• 2,500 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Who's up for a revolutionary evolutionary ride? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, NEW YORK 1/2/70 captures the Grateful Dead as they make their first foray from the experimental 60s into their early 70s acoustic Americana period. Yes, this one is a little bit country and a little bit (psychedelic) rock and roll.

When the "Magnificent Seven" - Pigpen on percussion, T.C. on keys - first took the stage on 1/2/70, evidence was clear that the trip was about to take a turn. From their western wears to the twang in Jerry’s “broken-string blues,” it appeared they'd brought the Bakersfield sound to the Big Apple. They worked through much of what would become Workingman's Dead, stunning the crowd with laid-back numbers like "Uncle John's Band," "Casey Jones," and "Black Peter." Just the same, they satisfied 60s stalwarts with magical versions of "Dark Star," "St. Stephen," and "That's It For The Other One." Sonic alchemy, indeed!

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, ​New York 1/2/70 has been rounded out with a bit of 1/3/70 (the subscribers-only bonus disc features the bulk of 1/3/70). It was recorded by the great Owsley "Bear" Stanley and has been lovingly mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • icecrmcnkd

You are not the only one. Sad, but true.

This is copied from

https://www.dead.net/forum/got-issues-your-store-order

——————-

August 30, 2019 - 4:29pm#2
    WHISKYHAWK

Still Waiting For DaP 30 To Be Delivered
    Anyone else having this issue?

Per Dead.net Customer Service, 'Our new warehouse has advised that they have been unable to locate any numbered copies of Dave’s Picks Volume 30. With that confirmation, we have decided to produce a small, separately-numbered run of this title. We will use these copies to replace your missing or damaged Dave’s Picks Volume 30 shipment. Our production team has advised that the new, limited-edition run will be available in 2 months. "

Well, it's been two months and no word, no communication. Very frustrating.
    ——————-

• marye
    send me a PM.
  • JimInMD

Send a PM to MaryE on this site. ..and do it quickly!! that was a long time ago.

• dajokr

Still have not received my DAve's 30 with Bonus Disc. Multiple emails to customer service and no joy. Anybody who can help????

• daverock

Looks reasonable enough to me. The only holes in my collection are the Fillmore West 1969 box set, and the first 1990 box set. I bought the second one, Spring 1990, after quite along wait, as I am not a big fan of 1990. But I was, and continue to be, surprised at how much I like the show within. Every time I play 3/14/90, which I believe is the first in the box, I feel moved to go on and listen to the whole. I keep looking around for the first one, but I haven't seen it for sale anywhere yet. I wouldn't spend a fortune on it, but if its anything like this second one....then I have missed out big time.

A cautionary tale for me, actually, thinking now that I wouldn't get this years box if it is from beyond 1974.

• Diggey
    Default Avatar

I hope I'm not breaking any rules and can delete this if I am. I have some Dead cds and Dave's Picks for sale and wanted to put them up here. I'm not trying to get rich, just movin' out some clutter. Send me a message and payPal preferred. shipping is included for all of them listed. Thanks

San Francisco, The Warfield 10/9 and 10/10/80- Record Store Day CD- $16 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 27- Boise State U, 9/2/83- $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 28- Capital Theater, Passaic, NJ, 6/17/76 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 29- Swing Auditorium, San Bernadino, Ca, 2/26/77 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Fillmore East, NY, 1/2/70 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Bonus CD- Fillmore East, NY, 1/3/70 - $30 shipping included

• kyleharmon

i'll make my official box set prediction here: Summer '90

• JimInMD

Gave this one last spin before the Dave's 31 announcement. This will be remembered as an excellent release with a great bonus disc if you subscribed.

2019 will be remembered as a good year.

• Oroborous

Fall 79, Awesome!
    Nice to mix it up a little, thanks guys!
    Also, like hearing how their going to keep trying more variety.
    But ultimately, like Dave said, not about the set list or what they played etc, it’s about how they played it!
    Personally, I’m not familiar with this one but ifs it’s anything like 11/9, 11/5&6, 12/1, or the New Years run I think we’re going to be happy!

• wissinomingdeadhead
    Default Avatar

FINALLY 1979

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

Who's up for a revolutionary evolutionary ride? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, NEW YORK 1/2/70 captures the Grateful Dead as they make their first foray from the experimental 60s into their early 70s acoustic Americana period. Yes, this one is a little bit country and a little bit (psychedelic) rock and roll.

When the "Magnificent Seven" - Pigpen on percussion, T.C. on keys - first took the stage on 1/2/70, evidence was clear that the trip was about to take a turn. From their western wears to the twang in Jerry’s “broken-string blues,” it appeared they'd brought the Bakersfield sound to the Big Apple. They worked through much of what would become Workingman's Dead, stunning the crowd with laid-back numbers like "Uncle John's Band," "Casey Jones," and "Black Peter." Just the same, they satisfied 60s stalwarts with magical versions of "Dark Star," "St. Stephen," and "That's It For The Other One." Sonic alchemy, indeed!

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, ​New York 1/2/70 has been rounded out with a bit of 1/3/70 (the subscribers-only bonus disc features the bulk of 1/3/70). It was recorded by the great Owsley "Bear" Stanley and has been lovingly mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

“The sun shined in her eyes, but the moon shine made her blind every time”

Yeah Stoltzfus, good ol’ Floyd.

Speaking of green, I might roast some green coffee beans today. For now I’m about to sit in the sun on the deck and drink a fine cup of very dark roasted (black and oily beans) Columbian Supremo. Thanks Jimbo for turning me on to the Fresh Roast SR500 coffee bean roaster. Roasting your own beans is where it’s at.

As for fruity beer, raspberry wheat is my favorite, followed by raspberry or blueberry barrel aged stout.
Founders Lizard of Koz is where’s it’s at.

If you like sour beers try pouring a sour beer over freshly crushed raspberries. Mmmmmm.....

Now back to your regularly scheduled clearing hippies off your lawn.

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

81 degrees, 0% humidity, not a cloud in the sky... I'm not sure this is really June in Maryland.

Off to Merriweather today and tomorrow to see some aquatic-named band. I hear they're pretty good.

If you're going, I'll be the white guy with a beard and a Grateful Dead t-shirt.

Peace

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Ha! No, I wish. Put me online for a few hours with my Deadphones on.

Yes French Roast only. Prefer Starbucks K-Cups.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I too will be at the Merriweather PP seeing that Aquatic Band from Vermont. I saw them at Blossom, was my first show in 15 years. They sound good- tight and they can still take off on a jam. I like a lot of the newer songs they have in the repertoire.

Cant wait for the box set whatever it may be.

I tried really hard to go to these shows.. one of my business partners and friends (from Pitt) is there.. but alas.. ticket prices were not advantageous and I haven't hopped that fence since I was in high school. (not that I am proud of that).. Well.. there was that one time in undergrad, but I cut the hell out of my hand. ..tale for another day perhaps..

They would have been my first Phish shows. ..and the weather is spectacular for a weekend of music.

Have fun Otis and GHan!!! So jealous.

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Was indeed an amazing show. One of the top three I've seen by them, one of the other two was at the same venue in 2012, the other was at Merriweather back in 2000. The bass bombs were plentiful and penetrating, particularly one in the newer song Passing Through, which I actually heard earlier in the day and thought it sounded like The Bangles's Walk Like an Egyptian in the "we oh we oh"s, but live they ripped it. Phantastic night and Trey was really playing extremely well, hitting the notes he wanted, killer effects sounds, and he was having a blast. Jim, try to go to the Su day show, you can get tix in the lot for a decent price, you just have to poke around.

Thanks to whoever posted that GQ article on sobriety recently. Trey was one of the interviewees, and, if any of you know Phish, you know he's got the gift of gab, but is not just a talker, but a thoughtful one, and his story is profound. I had given up on them in 2003 due to his sloppiness, which Rolling Stone had actually praised in their ranking of him around 75 on the greatest guiatrist list, saying he's even better when sloppy. I always found the 80s and early 90s stuff, particularly 1994, to be more engaging and mindblowing because he was so clean and precise in his solos and in jams. Well, we came to find out the root cause of the sloppiness was opioid dependency when he got busted. But as he said it changed his life, and the reason they've been so fruitful since the return in 2009 is his clearheadedness. Last night was an impressive display of an artist in full control of his medium, and it leads to better band cohesion. Well impressed, but seeing him like that after reading that article days before shed a different light on it.

No real Dead content to add as I've been listening back to Phish to get into the right mindset, so last 5 is all Phish. Hoping Monday brings us exciting box news.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Robert H Weir, for the murder of Iko Iko with a slide guitar on July 5, 1978. On this day Mr. Weir did purposefully attack Iko with his unpolished blues style. Still brandishing the bottleneck slide device on his middle finger after the event, Weir surveyed it with a puzzled countenance and spoke aloud the conclusion that had already dawned on most witnesses that day: "This thing can be absolutely lethal in the wrong hands."

It is a fact that Weir employs the unorthodox style of placing the slider on his middle finger instead of ring, a technique most commonly attributed to Joe Walsh. When asked to remark on a common asertion from fans that he shouldn't be "honing his craft" on a live stage, Weir smiled and displayed the device prominently on his extended middle finger: "f@#k the fans".

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Thanks for the well-wishes! Overall a solid, rocking show! I thought Set 1 was a bit stronger than set 2, but they brought the goods throughout. Prepping now for another go, and you know what they say... never miss a Sunday show, especially at Jerryweather!

Happy summer weekend everyone!

Peace

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

Seems Bob wasn't always as patient with his fans as they were with him.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Was just being tongue and cheek

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

Keith of course you were. I haven't seen Bob breaking out the Coricidin bottle (slide, for those not in the know) on any Dead & Co. tours yet. Or playing "Looks Like Rain, Lazy Lightnin', Supplication," etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't catalogued every D&C show, but, I think we've been spared the agony so far.

It seems like he kind of knows not to revisit certain things. Thank God.

Still, this was always a band that went on, rain or shine, hungover, jonesing, tripping, whatever the malaise may be.

They soldiered on bravely always, one with their audience. If ever a rock and roll band earned "the show must go on," with a gold star, it was the Grateful Dead.

I try to explain to my friends how I got so deep into the Dead. I grew up on classic rock but got into metal and hard rock, and my best pals who were all with me in my formative years have largely not followed me into this music. It's Owsley's fault.

I was at Alpine Valley, dosed on Gooney Bird, at Monsters of Rock. Kingdom Come, Dokken, Metallica, Scorpions and Van Halen/Hagar. Jesus Christ, if you're going to dose at a hard rock festival you're taking your sanity into your own hands. It all ended well, but the all kinds of crazy I witnessed and experienced that day will never leave me. Wonderful memories, to be sure, but nothing that needs repeating.

So back to Owsley - first, with the acid. Although the 'Bird wasn't his, it was nice. It was his other habit - recording. Every Dead show, thousands, since the beginning. What we all pant and drool over daily on this forum waiting for the next Dick's - excuse me, Dave's - and box set, etc.

Normal rock music, as much as I love the Stones, Beatles, Priest etc., I just know where it's going every time. With the Grateful Dead, and, I'll give them a little piece of this, Dead & Co., you never quite never know where it's going. It may be sloppy, it may be tight, certain bandmembers may be off or supremely on - different instruments and amps, effects, miking, etc. across the eras.

It's always fresh. It's always about the Adventure of the Listen. Like jazz, but not. The Grateful Dead. Amen.

\m/

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Had the house to myself this afternoon so I gave the 6/26/73 show from the PNW box a spin and had a chance to soak it all in from start to finish. Good stuff, '73 was really a peak year from my point of view. The Other One goes to all kinds of jazzy places in that show and the Brown Eyed Women and Deal really jumped out at me early in the show. But yeah, another release where disc 3 just smokes from start to finish. Kind of riding a wave of nostalgia and melancholia after an unexpected death in the extended family, someone I haven't seen or talked to in years but was close in age and with whom I had regular contact as a child. Seemed like a good afternoon for some dead.

user picture

Member for

5 years 8 months

Keithfan I swear you come up with some of the funniest posts. I was listening to this box set with the family over for Memorial Day, and out comes this song. Everyone thought it was Jerry sounding like an amateur and I'm like no no! Listen to Jerry play slide here, and I put on LLR from 4/11/72!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

The band/estate is releasing a 4CD box set titled 'Fillmore West '71'…recording dates were 1/29-31/71, approximately 6 weeks prior to the March Fillmore East shows…I would think the material is similar since they didn't change their set lists much…the set drops on 9/6 for those interested.

user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

Bob Weir has come to be my favorite band member, but I did notice his slide guitar playing is a bit out of place. That was a funny bit KF, thanks for the laughs. Thanks also to the other regular posters who keep it fun here, Icecreamconekid, Vguy, JimInMD, lately Oroborous, Daverock, etc. There is a consistency here that's nice.

I believe I finally get 1974. I never really got it before because the audio was always so bad. I read that this had everything to do with the sound board they used for the wall of sound and the goofy microphones. And then the other night I started listening to Dave's Picks 13 and I finally understand what is unique about their sound that year or I guess I should say about their playing. Prior to that I hadn't heard enough to distinguish 1974 from 1973, except for the poor audio from 74. The instrumentals are not impacted as much by the high mid-range audio. It seems to have its biggest affect on the vocals. It looks like they played a three-night stand at winterland that time. Is there a way to download shows from archive.org? I'd like to check out those other two.

My ears feel like my belly after thanksgiving weekend! Lots of Anniversaries to choose from so went nuts.
Friday after a bunch of JGB (more tolerable to the misses), I circled back round to Dave’s 30 discs 1&2 only per Charlie’s suggestion: nice!
Then Saturday I did 6/21/89, 6/21/84, 6/22/85, 6/22/83, and finally gave 6/22/73 a good listen. 89s interesting, but perhaps a bit sloppy for 89? 84 was decent, 85 was good, neat set list, but not quite as good as the following week of shows. I’ve always loved 6/22/83, perhaps because it was one of the best sounding tapes I had when I got it back then. Nice Stranger, one of my favorite Ramble on Roses, one of the first “Elegant Pride” I heard, nice FOTD, awesome spanish jam etc. Sweet Stela.... 73 was good but perhaps not as solid as 6/24/73 which I fired up on Sunday after 6/24/85 which has always been a favorite, and I finally gave the 30 trips version a spin. Both 6/24 shows were.......wait for it......Primo! Lol.
Need some quiet, or some classical! Buuuurrrrp (that was my ears!) 😀
Hope all y’all had a great weekend!

JIMMD: hope you got all those damn hippies off your lawn, careful, next you know the bastards will be in your walls and you’ll have to call Cartman!

Ya Know I was at the show and they did a VERY slow pan of Mayer's guitar and then stayed on the "WOLF" and I was screaming HEY LOOK...LOOK....and everyone around me is like WHAT?? Oh well I got excited. Interesting only 18 songs whereas most of the tour clocked in at 19 or 20 songs. Extra long Jams last need indeed. Mayer was stretching Wolf's Legs a little last night (Actually strings) Very nice Sugaree and Althea.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

It's a lifelong affliction...

Dead & Co. just sent me a come-on to the Boulder shows, July 5 & 6. (I hope to be paddling the Green River instead.) Dead.net is flogging pre-orders for the Aug. 1 movie, with the new GD box "reveal." (Gotta use quotation marks, hate that word, but I used it.) I intend to attend, as I caught the band five days later at Soldier Field and ... gotta see the new box.

So I'm predicting that the box announcement won't come until after Bobby & Co. wrap up their tour in Boulder, post July Fourth, fifth and sixth.

I was going to add that "any idiot could figure this out," but I'm not just "any idiot," I'm the one gripped by a theory that no one could possible care about. Still, I scribble away!

But the box puzzle still sits there, daring me to think about it. How many shows/discs? Therefore, how many dollars? Most importantly for me, which year(s)? (I enjoyed many 80s shows in person, not thrilled with the tapes.)

Last year's 73-74 box was 19 discs. 2017's was four 77 shows, 11 discs. 2016's was five 78 shows, 12 discs. The rule of thumb is ~$10/disc.

A promising gambit for sales would be (here I go again) fall '72, which offers plenty of hot shows to choose from while leaving plenty in the vault. I say five shows, 16 discs, Sept-Oct '72, announced Monday, July 8.

Perversely (always perversely), I predict a two-week delay in the announcement, then try my crystal ball -- just when box fever has subsided in these parts in favor of Dead & Co. fever -- just as these clever bastards intended.

Coffee today = good.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Butch

Its one of my favourite years..but the music does sound a bit fragile at times-certainly in comparison to 1968 or the best of 1970-like 5/2 at Binghampton. Odd really, considering the size of the speakers.The vocals aren't so good either, especially by Bob or Donna, but the long jams are some of surely some of the best and most original they ever did. The best of 1974 on official releases, for me, are Dicks Picks 12 featuring highlights from 6/26 and 6/28th June, and Road Trips Volume 2 Number 3, featuring highlights from 6/16th and 6/18th . The downside is that neither feature complete sets. The upside that every note on every cd is essential. Apart from the vocals of course.

This new Tangerine Dream box, In Search of Hades looks thirst quenching. If they don't announce the new box on here soon, I might get that instead.

VGuy I feel your pain with the conflicting webcasts. I mean, last year Phish had the foresight and accommodation to schedule their summer tour immediately following Dead & Co; whereas this year they overlap in a mad way. So much that I created a chart for my wall at home for both bands for every tour day indicating which show is which night and which timezone so I can make informed decisions. Last night was no exception - but given I went to Dead & Co in Foxboro Saturday night (which was fucking awesome BTW), I was spent so I decided on a happy medium: I first watched Dead & Company through the first set, then at set break, I switched over to Phish and made it through most of their first set. Now I gotta finish both and yet stay on track for what's next.

First world problems created by Summertime.
Not a bad place to be....

Sixtus

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

there is no box set this year.

y'all have been duped.

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

I thought I'd post this, I see others mentioned it:

https://www.jambase.com/article/john-mayer-jerry-garcia-guitar-dead-com…

It's pretty cool that Indianapolis Colts owner and noted head Jim Irsay, who owns both Tiger and Wolf (and just bought Gilmour's "black strat,") lends these out. Warren Haynes has also been a beneficiary, but it's the fans who win.

Anyway, my hat is off to Irsay for being cool with these treasures.

\m/

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

June 74 should have its own box set, Plangentized and Normalized.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by LedDed

If we don't hear something this week, they won't be putting anything out next week with the Fourth of July Holiday. That would put us out to the week of July 8. And you are right Stoltzfus, Dave's 31 will be announced in July.

It has got to be a mega box, over the 20 CD threshold. Era, still no idea. Where are those clues, they seem to have dried up.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by fourwindsblow

Did someone mention June 1974?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

....but i don't see a '74 box on the horizon. Still digesting the PNW box.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Still upright- So Fine :-) Hanging in there...

P.S. This reply is stale, but late checking in. tehe

P.S.S. Vehicles AND Traffic Lights.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Anyone see the Grateful Dead get name dropped on The PBS Newshour this evening? That's twice in 2 weeks!

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

Hey now Dead Rockers......first let me apologize for my long absence. Landed back here in KC a week ago today at 4am, fresh from a 10 day trip to the beautiful PNW....back to work last week and then Friday a very large tree uprooted from our back yard and fell on our power lines, so we have been without power and internet for most of the past weekend, but onward!!!!

Although I have been only lurking here the last few weeks, I have still been keeping up and appreciate the call (Oroborous) for my return......and so now that I have taken the opportunity to get everything exactly perfect, let my inspiration flow till my tale is told and done........

Me, Mrs. Casey, and her brother (brother in law-BIL), all caught the red-eye into Seattle from KC on the night of June 6th. By the time we scooped up our bags and negotiated the rental car lines it was 2:30am. We checked into a blue light cheap hotel there by Sea-Tac that I had booked months before in preparation for our drive to the Gorge for two nights of Dead & Company. In the morning BIL and I hit the nearest dispensary to load up on some legal party favors while my wife finished getting ready to go.

Now I’ve been to Colorado since legalization, but the “Cannabis Clinic” we found was on a different level than anything I’ve experienced before. There were a lot of options and we took full advantage., and the bud tenders were of course very helpful…..
“What would you recommend for pre-rolls”, I say…..
”Do you like Indica or Sativa”, she asks,
“both”, I answer!
“Hash Infused”?
“Sure that sounds Grate”!
Went through a similar process with some other goodies, and out we came 30 minutes later with 4 tubes of pre-rolls (hash infused and also Willie’s Reserve), a couple grams of flower, 2 oil cartridges, a new pen (Seattle Seahawks – 12th Strain branded - for the oil), a couple packs of chewable candies, and last but not least, a plastic syringe filled with some hashy goo which we found to be very applicable to the candies….
“Be careful with this she said”, “Only rice grain size portions”…..
“Sure, no problem” I say…….(smile, smile, smile), out we go, back to pick up the Mrs., sharing candies along the way, and on to our hotel at Moses Lake about 40 minutes east of The Gorge.

After stopping for lunch, and a very scenic 3 hour drive through the mountains and over The Columbia River (wow, what a site), we rolled into Moses Lake about 1:00pm. First stop….the liquor store, to load up on IPA for me, Jack Daniels for BIL & wine for the Mrs., a bag of ice, plus a disposable cooler if we could find one. I asked the liquor store dude if he had any styrofoam coolers, but no dice. Payed for everything else and walked out…..then, just as we were loading up I spotted some old buckets that someone had piled up…looked like trash in front of the store….and just like that we had a cooler  Time to check in to the room

Ok, for those who already know the background story on my choice of accommodations, I apologize, but I think for context it bears repeating. I planned this Dead & Co tour stop in connection with my in-laws 40th Anniversary Celebration to be held on the Oregon Coast the following weekend (what timing….couldn’t believe my luck). I would have preferred to camp, and my wife agreed to do so, but she is no Deadhead, or camper for that matter, and so she only agreed to one night. I of course wanted to see both nights, and BIL also wanted to come to a show, so in compromise, I offered to purchase the VIP package which included 2 tickets to each show, 2 nights hotel accommodation in Moses Lake, plus bus ride to and from each show. Needless to say, she agreed, and so here were leaving the liquor store and on our way to the hotel.
When we get there and walk into the lobby it is a quarter till 2:00 and there are already 25-30 Heads milling around in the lobby. The guy at the desk tells me that they are all waiting for the ticket packages that would be handed out at 2:00. First bus to The Gorge leaves at 3:00, 2nd bus at 4:00……that means BIL and I have 1 hour to check in, get ready, get our tickets/wristbands, and then be across the street to load up for the first bus.

Back in the room we start getting ready and stocking supplies. Gonna be a little nip to the air tonight so I wear some jeans, one of my Courtney Pollock Tie Dye’s, Bolt hat, and my bright green Morning Dew sweatshirt tied around my waist for the later chill. I load up one plastic tube with 4 or 5 pre-rolls, pocketed my oil pen plus cartridge and then grabbed a half a handful of stems and caps that someone had mysteriously packed inside of my zip up shorts pocket that I had stuffed in my checked baggage…...what luck!!! Next we stock our new disposable cooler bucket full of IPA’s, bottle of JD, couple Cokes, and some ice. BIL is in his 30’s, about 10 years my junior and 13 years my wife’s little brother, and so before we go, she makes sure to tell me not to lose him….make sure he gets back OK! Of course, Of course…no worries BIL and I laugh!!!!! Now up to the lobby to grab tickets just before 3:00, and out to the bus….do I have everything? Nope, Oh shit…….I forgot THE BUTTONS!!!

Here’s the background on THE BUTTONS….I think most of y’all know Agent Jeff Smith from our boards here, but if you don’t you should, because he’s one of the coolest Heads around these parts, always quick to share his fine art work of making our Dave’s Pick’s and Box Sets Digital Album covers pop with High Definition detail. Earlier this year, Jeff had helped me acquire some GD digital shows that I was missing from my collection, and in his mail parcel he included a button that he had made for the Dead & Co Boulder shows last summer. After seeing Jeff’s Boulder button, I asked him if he wouldn’t mind designing me a button for the upcoming Gorge trip and he kindly obliged with one of the coolest designs I could have imagined (see my avatar). I ordered 200 of the 2 and ¼ inches in diameter with sparkle background for the shows.

Back to the room…grab 100 of the buttons, run across the street, and then finally after 28 years of being of being a GD fan, I AM ON THE BUS…..which is a fucking Greyhound!

No folks, although we were just a few hundred miles north from where the famed vehicle now rests and rusts, this was no Kesey bus. There was no day-glow graffiti, or Merry Pranksters riding on top. The music was not blaring shows from long past as it should be, nor were there any stray travelers looking to hop aboard. And thank God Cowboy Neal was not at the wheel, because I don’t believe we would have had enough defibrillator machines to account for the carnage. Not surprisingly BIL and I were the only ones on the bus who had thought forward enough to bring a bucket full of beers, and so we sat quietly sipping beers and sucking on our oil pipes and eating edibles, hoping against a last minute ransack by the group of aging hippies on our supplies..

After arriving at the scene/parking lot, and not listening closely to instructions about how to get back to The Bus……we straggled off with beer bucket in hand down the Golden Road (walking path) to the entrance of The Gorge, and things were starting to pick up as we were high steppin’ in to town, it was a rainbow full of sound…..there were fireworks, calliopes and clowns, and everybody was dancing!!!

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

Dont get me started on the entry lines

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

I am listening to motorhead at park
"Runaround man" lyrics
Chase my tail
Catch me if you can

5 seconds later i see a tee shirt emblazoned with "catch me if you can"

Totally true

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

Some are starting them
Others are forming them
Most are standing in back

Some folks are cutting them
Others are snorting them
Come on dude, spare me some slack

No Cuts...more on these later :-)

Edit: Hey Stoltzfus....missed you out there. I have a button for you and the Mrs. if you would like a couple of them?......please PM your address. Happy to oblige!!!

The Buttons, then the stems and caps.... and a three week delay in posting. Thanks to the good, quick thinking folks here at dead.net.. we set up a GoFundMe to get KCJ out of jail and back to work..

Don't mind me, I didn't have time to read your whole post, but I did quickly skim through the text, and having gotten four hours of sleep this week alone, I am quite sure I absorbed the entirety of your post:

' ..sorry didn't post, gone for three and a half weeks, brought my newbe brother in law to a show against his wife's best wishes, dosed him.. then got him stoned.. and there was nothing left to drink but hard liquor and IPA's.. what's a guy to do? '

It was Sixtus and his grower/attorney friend Cosmic Charlie that first come through with the plan that freed the J' family from the calamity that was sure to catch up to them. In the end, a clear case of mistaken identity.

Tragedy narrowly averted.

Great tale, KCJ.. good to hear you had fun and escaped the long arm of the law (meaning your sister in law in this case).

In all honesty.. I really wanted to go to the Gorge this year (and perhaps Folsom Field as a close second), but the timing and ticket prices worked against me. Still, I love the PNW.. a truly great spot in the planet blue I plan to revisit as often as I can.

Glad it all worked out.

Edit: Did nothing but art (woodworking, live in a 115 year old Victorian - it ever ends) and a moderate bike ride today.. but listened to the Good Ole GD the whole while. Started at 7 am with 06/24/90 Autzen Stadium Eugene, OR which only fueled more high intensity GD.. so for the bike ride and table saw amped it up with 10/12/84 and 9/18/87 from 30 trips. Good golly. I realize 30 trips got mixed reviews.. but they are just wrong, it's pretty freaking awesome when an 84 and 87 show can get someone so amped up. Perhaps not my best purchase but, well.. No Regrets. Diplomatic enough?

Back to your previously scheduled June '74 GD.

Great story-thanks. Almost makes me wish I lived in America!

Listening to 7/1/78 from the 1978 box set as I type. This was the one where the Dead played with many other bands as part of "Willie Nelsons Picnic", so its a single set show. But its got some great playing on it. Estimated is the highlight for me-great jamming leading into The Other One. Minimum slide show - it doesn't detract from a great Tennessee Jed, if you factor it out, and actually sounds quite nice and mournful leading out of Playing in the Band. Less is more, as they say. Great Jerry guitar in Wharf Rat, now, too- hey, this show is really alright!

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

Good morning dead people....if you haven’t ordered your copy of deadhead stories, I would do so quickly. As of yesterday there were only 60 copies left. It is very well done, with 11x8.5 color, and over 300 pages of awesome stories. Got mine on last Monday and already 1/3 of the way through. By far my favorite book about the Dead so far. There is one Grate story about the 2nd group to get in line for The Closing of Winterland...5 days early! By the time the show started the line was around the block!!!!!

Link to deadhead stories site to order is here. All proceeds go to Charity.

https://deadheadstories.org

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-30-1.html