• 1,184 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Hold on to your hat, we're coming in strong with one from the Windy City that'll have you movin' and shakin' from start to finish. DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 signals a true rebirth of the Grateful Dead, reimagining classics and foreshadowing their 80s sound. This is as much in part due to freshly-minted member Brent Mydland bringing the organ back in as it is to Jerry finding new vivacity with his custom Wolf guitar. New guy, new guitar - it all makes for a heck of a good time!

Set One rolls like never-ending thunder with one standout after another - truly epic versions of "Brown-Eyed Women," "Ramble On Rose," "It's All Over Now," "Althea," and "The Music Never Stopped." Set Two hits with a crack of not-so-lazy lightning, barreling through an outrageous 28-minute "Scarlet>Fire" to a unique “Lost Sailor>Saint of Circumstance” and wrapping with a "blow the roof off the place" version of "Truckin'" and a rippin' "Johnny B. Goode." Ready for some quiet after the storm? You'll have to wait a just a little bit longer - we've filled in the gap on Disc 3 with a sprinkle of 12/4/79 - "Estimated>Franklin's Tower>" and an incredibly improvised “Jam.”

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 has been mastered from Dan Healy's cassette recordings to HDCD specs by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • rambly
    Default Avatar

Hello Marye
    Hoping you can point me in the right direction on this. I live in Canada and received a shipping invoice related to DaP 31. I emailed Dr. Rhino 3 times in August but no answer. UPS told me it was resolved when I called them in September, but then I just received a collection notice. I've emailed UPS again and Dr. Rhino again, but anything you can do to help would be gratefully appreciated! Thank you!

• fourwindsblow

Not a bad show the band really gets going by wharf rat which is typical for a first night of a three night run.

• wissinomingdeadhead
    Default Avatar

Anticipating the announcement for Daves Picks 2020 subscriptions any day now it usually coincides with the Grateful Dead Almamac. Better warn the wife to have her cc ready since the second year this is my Christmas present from her, she hates it because she doesn't have to go shopping for it. I know the 2020 calendar is available for sale Michael DuBois is the artist for next years calendar. All I can say BIO & PD
    BRING IT ON
    PLAY DEAD

• outpost

Just seen it along with the cover art on Ebay !

• alvarhanso

Makes me think Rex tape on 10 inch reels like 4/2/73. But Betty or Rex or Kidd doesn't make any difference to me. Looks to be a very good show on the back end of a very good tour.

• Lovemygirl

Source

• unkle sam

Trucking>Jam>Spanish Jam then the shortest dark star ever less than 4 minutes. DaP 32 is going to be a sweet one, can't wait to hear how they are going to clean up that Bertha start and some of those tape flips. Good luck Mr. Norman. Do a good job, take your time, we will all appreciate it.

• cub
    Default Avatar

As I am listening to a soundboard recording of 3.24.73 at https://archive.org/details/deadhead
    There are two Betty Boards listed. The 2nd listing has the complete show with 5134 views
    Bertha
    Beat It On Down
    Don't Ease Me In
    The Race Is On
    Cumberland Blues
    Box Of Rain
    Row Jimmy
    Jack Straw
    They Love Each Other
    Mexicali Blues
    Tennessee Jed
    Looks Like Rain
    Wave That Flag
    El Paso
    Here Comes Sunshine
    Me and Bobby McGee
    Loser
    Playing In The Band
    (set break)
    tuning
    Promised Land
    China Cat Sunflower
    I Know You Rider
    Big River
    Stella Blue
    Me and My Uncle
    He's Gone
    Truckin'
    Dark Star
    Sing Me Back Home
    Sugar Magnolia
    Johnny B. Goode

Wow 31 tracks, Thank you

• alvarhanso

Could be either one. Rex taped 4/2/73 DaP 21 (one of, if not the best sounding tapes in the Series), and a lot of his tapes were in Betty's collection as they were married. I think Kidd taped 3/28/73 DaP 16. Guess we'll find out in 3 weeks. Looking forward to this one, and love the artwork!

• Mytime
    Default Avatar

this one

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 2 months

Hold on to your hat, we're coming in strong with one from the Windy City that'll have you movin' and shakin' from start to finish. DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 signals a true rebirth of the Grateful Dead, reimagining classics and foreshadowing their 80s sound. This is as much in part due to freshly-minted member Brent Mydland bringing the organ back in as it is to Jerry finding new vivacity with his custom Wolf guitar. New guy, new guitar - it all makes for a heck of a good time!

Set One rolls like never-ending thunder with one standout after another - truly epic versions of "Brown-Eyed Women," "Ramble On Rose," "It's All Over Now," "Althea," and "The Music Never Stopped." Set Two hits with a crack of not-so-lazy lightning, barreling through an outrageous 28-minute "Scarlet>Fire" to a unique “Lost Sailor>Saint of Circumstance” and wrapping with a "blow the roof off the place" version of "Truckin'" and a rippin' "Johnny B. Goode." Ready for some quiet after the storm? You'll have to wait a just a little bit longer - we've filled in the gap on Disc 3 with a sprinkle of 12/4/79 - "Estimated>Franklin's Tower>" and an incredibly improvised “Jam.”

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 has been mastered from Dan Healy's cassette recordings to HDCD specs by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

user picture

Member for

5 years 3 months

If daves picks 32 is a 73 or 74 show this year will have been a perfect 4 part 2019 Dave’s picks series for
Me!

user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

So sorry for you UK folks, Rhino, you have done it again, how can you continue to make these mistakes and keep your customers happy? I hope it will get sorted out for you folks which it always seems to, it just sucks that you have to wait and wait for this release. I have not received my copy yet either, but it will come tomorrow according to the tracking site.
I concur with others who have stated that Jerry is out to lunch on this show. I said it before, Jerry is slow and just not into it that much, sure, he tries to muster up something during a couple of the tunes this nite, but he just doesn't seem like he wants to be there. I agree also that there were better shows from this run and tour and yet, we get this one. I was hoping a new remaster would spice it up a bit, but from what I hear on this thread, it just doesn't make up for the fact that the mastro is off, and not in a good way :) and I have only heard the Charlie Miller pull.

They try this nite and Bobby tries to pull it off, but that Lazy Lighting>Supplication is a poor rendition of a great couple of Bobby tunes. There are a couple of other Kingfish tunes that I would have loved to have heard the Dead do, Jump for Joy, Goodbye your Honor, Hypnotized, all had room for Jerry to tear up a lead or two and were great songs but they chose Lazy Lighting>Supplication which are also good, don't get me wrong, just wish they would have done others/more Kingfish.
I am still looking forward to hearing this release and the art work is very cool, would make a great shirt....

Which one are you? So now we could be getting a no number numbered edition when and if we do get it, I'm consoling myself that at least it's not a '71 or '72 pick, guess what I'm listening to in the meantime.
I do hope that Rhino isn't involved with MUATM on Thursday night.

user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

To me it always seamed that the first night of a three night run was just a warm-up night and the goods would come the next two nights. The only thing I can think of to release this first night over say the last night is that maybe the recording sounds better.

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

Weir's guitar is almost completely inaudible on this release, to my ears. Especially in the second set jams, where it counts the most. I guess its not the engineer's fault, since Weir's guitar is also missing in the audience splice. This one will sit on my shelf next to Boulder 12/9/81. To each their own, but for me the Boise 83 release is head and shoulders above this one - with Weir's guitar in full glory.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Gollum

Still no sign of 31 for me, but I live in MN, which many consider a foreign country.
Just received an email from Dead.net hyping the MUATM on Thursday. It also mentions the box, "sneak peak at this year's big boxed set teed up and ready to roll."
So looks like we are in for a big one. I have some money set aside in my PayPal account but nowhere near the price of the boxilla, $750. We will know on Thursday.
And someone asked if Rhino was involved in the MUATM event?, The answer is yes and they are involved and run everything related to the band on this site.

user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

Healy would turn him down because he didn't think he was a very good guitar player.

It won't be Boxzilla but it will probably be Limited to 9000.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 3 months

In reply to by fourwindsblow

Well. I finally received a shipping notice late yesterday and 31 should arrive today which is welcomed news.
To all the European fans -- my heart goes out to you. C'mon Rhino . . .. Figure it out on how to get our european friends a lousy CD without being charged a King's Ransom!

user picture

Member for

13 years

Wow! The artwork sure does pop on this baby!

This is a show that I know well, and I am thrilled that the PTB finally went back to the late-79 well (one of my favorite periods for the band.) Of course, I would be remiss to say that this would have been a great opportunity to release the first Shakedown of the series by choosing 12/5 (which is a great one, BTW,) and I don't know that I agree with Dave that this is the overall strongest show of the three... though it is a very strong show. I've also thought that the Uptown 79 shows would have made a tasty little box, as I don't think the middle show is as lacking as Dave seems to think... Oh well, to each listener their own. I'm looking forward to popping this one in and getting down to it once again, this time in it's full-Glasser-ized (Glass-ie-ized? Glassyeyed?) format :)

Just looking through the book, Dave mentions that this time period saw the debut of Jerry's Doug Irwin guitar Wolf, which would go on the define the sound of the band for the years to come. Whoopsies, Dave ;) (It was Tiger that Jerry had just gotten during this time.)

Finally, I was lucky enough to spend my July travelling again this year. One day, while at the Turkish Steps in Sicily, I was wearing a very simple Wheel shirt (just the Wheel logo, no skeletons, words, dancing bears, etc.) As we're walking down the beach, a guy jumps out from a kiosk line quoting the words to Wheel. We shake hands and with a big smile, surrounded by the natural beauty half a world away, he reminds me that "We are everywhere." Made me feel good.

In response, I asked him, "Who are the Grateful Dead, and why do they keep following me?"

Peace

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

I thought that's why they fired the guy on the soundboard because he kept turning bobby down. At least that's what I remember reading once.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Can't let a bolo post go by without recklessly assuming it's a clue to to the upcoming box set. Sure, it was 12 pages ago in the forum history, and we'll get the skinny on the box in a few days, but it's a little slow at work right now and I have a decent source for speculation, so:

According to dead essays: http://deadessays.blogspot.com/2017/11/the-shared-stage-1965-1975.html

Sons of Champlin opened for or played on a bill with the dead on:

6-28-67 at the Oakland Auditorium
7-21 and 7-22-67 at the Continental Ballroom in Santa Clara
9-29 and 9-30 at the Straight Theater

5-18-68 at the Northern California Folk Rock Festival in Santa Clara
8-30 and 9-1-68 at the Fillmore West (ahem!)
9-22-68 at the Autumn Equinox Festival in San Diego

1-24 - 1-26-69 at the Avalon Ballroom
3-17-69 at Winterland
10-24-10-26-69 at Winterland

1-10-70 at Convention Hall Community Concourse in San Diego

12-31-71 at Winterland (playing as Yogi Phlegm)

1-2-72 at Winterland (playing as Yogi Phlegm)
3-5-72 at Winterland (playing as Yogi Phlegm)

3-15-73 at Nassau

Also interesting to note that Bill Vitt was one of the drummers for the band, who played a bunch with Jerry, and recently passed away, on July 16th 2019.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Dennis

I thought I heard it was because Healy thought he should be in the band and took it out on Weir, especially when Bob and Pig didn’t get canned, or some such nonsense.....I usually loved the way he mixed, but come on....

EDIT: turned Bob down and added all that over the top effects on some of his vocals, and he supposedly had a nasty blow habit, and finally the final straw I believe was he pissed Billy off.....

user picture

Member for

8 years

...a lot of great posts these past few days, except the sad news with deliveries outside the US, hang in there my brothers & sisters, I know a lot of fans(all over the world) including myself who already has a copy, are not very happy right now but that will change. Rhino & the band will make things bloom again. All comes down to human error, in the logistics of it all. And I tell you this my friends, it all envolves Money and who gets paid. Someone didn’t get paid or again I like to use the words “ human error” as a fill in the blank problem. This is after All said and done, after the board room doors are open and the room empties into the hallway.
How it’s handled is a different story and like others have said, I see a positive solution happening very quickly because in the end, it’s all about the money and everyone including the fans want to get paid what’s due to them. I’m not a very good writer.i apologize for all my writing errors. I do hope this post is pretty clear in saying the problem will be fixed and in the end there should be more happy grateful fans than not...
Another side note. I believe some shows are put aside for future products. In due time I foresee a Sweet 1979 Boxset being made available to the fans someday soon! I’ll place my order the day they announce it lol ha ha
“It’s good to want things”, my grandmothers used to tell me...indeed! They also used to to say, “ if it ain’t one thang it’s another!”
Have a grateful day folks, peace be with you all!
🙏❤️😎

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I haven't got Dave's Picks yet, but mention of Bobs guitar playing/position in the mix, and reference to the guitar Jerry apparently plays on it got me thinking. I wonder why Bob stopped using Gibsons? He sounded great from 1969-1974. Superb, original playing and very clear, at least as early as 2/27/69. But his sound always seemed thin and indistinct after that. I think he used Gibsons mainly between 1969 and 1974-though at Woodstock he can be seen playing a Guild Starfire. Also a nice sounding instrument.

I couldn't agree more, Daverock. I have a love/hate relationship with Mr. Weir. Sometimes I love him (E72 comes to mind) and sometimes I could do w/out (short shorts and the slide in Werewolves for example).

With a few exceptions, I do think he has stepped things up in recent years. I guess you could say he earned back his street cred.

Anyway.. that Gibson and that tour ruled. Love the warm Gibson tone he added to the shows back then.

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by JimInMD

in '92 I spied a bumper sticker that said "Even Bobby Fans Need Love"...Hallelujah...I have always wondered how can the same person be responsible for "Estimated Prophet" and "Looks Like Rain"??? And when will he ever get the words to "Truckin" right...

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by JimInMD

in '92 I spied a bumper sticker that said "Even Bobby Fans Need Love"...Hallelujah...I have always wondered how can the same person be responsible for "Estimated Prophet" and "Looks Like Rain"??? And when will he ever get the words to "Truckin" right...

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

I live in Baltimore, MD. My Dave's Picks Vol. 31 is still sitting in Rhino's warehouse "Ready for UPS Pick Up". And it's marked "Signature Required". That has to be somebody's joke.

I had the same problem. Mine already shipped and I'm never at home when ups comes so I had to spend an extra $6.60 to get it rerouted to my local ups store so I can pick it up at my own convenience. What a hassle for a $30 cd.

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

I think E72 was really it, in terms of Jer's tone and playing. He just wails. And yes that red Gibson ES335 or whatever Bob played was just so solid and a bit growly on the rhythms... I believe he also was on it at Veneta.

Later, he remarked he couldn't hear himself cutting through the keys and all on stage, so he went to that super glassy, trebly sound he still has today with D&C. He's adapted his style to that sound, he kind of plinks and plunks at it.

Yeah, I think from a gunslinging standpoint, E72 was the shit.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 11 months

If you have (or create) a UPS account, you can "sign" for DaP31 online.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

#24 of 20K. Just gonna wait until hopefully everyone that's supposed to have theirs does.

BTW, I did not have to sign for mine. :-)

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

I'm really grateful about every release from the vault. I posted earlier that I could not hear Weir, and others have agreed. I think the jamming on this release is excellent and inspired. Jerry does sound a little tired in his singing, but he is really hot and imaginative in the jams. The one other obvious weakness in this mix is the drums are a little high in the mix, and on softer sounds, they sometimes just bang through a sensitive moment.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by nitecat

....I'm just happy I found this band to begin with.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 6 months

In reply to by Vguy72

"We used to play at this place there in Chicago called the Auditorium Theater. It was like a museum, but it was one of those places where you couldn't touch anything, and the audience would always get in trouble because a seat would get wrecked or something, so it was like really uptight and we never sounded good in the f****** place either. We played there for years and we could never seem to get a good performance in Chicago, it was the weirdest thing. And we played for there for a long time. Until we started playing the Uptown, the Uptown opened up for us...it was that right combination of being basically a good theater but funky enough that nobody was worried about it. It was important that it was a relaxed a little bit. It's a drag when the audience gets tyrannized, you know. It completely wrecks the whole point of it." -Jer

Seeing this posted, but without source. I’m guessing from Jackson and Gans “Oral History.”

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

24- Pretty sweet WilfredtJones. You are almost up there with Bolo! Friends in high places.
451 arrived for me this afternoon. Through the first set and I really like the show so far. Sound quality is really good for a Healy recorded show. And yes, Jerry does sound a tad rough, but still, it is solid. Looking forward to the rest of the show. Different periods shine for all of us. I have my favorites, but continue to love the other periods and I am amazed how surprised I get with some of these releases. We know Betty recorded the end of December 79. Where was she when these shows occured?

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

Ripped and converted and loaded onto a brand new flash drive with the other 30 Picks, hopefully this time maintaining perfect order. Only notes I listened to were those of Phil and Jerry with his Octave Divider and MuTron making a delightfully synthy noise that end the Drums track and begin the Space track as I edited that back together for seamless transitions.

May start some listening of it on the ride to work. Maybe so, maybe not. Admit trepidations going in seeing some of the reviews, which continue my initial thoughts from the Listening Party with way up front vocals for the PA mix, but I foresee a decent chance to listen to it all Saturday, if I'm not engrossed in my new synth pedal and creating presets...

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 8 months

Update regarding your Dave’s Picks Volume 31 shipment:

I have been advised that there was a mix up with the international paperwork, for you shipment.

This issue is now in the process of being resolved and we (Rhino) will be paying the UPS delivery fee associated with your Dave’s Picks Volume 31 shipment.

I am currently awaiting confirmation from our warehouse contact that your delivery fee has been paid.

As soon as I receive this confirmation, I will send you an update.

We again apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Sincerely,

Dr. Rhino

Rhino/Customer Service

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by LedDed

Ledded-I think you could be right. Half way thorough Dusseldorf 4/24/72 I would say it was also a peak year for piano. And bass. And drums. And song list. And the way they mesh.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

I've just discovered the same e-mail DTUCK90 received.

This e-mail was however preceded by a slightly earlier (by twenty minutes) e-mail which reads:

"Dear Dead.net Customer,
If you have experienced any customs issues that are interfering with the delivery of your Dave’s Picks Volume 31 shipment, please email drrhino@wmgcustomerservice.com.
Please include the following information in your message:
• A description of the issue
• Your order number
• The tracking number for your Dave’s Picks Volume 31 shipment

Upon receipt, we will follow up with a resolution as soon as possible.
We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for your patience.
If you have any questions, please let us know.
Sincerely,
Dr. Rhino

Rhino/Dead.net Customer Service".

I'd already fizzed off an e-mail a few days ago regarding the issue, and giving my order number. Looks as though they need the tracking number in addition... .

But there may be some light.........

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Due to the fact that I had mailed Dr. Rhino last week, I also received the mail that Dtuck90 got. It was also preceded by the mail that PhantomEngineer refers to. As I had already passed on my UPS tracking number and all other known UPS details together with my order number, I guess that I do not have to do anything. All replies to my original mail to Dr. Rhino contain the same Rhino Request ID which suggests that my case at least is under control. The only change in my UPS tracking status recently is that early this morning there was yet another warehouse scan in good old Louisville, KY. Now I guess I just wait for a mail from Rhino saying that everything is OK (not holding my breath though) and keep an eye on the UPS status.

Cautiously optimistic...

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 1 month

In reply to by simonrob

I think everyone in Europe got the e-mail from Dead.net requesting details of their Order and Tracking Number. Those of us that had already contacted Dr. Rhino received the additional e-mail stating that Rhino will pay any fees due.

I had also written to UPS for clarification and got the following reply this morning:

"I am sorry to know your trouble with the charges you have received.
In relation to your concern, our records indicate that the package is out for delivery today, 31/07/19, from morning until by end of day. I must confirm also that a freight charge amounting to 73.92 GBP is still pending to be paid for upon delivery. As you were advised by your sender that they are going to be in discussion to resolve the charges for the package, please continue to monitor and track the shipment."

UPS have since attempted delivery and this has been refused as the 73.92 UKP was still due to be paid.

Ian

user picture

Member for

5 years 3 months

I’m loving this set list, each cd has an amazing combo-disc 1 lazy lightning >Supplication, disc 2 scarlet >fire, disc 3 lost sailor>saint of circumstance!!!! There’s a difference between a show being relaxed and nuanced / or a show being a drag and sloppy and I feel like this show is the former by a long shot ! That scarlet fire has Jerry and Phil relaxed , nuanced, and jamful! beautiful & relaxed ! Bravo 👏 Dave! I think in time more people will come to appreciate this show!

I listened to the PITB sandwich yesterday...wow!

Fox Theatre, St. Louis, MO (10/18/72)

Bertha
Me and My Uncle
Don't Ease Me In
Mexicali Blues
B.E,Women
Beat it on Down the Line
Bird Song
Big River
Loser
Jack Straw
Big Railroad Blues
El Paso
China Cat Sunflower >
I Know You Rider

Playing in the Band >
drums >
Dark Star >
Morning Dew >
Playing in the Band
Friend of the Devil
Promised Land
Brokedown Palace
Saturday Night
Casey Jones

Weir's rhythm guitar is ferocious on the first half of Playin'...unfortunately he jacked up my ears when he & Donna shared a screech later on...oh well...

One of my most called for (and posted about) box set requests. I have not given up on the BCT 72 run either in August.. but Dave still maintains not all these reels are in the vault.

In any case, hail hail to the 10/72 Fox Theatre run.. may it grow up to become a box set.

Good to see some movement on the tariff / ransom debacle. I bet that brought blood pressures up with the temperatures for those affected. Yuk, unwarranted stress.. which is not what this was supposed to be.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Jimbo, I would say you have your PhD in second half 1972. I was just listening to the October 17th show last night along with the Dark Star from 18th. The sound boards are really good quality. I always like putting the songs in my own order for a lot of the soundboard cuts. Last night I did Bertha, me and my uncle, and then promised land and bird song comma because those are a couple of great opening pairs of tunes right there comma then I linked into the dark star from XVIII and it was Bliss. I would love for this to be part of Europe 72 part 2. A20 show behemoth from the second half of 72. I don't know what's going on with the Google translator this morning but it doesn't even know how to do a, anymore comma.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

4 years 9 months

Just had the 'sorry I'm really busy, get back to you in 5 business days' from DrR, so also spoke to UPS in the UK. They apparently will hold the package for 10 days after 2 failed delivery attempts, so I guess there is a vague chance that Rhino will have time to sort this out and my (admittedly incomplete) collection won't have another hole in it.
Fills me with dread for the Woodstock box....

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 6 months

Just had the misfortune of speaking to UPS in the UK . Whilst hopefully the matter is being resolved in the USA, could consideration be given to reverting to the previous shipping method - might have been a few days longer, but delivery via our ever cheerful postman, and without larcenous demands.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

Glad to see 1979 get some love, nice setlist. With that said, let's speculate on DaP #32?? It's obviously time for the 1980s slot of the year, and my guess is 1984....probably 7/13/84. I think there is a outside chance for a 1985 show, or a 1982 show - but it's got to be 1980s, right?!?

Box Set - still faint hope that the RSD Warfield release was the prelude to a WARFIELD 1980 BOX SET, that will be announced before MUATM tomorrow evening.....alas, I'm guessing it's probably a 1991 Box Set. Not my favorite year, but any NON-1970s box set would be welcomed!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 1 month

In reply to by BillN

Bill, Regarding the reply in 5 business days message from DrR, I also got the same message but got a reply the next day (about 30 hours). Had one failed delivery attempt so far and am expecting another tomorrow despite telling UPS about the problem/solution.

Both PNW and DaP30 were also shipped using the UPS Worldwide Saver method with no issues so I can only assume that whoever arranged the shipping at Rhino this time got something very wrong. Hopefully Rhino will get this sorted quickly to avoid it being returned to sender and that they do it right the next time.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

I hate to break up the never ending saga of DaP 31 -> Europe. (hard to believe something so simple can get so fun-ghouled! It's that UPS Mail Innovation bullshit)

Anyway - I spent two hours last night trying to find that damn youtube vid of the guy who needs more space to download and his wife just can not understand.

Anyone with enough foresight to save the damn link.

Thanks.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

You still out there? Hopefully on vacation and no driving instances while posting.

user picture

Member for

15 years 4 months

In reply to by IanM

Just got an email that they're running the MUATM two nights in a row. So those of you on the North Shore of MA that can't make it Thursday, The Cabot's got you covered.

For those across the pond that have not got there DaP yet, I feel for you. I'm guessing with the recent changes to the warehouse yet again, there's going to be some pain. Real Gone had their order messed up big time for the recent Road Trips re-release. Also the auto-reply email message is standard canned response. I'm sure Dr Rhino will get to the bottom of this with satisfactory results for all. It's probably someone processing orders on an application they're not familiar with and fat fingered the wrong method of shipment to Europe via UPS. It is summer and maybe the one trained was out on vacation...

I had issues in the past and Dr Rhino was awesome resolving. Imagine ordering Europe 72 All Music Edition and only receiving one show and when I called WMG, they said so sorry but we show it completely shipped. So off I went to Dr Rhino and within a few days it was resolved.

Has anyone tried to reach out to MaryE? It would probably calm people's nerves if someone lurking from GDP/WMG chimed in here. I don't see UPS shipping back all the orders back to WMG in USA for something they see as a process issue... Here's hoping that it gets promptly resolved. In solidarity to my brothers in arms across the pond, I won't open mine till they get theirs.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-31-1.html