• 2,500 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Who's up for a revolutionary evolutionary ride? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, NEW YORK 1/2/70 captures the Grateful Dead as they make their first foray from the experimental 60s into their early 70s acoustic Americana period. Yes, this one is a little bit country and a little bit (psychedelic) rock and roll.

When the "Magnificent Seven" - Pigpen on percussion, T.C. on keys - first took the stage on 1/2/70, evidence was clear that the trip was about to take a turn. From their western wears to the twang in Jerry’s “broken-string blues,” it appeared they'd brought the Bakersfield sound to the Big Apple. They worked through much of what would become Workingman's Dead, stunning the crowd with laid-back numbers like "Uncle John's Band," "Casey Jones," and "Black Peter." Just the same, they satisfied 60s stalwarts with magical versions of "Dark Star," "St. Stephen," and "That's It For The Other One." Sonic alchemy, indeed!

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, ​New York 1/2/70 has been rounded out with a bit of 1/3/70 (the subscribers-only bonus disc features the bulk of 1/3/70). It was recorded by the great Owsley "Bear" Stanley and has been lovingly mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • icecrmcnkd

You are not the only one. Sad, but true.

This is copied from

https://www.dead.net/forum/got-issues-your-store-order

——————-

August 30, 2019 - 4:29pm#2
    WHISKYHAWK

Still Waiting For DaP 30 To Be Delivered
    Anyone else having this issue?

Per Dead.net Customer Service, 'Our new warehouse has advised that they have been unable to locate any numbered copies of Dave’s Picks Volume 30. With that confirmation, we have decided to produce a small, separately-numbered run of this title. We will use these copies to replace your missing or damaged Dave’s Picks Volume 30 shipment. Our production team has advised that the new, limited-edition run will be available in 2 months. "

Well, it's been two months and no word, no communication. Very frustrating.
    ——————-

• marye
    send me a PM.
  • JimInMD

Send a PM to MaryE on this site. ..and do it quickly!! that was a long time ago.

• dajokr

Still have not received my DAve's 30 with Bonus Disc. Multiple emails to customer service and no joy. Anybody who can help????

• daverock

Looks reasonable enough to me. The only holes in my collection are the Fillmore West 1969 box set, and the first 1990 box set. I bought the second one, Spring 1990, after quite along wait, as I am not a big fan of 1990. But I was, and continue to be, surprised at how much I like the show within. Every time I play 3/14/90, which I believe is the first in the box, I feel moved to go on and listen to the whole. I keep looking around for the first one, but I haven't seen it for sale anywhere yet. I wouldn't spend a fortune on it, but if its anything like this second one....then I have missed out big time.

A cautionary tale for me, actually, thinking now that I wouldn't get this years box if it is from beyond 1974.

• Diggey
    Default Avatar

I hope I'm not breaking any rules and can delete this if I am. I have some Dead cds and Dave's Picks for sale and wanted to put them up here. I'm not trying to get rich, just movin' out some clutter. Send me a message and payPal preferred. shipping is included for all of them listed. Thanks

San Francisco, The Warfield 10/9 and 10/10/80- Record Store Day CD- $16 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 27- Boise State U, 9/2/83- $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 28- Capital Theater, Passaic, NJ, 6/17/76 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 29- Swing Auditorium, San Bernadino, Ca, 2/26/77 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Fillmore East, NY, 1/2/70 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Bonus CD- Fillmore East, NY, 1/3/70 - $30 shipping included

• kyleharmon

i'll make my official box set prediction here: Summer '90

• JimInMD

Gave this one last spin before the Dave's 31 announcement. This will be remembered as an excellent release with a great bonus disc if you subscribed.

2019 will be remembered as a good year.

• Oroborous

Fall 79, Awesome!
    Nice to mix it up a little, thanks guys!
    Also, like hearing how their going to keep trying more variety.
    But ultimately, like Dave said, not about the set list or what they played etc, it’s about how they played it!
    Personally, I’m not familiar with this one but ifs it’s anything like 11/9, 11/5&6, 12/1, or the New Years run I think we’re going to be happy!

• wissinomingdeadhead
    Default Avatar

FINALLY 1979

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

Who's up for a revolutionary evolutionary ride? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, NEW YORK 1/2/70 captures the Grateful Dead as they make their first foray from the experimental 60s into their early 70s acoustic Americana period. Yes, this one is a little bit country and a little bit (psychedelic) rock and roll.

When the "Magnificent Seven" - Pigpen on percussion, T.C. on keys - first took the stage on 1/2/70, evidence was clear that the trip was about to take a turn. From their western wears to the twang in Jerry’s “broken-string blues,” it appeared they'd brought the Bakersfield sound to the Big Apple. They worked through much of what would become Workingman's Dead, stunning the crowd with laid-back numbers like "Uncle John's Band," "Casey Jones," and "Black Peter." Just the same, they satisfied 60s stalwarts with magical versions of "Dark Star," "St. Stephen," and "That's It For The Other One." Sonic alchemy, indeed!

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, ​New York 1/2/70 has been rounded out with a bit of 1/3/70 (the subscribers-only bonus disc features the bulk of 1/3/70). It was recorded by the great Owsley "Bear" Stanley and has been lovingly mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by CaseyJanes

And a big Sunny Rocky Mnt. how do you do!
Nice to see Wjones and the always entertaining CaseyJ back with us.....
CJ, was worried you some how smuggled in your magic carpet, got turned on to some ultra government top secret veggies, lifting off somewhere between HCS and Dark Star, and decided to fly the length of the Columbia, eventually needing to crash in some uncharted PNW forest, only to be kiddnaped by a secret clan of Uber Sasquatch....”ancient alien theorist say yes!” Who we’re so high, intelligent and kind that we would never hear from the likes of you again, not that there’d be anything wrong with that lol
Couldn’t help but pick up on the less than Bolo type clue about “we weren’t listening to the return bus instructions” ha, bet a few of us here know where that’s going! Lol

BOX: yep, looking like whoever said the announcement was going to be after Dave’s 31 is gonna win the prize...
Prize you say? .......yea,
“Upon your death you will receive divine consciousness.....which is nice”

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Its not a matter of snoozing and losing

Its about a SHITBRAINED SYSTEM AND LAMENESS ON THE PART OF THE PTB AT THE GORGE.

luckily for you all, i am headed to work...keeping my day job and all that

Have a pleasant day, y'all

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

“My mom let me go to Grateful Dead shows when I was 12 or 13 years old. The things that taught me,” Austin told Relix in 2009. “And I think about these kids – it’s like a sense of community, a different sense of giving and caring – we’re all here together. If you create something, you’ll have this beautiful bubble that will occur.”

Read more: https://relix.com/news/detail/in-memoriam-jeff-austin/#ixzz5rt4azryg

😓

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

What a bummer. Heard over the weekend he was in the hospital. These guys got me hooked into bluegrass in 2001-2002 era, and I was lucky to see them a bunch in the early aughts. Jeff was unquestionably the leader of that band. He was a great songwriter and a better singer. Time to put on an old Yonder show.

user picture

Member for

7 years

The link to the book was cool. It reminds me of the stories I have had traveling with the dead in the 80's. It is like losing a faithful dog that was always there to make sure you were ok. You never forget those times. Some people may think it's just a concert but it was more then that. Those people would not understand unless they were there.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by carlo13

Right on!

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

If I have to explain, you wouldn’t understand (insert dead graphic)....I think you will enjoy the rest of my story....stay tuned!

user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

I told you all I have been exploring 1974 much more since accepting the sonic issues that go along with it. I'm full blown rampage now, which is ironic considering my last full blown rampage was 1974.

I have also observed there are only about a half-dozen Dark Stars from 74. That is almost a criminal act.

What I don't get is the popularity of DaP 2 Dillon Stadium. Awful audio. Is it simply because it's hard to get that it's so expensive on eBay? The show doesn't sound like anything special to me, maybe the poor audio is not helping. Can we all agree it's one of the worst sounding shows of 74?

And I will be needing rankings of all Eyes of the World from this year. I've come to the conclusion that they are the best ones, but if 73 needs to be included then so be it. Not interested in two drummer Eyes unless it's One from the Vault.

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

Greek Theatre, 15, 16, 17 July 1988 just arrived today. It doesn't sound as good as a Normanized Plangent deal, but it sounds pretty good for a radio broadcast. Six discs for a little over thirty dollars.

Slaked my thirst while waiting for the box announcement. Not to mention the announcement is just the dangling of the carrot... the ship date can't be before Fall '19, at this point.

Jerry's vocal on the seldom played "Believe It Or Not," is extremely soulful. I'm just sayin'.

\m/

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

11/17/73 is my favorite '73 version so far.

Coattail Skeletons 7/19/74 has a Dyno-MITE version.

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

Now I'm thinking it may be the long awaited Boston Ark 69 shows. It's the 50th anniversary of the shows and Bolo said it's "about time those incredible shows were released". Bolo's clues may be hinting at Noah's Ark.
From Bolo's post:
Religious references: "grace of God", "glorious", "soul"
Storm reference: "Kesey's Thunder Machine"
Animal references:
1. "China"-----China CAT
2. "dark side of the moon"-----(pink floyd)-----ANIMALS
3. "Starbucks"------(Moby Dick)-----WHALE
4. "Cheetos"-----(Chester Cheetah)----CHEETAH

Right? Is anyone with me on this?

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by Gollum

Ark would be cooooool

What does a yellow dog say?

"Ark, man...Ark"

Your avatar is awesome

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

....🤔 I have nothing.
Wait. Liberace tickled the ivories. Tusks are made of ivory. ELEPHANTS!
i still have nothing....

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

May 77 - Number 3 Palladium April 29-May 4!
1st Leg April '78 Curtis Hixon>Huntington,WV 4-16-1978 What about Sporto?

June '85
OR
June '91

Alaska '80? Msg '79 or '81?

P.S. Mike Edwards, Mr, Pid, dstache, OneMan, ComicBodger, Space Face? I beg you call the tune... :-)\\

Stuart Walker? sherbear? marye? monsieur Joe EVERYONE?

Happy Summer and carpe diem...

Love, Jeff

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Butch

9/11 at Alexandra Palace is a good one. Very long, very spacy. After 1974 they always seemed in too much of a hurry when they played it. The 1976 ones especially-too fast, too short. And that seemed to set the template for the song for ever after.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

...yes, those IPA's were good last night :-/ :-)

P.S. Traffic Lights x4 and Chimneys.

Multi-track from October 1969 or April 1971

Could be something from Fillmore West 1970 acoustic electric

Or more from 1989. Philadelphia Spectrum 3 shows

user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

In reply to by mbarilla

Hey looking for someone to pick up an extra pin from a couple shows. Anyone going to Bristow , Charlotte , Atlanta or Dallas ? I had plans to go to Bristow , Charlotte and Atlanta but my dog had heart attacks last week. Had to cancel all plans and keep him company

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

Check your PM

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by CaseyJanes

Hopefully it’s a spectacularly Plangentized offering.

The real worry is Vault safety. Hopefully Warner has a better fire prevention system than Universal Music.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/8517618/universal-music-fir…

High Time to pick up the pace of releases, that way if something does happen in the future hopefully all the good sounding shows will have already been released.

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

I probably won't be able to get the box...my wife looks at me strangely

user picture

Member for

7 years

Wow, that article is sad. Especially Cheech and chong and rodney dangerfield. The Captain and tennille not so much.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by carlo13

And what about Spinal Tap.....I was really hoping they’d rerelease an audiophile version of Smell the Glove!

CAPTCHA sux. I can handle one screen of "find the bikes, ya damn fool", but 6 screens of buses, crosswalks, and festering sores is too much.

It's not like we are trying to hack into Fort Knox or something

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

First Girl of the North Country since 8/27/14 tonight in Stockholm (also first Can't Wait since 2012).

Not my video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaFCERlqVPo

Sounding good. The Can't Wait is nice too...sounds like Stayin' Alive, haha. Waiting for a late summer / fall US announcement.

Anyone check out the new Rolling Thunder Revue box and Netflix special?

Gonna catch Dead & Company in ATL this weekend. Saw the Stones last Friday, first and only time for me. Worth it! Amazing that Mick had a valve in his heart replaced two months ago, he was all over the stage non-stop like it was the 70s. I got winded putting on the t-shirt I bought at the show.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Just saw your post, I can check in Atlanta if you still need it. Thoughts to your dog!!! You are prioritizing correctly.

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/25/magazine/universal-music-fire-bands-…

Here's an article I had just read before coming over here, and, sure enough it's already being discussed. I can't believe UMG lost millions of masters and were able to keep it silent for 11 years. The exceedingly long list of artists who were impacted is truly sad. Buddy Holly, Charles Mingus, John Coltrane, The Who, Tom Petty, The Carter Family, even a Martin Luther King, Jr speech that was recorded and released. Decca and Chess records. Unbelievable. Who knows what kind of brilliant work lay unreleased and unheard until the conflagration meant they would never be heard.

Also, I remember Dave made a joke on the Hofheinz 11/18/72 release page about not being able to hear Hoyt Axton Explodes without a turntable, though now it may be impossible for them to even think about a re-release as his masters are also thought to have been destroyed. I hope the artists get a massive settlement from UMG, which is worth $33 billion.

user picture

Member for

7 years

In All in the family season 6 'Archie, the babysitter'. Gloria hires a babysitter and the babysitters boyfriend who comes over to hang out with her, brings over 2 albums. One is Blues for Allah and the other is the rolling stones. You can see both sides of B.F.A album with jerry and the band and the front pretty clearly. The boyfriend says " I brought over the grateful dead and the Rolling stones" and Archie says "yeah I've heard of those grave diggers before". Good episode.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

I was shocked to read this, never heard about it. Very sad indeed.

You can never believe they don't have fire system in these places and take a greater value in the stuff they have.

The BBC tossed out a chunk of Doctor Who's cause they needed the storage?

A wild spec I heard years ago on TCM was that 1/2 the movies made before 1950 are GONE.

user picture

Member for

7 years

I think the films were watched over by people who don't give a shit. Then you get people like Dave L. And the others who protect their music and concerts with love and respect like they should be treated.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by carlo13

....first I've heard of this as well. 100,000 masters? Oops indeed. Note to selves. Celluloid does not handle heat very well. That's why I keep mine in Montana. On the Canadian border. As Red Foreman would say, "dumbasses!"
One of my favorite TV dads. Up there with Archie Bunker and Al Bundy.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

NOT THE ASIA MASTERS!!!!!

But seriously, it's the greatest prog-gone-pop-rock album ever. Credit where it's due - producer Mike Stone pulled that record out of his ass.

I would have said maaaaybe Duke was better, but they crossed the line with Dukes Travels
- that song is as progressive rock as 1980 could possibly sound.

user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

Hot Rize~Take It Home
String Cheese 9-3-98 Strawberry Music Fest.,Camp Mather~Yosemite,California
Herbie Hancock~Head Hunters
G.D. 4-14-71 Lewisburg,Pennsylvania
Hot Tuna 71-7-3 Fillmore~San Fran.
:O)

user picture

Member for

5 years 11 months

Listening to the Englishtown half step this morning and towards the end of an absolutely fantastic version was brought to tears during the Rio grande refrain at the thought of that father and daughter picture from earlier this week .
Come on Donald stop being such a bell end and cut these guys some slack , the worlds not just a rich mans playground .

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by perithecat

As much as I have issues with the current administration, people come to this lil' area to escape all that.

May God welcome the father and daughter's souls to heaven. I am sincere in that.

Please let this board be a refuge from the ills of the world (wake up to find out that there's lots of ills in the world).

Grateful for life
Dead for life
Grateful Dead promote life
"the Grateful Dead are the antidote to the atom bomb" - Joseph Campbell

user picture

Member for

5 years 11 months

Sorry , never meant to bring politics onto this site - it’s not even something I’m that bothered about anymore - as we say over here “ same shit different colour “ I guess the music caught up with me .

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by perithecat

I think you have to at least put 6/18/74 on the list of top performances in the 73/74 period.

I have to say.. although I do like 73/74 versions the most.. it is one of the few songs where the rearrangement did not ruin it for me. There are some true gems post hiatus. I believe it to be one of the better original songs in their cannon. When I used to hear the opening chords at shows, I perked up a bit and paid attention. It rarely disappointed.

ok. Back to your regularly scheduled Estimated > Eyes.

(Edit: Or Eyes>China Doll) :D

she refers to Jerry as "their vocalist and lead guitarist" (vocalist...singular...and listed ahead of guitar)

as I have said before: I don't listen to the GD for the vocals.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-30-1.html