• 1,184 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Hold on to your hat, we're coming in strong with one from the Windy City that'll have you movin' and shakin' from start to finish. DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 signals a true rebirth of the Grateful Dead, reimagining classics and foreshadowing their 80s sound. This is as much in part due to freshly-minted member Brent Mydland bringing the organ back in as it is to Jerry finding new vivacity with his custom Wolf guitar. New guy, new guitar - it all makes for a heck of a good time!

Set One rolls like never-ending thunder with one standout after another - truly epic versions of "Brown-Eyed Women," "Ramble On Rose," "It's All Over Now," "Althea," and "The Music Never Stopped." Set Two hits with a crack of not-so-lazy lightning, barreling through an outrageous 28-minute "Scarlet>Fire" to a unique “Lost Sailor>Saint of Circumstance” and wrapping with a "blow the roof off the place" version of "Truckin'" and a rippin' "Johnny B. Goode." Ready for some quiet after the storm? You'll have to wait a just a little bit longer - we've filled in the gap on Disc 3 with a sprinkle of 12/4/79 - "Estimated>Franklin's Tower>" and an incredibly improvised “Jam.”

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 has been mastered from Dan Healy's cassette recordings to HDCD specs by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • rambly
    Default Avatar

Hello Marye
    Hoping you can point me in the right direction on this. I live in Canada and received a shipping invoice related to DaP 31. I emailed Dr. Rhino 3 times in August but no answer. UPS told me it was resolved when I called them in September, but then I just received a collection notice. I've emailed UPS again and Dr. Rhino again, but anything you can do to help would be gratefully appreciated! Thank you!

• fourwindsblow

Not a bad show the band really gets going by wharf rat which is typical for a first night of a three night run.

• wissinomingdeadhead
    Default Avatar

Anticipating the announcement for Daves Picks 2020 subscriptions any day now it usually coincides with the Grateful Dead Almamac. Better warn the wife to have her cc ready since the second year this is my Christmas present from her, she hates it because she doesn't have to go shopping for it. I know the 2020 calendar is available for sale Michael DuBois is the artist for next years calendar. All I can say BIO & PD
    BRING IT ON
    PLAY DEAD

• outpost

Just seen it along with the cover art on Ebay !

• alvarhanso

Makes me think Rex tape on 10 inch reels like 4/2/73. But Betty or Rex or Kidd doesn't make any difference to me. Looks to be a very good show on the back end of a very good tour.

• Lovemygirl

Source

• unkle sam

Trucking>Jam>Spanish Jam then the shortest dark star ever less than 4 minutes. DaP 32 is going to be a sweet one, can't wait to hear how they are going to clean up that Bertha start and some of those tape flips. Good luck Mr. Norman. Do a good job, take your time, we will all appreciate it.

• cub
    Default Avatar

As I am listening to a soundboard recording of 3.24.73 at https://archive.org/details/deadhead
    There are two Betty Boards listed. The 2nd listing has the complete show with 5134 views
    Bertha
    Beat It On Down
    Don't Ease Me In
    The Race Is On
    Cumberland Blues
    Box Of Rain
    Row Jimmy
    Jack Straw
    They Love Each Other
    Mexicali Blues
    Tennessee Jed
    Looks Like Rain
    Wave That Flag
    El Paso
    Here Comes Sunshine
    Me and Bobby McGee
    Loser
    Playing In The Band
    (set break)
    tuning
    Promised Land
    China Cat Sunflower
    I Know You Rider
    Big River
    Stella Blue
    Me and My Uncle
    He's Gone
    Truckin'
    Dark Star
    Sing Me Back Home
    Sugar Magnolia
    Johnny B. Goode

Wow 31 tracks, Thank you

• alvarhanso

Could be either one. Rex taped 4/2/73 DaP 21 (one of, if not the best sounding tapes in the Series), and a lot of his tapes were in Betty's collection as they were married. I think Kidd taped 3/28/73 DaP 16. Guess we'll find out in 3 weeks. Looking forward to this one, and love the artwork!

• Mytime
    Default Avatar

this one

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

Hold on to your hat, we're coming in strong with one from the Windy City that'll have you movin' and shakin' from start to finish. DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 signals a true rebirth of the Grateful Dead, reimagining classics and foreshadowing their 80s sound. This is as much in part due to freshly-minted member Brent Mydland bringing the organ back in as it is to Jerry finding new vivacity with his custom Wolf guitar. New guy, new guitar - it all makes for a heck of a good time!

Set One rolls like never-ending thunder with one standout after another - truly epic versions of "Brown-Eyed Women," "Ramble On Rose," "It's All Over Now," "Althea," and "The Music Never Stopped." Set Two hits with a crack of not-so-lazy lightning, barreling through an outrageous 28-minute "Scarlet>Fire" to a unique “Lost Sailor>Saint of Circumstance” and wrapping with a "blow the roof off the place" version of "Truckin'" and a rippin' "Johnny B. Goode." Ready for some quiet after the storm? You'll have to wait a just a little bit longer - we've filled in the gap on Disc 3 with a sprinkle of 12/4/79 - "Estimated>Franklin's Tower>" and an incredibly improvised “Jam.”

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 has been mastered from Dan Healy's cassette recordings to HDCD specs by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by Sydney Prentice

Sydney - My copy, delivered free of extra charges, was diverted from the Exeter depot today. So they can do it! If I was you I'd be hassling them. Mine was stuck in the system until yesterday when I sent them another email quoting Dr Rhino's email. That seems to have done the trick for me.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

4 years 8 months

Up here in East Yorkshire l have had 3 visits from Ups asking for the fees to be paid and it has now gone on hold in their warehouse contacted them by email and got reply saying sender had not paid the import fees
Dr rhino several times has told me to refuse to pay them and his last email was to request a replacement if not delivered by end of next week
So still not resolved!!
What a fiasco

Charly,
I've just spent nearly an hour on the phone to UPS, apparently the email from Dr Rhino just refers to US delivery, they have still only paid for depot to US port of exit. You have to ask UPS billing to revert the UK delivery bill to Rhino for anything further to move, I've been promised delivery tomorrow with nil to pay....I wait with baited breath.

& if any of you are waiting for the Woodstock set as well, have a careful check because it looks like they've screwed up the invoicing for that too.
Can't get any reply from anyone at Rhino or Dead.net about it, but UPS US say mine has been returned to sender.

I'm not sure contacting UPS makes any difference. I only made one phone call to them about two weeks ago-a call that didn't really go anywhere. They told me conclusively that it wouldn't be delivered until they got paid. Apart form the odd email to Dr Rhino, I didn't do anything much after that-and then hey presto-it arrived to "paid" written on it.
So my understanding is that until Dr Rhino contacts UPS, and pays up on behalf of Deadnet, then nothing will be delivered.
That's my take on it, anyway. It doesn't make sense why some are being delivered free of charge and some are not, though.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Finally got a mail from UPS this morning after numerous fruitless phone calls to Customer Service. The relevant part of the mail is as follows:

"I have checked our tracking record and it shows that an amount of 81,88 EUR is still due on your package. I recommend that you contact the shipper, WEA D2C DISTRIBUTION so that they could liaise with their local UPS."

Naturally I will forward the mail to Dr. Rhino, but I suspect his efforts to sort this out started with contacting the local UPS. Last monday, I received a mail from Dr. Rhino which included the following:

"I am very sorry to hear that UPS is still attempting to charge you a delivery fee.
I am unable to access any further information on your UPS shipment.
If UPS continues to attempt delivery & require a fee for delivery, please refuse the shipment."

Curious to know what the next moves will be.

I have spent so much (wasted) time calling UPS Customer Service. So much that I received a bill today from my internet phone provider for 20.46 EUR, all of which went on calling UPS Customer Service.

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

Hot Off the Press from a wet & rainy North Yorkshire. After nothing since my initial refusal to pay the fee last Friday, UPS have just delivered my copy of DP31 at the 2nd attempt - no fee requested. Relief for me & I thought some of you might be interested. Hopefully everyone will get a similar result before too long.

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

... any onelse a fan of ‘ go to nuassau May 15th May 16th 1980
Another Primo release and audio mix / mastering! I love it! Have a grateful day everyone, god bless 🙏❤️😎
Have

Thanks for the prompt IVANKRAL,
just spent 20mins on their website, and I am none the wiser, apparently, they don't know where it is, despite the website showing it scanned this morning in Exeter.
I am loathed to order the new Boxset or anything else at the moment, there is just too much grief involved.
Apologies to everyone here who has got the Pick and are hopefully enjoying it, I don't mean to put a negative light on this release, I am normally a positive person. Back to all my great Grateful Dead releases before DaP31.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Lovemygirl

Good to hear from you LMG. Always loved this 1980 release. The sound quality is really good, much better fidelity than the RT May 80 Cornell/Penn State release.
Would love to see more 80 released!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 11 months

Sydney, if it is any consolation my tracking yesterday said it had been scanned and was in transit (no delivery date.) The UPS guy turned up unexpectedly mid afternoon. Hang on in there, I am sure you will get it. I'm still waiting for my replacement copy of DaP30 which apparently went missing all those months ago.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

On leave this week: today in Lowestoft is wet, but it wasn't this morning when we took the grandchildren to the beach to 'run off some steam' as they say. I should say the steam was the grandchildren's, not ours!

On our return, what should be laying on the doormat but my DaP31, which like others have reported looks like it's been around the world four times, and now has a simple white sticker over the 'charge sticker' on which somebody has written "PAID B 1280337", whatever the last bit means. It was delivered at 11.43am, so an e-mail subsequently received stated, but with no previous indication from either UPS or Dr Rhino that my case had been resolved. ...And I say my case because as I've intimated before, I think this is how they are all being resolved, rather than on a wholesale basis. If it was being resolved on a wholesale basis, I would have received my package at the same time as DAVEROCK, who sounds as though he lives not much more than a mile away from me, and who presumably has had the same UPS van and driver on his case.

In the end, I sent both parties - UPS and Dr Rhino - my latest e-mails from the other, so that UPS had an e-mail from Dr Rhino regarding their efforts to pay the 'bill', and Dr Rhino had a UPS tracking number to use when contacting the latter.

So for others less fortunate thus far, I don't think you can be passive in this situation and think it's going to work out. At the very least, you are going to have to give Dr Rhino a tracking number relating to your package so he can contact UPS accordingly to pay the bill, and contact UPS separately to explain what's going on. I'm going to send an e-mail of thanks to Yarilie B at UPS, who has responded to each of my increasingly frustrated e-mails, not always with the answer I wanted, but at least with a desire to resolve the issue. I guess with millions of packages in their system the problems of a few hundred non-US Dead subscribers is small fry, but it got sorted in the end. For Dr Rhino, I also give thanks, but on the basis that it looks as though the problem started at that end, I worry about future deliveries, including the big Woodstock thing in respect of which I've still heard nothing following the e-mail saying the release date had been delayed to 09.08. Others have clearly received their copies - so other forums suggest - but as I say, I've heard not a thing since 29.07.

I should add that aside from the DaP31 jiffybag being careworn, the enclosed CD digipack and booklet had been similarly buffeted about a bit. Numbered edition for those who are interested (14949 of 20000). I'm playing it as I type this, and it sounds o.k. to me, although I always think Brent's 'rinky dink' electric piano thing - whatever it was - dates the sound, and I've never liked it. Better when he's playing the B3!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I really think that now is the time to consider a download option for Dave’s Picks. How difficult could it be? Add some snazzy features, some printable labels and cover art and a PDF of the booklet and you’d get a product not far removed from a CD package. Sure, I’d much rather have the CD, but if it means I could avoid the hassle we’ve all had this side of the pond, I’m in! It’d also solve the perennial problem of the picks being sold out for those unable to buy a subscription.

Very good question Frank Parry, how difficult could it be?

How difficult could it be to produce a triple cd in a digipack case, place it in secure, fully protective packaging and mail it, so that purchasers located on other continents could receive it reasonably promptly without having to pay a highly inflated charge for a service, namely delivery, that they’ve already paid for? Not very, I would have thought.

Having been collected by UPS last Friday, as of this afternoon my Dave’s Picks 31 subscription is once again sitting at my UPS collection point, no more than 150 yards up the road, waiting for collection, provided that I pay the required fee to release it. I feel I’ve been pretty patient for nearly three weeks now, but the reality is that this is a complete shambles that seems to be being dealt with in an equally shambolic fashion.

I’ve lost count of what I’ve spent at Dead.net over the last 20+ years, but it must run into several thousand pounds. Yet right now It feels as though they’re more interested in getting the next £150 out of me than they are in supplying what I paid for last December.

How difficult could it be? Seemingly more difficult than anyone could reasonably imagine!

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

UPS have just sent me an update on my DP31 parcel.

‘The package was abandoned by both the receiver and sender. It will be disposed of or sent to UPS lost and found.’

At least it’s carbon imprint will not get any worse with yet another Atlantic crossing. However my new parcel will have to fly once more.
Rhino the environmental friendly company !

So sorry Days Between and Smyler - let’s hope you get some progress real soon. I likewise must have spent a thousand or more with all the Dicks and Dave’s Picks, Road Trips, most of the boxes and much else besides, but am worried about the way things are going. I’ll wait to see what happens with DP32 and the new box set before committing for next year.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years

50 years ago, Grateful Dead play Woodstock
39 years ago, Grateful Dead play Mississippi River Festival
People were groovy, it rained bunches, there was mud.

So after much grumping I finally spoke to someone at UPS billing, rather than customer service, and they finally accepted the Rhino email acknowledging payment. UPS say the only way they can resolve it is by individuals contacting billing & asking them to revert the invoice to Rhino, they will then flag the package as invoice paid & deliver it.
So I was meant to get delivery yesterday, except they sent it to the pick up point, not my address & the electronic system still shows it as invoice outstanding, so the pick up point guy refused to take delivery. It is now back at the UPS depot & after a further 2 phone calls I'm told its going to my home address on Monday...

Kafka couldn't have done it better.

Now that's a word we all need to bring back.
I love this word, groovy.

Everything's groovy, baby.

HappY Friday DeadFreaks
Sixtus

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years

In reply to by Sixtus_

DaP31 arrived today while I was at work and the UPS delivery man asked my wife for an £80 delivery charge (an increase of £7 in a couple of weeks). She told UPS man that she wasn't paying, and the delivery man went back to the van with my Pick and made a phone call, 5 minutes later he returned to the front door with my pick and said it's yours if you sign for it, the costs have been covered. Hopefully, everyone else on this board and who have been waiting has got theirs today, or very soon.
Looking forward to listening to this after my weekend work commitments. Speaking of musical mud anniversaries, there is outdoor weekend music show Beautiful Days a few miles up the road from me, it has been raining here all day I imagine there will be several mudslides (of the fun type) I remember the mudslides on the Woodstock movie with lots of clanking of pots and pans.
PS, for the anoraks out there my number was 15305.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 5 months

In reply to by Sydney Prentice

Sad to hear things are still not sorted for everybody. My DP31 arrived on Tuesday, while I was on a short MTB break in the Peak District. But it only arrived after I e-mailed some senior UPS staff to get things moving, as I was finding finding the rather unhelpful UK/Irl UPS attitude stressing me out. I have now loaded it onto my phone so I can listen on the move.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

My fears for this one were completely unfounded. Despite various messages on other forums suggesting a postal '**ck up' not dissimilar to what happened with DaP31, the 'Russian Faberge Egg' arrived safely yesterday in my absence. After peeling away two outer layers of packaging, there was a lovely, branded inner cardboard box containing an even lovelier box set itself. So, if you're a UK buyer, this message is simply to suggest that things may a bit easier with this one... .
....and whilst you're waiting, listen to the whole thing on the WXPN, played in real time. Country Joe and the Fish are due 'on stage' at about 11.30pm BST, followed by Ten Years After, The Band, Johnny Winter, etc. And between sets, while we're waiting for the stage guys to set up for the next set, fifty years ago, much 'groovy' - if I can use that word - other music from 1969. As I type, Pharoah Sanders, "The Creator has a Masterplan": must get this LP out again!

Very happy yours has arrived, gives me a little faith, as after 4 e-mails & a phone call to customer support at Dead net, I'm at this point:
IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING YOUR ORDER
We do not currently have an exact estimate as to when your order will ship.
Until you receive your shipping confirmation email, we will not have any further updates on the status of your order.
If you decide that you would prefer to cancel your order, please let us know and we will put in a request with our warehouse to do so.
We have not forgotten about you or your order, however, we have been advised that inventory is still being checked in to our new warehouse.
Nevertheless, we have been advised that orders are in fact shipping out and that your order will be shipped as soon as possible.
We do understand how frustrating this is for you and we greatly appreciate your patience thus far.
If you would rather wait for your order to ship, you will receive a shipping confirmation email as soon as your order is processed.
We again apologize for the delay and inconvenience.
Thank you for your continued patience.

And still waiting for DaP31

What a long strange trip my battered package has been on but at the fifth visit to my front door and without so much as a waft of a payment card machine my DP31 has finally been pushed through my letter box!
Hope everyone else gets sorted too as I had given up despite multiple emails to both sender and UPS
The music is playing now and is well worth the wait.
Just hope they get it right for the next batch.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

4 years 8 months

Thanks to BillN for the advice to speak to UPS's billing department instead of customer services, which was proving to be pretty useless.

This worked immediately when I got through to the right department - and once that department had then reverted the invoice payment responsibility to Rhino, it explained the situation to the tracking department, then put me through to the tracking department, which was very responsive and actually made the effort to telephone me back several times with each development in unlocking delivery. So after two weeks of extreme frustration, Dave's Picks 31 has finally made it through to me with no more demands for £73.92.

I initially phoned 0345 1610016 (the contact number on the UK billing webpage). This wasn't the right billing number, but the person there immediately knew about the problem with these DP31 shipments, and put me through to the right number, from where resolution was achieved.

user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

in my mailbox. UPS informed me two weeks ago that the package was returned to Rhino - according to tracking info, it never even made it out of the States. I've sent a couple emails to Rhino since then, but no response. Apparently Rhino has my package, so it's totally their responsibility at this point. And I'm in Canada - never had to pay import taxes or anything on a previous Dave's. This is getting absurd.

user picture

Member for

5 years 5 months

I'm an American in China. I'm relatively new to the Dead scene (only past 2 years or so), last year I wanted to show my support for the Dead's legacy and bought the Dave's Picks Subscription.

It's been an absolute nightmare.

#29 never showed up. At all. I've had 10 email exchanges and multiple calls with dead.net and the WMG people. They always say it's on the way.

#30 oddly showed up without incident 7 days after I got the email that said it was shipped

#31..... on top of the UPS issues everyone is facing (and try explaining this whole subscription thing 99.99 vs 24.99 to Chinese Customs bureaucrats)... right after #30 showed up I tried changing my address MULTIPLE times through the appropriate channels. All to no avail. As of right now, my #31 disc is sitting at a UPS collection point in the city I've newly moved to ... but they say they can only ship it onward to the one I was at previously (mind you I've been trying to change this shipping address since at least April or May).

For an organization that's been around as long as they have - I am astounded at the lack of professionalism displayed by dead.net

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by ChinaMattSunflower

It's hard not to see your points, ChinaMatt. Ouch.. and missing #29, double ouch. Ultimately these things end up with Dr. Rhino.. email him or PM MaryE here. One way or another.. you have to get your hands on #29. Don't give up.

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

In reply to by JimInMD

... I havebrand new copy’s of Daves Picks #’s 2627,28,29,30,31 ifanyone is lookingfoe or in need, please just let me know, I hope I can help anyone in need. 🙏❤️💀

user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

That is a huge bummer. This is really my first major problem with them - apart from some stupid UPS delays for PNW - so I can't complain too much. Since you're newer, and if you aren't already familiar, you may want to check out nugs.net. You can download older releases - which would help with the hassle of mailing and customs. Doesn't help with Dave's releases, but could at least find a few key Dick's that you may be missing out on.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

This ain't right. Send me a PM.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I received a reply to my mail to UPS. This mail, the second I have received, reiterated what the first had said, namely that the sender has to contact their local UPS. I imagine this is the first thing Rhino did but I don't know for sure. Meanwhile the UPS tracking site still shows a freight charge of €81.88 to pay. It says that my packet is still at the local UPS Access Point and will be there until August 19. That is rather contradictory as the 19th is now part of history. Two more days of insction and I can mail Rhino and ask them to send me a replacement, to be shipped by DHL.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by simonrob

Hi Simonrob,
same here for me in the northern part of Germany.
I will wait till next Friday and then contact Dr. Rhino for
a replacement.
Gar-see-ya
JJ

I have had so many problems with Rhino in the last few weeks from my credit card compromised, Dave’s Picks Vol. 31 subscription not shipping(still don’t have it in the USA), to signature required for a T-shirt order. I was starting to think that all the problems, not just mine, were due to a computer hack. You never know.

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

, believe thenext Pick in the series will be another year not yet represented in the Daves Picks collection! 🙏❤️😎

user picture

Member for

5 years 5 months

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for the welcoming support. I always knew the community here would be kind to new comers.

I'm at the point where I've gotten the address changed (had to call UPS in the USA). Now, I just need to deal with the Customs bill issue.

Marye - I'll PM you shortly.

Thanks Everyone!
China-Matt
P.S. Any Heads in China that want to get together, please PM me!

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

... it’s not 1967, I would love for it to be from 1967 and 1968 as well , more Pigpen please! 🙏❤️🤠

...a non- circulating performance & source ! 😏
If I remember correctly Dave hinted at it in one of his many sea side chats. 😉
Also no filler material for 32

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I have talked to both UPS customer service and billing. Customer service were hopeless, but billing did seem to know exactly what I was talking about. I have also had an exchange of mails wherein it was obvious that they did know what I was talking about and who the sender was. Their claim was that Warners/Rhino should contact their local UPS office and sort it out. I passed these mails on to Rhino, but all to no avail. I have heard nothing back from Rhino recently and the UPS website doesn't appear to have changed in the last 12 days. Today (23rd) is the day when I can mail Rhino and ask them to send me a replacement, which I will do as soon as I get home from work.

user picture

Member for

5 years 11 months

To date I’ve had no UPs demands or attempted delivery’s and only an e.mail from dead net to say that my copy was on the way . They might as well hang on to it and double it up with no 32 🙀🤯 . As I’m not buying the giants box I was going to treat myself to the July 78 box but at this rate I’ll get it in time for it’s 50th anniversary .

user picture

Member for

5 years 11 months

Surely time for a European delivery depot .

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

The upside down photo reminds me of Passenger- “upside out , inside down!”...

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Am still waiting in the southwest for Dave’s 31, and I’ve subscribed since the 1st year.
If that’s any consolation for others who are waiting or getting some kind of CD tariffs n Europe. I hear in a couple weeks now for delivery of 31.
May there be order , efficiency , and serenity at the mysterious warehouse somewhere in Illinois .

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-31-1.html