put him over the top come election time....
a) it’ll help him with the youth vote, and
b) all the one percenters are seeing how much money there is to be made and are bummed their missing out!
And like it or not that’s who he needs to please.....
In Colorado all the top players are all wealthy business types.......they may have the kind of folks people would expect to be running the day to day stuff, but the top dogs are the last folks on earth you’d expect to be into weed!

If only el Andy was in charge 😉

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

In reply to by Oroborous

ooohhhhhhh....how I want to say something.....

but it would a political rant

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-30-1.html