• 1,184 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Hold on to your hat, we're coming in strong with one from the Windy City that'll have you movin' and shakin' from start to finish. DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 signals a true rebirth of the Grateful Dead, reimagining classics and foreshadowing their 80s sound. This is as much in part due to freshly-minted member Brent Mydland bringing the organ back in as it is to Jerry finding new vivacity with his custom Wolf guitar. New guy, new guitar - it all makes for a heck of a good time!

Set One rolls like never-ending thunder with one standout after another - truly epic versions of "Brown-Eyed Women," "Ramble On Rose," "It's All Over Now," "Althea," and "The Music Never Stopped." Set Two hits with a crack of not-so-lazy lightning, barreling through an outrageous 28-minute "Scarlet>Fire" to a unique “Lost Sailor>Saint of Circumstance” and wrapping with a "blow the roof off the place" version of "Truckin'" and a rippin' "Johnny B. Goode." Ready for some quiet after the storm? You'll have to wait a just a little bit longer - we've filled in the gap on Disc 3 with a sprinkle of 12/4/79 - "Estimated>Franklin's Tower>" and an incredibly improvised “Jam.”

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 has been mastered from Dan Healy's cassette recordings to HDCD specs by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • rambly
    Default Avatar

Hello Marye
    Hoping you can point me in the right direction on this. I live in Canada and received a shipping invoice related to DaP 31. I emailed Dr. Rhino 3 times in August but no answer. UPS told me it was resolved when I called them in September, but then I just received a collection notice. I've emailed UPS again and Dr. Rhino again, but anything you can do to help would be gratefully appreciated! Thank you!

• fourwindsblow

Not a bad show the band really gets going by wharf rat which is typical for a first night of a three night run.

• wissinomingdeadhead
    Default Avatar

Anticipating the announcement for Daves Picks 2020 subscriptions any day now it usually coincides with the Grateful Dead Almamac. Better warn the wife to have her cc ready since the second year this is my Christmas present from her, she hates it because she doesn't have to go shopping for it. I know the 2020 calendar is available for sale Michael DuBois is the artist for next years calendar. All I can say BIO & PD
    BRING IT ON
    PLAY DEAD

• outpost

Just seen it along with the cover art on Ebay !

• alvarhanso

Makes me think Rex tape on 10 inch reels like 4/2/73. But Betty or Rex or Kidd doesn't make any difference to me. Looks to be a very good show on the back end of a very good tour.

• Lovemygirl

Source

• unkle sam

Trucking>Jam>Spanish Jam then the shortest dark star ever less than 4 minutes. DaP 32 is going to be a sweet one, can't wait to hear how they are going to clean up that Bertha start and some of those tape flips. Good luck Mr. Norman. Do a good job, take your time, we will all appreciate it.

• cub
    Default Avatar

As I am listening to a soundboard recording of 3.24.73 at https://archive.org/details/deadhead
    There are two Betty Boards listed. The 2nd listing has the complete show with 5134 views
    Bertha
    Beat It On Down
    Don't Ease Me In
    The Race Is On
    Cumberland Blues
    Box Of Rain
    Row Jimmy
    Jack Straw
    They Love Each Other
    Mexicali Blues
    Tennessee Jed
    Looks Like Rain
    Wave That Flag
    El Paso
    Here Comes Sunshine
    Me and Bobby McGee
    Loser
    Playing In The Band
    (set break)
    tuning
    Promised Land
    China Cat Sunflower
    I Know You Rider
    Big River
    Stella Blue
    Me and My Uncle
    He's Gone
    Truckin'
    Dark Star
    Sing Me Back Home
    Sugar Magnolia
    Johnny B. Goode

Wow 31 tracks, Thank you

• alvarhanso

Could be either one. Rex taped 4/2/73 DaP 21 (one of, if not the best sounding tapes in the Series), and a lot of his tapes were in Betty's collection as they were married. I think Kidd taped 3/28/73 DaP 16. Guess we'll find out in 3 weeks. Looking forward to this one, and love the artwork!

• Mytime
    Default Avatar

this one

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

Hold on to your hat, we're coming in strong with one from the Windy City that'll have you movin' and shakin' from start to finish. DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 signals a true rebirth of the Grateful Dead, reimagining classics and foreshadowing their 80s sound. This is as much in part due to freshly-minted member Brent Mydland bringing the organ back in as it is to Jerry finding new vivacity with his custom Wolf guitar. New guy, new guitar - it all makes for a heck of a good time!

Set One rolls like never-ending thunder with one standout after another - truly epic versions of "Brown-Eyed Women," "Ramble On Rose," "It's All Over Now," "Althea," and "The Music Never Stopped." Set Two hits with a crack of not-so-lazy lightning, barreling through an outrageous 28-minute "Scarlet>Fire" to a unique “Lost Sailor>Saint of Circumstance” and wrapping with a "blow the roof off the place" version of "Truckin'" and a rippin' "Johnny B. Goode." Ready for some quiet after the storm? You'll have to wait a just a little bit longer - we've filled in the gap on Disc 3 with a sprinkle of 12/4/79 - "Estimated>Franklin's Tower>" and an incredibly improvised “Jam.”

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 has been mastered from Dan Healy's cassette recordings to HDCD specs by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfy3uJrfVWo

Phil--check your PM . . .

#12,118 hit my Saint Paul, Minnesota mailbox yesterday . . .

DeadVikes--see you at the Riverview tomorrow?

If I were a robot, would I know?

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

I received my DaP 31 last night... "Limited Edition ___________" ????

The other quirky thing I noticed after ripping ... All three discs had Cover Art of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon album cover with Dancing Bears jumping through the Triangle... LOL Anyone else ???

I listened to the 1st set last night (loved it, high energy) and Scarlet/Fire on my drive into work... a patchwork job of Audience mic to SBD but great jamming version.
As always, iGrateful

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

I’ve had the Dr Rhino e-mail so hopefully the disc might be released soon. UPS made the third, and final, attempt to deliver today but as they still wanted paying I sent them away again. I’ll probably order the box set once it is announced and hope the delivery system will work properly.

user picture

Member for

11 years 8 months

Hey Kids!! Anyone have a link to some decent scans of the cover art?

Mahalo!

user picture

Member for

6 years

Musically you can tell that the addition of Brent was a shot of inspiration sonically and there are some great moments - but the overall downer of Jerry's energy on this night is just too much to overcome. I hate to say it - but he seems just too high, a case a the H-flu-bug - his voice has that classic nasal/flu sound he is just in a fog on vocals and guitar, like almost nodding off mid tune foggy. Ill keep supporting DP with my subscriptions but overall this one actually kind of bummed me out in retrospect knowing where Jerry's drug problems were heading

user picture

Member for

8 years

...the shipping issue has been addressed and most importantly has been corrected. Rhino is paying the bill, everyone should be grateful everything is being handled very quickly and there is concern from Rhino, “human Error” problems are far from what’s wanted from the logistics side of all places...it’s just gonna take some time, not much but enough to cause some negative outbursts, which is totally acceptable and human nature. Everyone’s entitled to feel their emotions in their own way. What’s accountable is the action you take after you address your issue at hand...I try my best to stay positive in times like these. One step at a time. “Easier said than done”, As the saying goes...I’m back with Daves Pick #31 in my Audio player. I put an empty soda pop bottle on one of my ‘stage left’ speakers before Disc #2 started. A cupple Of plunks from Phil and the boys and soda pop bottle fell to the floor, under 90 seconds lol, my rug collection covers the floors so no broken glass to worry about in my ‘music room’ plus the bottles are pretty thick for a coke a cola. Lol, old school! What’s to add but once again, this latest release sounds sweet on my system, my room raidiates in vibrations of beauty! Have a grateful day everyone!
Later today I Have the release of “Grateful Dead closing of Winterland” 1978. I wanna take a few steps back from 1979 and review 1978 again which I also have high regards for this era in performing, when it was released it was considered the best quality at the time, and also on 24-track audiotape! Still have a love for this 4Cd release/soundtrack, Full Show & theirs film available if wanted, which to me is always a plus in my book! The CD Set sound better to me than the DVDs, the last time I heard them, lol ha ha, today just playing the CDs. Primo Dead. Rock on!
🙏❤️😎

RV3 I doubt the last Pick will be an 80s show, Dave said in his video for this one that 30 was basically a 60s>70s bridge show, and this one was like an 80s show even if it occurred in the decade of the 70s. Pretty sure he also said not to expect an 80s Pick for the next one. That doesn't rule out a 90s Pick, but think they go back to '72-74 for the last one of the year, especially if the Box is from the latter Era as is predicted.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Thanks DHB, I tried every damn permutation of that title! NOW there is a link on my desktop!

Jerry Album - Shining Star

I been on a three week bender of this cut,,,,, just this cut! The floating sound while working on the computer or sticking price stickers on at work. For our brethren across the pond waiting for 31,,, play it and relax.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by SteveGold425

Appreciate your honesty. I, too, felt the show was a bit 'low' on intensity, weak.........on a plus side: the box is due to be announced soon, hopefully something a little more explosive....1968, 1969. Or a 1969, 1970 1980 acoustic-electric combo might a nice flip-of-the-switch.

OR, as many are yearning (myself included): Fall 1972, when that E72 vibe was still wailing from the shores across the pond.

Also, if you really love 1979...give 11.1.79 a whirl. Explosive, compared to Da31

As PIG sang: "get your hands outta your pocket, quit playing pocket-pool....get on that pony and ride."

user picture

Member for

9 years 11 months

Dave’s Picks v. 31 landed here yesterday. Glad, but not surprised to hear Dr. Rhino's figured out a work-around for those of you whose copy was being held for ransom overseas. Hang in there! As a diversion while you wait, and as requested by others, here’s my hot-off-the-press, corrected and squared scan of Tyler Crook's cover art. Enjoy and pass it around.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/u6z7eyk91rxl86w/AAAKgB8qgn1tc4nfeuVALevSa?dl…

Also, if you’re interested, the link also includes Bill Walker's updated version of his Anthem of the Sun cover. In 1968 Walker rushed not-quite finished cover art for Anthem to Warner Bros. The rest is history, or so we thought. I ran across a jambands article (https://jambands.com/news/2019/07/26/grateful-dead-artist-bill-walker-t…) recently that brought the story up to date. Turns out, in 1989, Walker decided to work back into his painting, flesh out the design and add detail he’d left out 20 years earlier. You can either pony up 4 grand for your very own print at https://www.anthemprints.com/home or put up with what I was able to cobble together for free (or both!?).

Now crank the music! Onward.

I listened to it again and that will be the last time. I find it almost insulting that Dave can talk for over twenty minutes about how great this show is. There are some nice moments, but that’s about it. Bobby’s tunes are decent and the band sounds good. It made me depressed to listen to Jerry so out of it. This isn’t era bias, I saw my first show in 83. I thought the shows from 80 to 84 in the porch crusher were all strong even if the sound quality was lacking especially on the 81 and 82 shows. I want more good 80s releases, but if this is Dave’s definition of good then its time to high tail it back to the 60s or 70s......It’s all opinion and this is just mine🤪
Hopefully Ark 69 gets released tomorrow.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by annalee10

Yes, ARK 1969, with a sprinkling of, say 4/5 and 4/6/69.....a period when the heat was always turned way up. Or, as Jerry said, in 1975: "We'd like it be louder...."

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

So I enjoyed disc one of DaP 31 two nights ago and looked forward to the show taking off, with disc two last night. So I regret to say that Jer's fingers weren't nimble enough for Scarlet and it was painful to hear. I thought, maybe a full-blown rocker will find him reconnecting, but I noticed on Truckin' that he doesn't play the opening/descending diad (correct term?) very well -- my diagnosis: H-fingers (hint: like tequila fingers but more dangerous). If you check out the liner notes' pic of Jer, he's a bit too happy and squint-eyed for his own good.

I did in fact enjoy disc one and the filler material sounded like he cooled it on night 2. But I aborted the DaP 31 listen and regrouped with DaP 14 (3-26-72, Academy of Music) and enjoyed some truly ripping Truckin' and Playing.

I don't mind Dave using the 3rd pick of the year to explore, say, cassette masters, or a very different style of show. There will be (and has been) some filler in past 3rd picks. But I'm afraid my ears and sensibilities make DaP31 difficult to enjoy.

I look forward ... generally ... and, specifically, to a clean '91 Jer at tomorrow's movie, news of the box and all the great music still to come our way.

On a fun note, I found a setlisting for Jer's Shining Star dbl-CD from 2002. Turns out I attended the JGB at MSG show on 11-16-91, when they recorded the opening, title track. And that the rest of the release covers 1989-1993. With GarciaLive 11 from Nov '93, which I really enjoy despite Jer's worn voice, I had to know what other late-era JGB I had. Discovered that I also had an unofficial recording of 4-27-94/Warfield and both the performance and SQ are all there.

Moral of the story: Jer in late '79 was playing with fire, eventually everyone got badly burned, but he did turn in some great years later on when he was clean. And getting clean involves tremendous willpower. Jer did it for the music and the band, it would appear. I credit him for that. (12-3-79, not so much.)

I'll chalk up DaP 31 to a momentary lapse on Dave's part and look forward to mo' bettuh recordings in the future.

Got an email from UPS My Choice that reads:

Rescheduled Delivery Date: Thursday, 08/01/2019
Estimated Delivery Time: 03:30 PM - 07:30 PM

There's a sign now button. It seems to work about as well as prepaid international shipping. :D

The suspense is killing me..

I have just sent an email to Dr Rhino-so all THAT's still going on. It doesn't sound too hot, though, going off the reviews. Looking at Jeffs pictures, it looks as though it has been upstaged by its cover. And that new painting of the Anthem cover is superb. Wouldn't mind importing one of those to Blighty, but its sadly out of my price range.

Nothing to do with The Dead, but I am waiting for delivery of the Tangerine Dream box set, too. At £125.00, that also seems a bit pricey, and I have been thinking about cancelleing the order. But I have just checked on Amazon to see where that is in the tracking system.... and noticed its has gone up in price to £800.00 ! So I think I'll let my order stand. The world has gone a bit mad at the moment.

user picture

Member for

6 years

In reply to by JackstrawJay

Right on for the recommendations and appreciate the words. Im kind of surprised that the crew kept going on this one given Jerry's quality this night . Attending shows during the run I did - from 86-95 - maybe Im tuned into those nights where Jerry was just not quite with us for whatever reasons. There were a few along the way during those years. But we all know that every era also has cleaner and more engaged Jerry and it really makes all the difference. I dont know all the criteria they use to pick whole shows - Im sure its not easy to get everything right for a full show release from the vaults. And like I said, Ill keep supporting DP just so they can keep sending us the music - this one just fell flat imo. Peace!

user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

In reply to by hendrixfreak

I'm glad I love it all. My ears aren't like a dog or super-human or anything so this sounds fine to me. Still better than many tapes I wore out long ago. Thanks Dave & Co.
Is it '72? No. Is it '74? No, it's not. Is it '90? Nope. Is it the Grateful Goddamn Dead!?! Yes it is, and that makes it mighty fine in my book. But what do I know? I'm what some of you folks condemn as a "Touch-head".
Hope all you folks overseas get it soon. It's good.
:O)

Well said and agreed. After 2 full listens now Ill flat out say that this release actually bums me out because of Jerry's condition. I wont be keeping this one unfortunately - its been ripped for posterity but the discs will be sold or given away

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by SteveGold425

This release strikes me as disrespectful to Jerry Garcia. He sounds wasted. I thought he was going to fall over during Ramble On Rose. Listening to Terrapin Station in it's entirety is like surviving a heroin overdose.
I also feel Dave needs to start being more honest and forthcoming in his chats. At least Dick had the buyer beware warning on his picks. As an example would you have bought PNW if Dave had mentioned that there are mixing issues at the start of each show and some sonic anomalies throughout such as the 4 song vocal drop out. Yes you would have bought it anyway. But you would have been fully informed. For weeks after its release people were asking if they had defective discs. That's not right.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Apologies to anyone if my "review" spoils anything. I went into listening to DaP 31 determined to draw my own conclusions and most everyone does the same. There are always highlights in any GD show and I got jazzed by disc one and the filler. I'll spin this one again and apply the ear again.

I'm fundamentally in support of the vault releases and don't mind an occasional release that falls flat for me. (Boise '83 anyone??) We know Dave has to space release of the iconic and/or very best shows to feed the beast (that's us) on a consistent basis, so I don't really mind and look forward to what's next.

I do like to avoid being a downer or overly critical and the positive news is that the 1st and 2nd releases this year really rang my bell, as I expect No. 4 to do as well.

Enjoy the movies, folks, and good luck on whether the box set appeals to you.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 11 months

Got my 2 DP 31’s today...haven’t listened to it yet, but wondering if anyone else got copies that had the limited edition wording printed on the CD packaging, but no limited edition numbers.......maybe mine are really limited? Both copies had no numbers, nothing. Looking forward to hearing them tomorrow.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

In reply to by mhammond12

One more and I'll quiet down... Mhammond12 commented on PNW shows and the mixing issues. Let me say that I caught quite a few '73 shows and the box captures those events well, in that the entire audience experienced the "dialing in" the PA stuff live and in person and, often, tech people were scurrying along the back line, adjusting the gremlins out. So the PNW tapes do sound a lot like actual '73 shows went down. Agreed, if Dave knew that, he could say that "as at the shows themselves, the tapes have some anomalies," if just to tamp down Mhammond12's legit criticism. But he chooses not to. And I don't think he's going to start doing it.

BTW, one thing seldom mentioned is that in those years, the band took as much time between songs as they did playing songs, mostly tuning and probably deciding where to go next. Sometimes that killed the momentum, often early on, though the later set medleys worked to mesmerize with no down time. I once read someone calling for every second of tape, including tune-ups. Nooo!! Just the music, please...

Mhammond12 doesn't mention the aud patches though (or did he?) in PNW box. What I'd like to see is not so much more caveat emptor stuff, but more of the archival inside story, if there's one to tell. Look, back in the day, every single GD tape had major flaws -- you could be flying along on some unbelievable jam and zzzzzzzoooooooopppppppppp!! the tape ran out. Complete coitus interruptus! Those flaws DEFINED GD tapes. These days, we get seriously curated tapes from 50 years ago with modern sound science processing, patches, the works. I'm actually interested in that info. So the curator geek in me is interested in what they had to do to release a show. Obviously, TPTB are more into the Wizard of Oz stance, where we don't get to peek behind the curtain. And they've got the tapes.

To sum up... pitch correction apparently remains a concern. Mailing these freakin' things to our brethren in Europe is getting resolved. Made in Mexico CDs have a mixed track record. Aud patches happen. And Jer chased the dragon, which resulted in uneven performances, '79 to '86. I distinctly recall Red Rocks shows in the mid-80s when even while tripping me ass off, I could tell Jer was out of synch and naively wondered why. I guess it's all of a piece.

I find it tragic that H bested Jer as it will anyone and that a band devoted to the endless possibilities of life succumbed to an ancient curse. I cannot say I never crossed that line, just lucky that I made it safely back.

Maybe DaP 31 is a message in a bottle from 40 years ago: it's all fun and games until someone really gets hurt.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 1 month

When I listened to "Alabama Getaway" I said to myself , yep that's the Dead, no soundcheck.

For those of you, like me, bummed by Da31, here's a fine way to blow out the pipes:

Cue up the FW Box from 1969. (a paramount release). Listen to Death Don't from 3/2/69.... A work of art, gentle and exploratory. And explosive. And the youthful voice of Garcia rings true...he made his guitar sing and chant....all ten disks get the most airtime. From me.

When new releases fall flat on their back, enjoy YOUR personal library; listen to what makes YOU happy....No sense in trying to resuscitate the off-nights.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 1 month

I've only listened to this release once and I think it's a pretty decent show for the time. However, when I opened up the package, the date of the show hit me between the eyes like a bullet. I wasn't in Chicago for the Dead show that night but was in Cincinnati for the Who show where 11 people were killed. I couldn't help but wonder if they heard what happened in Cincinnati at some point during this show.

Sorry if this is a bummer but that date brings back some painful memories.

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

I've listened to 31 twice now, once in the car, which is a fair litmus test. It's uninspired, and it sounds like shit. A dog.

However, I enjoyed the listen... that's the thing about this band, even off nights are interesting. I did think the final three bonus songs on disc 3 were the best of the lot, from the next night 12/4.

I do like Brent's contributions here. He lays back in his singing, and his keys are about the best sounding thing on the whole recording.

I can't say it bothers me. I'm interested if not glad to have it, and I'm sure the next one will be "better."

\m/

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

In reply to by LedDed

"Ich kvetche."

Leute, Leute, Leute...was ist los mit Sie?

"ein Hund, sehr schlecht, nicht gut, Jerry ist krank mit der Heroin..."

eine Schade, meine Freunde. Eine grosse Schade.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

Respectfully recanting my earlier post about this DaP31 release...
When I posted earlier, I had only heard Set 1 the night before + Scarlet/Fire on my drive into work.
After hearing the rest of the show, I think you can clearly hear some ~ impaired ~ and less than inspiring vocals and licks from our beloved Jer on lead guitar...
Considering ALLL of the other releases I have in my vault (+ tomorrow's release!) this one will probably not get another shot in the rotation.
$.02
iGrateful just the same

Wow.
http://www.carnegiesciencecenter.org/rangos-giant-cinema/the-grateful-d…

Is it the Box announcement of that it’s playing on a 70 x 38 foot screen with surround sound?

Any sell outs in other cities?

6-17 has way better sound than 6-22.
https://youtu.be/kuSJ0djewQU
https://youtu.be/GvHPMfWbWEk

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

As I posted when DaP 31 was announced, I’ve had these shows on CD-R for around 15 years.
I’ve listened to them many times over the years.
DaP 31 sounds better than my copy, so I’m happy for the upgrade.

I can accept that 1 out of 4 annual DaP’s are from 80’s cassette masters as long as it sounds better than what I already have.

But, most importantly, make sure that all the good sounding reels get Plangentized.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 6 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

I’m very happy with this pick, have also long been familiar with this run. Actually, this pick (assuming we count it as an 80s pick) makes it only the fourth of 31. That’s closer to 1/10 than 1/4. I would LOVE if every fourth pick was from the 80s.

Okay Hendrixfreak, yes, Jerry certainly struggles in this show and throughout his way too early death in 1995. We have the ability of hindsight to nit pick the hell out of all these releases where the music doesn't even come close to all our other favorites. And you have the personal knowledge of Jerry's life style. I am still trying to get that image out of my head. But for me and I believe most of us, we can't wait for the next release. There have been several head scratchers throughout all these releases. Put them aside. It would be great if Dave would give us more accurate information on several of these releases, but that is not going to happen. Such a bummer too, because the RT3.1 sure kicks ass. But that was the deal.

At least there are some high points in this release and no vocal dropouts.

user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Expecting perfection at every turn tells me some of you out there learned nothing from life or the DEAD.
Here's to hoping we get more 80's & 90's and it knots up more of your panties ya whiners. It's all good. Sorry ya can't enjoy.
:O)
...the dragon on the cover artwork looks like there's a vulnerable missing scale like in the Hobbit.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

No release will be perfect.
Dave will hype all releases because it's part of his job, he's the hype man, not the meh man.
You can't please all the people all the time.
This release wasn't perfect, but it seemed ok to me, I found some cool moments, and it is all part of the story.
Been listening to Grateful Dead and Flaming Lips lately, the combo is working for me. Waiting for Kings Mouth to arrive, looks like another delightfully weird and psychedelic release by Flaming Lips and has some of the coolest cover art I've seen in a while.
As Rick Nelson sang, But it's alright now, I learned my lesson well, You see, you can't please everyone, so you got to please yourself.
Edit: or as Blind Faith put it, Do What You Like

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Ok, since many of you are riled up over this latest, let’s focus on what DAVES 32 might be next......
My gut says 91, depending on the box, otherwise..., and/or for #33 consider the following...

RELEASES

DP = Dicks
Dap = Dave’s (* multiple releases)
RT = Road Trips
DL = Download series

68: DP 22/ RT 2.2/ DL 6 = 3
69: DP 16 26/ Dap 6*, 10*/ RT 4.4/ DL 12 = 6*
70: DP 4, 8/ Dap 19*, 30*/ TR 3.3/ DL 2, DL Family Dog = 7**
71: DP 2, 35/ Dap 3*, 22*, 26*/ RT 1.3, 3.2/ DL 3 = 8**
72: DP 11, 23, 30, 36/ Dap 11, 14*, 24/ DL 10 = 8*
73: DP 1, 14, 19, 28/ Dap 5, 16, 21/ RT 4.3/ DL 8 = 9
74: DP 7, 12, 24, 31/ Dap 2, 9, 13, 17/ RT2.3 = 9
76: DP 20, 33/ Dap 4, 18*, 28/ RT 4.5/ DL 4 = 7*
77: DP 3, 10, 15, 29, 34/ Dap 1, 12, 25, 29/ RT 1.2/ DL 1 = 11
78: DP 18, 25/ Dap 7, 15, 23/ RT 1.4 = 6
79: DP 5/ Dap 31/ RT 1.1, 3.1/ DL 11/5&6/79 = 6
80: Dap 8/ RT 3.6/ DL 7 = 3
81: DP 13/ Dap 20 = 2
82: DP 32/ RT 4.4 = 2
83: DP 6/ Dap 27 = 2
84 = 0
85: DP 21 = 1
86 = 0
87 = 0
88: RT 4.2/ DL 5 = 2
89: DL 9 = 1
90: DP 9/ RT 2.1 = 2
91: DP 17/ DL 11 = 2
92: DP 27 = 1
93: RT 2.4 = 1

Here’s a Breakdown of Dave’s Picks
Year: Total Releases/ How Many Releases since../Last Release.#
80: 1 / 23 / #8
69: 2 / 21 / #10
74: 4 / 14 / #17
81: 1 / 11 / #20
73: 3 / 10 / #21
78: 3 / 8 / #23
72: 3 / 7 / #24
71: 3 / 5 / #26
83: 1 / 4 / #27
76: 3 / 3 / #28
77: 4 / 2 / #29
70: 2 / 1 / #30

Of course this does not include Box’s or other releases, and their influence on the release schedule, but it still is fun/interesting to compare......
I did this informally so please excuse any errors....

So if not something completely different, believe he did elude to all keyboardist and/or more variety...then I’m guessing maybe a 74 (14 releases) perhaps that 7/25 Dark Star he’s been spinning on line? Or, 69 (21 Releases) maybe 73, perhaps 73 next year??And What about Gainesville?, 23 releases since that other great 80 show.... Of course Box releases will effect this.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

if you listen to the Franklin's Tower on Dicks Picks 3, you will hear Keith Godchaux play riffs that are very similar to those found in Foolish Heart

user picture

Member for

6 years

Happy birthday Jerry - hope your having fun up ( down ? ) there . 😸😸😸

user picture

Member for

6 years

Anyone need a ( miracle ? ) ticket for tonight’s show in central London ( Shaftesbury Avenue cinema ) . Work constraints mean I can’t make it . First to reply on this board gets it .

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

I admire LoveMyGirl's optimism when he says "...the shipping issue has been addressed and most importantly has been corrected. Rhino is paying the bill, everyone should be grateful everything is being handled very quickly..."

I agree that the shipping issue has been addressed, but where does he get the idea that the issue has been corrected and that it is being handled very quickly?

Since receiving the mail acknowledging that there was a mix up with the international paperwork nothing has happened that I am aware of. It doesn't bother me how long I have to wait before it is sorted and I receive my order, but to suggest that all is now good is somewhat premature in my view.

Has anybody heard of any developments in this sad saga since receiving the dead.net customer service mail?

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

simonrobb.

I agree. The problem will have been sorted once we all have DaP 31 delivered. UPS shows no change to the status of my package.
To be fair, given the time difference between the UK and US, they have only had c. 1 working day since the response email was sent out. I hope is is sorted but I won’t be happy until the package is delivered.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Re: SIMONROB

My copy was returned to the States from Castle Donington, England a few days ago. However it is now in Cumbernauld, Scotland and I have received my demand for £73 which I did not pay. So far the parcel has crossed the Atlantic three times and UPS say they will be sending it back again in 10 days time. I am happy to wait and am sure it will be sorted eventually. Wish I could have the parcels ‘air miles’ :-)
I am enjoying the last two DP’s in the meantime.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by carlo13

...I'm headed to Framingham this eve for MUATM....is it REALLY sold out??? First time I'll have seen that!

Looking forward to the Box surprise. Wonder if anything will leak before hand? Certainly east coasters will have the jump on West coasters...

As for DaP 31...I like it; the hiss is a bit distracting I'll say, but there are some fine moments. The bonus Estimated > Franklin's > Jam is truly the gem here IMHO. Just utter clean improv in action.

Perhaps See some peeps tonight!

Sixtus

Well, apparently today is the day. When I gave my "final" prediction for DaP 31, I was only off by 2 days. Let's see how close (or not) I am to today's announcement. I know there is a lot of buzz about a 91 release, but I just cannot see them releasing anything from an era that casual fans probably won't buy.

Final prediction: A series of June 1976 shows

user picture

Member for

8 years

...I find it Sad all this talk about Jerry being high on ‘heroin’ during this concert/show and that it effected his performance in the way of it being labeled as ‘a poor quality playing & singing’ Jerry on 12/3/79/ Daves Pick #31 due to a certain Drug. For one thing, this band and most of its members have been performing since 1965 on many different ‘mind-altering substances’ thru out the entire History of the band with Jerrys ‘ending’ in1995, some fans even go so far and state/believed Jerry died long before he physically / spiritually passed away into the heavens, because of his ‘Drug Habit’, but let’s all call it what it really is, “ a Disease”. Jerry, suffered/lived/died, everyday of his adult life span from a medical perspective with an incurable Disease; Addiction. It can be treated but to date according to medical/Scientific experts there still is no Cure for this disease. It’s Just my opinion but I believe Jerry suffered from what science calls, a “Duel-diagnosis” Disease, which in small words, is both a behavioral mental disorder along with an addiction disorder due mostly to “self medicating” with controlled substances. I’m not a doctor, but I am a ‘survivor’ not a ‘victim’ as some people would like to state in this rodeo and I can ‘Identify’ a lot with Jerry. Jerry Garcia experienced some really heavy life changing incidents starting when he was at a very young age, 5yrs old, if I remember correctly. For starters, when his father drowned and passed away, is just one of many other incidents that can have a profound effect, like having his finger cut off by his brother which also happened at a very young age, when his brain was still very much developing at that point in life development. There was not many treatments back then and most were just horrid, costly and not very Effective if at all...still goes for today but I’m grateful there are many more treatments available now than say 50 years ago when there was very little and I’m alive now due to these (some) treatments and I in return can help others by participating in ‘new’ & trial programs...
To get back to this latest pick of choice, maybe Jerry wasn’t at his best but he was mighty fine to my musical likeness and taste. As they (the band) say themselves , no two shows were ever alike and that created a vast open and unexplored space of ‘uniqueness’ in the bands performances, throw in personal taste and you have a road map for the heavens & total grateness in all different aspects in a musical sense & experience which 30TATS concept and the smaller earlier model/release ‘ So Many Roads’ Boxset did.
I love 1979. No snooz fest for me, I was always Into what Brent was going to bring to a nights performance being the ‘new guy’ on Keys...Jerry & Brent together brought and breathed beauty back into the Dead for this era and not forgetting the other members too for A+ playing. Recordings are a whole different story. A lot of factors go into any recording of a performance during any era.
I’m going stop blabbering for now, sorry folks I’m pretty excited for #31 release still and tonight’s performance on Jerry birthday. I attended this show so I’m know floods of old memories are going to swell in this Deadhead, some tears, some laughter and a whole lot of Loving & Smile Smile Smile’n. And of course dancing!!! Have a grateful day my brothers & sisters, here’s to a beautiful day filled with LOVE for everyone who’s still dancing among us and the ones who have gone & danced before us, God Bless!
🙏❤️😎 Rock On, and Play it Loud & Proud!!!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 3 months

I may be wrong but it appears the box set will be what many have anticipated. Amazon shows a single show release for the 6/17/91 Giants Stadium show, which will be released at the end of September. Perhaps the set includes both Giants Stadium shows and video.

I'll be fine with just the single show release.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-31-1.html