• 2,197 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    "To my ears, the best Dead shows are those that not only fit the criteria that make them amongst the best of a year, but that are also completely unique for their era—shows that fit perfectly into their year of performance, but also fall somewhat outside of the norm for that year. Harpur College, Veneta, Cornell, Cape Cod, and Augusta are all shows that are objectively excellent, and if they are not the best from their respective years of performance, they are certainly unique. Miami 6/23/74 falls into that category: not only one of the very best shows from this outstanding year, but also one of the most interesting and unique. It’s certainly worthy of many, many deep listens." - David Lemieux

¡Ándale, ándale! ¡Arriba, arriba! We're back with a hot one from Miami, F-L-A. DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 34 features the complete show from the Jai Alai Fronton, 6/23/74, one with unparalleled sound quality due in equal parts to the Wall Of Sound and the beautiful sonic clarity of Kidd Candelario's tapes. The first set is chock full of dynamite takes on classics like "Ramble On Rose," "Mississippi Half-Step," and "Cumberland Blues." The second set delivers on the JAMS - one leading into a gorgeous "Ship Of Fools," one rare instrumental version of "Dark Star," and a "Spanish Jam," this is Miami after all! The show also offers up a "first" and an "only" - the former, a Seastones set featuring Phil and Ned Lagin and the latter, the sole Grateful Dead performance of Chuck Berry's "Let It Rock."

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.34: JAI ALAI FRONTON, MIAMI, FL 6/23/74 has been mastered from the 7.5 IPS reel-to-reel tapes to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman. ¡Agarrarlo mientras esta calientito! (Get it while it's hot!)

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Subscribed to Dave's Picks? With this release, you'll also get a bonus disc with selections from Miami 6/22/74. Excellente!

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Bolderdash
    Any sub/bonus-disc versions that are unnumbered?

This is kind of an odd question but I am wondering if anyone is aware of the existence of subscriber versions of this (with the bonus disc) that are NOT numbered? The reason I ask is because when this was released, my order got utterly lost en route, and so I contacted Dead.net for a replacement. IIRC, the title was already sold out, and yet I got a replacement with the subscriber bonus disc, which made me happy. I had been so anxious to hear an official version of these shows that by the time the replacement was sent, I had already obtained the digital audio files from what may or may not have been nefarious means.. So I kept my copy sealed. Then, lo and behold, months later my original order shows up at my door, and in one piece too!

But I've been hanging on to that replacement order for years now, and since times are especially tough in my house, I'm considering selling it for whatever the invisible hand of the market decides its worth. However, I can't discover whether or not it is a numbered copy without breaking the shrink wrap. So back to my question - are they any known *unnumbered* copies of this or any other DP entries that shipped with a bonus disc? I've also heard of people collecting the unnumbered / promo copies, which seems weird to me (it's not like promo vinyl where there are sound quality reasons to want a white-label promo).

On a related note, I received another unnumbered copy, this time DP 49, in February, and Dead.net replied to my inquiry in record time and sent out a replacement via FedEx lickity-split. I've also had a few vinyl orders that shipped out FedEx as the default lately. Good on them for (finally) upping their shipping game!

• uncle_tripel

...thanks for passing on the photo's from Jai-Alai from your friend, just looking at them as I load up disc 1 for today's LET IT ROCK n roll show. Sending MANY healing VIBES your way!

PEACE ALL!
    uncle_tripel

• uncle_tripel

keep'em comin', more '74!
    celebrating 50 years!!

uncle_tripel

• icecrmcnkd

Yes, it was available for $28.98 last Thursday.

9-8-73, -2-23-74, 11-2-69/12-26-69 still available.

• icecrmcnkd

I think that 6-23-74 was just available last week as part of the warehouse finds.

• OpenYourEyes
    Please re-release this one or make it available digitally!

See subject.
    Such a shame that these great releases get locked away or only available to those who can pay super inflated prices on the reseller market!

• Forensicdoceleven
    You are the music while the music lasts......

DEWAJACK check your pm..............................

Rock on,

Doc

• daverock

I often look on Discogs site to see if there are second hand box sets that I am looking for. I can't say I have ever bought a Dead show from them-and those I have looked at don't come cheap. But I have found bargains by other artists-so it's worth a look if you haven't checked them out before.

• dewajack
    Default Avatar

Long time Dead listener. I've purchased Dead shows on and off through the years, but have missed the boat on many great shows officially released in recent years due to life's demands. Last item I purchased was "Get Shown the Light." I was wondering is there anywhere to buy sold out official Dead releases for a reasonable price anywhere? I get on eBay and about pass out when I see the prices listed for individual Dave's Picks. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Forensicdoceleven

Well, finally got my stuff, not exactly what I asked for but it'll have to do. Better late than never, I suppose...........

Nothing left to discuss here, let's move on,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Doc
    Gratitude is when memory is stored in the heart and not in the mind

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

"To my ears, the best Dead shows are those that not only fit the criteria that make them amongst the best of a year, but that are also completely unique for their era—shows that fit perfectly into their year of performance, but also fall somewhat outside of the norm for that year. Harpur College, Veneta, Cornell, Cape Cod, and Augusta are all shows that are objectively excellent, and if they are not the best from their respective years of performance, they are certainly unique. Miami 6/23/74 falls into that category: not only one of the very best shows from this outstanding year, but also one of the most interesting and unique. It’s certainly worthy of many, many deep listens." - David Lemieux

¡Ándale, ándale! ¡Arriba, arriba! We're back with a hot one from Miami, F-L-A. DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 34 features the complete show from the Jai Alai Fronton, 6/23/74, one with unparalleled sound quality due in equal parts to the Wall Of Sound and the beautiful sonic clarity of Kidd Candelario's tapes. The first set is chock full of dynamite takes on classics like "Ramble On Rose," "Mississippi Half-Step," and "Cumberland Blues." The second set delivers on the JAMS - one leading into a gorgeous "Ship Of Fools," one rare instrumental version of "Dark Star," and a "Spanish Jam," this is Miami after all! The show also offers up a "first" and an "only" - the former, a Seastones set featuring Phil and Ned Lagin and the latter, the sole Grateful Dead performance of Chuck Berry's "Let It Rock."

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.34: JAI ALAI FRONTON, MIAMI, FL 6/23/74 has been mastered from the 7.5 IPS reel-to-reel tapes to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman. ¡Agarrarlo mientras esta calientito! (Get it while it's hot!)

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Subscribed to Dave's Picks? With this release, you'll also get a bonus disc with selections from Miami 6/22/74. Excellente!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

It should definitely be here by 1:30 p.m. tomorrow according to my most recent update. Of all the late comers.

Jimbo - I'm going to go with Cumberland.

user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

It's a majestic release. Thank you to all involved.

user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

In reply to by LedDed

I was lucky enough to see the Screaming Trees & Soundgarden at the Cat's Cradle in Chapel Hill, NC in '88 or '89 I think.
Two bands that have stood the tests of time, for my liking anyway. Trees always make me feel like I'm listening to a 90's version of the Stooges or something. Low-key psychedelia in the 90's....

Also, my first listen to the fabled Jai-Alai...so far, so good. I get it.
Get some...

user picture

Member for

7 years

I zipped you a late pm.

user picture

Member for

7 years

I zipped you a late pm.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

The tracking notice had it set for delivery last Saturday and my entire evening was planned around it-- one of those first beautiful Michigan Spring days to sit on a westward facing back porch, sunglasses, pint, etc. By the time five o'clock rolled around, I knew it wasn't happening.

Updated notice came in today and advised of the package being routed to the incorrect post office. So plan now will be for this coming Saturday, with cold rain and possible snow mix in the forecast. Urghhhh. But will still be better than a Saturday without a new Dave's Picks :-D)

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

May 1, 2020 Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS, USPS Awaiting Item

For five days this is what tracking has said. Now says out for delivery!

Keep the faith it's coming.

user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

This show is unreal when compared to the cassette tape I had from earlier! Yes, yes, yes. Also thank you to that board member who was speaking of a cache of entrusted photos from a long gone friend. I asked for them to be posted and you mentioned that had to go somewhere special or nowhere at all. I was a hopeful but didn't know I'd be seeing some of them inside this newest Dave's Picks. Nice work sir, your dear friend would be proud where they ended up and now they are forever part of the Dead Archive, very very cool! Not to mention an honorable word from Dave himself. Cheers!

user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

In reply to by HaGizMo

Yeah we are talking about the same show, that Field Trip disc was unreleased and is back in print with a remastering as someone mentioned. Can't wait til my copy arrives and give it fresh listen, but the vinyl for RSD 2020 in June has really got me drooling. Now I can have the whole damn day on vinyl. Weird how this stuff can just be had from another time and place, wonderful.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Crazy cowboy guy, always shooting guns around Bugs Bunny right?

user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

In reply to by Dennis

So, according to the tracking for DaP 34, "Shipment received acceptance pending" at my local P.O. But nothing yet, so I called the P.O. and the helpful guy there informed me that no, the package is not there and in fact Dave's 34 is "not even in the system yet." Meaning that the sender generated the label and the P.O. theoretically accepted the assignment to transport... but the actual physical object has never been brought to the Post Office for shipping. It's not that it is stuck at the P.O. -- according to this guy, it has not even been sent yet.

Can anybody help with this? I tried to PM Marye but her name is not accepted when I try to type it in... Is there an email I can try? Dr. Rhino or someone? This is frustrating... First world problems I know, but still.

Thanks...

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Maine Dave

I had the pending status until yesterday evening too, but then bing bang boom, out for delivery. just hang on tight :)

user picture

Member for

16 years 2 months

I have the same this thing here in Maryland. UPS and USPS are both pointing fingers at each other, and playing the COVID19 card.

I just want a realistic expectation for when I’ll receive this item. Instead it’s in a black hole.

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Yep, my Dave's has also been hung up since Saturday morning when UPS handed it over to USPS. No further updates since then. USPS tracking still says, "Your shipment was received at 9:00 am on May 2, 2020 in MIDLAND, TX 79711. The acceptance of your package is pending." UPS tracking still states package will be "delivered on May 2 by end of day." Lame.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

My copy was received by UPS in Fontana, CA on Mayday. The same day it got passed to the post office and subsequently processed by the international carrier. Now it seems to be waiting on a trans-pond flight. Could be a while due to the current paucity of flights.

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

Mine came yesterday, one for me and one for my brother. I live in the S.F. Bay Area. Now it's time for the Workingman"s Dead & American Beauty 50th anniversary release. I hope they release a full live 1970 show for each one, acoustic and electric. Or maybe more, maybe a 10 show box set, more the merrier! It will probably go on sale in June.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I received this on Friday, which was a nice surprise because it seems I typically receive mine at the end of the delivery cycle for this side of the pond, despite dwelling close to the center of the postal universe.

I'm through the 1st set and my first impression is that Garcia's lead playing during Bobby's verse singing is just off the charts. He's not really playing fills. He's playing continuously and its just blistering, interesting note runs he's absolutely nailing. Particularly on Black Throated Wind and El Paso.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Dead - 4-29-72 - Hamburg
Dylan - Knocked Out Loaded
Dylan - Oh Mercy
Dylan - Pat Garret and Billy the Kid
Dylan - Street Legal

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 7 months

In reply to by Slow Dog Noodle

Finished DaP 34 this morning, which was sweet!

Garcia Live #13 arrived this morning! How convenient! Will probably segue into some Bruce after that.

Cannot wait for the Workingman's/Beauty 50ths. Hope they do a compete show release with them, and/or release the rest of 2/13-14.

Tidbit: 1970 and 1971 fare the worst in terms of top 10 (via DeadBase) shows being fully released. Neither year has fully released top 10 show.

Though 5/2/70 and 5/15/70 are only missing one song. 2/13&14 are missing big chunks/all of the early shows. Nada from the other 6 top 10s that year.

The closest '71 comes is 8/6 from Dicks 35, but it is missing 8 songs. 4/27-28-29 are partials (Skull & Roses, Ladies & Gentleman) with big chunks missing and 10/31 (Dicks 2) is just the 2nd set.

1974 is unique in that with Da34, all 10 of the top 10 shows have now at least been partially released. Only 3 are complete: 5/19 (PNW), 2/24 (Da13), and 6/23 (Da34). 10/18-19-20 are partials (Steal Your Face, GD movie + bonus + Soundtrack, So Many Roads) missing 10+ songs each. 6/26-28 are split on Dick's 12, most/all of the 2nd sets; half on 6/18 is RT2#3, and 8/6 has 5 songs of filler on D31.

Anywho, I'd love for them to go back and complete/finish some of the iconic shows that are incomplete. Be it as part of a larger box (Fillmore '70, Closing of Fillmore East '71, Winterland '74), as part of anniversary releases, or utilizing filler space better on yearly Dave's releases.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

This is CRAZY Nothing was updated from May1st until noon today Mat 5th. May 1st it was supposed to arrive at post office but when I called they had no record. Then today. 4 and a half days later it arrived and when I called they said it would be delivered tomorrow. The post office said UPS may have said it arrived at the loading dock but until the post office scans it is is officially NOT ARRIVED. My post office did say there has been a lot of confusion with a lot of tracking numbers ???

As lone as I get it but this is CRAZY.......................I would say be Patient it will show up

Also does anyone out there have the first issue of High Times Magazine? I have two that have the same insides but the cover is different ( same lady eating a mushroom ) but one is Paper and one is like a foil?? and the type margin is different for the list of what is inside.

Chuck

user picture

Member for

4 years 6 months

No status until last night. It was in my mailbox this morning (in Phoenix, AZ). I am ripping it right now - can't wait to listen to it after work tonight!

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Ripping now. I understand it has beat that's great to spackle by.

….. I can lay spackle much longer, my arms are getting tired.
Those corners kept me up past 4....

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

....so what's up with so many people having this shipment fall into a black hole once it supposedly gets to the post office? Same thing as others have described is happening on this end as well; it's been sitting since May 1st at a somewhat local post office with a status of "package acceptance pending". WTF does THAT mean? It's been there since FRIDAY. I get there is a pandemic - and other shipping priorities - but this is just looking like incompetence or perhaps some other tracking snafu that is more pervasive than I might have suspected.

Hopefully this gets "unstuck" in the system....I will try calling tomorrow if my email sent today goes unanswered....I don't have high hopes.

Glad others are receiving and it's sounding as it should....aka excellent.

Sixtus

user picture

Member for

12 years 6 months

Just sounds so damn good on Dave's 34...the band is rocking-and-rollin, hitting on all cylinders, sounding like they're having a blast! I kind of wish the band would have added this tune to their set lists a lot more often, maybe splitting time with "Big River".....so much potential there.

user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

I cannot believe the clarity of this show. This is definitely going in my top 10 Dave's Picks rotation. I've been listening to it through my studio monitors and it's mind blowing! The band is so tight, Bobby's vocals are pitch perfect, Jerry's playing is impeccable, the entire band is hitting every note with perfect timing...including Donna! What a great set...I just wonder why this didn't come out sooner. Thanks Dave!

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Usually you get a UPS tracing number with your shipping email that didn't happen this time we got the USPS tracking which usually isn't updated till UPS hands it over to USPS.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 3 months

Wow! Thanks DL and team. This release is already in my top 5 DP shows, and maybe climbing! Jerry's work on Lay Me Down, and some of his runs throughout the show are amazing. Definitely looking for more versions of Let It Rock.... so tasty. And Cumberland Blues, which is THE song that sucked me into this Dead Life; I haven't heard one that tops this version.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Numb

....agreed on both counts. Top 5 Dave's for sure, maybe top 3. Cumberland from E72 is what got me on the bus as well, and this version is also Top 5 I've heard, maybe Top 3.
https://archive.org/details/gd1974-06-23.mtx.seamons.105983.flac16/gd74…
....for those who haven't got it yet, and don't mind cheating, take a gander!
Bonus disc tonight.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I can't stay here much longer, Melinda
The sun is getting high

Dark Star jam working on 2-3rd listening....blah blah i know bigger things right now but missing some Stanley Cup Playoffs...last five pretty much Dead with this and tons of May shows 5/5/77 New Haven kicked off light box

user picture

Member for

7 years

My Dap has stalled at Shrewsbury USPS since may 1st.. I'm not really worried yet. Mabey a little. I have been spinning giants box today.

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

This one is definitely a winner! Ok, it's time to release the October 74 Winterland shows as a complete box set, probably have videos to go along with it!

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by carlo13

The Grateful Goddamned Dead.

Too funny.. one of the releases I was most excited for and the mail is all over the place. I can't get a good read on where mine is, where it's going and when it will get here. It puts things in perspective though.. our good friends across the pond and around the globe go through this every time.

I think we can chill out a little and just take this one. We've been waiting 46 years for this, what's another week.

If I had to guess, I expect mail innovations is at least a partial contributor to the schizophrenic deliver this time. Well, mail innovations combined with a peak period in covid19 destruction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H1lcubN0oE

Be safe all.. taking some creative liberties with a Jimmy Martin tune.. be thankful you're living, drink up and stay home.

user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who weighed in on the mailing snafu... I thought I was 1 in a million but having read that many others are going through the same weirdness, I feel a bit better. Not that I'm happy that others are stalled out as well, but... I guess it feels better to know that I'm not the only one? Like, maybe this is an issue that will work itself out, given the odd circumstances we're all living under these days.

Perspective helps, as they say.

Also, thanks to the kind folks who sent me PMs.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled... err... June box, I guess? And keep washing your hands, everybody...

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I like hearing the perspectives of the folks who don't post much. I see people with accounts opened years ago I've never heard of, and with good food for thought. Keep postin'

It is a fact that I can't remember these numbered volumes and dates on most of these releases. Sure I know 5/2/70 is DP 8 / Harpur College; 5/8/77 is The Monster at Barton Hall from GSTL; 8/13/75 is One From the Vault. Those big shows are easy enough; but more times than not I need a title, and the title hast to come from something significant about the show or album cover artwork: Skeleton Skaters; Scooby Doo House; Opium at the Orpheum; Return to Normal with the Grateful Dead, and so on and so on.

After reading Doc's name in lights in the DaP 34 booklet, I have the just exactly perfect title: "Forensic Photos"

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

Great tune, I saw Garcia and Grisman play it at the Warfield Theatre. Great version on the Good Ole Boys cd.

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

I love the Jam into Ship Of Fools to kick off the second set. I also love the US Blues Jam out of Spanish Jam.
Dicks Picks 12 — 6/28/74 Boston has a spectacular US Blues Jam out of a Weather Report Suite and a Mind Left Body Jam.
Clearly the band was playing at a very high level IMO

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 5 months

...for whom USPS shows a status of "USPS Currently Awaiting Package"?

user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

A number of us have gotten the "awaiting" message and then it just shows up at the door. I got one and mine still said awaiting even after delivery the other day. I'd like to say it's the pandemic but it's not, there a monkey driving this locomotive and some times he jumps the track...

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-34.html