• 1,184 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Hold on to your hat, we're coming in strong with one from the Windy City that'll have you movin' and shakin' from start to finish. DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 signals a true rebirth of the Grateful Dead, reimagining classics and foreshadowing their 80s sound. This is as much in part due to freshly-minted member Brent Mydland bringing the organ back in as it is to Jerry finding new vivacity with his custom Wolf guitar. New guy, new guitar - it all makes for a heck of a good time!

Set One rolls like never-ending thunder with one standout after another - truly epic versions of "Brown-Eyed Women," "Ramble On Rose," "It's All Over Now," "Althea," and "The Music Never Stopped." Set Two hits with a crack of not-so-lazy lightning, barreling through an outrageous 28-minute "Scarlet>Fire" to a unique “Lost Sailor>Saint of Circumstance” and wrapping with a "blow the roof off the place" version of "Truckin'" and a rippin' "Johnny B. Goode." Ready for some quiet after the storm? You'll have to wait a just a little bit longer - we've filled in the gap on Disc 3 with a sprinkle of 12/4/79 - "Estimated>Franklin's Tower>" and an incredibly improvised “Jam.”

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 has been mastered from Dan Healy's cassette recordings to HDCD specs by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • rambly
    Default Avatar

Hello Marye
    Hoping you can point me in the right direction on this. I live in Canada and received a shipping invoice related to DaP 31. I emailed Dr. Rhino 3 times in August but no answer. UPS told me it was resolved when I called them in September, but then I just received a collection notice. I've emailed UPS again and Dr. Rhino again, but anything you can do to help would be gratefully appreciated! Thank you!

• fourwindsblow

Not a bad show the band really gets going by wharf rat which is typical for a first night of a three night run.

• wissinomingdeadhead
    Default Avatar

Anticipating the announcement for Daves Picks 2020 subscriptions any day now it usually coincides with the Grateful Dead Almamac. Better warn the wife to have her cc ready since the second year this is my Christmas present from her, she hates it because she doesn't have to go shopping for it. I know the 2020 calendar is available for sale Michael DuBois is the artist for next years calendar. All I can say BIO & PD
    BRING IT ON
    PLAY DEAD

• outpost

Just seen it along with the cover art on Ebay !

• alvarhanso

Makes me think Rex tape on 10 inch reels like 4/2/73. But Betty or Rex or Kidd doesn't make any difference to me. Looks to be a very good show on the back end of a very good tour.

• Lovemygirl

Source

• unkle sam

Trucking>Jam>Spanish Jam then the shortest dark star ever less than 4 minutes. DaP 32 is going to be a sweet one, can't wait to hear how they are going to clean up that Bertha start and some of those tape flips. Good luck Mr. Norman. Do a good job, take your time, we will all appreciate it.

• cub
    Default Avatar

As I am listening to a soundboard recording of 3.24.73 at https://archive.org/details/deadhead
    There are two Betty Boards listed. The 2nd listing has the complete show with 5134 views
    Bertha
    Beat It On Down
    Don't Ease Me In
    The Race Is On
    Cumberland Blues
    Box Of Rain
    Row Jimmy
    Jack Straw
    They Love Each Other
    Mexicali Blues
    Tennessee Jed
    Looks Like Rain
    Wave That Flag
    El Paso
    Here Comes Sunshine
    Me and Bobby McGee
    Loser
    Playing In The Band
    (set break)
    tuning
    Promised Land
    China Cat Sunflower
    I Know You Rider
    Big River
    Stella Blue
    Me and My Uncle
    He's Gone
    Truckin'
    Dark Star
    Sing Me Back Home
    Sugar Magnolia
    Johnny B. Goode

Wow 31 tracks, Thank you

• alvarhanso

Could be either one. Rex taped 4/2/73 DaP 21 (one of, if not the best sounding tapes in the Series), and a lot of his tapes were in Betty's collection as they were married. I think Kidd taped 3/28/73 DaP 16. Guess we'll find out in 3 weeks. Looking forward to this one, and love the artwork!

• Mytime
    Default Avatar

this one

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

Hold on to your hat, we're coming in strong with one from the Windy City that'll have you movin' and shakin' from start to finish. DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 signals a true rebirth of the Grateful Dead, reimagining classics and foreshadowing their 80s sound. This is as much in part due to freshly-minted member Brent Mydland bringing the organ back in as it is to Jerry finding new vivacity with his custom Wolf guitar. New guy, new guitar - it all makes for a heck of a good time!

Set One rolls like never-ending thunder with one standout after another - truly epic versions of "Brown-Eyed Women," "Ramble On Rose," "It's All Over Now," "Althea," and "The Music Never Stopped." Set Two hits with a crack of not-so-lazy lightning, barreling through an outrageous 28-minute "Scarlet>Fire" to a unique “Lost Sailor>Saint of Circumstance” and wrapping with a "blow the roof off the place" version of "Truckin'" and a rippin' "Johnny B. Goode." Ready for some quiet after the storm? You'll have to wait a just a little bit longer - we've filled in the gap on Disc 3 with a sprinkle of 12/4/79 - "Estimated>Franklin's Tower>" and an incredibly improvised “Jam.”

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 has been mastered from Dan Healy's cassette recordings to HDCD specs by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 2 months

From what I can see UPS have not delivered any of the orders yet in the UK and now say they will arrive Monday. Whether they will still try and get the £76 of shipping charges is another matter. You should note that the customer is liable for customs charges, duties and taxes but not for additional shipping charges above what has been billed by the supplier. Hopefully the new delivery schedule is the result of the problem having been sorted at the despatch end. If not then I would still advise not paying the charge and refusing the order as a result before contacting Rhino to get it sorted.

user picture

Member for

7 years

Shit, I was working at bradleys when RTL came out. Ol Cliff burton!!!!

user picture

Member for

7 years

Rutger hauer rip!!!!

user picture

Member for

7 years

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by carlo13

....It's kinda like that.
Roy Batty died in 2020.
Love Blade Runner.
Purchased Ride The Lightning at my local record store. Back then, they were plentiful.
Metallica. You know, Cliff Burton's Dad gives hard to charities. Cliff had so much to give, yet was taken too soon. Kinda like Randy Rhodes.

user picture

Member for

8 years

...mine was sent UPS first and then handed of to the USPS to be delievered.
Anyone who couldn’t get a copy and looking for a copy, pm...
Ride the lighting, my favorite Metallica album, still have the original Record somewhere...

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

As far as the DaP 18 vs DP 33 question, I am apparently in the minority, but I prefer DaP18 without hesitation. Look at the sequence on Disc 2 of DaP 18 - it is essentially one long sequence - Comes a Time>Drums>the Other One>Space>Eyes of the World>Jam>the Other One>Goin' Down the Road Feeling Bad>One More Saturday Night. Personally when one of the tracks on a dead release is labelled "Jam" it piques my curiousity and rarely leaves me disappointed. As I recall that the7/16-17/76 DaP 18 is one of those slow '76 shows, which really hits the spot for me, but is not everyone's cup of tea. The bonus disc is one of the better ones for my tastes also. I could go on more about DaP 18, but suffice it to say that one hits the spot for me. I just haven't really clicked with DP 33 the same way.

Currently spinning the first disc of DaP 31, which arrived today. Sounds pretty good to me at the moment on Brown Eyed Women.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

The event feel of that pick is palpable and it shines right through on tape. Kind of like Lindley Meadows '75 or Englishtown '77 I think.

The real story is DP33 for 90 bones? That one was announced in the Almanac way back when for a paltry 25 bucks or something, no?

P.S. Apparently, I am not a robot. whew. close one.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 2 months

"Truckin'" vid from Grateful Dead Meet-Up At The Movies 2019:

https://nypost.com/2019/07/26/grateful-dead-truckin-into-movie-theaters…

The article also includes some words from David Lemieux and another mention of the 2019 boxed set. "The archival releases, which Lemieux oversees, include a new box set he’ll be unveiling during next week’s screening."

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 10 months

Just digging in, but I wanted to flag one thing. This is the nicest art work I’ve seen on one of these by a good margin. I like how the interior of the sleeve matches the color scheme of the cover. I know you do that normally but this works better for me than usual. And I particularly like the inclusion of the photo of the tapes. Would appreciate that on all future picks.

user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

In reply to by Brian2005l

Still waiting on DaP 31 in OKC. Looking like Monday will be the day. In the meantime, I get to check out Alice Cooper at the Zoo Amphitheatre tomorrow night. Should be interesting and it’s always fun at the Zoo! Incidentally some pretty decent Dead shows were held there in the 80’s.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Love them both. Dick's 33 with the two shows, the day on the green. Great performances and the sound quality is really good. Love Dave's 18 and Charlie is right the sequence on Disc 2 is wild. I still remember the first time I heard it thinking, I have never heard anything like this before. The Comes a Time and Eyes are awesome!. From a sound quality perspective it is not as good as the other 76 releases, but still great. I think about how good the sound quality is on Dave's 28 and I just think Norman continues to get better at this.

No 31 in sight for me until Wednesday 😭
Not sure why. Would love to hear more about how this one turned out.

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

I just walked in. Well, not just, I did pour a tall Grey Goose, heel it on out to the mailbox, etc. But I have arrived stale, not fresh from a four hour flight from Logan to Denver. Spent the week in Southern Maine getting tanned and drunk. The best time, always, with family baseball and football games thrown in both on the beach as well as the in-laws palatial lawn.

Dave's 31 unwrapped but not burned nor played yet, #5093. A low enough random number to satisfy. Nugs also nestled in there amongst the fish wrap, Dead & Co. 7/5 and 7/6. Shows I attended. Also knocking on the door freshly arrived Winterland NYE 1972 Dead, New Riders, something called Sons of Champlin.

All this new music, where to start? Dead & Co. 7/6, natch. Let's work backwards, Sherman.

\m/

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 5 months

Like others in Europe, I’ve been asked to pay £84 to receive my double subscription. I’ve refused to do this as (I) I’ve already paid for shipping and (II) there is no way the customs charges on $60 worth of discs would be anywhere near £80. My guess is that USPS is making at least £50 per shipment on top of what Rhino are paying them, possibly the full whack of what they’re charging.

I’ve emailed Dr Rhino via the website (is that the right way to go? and asked them to confirm when I’ll be able to collect my package without incurring charges. I have up until 5th of August after when I guess they returned to sender. What happens then, reshipment? Refund? I have no idea. For those of you faced with paying £73 for a single disc, you’re better off buying on eBay.

Re DiP 33 and DaP 18; for me DiP 33 is up there with the very best. I probably need to revisit it but was slightly disappointed with the 7/17 show at the time, although this goes against what some others have said. The 16/7 material, particularly the bonus disc, sounded better to these ears. If you do go for DaP 18, make sure you get the bonus disc.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I'm also a fan of DaP 18. The sound is different, no doubt. I wonder what accounted for that. I kind of like it in a weird way. Jerry sounds real clean and possibly has less distortion effect on his guitar. I haven't listened in a few months, but I think it primarily showcases Jerry in the left channel and Keith in the right. You've inspired me to put it on. I just remember enjoying the uniqueness of the mix, despite it having somewhat less fidelity.

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

In reply to by LedDed

They were right up there with the GD, Airplane, Janis, Quicksilver in the early days. Just didn't catch on like the others, although they still play gigs from time to time. I recall Mickey saying they were the most musically talented of the groups that came out of 60's San Francisco. They released a really good live album under the Grateful Dead Records label in 1998. Good band, very underrated.

user picture

Member for

11 years

In reply to by wilfredtjones

Been a long hiatus in posting. #5377 hit the mailbox yesterday here in Vermont. Just breaking into disc one this morning. First round impression: very nice, freshness, great energy and audio quality very good, factoring in cassette master. Love the artwork. Will delve into disc 2 on the ride up to Burl for the JRAD show on the waterfront tonight. Joe is going to miss the show, announcement below from last night. Scattered T-storms should clear by late afternoon and the Delta Aquariids will peak around midnight. Happy meteor watching!

BREAKING NEWS: We want to send a big congrats out to Joe and his family, who just welcomed their second daughter into the world — three weeks earlier than expected! Unfortunately, this means he won't be able to make it to the show tomorrow. The inimitable Johnny Kimmock and Evan Roque are stepping up to the plate to fill in. The 200th JRAD show is shaping up to be a special one. We look forward to seeing you tomorrow

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Haven't listen to it end to end,,,, maybe tomorrow at work. But I did listen to Scarlet -> Fire! This may take the place of the great one (the Ontario show from So Many Roads). This drives home the point Jim always make, if these shows were recorded with the care of early shows,,,, wow. We be talking about the 80's a lot more! There was a power that they obtained in the Brent era. I don't know if it was the "newer" sound system or Brent. But there is a GREAT need for the organ in their music and Brent provided that in spades. Plinky keys? Fuck you. (even the plinky keys I've heard rise up into the rafters during shows) I found the vocals to be a bit odd on this recording. Like they were recording too loud, but once the jams get there the recording is great. I have great separation and definition. My computer speakers are giving me about a 3-4 foot sound stage and maybe a foot deep. I think that once the jam starts and the volume levels go up the 'room' recording becomes the same as a air recording. I always thought their sound wasn't part of the environment, but defined the environment. When the sound left the stage and climbed up and out of the building. I'm just probably nuts, but this show is just what I wanted. Need to get a copy down to the car and give a another listen. But during Scarlet - Fire transition the tears were flowing down my cheeks from the shear beauty.

Good pick Dave.

Now about that box set......

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 2 months

In reply to by Dennis

I agree that if there were better 80's recordings then that period would be more highly regarded. Case in point: Going to Nassau. That compilation disc from a three night Spring 1980 Nassau Coliseum run has fabulous playing paired with a solid recording and The New Guy Brent to boot.

Listen to the Jack Straw from that 1980 Disc. Jerry plays it so furiously he sounds like a "speed-metal" player! The band builds up to the lyric "Jack Straw from Wichita cut his buddy down" with an intensity, and, such a ferocity and the band hits the lyric simultaneously while also coming down with a crescendo like Pete Townshend in Baba O'Reilly or Wont' Get Fooled Again! It is an awesome instance of the band hitting all cylinders and "hitting the mark" just exactly perfectly! Wow! It is little like Midnight Rambler in that the entire band hits that "Slam" just right.

So, yes, the 80s would get more respect if the recordings were as good as previously recorded eras. Can we teleport Betty with some $$$ back there?

I dream of them finding the chopped up for "Dead-Set" Warfield and Radio City tapes and piecing them all back together with today's wizardry. . .. Now that is a "Dream-Box-Set!"

Hey Dave, and, now for my usual and customary plug: Release a mini box-set of N.Y.C.'s MSG September 1979 shows. It would be an instant sell-out!

user picture

Member for

5 years 3 months

Digging on this new Dave’s picks 31! Sorry to hear all the headaches my fellow European heads are having to deal with! My sympathies guys!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 5 months

Just checked on UPS things are still not sorted on Suday eve July 28, and the tracking history is a mess, not sure where it is as comments skip between US and UK/ and the package has had two airport scans (25th and 27th) in Louisville two days apart - wtf.

It seems as the packages have a missing commecial invoice, are being held by a Government regulatory Agency.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

According to my tracking info my DaP 31 is in Manchester, UK. This is less than 30 miles from me but they still want me to pay c. £73 to deliver it to me. Get this sorted or you lose a customer.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Woohoo, backpacking in the impossibly beautiful Olympic Nat'l Park for two nights and come home today to 31, I'm having a good weekend! I really like this tour, besides Spring '90 probably Brent's best. More please, there was a TON of grate music in the Fall of '79. Dave mentioned 12.1 Pitts, PA in his video, maybe that is coming one day too. Agree you can really tell the difference in sound between eras.

Sorry Euro heads, that's a huge bummer.

CAPTCHA out of control.

Never heard of Sons of Champlin, will check that out. Hope everyone else gets theirs soon.

Burns

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

approacheth

Happy Birthday early, Jerry

the will be

a 91 box, i am conVINCEd (pun intended, or maybe not)

Maybe a Summer 85 box

user picture

Member for

4 years 9 months

Hey man...I just received my Dave's Picks, and noticed mine isn't numbered! Is that normal? Am I jinxed? Did I get a dud?
Peace.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

.... imagine my delight when a Dead bandmember was also named Vince.
He was also good.
'91-'92 was good. I sense a '91 box.
El Dude. If it plays, it's good.

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

That sounds very cool stoltz - enjoy! I think I get your drift. It's almost like listening to music. I'm no spearhead either but do try to absorb as much as I can, when I can.

As for plinky keys, I can sympathize sometimes with Brent detractors, but just listen to the new Warfield release. Man, Brent was immaculate for those sets, every note right in the pocket. I'd bet even Keith would give Brent's work on those sets a solid thumbs up.

user picture

Member for

7 years

Yea, who is clayv?

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

I wish we knew more about Keith. I've read most of the books out there but Keith still seems like a mystery. No video interviews? Nothing much written about his personality, influences, etc. Is Donna writing something? I sure hope so.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

I get a repeating cracking/popping noise on disc 2 between about 6:50 -7:15 on PITB - is this a tape artifact that everyone is hearing, or a defect in my disc 2? It also seems to happen shortly after the 8 and 9 minute marks as well, but less prominently. Thanks for any answers.

user picture

Member for

8 years

...a friend of mine told me today that on this August 23rd 2019, the Grateful Dead’s News Years Eve show from ‘1991’ is going to be released on CD/Limited edition. "Bill Grahams, the last New Year's show.” Oakland, CA
Disc 1
1 Hell In A Bucket
2 Candyman
3 Beat It On Down The Line
4 It Must Have Been The Roses
5 Black-Throated Wind
6 West L.A. Fadeaway
7 When I Paint My Masterpiece
8 Help On The Way > Slipknot! >
9 Franklin's Tower
Disc 2
1 Not Fade Away >
2 Eyes Of The World >
3 Estimated Prophet > Jam
4 Drums >
5 Space >
Disc 3
1 The Other One >
2 Wharf Rat >
3 Sugar Magnolia
Encore
4 Knockin' On Heaven's Door
...I wouldn’t mind this in my collection of the Grateful Dead 🙏❤️😎

Duupid post office!
Gave me a counter dealy in my box instead of leaving the package in a locker, probably too much work for Saturday.......assume it’s Dave?....Dooooooo! Probably won’t have time until Wednesday! Doooooooooo!
Evil Basterds, I swear they “KNOW” and do it on purpose!! Dooooooooo!

Oh well”all good things in all good time”
Been pre-gaming with other fall 79 shows.....also hit up those Floyd live bonus material from the Dark Side and Wish You Redos......nice!
Yeeeeshhk,, through the fog, remembering now some High Res Dire Straits; Brothers in Arms and Some assorted High Res Eagles for fucks sake...the things that happen after midnight!
12/1/79 partial 2nd set transfer from meh tape. The jams of course kick ass, and the Gloria etc, but I still like 11/6 better!
11/5/79 DL series Meh? Kinda flat...remember this being better?
11/6/79 DL series Still an all time favorite! Definetly my favorite of what I’ve heard from this tour!
11/9/79 PO RT Vol 1 # 1, was there 10th row, and a birthday show, so biased......
10/27/79 30 Trips, first listen! Solid show, but still like 11/6 better...
12/30/79 RT bonus, nice but a chop/comp.
ok, I think I’m warmed up, perhaps too much so?
Need the Real Deal already.....
DOOOoooooooooo!
Duupid Postman!

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

....I attended the 28th and 30th. Listened to New Year's in a hotel room. With my ex-wife.
Good times.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Attended 12 30 91 with wife
Kinda a snore fest
Did very little for me

Listened to a good chunk of 12 31 on radio in reno

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-31-1.html