• 2,500 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Who's up for a revolutionary evolutionary ride? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, NEW YORK 1/2/70 captures the Grateful Dead as they make their first foray from the experimental 60s into their early 70s acoustic Americana period. Yes, this one is a little bit country and a little bit (psychedelic) rock and roll.

When the "Magnificent Seven" - Pigpen on percussion, T.C. on keys - first took the stage on 1/2/70, evidence was clear that the trip was about to take a turn. From their western wears to the twang in Jerry’s “broken-string blues,” it appeared they'd brought the Bakersfield sound to the Big Apple. They worked through much of what would become Workingman's Dead, stunning the crowd with laid-back numbers like "Uncle John's Band," "Casey Jones," and "Black Peter." Just the same, they satisfied 60s stalwarts with magical versions of "Dark Star," "St. Stephen," and "That's It For The Other One." Sonic alchemy, indeed!

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, ​New York 1/2/70 has been rounded out with a bit of 1/3/70 (the subscribers-only bonus disc features the bulk of 1/3/70). It was recorded by the great Owsley "Bear" Stanley and has been lovingly mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • icecrmcnkd

You are not the only one. Sad, but true.

This is copied from

https://www.dead.net/forum/got-issues-your-store-order

——————-

August 30, 2019 - 4:29pm#2
    WHISKYHAWK

Still Waiting For DaP 30 To Be Delivered
    Anyone else having this issue?

Per Dead.net Customer Service, 'Our new warehouse has advised that they have been unable to locate any numbered copies of Dave’s Picks Volume 30. With that confirmation, we have decided to produce a small, separately-numbered run of this title. We will use these copies to replace your missing or damaged Dave’s Picks Volume 30 shipment. Our production team has advised that the new, limited-edition run will be available in 2 months. "

Well, it's been two months and no word, no communication. Very frustrating.
    ——————-

• marye
    send me a PM.
  • JimInMD

Send a PM to MaryE on this site. ..and do it quickly!! that was a long time ago.

• dajokr

Still have not received my DAve's 30 with Bonus Disc. Multiple emails to customer service and no joy. Anybody who can help????

• daverock

Looks reasonable enough to me. The only holes in my collection are the Fillmore West 1969 box set, and the first 1990 box set. I bought the second one, Spring 1990, after quite along wait, as I am not a big fan of 1990. But I was, and continue to be, surprised at how much I like the show within. Every time I play 3/14/90, which I believe is the first in the box, I feel moved to go on and listen to the whole. I keep looking around for the first one, but I haven't seen it for sale anywhere yet. I wouldn't spend a fortune on it, but if its anything like this second one....then I have missed out big time.

A cautionary tale for me, actually, thinking now that I wouldn't get this years box if it is from beyond 1974.

• Diggey
    Default Avatar

I hope I'm not breaking any rules and can delete this if I am. I have some Dead cds and Dave's Picks for sale and wanted to put them up here. I'm not trying to get rich, just movin' out some clutter. Send me a message and payPal preferred. shipping is included for all of them listed. Thanks

San Francisco, The Warfield 10/9 and 10/10/80- Record Store Day CD- $16 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 27- Boise State U, 9/2/83- $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 28- Capital Theater, Passaic, NJ, 6/17/76 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 29- Swing Auditorium, San Bernadino, Ca, 2/26/77 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Fillmore East, NY, 1/2/70 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Bonus CD- Fillmore East, NY, 1/3/70 - $30 shipping included

• kyleharmon

i'll make my official box set prediction here: Summer '90

• JimInMD

Gave this one last spin before the Dave's 31 announcement. This will be remembered as an excellent release with a great bonus disc if you subscribed.

2019 will be remembered as a good year.

• Oroborous

Fall 79, Awesome!
    Nice to mix it up a little, thanks guys!
    Also, like hearing how their going to keep trying more variety.
    But ultimately, like Dave said, not about the set list or what they played etc, it’s about how they played it!
    Personally, I’m not familiar with this one but ifs it’s anything like 11/9, 11/5&6, 12/1, or the New Years run I think we’re going to be happy!

• wissinomingdeadhead
    Default Avatar

FINALLY 1979

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 2 months

Who's up for a revolutionary evolutionary ride? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, NEW YORK 1/2/70 captures the Grateful Dead as they make their first foray from the experimental 60s into their early 70s acoustic Americana period. Yes, this one is a little bit country and a little bit (psychedelic) rock and roll.

When the "Magnificent Seven" - Pigpen on percussion, T.C. on keys - first took the stage on 1/2/70, evidence was clear that the trip was about to take a turn. From their western wears to the twang in Jerry’s “broken-string blues,” it appeared they'd brought the Bakersfield sound to the Big Apple. They worked through much of what would become Workingman's Dead, stunning the crowd with laid-back numbers like "Uncle John's Band," "Casey Jones," and "Black Peter." Just the same, they satisfied 60s stalwarts with magical versions of "Dark Star," "St. Stephen," and "That's It For The Other One." Sonic alchemy, indeed!

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, ​New York 1/2/70 has been rounded out with a bit of 1/3/70 (the subscribers-only bonus disc features the bulk of 1/3/70). It was recorded by the great Owsley "Bear" Stanley and has been lovingly mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

7 years

It's all in fun. I would not push the limit. Your right it could come back.

user picture

Member for

7 years

Trying to hold my tongue is so hard. Like Ted nugent. In a "Stranglehold baby".

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

In reply to by carlo13

"HERE I COME AGAIN NOW BAAAABAAAYYYY LIKE A DOG IN HEAT"

never mind that only female dogs go into heat

but anyway

interesting (?) random share

when i hear the name nugent
i think of nougat
that stuff in 3 musketeers

wtf

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

box setting announcement won't be until August 1

just got GD bulletin

no box announcement

they are going to make us wait

"they're never early
they're always late
first thing you learn is
you always gotta wait"

user picture

Member for

7 years

" I need an overdose of rock and roll, yeaaah"

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

Yes it's true, David Gilmour has finally launched his long-awaited Dave Clark Five tribute project.

Okay, maybe not. However, there's a news item out there that over one hundred of David Gilmour's guitars went up for auction earlier today in New York. Monies raised amounted to over 21 million dollars... that famous black Strat alone went for nearly 4 million.

He's donating all the proceeds to a charity comprised of lawyers and environmentalist types, hoping to combat climate change on the front lines. Still an idealist, after all these years. My hat is off to him.

In that spirit, his was the most recent listen of my past five:

David Gilmour - Rattle That Lock

Traffic - John Barleycorn Must Die

Grateful Dead - 5/17/77, Tuscaloosa AL

KISS - Alive II

Paris Combo - 5

\m/

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by LedDed

Gilmore tribute to the Dave Clark Five. You had me man.. albeit you had me in disbelief, but what do I know anyway.

Great head fake and I did google it just to be sure.

Big Gilmour fan, I don't hide that. Really pissed I missed the auction for the Black Strat.. oh well. Glad to see such a generous donation for such an important cause.

Saw Dave the last time he came to the states.. a meltdown performance for sure, but a bit bittersweet as Richard Wright was not able to attend and I believe this means we will probably not see any surviving members of the Floyd play Meddle again. At least that was my take.. I could be wrong.

Go David, Go. I'm with you man.. a tribute album to the Dave Clark Five, or a take on the Dave Brubeck Quartet or perhaps The Captain and Tennille and friends do the Floyd.. It could very well be we don't see too much work from Mr. Gilmour, whatever he gives us I will at least pay attention to.

user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

In reply to by Trainwrecked

Pretty sure Dave's 5 didn't come with a bonus disc, LMG. Not that I can recall at least. Granted, I'm not the sharp tack that I once were. But if a bonus disc was riding shotgun with the UCLA show (one of my faves), I'd love to hear it.

Traffic lights, crosswalks, "vehicles", crosswalks again, store fronts, traffic lights again, buses...

It's like running the gauntlet.

user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

lol funny, you actually said it twice, like you want someone to say something, ok, I'll bite. It's base will never ratify legal weed, they hate anything that gives you a buzz, the religious zealots will not allow it, the staunch repubs will not allow it and the ignorant will not allow it, so that's off the table, but it's funny that you would think that. It will have to think up something else to fool the public with this time, we have all heard it's "dirty stories" and none of them are real. Just more lies from the master of lies. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

Shoulda worn a size thoyteen!

Now where were we? The box set. My personal hope is 1972, and big big big. But if it's not 1972, I would be floored with either the Port Chester or Fillmore East shows from '71.

Peace all, have a Grateful Day

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Got the launch codes from my buddy last night to watch Dead & Company in Jersey. I can say I ALMOST NEVER watch video of bands. But there was nothing but shit on and I was curious about making this shit work on my TV. After futzing for quite a while I got it to work thru the X-Box.

Couple of things -

Guess I got it working between sets and they were showing an interview with Jerry. Where I came in he was talking about Neal. I was enjoying this when it just ended and switched back to the concert. Anyone know what or where this interview can be had?

Second - Though I did not watch the whole thing I watch Ship of Fools. I thought they did a marvelous job on it. Oteil vocals were VERY nice.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by dreading

Dear Sammy,
First, let me apologize for repeating myself. I come here just to relax and goof and hopefully feel a sense of community. Something that I’m severely lacking in these days. So I do so very informally. Sorta like a jam session, especially since I have no outlets to play music anymore. I also have read too much Cassidy, Kerouac, Kesey etc, so I tend to stream of consciousness too much. That problem caused me grief during my educational years. Finally, I’m old and forget a lot. So again, I apologize to you and everyone for this fault.
Secondly, things have been slow around here so sometimes I’m just trying to throw things out there that maybe will jump start some conversation. It’s amazing how many different, fun, and interesting things we can learn here, Deadheads have always been an interesting bunch, from Jerry on down.
Lastly, to your comment, your probably right, except he seems to be able to do what ever he wants and the base doesn’t care; pussy grabbing, infidelity, constant lying etc...they love em anyway. More importantly, it’s all about money....like Weir Says “the whole goddamn government is bought and sold” So if for example, the Koch brothers decided that their missing out on a multi-billions, yes with a B, and decide they want in, I believe the PTB will find a way to spin it so it works for them/him to hold unto power, while making bank at the same time...
Maybe they’ll take the “let’s help the poor epileptic children” tack and come in the back door with medical like most states have?
This stuff is usually never about the base it’s about getting the opposition, to steal votes, or gain the fence sitters. So that and making the power elite (see C. Wright Mills) the one percent etc filthy rich is why I think this way. Trump himself has changed his stance slightly, didn’t he even tell lil Jeff to back off a bit? The man is a chameleon, and one of the things he’ll always change for is money!
In closing, let me say I don’t support this administration, but I basically think all the government, no matter what party...their all a bunch of slimy, greedy, crooks, that’ll do anything for money and/or power.
Sorry, don’t mean to get political here folks......
Hopefully now back to drums and space.....

user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

but you do remember that it mentioned legalization before and the evangelists lost it and sent him a multi signed letter or something to that effect saying that they would not support such a thing. I think the world would be a better place if marijuana was legal, but unfortunately, there is still more money in incarceration than legalization. I have been waiting my entire adult life for legalization, or at least decriminalization, and when it comes, I hope that they forgive all past convictions and release all offenders from incarceration and wipe all offenses from the people's record that have been prosecuted.
I also like and welcome your posts, it just seemed that you wanted to talk about the situation and I assumed that is why you mentioned it twice, forgive me if I was wrong, just the fact that you even mentioned it on this site is brave and I salute you for that, unfortunately, if you talk about anything now days that matters, it seems that you have to include what he might do.
By the by, you can call me Unkle, or you can call me Sam, but please, not Sammy. lol

user picture

Member for

8 years

...been enjoying the Grateful Dead Movie soundtrack 5CD release. CD#2 knocked my socks off earlyier and CD 3 is working it’s magic as I write this...I wasn’t always a huge fan of the mix back in 1994 I believe, because the mix had a lot of added bass or reverb something of that effect but I’m love’n it now.
🙏❤️💀

I have been away for a while, and just seen your post-no you did not cause any bad feelings at all. And I liked that poem you printed out by Hartley Coleridge. I know of him as STC's son, but I didn't know he was also a poet in his own right.

Just got back from London seeing King Crimson and a Van Gogh exhibition - incredible. I did expect the box announcement when I came on here, though. I think this is because I feel as though I have been away longer in terms of experience than I have in actual measurable time.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Just seen your post saying that it seems unlikely that any surviving members of Floyd would play any of Meddle again. I don't know if they play in the States, but Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets band played Fearless when I saw them a few months ago-maybe One of These Days, too-but I'm not so sure about that one. I don't think any of them will ever play Echoes again, though. But definitely worth seeing if they do pitch up in your neck of the woods.

user picture

Member for

7 years

King crimson was also a character in the Stephen king dark tower series if I remember correctly. All hail the crimson king.

user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

Watching JimInMD's King Crimson video. Never gave these guys a fair chance. Probably the only big prog band of the 70s I ignored. That music is so complex and weirdly timed that they can't even play without watching each other. Funny. Doesn't look like much fun. I like Mr. Clean Tony Levin. He toured with Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe in '89. I didn't realize Bruford was on the electronic drum kit as early as '82. It would have been nice to hear Bruford with Yes throughout the '70s, but he would have walked out during Topographic Oceans sessions if he hadn't already walked out after Close to the Edge. Or I guess he may have brought some balance to the record. But to leave before the Close to the Edge Tour was sheer madness. Or perfectly good musical reasons (rabullshitahemahem).

So come on and let the good times roll....even if it takes allll night long!

KIETHFAN; where art though? Hopefully your not turning blue in some nitrous haze?
Perhaps you’ve gone deep into the quintessential comparative analysis of quadlibit for the tenderfoot, or comparing guitar intonation of all the cautions? Be careful amigo and remember to always ware your seatbelt 😁

DAVEROCK: welcome back, sounds like an awesome London trip! Haven’t been to a London yet, bet it’s amazing?
Alas, like brother vguy I have not seen any of the Floyd gang, sigh, but as you say, I hear Nick Masons new gig is great!
If they come somewhere close etc, will try and catch them.

JIMMD; I don’t care what anyone says, your alright!

UNCLE; I don’t disagree with you and can see it play out either way. It’s so true that unfortunately there is still so much fear and loathing about the devils weed! Idiots! Its so ironic that often the folks who are so scared of it are angry drunk types. I especially agree with your mention of the whole Crimal Justice system for profit as a major pathology in our supposed free society. Also, thanks for the kind words. As far as “going through all these things twice” perhaps subliminally I did repeat it it intentionally lol. .....or I mighta forgot 😉
Oh, but can we call you uncle Sammy!

CHARLIE; aaa, I forget but there was something from the last day or too, oops.
Oh, also, I believe you live near old Tom from Mountain men? If so, my wife wants to know if he’s “as sweet in real life as on tv”.....that is if you even know him? That sure is puuurty country up,there!

CASEYJANE; ??? Starting to get worried....you haven’t made us laugh in a while....believe last we heard you were prepping for the gorge?

WILFRED, how you holding up?

Ok, it’s strawberry beer time!
Rock on mi amigos and have a wonderful WE!

user picture

Member for

7 years

Buffalo, war memorial 5/9/77 tape is broken. I still listen to my tape player.

user picture

Member for

7 years

The package store next to my house just received a beer and wine license, so fresh beer when needed. Just what the Doctor ordered!!!

user picture

Member for

7 years

What? It sounds strange and doable. Who makes it?

Funny.. I was thinking Echo's and wrote Meddle. Sorry, about that.. and you skillfully meandered around my mistake in a most polite way. You are a kind soul Daverock.. thanks for always pushing the conversations forward.

But yes.. Echo's. Maybe Nick or Roger will perform it again, but I don't think they currently are (then again haven't been tracking that close). David Gilmour has already indicated he likely won't play it again. Something about the timing and his finger work just won't convey with someone on Keys.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Never heard of the mountain man show till your post, but when I looked it up it appears that Tom lives in the Yaak which is way more remote than where I am which is about a 1/2 hour south of Missoula. The Yaak is way up in the Northwest corner of the state. I moved from New York to Montana in '97 and I love Montana. Nice low population density and spectacular scenery, people are generally nice, great place. But don't get any ideas, we're full;)

DaveRock, the Van Gogh exhibit must have been awesome, some of his stuff really does it for me. I am not really educated as far as painting and art, but I know what I like and Van Gogh is on the list. Also really dig Edward Hopper and a number of Japanese Wood Block artists, particularly Hiroshige and Kawase Hasui. Something about some of those woodblocks just clicks for me, especially some of the Kawase Hasui. I believe that Van Gogh was also a Hiroshige fan. I think both Hopper and Hasui looked at the 20th century transition from rural and pastoral to modern and urban, with Hopper doing a great job capturing the sense of modern social isolation. Good stuff. As far as the Hartley Coleridge poem, I dig some of those romantic poets, especially William Wordsworth, and some of the American transcendentalists. So much stuff to dig, so little time...

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

....they are everywhere. Tonight I bought a sixer of Dragons & YumYums by Dogfish Head in collaboration with The Flaming Lips. Excuse me while I break out the bifocals. Ingredients. Pale Ale brewed with Dragonfruit, Yumberry, Passion Fruit, Pear and Black Carrot juice.
....and it's pretty Yumberryish. Yum.

Yum....

CARLO: yaaassss strawberry beer. Normally don’t go for that kinda stuff, but in this case it’s usaully done well, meaning not overdone. For best results it must be ice cold and on a hot day.....unfortunately it’s supposed to snow here tonight ; ) It is made only once a year at the Gleenwood Springs Brewpub. It’s a good half hour to forty minute ride and we have arrived to find them already temporarily sold out, but the drive through Glenwwod canyon alone is worth it.
It’s only available while supplies last, which is usually through the weekend, occasionally it might last a week or so...
Becareful of that new neighbor, as familiarity can bread contempt 😉

CHARLIE; perhaps I’m thinking of old Character (retired) Rich Lewis from the Ruby valley, or his young replacement Jake Hedak from the Tabacoo Root mountains?, or the bitterroot valley sounds familiar? Sorry I’m getting mixed up?
Knew old Tom was way up yonder, but somehow thought you were up there too. Wherever, I’m sure it’s awesome,
Only drove though there from Portland to Bozeman to do merch at a Band show at the High School Auditorium back in 96 I think it was, and then on to Boulder.....some wild, amazing drives! I’ll always remember from Spokane through the panhandle and across Montana to Bozeman....one of the best drives ever! Remember back then hitting the tana border and this giant sign declaring the speed limit as “reasonable and prudent”? With like 70 after dark....so I asked the cop at the show the next night what the hell that means, it’s pretty ambiguous? So he says it depends on what your driving and what the conditions are, and yes just like Jay Leno used to say, we pull you over and basically give you like a ten dollar fine lol....
Know what your saying about no more room at the inn, hear tana’s catching up to Colorado, but it’s starting to be friggin Cali here, hell half of Cali is moving here, and of course half of Texas comes every summer! But c’est la vie!
Ok, enough ramblin, time to go fire up the two channel and PLAY DEAD!

user picture

Member for

7 years

Thanks for the fruit beer tutorial guys.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Yeah, that was the speed limit when I moved out here and it was EXCELLENT. Can't complain too much though, daytime limit on the interstate is still 80 mph and 70 mph on the other highways.

Looking at the post below this one, its surprising to see a v.d clinic advertising on here. Anyway...

Orobouros-London is great and terrible at the same time. I am very lucky, swanning about to art galleries and concerts. King Crimson played at The Royal Albert Hall, one of the most luxurious venues in town. But...there are abandoned bodies just lying on the street. Outside my hotel coming back from the gig there was a young man kneeling on the sidewalk next to a girl, pleading with her to wake up. And there are building works every where. Little nooks and crannies are being ironed out and replaced with glass and steel buildings owned by corporations. So...its a city.

Charlie-you seem to haver similar taste to art and poetry as me. I know nothing about art either, but I do like going to galleries-and there was a brilliant Edward Hopper one here about 10 years ago. The Van Gogh paintings were incredible to actually see, as opposed to looking at the reproductions. The paintings seem to be almost alive-bursting with colour and energy. I couldn't believe my eyes. I have never taken time to look at Japanese art-as you suggest-so much to love-so little time.
I also like the romantic poets-Coleridge-the other one- and William Blake are the ones I keep returning too. I love the illustrated copies of Blakes poetry. The Marriage of Heaven and Hell, with its instructional Proverbs of Hell could appeal to any curious Deadhead.

As for the music of King Crimson-Trainwrecked-I would look away now. There are an ever increasing quantity of expensive box sets being released, and once you tip your toe in the water-splash! If you are foolish enough to risk it, the essential ones are the first, "In The Court of the Crimson King", and the final 70s one, "Red".

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

Woke up this morning a little after 7 to a crisp low humidity 52 degrees, brewed a fresh pot of some fine Ethiopian coffee I roasted yesterday.. and decided to hit the front porch to watch the hummingbirds and check out TIGDH on SiriusXM (6/22/85 Alpine Valley).

I forgot.. they do this big road bike race called the Gran Fondo in the county where I live… so multitudes of road bikers zoom past the house all day long. Very cool.. I got to hell Get of my Grass, Hippies to hundreds of people.. There's a 1,000 foot downhill section that ends just as you pass my house, then they cross the river and climb....

It's a multi-tiered race attracting 1,000.. the hardest race is the Diabolical Double.. 126 miles with over 16,500 feet of climbing. There's some sick, twisted people out there.. There are easier races. Anyway.. most enjoyable to tell 1,000 people to stay off my grass.

Sorry for the diversion, back to your regularly scheduled Day Job Encore.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-30-1.html