• 2,197 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    "To my ears, the best Dead shows are those that not only fit the criteria that make them amongst the best of a year, but that are also completely unique for their era—shows that fit perfectly into their year of performance, but also fall somewhat outside of the norm for that year. Harpur College, Veneta, Cornell, Cape Cod, and Augusta are all shows that are objectively excellent, and if they are not the best from their respective years of performance, they are certainly unique. Miami 6/23/74 falls into that category: not only one of the very best shows from this outstanding year, but also one of the most interesting and unique. It’s certainly worthy of many, many deep listens." - David Lemieux

¡Ándale, ándale! ¡Arriba, arriba! We're back with a hot one from Miami, F-L-A. DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 34 features the complete show from the Jai Alai Fronton, 6/23/74, one with unparalleled sound quality due in equal parts to the Wall Of Sound and the beautiful sonic clarity of Kidd Candelario's tapes. The first set is chock full of dynamite takes on classics like "Ramble On Rose," "Mississippi Half-Step," and "Cumberland Blues." The second set delivers on the JAMS - one leading into a gorgeous "Ship Of Fools," one rare instrumental version of "Dark Star," and a "Spanish Jam," this is Miami after all! The show also offers up a "first" and an "only" - the former, a Seastones set featuring Phil and Ned Lagin and the latter, the sole Grateful Dead performance of Chuck Berry's "Let It Rock."

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.34: JAI ALAI FRONTON, MIAMI, FL 6/23/74 has been mastered from the 7.5 IPS reel-to-reel tapes to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman. ¡Agarrarlo mientras esta calientito! (Get it while it's hot!)

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Subscribed to Dave's Picks? With this release, you'll also get a bonus disc with selections from Miami 6/22/74. Excellente!

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Bolderdash
    Any sub/bonus-disc versions that are unnumbered?

This is kind of an odd question but I am wondering if anyone is aware of the existence of subscriber versions of this (with the bonus disc) that are NOT numbered? The reason I ask is because when this was released, my order got utterly lost en route, and so I contacted Dead.net for a replacement. IIRC, the title was already sold out, and yet I got a replacement with the subscriber bonus disc, which made me happy. I had been so anxious to hear an official version of these shows that by the time the replacement was sent, I had already obtained the digital audio files from what may or may not have been nefarious means.. So I kept my copy sealed. Then, lo and behold, months later my original order shows up at my door, and in one piece too!

But I've been hanging on to that replacement order for years now, and since times are especially tough in my house, I'm considering selling it for whatever the invisible hand of the market decides its worth. However, I can't discover whether or not it is a numbered copy without breaking the shrink wrap. So back to my question - are they any known *unnumbered* copies of this or any other DP entries that shipped with a bonus disc? I've also heard of people collecting the unnumbered / promo copies, which seems weird to me (it's not like promo vinyl where there are sound quality reasons to want a white-label promo).

On a related note, I received another unnumbered copy, this time DP 49, in February, and Dead.net replied to my inquiry in record time and sent out a replacement via FedEx lickity-split. I've also had a few vinyl orders that shipped out FedEx as the default lately. Good on them for (finally) upping their shipping game!

• uncle_tripel

...thanks for passing on the photo's from Jai-Alai from your friend, just looking at them as I load up disc 1 for today's LET IT ROCK n roll show. Sending MANY healing VIBES your way!

PEACE ALL!
    uncle_tripel

• uncle_tripel

keep'em comin', more '74!
    celebrating 50 years!!

uncle_tripel

• icecrmcnkd

Yes, it was available for $28.98 last Thursday.

9-8-73, -2-23-74, 11-2-69/12-26-69 still available.

• icecrmcnkd

I think that 6-23-74 was just available last week as part of the warehouse finds.

• OpenYourEyes
    Please re-release this one or make it available digitally!

See subject.
    Such a shame that these great releases get locked away or only available to those who can pay super inflated prices on the reseller market!

• Forensicdoceleven
    You are the music while the music lasts......

DEWAJACK check your pm..............................

Rock on,

Doc

• daverock

I often look on Discogs site to see if there are second hand box sets that I am looking for. I can't say I have ever bought a Dead show from them-and those I have looked at don't come cheap. But I have found bargains by other artists-so it's worth a look if you haven't checked them out before.

• dewajack
    Default Avatar

Long time Dead listener. I've purchased Dead shows on and off through the years, but have missed the boat on many great shows officially released in recent years due to life's demands. Last item I purchased was "Get Shown the Light." I was wondering is there anywhere to buy sold out official Dead releases for a reasonable price anywhere? I get on eBay and about pass out when I see the prices listed for individual Dave's Picks. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Forensicdoceleven

Well, finally got my stuff, not exactly what I asked for but it'll have to do. Better late than never, I suppose...........

Nothing left to discuss here, let's move on,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Doc
    Gratitude is when memory is stored in the heart and not in the mind

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 2 months

"To my ears, the best Dead shows are those that not only fit the criteria that make them amongst the best of a year, but that are also completely unique for their era—shows that fit perfectly into their year of performance, but also fall somewhat outside of the norm for that year. Harpur College, Veneta, Cornell, Cape Cod, and Augusta are all shows that are objectively excellent, and if they are not the best from their respective years of performance, they are certainly unique. Miami 6/23/74 falls into that category: not only one of the very best shows from this outstanding year, but also one of the most interesting and unique. It’s certainly worthy of many, many deep listens." - David Lemieux

¡Ándale, ándale! ¡Arriba, arriba! We're back with a hot one from Miami, F-L-A. DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 34 features the complete show from the Jai Alai Fronton, 6/23/74, one with unparalleled sound quality due in equal parts to the Wall Of Sound and the beautiful sonic clarity of Kidd Candelario's tapes. The first set is chock full of dynamite takes on classics like "Ramble On Rose," "Mississippi Half-Step," and "Cumberland Blues." The second set delivers on the JAMS - one leading into a gorgeous "Ship Of Fools," one rare instrumental version of "Dark Star," and a "Spanish Jam," this is Miami after all! The show also offers up a "first" and an "only" - the former, a Seastones set featuring Phil and Ned Lagin and the latter, the sole Grateful Dead performance of Chuck Berry's "Let It Rock."

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.34: JAI ALAI FRONTON, MIAMI, FL 6/23/74 has been mastered from the 7.5 IPS reel-to-reel tapes to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman. ¡Agarrarlo mientras esta calientito! (Get it while it's hot!)

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Subscribed to Dave's Picks? With this release, you'll also get a bonus disc with selections from Miami 6/22/74. Excellente!

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

You'd get right to work if you had any sense,
You know the one thing we need is a left-hand monkey wrench.

- That's cool about 2/21/71

user picture

Member for

7 years

Let me know if you get a response from your email. No need both of us sending an email. Thanks. That hatchet looks cool.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Finishing up a first listen to 6/23/74, haven't had a chance to listen to the bonus disc yet, but this is good stuff. Also beyond psyched to see the Workingman's Dead 50th anniversary release bonus is 2/21/71 from the multi-track recordings, should sound fantastic and I've wanted more from that run of shows since 3FTV came out. I don't know what they have planned for the second half of the year, but so far the releases this year have been spectacular on all levels.

user picture

Member for

7 years

Are we commenting and listening to this show tomorrow?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by carlo13

....you're on the wrong board. I'm getting confused now too. After Workingman's announcement, i now have four pages bookmarked. This one, '76 Box, Workingman's and Pick of the Day with discussion. Whew!! A Workingman's day is never done i tell you.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Plus an extra 3 Playing in the Bands. I'm leaving the full show for tonight. Absolutely astounding how good this shit sounds. The transition into Wharf Rat is worth the price of admission.

Kind of an odd way to release the second Port Chester show, but I did just find out a minute ago and I am out walking in the rain. Headed straight home to order that fucker. Did they say how many are being released? My phone is full of water and I can't scroll or do shit. I better not miss out on this Portchester show. All right, I'm coming out! Any man I see out there, I'm gonna kill him! Any sonofabitch takes a shot at me.. I'm not only gonna kill him, I'm gonna kill his wife, all his friends, and burn his damn house down! Anybody don't want to get killed better head out the back!

user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

Nice unforgiven reference! I love that movie, I'll watch it anytime I see it on. "I'll see you in hell William Munny"......"yup"

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

I got home and I ordered it. And I decided before I start dinner here, before I even logged back into this Dave's Picks 34 page that I would post a little YouTube clip I thought I recalled of Bugs Bunny saying something to the effect of "oops, I lost my composure for a second there". But I couldn't remember which episode it was from or anything and I just decided screw it, that's enough Shenanigans for 1 hour. And then of all the avatars for you to have..... it's not as though I've seen it before. Uncanny. But you can't beat classic Bugs.....

Icecreamconekid- do you get up at 7 and go to work at 9? Do you get home at 5 and take yourself out an ice cold beer? And finally, do you always seem to be wondering why there's nothing going down here? If so, I think you've more than likely reached the correct self-diagnosis.

user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

Ahhh, classic bugs. I cant recall which episode u speak of, and I thought I remembered them all. Most of all, I thank bugs for all the classical and opera music I was exposed to at a young age. LOVE the barber of Seville, also the spear and magic helmet episode! My avatar is actually a gif where they just keep taking turns ripping off the posters. Funny I always figured bugs to be the deadhead...

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Don’t ever forget.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 9 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

Sent you a pm

user picture

Member for

6 years 7 months

What Jim said makes perfect sense and also bodes well for the crowd in general. There's like nothing available from the second half of 70 anyway because Bear was off getting arrested. We are finally after more than 10 years getting another show coming out of that Port Chester run which people have been clamoring for every time there's talk about a box set of the year. If I'm Dave Lemieux, I think the real rip-off is selling a six show box set where everyone has one of the shows already anyway. He's probably thinking this is perfect. We'll get some great multi-track shows out with what's already a successful anniversary program of releases (and I'm assuming we'll get another one with American Beauty 50th), and then three more from Port Chester that can come out as a 3 show box at any old time. He's probably reading his comments I'm thinking these people to smoke too much weed.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Mind-Left-Body

....I occasionally tip, but yea, KISS does rule! And dead.net wants to sell me a sharp object. 2020 Kicks Axe!!
Re: 2.21.71. There's a 1 1/3 Ripple, an early Greatest Story, an Easy Wind (can't really say truthfully you can't get enough of those) and a King Bee. I'm AOK over here.
Oops. Wrong board. Dammit!.
Current listening as I type? Low Budget - The Kinks. Finishing up now.
. Still working through the catalog.

....OK, so I'm only four minutes in, and it is spot on and glorious. Phil took command so hard, he made Weir forget the words. Love it. Playin' In The Band indeed.
I pray that the heads that haven't received this yet get it soon. Godspeed.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Vguy72

....yet cohesive. Ebb and Flow. Ying and Yang. Cheech and Chong. Then they proceed to tidy it up and bring it back together in a nice little bow into the final turn. Jerry even throws out a little flair as a crescendo because he knows they blew the roof off. Outstanding musicianship and a very impressive Playin'.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

My copy is now trackable through USPS using the UPS Alternate Tracking Number. It would seem to be on its way across the pond. Tracking information states:

Your item was processed through our LOS ANGELES CA INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER facility on May 1, 2020 at 11:09 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by gratefulgerd

Better call Saul!
Blew through all 5 seasons of BB and that El Camino movie. Definetly good shite, but I wouldn’t call it “the GOAT”. I will say that it was hard for me to like Walt. Besides being a colossal dumbass, he was kind of a prick too. Saúl on the other hand cracks me up. Just finished season 1 of Better Call.....good sheet, finally watched after hearing about it all these years!

Oh, and Dave’s 34 for all you unfortunate bastards suffering the consequences of New Release Envy......it is real, and it’s spectacular! And once again I think the bonus disc steals the show! 8 red sweethearts outta 10! ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
Hope y’all receive yours soon!

This just in; Brian Howe of Bad Company has joined the ancestors. May the four winds blow him saftley home.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by carlo13

....still-a-rollin' by over here. No sign of DaP34 emerging from the black hole that is my local postal hub. I've replied back to THEIR email to me sayin' "we'll be in touch within 24 hours...." cause, guess what? FAIL!

Time will tell if this has the mass to escape said Black Hole or if it will end up on the other side of oblivion with Maximilian embodied by Dr. Reinhardt...

Glad to hear this is a virtual knockout, otherwise!
Sixtus

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 9 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

Dude, I know from your posts you live close by, I am in Westborough. My post office just assured me that mine was out for delivery and I should be seeing it this afternoon. 😀 Thought this might help.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Took a break from the ‘home office’ that I’ve been working from as of late to take a drive and spin the first disc. After spending so much time within June 76's warm butter, the first set playing in ‘74 by comparison sounds really dry and arid. A whole lot of open space around those notes. But it’s what makes a solo like heard in this To Lay Me Down sound as poignant as it does. The music didn’t melt but my head sure did! Wow. Felt good.

user picture

Member for

15 years 4 months

I'm in the same black hole here in CA... UPS Tracking shows DaP34 was handed off to USPS on 5/1. USPS tracking shows Pre-Shipment since 4/30. I've just opened a lost mail inquiry...

Can't wait to eventually hear this. It's great to read all the rave reviews, but also kind of like torture.

In the meantime, I just picked up a copy of DiP19... the whole second set is spectacular.

I love that with this band and this community I'm still finding things that can surprise and delight me.

Cheers all.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by GratefulFreak8

Perhaps my favorite Dicks. Yeah that second set is like Bubble’s water bong.....”it’s so smooth”

EDIT: thanks Jeff! Hope all y’all hanging in there with all you folks have going on....

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Finally listened last night. Overall, very good. Folks comment on the excellent sound quality. Like a lot of 74, the vocals come across as flat and thin. The jam before Ship of Fools is the highlight for me.

Bickershaw. I forgot how good that was. A raging Other One. That and 4/14 have been the renewed surprises so far.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

Pony Express brought 3480 to my cave in the hills. Hope other riders are out delivering right now those straggling copies. Super excited, but won't get a deep listen in until the weekend. Among all the goodness in this release, love to hear that the Playing from first night goes way way out. '74 is peak Playing in the Band for me, with Des Moines 6/16 the first tape to show me that glorious many-faceted world back long ago.
Good luck to those still waiting on their copy. Stay safe and healthy everyone.

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

Alright was at post office today to mail a few things and I asked about if they have been seeing delays from UPS. She said they saw a lot of what we are experiencing at Christmas time. She also gave me some info, tracking numbers that start with 1 are at UPS. when the post office gets it the generate a tracking number that starts with 9... Check it out and see if it is true. Anyone else have a 9 tracking number from the post office to prove her theory, i was a little out of it when she told me. Just curious Bob t

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by bob t

i have my mail innovations package in front of me. It has an MMID# which can be tracked at UPS website and shows every step of the journey. There is no corresponding barcode which can be scanned. It does not appear to be a typical UPS tracking #, more digits and begins with an 8. The primary tracking # is a USPS number beginning with 9 and a corresponding barcode. USPS only tracks this package from time it has been handed over to them by UPS. In years past, I think we were usually given a tracking # from UPS, so we could see it go through Hodgkins, IL 3 times (yep I saw that happen) and stuff like that. This year its the USPS # and that means a days long black hole of waiting for an update until its handed over. good luck everybody.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

After a uniquely nice DS the Spanish Jam is ‘ill’ in the parlance of my 15 yr old...or going back a few years, Sick...or going back to when I was a lad, it’s Bad!

user picture

Member for

7 years

I'm here in Framingham, MA. and the Shrewsbury usps is still in limbo since may 1st. The track # from usps site begins with #9. Thanks for helping.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

This is an incredible run. Especially 3/24. That Let It Grow wildly intense.
What's with the booing in between songs on 3/24 (and maybe some on 3/23 too) ?
The crowd is very obvously into the show, so I don't know what the booing is about. Anyone know?

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

4 years 7 months

Bought my 34 a la carte and got a shipping notice on May 1. Since then USPS tracking has said in bold red letters "USPS currently awaiting package" and has not updated since. No info on whether or not they have it in their possession or not. Giving it until Monday before I contact Dead/USPS

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

Sitting here in limbo!!!! Is the Chicken Bone still open in Framingham? Lived in Natick for a year or so use to love to get wings from there!!! That was back in 96 so it could be long gone!!! Bob t

I was there.. I haven't a clue what the booing was about, but my memories of events that happened 33 years ago are scant. When were people booing? Most of that run is on YouTube.. perhaps that will help solve the riddle.

Maybe a door pop or asshole rowdy crowd actions? Watching one of the YouTubes now, the Hampton Spaceship could really bring out the energy in people.

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

In reply to by JimInMD

So listened on archive last evening and today

Used to not like 2 20 71

Warmed up to it last time

Sounded very sweet last evening and today

God bless the Grateful Dead

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Thanks, I went back and watched the video for 3/24/87. It looks like they were booing because someone threw a glowstick or something on stage. It actually appears to happen twice, but no booing until the 2nd time.

https://youtu.be/D_D4hw4CQRU?t=438 - The booing starts around 7:18 if anyone wants to see.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by mustin321

....phish has entered the chat and farts in your general direction.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I contain multitudes.

New Dylan album announced for June, first album of originals since Tempest on 9/11/12! So many years before.

Also a (third) new single, False Prophet, to compliment the Frankincense (Murder Most Foul) and Myrrh most foul (I Contain Multitudes) of the last month.

With the now expected terrible Dylan Clipart cover, the album Rough & Rowdy Ways named after a 1929 song by the Singing Brakeman, Jimmie Rodgers. Aka the guy that also wrote Blue Yodel #8...uh...Muleskinner Blues...

I opened my heart to the world, and the world came in.

user picture

Member for

7 years

Bob, the chicken bone saloon has been closed for almost 18 years. Its a Mexican restaurant now. I wonder why at least 4 people from Massachusetts on this site have the same date of may 1st. All 4 of us have a stalled package at same usps with no change. The booing was probably college students that came in around the late 80s just for the party and not the dead. I used to see whole groups of them at the east coast shows and they would mock some deadheads into fights and to
harrass beer vendors in the parking lots. This was getting to be a problem going into the 90s for sure.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 1 month

Where is my copy of Dave's Picks #34 with bonus disc? supposedly it was sent out on April 27th 2020 with a tracking number but the Post office has not received the item with that tracking number yet and it's May 8th 2020 already! What's going on?

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by carlo13

I see my fellow local tribe members remain in limbo with delivery since the last ill-fated USPS communique of May 1st. To this end, I was able to speak with a kind gentlemen at the Shrewsbury Post yesterday afternoon. It was bit convoluted what I learned, and I will attempt to adequately summarize: in short, he said UPS still had the package. The hand off to the US Post Office hadn't occurred yet; in fact, he was able to see more than I could and noted that it was actually en route to my local Sudbury post office as of yesterday and he said it appeared it would land there today. Time will tell. Apparently, the hand off that is supposed to occur between UPS and USPS has been delayed (you DON't SAY!) and that the couple of different tracking numbers had created a bit of confusion given the pandemic, reduced staff, and carrier pigeons being on vacation. He said I could try calling my local post office later today to see if they have it - they should be able to track it with the number we have received.

So, there we have it - unfortunately nothing set it stone, but perhaps it is one step closer. I was honestly just glad it wasn't sitting in a bin somewhere discarded - which I mentioned in a quip-like fashion, to which he double-reassured me this was not the case and that it was indeed accounted-for, and moving through the system.

Fingers crossed - I'll keep folks posted if the proverbial Miracle happens to land.

Be Well People!
Sixtus

user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

I remember some mocking from those fratboys going on in the late eighties, not towards me, but I saw a few confrontations, mostly talk and disrespect, seems like they just wanted to be loaded and ruin everyone's fun. The only thing I ever threw on stage was joints and I never got booed for that.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-34.html