• 1,184 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Hold on to your hat, we're coming in strong with one from the Windy City that'll have you movin' and shakin' from start to finish. DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 signals a true rebirth of the Grateful Dead, reimagining classics and foreshadowing their 80s sound. This is as much in part due to freshly-minted member Brent Mydland bringing the organ back in as it is to Jerry finding new vivacity with his custom Wolf guitar. New guy, new guitar - it all makes for a heck of a good time!

Set One rolls like never-ending thunder with one standout after another - truly epic versions of "Brown-Eyed Women," "Ramble On Rose," "It's All Over Now," "Althea," and "The Music Never Stopped." Set Two hits with a crack of not-so-lazy lightning, barreling through an outrageous 28-minute "Scarlet>Fire" to a unique “Lost Sailor>Saint of Circumstance” and wrapping with a "blow the roof off the place" version of "Truckin'" and a rippin' "Johnny B. Goode." Ready for some quiet after the storm? You'll have to wait a just a little bit longer - we've filled in the gap on Disc 3 with a sprinkle of 12/4/79 - "Estimated>Franklin's Tower>" and an incredibly improvised “Jam.”

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 has been mastered from Dan Healy's cassette recordings to HDCD specs by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • rambly
    Default Avatar

Hello Marye
    Hoping you can point me in the right direction on this. I live in Canada and received a shipping invoice related to DaP 31. I emailed Dr. Rhino 3 times in August but no answer. UPS told me it was resolved when I called them in September, but then I just received a collection notice. I've emailed UPS again and Dr. Rhino again, but anything you can do to help would be gratefully appreciated! Thank you!

• fourwindsblow

Not a bad show the band really gets going by wharf rat which is typical for a first night of a three night run.

• wissinomingdeadhead
    Default Avatar

Anticipating the announcement for Daves Picks 2020 subscriptions any day now it usually coincides with the Grateful Dead Almamac. Better warn the wife to have her cc ready since the second year this is my Christmas present from her, she hates it because she doesn't have to go shopping for it. I know the 2020 calendar is available for sale Michael DuBois is the artist for next years calendar. All I can say BIO & PD
    BRING IT ON
    PLAY DEAD

• outpost

Just seen it along with the cover art on Ebay !

• alvarhanso

Makes me think Rex tape on 10 inch reels like 4/2/73. But Betty or Rex or Kidd doesn't make any difference to me. Looks to be a very good show on the back end of a very good tour.

• Lovemygirl

Source

• unkle sam

Trucking>Jam>Spanish Jam then the shortest dark star ever less than 4 minutes. DaP 32 is going to be a sweet one, can't wait to hear how they are going to clean up that Bertha start and some of those tape flips. Good luck Mr. Norman. Do a good job, take your time, we will all appreciate it.

• cub
    Default Avatar

As I am listening to a soundboard recording of 3.24.73 at https://archive.org/details/deadhead
    There are two Betty Boards listed. The 2nd listing has the complete show with 5134 views
    Bertha
    Beat It On Down
    Don't Ease Me In
    The Race Is On
    Cumberland Blues
    Box Of Rain
    Row Jimmy
    Jack Straw
    They Love Each Other
    Mexicali Blues
    Tennessee Jed
    Looks Like Rain
    Wave That Flag
    El Paso
    Here Comes Sunshine
    Me and Bobby McGee
    Loser
    Playing In The Band
    (set break)
    tuning
    Promised Land
    China Cat Sunflower
    I Know You Rider
    Big River
    Stella Blue
    Me and My Uncle
    He's Gone
    Truckin'
    Dark Star
    Sing Me Back Home
    Sugar Magnolia
    Johnny B. Goode

Wow 31 tracks, Thank you

• alvarhanso

Could be either one. Rex taped 4/2/73 DaP 21 (one of, if not the best sounding tapes in the Series), and a lot of his tapes were in Betty's collection as they were married. I think Kidd taped 3/28/73 DaP 16. Guess we'll find out in 3 weeks. Looking forward to this one, and love the artwork!

• Mytime
    Default Avatar

this one

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

Hold on to your hat, we're coming in strong with one from the Windy City that'll have you movin' and shakin' from start to finish. DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 signals a true rebirth of the Grateful Dead, reimagining classics and foreshadowing their 80s sound. This is as much in part due to freshly-minted member Brent Mydland bringing the organ back in as it is to Jerry finding new vivacity with his custom Wolf guitar. New guy, new guitar - it all makes for a heck of a good time!

Set One rolls like never-ending thunder with one standout after another - truly epic versions of "Brown-Eyed Women," "Ramble On Rose," "It's All Over Now," "Althea," and "The Music Never Stopped." Set Two hits with a crack of not-so-lazy lightning, barreling through an outrageous 28-minute "Scarlet>Fire" to a unique “Lost Sailor>Saint of Circumstance” and wrapping with a "blow the roof off the place" version of "Truckin'" and a rippin' "Johnny B. Goode." Ready for some quiet after the storm? You'll have to wait a just a little bit longer - we've filled in the gap on Disc 3 with a sprinkle of 12/4/79 - "Estimated>Franklin's Tower>" and an incredibly improvised “Jam.”

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 has been mastered from Dan Healy's cassette recordings to HDCD specs by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

I'm still thinking it will include something from the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's.

ps. I so thankful that we get these vault release so people have something to complain about. I guess we could go back to the days of third and fourth gen cassettes of really good clean Jerry shows.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 3 months

Enjoyable show. Great sound and mix. A lot of whiners on this board. Expect every show to be the best show EVER. I have a theory. Third show of a year is always less known. Fourth show and 1st of the coming year have to sell the subscription. Second show has bonus. Stop the whining. Its a bore.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by simonrob

I emailed Dr Rhino yesterday, and got a generic response thanking me for my patience, but advising me that due to the "high-volume of email traffic I will respond to your email within 5 business days."
Looking at the tortuous tracking information last night, I saw that it was still out there for delivery somewhere, with the same expectation of me paying £73 + on delivery for freight charges.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

5 years 4 months

In reply to by simonrob

Don't build your hopes up!
UPS delivered mine yesterday. Courier said customs paid.
Today I had a phone call from UPS requesting payment £73.92 which I ain't paying.
They're sending courier back out tomorrow to collect. So I expect I'll see it again soon??

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

In reply to by fourwindsblow

This makes me very happy that 6/17/91 is getting a solo release; methinks it will be included in this box (although I believe someone had already speculated/potentially confirmed this elsewhere); similar to how they also did a stand alone release for 'Wake up to Find Out' when it was also included in one of the Spring '90 boxes.

drip...drip...drip....
Sixtus

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

... I would wait until you see the film before pre-ordering or if your not attending, wait for Reviews to be published/posted HERE or elsewhere, it’s your choice. 😉Imagine if they offered the opportunity to do that with every concert that was recorded both Audio & Film!!! That would be Primo! Lol, it would be a total deffent business model they operate under right now and would Effect Sales. I bet Some fans would pay extra just for the opportunity/chance! Lol ha ha ... who knows maybe after that you won’t be interested in adding this Vinyl/CD release to your collection.
🙏❤️😎
*Plus artwork is Incomplete ;)

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

...stolz. You crack me up! Lol 😂 The Healing Power Of Laughter is always welcomed!

Also
...”I want my $2.00 dollars!”... ha ha

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

Ok...so i was reading this article with an interview with Bruce Hornsby just now, and I came across a very interesting reference/mention by Bruce therein; it goes like this (and please note his VERY LAST SENTENCE):

"... Look, I’ve spent my career collaborating and getting calls from amazing people. There was the Dead, maybe the single most amazing collaboration. It was a beautiful, often transcendent experience to do that, and maybe especially earlier with Garcia. I wouldn’t trade anything for that. I was so influenced by them as a songwriter. Obviously, the younger generation of forward-thinking musicians feels the same way, hence this several CD Grateful Dead compilation that was put together."

https://www.stereogum.com/2038972/bruce-hornsby-spike-lee-grateful-dead…

I'd say that's a decent hint as to what's about to blow open with this box.

Sixtus

Yep - probably a hint at what's to come (though he could also be referencing the compliation of GD covers from modern bands that was put out a couple years ago). Either way, it should be an exciting day (and looks like I'm WAY off my prediction of a set from 76)!

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

I was really looking forward to it, but was on call and of course 20 min before show time the phone rings. But from what I hear everyone had a good time. However, there was no box announcement here. Apparently it's a U.S. only announcement.

That’s my prediction.

That way everyone gets the announcement at the same time. Tonight’s reveal will show what the Box looks like.

If it turns out to be a high-demand Box, can this website handle the onslaught?

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

Yes, it is a medical kind of thing. The only good thing about being on call this week is I've made more than enough to pay for this years box set!!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Hi you all, who were in the same situation confronted with an extra charge for transportation to europe (esp. Germany). Today UPs stands at my door and delivered Dave's Picks No. 31 without any extra costs. Dr. Rhino has cleared the situation. So all will get well.

The good ol Grateful Dead are my favorite band and have been for forty years. But the fact is is that they were very mediocre quite often, especially in the last 15 years. There are great shows from that period, but this isn’t one. There are at least ten shows from fall 79 that are better then this release. Dissenting respectful opinion should be welcomed and not looked down upon. My opinion is that the Ramble on Rose, Althea and Terrapin and others are painful to listen to. Just listening to the filler from the next night shows a more awake Jerry.
I don’t expect every release to be great, but there are plenty of good shows left in the vault and my opinion is is that this wasn’t one of them. Maybe Dave walked into the vault to grab 12-1-79 and a blue heron flew by and distracted him and he grabbed the wrong show.....I have lots of great shows to listen to, including the first two picks this year and I’m grateful for that. I guess my point is that just because it’s the Grateful Dead and Dave says it’s a great show doesn’t make it so.

People paying and supporting the cause have a right to voice an opinion, as do you. If that wasnt Jerry and the Dead and you heard a live recording of that show I think youd be more critical. This band and Jerry get a lot of slack for the rough nights and its well deserved - they gave us everything they had to the music. When it was a live show I took whatever they had on a given night and was always grateful. It was what it was in the moment. But now that its Dave picking shows and selling goods online 24 years after Jerry left, I think we can request better material or feel free to voice when we think he laid an egg. Sorry that offends your senses - but to my ears, Jerry, sadly, is a total wreck on DP31 . Glad your ears hear it different and that youre enjoying it though - if you want an extra copy Ill sell you mine at face value

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Just got mine. just uploaded to Itunes. I for one know I'm going to love this one immediately so will save my thoughts until after a listen.

Bummed to have to miss the Meet-Up. It will be epic. Not playing anywhere near me withing a 6 hour round trip drive. This is the second time they've overlooked my city. All previous showing played in my hometown. sure, attendance was less than stellar, but the money is in the release. Hope this is the box.

Hope I can afford the box. Hope it doesn't sell out before I can order one. These always seem to come out when I'm between pay periods and/or low on funds. If it is Giants '91, hope the edition numbers are high enough. sometimes they don't print enough copies of these to accomodate demand.

Whatever the case, the movie and box will no doubt be awesome.

Happy Birthday Jerry!

Also, any HQ scans of the cover from Dave's Picks 31up yet?

Thanks! Hope everyone is enjoying your Summer.

Listening to it with headphones - sounds good enough to these middle aged ears. Dave is right - from Oct through December, 1979 is full of fun, energized performances. Really like this little pocket in time and I'm happy to have this release.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

and I still don't remember much from the July 31/Aug 1 GD/Band shows in lovely Roosevelt Stadium. They could've filmed Bladerunner there...

It rained at least one night. And on Aug. 1, a woman riding on someone's shoulders was able to approach the lip of the stage and hand a birthday cake up to Jer. The music? I confess to few specific memories.

The run-up, though, was, in today's parlance, "epic." That was July 26 (travel), 27(soundchecks), 28 (shows) at Watkins Glen. We walked away from the all-star jam as Jer broke into Dylan's Takes a Lot to Laugh... and we got on the road because we had to. Made it home on the 29th. The very next day we go to a two-nighter with the GD and The Band. Guess I had a good time!

Let's do the math... In six days, I saw the GD and The Band play four shows each. Together. Throw in two Allman Brothers shows. So that's ten shows in six days. Probably explains why the first few days were memorable and the second half of the game is a bit fuzzy.

But I'm still on my feet! Confessions, confessions....

On to the movies, the box set and more summer.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Toggle back, yes there were scans kindly posted recently!

Blue Heron! :-)

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

I live in Maryland. My subscription Dave's Picks Vol. 31 is still sitting in Rhino's warehouse, "Shipment Ready for UPS". Anybody else with this problem?

user picture

Member for

16 years 2 months

After reading Dave's description of the DP31 first set I was prepared to be blown away by this show. Sorry to say it is not living up to expectations. Maybe unfair to judge having only listened to the 1st set but it's pretty mediocre. Sounds like the Scarlet > Fire may have potential but AARGH. Audience patch in Fire! C'mon, really? Not the first time one of these offerings has been a disappointment through the years. I'm sure plenty of hard work goes into these releases and I will continue to subscribe since it's an easy Christmas gift for my wife to get me but I hope future choices will be more satisfying. BTW, we saw them 3 weeks later in Oakland and they were on fire.

Not quite the same issue as you but according to the tracking, mine has been sitting in the OKC post office for 5 days now! Obviously not Rhino/Dead.net's fault but frustrating.

user picture

Member for

10 years 5 months

DP 31 captures the Dead at a good moment in '79. They were definitely in the groove for this show and it has "that swing". Sit on your porch, open a cool one and let this music wash over you as the sun goes down, remove all negativity from your mind and you will experience the music the way did way back in '79!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

It's not BIG, it's GIANT.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

This box is right in my sweet spot! 5 shows / $167 with shipping & tax. Don't have to break the bank or hide it from wifey. Nice mix. Bring on The Swamp!

Rock on

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Box is ordered, looking forward to seeing what it will look like. Given the source material, I anticipate that the sound should be excellent.
Edit: Actually, I was at the July 12, 1987 show, makes it even cooler. Saw the July 10, 1987 show in Philadelphia at JFK Stadium also that summer.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Blue ray box ordered - only 6000! Nice size for me and in the range of affordable on my pension so I am a happy Deadhead. Now if I could just get to hear DP31 :-))
Overseas Deadheads have always been here. I traded tapes via Relix adds from the late 70’s. Those that have their DP31 treasure it or pass it on. Peace & love to all.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years

Still waiting
Why????
The address on my package forgot to put the apartment #
So now it goes back to the sender
It takes 2 days to respond to a email
Never had this problem before
I wish all releases were digital
I wouldn’t have to deal with this mail foolishness
Also it would stop the “mark ups” on eBay later
Anyway I’ll get the Chicago Dave’ s pick sooner or later
Forgetting to put a apartment # for a Brooklyn Mailing ........madness!!!!!

Had a casual listen to the first set this evening driving around in the Toyota. It’s All Over Now was a standout for me. And I really like the well placed cannonballs in Jack A Roe. Have they had those before? I am assuming they came from Mickey rather than Bill. Maybe he was listing to Tchaikovsky’s 1812 before the show.

Sound wise, I think the vocals mesh better with the instrumentation than last year’s DaP 27 Boise. Could be better, but unobtrusive when the volume is kept reasonable. You can really tell when Jerry leans into the mic.

Looking forward to a close listen of Set II tomorrow.

Carry on!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Really enjoyed the show tonite. High lights for me were Might As Well and Truckin' > New Speedway Boogie. Great stuff. This leads me to believe that the new box will be delicious!

Rock on

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 7 months

Dead.net have submitted the missing commercial invoices and now it says mine will be here on Monday. Tracking still showing a payment is due but hopefully it has already being sorted or is about to be...

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Here in the Netherlands I see exactly the same information. On the UPS site, my package is still in Louisville,KY, but instead of daily warehouse scans, yesterday the following appeared: "A missing commercial invoice is causing a delay. / The information requested has been obtained and the hold has been resolved." and today there has been an import scan followed by an export scan. Delivery is scheduled for Monday. The freight charge of 81.88 EUR is still shown. I just hope they don't ask for payment on delivery. Optimism levels rising, blood pressure falling...

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

4 years 8 months

Mine apparently ready for collection from the local UPS delivery point...all charges settled. Let's see this afternoon...

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I saw the bulk of my shows in the '78 - '80 time frame, so I was looking forward to this release very much. I have listened to it once and found that I like it. I will be listening to it continually for the next week as I usually do. I like to really dig into any new release. Are there some ballads that seem a bit more slow then usual? Sure, but it is certainly not the train wreck some of you had led me to believe it might be. Just goes to show that every listener hears things differently.

I sign onto this forum first thing every morning, and check back on it constantly throughout the day. You Dead Heads are my kind of people. So it is with love and caring that I have to say to some here: PEOPLE! GET OVER IT"! Every release will not be Veneta! Just because Althea comes off a bit slow does not mean you have to comment on Jerry's heroin addiction, or his diet, or his traumatic life! Maybe he had a headache or a bellyache this night? Maybe he had just had a blow up with his wife / girlfriend? Maybe he just wanted to try it slower tonite as was his want, to keep changing it up to keep it interesting.

I think we all have the right to comment on the music, but try to keep it to that. Not to pontificate here, but none of us was on stage or back stage that night so none of us knows exactly what happened. All I know is, even when I hear a show that I thing is not up to par, it is still better then 95% of the crap I hear out there today. So I will sit back and enjoy this one and if I come across a show that is not too good, I will put it on the shelf and await hungrily for the next one.

Rock on

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 2 months

In reply to by simonrob

After 2 episodes of sending the UPS man away after refusing to pay £73, package containing 31 got pushed through my letterbox this morning, so the good Dr Rhino seems to have sorted the problem. Hopefully those still waiting will shortly be rewarded for their patience

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

I was in good shape for the first set ;)))

at set break I ate a couple pieces of candy ("green M&Ms", not electric ones)

the theater was 2/3 full, with a lot of space in the front row. so I moved up there and looked up at the screen with full sound.

"Giants Stadium". from my vantage point, it looked like everyone in the band was a 10 foot tall giant.

It was cool.

Phenomenal show. The sound was soooooo good.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-31-1.html