• 1,184 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Hold on to your hat, we're coming in strong with one from the Windy City that'll have you movin' and shakin' from start to finish. DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 signals a true rebirth of the Grateful Dead, reimagining classics and foreshadowing their 80s sound. This is as much in part due to freshly-minted member Brent Mydland bringing the organ back in as it is to Jerry finding new vivacity with his custom Wolf guitar. New guy, new guitar - it all makes for a heck of a good time!

Set One rolls like never-ending thunder with one standout after another - truly epic versions of "Brown-Eyed Women," "Ramble On Rose," "It's All Over Now," "Althea," and "The Music Never Stopped." Set Two hits with a crack of not-so-lazy lightning, barreling through an outrageous 28-minute "Scarlet>Fire" to a unique “Lost Sailor>Saint of Circumstance” and wrapping with a "blow the roof off the place" version of "Truckin'" and a rippin' "Johnny B. Goode." Ready for some quiet after the storm? You'll have to wait a just a little bit longer - we've filled in the gap on Disc 3 with a sprinkle of 12/4/79 - "Estimated>Franklin's Tower>" and an incredibly improvised “Jam.”

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 has been mastered from Dan Healy's cassette recordings to HDCD specs by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • rambly
    Default Avatar

Hello Marye
    Hoping you can point me in the right direction on this. I live in Canada and received a shipping invoice related to DaP 31. I emailed Dr. Rhino 3 times in August but no answer. UPS told me it was resolved when I called them in September, but then I just received a collection notice. I've emailed UPS again and Dr. Rhino again, but anything you can do to help would be gratefully appreciated! Thank you!

• fourwindsblow

Not a bad show the band really gets going by wharf rat which is typical for a first night of a three night run.

• wissinomingdeadhead
    Default Avatar

Anticipating the announcement for Daves Picks 2020 subscriptions any day now it usually coincides with the Grateful Dead Almamac. Better warn the wife to have her cc ready since the second year this is my Christmas present from her, she hates it because she doesn't have to go shopping for it. I know the 2020 calendar is available for sale Michael DuBois is the artist for next years calendar. All I can say BIO & PD
    BRING IT ON
    PLAY DEAD

• outpost

Just seen it along with the cover art on Ebay !

• alvarhanso

Makes me think Rex tape on 10 inch reels like 4/2/73. But Betty or Rex or Kidd doesn't make any difference to me. Looks to be a very good show on the back end of a very good tour.

• Lovemygirl

Source

• unkle sam

Trucking>Jam>Spanish Jam then the shortest dark star ever less than 4 minutes. DaP 32 is going to be a sweet one, can't wait to hear how they are going to clean up that Bertha start and some of those tape flips. Good luck Mr. Norman. Do a good job, take your time, we will all appreciate it.

• cub
    Default Avatar

As I am listening to a soundboard recording of 3.24.73 at https://archive.org/details/deadhead
    There are two Betty Boards listed. The 2nd listing has the complete show with 5134 views
    Bertha
    Beat It On Down
    Don't Ease Me In
    The Race Is On
    Cumberland Blues
    Box Of Rain
    Row Jimmy
    Jack Straw
    They Love Each Other
    Mexicali Blues
    Tennessee Jed
    Looks Like Rain
    Wave That Flag
    El Paso
    Here Comes Sunshine
    Me and Bobby McGee
    Loser
    Playing In The Band
    (set break)
    tuning
    Promised Land
    China Cat Sunflower
    I Know You Rider
    Big River
    Stella Blue
    Me and My Uncle
    He's Gone
    Truckin'
    Dark Star
    Sing Me Back Home
    Sugar Magnolia
    Johnny B. Goode

Wow 31 tracks, Thank you

• alvarhanso

Could be either one. Rex taped 4/2/73 DaP 21 (one of, if not the best sounding tapes in the Series), and a lot of his tapes were in Betty's collection as they were married. I think Kidd taped 3/28/73 DaP 16. Guess we'll find out in 3 weeks. Looking forward to this one, and love the artwork!

• Mytime
    Default Avatar

this one

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

Hold on to your hat, we're coming in strong with one from the Windy City that'll have you movin' and shakin' from start to finish. DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 signals a true rebirth of the Grateful Dead, reimagining classics and foreshadowing their 80s sound. This is as much in part due to freshly-minted member Brent Mydland bringing the organ back in as it is to Jerry finding new vivacity with his custom Wolf guitar. New guy, new guitar - it all makes for a heck of a good time!

Set One rolls like never-ending thunder with one standout after another - truly epic versions of "Brown-Eyed Women," "Ramble On Rose," "It's All Over Now," "Althea," and "The Music Never Stopped." Set Two hits with a crack of not-so-lazy lightning, barreling through an outrageous 28-minute "Scarlet>Fire" to a unique “Lost Sailor>Saint of Circumstance” and wrapping with a "blow the roof off the place" version of "Truckin'" and a rippin' "Johnny B. Goode." Ready for some quiet after the storm? You'll have to wait a just a little bit longer - we've filled in the gap on Disc 3 with a sprinkle of 12/4/79 - "Estimated>Franklin's Tower>" and an incredibly improvised “Jam.”

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 has been mastered from Dan Healy's cassette recordings to HDCD specs by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Stoltzfus, when I come to Seattle in a couple weeks I want you to be my ubereats driver. Just make sure to keep the tunes on and please offer me a piece of candy for later. :-)

P.S. Thanks for the updates international folks. I want to delve into this baby pronto as well. Still holding strong to my personal embargo, but I have fingers firmly crossed and it looks as though for the most part they are beginning to land where they ought to...

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

I really enjoy the Scarlet>Fire!!!! In fact I am listening to it again while I write this... Have a good weekend everyone... Bob t

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

....also attended last night in Framingham MA; the theater was PACKED! Most people I've ever seen at one of these. I was with a buddy who is in a band and is sort of a sound guy. After Walkin' Blues he gets up and leaves and comes back 10 minutes later saying he befriended the Manager and sound guy, had them take a picture of the soundboard upstairs, then gave him pointers on what to do to clean up and intensify the sound in our theater. It was extremely noticeable. I could hear the show from the bathroom across the hall after that, as they had turned on a bunch of surround speakers that apparently had not been previously turned on - it was like being there!

I have always loved this show ever since they first aired that Eyes of the World on 'In Concert' sometime during the summer of '91. I had that on VHS, then eventually got it to a cassette and it was my 'go-to' Eyes. Being able to watch the interplay with Bruce and the rest of the band was very special for this whole show. I really enjoyed that visual aspect and with the sound booming, it was pure delight. Can't wait for this box.

Happy Friday Dead Freaks.
Sixtus

After my 2 episodes of sending the UPS man away after refusing to pay £73, package containing 31 is now residing in a UPS warehouse in Dundee. Tracking has been updated to "Clearance In Progress: Your package will be held at a warehouse until it is released by the clearance agency " and UPS are still asking for the £73 to be paid.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

4 years 8 months

So much for my hopes. My copy is now in a UPS collection point 10 minutes walk away, still with £73 to pay.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 3 months

....thought that’s what this board was for.

Oh, that pocket in Its All Over Now! Are there other versions of this song I need to hear?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

The bad news arrived this afternoon in the form of an invoice from UPS for the freight charge of EUR 81.88. Checking the UPS tracking site, that charge was still up there, the package had left Louisville, KY and was on a transatlantic flight and it should be delivered on Monday.

The inevitable phone call to UPS was a somewhat long-winded affair starting with explaining the situation to an Irishman and, having got nowhere, ending with me telling him that I would not accept the package if I had to pay that freight charge. This seemed to spook him and he transferred me to a much more affable Dutch woman. After another lengthy explanation including quoting "This issue is now in the process of being resolved and we (Rhino) will be paying the UPS delivery fee associated with your Dave’s Picks Volume 31 shipment." from the recent customer service mail that I had received, she then seemed to discover the relevant piece of data from somewhere because she then told me that the package was on its way from Louisville, KY and would be delivered to me on Monday FREE OF CHARGE. I then asked if that meant I could ignore the invoice and was told that this was indeed the case.

Now I will have to wait and see what Monday brings. I will be at work all day but my dear wife will be at home to receive the goods. You can be quite sure that she won't give anybody a cent for a Grateful Dead CD. I won't tell her what it is or she might refuse it.

I have seen the envelope containing my copy 3 times as UPS asked if I wanted to pay £73.92 to get it. I said no each time. The UPS tracking still shows the charge needing to be paid. There have now been two working days in the US since the assurance that the problem was being addressed. Let’s hope something is done today or the weekend will intervene. I don’t imagine UPS are going to keep the item forever so I wonder what happens next?

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

It occurs to me that someone here who works from home or has the extra time on their hands and could use a modest handling fee should set up an independent reseller network for our good friends overseas who are continually getting hosed on shipping.

I buy stuff from people on ebay, amazon, etc. all the time and I have never had trouble receiving parcel post (USPS) deliveries from places like Germany, England, Russia, and even China. Sure, it can take a week or two, but it's cheap and reliable.

Someone could set up a PayPal account, have this person order your Dave's subscription, box set, etc., have it shipped to their location in the U.S., then take it to the good ol' post office and send it overseas that way.

Clearly, there has to be a better way.

Not anywhere near expert, but I thought I understood there was a value tax added to items regardless of where and who they come from. We have a friend who mails stuff to her kid in England. She sends him books she has read and he has to pay a tax when he gets them, regardless of it being a present from mom.

True? Don't know for sure, I'm sure those across the water know.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by Dennis

Ledded
Previous DaP have been delivered to me from Europe. I assume Rhino bulk shipped them to there and then they were all sorted and posted on. I’m sure Rhino could explain if they look at these comments. The latest disc was sent unpaid for directly from the US using UPS.

Dennis
There can be import tax and/or value added tax (VAT) added to an order into the UK from the US together with a handling charge. These taxes are related to the value of the item in the package, if the value is low then no charge is made. I don’t have a problem with these tax charges. However, having paid for international delivery with the original order I don’t expect to be hit with freight charges of £73.92. None of this charge relates to government taxes.

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Finished my first full listen to Dave's 31, and I love it even more than I thought I was going to.

Overall SOLID set 1, with BEW, Ramble, Althea being my standouts. Interesting take on Jack-a-Roe too. Oh, and It's All Over Now is grooving too :)

The Scarlet>Fire is INTENSE... definitely a contender for best so far in the series, and I am fully aware that there are some really good ones (looking at you, Mosque!) The Terrapin is played at a glacial, almost Dead and Co. pace, but I really love Jerry's singing on it. I was a little let down with the Playin'. Like Dave, I too am a HUGE fan of this tune, but this one just left me a little cold. I'll give it some more attention and I'm sure I'll find something to love about it.

For me though, it's all about Disc 3... the groovy short Space into Lost Sailor>Saint. TBH, I am not a big Sailor fan, but I really like this one... maybe it's the placement in the set, or maybe it's because it's a new tune, but Bobby and the boys deliver a very strong performance, and I liked it more than any other version I've heard. The Saint is a rager (as usual,) and the Wharf Rat is incredible. Some folks mentioned that Jerry sounds tired, but I think he sings the hell out of Wharf Rat - so nuanced and vulnerable sounding... I don't know. Jerry really seems to be on to me. Not sure what other folks were hearing. Anyway... then, the transition to Truckin'. Jaw. On. Floor. The climax of Truckin' is absolutely thundering! MUST PLAY IT LOUD! JBG is a great capper to a great set... then there's the awesome bonus material with that once off Jam! Yeah... Disc 3 is worth the price alone on this baby. Happy to have it in the collection.

I was really feeling that Dave's 32 was going to be 91,... maybe Halloween, or one of the September Boston Garden shows to go with Dick's 17, but now that the box set has been announced as a later-era release, I'm wondering if Dave is going to go back and release a 68 show or two. There was some discussion around these parts about three discs being the perfect length for two of those shorter 68 shows... that would be a nice way to round out this grateful year!

For some reason, MUATM isn't playing in Baltimore until the 15th... got my ticket though. Not sure why I've got to wait an extra two weeks, but oh well. Glad to hear it was a good time for those who went!

Peace

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 2 months

In reply to by Dennis

Actually just a point here that you should not be charged VAT on books being posted from the US to the UK - they are VAT free. Meanwhile still no movement on the shipping charge problem...

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

is mighty fine. how can some people not like this?

It's Grateful Dead.

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

edible and 31...nice Friday night with the Mrs. gone to visit relatives in Cali...as long as the cats don't rat me out...

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

six out of my last seven posts...NO CAPTCHA!!!!...should head out and by a lottery ticket

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

...I believe I’ve heard three little birds singing this morning what the next Daves Picks #32 is...it happened so fast before they flew away but I think I heard it’s going to be another era not yet covered in the last past Daves Picks Seriers releases...I just refilled my plethora of bird feeders in my backyard, including my 3 humming bird feeders as well, before it gets to dark outside and I added fresh water in my bird bath! Lol I have hundreds of birds that visit my home everyday of the year, it’s so beautiful both visually and hearing; sounding!
Had a bald eagle land in the tree infront of my house a few months ago, I took photos. Amazing animal, it had to be over 5-7 years old because of his colors. A magnificent white colored head. I wish I knew how to post photos, I’m not as smart as a robot lol ha ha...
Ill report back when those same three little birds visit again and I’ll be sure to remember the full song...😉
Take care everyone, have a grateful weekend!

I have five or six hummingbird feeders scattered around my front porch and so long as I mix sugar and water they seem to come back. I see Bald Eagles perhaps half the days I paddle, they seem to coexist on the river I live on, but truth be known, the eagles do ok so long as they don't piss off the Ospreys or impede on their hunting ground. Bald Eagles are the lookers but scavengers nonetheless, Ospreys, on the other hand, are kick ass predators.. kill first and take names later. Once Bald Eagles turn about three years old and the assume adult plumage, I use size go guess their age but its a crapshot.

If you know the next Dave's Picks, let us know (or PM me). Either would be grand.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Steve Jones
The extract below is from an official gov.uk site. It shows the types of taxes currently payable. This might change when the UK leaves the EU. The carrier then adds a handling fee to this.

VAT
You pay VAT on goods sent from non-European Union (EU) countries and EU special territories (eg the Canary Islands) if they’re:

gifts worth more than £39
other goods worth more than £15
alcohol, tobacco products and fragrances (eg perfume, eau de toilette and cologne) of any value
You have to pay VAT on all goods sent by mail order from the Channel Islands no matter what their value.
You’ll be charged at the VAT rate that applies to your goods. VAT is charged on the total value, including:

the price paid for the goods
postage, packaging and insurance
any duty you owe
Customs Duty
You’ll be charged Customs Duty on gifts and other goods sent from outside the EU if they’re above a certain value.

The value includes:

the price paid for the goods
postage, packaging and insurance
Type and value of goods Customs Duty
Anything under £135 No charge
Gifts worth £135-£630 2.5%, but rates are lower for some goods - call the helpline
Gifts above £630 and other goods above £135 The rate depends on the type of goods and where they came from - call the helpline

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 2 months

In reply to by Colin Gould

Yes, that hmrc guide summerises the charging of vat and other duties when importing into the UK. However books are classified as section three items and are not charged. This seems to be the case for most countries worldwide so should remain the case even after Brexit. This is all to do with not taxing reading. However books with cds are vatable as are ebooks. The customs sticker should clearly state books or magazines or printed matter to avoid customs trying it on with a charge.

Talking of birds, I got attacked by one by one last week-and I'm not talking about my friend Carol, (sorry!)
The seagulls here in Lowestoft, on the East coast are very aggressive, and I got dive bombed a few times by one last week. I apparently walked under a chimney where they were nesting. It didn't make contact, but it flew very close to my head. I have also seen them swoop and take food out of peoples hands when it isn't being offered. Which actually looks pretty cool.

Also, I am having a new guitar delivered today-a white Guild Thunderbird. Its a reissue, but supposedly modelled closely on the original, available between about 1964 and 1968. There will be good rocking tonight.

I've also had an email form Dr Rhino to say he is paying the freight charges on Dave's Picks, so its all good really.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

Trying to get through an airport at the moment

Can they make flying even worse?

No, they can't.

What a clusterbunch.

Absolutely terrible system

...greetings my friend, hope all is well. I enjoy your posts very much, thank you for adding so much to this community. I must of thanked you many times over the years but for some reason if you may have forgotten, thank you again for being you! I’m very grateful for your posts, it’s one of the reasons why I’m still here. :)
I want to apologize if I caused any bad vibes or anything just doing my best to be a peaceful Deadhead, human being and contributor to this dead land. I should of made it more clear I My first post, it’s a Riddle. The answer is right infront of you. Everyone seems to enjoy riddles here it seems so I’m giving it another shot. I’ve done it in the past in my posts and some folks got it and PM’d me. One of the ways I’ve met and became friends with some beautiful people in this community. So, there it is. I’ll post more info. Have a grateful day my friend, peace be with you!
ps I would love to go kayaking where you live!!!
🙏❤️💀

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

I really enjoyed my first listen to 31...not sure what all the fuss is about? I did think the vocals were a little out front, and that Bobby was a little low in the mix, but that’s just an observation...certainly not complaining or frustrated with it by any means. Put me in Mr. Pete’s camp, give me some of what he’s smokin and drinkin, and I’m one happy camper! Will hopefully have another listen this weekend but feeling a bit under the weather, so we shall see. By the way Mr. Pete, I love your posts. They always make me feel like I am sitting on the porch with you. I hope you get your Greek Box someday soon!

Speaking of vocals...I identify with other opinions about not listening to GD for the vocals...it’s generally more about the music, but the more I think about it, I do also love the vocals and more so the lyrics, and even more specifically, I love the imperfections of the vocals swirled around the open interpretation of the lyrics and the music. I mean they kind of all roll into one, do they not?

Let’s face it, none of our boys, even Jerry on his best day is/was going to win a Grammy for best vocalist, but that’s really not the point, at least for me. The way I understand it is that the band members never cared much for awards or accolades anyways. What gets it for me is the power and raw emotion with which the vocals and lyrics are sung, and the clear passion that the boys have for the tunes they are singing. And regardless of the era, the passion to me is always evident. In the early years, Jerrys voice is so sweet, endearing, youthful and forward looking. In the latter years, grizzled and worn, yet reflectful of the many roads traveled, like an old storyteller. Bobs voice is iconic and the most consistent throughout the years, and Phil, well Phil’s voice is just Phil’s voice....guy sings a mean Box of Rain!

This brings me back to Mayer. A popular poster on this board once said to me that “JM couldn’t sing his way out out of a wet paper bag.” This was almost 2 years ago. I haphazardly agreed at the time, having only listened to a few Mayer/Dead&Co versions of some of the tunes. I myself preferred Kadlecik who sounds more like Jerry. After seeing D&C live and listening to most all of their shows to date, I now, respectfully & happily have a much different opinion. I love John and what he is bringing to the latest iteration of the band, and like some band members have stated, I now like the fact that he doesn’t sound like Jerry. He is putting his own spin on the music we all love, in full collaboration with, and with the full support of the remaining band members (minus Phil of course). His passion for the music is quite evident and he brings a different kind of, dare I say, youthful energy to the band and the performance. His guitar playing is spot on (no it is not Jerry and never will be, but it is John and it is GD music), and his voice is his own, take it or leave it, I doubt neither him or the rest of the band really give a shit about what we think of their voices, nor should they. I have no control over when I was born, but I do love this music, and I know I am damn grateful that I can still see it live, the way it was meant to be heard, from band members who play the music with love & passion, and with a community that has unequivocal love for the same music and for each other, regardless of age or era. At least that’s how it’s supposed to be....I think? Maybe just my opinion, or are we all just a fucking cover band? I think not!!!!

For the record, I also love cover bands, especially good ones, like The Schwag here in KC who I try to see at least twice a year. After all, the GD and JG did play a ton of great covers, but we seem to throw the term cover band around as if it’s some type of insult. Not really sure what that’s all about? Imitation is one of the greatest forms of flattery, which is a form of kindness. Be kind......

Anyways, I’ll stop blabbing, and hope I’m not offending anyone. I may not agree with or understand all of the opinions out there, but I do respect them and I try to be respectful. Mine is just another one to throw on the fire....

Dennis...you mentioned “ never argue with an idiot”...reminds me of...”never wrestle with a pig....you both get dirty, but the pig likes it!”

DaveRock...I love Guilds, and that looks like a fun guitar. I have always loved the acoustic D55 Guild....behemoth of a guitar with a price tag to match, but it’s a beauty. My custom Turquoise/Triple Burst MJT VTT is supposed to be assembled next week so looking forward to finally getting that...been waiting around 18 weeks now!

Enjoy the weekend Dead People

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Lovemygirl

Thanks for the kind words LMG. No, no problems at all.. thanks for contributing, enjoy your posts too.

Take care of yourself.

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Many mahalo's for the covert art!!!!!!!!!!

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by stillwaters

Most DaPs are mixed at a sound level that corresponds to a volume setting of 40 on my Onkyo amp.
DaP 31 requires a volume setting of 49 or 50. Not sure why it was mixed lower, but that seems to be the case with the releases that come from cassette masters. Charlie Miller offerings of cassette masters also play at a similar volume on my system.
At that volume setting I was able to hear Bob on several songs.
So, turn it up to 11.

Speaking of birds, and LMG’s Bird Song riddle.
I was out on my deck a little while ago sitting in the sun and drinking a cup of coffee (super dark roasted Columbian Jimbo - think I may get some roasting done later today) and a humming bird flew over by me, hovered for a bit, and then flew off. I didn’t have any sugar water to offer, so the bird didn’t tell me what DaP 32 was going to be.

Spinning Garcia 11, 11-11-93, at the moment. That’s a lot of 11’s.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 3 months

In reply to by SteveGold425

I appreciate everyone's honest opinion and look forward to reading them. Its the bashing that gets tiring.

On second listen, I was okay with the sound quality on disc 1. I hadn't listened to disc 2, and it definitely has its issues. This isn't a top ten show by any means, but its better than the one from 1980 a year or 2 ago.

I don't need a second one. At 67, I am starting to think of selling them all and just streaming. My first show was Manhatten Center April 5, 1970. Second one was 04/28/71, Fillmore East. First one blew me away. I thought the New Riders were the Dead because I saw Jerry up there. After they were done, I realized the Dead were next. 04/28 is best dead show I saw. I was also at Dave's Picks 5 at UCLA and got there at 2 pm and hung out with thebob and jerry who arrived at 3 for the sound check. I was in the gym and I didn't get kicked out along with 20 other people. Jerry was talking about starting their own record company to control everything for better sound.

happy trails!

user picture

Member for

7 years

Audio patch in fire? Do you really think that is what they wanted to do? So you want them to ditch the show in the trash because of something they could not avoid. Or mabey delete fire from the show entirely like on Dicks picks? Give them a break. The can only do so much to an old tape. Nothing personal skwimite.

user picture

Member for

7 years

I was also there in framingham. The guy with the filson field bag. (Man pocket book). I heard the guys on the other side complaining too. It was a blast. They did fix the audio I think. Good times.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

Just received an e-mail from UPS advising they're going to deliver DaP31 to me late tomorrow, but still requiring not just a signature but a payment of £73.92 import charges! This having received an e-mail from Dr Rhino early yesterday which read:
"Update regarding your Dave’s Picks Volume 31 shipment:
I have been advised that there was a mix up with the international paperwork, for you shipment.
This issue is now in the process of being resolved and we (Rhino) will be paying the UPS delivery fee associated with your Dave’s Picks Volume 31 shipment.
I am currently awaiting confirmation from our warehouse contact that your delivery fee has been paid.
As soon as I receive this confirmation, I will send you an update.
We again apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.
If you have any questions, please let me know.
Sincerely,
Dr. Rhino"

So clearly still not resolved then despite my sending various e-mails with order and tracking numbers!

...and to 'Daverock', I know the seagulls only too well myself, also curiously and co-incidentally living in Lowestoft. Our daughter lives two doors away, and they had a nest on the chimney stack, and the kids couldn't get into the back garden for a few days a while back for fear of them being attacked by the gulls protecting the 'chicks' in the nest. I should say that the chicks are no small birds neither!

phantomengineer

I had that message on 31st July. UPS still show the charge today. Rhino had two clear days to sort this before the weekend. I’m assuming that they don’t work at the weekend (?) so in the UK I think the earliest we can hope for any further action is mid afternoon, our time, on Monday. I still have some hope.

I've had the same email as Colin and Phantomengineer, which I took as good news. It seems the battle may not be quite over yet!

That is an amazing coincidence, phantomengineer, that you also live in Lowestoft. Maybe it was your daughters house I walked past when I got dive bombed! You'll be telling me you live in Pakefield next.
On the seagull theme, I noticed the other day that Soft Machine are playing at the Seagull Theatre next month. Last time I saw them it was at Ronnie Scotts.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

Daverock - we have Soft Machine up here in Nottingham in October. Love this band. I saw them a year or so ago at the Derby Flowerpot which isn’t much bigger than my sitting room! This time they’ll be at the Bonington Theatre which is much larger. Hope you enjoy them,
My DaP is supposedly being delivered tomorrow so we’ll see how it goes- only thing is I’m away until Tuesday and the rescheduling facility doesn’t appear to work. Sob,

user picture

Member for

15 years 3 months

I can't stand in line at the store
The mean little people are such a bore
But it's alright if you act like a turd
'Cause I like
Birds

If you're small and on a search
I've got a feeder for you to perch on

-Eels

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

Soft Machine at the Seagull Theatre, Lowestoft: looks like an idea, although my wife would certainly not be keen. Didn't even realise they were still in existence. I must admit though, that I know little or nothing of their work post-Wyatt.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by frankparry

They are Alive and Well, to quote an album title, and as good as ever. Brilliant live band-and grossly overlooked-possibly because their music has been, since the first three albums, exclusively, as far as I am aware, instrumental. Maybe they are too "jazz" for rock fans, and too "rock" for jazz fans.

I have just noticed on Amazon that the three Harvest albums from 1975 have been reissued in a digitally remastered box for a mere £18.00. I am not familiar with any of these albums, but the first features Allan Holdsworth on guitar, and the latter two feature John Etheridge who is still with them today. So, a bit more guitaristic than the Softs albums that preceded them. Needless to say, I have pulled the trigger, so, if Dave dont come knocking at my door tomorrow, at least this will come plopping through my letter box by way of compensation.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by daverock

You made me check. I have one album "Third". Listening to "Moon in June". Nice sound so far.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by Dennis

I got Soft Machine Third in 1970, shortly after its release, by joining the Columbia Record Club. Any of you old farts remember that? I think I got 12 records and a turntable suitcase stereo thing with detachable speakers for like $1.99. Only catch was I had to buy 12 albums at full price during the next calendar year. I picked Soft Machine Third cause it was a two-fer with one song per side. Never really warmed up to it but I still have it. Two things I remember about the Columbia Record Club...The record player was so cheap my mom wrote Columbia Records shaming them...I had to tape coins on top of the arm to keep it from just floating across the record and turning off...damn thing could pack up like a suitcase...second thing and this is serious...two of the albums I picked were Miles Davis Bitches Brew and John Coltrane Live In Seattle. Those 2 albums changed my life.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

HI All,
First of all, I really do feel for those of you overseas having to deal with this shipping debacle. It seems like this was the first time where the product made it all the way overseas quickly only to have it stymied at the front door. The fact that the collect on delivery charge was added is ridiculous. It almost feels like the overseas orders got there quickly because of this charge- In other words the usual length of time of delivery would have applied had this charge not been instituted. Maybe this was explained earlier on in the comments or at least theorized. I really do hope this get resolved soon for all of you.

As for DAP 31, I do enjoy this show. In reading through some of the comments, I can see where some have less than stellar reviews on it. The show has at times a "subdued" vibe to it. As Dave alluded to in his seaside chat, and others have noticed as well, Terrapin is slow for example. Yet not all of the show is like that - I think the Scarlet > Fire is good, as is the Playin'. Althea is always great to hear and even though it is also played slower, I feel like it was played at that pace for most of 1979. There does some seem to be some mixing issues, again is this because of the source? I am not going to lie, I have been spoiled by the Betty Boards a little, it's kind of hard not to be. Yet I see these mixing issues and audience patches as minor warts that don't detract from the overall quality of the show as they are not persistent. Back in the days of tapes, I had a few shows that , due to my cognition and balance at the time, I went to press play and pressed record with it, obviously causing a several second gap in a songs as I accidently overdubbed a snippet. As frustrating as it was to hear that upon further playbacks ( I did this to my copy of 9/18/87...), it added a little character to it, but it never detracted from the show.

Now I recently listened to the 12/1 show which was one many of us were hoping for. I feel like that may have been a mistake as it could have clouded my impression of DaP 31. Certainly 12/1 is more high energy throughout, but I try to take in each show on it's own merit. A great example of this is 7/7/78. ( I just recently acquired the July 78 box). I was very familiar with 7/8/78 but then I listened to 7/7, which I always had it my head that it was the lesser of the 2 Red Rocks shows. Well not only do I think it is equal to 7/8, I actually like it a little more. With that being the case 12/3 has more going for it than it doesn't to my ears and mind so I am enjoying it. However I am still hoping for more 1979 shows as I know there many other good ones out there. Maybe we will get 11/30 and 12/1 released together- I would that Burg' pairing for sure.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by mhammond12

Several of my siblings built their record collection subscribing to the Columbia Record Club.

A blast from the past. I am fairly sure my brother got Terrapin Station from them and some Sabbath. My sister was into Bread, America and stuff like that. By the time I came of age everyone seemed to be wise to it and all I got was access to the second hand records that were already floating around the family.

Clearly they morphed into Publishers Clearing House or some similar scheme... I am still waiting for my Million Dollar Check from Ed McMahon.

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Jimi Hendrix
Soft Machine
Electric Flag
Blue Cheer

in Los Angeles at The Shrine Auditorium...the first time i went to get tickets for something and was told they were sold out...being young and dumb (17 yrs old) I had no idea I could've probably gone to the gig and scored one...oh well, but it still pisses me off...

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 7 months

Mine is ready for delivery today but still showing the £74 to pay.....

Will have to see what happens but I’m not hopeful

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 5 months

My DP31 is now held in a warehouse at Castle Donnington with the £73.92 still to be paid.

So emails and phone calls to UPS on Friday didn’t help one little bit.

Ok so Rhino messed up but UPS are not looking too clever either, having had the package for 10days, while some have had theirs delivered.

Fingers crossed that the jobsworths and suits see sense and sort it out PDQ.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by mhammond12

This is always regraded as their best record . I still like their first one-First, if you please. Its got both Kevin Ayers and Robert Wyatt on, and features quite a lot of songs. Its their most accessible album with definite psych leanings. Its not typical of what was to follow, though.

Of all the bands I see who have been around for decades, Soft Machine may be the most consistently creative. Their power live has absolutely nothing to do with nostalgia. You don't need to know a thing about them to enjoy them now-or indeed, their last excellent studio album "Hidden Details", from last year. Actually-that might be the best album to get if you wanted to dip your toe into the water-great guitar from John Etheridge.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 9 months

Fridays good news from Dr Rhino - we are working on it and the matter will be resolved.
Sundays good news from UPS - Your parcel will be delivered tomorrow!
Mondays good news - True to their word the UPS man rolls up....
Sadly... still requesting the GBP 73 payment.
Thanks but......

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-31-1.html