• 1,184 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Hold on to your hat, we're coming in strong with one from the Windy City that'll have you movin' and shakin' from start to finish. DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 signals a true rebirth of the Grateful Dead, reimagining classics and foreshadowing their 80s sound. This is as much in part due to freshly-minted member Brent Mydland bringing the organ back in as it is to Jerry finding new vivacity with his custom Wolf guitar. New guy, new guitar - it all makes for a heck of a good time!

Set One rolls like never-ending thunder with one standout after another - truly epic versions of "Brown-Eyed Women," "Ramble On Rose," "It's All Over Now," "Althea," and "The Music Never Stopped." Set Two hits with a crack of not-so-lazy lightning, barreling through an outrageous 28-minute "Scarlet>Fire" to a unique “Lost Sailor>Saint of Circumstance” and wrapping with a "blow the roof off the place" version of "Truckin'" and a rippin' "Johnny B. Goode." Ready for some quiet after the storm? You'll have to wait a just a little bit longer - we've filled in the gap on Disc 3 with a sprinkle of 12/4/79 - "Estimated>Franklin's Tower>" and an incredibly improvised “Jam.”

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 has been mastered from Dan Healy's cassette recordings to HDCD specs by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • rambly
    Default Avatar

Hello Marye
    Hoping you can point me in the right direction on this. I live in Canada and received a shipping invoice related to DaP 31. I emailed Dr. Rhino 3 times in August but no answer. UPS told me it was resolved when I called them in September, but then I just received a collection notice. I've emailed UPS again and Dr. Rhino again, but anything you can do to help would be gratefully appreciated! Thank you!

• fourwindsblow

Not a bad show the band really gets going by wharf rat which is typical for a first night of a three night run.

• wissinomingdeadhead
    Default Avatar

Anticipating the announcement for Daves Picks 2020 subscriptions any day now it usually coincides with the Grateful Dead Almamac. Better warn the wife to have her cc ready since the second year this is my Christmas present from her, she hates it because she doesn't have to go shopping for it. I know the 2020 calendar is available for sale Michael DuBois is the artist for next years calendar. All I can say BIO & PD
    BRING IT ON
    PLAY DEAD

• outpost

Just seen it along with the cover art on Ebay !

• alvarhanso

Makes me think Rex tape on 10 inch reels like 4/2/73. But Betty or Rex or Kidd doesn't make any difference to me. Looks to be a very good show on the back end of a very good tour.

• Lovemygirl

Source

• unkle sam

Trucking>Jam>Spanish Jam then the shortest dark star ever less than 4 minutes. DaP 32 is going to be a sweet one, can't wait to hear how they are going to clean up that Bertha start and some of those tape flips. Good luck Mr. Norman. Do a good job, take your time, we will all appreciate it.

• cub
    Default Avatar

As I am listening to a soundboard recording of 3.24.73 at https://archive.org/details/deadhead
    There are two Betty Boards listed. The 2nd listing has the complete show with 5134 views
    Bertha
    Beat It On Down
    Don't Ease Me In
    The Race Is On
    Cumberland Blues
    Box Of Rain
    Row Jimmy
    Jack Straw
    They Love Each Other
    Mexicali Blues
    Tennessee Jed
    Looks Like Rain
    Wave That Flag
    El Paso
    Here Comes Sunshine
    Me and Bobby McGee
    Loser
    Playing In The Band
    (set break)
    tuning
    Promised Land
    China Cat Sunflower
    I Know You Rider
    Big River
    Stella Blue
    Me and My Uncle
    He's Gone
    Truckin'
    Dark Star
    Sing Me Back Home
    Sugar Magnolia
    Johnny B. Goode

Wow 31 tracks, Thank you

• alvarhanso

Could be either one. Rex taped 4/2/73 DaP 21 (one of, if not the best sounding tapes in the Series), and a lot of his tapes were in Betty's collection as they were married. I think Kidd taped 3/28/73 DaP 16. Guess we'll find out in 3 weeks. Looking forward to this one, and love the artwork!

• Mytime
    Default Avatar

this one

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

Hold on to your hat, we're coming in strong with one from the Windy City that'll have you movin' and shakin' from start to finish. DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 signals a true rebirth of the Grateful Dead, reimagining classics and foreshadowing their 80s sound. This is as much in part due to freshly-minted member Brent Mydland bringing the organ back in as it is to Jerry finding new vivacity with his custom Wolf guitar. New guy, new guitar - it all makes for a heck of a good time!

Set One rolls like never-ending thunder with one standout after another - truly epic versions of "Brown-Eyed Women," "Ramble On Rose," "It's All Over Now," "Althea," and "The Music Never Stopped." Set Two hits with a crack of not-so-lazy lightning, barreling through an outrageous 28-minute "Scarlet>Fire" to a unique “Lost Sailor>Saint of Circumstance” and wrapping with a "blow the roof off the place" version of "Truckin'" and a rippin' "Johnny B. Goode." Ready for some quiet after the storm? You'll have to wait a just a little bit longer - we've filled in the gap on Disc 3 with a sprinkle of 12/4/79 - "Estimated>Franklin's Tower>" and an incredibly improvised “Jam.”

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 has been mastered from Dan Healy's cassette recordings to HDCD specs by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 7 months

I’ve just spoken to UPS who said that have had no info from dead.net whatsoever and the package will be returned to sender after 10 days

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by dtuck90

I’ve just had the following update from UPS:

The status of your package has changed.
Exception Reason: The apartment number is either missing or incorrect. This may delay delivery. We're attempting to update the address.
Exception Resolution: Delivery will be rescheduled.
At the request of Anonymous, this notice alerts you that the status of the shipment listed below has changed.

Since they have attempted delivery three time I don’t see how they think they had the wrong address!
The website still demands £73.92 before it will be released. Let’s hope that changes as well.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 2 months

Just found a note from ups in my mail box: they want 81.88 Euros, that is about 85 US Dollars, just for delivery costs.
feels like I am in the totally wrong picture, a very strange and crazy one.
looks like nothing has been fixed yet.
somebody has to do something. please marye, perhaps you can help us. dr. rhino must have failed.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Please let us know when this is ironed out! I have mine, but I'm still waiting to open it until everyone has theirs!

By the way, I have sealed copies of a few DaP's and various other releases and would entertain trade offers. I am looking for mainly Jerry releases, especially Bay Area and Keane College.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

I wonder if someone checked the wrong box on the shipping slip? Or if it was left blank and the UPS default is Next Day or something weird? This sounds like something that might one day have to be litigated.. a snafu on a grand scale to be sure...

Looking at the market, this link seemed appropriate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSTxdmaH2Q4

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 2 months

Greetings Fellow Heads,

Just want to chime in that I have been enjoying Dave's 31 so far. The first set is smoking in my opinion and the second set has some nice moments as well. I have enjoyed the Terrapin, Playin and Wharf Rat. The filler is also really nice and glad they included that. All Over Now had my kids up and dancing which is always fun.
I've always enjoyed shows from Fall 79.

I'm glad we're getting some shows from the Brent era. Brents organ playing added so much to their sound. Nice to hear on this show.

I hope folks here caught the movie last week. I was blown away by the show and the recording. Awesome musical vibe in that show. Really moving to see Jerry and the band playing at that level in the 90s - the era when I was able to see them. I really enjoyed the meet up. "Make America Grateful Again"

My request for Dave's Picks - A Shakedown Street. We are 31 picks into the series and no Shakedown.
Used to be the heart of the town Dave!

Another great year of music here for me. Excellent picks in the series this year. 77 pick is an all timer and the 70 pick has tons of great music. I will be subscribing again.

Listen loud!!

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Same for me today. UPS wants me to pay EUR 81,18 for shipping, taxes etc.
Mailed DrRhino last Friday regarding the additional costs and got an answer
that they needed 5 days to come back to me due to huge requests.
Think DrRhino will sort this out during this week so all of us Euroheads will
get their copy without paying extra costs.
By the way: DP30 arrived 3 days after release date with UPS and no extra costs.
Feels the post service is like a setlist in the good old day: Never played the same
setlist twice and you don't know what song coming next.
Ups: No robot today

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years

UPS brought my copy of Dave's Pick 31 today here in York, in the UK, and asked for £73.00.
I refused so the package is back with them.

Clearly Rhino and Deadnet are far from getting this sorted.

Faulty discs on DP 30, now this, doubt very much whether I'll be renewing my subscription this year.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 5 months

In reply to by Billy de Lyon

I don't think anyone wants to sort out getting the European DP31 Delivered. Is everyone on holiday?

Tried phone calls. e-mails and tweets.

Looking at the thread there is a common problem.

Don't UPS and Rhino have any goodwill?

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

That's a kind gesture. I am sure I am speaking for all European Deadheads, though, who haven't received Dave's Picks 31 yet, when I say I would be more happy if you played the copy you have, and brought back the good news from the other side. Or bad, as the case may be. Someone somewhere is always listening to The Dead.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Listened a second time to DaP 31 and this time I was less impressed by the first set, but it had its own groove. The rest of the performance I still feel is spotty, without its own groove. Not quite as sloppy as my first listen (the music, that is) but a better Jer showing than I heard first go 'round. It goes on the shelf, doubt I'll listen again.

As stated previously, if 3 of 4 annual Picks are solid, I'm okay with the third pick being kinda lame. Though that sort of pattern -- a plan for sub-par show releases -- is not encouraging.

Dave -- I think the plan for 20 more years of DaPs is too ambitious. Why not scale it back to 10 years? Between the DaP series and boxes, that's another 100 shows!

In citing other very hot '79 shows, I'd note that 8-12-79 (Red Rocks) is in the vault, as Estimated from that show was offered on So Many Roads. The next night, though at McNichols Arena due to rain, was also very hot. (Monster opening Shakedown.) With the July '78 Red Rocks shows out and the August '78 Red Rocks shows largely a bust -- they had been recording, not performing -- there's only 8-12-79 for screaming shows from Red Rocks. The '80s at the Rocks had their moments, but the tapes may not hold up soundwise.

So... how's about an 8-12-79 Red Rocks in the DaPs next year??? Talkin' to you, Dave.

Please and thanks!

If you made it this far, I turn 62 in two weeks, and my first show was 9-19-72.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Well, one of the two copies was delivered to my address in Nottingham while I was away but the other is being held in their warehouse. No reason given or request for payment - I supposedly paid for both copies but my credit card has not been charged. Go figure! I said to a friend that I wouldn’t be buying the new box and he just laughed. He obviously knows me better than I do myself as an hour or so later there I was typing out my order. My better judgement goes out the window.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Does that count? :-)

I can't feel good enjoying it when someone is being deprived of it arbitrarily. You are tempting me though! :-)

When I start to hear reports of them landing to overseas customers, I will open my copy 1 of 2.

Question is, should I open the low number one or the high number one? :-)

P.S. Thanks, Dennis :-)

P.S.S. Still open to kind trades...

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

is indeed hard at work on this exceedingly not just exactly perfect issue.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by marye

Marye

Glad to hear it. Could the dr take the time to post an update of what they are doing? A timescale would be good. I don’t mind if my cd has to be repatriated to the US as long as it is then sent back to me. It’s the lack of information that is unacceptable.

God forbid they start putting tariffs on GD music, might start a revolution. Let's hope it never comes to that. :D

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Yes, 2nd has arrived no charges. I got a miracle. Now just the small matter of listening to it.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by frankparry

UPS have just delivered my copy. Envelope show C.O.D. paid in a hand written note. I hope everyone else in Europe will see theirs soon.
It is actually numbered #8360. Now all I need to do is listen to it!
Thanks for sorting the problem. Try to learn from it and really try to communicate better.
And so to the CD player.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Colin Gould

Just had notification UPS have made their final attempt to deliver. (I thought they were supposed to make 3 attempts??)

Great news that people have had theirs just sad I’m stuck now

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 1 month

Well, I finally got my demand from UPS, 1030 Swedish kronor.
Daves still not here, it was held up in Kentucky, like others here, awaiting missing commercial invoice. Was then told it would be delivered yesterday,all day it was shown on its way to me, then it was stopped(?), and is languishing in a UPS facility/ warehouse. The nice lady at UPS says she has frozen the invoice and turned the payment demand back to sender(?) Hmmm, we will see.
One thing is for sure, IF it turns up, I am not opening it till I am sure that its sorted, I am not paying, and would rather it returned to Rhino, but the fact that some of you others seem to be getting thiers gives me some hope....all this for a Daves, from an era that I dont even like!
It would be interesting to know, but is of course unknowable, how this has impacted pre orders for the new box set.

user picture

Member for

4 years 8 months

UPS tried to deliver to me this morning (in Scotland), but were still demanding the £72+ shipping charge. I ain’t paying, so it’s gone away again....I have just emailed Dr Rhino for the fourth time. Not happy....

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

Lucky anyone in the UK who has this. Following the tracking on this today I found that UPS had sent it to the UK where it was received but then returned it to Louisville, Kentucky because there was a problem with the invoice?????? It is I see still there
Delivery to my address was never tried, and I notice there are freight (not duty)charges of £78.32 to pay (GBP).
What is going on, I have already paid for freight on order.

Its out for delivery today. But I have just checked tracking and I am still expected to pay £73 plus. I have phoned UPS and explained that the shipper will meet the charges. They told me they have had no notification from them, and that unless they do, or I pay up on delivery, then they will not give me the cds.

So dear Dr Rhino...please make that call!

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

Well, It seems some people have at least received correspondence from deliverers (good or bad). However HERE in the wilds of North Yorkshire, I await in non-blissful ignorance. Just the e-mail from Dr Rhino to say all has been taken care of. However it appears that is a long way from the reality of the situation. Here's hoping the resolution is quick and painless.

As I said earlier, mine has arrived. UPS showed a charge up to the moment of delivery. I have had no contact from DrRhino since 31st July. We are out gardening between the rain showers so I haven’t played it yet. Hope everyone gets theirs soon.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 7 months

Just out of interest does your tracking say delivered?

I’m just thinking mine actually might be at home and couldn’t be marked as delivered because the charge was still showing as pending.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by dtuck90

DTUCK90

I’ve just checked. UPS tracking tells me it has been delivered.

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

UPS have just tried to deliver the Dave's Picks Vol.31 package and asked for £73 + for import duties ; which I refused to pay . So UPS now have "my copy" until further notice or whenever this problem is resolved ??
Anybody received any info or assistance from anybody who should know better ????

from Jon in the NW of England

Same here, UPS have just knocked on my door with the package and asked for £73.00. I explained why I wasn't paying it and he took it away again. He said he would probably be back tomorrow and again the day after-and if I didn't pay or the matter wasn't resolved, then it would be returned to sender.

My email to Dr Rhino was met with a standar reply saying he would be back to me within 5 working days. So not good.

I received my copy of Dave's Pick's Vol 31 on the1st August but paid the £73.92 requested from UPS as I didn't want the risk of the package getting damaged by continually being taken away if I didn't pay.
I have emailed Dr Rhino with the order number & tracking number but the automatic email reply says he needs 5 working days to get back to me. Has anyone else paid the UPS charge & are now trying to get their money back?

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 1 month

In reply to by Carry On Grate…

UPS tried to deliver mine twice - 31st July and 1st August - both times asking for the £73.92 to be paid. Explained to them that Rhino had said in an email to me on 30th July that they would pay the outstanding charge.
However as of today (6th August) they have not, so my copy is being held in the UPS Dundee warehouse with the tracking message saying "Your package will be held at a warehouse until it is released by the clearance agency." Getting a daily e-mail & SMS from UPS saying the same thing.
I e-mailed Dr Rhino a couple of days ago asking when I could expect the payment to be made but have had no response as yet.
All very frustrating, especially after Vol 30 was sent by the same method and arriving with me from Louisville KY less than 3 days later with no extra charges.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I just spoke to UPS who said they are aware of the general problem. The shipper made a mistake and only paid for the shipment to a certain point, so UPS are trying to recover from us unpaid shipping charges. UPS says the sender is fixing the issue and paying the bill, whereupon credit notes will be issued aganst the invoices we have recveived and presumably those who have paid will be reimbursed. I have managed to get a case number with the billing department to follow up, but getting this far with UPS has taken a long time. Just like the old days when just about every Dead Net order was a screw up. I'm still in a good mood though after a great weekend at the UK Summer of Love Party and great performances by the Grateful Dudes, Barry Melton, Here and Now, Crooked Weather and many more. CB.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 7 months

Just got off the phone to UPS who said now they’ve made their final delivery attempt they send a notification to the shipper asking what should happen to the package now i.e. should it be delivered or returned to sender. They said if they don’t hear off the shipper within 10 calendar days then the package will be “abandoned” which I’m assuming means it will be destroyed

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by cosmicbadger

I remember seeing them several times, they used to have free entry to their gigs and then ask for donations to keep them on the road. I think they played with Daevid Allan on the Floating Anarchy tour, we saw it in Liverpool University and got DA to sign the album that we had bought that day. He signed it Divided Alien! I remember them at Eric’s club. This is probably around ‘78 or ‘79 iirc.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

re: ..."then the package will be “abandoned” which I’m assuming means it will be destroyed" ...

Careful with your verbiage there fellow!.... I think you are beginning to frighten some of us!

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

what a clusterfu*k, so sorry all you deadheads across the pond, now, if Rhino or deadnet would at least acknowledge the fact that they screwed up, that would be something, but nothing, nada, zip from them, why?
Ooooh Barry Melton, bet that was cool, did he do any old Fish tunes? How's he looking these days. Always loved his guitar work.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

I saw Here and Now with Daevid Allen on that Floating Anarchy tour too. I saw them at Huddersfield Polytechnic. In fact I have still got the magazine they gave out on the night, full of anti establishment polemic, cartoons and assertions that hippies and punks were actually one and the same. I also remember seeing them at the Deeply Vale Free festival in either 1976 or 1977.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

If you don't know about the UK Summer of Love Party then maybe you should. Here and Now were brilliant on Saturday evening. Barry Melton comes most years to our party; he is recovering from a nasty back injury and does not move around so well, but he played an acoustic set with Stephan Misri including Mojo Navigator from the Fish days and played some Dinosaurs numbers with the Green Ray. UK Dead Tribute Band the Grateful Dudes were outstanding on Saturday night. If you want to come next year let me know.

Hope they get this sorted out. Maybe offer you guys free Int'l shipping for either the Giant Box or next year's DaP Subscription for all the pain and suffering.

If this is happening for other WMG shipments, I wonder what the shipping charge is for the Big 'Ole Woodstock 50th complete recordings boxset...

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by dtuck90

If they had any sense they would ‘abandon’ it at your front door.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by daverock

Per your suggestions I checked out a few live songs on YouTube.
Reminded me of Traffic.
I can see why the jazz crowd might not like Soft Machine.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Having received an assurance from UPS Customer Service last Friday that my package would be delivered Monday and that I wouldn't have to pay anything, I was somewhat disappointed that nobody was home when they tried to deliver it and a small form was posted in my mailbox which stated that I could collect it from my local UPS Access Point on payment of EUR 81.88. Another long call to UPS Customer Service ended with me being told that the invoice that I had received last Friday would be sent the the sender (Rhino) and that I could collect the package without having to pay anything. Of course, when I tried to collect it today, the EUR 81.88 freight charge remained and if I wanted my package I would have to pay. The first thing that I can take from this is that UPS Customer Service are a bunch of bullshitters who probably told me what I wanted to hear just to get me off the line. The second thing is the folks at Rhino / WMG do not seem to making much, if any, progress in sorting this out. It is now a week since I received the last mail from WMG Customer Service which included the following: "I am currently awaiting confirmation from our warehouse contact that your delivery fee has been paid. As soon as I receive this confirmation, I will send you an update." Since then the silence has been deafening. Totally pissed off with Rhino, WMG & UPS. This is not normal.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by daverock

DAVEROCK
Was the ‘zine ‘Sniffing Flowers? We’ve got a copy somewhere in the house but I don’t remember where we got it. Obviously, they borrowed the name from the punkzine ‘Sniffing Glue’.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

Two or three delivery dates seem to have passed, but in so far as I'm aware - I'm at work, but 21 year old daughter is home from University - UPS have not actually knocked at my door. I'm guessing this is because I've neither signed for the delivery, or paid the invoice, which in so far as they are concerned is still outstanding.

In all honesty, I'm getting past the point where I'm too bothered about it. If it's not resolved, I'll simply ask Dr Rhino for a refund of my subscription, and get on with the rest of my listening life, which includes a belated purchase of the King Crimson '80's 'On and Off The Road' box - 11 CDs, 3 DVD-As, and 3 Blue Rays for slightly over a ton. A bargain compared to the £73.92 postage invoice for DaP31, and you can't listen to an invoice!!!

With any luck, there'll be no issue with the big Woodstock thing which I've sprung for. Ordered it from Rhino UK, paid UK postage, etc., so assume it will be distributed from a UK address.

The Crimson and Woodstock things will, in part, keep me from buying the Giants Stadium box. Choices have to be made, and given I favour the Dead pre-1978 anyway, I'll be passing. The UPS issue also has to be a factor for me. Genuinely, however, happy for all those whose preference is the later eras, and who have been hoping for this sort of release to come along.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

No, the magazine was actually called "Planet Gong", with "Being Not Fer Sale But A Bit More Verbal" typed underneath. I've got it here in front of me-there are all sorts of cartoons on the front related to Gong's mythology. On the back is the Octave Doctors Manifesto, which promotes floating anarchy over existing social systems which are characterised as opium societies. It quite a period piece!

The eagerly anticipated ( by me) Love From The Planet Gong box set is due out in September-a lavish looking set focussing on 1973-75.

As for this Dave's Picks-what a travesty. I can't believe that it is still not sorted out. It can't be rocket science. I can't imagine any progress will be made in the next few days, so I guess the copy with my name on will be returned Stateside, as I am not paying anything to UPS. After that-who knows/

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by daverock

Yes, I’ve just found our copy of Planet Gong. Sniffing Flowers appears to have existed for at least two issues focussing on Steve Hillage, another great guitarist, and Hawkwind. An official Gong boxset would be fantastic.
I was looking at my UPS tracking which was saying that there was money to pay and that the package was in transit. I assumed it was heading back to the US when the van pulled up outside and they handed it over. I can only hope that it gets sorted out for everyone soon. DrRhino still hasn’t been in touch to tell me anything. They really need to work on logistics and communication.

Cosmicbadger-thank you, I would be interested to know more about this event if its runs next year.

Regarding Steve Hillage, Gong and Hawkwind-all three are playing in London this autumn. It sees a bit strange naming a band Gong when they only recorded one album with Daevid Allen and Gilli Smyth. But they apparently had Monsieur Aliens blessing. They were Steve Hillage's backing band earlier this year-and they were really good. I believe they are backing him again in autumn, plus playing a set themselves before Steve comes on. Sounds unmissable !

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by daverock

DAVEROCK

We went to the 3rd Festival for mInd, body and spirit at Earls Court (found the programme looking for the magazines) where Rainbow Dome Music by Steve Hillage was being played on a repeating loop inside a pyramid tent! He came in to the tent while we were listening. We have seen him live several times over the years, always enjoyable.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-31-1.html