• 2,197 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    "To my ears, the best Dead shows are those that not only fit the criteria that make them amongst the best of a year, but that are also completely unique for their era—shows that fit perfectly into their year of performance, but also fall somewhat outside of the norm for that year. Harpur College, Veneta, Cornell, Cape Cod, and Augusta are all shows that are objectively excellent, and if they are not the best from their respective years of performance, they are certainly unique. Miami 6/23/74 falls into that category: not only one of the very best shows from this outstanding year, but also one of the most interesting and unique. It’s certainly worthy of many, many deep listens." - David Lemieux

¡Ándale, ándale! ¡Arriba, arriba! We're back with a hot one from Miami, F-L-A. DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 34 features the complete show from the Jai Alai Fronton, 6/23/74, one with unparalleled sound quality due in equal parts to the Wall Of Sound and the beautiful sonic clarity of Kidd Candelario's tapes. The first set is chock full of dynamite takes on classics like "Ramble On Rose," "Mississippi Half-Step," and "Cumberland Blues." The second set delivers on the JAMS - one leading into a gorgeous "Ship Of Fools," one rare instrumental version of "Dark Star," and a "Spanish Jam," this is Miami after all! The show also offers up a "first" and an "only" - the former, a Seastones set featuring Phil and Ned Lagin and the latter, the sole Grateful Dead performance of Chuck Berry's "Let It Rock."

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.34: JAI ALAI FRONTON, MIAMI, FL 6/23/74 has been mastered from the 7.5 IPS reel-to-reel tapes to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman. ¡Agarrarlo mientras esta calientito! (Get it while it's hot!)

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Subscribed to Dave's Picks? With this release, you'll also get a bonus disc with selections from Miami 6/22/74. Excellente!

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Bolderdash
    Any sub/bonus-disc versions that are unnumbered?

This is kind of an odd question but I am wondering if anyone is aware of the existence of subscriber versions of this (with the bonus disc) that are NOT numbered? The reason I ask is because when this was released, my order got utterly lost en route, and so I contacted Dead.net for a replacement. IIRC, the title was already sold out, and yet I got a replacement with the subscriber bonus disc, which made me happy. I had been so anxious to hear an official version of these shows that by the time the replacement was sent, I had already obtained the digital audio files from what may or may not have been nefarious means.. So I kept my copy sealed. Then, lo and behold, months later my original order shows up at my door, and in one piece too!

But I've been hanging on to that replacement order for years now, and since times are especially tough in my house, I'm considering selling it for whatever the invisible hand of the market decides its worth. However, I can't discover whether or not it is a numbered copy without breaking the shrink wrap. So back to my question - are they any known *unnumbered* copies of this or any other DP entries that shipped with a bonus disc? I've also heard of people collecting the unnumbered / promo copies, which seems weird to me (it's not like promo vinyl where there are sound quality reasons to want a white-label promo).

On a related note, I received another unnumbered copy, this time DP 49, in February, and Dead.net replied to my inquiry in record time and sent out a replacement via FedEx lickity-split. I've also had a few vinyl orders that shipped out FedEx as the default lately. Good on them for (finally) upping their shipping game!

• uncle_tripel

...thanks for passing on the photo's from Jai-Alai from your friend, just looking at them as I load up disc 1 for today's LET IT ROCK n roll show. Sending MANY healing VIBES your way!

PEACE ALL!
    uncle_tripel

• uncle_tripel

keep'em comin', more '74!
    celebrating 50 years!!

uncle_tripel

• icecrmcnkd

Yes, it was available for $28.98 last Thursday.

9-8-73, -2-23-74, 11-2-69/12-26-69 still available.

• icecrmcnkd

I think that 6-23-74 was just available last week as part of the warehouse finds.

• OpenYourEyes
    Please re-release this one or make it available digitally!

See subject.
    Such a shame that these great releases get locked away or only available to those who can pay super inflated prices on the reseller market!

• Forensicdoceleven
    You are the music while the music lasts......

DEWAJACK check your pm..............................

Rock on,

Doc

• daverock

I often look on Discogs site to see if there are second hand box sets that I am looking for. I can't say I have ever bought a Dead show from them-and those I have looked at don't come cheap. But I have found bargains by other artists-so it's worth a look if you haven't checked them out before.

• dewajack
    Default Avatar

Long time Dead listener. I've purchased Dead shows on and off through the years, but have missed the boat on many great shows officially released in recent years due to life's demands. Last item I purchased was "Get Shown the Light." I was wondering is there anywhere to buy sold out official Dead releases for a reasonable price anywhere? I get on eBay and about pass out when I see the prices listed for individual Dave's Picks. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Forensicdoceleven

Well, finally got my stuff, not exactly what I asked for but it'll have to do. Better late than never, I suppose...........

Nothing left to discuss here, let's move on,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Doc
    Gratitude is when memory is stored in the heart and not in the mind

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

"To my ears, the best Dead shows are those that not only fit the criteria that make them amongst the best of a year, but that are also completely unique for their era—shows that fit perfectly into their year of performance, but also fall somewhat outside of the norm for that year. Harpur College, Veneta, Cornell, Cape Cod, and Augusta are all shows that are objectively excellent, and if they are not the best from their respective years of performance, they are certainly unique. Miami 6/23/74 falls into that category: not only one of the very best shows from this outstanding year, but also one of the most interesting and unique. It’s certainly worthy of many, many deep listens." - David Lemieux

¡Ándale, ándale! ¡Arriba, arriba! We're back with a hot one from Miami, F-L-A. DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 34 features the complete show from the Jai Alai Fronton, 6/23/74, one with unparalleled sound quality due in equal parts to the Wall Of Sound and the beautiful sonic clarity of Kidd Candelario's tapes. The first set is chock full of dynamite takes on classics like "Ramble On Rose," "Mississippi Half-Step," and "Cumberland Blues." The second set delivers on the JAMS - one leading into a gorgeous "Ship Of Fools," one rare instrumental version of "Dark Star," and a "Spanish Jam," this is Miami after all! The show also offers up a "first" and an "only" - the former, a Seastones set featuring Phil and Ned Lagin and the latter, the sole Grateful Dead performance of Chuck Berry's "Let It Rock."

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.34: JAI ALAI FRONTON, MIAMI, FL 6/23/74 has been mastered from the 7.5 IPS reel-to-reel tapes to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman. ¡Agarrarlo mientras esta calientito! (Get it while it's hot!)

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Subscribed to Dave's Picks? With this release, you'll also get a bonus disc with selections from Miami 6/22/74. Excellente!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Is it too early to ask if anyone scanned the artwork for DaP 34 and bonus disc? Apparently I'm one of the few who received their copy? According to the posts I've read

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by kyleharmon

my guess (and if anybody has covered this earlier my apologies for redundancy) - with Mail Innovations, which is a tag team with UPS doing the long haul and handing package off to USPS for delivery, there appear to be 2 tracking #s generated, one for each entity. If you have been provided with a USPS tracking #, as I was (and guessing many others here also), UPS has to haul the package to your local USPS hub, hand it over to USPS, and then your USPS tracking # suddenly registers with USPS as a package actually moving, rather than a tracking number that has simply been generated. So its waiting, waiting, waiting with a generated tracking #, and then suddenly it shows up with USPS a day or so before delivery some locale half way close.. Seems imperfect and inherently frustrating."My" DaP 34 was in limbo for 4-5 days, then showed up at the the USPS hub for my area as a moving package in their system, this weekend, and was delivered to local post office today. sadly, i wasn't around, so its still there. tomorrow will be a good day.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

No, It's not too early to ask, but JeffSmith hasn't received his copy yet. There have been scans shared here though, Kyle. Just hop back a few pages and you should find them...

I hope this helps... :-)

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

Weir's comment at the beginnng of El Paso, courtesy of Kreutzmann taking off at breakneck pace is telling. Billy didn't really care for the cowboy songs and likely wanted it over, and is also antsy on the follower, To Lay Me Down.

Wonder why? Miami, 1974. Feels like a Johnny Depp movie.

Outstanding concert, though the sound is SO clear, crystalline and crisp, there's a certain amount of thick air missing (sorry, Bob).

I think to have been present and felt the air move would have enhanced this listen. That is not a complaint, only an observation. This setlist is supreme, the only dogs being Seastones and China Doll. China Doll is a casualty; it feels like a Lennon/McCartney song where Lennon rocked the verse and McCartney tanked the chorus.

Oh well. #16756 finally has a home in Denver. I actually listened to the bonus disc first; also brilliant, sans the lack of thick air.

\m/

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 7 months

Thanks to all involved on this release, it’s a gem! Absolutely delightful throughout. It may not be the COVID-19 cure but it sure makes us feel a lot better!
Hope everyone waiting gets theirs soon!
Keep ‘em coming, Dave, more, more, more!!!

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

And the tracking says "Pre-Shipment" on my subscription, and I grabbed an a la carte because I've always loved this show and am gonna give it to somebody who needs to hear it, and that one says "USPS Currently Awaiting Package". This does represent progress of a sort, perhaps, from the "Status Not Available" of a couple days ago, but it was the Bonus Disc one that I got screwed on last year. That was my first really bad experience with dead.net/Rhino as I got replacements for the ones lost in the warehouse move a couple weeks before DaP 32 came right at November 1. Hoping that a package awaits me at the mailbox tomorrow, and not more frustration.

Not that I lack for music, having just gotten the ABB Deluxe Edition of the 2/11, 13, 14/70 partial tapes Owsley made, along with the Doc and Merle box set Never the Same Way Once, also recorded by the alchemist, as well as Real Gone DP 36 and Road Trips 3.3 5/15/70. The wife was pleasantly surprised with how good they sounded on the acoustic portion, and was digging Good Lovin' as we took a little road adventure this past weekend.

Hope everybody gets their DaP's soon and in pristine condition, and stay safe, and crank up the music!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by alvarhanso

....well, it was only fractured and just a little nervous from the fall, to be fair.
Curious about why it feels like a Depp movie though. Bolo. Is that you?

I have two different orders for Dave’s Picks 34 in which the status showed “USPS Currently Awaiting Package”. Tonight, one of those orders now says “Pre Shipment”. To me, both of these mean the same thing, a tracking number has been generated but the package has not left the warehouse. The other weird thing, this is the first time I’ve had a DAP shipment start and finish with USPS. Anybody else with this problem live in Maryland? I’m hoping for one of those “suddenly on my doorstep miracles”.

....cue the slogan for 2020.
But seriously. I've had DAP's handed off from UPS to USPS. I've had DAP's delivered solely by either. Had one delivered by marye on a bike.
Stop Making Sense - Talking Heads.

user picture

Member for

7 years

What's with the avatar? It reminds me of a knitted illustration on some pot holders at my grandma's house. Just saying.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Looks like the current VGuy avatar is a cover from one of the Spring '90 TOO shows. But as fast as VGuy has been cycling through avatars lately I fully expect it may be something different before I finish this post;)

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Charlie3

....one of the Spring TOO shows. Its tomorrow's pick of the day, with commentary, which can be found here
https://www.dead.net/forum/pick-day-discussion.
Courtesy of deadvikes. Ever since bolo started this project, im trying to reflect said pick with my avatar. Consider it a friendly public service announcement.
Carlos's grandma has good taste.

user picture

Member for

7 years

Ha! That's funny. I think that's a good idea. Pot holders with a SYF logo on the dead.net product page.

user picture

Member for

7 years

I think I will jump in the fire for tomorrow's pick of the day. It's a good one for 1990. Althea has always been a favorite of mine.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Get a day job boys and girls? What's next, you're gonna tell me to grow up and act my age?

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Like LedDed, I also went with the bonus disc first. I've had a ton of interruptions since its arrival this afternoon, and I refuse to give THIS SHOW a half listen. So I've listened to the half-hour Playing in the Band 3 times now. It's one of the best I've ever heard. I'm finally getting on to China Cat.

LedDed, what's this thick air thing you mentioned?

So far, aside from listening to the 3 Playing in the Bands and now enjoying the outstanding mix of China Cat Sunflower, I'm back to wondering if they can re-engineer all of the Dick's Picks '74 tapes to make them sound this good, especially DP 7 & 31.

Also Led Ded - whoah wait, timeout- Rider just had a fucking moment and a half.....holy shit, I just keep thinking Doc hearad this shit in the same room by the young peaking Dead.

Anyway Led Ded , I started writing about order huge Zeppelin ahead I wasn't High School. I don't remember if I clicked the save button or nodded off and never posted it. Anyway, at the time The Song Remains the Same was all that was available for live Zeppelin, and I thought they sounded like shit. Then I saw them at Live Aid and thought they sounded like shit. I also saw them as Page / Plant a couple of times and they sounded great but that was not a true Zeppelin incarnation. Then I bought How the West Was Won and thought, hmmm that's better - who'da thunk it. Now I see there is so much good YouTube content of them live from '75 to '79 it's incredible. And I had read the Hammer of the Gods in high school, Anna touched upon their dabbling supposedly into Satan worship, and I did listen to Stairway to Heaven backwards on my turntable with my high achool buddy, right at "there's still time to change the road you're on" and the backward masked words are definitely there. Then I saw the 2007 O2 Arena concert at Best Buy when it first came out and bought it without a second thought.
I was surprised that this setlist selection, so good it was. And then I put the fucker on in my car on the way home and thought holyshit, I couldn't believe how good it sounded. Plant would do a tour with Page in the 90s but not see a Zeppelin reunion through? I believe Jimmy Page will outlive us all and once all of the witnesses are dead begin aging backwards. He doesn't really look any older except for the white hair, which looks pretty cool on him. Then I saw a documentary with Jimmy and Lori Maddox and thought, well at least he was enjoying the ride.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 3 months

I received no shipping notice, was checking my email in bow and spam folder for the past week and nothing. Much to my chagrin # 12557 arrived in Northwest Ohio. Hope this puts some who are still awaiting at ease. It's on next, right now it's a bit of 5/6/80 on Today In Grateful Dead history...

@KeithFan2112 About the only thing Jeff Norman could add to DiP 7 and 31 is Plangent Processing, which I believe he first used with the multitracks for the Cow Palace release in 2007, three years after DiP 31 came out Note that because DiP 7 and 31 are, like all in the series, only 2-track recordings, there is only so much he or anyone else can do (and nothing he can do in connection with the mix, which is set in stone). EQ, compression, Plangent Processing, various overall things like that, but as I indicated, all of that except for the Plangent Processing was presumably done with the original release. I doubt they'll go back to any pre-2007 2-track release just to add the Plangent.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Charlie3

Get off my lawn, hippie.

Edit: Shouldn't you be in school, get a haircut.

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

While recording/mixing the Anthem Of The Sun L.P., Bob Weir was trying to tell producer Dave Hassinger what he wanted to hear in the mix. “Right here, I want the sound of Thick Air”.
This comment seemingly was the last (Jack) straw for Hassinger,, who promptly quit the project. Weir later stated that at the time, he couldn’t accurately describe what he wanted, but many years later, described it as “a mix of white noise & compression“. Go figure.

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

You also thanks for letting me know...

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Anyone else notice that they printed a picture of Bobby in reverse, so that he appears to be left-handed? Sloppy.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by L. Mo.

....here's hoping he can play the slide better left-handed then.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

I highly highly highly recommend you go to the archive and listen to 5/6/70 today. One of my first tapes back in 82.

Oh how I wish it could be officializedly released.

The weather was apparently "too fucking cold", but wowzer. The music is HOT.

user picture

Member for

5 years 8 months

My copy has supposedly been in north Houston, about 2 hours from me, since Sunday. There’s been no updates on tracking, but I have been eagerly checking the mail box since then with no luck. I really hope it shows up today because I’m ready to dive into this thing..

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

stuck, lost, misplaced, missing, at post office, pending, what ever you want to call it, it still ain't here. Tracking says it's at the post office since 5/1, I guess it is so good, the mailmen have confiscated it and are listening to it before they rewrap and send to me? I don't know but I sure hope it gets here soon.
On a separate note, the t shirt is completely sold out, all sizes.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Another musical innovator gone. The sound of Kraftwerk is the sound of the modern world

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

This showed up for me on Monday along with DP 32 and Garcialive 13, banner day at the mailbox, but I haven't had a chance to listen before today. Currently on Let It Rock on disc 1 and so far so good. This is an excellent recording, kudos to Kidd Candelario. Everything is really balanced and the vocals are right where they should be, not sounding a little faded like some other '74 wall of sound recordings. And yeah, as others have noted, this is a really fine Cumberland ...

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

LOL V-guy

Or maybe all these years Bobby has had the slide on his right hand.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

I, out of the blue, decide to post a greeting auf Deutsch (in German). (Guten Abend, Herr grateful gerd!)

then I find out from Colin that Deutscher Florian Schneider has passed.

SHEESH.

Trans Europe Express and Computer World will be played sometime today.

Europe...endless (oder, entlos)

AUTOBAHN "die Sonne scheint, mit Glitzerstrahl"

:__(

Here's a raise of the glass to you, Florian.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

To Lay Me Down is sounding fucking amazing.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

The monkey's got the locomotive under control! It's that coked-up Casey that will likely cause the train to jump the tracks. :) (just don't be there when it rolls over . . . )

VGuy, you're killing it with the humor today!

DaP 34 (oh, the SOUND!) arrived Friday, the Rolling Stones Mono Box (oh, the SOUND!) arrived Monday, and GarciaLive 13 (with t-shirt (AND a Let It Rock)) arrived yesterday. A Steal Your Feathers hoodie supposedly shipped from Generation T Monday, and my Dancing Bears face mask should be on its way. Good week at my mailbox.

Be well, all!

user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

Just got mine, and read Dave's notes about a person who knew someone who has since passed on, and contributed their photos. Then in the credits the photos are attributed to ForensicDoc! Our buddy! I have been scarce here and may have missed this being discussed.... I know Doc had some health issues a few years back.... is he OK? Not sure if Doc contributed a friend's photos, or if someone contributed Doc's photos. Hope he's OK! Please someone fill me in, either publicly or with a direct message if you know anything.

And yay for the Workingman's Dead re-release and the attached 2/21/71 2-disc Bonus material. Ordering mine RIGHT NOW! Woohoo!

I hope Doc's OK. He was always a passionate advocate for 1971 on these boards, and even started a complete 1971 show-by-show analysis - shared with me the transcript of what he had so far at the time, and it was a great read.

user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

Hello fellow heads! Hope everyone is doing well. Just started listening and as others have said, sound is phenomenal!! Only up to half-step, but yeah, good stuff. So I noticed from the photos(thanks doc and docs friend) jerry is playing the wolf. Anyone know when he started playing this? I know it was damaged and not back till englishtown? As someone who works at the post office I can tell y'all if it's there it gets delivered. It doesn't sit around. Dont know why,but that tracking is definitely fubar. Mine said delivered last friday but didnt get it till monday. Wish I could be more help about it,but that's all I got. Workingman's looks great with bonus show!

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Thin

Doc was posting here last week.

Sorry to read of his passing. I agree that Kraftwerk were true musical innovators. I was lucky enough to see them in 1975, just after they had a hit single with Autobahn. They were truly unlike any other band I had ever seen, both in terms of sound and presentation. The future started there. Just played Radio Activity - great album.

user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

Thanks for the heads up icecrmkonkid - I'm kind of in a wind tunnel with work these days, crazy busy - Haven't been lurking too much (I think that's natural after 7 years of activity in these boards - it get's kinda redundant, and lord knows I contributed my fair share and folks know where I stand on... well, everything! - LOL).

Doc, SO glad you're well! My heart sank when I read that comment from Dave and then saw you referenced.... Rumors of your demise have been greatly exaggerated....

user picture

Member for

7 years

Strange. My dap has been at p.o. since may 1st with no movement too. I think new england has a stalled mail service since lots of people here are saying may 1st. Did you get yours yet sixtus? By the way I'm running with scissors.

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

In reply to by carlo13

...Running with Scissors = Dangerous yet Tempting

I have not received any updates - and, I am in the same boat - stuck in Shrewsbury at the Post Office apparently, since the common date of May 1st. I did, however, actually receive an email reply from the USPS last evening at 840 PM noting: "Your inquiry has been forwarded to the appropriate management team for research and response. You can expect initial contact within one-business day." That 'one-business day' is fast approaching it's end and I'm not overly optimistic.

Good thing I have this giant Lego Pirate-shipwreck to build and keep me occupied wile listening to GD on Sirius - now that my work day has wrapped. Wait, who am I kidding. I've been sayin' Arrrrggh! for the past several hours....

Sixtus

As I recall the relationship, Hassinger's troubled work during Anthem of the Sun included a long, unproductive session in New York involving Constanten's prepared grand piano. There was lots of downtime, and Hassinger sat in the control room, pissed off at the band and perhaps dosed. And he'd forgotten the room's monitors were cranked. Upon which somebody with no warning suddenly dropped a spinning top toy onto the piano's soundboard inside, creating a huge, otherworldly noise, and causing Hassinger to leap from his chair in terror. The end of this remarkable musique concrete passage, I didn't notice until years later when I graduated from vinyl to cd, included multiple members of the band lightly tapping their fingertips on the piano strings during the fade into The Other One. Until then, this delighful passage always had been drowned out by the record's surface noise. The album also includes perhaps and probably the only recorded holy grail of trios -- harpsichord, celeste, glockenspiel -- and this coming from a primitive hard rock band just starting its recording career. Wow and phew.

To me, Anthem remains a favorite production achievement of all time. Half a century later I'm still discovering new delights hidden within. And I hated it for the first few years because my college roommate back in 1969 played it all the time. Now, I can't thank him enough. Mixed for the hallucinations they said. Right-o.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

Wait for the Workingman's Dead Hatchet. Besides.. running with scissors is so 1990's. Now running down the road with a Workingman's Dead hatchet in each hand.. now that will get peoples attention. Put a little fake blood drooling out of the corner of your mouth for good measure.. but don't overdo it. Just a little dribble will get the point across.

What were they thinking.. making us all buy hatchets. They will be here just as we awaken from our shelter in place marathon.. oh.. it's going to be a good summer, I can tell. Better pony up a couple grand to get a decent lawyer on retainer just in case. Hatchets and scissors. Rock, paper, scissors, hatchet anyone?

edit: Couldn't agree more about Anthem.. far and away my favorite GD album. I think it's a masterpiece. I had never heard that story of Hassinger before.. probably dosed? Put's a whole new light on the subject. Thanks for sharing.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-34.html