• 2,500 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Who's up for a revolutionary evolutionary ride? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, NEW YORK 1/2/70 captures the Grateful Dead as they make their first foray from the experimental 60s into their early 70s acoustic Americana period. Yes, this one is a little bit country and a little bit (psychedelic) rock and roll.

When the "Magnificent Seven" - Pigpen on percussion, T.C. on keys - first took the stage on 1/2/70, evidence was clear that the trip was about to take a turn. From their western wears to the twang in Jerry’s “broken-string blues,” it appeared they'd brought the Bakersfield sound to the Big Apple. They worked through much of what would become Workingman's Dead, stunning the crowd with laid-back numbers like "Uncle John's Band," "Casey Jones," and "Black Peter." Just the same, they satisfied 60s stalwarts with magical versions of "Dark Star," "St. Stephen," and "That's It For The Other One." Sonic alchemy, indeed!

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, ​New York 1/2/70 has been rounded out with a bit of 1/3/70 (the subscribers-only bonus disc features the bulk of 1/3/70). It was recorded by the great Owsley "Bear" Stanley and has been lovingly mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • icecrmcnkd

You are not the only one. Sad, but true.

This is copied from

https://www.dead.net/forum/got-issues-your-store-order

——————-

August 30, 2019 - 4:29pm#2
    WHISKYHAWK

Still Waiting For DaP 30 To Be Delivered
    Anyone else having this issue?

Per Dead.net Customer Service, 'Our new warehouse has advised that they have been unable to locate any numbered copies of Dave’s Picks Volume 30. With that confirmation, we have decided to produce a small, separately-numbered run of this title. We will use these copies to replace your missing or damaged Dave’s Picks Volume 30 shipment. Our production team has advised that the new, limited-edition run will be available in 2 months. "

Well, it's been two months and no word, no communication. Very frustrating.
    ——————-

• marye
    send me a PM.
  • JimInMD

Send a PM to MaryE on this site. ..and do it quickly!! that was a long time ago.

• dajokr

Still have not received my DAve's 30 with Bonus Disc. Multiple emails to customer service and no joy. Anybody who can help????

• daverock

Looks reasonable enough to me. The only holes in my collection are the Fillmore West 1969 box set, and the first 1990 box set. I bought the second one, Spring 1990, after quite along wait, as I am not a big fan of 1990. But I was, and continue to be, surprised at how much I like the show within. Every time I play 3/14/90, which I believe is the first in the box, I feel moved to go on and listen to the whole. I keep looking around for the first one, but I haven't seen it for sale anywhere yet. I wouldn't spend a fortune on it, but if its anything like this second one....then I have missed out big time.

A cautionary tale for me, actually, thinking now that I wouldn't get this years box if it is from beyond 1974.

• Diggey
    Default Avatar

I hope I'm not breaking any rules and can delete this if I am. I have some Dead cds and Dave's Picks for sale and wanted to put them up here. I'm not trying to get rich, just movin' out some clutter. Send me a message and payPal preferred. shipping is included for all of them listed. Thanks

San Francisco, The Warfield 10/9 and 10/10/80- Record Store Day CD- $16 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 27- Boise State U, 9/2/83- $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 28- Capital Theater, Passaic, NJ, 6/17/76 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 29- Swing Auditorium, San Bernadino, Ca, 2/26/77 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Fillmore East, NY, 1/2/70 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Bonus CD- Fillmore East, NY, 1/3/70 - $30 shipping included

• kyleharmon

i'll make my official box set prediction here: Summer '90

• JimInMD

Gave this one last spin before the Dave's 31 announcement. This will be remembered as an excellent release with a great bonus disc if you subscribed.

2019 will be remembered as a good year.

• Oroborous

Fall 79, Awesome!
    Nice to mix it up a little, thanks guys!
    Also, like hearing how their going to keep trying more variety.
    But ultimately, like Dave said, not about the set list or what they played etc, it’s about how they played it!
    Personally, I’m not familiar with this one but ifs it’s anything like 11/9, 11/5&6, 12/1, or the New Years run I think we’re going to be happy!

• wissinomingdeadhead
    Default Avatar

FINALLY 1979

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

Who's up for a revolutionary evolutionary ride? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, NEW YORK 1/2/70 captures the Grateful Dead as they make their first foray from the experimental 60s into their early 70s acoustic Americana period. Yes, this one is a little bit country and a little bit (psychedelic) rock and roll.

When the "Magnificent Seven" - Pigpen on percussion, T.C. on keys - first took the stage on 1/2/70, evidence was clear that the trip was about to take a turn. From their western wears to the twang in Jerry’s “broken-string blues,” it appeared they'd brought the Bakersfield sound to the Big Apple. They worked through much of what would become Workingman's Dead, stunning the crowd with laid-back numbers like "Uncle John's Band," "Casey Jones," and "Black Peter." Just the same, they satisfied 60s stalwarts with magical versions of "Dark Star," "St. Stephen," and "That's It For The Other One." Sonic alchemy, indeed!

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, ​New York 1/2/70 has been rounded out with a bit of 1/3/70 (the subscribers-only bonus disc features the bulk of 1/3/70). It was recorded by the great Owsley "Bear" Stanley and has been lovingly mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I know this might be a reach, but maybe it is a Chicago run. He referenced High Fidelity which was a movie based in Chicago, and Til the morning comes was not only a Dead song but a Peter Cetera song and as we all know he is was in Chicago. Now what Chicago run could it be?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I’m going on record and say it is 3 last shows Brent played. 07/21/90, 07/22/90, and 07/23/90. Played at Tinsley Park (Chicago) with a Queen Jane on night one.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Duece

I’m currently listening to 7-21-90 and He’s Gone is just finishing.

Sadly, no hula hoops.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Fuck that reCRAPTCHA shit.

My previous post required around 20 reCRAPTCHA screens.
This past weekend I ended up just deleting a post because the reCRAPTCHA wouldn’t end.

If TPTB are trying to dissuade us from posting on this site, they may end up getting their wish.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

A while back I was thinking it might a box of Uptown Theater shows.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

I was thinking it might be a 69 show but I don't think TPTB would release a 69 show right after releasing a 70 show. Now if it's a Chicago show I'd go with 1/30/78, 1/31/78 or 2/1/78 the reason being that it's been awhile since we had an official release from 1978.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

Hit me like a diamond bullet in the brain-its 1976, surely. The reference to putting the Dead cds away for a while, to take them out when the morning comes could be a reference to their sabbatical at the end of 1974, and subsequent re-emergence in 76. Taking into account the fact that there hasn't been proper 76 box yet-a couple of Dicks Picks were 4 cd 2 show sets - then this seems most likely. I would prefer Fall 1972-but I can't see it myself.

For all fans of the post Syd, pre Dark Side Floyd, I would recommend the new remaster of Phaedra by Tangerine Dream. Its part of the new box set, but all the studio albums have been released individually. They are as cheap as chips and this one, the best of the bunch, sounds amazing. They seemed to me to take the space music Pink Floyd played as a basis for their own development. Mainly electronic keyboards, but you can't dance to it.

Whoops, I've got that "I'm not a robot thing" to do now. Maybe they think my post is potentially subversive.

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

I think you might be onto something Daverock. Also, from the first Bolo clue:
"Trapped....from earth......for what seemed like a decade......." "grace of God" "good to be back although my soul is still drained and weakened"

the decade= 65-75, grace of God = Blues for Allah

I'd love a 76 box. I've been listening to a lot of 76 lately. The instrumental blend is so perfect, really as good as pre-hiatus.

Happy 4th folks! I'd love to tag along with you, in spirit, HF on the Yampa! I'll be quiet, (in spirit), and you won't even notice I'm there.... it looks wonderful!

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

...good morning my brothers & sisters out there in DeadLand...concerning Bolo’s last post/clue, it’s the next Daves Pick, #31, if I read it correctly?!
Have a grateful day everyone, and have a Happy Holiday 4th July, be safe be alive and rock on !!! God bless.
🙏❤️🤠

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

...I’d like More 1979 please, Ill take my 3 sugars and cream with coffee,lol!
Also some 70’-72’, 76’, 82’-89’ or 90’-94’ would be welcomed as well, as long as the “Audio Quality” is Primo! 😉 which is my top priority for a Full Performance vs a Compilation Piece like the ‘Road Trip Series’...who am I kid’n, I love it all, “feed me Seymour!” Lol ha ha...

Been listen’n & enjoying my, ‘Fillmore West 1969’ boxset, my favorite boxset Release to date, for now...
peace be with you all my fellow brothers & sisters. Long live the Grateful Dead! 🙏❤️💀

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

high fidelity would mean that the shows were recorded to reel to reel.

2-track or multi-track recordings or both. That should narrow it down a bit.

Edit:

Looks like it's Betty Boards from '76 along with 7/18/76.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

First off, let the guy hang here without projecting his comments as clues. Okay, but because his subject line was about our patiently waiting -- a kind but total mis-read, this place is getting hot -- I put my naivete aside and join the speculation.

I don't have much, and he leaves us wondering if he's taunting about DaP 31 or the new box, but...

"every once in a while" could be completed as "get shown the light," a reference to Scarlet Begonias? "Under the bed" (no one puts their GD CDs on the floor under the bed, Bolo has book and CD shelves) ... probably means something. And "til the morning comes" could be a reference to when Morning Dew arrives. (Any shows with Scarlet and Dew?) Also, his line breaks are suspicious -- inviting a naive idjit like me to seek a pattern.

Goddammit Bolo, ya got me going again. Well played!

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by hendrixfreak

from underneath a bedroom cabinet and it has my Download series CD's ...I had lost the files due to an HD crash so yes yes and yes...threw Vol 12 disc 2 in and had a great listen to St Louis '69...cracked up hearing Jerry say "Ok we have to stop playing or the police will take our road manager to jail..." at the end of an aborted "Caution"...also the bonus stuff at the end of the show is a rehearsal of The Eleven & Duprees recorded at the Avalon...have to star ripping these discs back to a couple of externals I use now, 8 TB both...some fun

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

Never in a million years would I have thought that some folks might construe my latest post to be some sort of clue regarding the identity of a box set or DaP31. My apologies, as I'd NEVER want to mislead, confuse or otherwise discombobulate any of the kind souls here on this forum (cough...cough).

But, of course, the post was a clue. Not for the aforementioned products people are breathlessly anticipating, but for a "What's Taking So Dang Long?" contest. Something to do as we all mill aimlessly around while DL casually looks at his watch and ponders the summertime flora and fauna of Vancouver Island.

A careful read of my last entry will reveal a specific venue and associated concert(s). The first person to post the correct answer will receive an assortment of GD-related goodies valued at more than $100, but less than $1 million. As a bonus, if you can name the song that was played for the first time at said show(s), I'll throw in some extra ephemera.

Only one guess per screen name (no screen names created after July 1, 2019). Just post your conjecture here, and the earliest correct answer will get the goods.

Cheers and good luck!

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

In reply to by bolo24

Oooh...

I think it's Harding Theater, November 7, 1971 (and the previous night).

I wish I could hide away!

user picture

Member for

4 years 9 months

Long time listener. First Time caller.

Going with:

06/03-04/76

Oregon - Paramount Theater

Mission in The Rain on 06/04

user picture

Member for

5 years 11 months

I’m going to say the same answer as RoosSQ
However you’ll notice that my screen name was created before July 1st .
( happy to share my winnings though )

user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

I'm guessing the full Fillmore East run from 9/17/70-9/20/70, since "Till the Morning Comes" was first played on 9/18.
Though I could be wrong.
I mean, I usually am.
Until I'm not.
But even then just barely.
I'd dig a '76 box, but "September 70: Fillmore East the Complete Recordings" is my official guess.
Officially.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

12/26/70
12/27/70
12/28/70
Till the Morning Comes
1st time played
09/18/70
Last time played
12/26/70

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

Everyone is guessing dates from 1970 for DaP #31 with the "Til the Morning Comes Line"....I seriously doubt it is from 1970, that's what DaP #30 was from!!?!!

Perhaps it's the Harding Theatre..

The Felt Forum is tucked away under MSG and sort of hidden in the bowels of the NY Subway. Not that I have ever gotten a single one of the bolo riddles so far...….

If we can believe Bolo.. this is not a clue to the next release, which probably means it will be Dave's Picks 31.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

It will be announced tomorrow and will be one of the 4th of July shows.

In my best Colbert voice,,,,, send me award!

Are they for the Box Set or DaP31? Or both?

Predictions:
DaP31 - 6/3/76 Paramount Theater - Portland, Or.
5 songs make their debut/1st performance:
1. Might As Well (opener)
2. Lazy Lightnin' >
3. Supplication (both middle of 1st set)
4. Samson And Delilah (2nd set opener)
5. The Wheel (encore)

I know it's not a favorite but I think this show has my favorite version of 'Looks Like Rain'…BW and DJG are spot-on with vocals and harmonies as JG 'rains' notes around them.

Box Set:
Texas '72 - 11/19, 11/22, 11/24, 11/26. Rhino needs to hit a home run with this one…the last thing they need is another box set sitting in their warehouse. If that happens we may only see box sets every 2 years?

Box Set Dark Horse:
December '69: 12/20, 12/21, 12/26, 12/28-12/31. Includes the legendary Ark run. It would also be the 1st time Rhino tied a Box Set and a DaP together: last shows of '69 and the 1st shows of '70.

I have no idea if the shows are in the vault but it would be a win-win either way!

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

He said "under the bed" and what is under the bed? Box spring and flip it would mean a spring box (set). Or mabey not. I had to guess something. Talk about a shot in the dark.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DaveStrang

Why the fuggazi isn’t this show released?
Have never heard the Bob set, but if it’s Half as good as the JGB one with none other than Billy the K on the skins......

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 11 months

Harding

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

Sheesh. This contest was over almost before it started!

Congrats to Richard Torres, correctly guessing the Harding Theatre, two 1971 shows, Hide Away made its GD debut.

Send me your address via PM and I'll get you your box o' goodies. Unless you're the same Richard Torres from the NSA who oversaw the implantation of an evil minibot on my cerebral cortex during my first alien abduction. If you're that guy, forget I was even on here.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

Also i predict new box is portchester nov70 with pristine complete 48 track recording

And bonus show 11 20 70

user picture

Member for

5 years 11 months

FYI all the nov 7th 1971 Harding show has been available on amazon now quite a while now ( in the uk anyway ) . Pleeeeaaaasssseeee can we have a uk/Europe distribution centre , otherwise any large box is a no no on account of getting absolutely stuffed with import tax . 🙀

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by perithecat

. . ..I can hear your voice.
It's cool shit like that that keeps me coming back...n

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-30-1.html