• 2,500 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Who's up for a revolutionary evolutionary ride? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, NEW YORK 1/2/70 captures the Grateful Dead as they make their first foray from the experimental 60s into their early 70s acoustic Americana period. Yes, this one is a little bit country and a little bit (psychedelic) rock and roll.

When the "Magnificent Seven" - Pigpen on percussion, T.C. on keys - first took the stage on 1/2/70, evidence was clear that the trip was about to take a turn. From their western wears to the twang in Jerry’s “broken-string blues,” it appeared they'd brought the Bakersfield sound to the Big Apple. They worked through much of what would become Workingman's Dead, stunning the crowd with laid-back numbers like "Uncle John's Band," "Casey Jones," and "Black Peter." Just the same, they satisfied 60s stalwarts with magical versions of "Dark Star," "St. Stephen," and "That's It For The Other One." Sonic alchemy, indeed!

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, ​New York 1/2/70 has been rounded out with a bit of 1/3/70 (the subscribers-only bonus disc features the bulk of 1/3/70). It was recorded by the great Owsley "Bear" Stanley and has been lovingly mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • icecrmcnkd

You are not the only one. Sad, but true.

This is copied from

https://www.dead.net/forum/got-issues-your-store-order

——————-

August 30, 2019 - 4:29pm#2
    WHISKYHAWK

Still Waiting For DaP 30 To Be Delivered
    Anyone else having this issue?

Per Dead.net Customer Service, 'Our new warehouse has advised that they have been unable to locate any numbered copies of Dave’s Picks Volume 30. With that confirmation, we have decided to produce a small, separately-numbered run of this title. We will use these copies to replace your missing or damaged Dave’s Picks Volume 30 shipment. Our production team has advised that the new, limited-edition run will be available in 2 months. "

Well, it's been two months and no word, no communication. Very frustrating.
    ——————-

• marye
    send me a PM.
  • JimInMD

Send a PM to MaryE on this site. ..and do it quickly!! that was a long time ago.

• dajokr

Still have not received my DAve's 30 with Bonus Disc. Multiple emails to customer service and no joy. Anybody who can help????

• daverock

Looks reasonable enough to me. The only holes in my collection are the Fillmore West 1969 box set, and the first 1990 box set. I bought the second one, Spring 1990, after quite along wait, as I am not a big fan of 1990. But I was, and continue to be, surprised at how much I like the show within. Every time I play 3/14/90, which I believe is the first in the box, I feel moved to go on and listen to the whole. I keep looking around for the first one, but I haven't seen it for sale anywhere yet. I wouldn't spend a fortune on it, but if its anything like this second one....then I have missed out big time.

A cautionary tale for me, actually, thinking now that I wouldn't get this years box if it is from beyond 1974.

• Diggey
    Default Avatar

I hope I'm not breaking any rules and can delete this if I am. I have some Dead cds and Dave's Picks for sale and wanted to put them up here. I'm not trying to get rich, just movin' out some clutter. Send me a message and payPal preferred. shipping is included for all of them listed. Thanks

San Francisco, The Warfield 10/9 and 10/10/80- Record Store Day CD- $16 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 27- Boise State U, 9/2/83- $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 28- Capital Theater, Passaic, NJ, 6/17/76 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 29- Swing Auditorium, San Bernadino, Ca, 2/26/77 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Fillmore East, NY, 1/2/70 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Bonus CD- Fillmore East, NY, 1/3/70 - $30 shipping included

• kyleharmon

i'll make my official box set prediction here: Summer '90

• JimInMD

Gave this one last spin before the Dave's 31 announcement. This will be remembered as an excellent release with a great bonus disc if you subscribed.

2019 will be remembered as a good year.

• Oroborous

Fall 79, Awesome!
    Nice to mix it up a little, thanks guys!
    Also, like hearing how their going to keep trying more variety.
    But ultimately, like Dave said, not about the set list or what they played etc, it’s about how they played it!
    Personally, I’m not familiar with this one but ifs it’s anything like 11/9, 11/5&6, 12/1, or the New Years run I think we’re going to be happy!

• wissinomingdeadhead
    Default Avatar

FINALLY 1979

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

Who's up for a revolutionary evolutionary ride? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, NEW YORK 1/2/70 captures the Grateful Dead as they make their first foray from the experimental 60s into their early 70s acoustic Americana period. Yes, this one is a little bit country and a little bit (psychedelic) rock and roll.

When the "Magnificent Seven" - Pigpen on percussion, T.C. on keys - first took the stage on 1/2/70, evidence was clear that the trip was about to take a turn. From their western wears to the twang in Jerry’s “broken-string blues,” it appeared they'd brought the Bakersfield sound to the Big Apple. They worked through much of what would become Workingman's Dead, stunning the crowd with laid-back numbers like "Uncle John's Band," "Casey Jones," and "Black Peter." Just the same, they satisfied 60s stalwarts with magical versions of "Dark Star," "St. Stephen," and "That's It For The Other One." Sonic alchemy, indeed!

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, ​New York 1/2/70 has been rounded out with a bit of 1/3/70 (the subscribers-only bonus disc features the bulk of 1/3/70). It was recorded by the great Owsley "Bear" Stanley and has been lovingly mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

Ha. I bet Phil is pissed at the "Their Lead Vocalist" comment.

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

Fries, Nachos, “I need a hook”, “Wow, good for them”.

No you didn’t get dosed, but you should consider it!

Edit: I got buses & Fire Hydrants , but still not Kesey's bus...

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by CaseyJanes

I think that she did get dosed by the blue Jell-O shot.

She’ll be back next tour and will know all the songs.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Vguy72

The Victm>Foolish transition seemed quite interesting at the time.

Was in the front row the next night (my friend got them from mail order - thanks GDTS). The first night we were 2nd row off the floor in the back with my GDTS tix.

I’m curious why the SBDs from those shows aren’t in circulation.

Doubtful.. more likely select lines from Friend of the Devil, Touch of Grey and Truckin' which she will know doubt try to impress us with by staggering back and forth while standing on her chair, flicking a lighter and singly quite loudly, out of key, and one step out of time to two thirds of the lyrics of Friend of the Devil and Casey Jones.

I don't know.. Perhaps this sounds cranky.. but why do people with such limited exposure and understanding feel the need to write about it on a large platform and describe exactly what it's all about. On the bright side.. at least she wasn't talking the entire show while overconsuming makers mark and beer after beer while yelling JJERRRRYYYYYYY during each and every solo.

Ok.. I will get back to kicking hippies off my lawn. As you were. Deep breath, exhale, all better now. Anyone is welcome to walk across my front lawn.

user picture

Member for

7 years

I don't know, seems like a sterile version of the original parking lot. It may be that my last show was 95'. She was brave though, taking some pill in this era. I'd rather keep the memories of old then take a chance at disappointment. At least that's my opinion.

user picture

Member for

7 years

What year was that first Corrina. Curious.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by carlo13

....not entirely sure. Wanna say Vegas '92? That song was hit or miss for me. Better than Easy answers for sure. About tied with Eternity, which, when they did it right, was a pretty damn good time.

user picture

Member for

7 years

That was the same kind of feeling I had with Corrina. Hit or miss.

user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

Check Your PM

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Could have been a decent song if it didn’t have any words.

Easy Answers = bathroom trip
Wave to the wind = bathroom trip
Vince = bathroom trip

If 2 or more of those came up in a show you were stuck listening to the one(s) that came after the bathroom trip.

Corinna could evolve into a good jam sometimes, but I was always disappointed to hear the opening chords.
First Corinna was 2-23-92.

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

David Crosby - guitar, vocals
Jerry Garcia - lead guitar, vocals
Phil Lesh - bass
Mickey Hart - drums

This is a trip. Originally broadcast on KSAN, 12/15/70 from The Matrix, SF.

It really feels like a bootleg. Maybe some of you are familiar. It's loose and sloppy and I'm loving it.

Jerry is pretty "on."

From the five-disc box, "The 1970 Broadcasts."

Also a hoot, is the current Rolling Stone feature which has David Crosby answering readers questions about life, etc.

Crosby was a mess for decades, but as it goes, has become a wise old sage. God bless him.

\m/

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Oh yeah! What show are you jamming?

I was always a fan of their cover of the Stones' No Expectations.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Slow Dog Noodle

....that's the name.
Mrs. Vguy likes them. A definite plus

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Eternity always fine by me

Wave to the Wind is an abomination

Easy answers....love ya Bob, but...

Vince tunes ok

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

The itch for DaP 31 approaches.....currently listening to 11 26 72 DARK STAR. San Antonio! Anyone feeling a hint for what year DaP 31 will bring us? 1968, 1972...in the strangest of places....

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

Pink Floyd 71....insane and masterful

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

I've always loved this tune. Ratdog has some very good renditions. Same with easy answers, I like the way Bob has been blending Easy answer with music never stopped.

Again, hard to believe we will looking at another seaside chat for Dave's 31 before we get the news on this year's box, but that appears to be the case.

Might be time for the first 79 release. Last 79 release was RT.3.1, which is outstanding!

user picture

Member for

8 years

...a raise of hands please, who wants a 1969 box set?!
🙏❤️😎

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

5 years 8 months

I sure hope you're not talking about the Woodstock box.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Would love to see a Fall ‘91 Box. Mix of the MSG and Boston Garden runs. Have not had a Bruce/Vince box set yet.

The can name it “In and out of the Garden we go!”

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Duece

or 9/4,5,6/91 wpould make a nice 91....
Or
Something from 69, 79, and 89, number 9, number 9, number 9........
Didn’t Bolo say something about different years combined?

Edit: 79 you say? ....how’s bout 1/10/79 and 1/20/79? ......probably no tapes??

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

The box will not be '66, '67 or '68; agreed? All short shows, not many in the vault, questionable sales appeal. Edit:(Okay, I'd personally dive on any such releases, esp. '67 and '68. Killing my own arguments at the get-go.)

They just handed us two excellent '70 shows and have to hold the few remaining '70 shows for the 50th pairings with Workingman's and American Beauty and some for future DaPs. The box will not be '73-'74; they did that last year. That leaves '69, '71, '72 and '89 and '91.

To me the decision has to be tied to the music, the vault and sales.

The music: what will broadly appeal to the die-hards AND general public?

The vault: what year is well-supplied with useful tapes, so that a box will not deplete it?

The sales: shows with broad appeal, and affordable. Affordable is pretty much an issue of how many shows/discs. (Answer: 4-6 shows, 10-20 discs.) I think they'll lean slimmer than last year's 6 shows/19 discs to make it more affordable. On the other hand, these ARE limited edition boxes, so maybe "broad appeal" only applies within the tuned-in Dead market -- meaning, at many post '95 shows by later incarnations of the GD, I tried talking to people about the vault output and they had NO IDEA about Dave's Picks, etc. A huge # of people are into the concert scene and not the archival releases, bless their pointy little heads.

1969 passes all these tests and has the anniversary thing going for it. Yet they just put out Aoxomoxoa with a January '69 live disc. (Get Shown the Light in 2017 was synched to an anniversary, but that's the exception so far. )

1971 passes all these tests for me, yet I'm not sure -- forensic doc's efforts not withstanding -- how broadly appealing '71 is to die-hard fans. Same question might be applied to '69.

Okay, now we come to my favorite dead horse, which I have flogged mercilessly: 1972. Consistently hot shows. Tons of fall '72 in the vault ("tons" = ~25-30?). Broad appeal, good buzz factor (same year as Euro '72). Surefire sales: who's going to turn down a '72 box? Who??

Finally, I think '89 and '91 are a bit obscure performance-wise and may divide the market; older heads might pass, and those who caught that era are now in their 50s (mere kids, "heh heh heh," in a creepy voice).

Yet, I have to wonder how sales would go with The Ark three-show box, Capitol Theater '71 or even my favored fall '72 (c'mon, that'd sell like laced hotcakes).

To re-formulate my usual lackluster quip: I'm usually wrong. And I'll be fascinated to see what they've got in the works. Now that I think of it, 1979 is precisely 40 years ago and holds many tapes (I choose to believe, with no knowledge whatsoever) and hot shows. Who knows? As with PNW, perhaps they choose a venue like Red Rocks for '79; only, just one of three August '79 shows was at the Rocks, the other two at McNichols, the old Denver shed.

Okay, now I'm rambling badly and posting it. I say a week from Monday (July 8) we'll know. Dead & Co. will be back home, patching their bones. GarciaLive v. 11 shipping notices will be out and DaP 31 not yet announced.

I'm calling fall '72 box, with a '91 or '79 for DaP 31...

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

Only two shows in the vault from the first two months of the year... One is the Feb 17, 1979 Rock for Life Show, and I believe the other is 2/7/79 Carbondale..... I wonder what happened to those tapes??? Have a good weekend everyone.... Bob t

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Richfield 9/4-6/91

I was there. all three shows smoked. Highly recomended. The 1st and 3rd nights were A+ top grade perfromances. One of the best Scarlet>Fires, a Birdsong for the ages, the secondset sequence of 9/6 is executed with perfection.

The Giants Stadium shows recorded onto 48 track analogue would be an obvious 2 show box to coincide with the Meet Up.

I have to have this when it comes out. My life would not be complete without it.

Arc would be cool too. Anything '89 2 thumbs up.

These verify pics are hard to see. Hate that. Hassle.

user picture

Member for

7 years

I remember in the 80's shows wishing jerry would whip out his banjo, even just for a few minutes to put my trip back in line.

user picture

Member for

7 years

I only hear crickets.

user picture

Member for

7 years

Crankin' TIFTOO. To bad we couldn't have a keg party over the net. That would be the greatest app. In the world.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Carlo13 you cracked me up a bit with your Jerry banjo comment! Kinda brings me back to "them daze".

BTW, did anyone grab the vinyl AND cd of the Warfield? I have the cd and I think I'm digging it the most out of the latest releases, but wondered if the vinyl differed in any way from the cd (which has a complete dearth of liner notes, accompanying booklet, or photos of the band, etc.)

P.S. I finally picked up the Shrine '67 vinyl (mainly for the cover art which I like on my wall.

P.S.S. Great Calls on something from Brent Fall 1979 some of those tapes are really well recorded!

user picture

Member for

7 years

Kind of strange that the interviewer called John belushi a nutball. Seemed like bill thought the same.

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

Streaming tonight and tomorrow. I’m behind and just started the 2nd set.....strong show so far!

My daughter came down earlier to say goodnight, looked up at the TV and said that’s Bob Ross......Yes!!! I’m half-way to making her a Deadhead!!!

Happy Trees 🌲

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by CaseyJanes

“Roll right through the night...”
SPACEBRO: “so glad you made it”...ditto Wilfred.....yasss, those Richfield shows go under the radar but where mighty tasty....believe that was the last or near last time I hung with my old amigo Lee Esdee...remember camping nearby sea world with previously mentioned, now 21 year old girl friend, me 28, and tent loving all night to the unbelievable sound of the whales.....whoooaaaa...

CARLO: yassss, use to space about why/what if JG threw down some badass BG....though not in the GD context but alas, perhaps lack of due to another side affect of the Jones etc? Fortunately we got at least the 90 Grisman et el stuff!
Virtual, cyber? Kegger, pssstttttt, that’s me opening the last growler of that tasty strawberry daze ale.....till next year!

JIMMD: “Ark You!”.......and of course I mean that in a good way 😀

LEDEAD: thanks for the awesome article! Had not seen that one! Nice long, candid one too. Love Billy K but sometimes.....not here though!
EDIT: interesting AB comments considering recent related posts here.....

DAVEROCK: will have to listen/analyze for the River/fingers correlation.....personally also thought L.R.R. and many of late era JG ballads were favs, if maybe a bit too many? Seemed to fit the vibe near the end days...perhaps just projecting my maturing? Moving on feelings/“growing up”.....ok, that’s too much thinking for this time and space???

C.J: and so it begins....! ; )

BobT: thanks! Glad to see ya...sorry, believe you told me/us this already....sorry for repeats Uncle! ; )

HF: eh, who you calling a kid ; )
and, ....ramble on baby!....I can’t speak for the rest of this ship of fools, but I dig your rambles!
I Like most of what you postulate, yasss, know I would truly dig any primal Dead, but your probably right about marketing/economics here....very interesting about your post GD observations vis a vis releases versus live. Perhaps a correlation with the younger gen/no stuff thing? Cool that kids are still pro live versuses memorex....perhaps we’re so rabid about releases due to the age/nostalgia bug and trying to relive etc, while the youngins are trying to actually live their own legacy, which is nice!
Think 69 might get more traction than you think? I know I’d dig that shite, ark, ark, ark! Woof! ......perhaps those that are neophytes would just bye and end up blown away?....
71? Know many here would love that spring stuff, not sure that would sell well with the casuals? (No offense to the Doc if yee lurkith?...miss ya boss!) Personally late 70 through pre Kieth 71 is not on my top wish lists, which is ironic cause skull fuck was sorta the final indoctrinating straw for moi. Sure I’d learn to love it like a red headed step child 😉
Your thoughts on fall 72 are not wrong....know I’d dig some big ass meaty Dark Stars etc ala previous releases....and agree 72 is pretty much money with this crowd. Also, been about time since 8/25 which was great in my minds eye, but perhaps not equal to some fall deep space 9 mojo? Imho.
Not disagreeing with your logic per 89-91, but perhaps the music is strong enough, and maybe overlooked enough, while having enough fans, especially with lack of inventory so far, that a small but solid 91 outing would trend well enough? Getting a 69 vibe myself, perhaps only in a dog sense kinda way, but hey, that shit has worked as much as logic and empiricism!

And in these days in GD history......spinning 6/27/85, which has a bit of slop/ occasional JG vocal mishaps, but imo is more than made up for with chutzpah, and shining diamond moments of psychedelic golden yummies, and a neat set list! Oye, the energy! Followed by 6/28/85 which is one of my favs; both @ and recording....again a bit of the first set “slop” but grows into a beast....remeber it was not a pleasant day. But the set up was awesome; like high school stadium, not too crowded, with PA in true stereo imaging set up, small delay towers on the ground behind the board, no cranes needed! But because of the elements they had plastic protection over everything; PA, stage gear etc until sometime in the 2nd...believe Estinmated into Terrapin? Eventually it cleared up with the stars out and they peeled off that plastic protection off, Healy started to crank it (which we were truanting him to do as we were hanging in front of soundboard per usual), and things started getting progressively better from there...started to warm up a bit too, which eventually led to moi overheating, but that’s another story that I shall only replay upon request.
Anywho, interesting first, followed by “continued singing in the rain” one of my fav Music Never Stopped”, my first Tom Thumbs, a solid Estimated, good Terrapin, great experientially, followed by one of my favorite spaces, complete with some serious 3D holographic, moving, Healy shit, woooooooooo, (recordings do not begin to capture this phenomena!), into a slamming Miracle, and perhaps my all time favorite Dew (very influenced by passing grandfather,) psychedelic, personal, cathartic variables, but to me still transcend all that even today....with a strong Stones/NFA, but unfortunately a bit of a let down with the Day Job encore....by then to my gang that one had kinda run its course. Dug it in like 83 etc, but eventually wore itself out...?
Followed all this off with first set of of 6/27/87 which is decent, tight 87ish, and now into the wee hours we’re bringing it all home with 6/25/88 mix of all of the first (“we don’t just let anyone sit in on accordion”) and the second first half mix of Victum, Blow Away, and Foolish, which were firsts for our gang...kinda of shitty conditions there though at the time..recall not feeling it so much then, but recording has remained a nice summer time fav.....
Tomorrow hopefully, finally, get to dig into PNW 6/24&26/73 shows....boo-yah!
So much Dead, so little time!....
And too all a goodnight!
Have a greatful weekend mi amigos!

user picture

Member for

7 years

Thanks for tormenting me on the strawberry beer bro!! Now I am going out first thing tomorrow and find me some S. B. To quench my beer jones. I'll see if they have strawberry daze ale, if not I'll get any kind they have. I will let you know the results. It is funny that I have not bought a growler in ages. I think it's high time I start growling again. Peace!

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Had a wonderful evening with Bruce Hornsby and the Noisemakers in the mountains of North Carolina last Wednesday at the Salvage Station. Set list:
Great Divide
Stander on the Mountain
Fractals
I'll take you there
The way it is
Tango King
Pastures of Plenty
Up with People
Celestial Railroad
Green, Green rocky road
Every Little Kiss
Echolocation
Defenders of the Flag
Big Rock Candy Mountain>Candy Mountain Run
Little Sadie>White Wheeled Limo>Liberty Valance
Great jams especially the Candy Mountain Run, had the audience rocking and we all danced all night. 2.5 hr show with no breaks. Great Grateful Dead cover band on after the Bruce show who's opening song was Estimated Prophet, and they did an excellent job. Phunkle Sam is the name of the band and they are very well versed in Grateful Dead tunes.
If you get a chance, catch Bruce this time around, had a good time with some excellent tunes played along the river with fireflies dancing around us most of the evening, awesome. Check out Bruce's new lp also, it's worth a listen.
Box set, I'll take some 91 Bruce and Vince this time around, it's time to break these shows out, they were great.
Last 6:
Jules and the Polar Bears, Phonetics
Steppenwolf, Live
Cheech and Chong, Big Bambu
Mahogany Rush, Child of the Novelity
Bruce Hornsby, Absolute Zero
Stomu Yamashta, Go (with Steve Winwood and Michael Shrieve)

user picture

Member for

8 years

...a show of hands please for a “Warfield Anniversary Boxset, October 1980, celebrating the Grateful Dead's 15th Anniversary.” A perfect blending of older cuts from the Dead's extensive repertoire with performances of the Dead’s acoustic sets & Electric ...🙏❤️😎

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-30-1.html