• 1,184 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Hold on to your hat, we're coming in strong with one from the Windy City that'll have you movin' and shakin' from start to finish. DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 signals a true rebirth of the Grateful Dead, reimagining classics and foreshadowing their 80s sound. This is as much in part due to freshly-minted member Brent Mydland bringing the organ back in as it is to Jerry finding new vivacity with his custom Wolf guitar. New guy, new guitar - it all makes for a heck of a good time!

Set One rolls like never-ending thunder with one standout after another - truly epic versions of "Brown-Eyed Women," "Ramble On Rose," "It's All Over Now," "Althea," and "The Music Never Stopped." Set Two hits with a crack of not-so-lazy lightning, barreling through an outrageous 28-minute "Scarlet>Fire" to a unique “Lost Sailor>Saint of Circumstance” and wrapping with a "blow the roof off the place" version of "Truckin'" and a rippin' "Johnny B. Goode." Ready for some quiet after the storm? You'll have to wait a just a little bit longer - we've filled in the gap on Disc 3 with a sprinkle of 12/4/79 - "Estimated>Franklin's Tower>" and an incredibly improvised “Jam.”

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 has been mastered from Dan Healy's cassette recordings to HDCD specs by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • rambly
    Default Avatar

Hello Marye
    Hoping you can point me in the right direction on this. I live in Canada and received a shipping invoice related to DaP 31. I emailed Dr. Rhino 3 times in August but no answer. UPS told me it was resolved when I called them in September, but then I just received a collection notice. I've emailed UPS again and Dr. Rhino again, but anything you can do to help would be gratefully appreciated! Thank you!

• fourwindsblow

Not a bad show the band really gets going by wharf rat which is typical for a first night of a three night run.

• wissinomingdeadhead
    Default Avatar

Anticipating the announcement for Daves Picks 2020 subscriptions any day now it usually coincides with the Grateful Dead Almamac. Better warn the wife to have her cc ready since the second year this is my Christmas present from her, she hates it because she doesn't have to go shopping for it. I know the 2020 calendar is available for sale Michael DuBois is the artist for next years calendar. All I can say BIO & PD
    BRING IT ON
    PLAY DEAD

• outpost

Just seen it along with the cover art on Ebay !

• alvarhanso

Makes me think Rex tape on 10 inch reels like 4/2/73. But Betty or Rex or Kidd doesn't make any difference to me. Looks to be a very good show on the back end of a very good tour.

• Lovemygirl

Source

• unkle sam

Trucking>Jam>Spanish Jam then the shortest dark star ever less than 4 minutes. DaP 32 is going to be a sweet one, can't wait to hear how they are going to clean up that Bertha start and some of those tape flips. Good luck Mr. Norman. Do a good job, take your time, we will all appreciate it.

• cub
    Default Avatar

As I am listening to a soundboard recording of 3.24.73 at https://archive.org/details/deadhead
    There are two Betty Boards listed. The 2nd listing has the complete show with 5134 views
    Bertha
    Beat It On Down
    Don't Ease Me In
    The Race Is On
    Cumberland Blues
    Box Of Rain
    Row Jimmy
    Jack Straw
    They Love Each Other
    Mexicali Blues
    Tennessee Jed
    Looks Like Rain
    Wave That Flag
    El Paso
    Here Comes Sunshine
    Me and Bobby McGee
    Loser
    Playing In The Band
    (set break)
    tuning
    Promised Land
    China Cat Sunflower
    I Know You Rider
    Big River
    Stella Blue
    Me and My Uncle
    He's Gone
    Truckin'
    Dark Star
    Sing Me Back Home
    Sugar Magnolia
    Johnny B. Goode

Wow 31 tracks, Thank you

• alvarhanso

Could be either one. Rex taped 4/2/73 DaP 21 (one of, if not the best sounding tapes in the Series), and a lot of his tapes were in Betty's collection as they were married. I think Kidd taped 3/28/73 DaP 16. Guess we'll find out in 3 weeks. Looking forward to this one, and love the artwork!

• Mytime
    Default Avatar

this one

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

Hold on to your hat, we're coming in strong with one from the Windy City that'll have you movin' and shakin' from start to finish. DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 signals a true rebirth of the Grateful Dead, reimagining classics and foreshadowing their 80s sound. This is as much in part due to freshly-minted member Brent Mydland bringing the organ back in as it is to Jerry finding new vivacity with his custom Wolf guitar. New guy, new guitar - it all makes for a heck of a good time!

Set One rolls like never-ending thunder with one standout after another - truly epic versions of "Brown-Eyed Women," "Ramble On Rose," "It's All Over Now," "Althea," and "The Music Never Stopped." Set Two hits with a crack of not-so-lazy lightning, barreling through an outrageous 28-minute "Scarlet>Fire" to a unique “Lost Sailor>Saint of Circumstance” and wrapping with a "blow the roof off the place" version of "Truckin'" and a rippin' "Johnny B. Goode." Ready for some quiet after the storm? You'll have to wait a just a little bit longer - we've filled in the gap on Disc 3 with a sprinkle of 12/4/79 - "Estimated>Franklin's Tower>" and an incredibly improvised “Jam.”

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 has been mastered from Dan Healy's cassette recordings to HDCD specs by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

user picture

Member for

11 years 11 months

Currently spinning Alabama Getaway after a lengthy import process (no track names unfortunately). However, the act of typing in the song names made me realize there are a heck of a lot of tracks with the ">" at the end - usually a good sign in my book!
I had listened to RoadTrips 1.1 earlier today while working from home to get in the mood and so far this is sounding "better" in terms of both tape quality and playing. Brent is loud-and-clear in the mix. Dick's 31 was a face-melter, lets hope Dave's 31 is too!

Play Dead Y'all

...about that box set that's coming our way soon (I hope)...I've been setting my pennies aside for the Allman Bros at Fillmore West and Orchestral Favorites by Frank Zappa so I dunno...unless of course it's something in my wheelhouse like The Ark as has been wished for...

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by nappyrags

I don't see how I can make the movies this year... none close. Which means they have to announce the box set some other way also.

user picture

Member for

7 years

Did this 74 charge just start on DAP 31 in the UK? What was the shipping charge before the increase? Thanks.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

SHAZAM

i GOT that show today

Wow

....buts there's JGB Bread In My Breadbox. Prime Jerry. Rinse & Repeat. Nailed It!! Definitely Danceable.
Or Shuffleable. That's how my wife describes my bodily movements.
I'm tall and lanky. Long Limbs. Elbow Warning!

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

I am still expecting that they will make an announcement via email and on dead.net shortly after the movie, maybe the same night, maybe the next day.

user picture

Member for

12 years 6 months

Arrived home from work this evening to find the little gem tucked safely inside my mailbox...kind of unexpected--tracking said Monday---anyway, going to be a great weekend! Hope everyone waiting gets their soon.

user picture

Member for

12 years 6 months

...and Vegas is my 2nd home. I attend most of my concerts down there, I bootleg my booze in Mesquite on the way home at Lee's Discount Liquor, and I'm a huge Knights Fan! 68 days until puck drop......

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by RobbZ

....I like the way you think. Ever since The Golden Knights came upon the scene, every other sport gets a backseat. Even my shitty Dolphins.
VGK gets shotgun. VegasBorn.
There are hockey fans lurking here....

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

DTUCK90
Did this 74 charge just start on DAP 31 in the UK? What was the shipping charge before the increase? Thanks.

The previous DaP issues have arrived from Europe. Presumably they have been bulk shipped to a distribution point and then posted out. Since the UK is still in the EU, for the moment, no customs charges apply to a relatively cheap item so they are delivered with no charge. Larger box sets can attract charges of c. 20% of the item price with a handling fee, this fee is not always charged so some box sets are delivered free and others can attract a charge it depends upon the diligence of the customs on that day. The most I can remember paying is under £30 and that was for one of the big boxes, perhaps the complete Europe tour. So £73 for a triple cd is ridiculous.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

Just checked my e-mail, not thinking I'd already have received a reply to my 'fizzed off' e-mail.

His reply reads: "Thank you for your email.

I am very sorry to hear that you are being charged a delivery fee, for your copy of Dave's Picks Volume 31.

I have brought this issue to the attention of our warehouse and our operations team.

We are working with UPS to resolve this issue as soon as possible.

I apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

I will update you on our progress as soon as possible.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Sincerely,

Dr. Rhino

Rhino/Dead.net Customer Service"

....Possible light then at the end of the tunnel....!

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by carlo13

Dtuck90-thanks for the info about checking the shipping details with UPS. I have just followed your advice, but after putting the tracking number in, and trying to follow up the status - nothing happens. I will just wait and see what happens I think.

Carlo-I haven't been asked to pay any additional shipping costs for several years for Daves Picks. I can remember paying extra in the first year or so , which did make me hesitate ( for about 5 seconds) before renewing my subscriptions. I'm not working now, so things are a bit different.

I can't remember how much I paid for shipping for the 73/74 box, but it brought on one of my dizzy spells! Which is why, unless this years box is Ark 1969 or Fall 1972, I may bow out. I seem to remember shipping cots varied quite widely for this box for people in the UK. I phoned up to try and find out why, but I never got a satisfactory answer, and gave up after a while.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Sadly this shipping disaster is not limited to the UK alone. Unsurprisingly the same situation applies to me here in Holland. UPS are expecting me to pay €81.88 (that is equivalent to $91.16 at current exchange rates). This is almost as much as I paid for the year's subscription with the early-bird discount. No other Dave's Picks has been sent using UPS. Why this time? I seem to recall that a box was once sent to foreign or European customers using UPS and a similar situation occurred. I also seem to recall that it was sorted out in the end. That said, one has to ask how this sort of situation can occur. When they send out the same set of packages every three months, why should someone suddenly decide to "do it differently" with all the consequences of such an ill-considered decision. This, of course, beggars belief in this day and age. A mail is on its way to Dr. Rhino. Good to see that he has at least had the decency to reply to at least one British punter suggesting that there will be rectification. Curious to see how this evolves.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 8 months

Received my DaP 31 on Friday, a pleasant surprise to get it so early. However mine has no # on it. Top of the back cover reads "LIMITED EDITION:" and then it is blank. I must've gotten one of the ones they save for replacement copies.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

all this talk about the box set has me remembering the fiasco that was PNW 73-74. Doesn't anyone remember the faulty discs from this box? I had to have 3 replaced and it wasn't anything that deadnet did, it was rhino. I would really like a 91 box with Bruce and Vince, but I will not preorder, I will wait till I have read the reviews and wait till I hear about any and all abnormalities with the box before I order. Now, if it is a 91 box, I don't think that we will have to worry about the ravages of time making the shows incomplete or big dropouts in the sound, but who knows, it is rhino after all and I'm not the biggest fan of their production procedures or their quality control. Still, it's kinda exciting waiting for the announcement. I finally got the email saying my DAPs 31 is in the mail, yahoo!!!

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

nailed it (regarding the up-and-coming box)

he penned: ...Which is why, unless this year's box is Ark 1969 or Fall 1972, I may bow out....

and now back to my regularly scheduled program: Allmans 1970 FE...awaiting the September 2019 release of January 1971....DUANE was (is) insane....

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Again the boards keep me abreast of new things. I'd don't know if I ever hear about some things if it wasn't for the people here. Everyone in my circles wait for me to show up with "new" stuff. I can honestly say I am not the biggest Allman fan, but I am the biggest sucker for this boxed shit! Hope my wife doesn't retire anytime soon :-)

I MIGHT see DaP 31 today!?! Tracking shows at my post office this morning at 430. Certainly enough time to sort, but sometimes I think they don't deliver 'packages' on Saturday and keep it to just envelopes.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Casey check pm, got the mule for you.

Keith Fan,,,, did you get what I got for you?

ABB FW71 on order - thanks for the heads up. Finally received my 2/28 FW69 on Vinyl - thru sides A & B and loving it. Finally ripped GarciaLive11 so will get first listen today. My shipping notice says Tuesday for DaP31.

I concur the 2/24/74 show is the better of the two 1974 DaPs in question, if you had to choose one.

Vguy, sounds wild.....I’ve got to get back to Vtown one of these days, hell the misses has never been!
Best visit was a friends wedding.....out in some lush tropical courtyard, everyone wearing shorts, smoking big cigars and sporting drinks (under a wonderful “green” fog, ahem)....while the ceremony went on under a Grass Palapa, surrounded by palms and lush tropical foliage, and beautiful women frolicking in the pool......what a day!

Took notice of this in the article....
“The sound is a new technology, never implemented before, using beam-forming technology, which allows you to have the same experience whether sitting in the back or the front."
Hhhhmmmmmm? Sounds kinda like another PA we know around here!

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Just read on the Rolling Stone website that Dead and Co have dropped out and will not play at Woodstock 50.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by unkle sam

A survey por favor!
What kind of blank CDs do all y’all prefer?
I live in the boonies and can only get memorex I believe at Wally world and there not cheap...
They also don’t seem to Last so well?
Used to buy online in bulk when I still played music since I would record then make copies for everyone, but I can’t recall where/what kind those were, which is a shame as they held up well but we’re really inexpensive....

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by simonrob

Well I received an apologetic reply from Dr Rhino saying that he’d look into the delivery charges fiasco but in view of the fact that I paid not once but twice (I have two orders, one for myself and once for a friend) because I didn’t want to run the risk of missing out, I can say that if this isn’t sorted out by DaP 32 I will never again buy from this site. I noticed that there is a disclaimer on the page explaining delivery charges for international customers which is a convenient get out clause.

I’d really love it for someone from dead.net to have the courage to post on this forum with updates about this situation, caste iron guarantees that it won’t happen again, and apologies to the Grateful Dead community. I somehow doubt it, though, given the ominous silence over the dodgy discs from the last box set. Prove me wrong dead.net ....

user picture

Member for

15 years 3 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I get the Taiyo Yuden / JVC Ink Jet printables since my old epson printer has a cdr holder. I think they're now available as "CMC Pro - Powered by TY Technology 80 Minute/700mb White inkjet CD-R in Cake Box - 100 Count"

It's around $30+ for a 100 pack. I've created copies of all my live Dead/JGB releases along with favorite soundboards. I think out of the 5 x 100 pack maybe had 1 or 2 bad ones.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

This was part of ours...
https://www.postindependent.com/news/breaking-i-70-westbound-closed-at-…

We headed off after to work to return Courtesy car to dealer and pick up the misses car. Figured I go and we’d have dinner at the B-Pub, perhaps maybe they’d have some Strawberry beer left....all that normally about a 2 hour trip....
Signage sucked, only said “delays at exit 116” IDIOTS! The damn road had already been shut down for 4 hours! so we, more idiots, drove right into the “parking lot” that was I 70, only about a Mile from the exit....long story short after fuggin 2 hours I finally took the wheel, back up just enough, turned left through just enough space between cars in left lane, then ever so carefully traversed the meadian ditch to the east bound lanes, then finally got the hell outta there or we could have been there half the night! Of course “authority” did jack shit to handle the situation so people couldn’t get off the highway or go anywhere! Bet eventually it got pretty ugly.....good news was the dealer staff couldn’t go home so we were able to still make the exchange and get her car....the bad news, at that hour the line was too long for dinner. Oh, and no beer left : (
And to think I blew off going VIP to Rocky Grass (for various reasons) to have my Friday end up like this.....yeeesshhk.
“Hang it up and see what tomorrow brings”

user picture

Member for

4 years 9 months

Reads "Add to that the new sound Jerry brought with the arrival of his custom Doug Irwin Wolf guitar, and you now have the sound that would largely dominate, and define, the Grateful Dead's 1980s output."

Except Wolf had been around for years in '79, Tiger was the new guitar. Pictures show Jerry playing Tiger. C'mon Dave!

user picture

Member for

5 years 3 months

Looking for some advice on another pick! Im torn between dicks picks 33 and Dave’s picks 18(1976) with the bonus disc. Dave has said 33 is a personal favorite. Both are going for 90$. Help on the way....

I use Verbatim...look online about $22 per a spindle of 100...never a coaster in the bunch...Amazon, Newegg or Fry.com have sales going on all the time

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by Cousins Of The…

Don't look now but I've posted twice without Captcha hell...

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

5880 in Plano, racked and stacked. Listening now.

Love my PO, took mail innovation a week from ohio to plano, po gets it at 430 AM and here it is.

user picture

Member for

7 years

Slowly it opens.

user picture

Member for

7 years

I hope the pushed out the anti-erase tabs on those tapes.

I agree with what you say in your last post concerning communications with dead.net.
From what you write, I get the impression that you have paid the asking price for shipping charges on this latest release. My intention, if I am charged, is not to, and then to start the laborious process of trying to rectify the situation so that it can be handed over without me being ripped off. If this isn't resolved for this one-31-never mind 32-then it will surely be the time to give up subscribing.
Anyway, I think it is important to keep the posts coming concerning this issue until it is satisfactorily resolved.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-31-1.html